[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are they killing the industry? If so, how?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (13KB, 419x120px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 419x120px
Are they killing the industry? If so, how?
>>
They're an innocent scapegoat for people who don't understand the differences between the direct market and the newsstand market.

They want comics to be sold in supermarkets, but they don't realize how devastating it will be when publishers have to refund the supermarkets for all the unsold copies.
>>
>>93456602
remember /ptg/
>>
>>93456602
Never really read that much into the Comic Book industry, explain to me why they're the "Big Bad" pls.
>>
>>93456753
They're not innocent, but you're right about the people who think all problems would be solved by focusing only on the newsstand market.
>>
>>93456602
All I know is that for the past few weeks they've just not delivered an issue of batman, Superman and Aquaman. They also ship late on Bank holidays. I don't know about ruining the Industry, but they certainly are not helping it
>>
>>93457099
Marvel and DC monthly floppies (or however you call them) are exclusively available only through Diamond by contract. This act, compounded by the big 2 being 80% of all comic sales last I checked, makes Diamond seen as a Monopoly and controlling supply. Hence, Diamond gets a lot more heat when concerning any business decisions about distribution and the blame from folks cause comics do not sell "in the millions" like in decades past.
>>
>>93456602

If Diamond is such a terrible option, why do publishers use them? Unless of course they're the best option available to them.
>>
File: 1496073103030.jpg (80KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1496073103030.jpg
80KB, 600x398px
>>93456602
>>
>>93459510

As far as I understand, they're the only game in town when it comes to comic book shops.
>>
>>93460519
You could coordinate with any other shipping service. Use Fedex or UPS, or something.

The real question is why haven't these comic book publishers been bought up by regular book publishers who arent always on the brink of market failure?
>>
>>93460555
>You could coordinate with any other shipping service. Use Fedex or UPS, or something.
That's not how it works. You listed two shipping companies as if they perform the same duties as a distributor. Do you understand how retail markets work?
>>
File: fullsizerender-2.jpg (59KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
fullsizerender-2.jpg
59KB, 240x320px
>>93456753
DC is taking another stab at it. I saw this the other day at Wal-Mart, a new magazine called Showcase. $9.98, has five stories in it. Not sure if it'll be a running anthology or new books every month. Or if it'll even have a second issue. The comics inside are

Batman: Rebirth #1
Batman #13
Batman & Robin #30
Justice League #1
Wonder Woman #1
>>
you can't kill what's already dead

>>93460555
>The real question is why haven't these comic book publishers been bought up by regular book publishers who arent always on the brink of market failure?

This is the actual suggestion considering WB already owns Time and those affiliate products so they could just get those people to print DC too if they wanted, theoretically. But Diamond and Comixology serve their distribution needs just fine, so there's no real reason to change. And bookstore sales growth is outpacing floppies so maybe in a few decades it will be lucrative enough to change the model somewhat.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.