[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Miles the original sin of current Marvel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14

File: Spider-Man_(Miles_Morales).jpg (55KB, 250x379px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man_(Miles_Morales).jpg
55KB, 250x379px
I feel like you can almost directly trace back to Miles everything wrong with Marvel these days.

Miles himself isnt even terrible, he's just a boring non-entity, but the circumstances of his existence, the response to it, and storylines done with him immediately after he was made, they've echoed throughout the company and gotten worse and worse with every new attempt at a new Miles Morals.
>>
>>93429258
Marvel's original sin was Avengers Disassembled. Everything after has been a shitshow, with the occasional bright spot.
>>
>>93429258
You mean Bendis
>>93429278
You mean Bendis

Wow, we found the problem.
>>
>>93429278
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKp-JsXLqmM
>>
File: spidermantheblackening.jpg (369KB, 1248x1659px) Image search: [Google]
spidermantheblackening.jpg
369KB, 1248x1659px
Marvel won't rest until every story takes place in the heart of Harlem or Detroit...
>>
>>93429315
That chick in the top right is cute

And we'd all be better off with no more Spider-Man movies.
>>
>>93429291
It's almost like giving power to a writer that loves trashing continuity (yes even his own) turns your continuity into a fucking mess!
>>
>>93429315
>We need miles morales

Why? I'm dead serious with this question and if it's "Because we need a Black Spider-man because representation" then I'll offer the rebuttal: Why not a different black Spider-man? Spider-punk had what, 5 lines? 6 lines? He was already more interesting than Miles.
>>
File: boo.jpg (63KB, 575x575px) Image search: [Google]
boo.jpg
63KB, 575x575px
>>93429258
No.
>>
>>93429258

He's confusing in a similar way that the other spider family members are. I mean Spider Woman or She-Hulk can be just viewed as female counterparts of the better known, more 'beloved' original characters (coincidentally male). DC didn't find it necessary to create a male version of Wonder Woman and someone like Robin or Nightwing and Tim Drake make sense, contextually and to casuals. It's only when you start dropping in a gazillion Robins that it becomes confusing to casuals (and in particular, I mean the larger audience Marvel/Disney, DC/Warner Brothers are now after).

Miles is comparable to Silk. Or to Spider-Gwen. They are all essentially novelties. The main issue with Miles is bringing him into the main universe. Most causals and normies would look at him fitting in the same way the Legion fits into DC. Having them visit ONCE in a great while can be done and make sense, and the Legion can have their own ongoing, set in their own universe, separate from the main canon, like the multiple volumes of Spider-Man 2099, but having an ongoing set in the same universe, long-term, doesn't make practical sense.
>>
>>93429401
I hate that piece of shit so much.
>>
Nope, you're just racist
>>
>>93429401
What's his deal?
>>93429418
No he's just a shitty character
>>
File: 1498193778342.gif (93KB, 2000x2059px) Image search: [Google]
1498193778342.gif
93KB, 2000x2059px
Miles is great. In the Ultimate universe anyway. Now that he's in the main universe he needs a new Super Hero persona. It really is confusing. I remember wanting to check out how he was doing in the main Marvel universe, but they didn't even keep the "Ultimate" in his name so asking and looking for the books was annoying and didn't bother. Miles needs to move to another state adopt a new name. He could be great, but keeping him in the Main Marvel universe with the Real Spiderman, yes we all know Peter as the "Real Spiderman", will make it hard for folks to not compare the two constantly.
>>
>>93429622
>Move him to California
>West Coast Spiderman
>He starts the New West Coast Avengers
>>
>>93429363
I'm starting to think that Bendis is actually against continuity because it limits his "artistic freedom" to do bullshit so he's trying to destroy it.
>>
>>93429648
Yeah, sounds good. All the writer has to do afterwards is look up spiders native to the state for name inspirations and you got yourself a hero that's easier to market.
>>
>>93429692
Probably. I sometimes feel Ike Perlmutter purposefully makes Marvel put Bendis on as many books as possible, because he knows Bendis makes people hate liberals. I think a lot of decisions at Marvel fit this theory.
>>
>>93429622
>Miles was great in Ultimates
Oh shut up with that horseshit. Its the go to excuse people repeat whenever they have to say good things about Miles. Also I'd hardly call it a good example of his character being good when it hinges on Peter Parker being dead. Hes not a good character, no matter how you spin it.
>>
>>93429692
He literally said he thinks continuity isn't important because it constricts writers
>>
>>93429534
He's a cheap fucking Jew, even by cheap fucking Jew standards.
>>
>>93429258
Hating the black kid is too easy and too shortsighted. Get rid of him? Oh well, the writer responsible for bringing down large portions of the Marvel line will create another bad OC to get pushed to the forefront, will write another shit event, will continue to erase established characters personalities, etc. At the most, Miles can get redeemed with another writer, but that wont happen until Bendis us shown the door.
>>
>>93429258
>Americans sucking up to black people even when they're nothing special

