[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CBR Metldown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 20

File: TiamattyNUTS.jpg (359KB, 1858x758px) Image search: [Google]
TiamattyNUTS.jpg
359KB, 1858x758px
JUST
>>
File: emmerdale life.png (523KB, 676x450px) Image search: [Google]
emmerdale life.png
523KB, 676x450px
>>93419677
So are the CBR forums the NeoGaf of /co/? Just and endless stream of laffs?
>>
>>93419677
>mfw obese neckbeards think there's anyone with talent working on this dead industry
>>
>>93419677
He ain't wrong, the direct market sucks
>>
File: RayeLegacy.jpg (111KB, 1850x313px) Image search: [Google]
RayeLegacy.jpg
111KB, 1850x313px
>LEGACY DID NUFFIN WRONG
>>
>>93419777
>He ain't wrong
He IS wrong about Marvel's pool of talent. They have none.
>>
>>93419810
What's worse is the talent they do have(for however briefly they keep them) tend to write in "that" style.
I don't know how you'd define it exactly but I'm sure if we tried the words numale, cuck and portland would be flying everywhichwaybutloose.
>>
File: 1491926922387.jpg (36KB, 579x577px) Image search: [Google]
1491926922387.jpg
36KB, 579x577px
>>93419677
>marketing to the consumers with an ever increasing amount of disposable income and free time who have stood by and continued to purchase the porrduct is disastrous
>>
>>93419777
Clearly the answer if you read his posts is that Marvel isn't catering enough to black, women and LBGT readers.
>>
>>93419781
>just a bunch of fans whining
Remember anons, keeping your consumer base unhappy is a good business tactic.
>>
File: h.png (110KB, 1825x1070px) Image search: [Google]
h.png
110KB, 1825x1070px
>>93419743
>>
>>93419882
oh its a brony
Whitley is the worst writer Marvel employs
Wasp was fucking terrible
>>
File: 1497740930869.gif (2MB, 245x207px) Image search: [Google]
1497740930869.gif
2MB, 245x207px
>>93419743
Very good observation, fellow /v/shitposter
>>
>>93419781
He's right, though. This is dumb as fuck, but it's nowhere near the disaster that Captain Nazi was, and that's just in the last year.
>>
>>93419810
Ewing says hi, or he would if he wasn't busy filling in another writer's plot hole.
>>
>>93420143
The same racist writer that ruinned white Tiger and monica.
>>
>>93419677
I was with her until
>middle aged white guys
Fuck that.
>>
>>93420183
It's a white guy...
>>
>catering to middle aged white guys
>disastrous business model

yes catering to people who actually buy comics is a terrible idea. how can we kill the industry if people actually want to buy comics
>>
>Not catering to the demographic that actually wants your product is a good business model
And I'm sure John Deere should try tapping into that urban market.
>>
>>93420116
Captain Nazi was so transparent I'm actually upset that they made it a scandal
>>
>>93420246
The real mistake was trying really hard to sell that THIS IS REAL AND PERMANENT, SWEAR TO GOD, GUYS thing they always do. Long time comic readers know it's a bunch of bullshit, but the whole thing eventually bubbled up to casuals and non-readers.
>>
>>93419677
The first part seems on point but the second part is just balls.
>>
>>93419865
This. When you charge $5-$6 for issues middle aged men are the only ones with enough disposable income to buy a ton of books. College students and teenagers can't afford $50 a month for comics.
>>
>>93419677

>people disagreed on an internet forum

jesus..... are we gonna be ok? has the president been notified? should I go to work today?
>>
>>93419677
>middle aged white guys
yeah, im not white or 40 so maybe its not about catering but about actual compelling stories, i dont want a shit comic that grabs a woman and play a safe empowering scenario. stop with the diverse power-jerking and hire better writers
>>
>>93420407
t. Tiamatty
>>
>>93419677
To be fair you can make comics to appeal to new audiences without pandering. Its not fucking hard.

