[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any comics that have actual decent world building?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: 1498430048563.jpg (151KB, 858x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1498430048563.jpg
151KB, 858x1088px
Are there any comics that have actual decent world building?

Manga has PLENTY of these (think Berserk), but western comics don't ever seem to have quality world building unless it's an adaptation that uses world building from somewhere else (think Conan).
>>
>>93455876
>Manga has PLENTY of these
go back there weeaboo >>>/a/
>>
>>93455876
>Hellboy and extended universe
>Bone
>Cerebus
>Transmetropolitan
>Saga
>Y: The Last Man
>Sandman
>Preacher
To name a few.

If you think there isn't any good world building in western comics, it's because you think almost all western comics are cape shit and adaptations.

And even then, cape shit does have world building, it's just much less straightforward than in other types of comics, since it's told in chunks by multiple writers, and since the original super hero stories weren't supposed to be connected in the way they are now.
Whether that's good or bad is up to opinion.
>>
>>93456138
>>Preacher

There literally ISN'T any "world building" in it.

>>Saga
>>Y: The Last Man

These are complete and total garbage.
>>
>>93455876
Swamp Thing has great world building and cosmic stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy generally have to give a decent amount of development to the settings for the stories to even work.
>>
>>93456176
>These are complete and total garbage.
Even if you weren't a contrarian idiot, good or bad wasn't the question.
>>
Read Euro comics or indie comics. You need comics that are mainly written by a single guy, and a fuckload of Euro comics are written and drawn by the same guy.
>>
Strangers in Paradise is pretty good at building up the world from an ordinary life to an underground world of modern sex slavery, prostitutes trained to be killers in mafia wars expanding across the world with their dummy companies
>>
>>93456176
>There literally ISN'T any "world building" in it.
Why, because it takes place on Earth? Even if it does, introducing fantasy elements that significantly change the way the world works necessitates world building.

>These are complete and total garbage

Maybe, but you can't accuse them of not world building.
>>
>>93456138
>>Y: The Last Man
Is it world building if there isn't a world left?
>>
'World building' is such a vague term, what exactly do you think makes for great world building?
The setting's history?
A diverse range of species/cultures/peoples each with their own unique style/theme/development?
Massive sprawling detailed maps of locations and layouts?
Consistent laws/science/consequences?
Huge world designed for all kinds of adventures?
Small precise world designed for single constrained story?
Slow reveal of world rules?
Early exposition explaining world rules?
>>
>>93456360
This. When you say "world building" do you mean lore in general? Or just the world looking unique in some way?
>>
>>93456302
If there's a significant change in the world, you've gotta explain what it is and how it affects people and the story. That's world building.
>>
File: Tiger Force Spider.jpg (2MB, 1440x2534px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger Force Spider.jpg
2MB, 1440x2534px
>>93455876
Hypercrisis
>>
TMNT
>>
...I mean honestly it'd probably be easier to name ones that don't. Even the big two are based around their own worlds with their own concepts.

What comic made you think this? Who hurt you?
>>
Hellboy, I swear to Christ it has more lore than the actual world.
>>
>Dark Horse Star Wars Comics.

Gave us stuff on previously unknown time periods of the universe, even.
>>
File: Prints.jpg (560KB, 2096x1266px) Image search: [Google]
Prints.jpg
560KB, 2096x1266px
>>93455876
MOST UNIQUE VISION IN COMICS HISTORY
>>
UNSOUNDED
>>
>>93456360
>>93456406
Bingo, please clarify OP, because to claim that major shared universes that go into great detail about their creation and machination like DC and Marvel do are shitty at worldbuilding it a bald faced lie.
>>
>>93455876
Even if we were to ignore all not-fantastic setting, even though there are many historical comics with great world building, there are still many comics with great world-building like:

Valerian & Laureline
Jodoverse
East of West
Lupus
Aama
Worlds of Aldebaran
Wake
The Obscure Cities

And bunch more i'm probably forgetting.
>>
>>93455876
Is good to see a casual being BTFO.
>>
>>93455876
Fucking shit you weebs have made some terrible threads in the past but this takes the cake.
>>
>>93456919
Are you fucking insane? No, your stupid fucking hodgepodge bullshit cape trash multiverses are not good world-building. Individual runs might have good world-building, point at those if you want to talk about cape shit.
>>
>>93456210

>have actual decent world building?