Wow what a surprise
>>
>>93429534
>What's his deal?
If you looked up the word Jew in /pol/'s wikipedia site you will find his picture.
>>
>>93429622
I really wish they'd move the characters around in general. Throw some characters into the fly over states and see what happens.
>>
>>93429775
See, this fits into my Ike Perlmutter theory here: >>93429731
Anon sees a thread on /co/ and goes into some retarded ass /pol/ rant. That's because Ike brainwashed him. Don't let Ike win.
>>
>>93429843
I thought the only point of Civil War was to get heroes in other places, but Civil War itself was shit so I stopped reading Marvel. When I checked on things again when CW2 was starting up, I found out they just dropped that idea so nothing from Civil War was every important at all.
>>
>>93429393
Ignoring whatever clickbait reasons they gave, having a child Spider Man so Peter can be an adult makes sense and having one look very visually different means people won't just assume it's a clone or time displaced or what have you.
>>
>>93429865
you sound triggered?
need safes space?
>>
>>93429865
>muh /pol/
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
>>
>>93429775
kinda, at this only the most hard core of liberal donĀ“t even see it or they just secretly share their racist and sexist views and just pretend to not see it to shut down opposition
>>
>>93429905
Honestly, if they built up to Miles after 3-6 movies, that's fine. But you have to have Peter grow up on screen, and the closest we ever got was the Raimi movies, and those glossed over highschool pretty fast. If we actually got this Spiderman to go from boy to man, from fresh hero to a mentor, that would be fucking awesome. I think retiring Peter is a better call than killing him off, but they need to make sure he's been on screen long enough for it to matter.
>>
>>93429926
>>93429943
That lovely one minute posting spread. Not suspicious at all.

I'm curious, does anyone besides Bendis really write Miles, or only in guest roles/team books?
>>
>>93429981
Ah yes, because Tumblrinas represent the entire Liberal population.
>>
>>93430027
>or only in guest roles/team books?
Only that. Bendis actually almost left the book after Secret Wars but he decided to stay on.
>>
>>93430034
they once in power as in the once that actually matter definitely do. I have never seen a liberal member of the news or a liberal democrat voice anything but other disgust and hatred for white men and push for laws that discriminate directly against them. ever heard about "yes means yes" or "diversity quotas"
funny that "diversity" is always only a problem when white men are the majority but never when women dominate a filed like basically every single collage degree except stem
>>
>>93429393

god I wish we could get a Spider-Punk book
>>
>>93430034
when you have a president that literally quotes tumblr propaganda as how "1 in 5" women gets raped everyday on collage itĀ“s kinda hard to deny it
>>
>>93430094

people getting rights they have been denied isn't taking them away from you
>>
>>93430079
They should honestly just give Bendis one book, Ultimate Spiderman. It was the only thing he ever did that was mostly good. Hell, he could have a new Ultimate Universe to do with as he pleases, just only in ONE BOOK. Because he's awful with 616 stuff, for too many reasons to count.
>>
Can we just make him a villain already?
>>
>>93430164
Ignore him, he's trying to derail the thread. Which means he's either a fan of Bendis, or Ike Perlmutter. I don't know which one for sure, but he's shown zero knowledge of comics, so he might just be trying to be a bother because he got banned from somewhere else.

Also, it's fucking summer. That anon is 12 years old.
>>
>>93429984
>Being this /tv/
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-03-16-38-04.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-03-16-38-04.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>93430027
We know that he refuses to allow Miles to appear in Amazing Spider-Man because Slott shot down his idea of having Peter killed off in CW2. And everything else Miles has been in he's only been a side character, or only appeared for a single issue, he was pretty enjoyable in Ms Marvel, and seeing him and Peter in SM/DP made me want to see more of a Mentor / Student relationship between the two.
>>
>>93429731
The current left that likes to still call themselves liberals do enough on their own to be hated without any help from Bendis.
>>
>>93430257

>Slott shot down his idea of having Peter killed off in CW2

god lord it's amazing how many people believe a joke was serious to justify their hate. just use anti-life instead
>>
File: cpt1.jpg (98KB, 643x426px) Image search: [Google]
cpt1.jpg
98KB, 643x426px
>>93430257
>We know that he refuses to allow Miles to appear in Amazing Spider-Man because Slott shot down his idea of having Peter killed off in CW2
Fucking seriously? Bendis is insane. I guess the best thing I can say about Miles, for sure, is that he's not the worst pet character Bendis has come up with.

