[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ways to Fix the Comic Industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0679.jpg (61KB, 430x303px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0679.jpg
61KB, 430x303px
Should publishers and LCS destroy all remaining copies of comics that don't sell past the first week to create artificial scarcity and make comics rare again?
>>
How would that fix anything? You'd only be putting money into the pocket of other comic fans on the secondary market. It wouldn't make the companies more money.
>>
>>93461775
Publishers would keep an unknown number of backstock that they would essentially "vault" like Disney does and allow current copies to rise in value.

Comics aren't moving forward as a medium like video does. The essential comic experience is reading the stories on paper. Give that paper value and it'll be like an artificial currency.
>>
>>93461846
Or maybe a publisher could experiment with a line that they guarantee would never be published digitally.
>>
File: 2000px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png (122KB, 2000x4527px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png
122KB, 2000x4527px
What went wrong?
>>
>>93462211
Too much shit
>>
>>93462211
Not enough capeshit
>>
BRING BACK PULPPRINT/NEWSPRINT

I'd be able to give so many more comics a try if it cost only $1.50-2 for the first issues.
Just call the big fancy $4-5 gloss versions the "collector edition" of it.
Let us get back to wanting to pay for the story, not the paper.
>>
>>93462211
Aren't they the third biggest comic company in sales? Sounds like nothing went wrong.
>>
>>93462253
Exactly. Promote good stories by giving them the room they need and maybe boost the paper industry a bit at he same time.
>>
>>93462266
They were suppose to make the Big 2 into 3
>>
>>93462292
Actually they were just suppose to be an escape for artists to get away from the "oppressive" big 2, which it did just that. However most of those founders went back to the big two because short of Todd, they were just not making money.
>>
>>93461722
The direct market has to die.

But beyond that, the only other big problem the industry has is that it's incredibly oversaturated and anything that isn't established doesn't sell a dime. Unfortunately there's no way to "fix" this save for a comics crash or unfairly benefitting one group in terms of marketing.

Any other change would be just bringing new things. I'd like to see the US industry branch out. Comic anthology magazines should be viable and not just Heavy Metal, the BD format should be much more popular, even Japanese magazine formats could be given a try - releasing shorter chapters on a weekly basis. Foreign comics could be paid more attention to. The industry could integrate webcomics as a format. Lot's of things can be attempted.

>>93462253
Honestly I'm starting to get tired of digital art. Not because of the art itself but because how fucking cheap some artists can be with it. How lots of great pencilling forms were abandoned in favour of shitty brushes and photoshop effects. When was the last time you say an aura have a proper linework and not be just a shader?

I've been thinking about bringing back old print form. While digital is very more cost effcient, I think it would be interesting to let artists play with previous techniques. A traditionally pencilled and inked comic would be quite popular under the right hands, though i'm not sure if older printing tecniques would be well received and may be even costlier than current printing methods.

>>93462211
They stopped innovating in my opinion. They should have invested in their signed artists and helped push projects like Graham's Island even if it was at a loss. Gotten into deals with other companies, branched into other formats, etc. They seem to be comfortable with the "sign with us, we get a cut, you are on your own" model.

There's a lot you can do in the industry, but it seems most publishing companies are comfortable with basic MOs
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.