>decent

Good or bad wasn't the question?

Imagine a /co/ where all the hyper-defensive aspies were put to death. What a wonderful board that would be.
>>
>>93455876
read some pat mills, alan grant and john wagner comics.

slaine, judge dredd, strontium dog, nemesis the warlcok, marshal law etc.
>>
File: unsounded.jpg (242KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
unsounded.jpg
242KB, 600x900px
>>93455876
If webcomics count, there are a few quality ones out there with good worldbuilding. Unsounded, Kill Six Billion Demons, and Digger are probably the best of the bunch.

For example, you'll notice in pic related that Duane Adelier uses a sign with two languages on it, because there are a few different ones floating around in this setting. Duane is from Alderode, which is a stratified society with six different classes (and a disgraced classless strata). The different classes are named after hair color, being Copper, Jet, Bronze, Gold, Silver, and Platinum.

The main way magic gets done in this setting is through manipulation of the Khert, and using it to move aspects of different substances around. Alderode has a fucked-up Khert called the Dhamakhert, which affects the different classes in Alderode differently. Basically, it tends to trade lifespan for magic ability. So Jets live 200 years but have barely any range to cast with, while Plats make powerful mages that only live to age 30 or so.

The exception are Golds, which aren't particularly affected by the Dhamakhert. This is because Golds were the originally the Tanish race of people, and the original inhabitants of the land that makes up Alderode.. They are part of Alderode because they were conquered by a bunch of Western Tribesman a long fucking time ago. Because the Tanish originally invented the magic system everyone uses (Pymary), the language is still used to cast spells.

All of this doesn't even cover the two clashing religions on the continent, or Alderode's main rival (the Communistic country of Cresce). The worldbuilding is really quite expansive.
>>
>>93457258

I don't think you should be on 4chan in your current state. People her often say things to upset people on purpose. I don't think you can handle that right now. I suggest a good half hour to hour long walk. Perhaps listening to some of your favorite music. Leave the smartphone at home. Leave the internet.
>>
Judge Dredd
>>
File: riceboy.jpg (31KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
riceboy.jpg
31KB, 220x340px
>>93457301
The entire Overside is very good as well.
>>
>>93456688
Tigers? WTF?
>>
>>93457276
A story can have decent world building and still be a bad story. The topic was world building not whether or not you thought the stories are "garbage".
So what was that about being hyper-defensive, you aspie?
>>
>>93456789
I'd say the big two's main universes have fuck all for world building. To me world building means the rules of the setting are put in place and the stories being told in that setting work because they adhere to those rules and background lore.
The big two are all over the place and the rules change according to writer and character.

Spider-Man's origin has pathos because it was an accident and he makes a choice to be a hero, then you read in Dr. Strange that there is no such thing as an accident and everything is preordained. In terms of world building, that kind of flip-flop sucks.
>>
>>93456302
Post-apocalyptic settings can't be world building?
>>
>>93456886
been curious about this for awhile. What's the best way to collect this?
>>
>>93455876
Astro City is a very good example
>>
>>93457307
Fuck you, dipshit kid. Stop saying dumb shit and you won't get called out on it. Little fucking baby. I hate cape kids.
>>
>>93456886
>>93457800
I to would like to know how to do this. Is there a trades collection or anything like that? Collecting individually is such a pain
>>
File: HOW IS BABBY FORMED.png (3MB, 1623x1031px) Image search: [Google]
HOW IS BABBY FORMED.png
3MB, 1623x1031px
IDW Transformers
>>
>>93457800
Just download it. Whole thing is here: >>93434040