Someone once said this character was a jab at Bendis, does anyone know if that is true and have a source?
>>
File: cpt2.jpg (106KB, 465x436px) Image search: [Google]
cpt2.jpg
106KB, 465x436px
>>93430319
The rest of the scene, for those unfamiliar with it.
>>
>>93429315
Reminder that Homecoming is a Miles movie starring Peter because of some combination of "movie execs are racist" and "the existing contracts require every Spider-Man movie to star Peter no matter who transparently not-Peter the character is."
>>
>>93429984
No its not fine, if we're gonna get an adult Peter and then a new spider, give us Spider-Girl, fuck Miles
>>
>>93430406
Naw, dawg, do BOTH! Peter grows up into a dad, mentors Miles, and then Spider-Girl takes over down the line. Make it a full generational story in real time.
>>
>>93429984
They could have just as easily said that the Sony movies were quasi-canon in that SM has been around but interdimensional fun times yadda yadda here we are with an adult Peter and look Miles just showed up.

OR

An idea I posted on here a while ago that got thrashed, which was switch the two and have Miles (played by Donald Glover since he's in the film anyway) be an adult Spider-Man who's been working in the background and gets killed protecting Peter.

But either of these would be too much for either normies or turbonerds to accept I guess.
>>
>>93429943
It's the logical conclusion when someone shows up to say something as asinine as, "White people can't be heroes in movies anymore," in a thread about a movie where basically the only white guys on screen ARE the heroes.
>>
>>93430446
Or maybe, skip the spider that has nothing going for him and delve into the life of the spider that brings more to the table?
>>
>>93430378
>white men never got the right of gender and race based scholarships unlike women and black people
You didn't need them, you had the actual higher education establishment working for you.
>white men have been the minority on collage campus for decades now
>collage
White men are a minority in America. 35% at best count. They're also overepresented at top schools compared to Asians.
>>
>>93430196
I think Miles can be kept as a hero still, but he needs to be re-worked. As it stands, he's bland as fuck and overpowered at the same time, and his only selling point is that he's the "black Spider-Man".

Now Moon Girl, that's a character that should go full villain. She's already being written like a villain anyway, so it's a logical next step. A nine year old super-genius megalomaniac with a T-rex buddy trying to remake the world in her own image would be way better than the shit we're getting from her now.
>>
>>93430531

aww you didn't go for the easy hit about him not understanding what due process is?
>>
>>93430319
>>93430338
I don't think McDuffie ever outright said it was Bendis. And the Brown Bomber is somewhat based on an unused DC concept (The Black Bomber, where a white racist unknowingly turns into a black superhero) that was shelved because it seemed like a bad idea at the time.

I guess it could be a jab at Bendis and Luke Cage considering McDuffie was never really fond of Cage as a character (he even did an issue of Icon making fun of him, IIRC)
>>
>>93430599
>(The Black Bomber, where a white racist unknowingly turns into a black superhero) that was shelved because it seemed like a bad idea at the time.
>at the time.
Well... it is a different time now, right, anon?
>>
>>93430549
What can I say, I'm self-interested.
>>
>>93430628
It's worse
>>
>>93430338
If I remember right, in the second panel he's suppose to be saying "So I can come on patrol with you sometime?"

But editorial was notorious for not giving a fuck about McDuffie's JLA.
>>
>>93429258
I love Miles simply because he triggers racist
>>
>>93429740
He was a great character anon, but giving him the Spiderman persona only works in the ultimate universe because Peter is dead. Context matters, and in the context of "Ultimate Spiderman" existing with a Peter who's still living and still is Spiderman it doesn't work. He had inherited a legacy, now in the main Marvel Universe well it really doesn't matter. It's one reason to writers should move him somewhere else and give him a new name for his hero persona.
>>
File: 1434195615431.jpg (115KB, 1012x675px) Image search: [Google]
1434195615431.jpg
115KB, 1012x675px
Why don't you just go back to DC
>>
>>93429401
Which Inhuman is Ike's waifu?
>>
>>93431357
because Jessica/Simon are shitty and still on the Justice League
>>
>>93429731
More like he pitches and writes multiple books to pay for his house and all his kids.
>>
>>93429622
I know some toys had him labeled as "Kid Arachnid" to differentiate him from the Peter Parker Spider-Man toys.
>>
>>93433283
Call him Black Arachnid and ship him to West Coast Avengers
>>
File: Tire fire.jpg (65KB, 300x456px) Image search: [Google]
Tire fire.jpg
65KB, 300x456px
>>93429258
>>
>>93429622
It is really funny how he doesn't want to be known as "the black Spider-Man". Dude, your costume is black, you're black, and more importantly the original is still around so they need to call you something else. You don't want to be the black Spidey, then get a new name.
>>
File: bane.jpg (873KB, 1543x735px) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
873KB, 1543x735px
>>93433437