If you MUST buy it, look for TPBs. I'm not sure how many exist, but I'd guess there MIGHT be a few.
>>
>>93457874
There MIGHT be. I really don't know. Look it up and see if any of the volumes/minis have been collected.
>>
>>93455876
>manga
>world building

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's literally fanfiction tier writing where they do exposition dump early in the manga and spending the rest of the time either fellating the mc or pulling asspulls to keep the plot moving because the writer gets themselves stuck in a corner. And then there's the ending. Either you get nothing resolved or it's a sloppy half assed epilogue.
>>
>>93457276
Let's take a look at something outside the /co/ spectrum. China Mieville's Perdido Street Station has good world building and a decent plot, but is filled with annoying and redundant writing. A comic with good world building might have a crap plot, crap art, crap whatever. All these pieces come together to make a work that's good or bad, but you can discuss each part in isolation.
>>
File: watchmen.jpg (334KB, 900x1384px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
334KB, 900x1384px
>>93455876
Not even memeing
>>
>>93457897
>I only read shitty shounens
You are as much as a faggot as OP.
>>
>>93457934
This. Not only is the world built brilliantly, the way in which the information is slowly doled out and layered is great. You spend a few issues thinking that's a fire hydrant the guy is leaning on, then you learn it's actually a charging station for the electric cars that have replaced fossil fueled cars. It's a great alternate version of Earth and the setting is one of the reasons the story has the reputation it has.
>>
File: 1333426901424.png (211KB, 496x369px) Image search: [Google]
1333426901424.png
211KB, 496x369px
>>93457307
This is a good, wholesome post.
>>
>>93457017
Op probably doesn't know BD exist.
>>
>>93457276
You can't differentiate between decent world building and a decent overall story.

You are the hyper-defensive aspie.
>>
>>93455876
>western comics
I take you mean American comics, because there's plenty of European comics with great world building.
Without going too esoteric, Dredd and a bunch of other 2000 AD stories that share the same universe.
>>
Pretty much any Sci fi or fantasy comic.
Prophet had some great world building.
>>
File: Judge-Dredd-Mega-City-One.jpg (80KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Judge-Dredd-Mega-City-One.jpg
80KB, 720x405px
>>93459571
Dredd is a great example. Wish I'd thought to mention it.
Not just Mega City-One either but the entire world has been fleshed out perfectly.
>>
File: TheAutumnlands_Vol1-1.png (161KB, 477x734px) Image search: [Google]
TheAutumnlands_Vol1-1.png
161KB, 477x734px
I recommend autumlands if you're looking for a consistent world with rules. Yes it has furries but the main character isn't one if that bothers you.
>>
>>93459783
Does he get with a furry girl?
>>
File: tumblr_n055zqM2jL1qc74hno1_1280.jpg (895KB, 1280x1520px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n055zqM2jL1qc74hno1_1280.jpg
895KB, 1280x1520px
>>93457876
>>
Hellboy, BPRD, and all the other Mignolaverse titles that go along with it
>>
>>93457295
Opened the thread to say 2000 AD. Well done.
>>
>>93459822
Not sure. The story has no romance yet
>>
>>93457968

Jokes on you I read romance manga as well!
>>
File: lanfeust.jpg (139KB, 738x915px) Image search: [Google]
lanfeust.jpg
139KB, 738x915px
>>93457017
The various Troy books have good world-building. The world of Troy is fleshed out to the point that there is no earth-like fauna save for humans, who each have a unique magical power.
Anything by Arleston is worth a read.

Also, Requiem the Vampire Knight comes to mind.

And there's this great AD2000 series called Brass Sun. Still waiting on new issues, but the stories that are out are worth the read for the setting alone. It's set in a clockwork galaxy.
>>
>>93456176
But Anon, Saga is just the hipster west coast with rubber-forehead aliens thrown in for spice.
>>
The early decades of Marvel had EXCELLENT world building. It wasn't really until Jim Shooter was fired (and then especially after Tom DeFalco stepped down as Editor in Chief) that "the Marvel Universe" began to fall apart into an incoherent mess with no real continuity and just in general made no sense whatsoever.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.