I was going to say it was Ultimatum but yep, this.
>>
File: miles morales.png (30KB, 690x758px) Image search: [Google]
miles morales.png
30KB, 690x758px
Miles is lazy. His race literally doesn't affect the story in any way, meaning he might as well just be white. This wouldn't be a big deal if he was a good character regardless, but Benis is a hack
>>
>>93433585
> every Miles story should be black antics
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>93429315
So is Flash a cyber-bully now?
What's the deal?
>>
File: 1473968235564.gif (2MB, 356x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473968235564.gif
2MB, 356x400px
>>93433437
Will it ever get better?
>>
>>93433925
Miles dealing with being a good student in a poor black school would have been more interesting that Miles winning the rich-kid school lottery
>>
>>93431291
>Hes a great character
I want you to defend that statement and list what makes Miles interesting and not a carbon copy of Peter
>>
>>93433925
If Miles was an interesting character, then it wouldn't matter if he was black since he'd be a good character regardless. But he isn't. His defining characteristic thus is being black, yet that has no bearing or effect on the story, leaving you with ultimately nothing for a character.
And I don't mean his personality has to be some ghetto black stereotype. Being black is different from being white, or being yellow, or being brown. If nothing deals with the character being whatever race they are then what's the point of making them that race? White characters in comics are treated like white people. Black characters in comics should be treated like black people, Asian characters should be treated like Asian people.
>>
>>93431444
All of them.
>>
>>93434206
He had parents.
>>
Threads like these make wish they'd reboot the ultimate universe and give it a fresh start, I don't know if it'd do anything for miles but at least they'd be a chance for him.

Seriously how has miles been around for what 5 years now? and still not have an established personality beyond "I want to be Spider-Man" and "I don't want to be BLACK Spider-Man, I want to be Spider-Man"?
>>
>>93433532
Yup. I consider the damage Ultimatum did to be limited since it only ruined 1610. OMD was earlier and has been left to fester for so long that it is terminal cancer for Marvel at this point.

>>93434145
Frankly. No. The only sign of hope is Renew Your Vows but it looks like Marvel is giving it the Spider Girl treatment. String the title along, giving hints they will return and fix the main continuity until they can justify cancelling it, claiming they were right all along that no one wants an older more mature Peter Parker with a family.
>>
>>93434864
>Renew Your Vows
I just refuse to support anime in Spider-man comics
Fuck Slott's shitty OC
>>
>>93435257
>I just refuse to support anime in Spider-man comics
The fuck does this mean? I'm sure I've seen you say this before. There's nothing anime-esque about Renew Your Vows in the least
>>
>>93435327
Did they change her name from Annie May?
>>
File: bendis.jpg (190KB, 767x353px) Image search: [Google]
bendis.jpg
190KB, 767x353px
can someone explain bendis obsession with black people
>>
>>93429315
God the homecoming suit is fugly
>>
>>93435730
he is afraid of black people. thats why he makes as many inoffensive WOKE black characters who are kind geniuses as possible.
>>
>>93435730
He adopted black kids and wants to make them feel special by making black characters
>>
>>93430599
>And the Brown Bomber is somewhat based on an unused DC concept
IIRC Black Lightning 's original concept was that he was a white supremacist who turns into a black guy with lightning powers.
>>
>>93436222
This could actually be interesting, if you think about it, but definitely something that could easily be awful
>>
>>93429401
whats wrong with him
>>
>>93434490
So did Peter. They were both generic spys like Mile's Dad who was his angry black male aunt May. His mother was simply motivation.
>>
>>93435730

Honestly, it is YOU guys who are obsessed with black people

Every time a black character appears, you have to have a discussion about race and spam WE WUZ KANGZ AND SHIT

I bet I can find a folder of BBC videos on your computer
>>
>>93437359
Bendis's love of Luke Cage and black people is well documented, Reddit
>>
>>93429829
Actually yeah. Dude meets all the criteria to a t. All he needs is "secretly molests children on the Lolita Express" and he will have hit every space on Nose Bingo.
>>
>>93429315
I take comfort in the fact most, if not all, of the comments in that article were people calling out the writer and other CBR writers for their stupid obsession with killing off Peter and shoving Miles into the MCU.
>>
>>93436222
You remembered completely wrong, Black Bomber came first as an idea with two scripts made by DC editors. They then tried to ask Tony Isabella to script it for them, then Tony pointed out how fucked up those scripts were and suggested they discard them and he'd come up with a black superhero for them. That was when Black Lightning was created.
>>
>>93429258
I'd say it was Civil war
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.