Too bad marvel would rather just just virtue signal their way to "sales".
>>
>>93419882
But they're right for the most part, though. I read fucking Civil War 2 and I see no point in reading Secret Empire right now.
>>
>>93419810
Same can be said about DC tho. It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>93420143
And it's gotten him nowhere. Marvel consistently shits on their talent in favour of the mediocre-at-best old guard.
>>
>>93419743
>NeoGaf

stop trying to make /co/ into /v/, faggot
>>
File: 1.jpg (383KB, 1143x887px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
383KB, 1143x887px
>>93419882
Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the today's announcements. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the fucking fuck are they doing this? This can’t be happening. I’m having a fucking breakdown. I don’t want to believe that Marvel is so disinterested with their comicbook line. I want a future to believe in. I want Didio to be president and fix this broken company. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought they were doing something new???? This is so fucked.
>>
ha.
nerrrrrds whining about nerd shit, amirite?
what a bunch of losers. eheh eheh.

>stop trying to make /co/ into /v/, faggot
buddy, you're like, 7 years late on that shit.
>>
File: may2017.png (85KB, 800x463px) Image search: [Google]
may2017.png
85KB, 800x463px
>>93419882
>DC is kicking your ass
Nope
>>
>>93421715
>winning the month only because they shipped Secret Empire three times and a special anniversary issue of Venom
Marvel's month-to-month strategy is damaging the rest of their line, this is indisputable.
>>
>>93420212
Sounds like how anime works. Which has been decreasing in revenue year over year in japan
>>
So where's the meltdown?
>>
>>93421740
They've been winning for about 3 months now. In May they just dominated.
>>
>>93421099
Nah. DC is actually fun.
>>
>>93422002
No they haven't, they overshipped the hell out of there line to make it seem that way. May had X men relaunch #1 and 3 SE books as well as the hyped return of Eddie Brock. And most of the X men books are now abysmal. Not to mention SE is worst selling event.
>>
>>93419743
Kill yourself crossboarding scum.
>>93420086
Kill yourself tripfaggot.
>>
>>93421715
Lol. Overshipping is such a shitty tactic. I remember lcs owners pissed about this shit.
>>
>>93420392
they buy trades instead. thats where the growth in the market is
>>
>>93422521
And Marvel loses to DC and Image there. Check Comixoligy top digital sales, DC and Image beat them there too.
>>
>>93422537
Good. Fuck Marvel.
>>
>>93419882
How did Marvel fuck up so hard? How did they manage to alienate people on BOTH sides of the political spectrum?
>>
>>93419677
Diamond sucks, the writers could be better, and the most profitable audience are the straight white males. It's a combination of many things, and to point to one thing is kind of dumb. I'm all for hating Diamond comics and I loves me some diversity, but come on.
>>
>>93421989
That's also because of its business model which you have to either watch the show at horrendous hours on television, see it through a random streaming site, or the worst way which is to buy the incredibly expensive blu-ray sets of the episodes which drive the price to far past ridiculous tier. The anime industry is a whale focused market specifically targeting people who will pay tons of money for their obsession and avoiding those who would rather just easily pirate it.
>>
>>93422650
One side is made up of fans alienated by the new direction, the other by people triggered by everything.
>>
>>93421686
Learn how to reply, newfag.
>>
Marvel is a wonderful trash fire of bad management, unwitting self-parody and brand dilution.
You probably shouldn't market exclusively to 40 year old dudes, sure, but ignoring that they are your core audience and cash cow is catostrophically stupid.
Burn baby burn.
>>
The only three faggots defending it on CBR are the only three that cry when people attack a legacy character, interesting.
>>
>>93419865
I don't know, I'm not so sure he's wrong on that point/ It's a good target demo definitely, but comics are such a niche industry already and a million other industries are fighting for those dollars.

Patreon and webcomics show that there is a huge comics audience in the 20-somethings, so I don't think it would be the stupidest thing in the world for one of the big two (in this case, Marvel since DC does better in that demo already and Marvel has given itself the reputation of pandering to the 20-something crowd already. In a negative sense right now, but still.) to switch targets to the younger crowd. Even if that just means Marvel creates an 'art house' imprint and steals some of Drawn and Quarterly's or Image's, or even Dark Horse's talent if they don't want to change TOO much. Hell, they could bring some Francosphere creators over and give headliner spots. They're playing with Mouse money now.
>>
>>93419677
Dude got the ball to the 10 yard line then tripped and it went up his asshole. He was SO CLOSE to being right, but there's no dancing around that marvel's filled their bullpen with idiots and amateurs.
>>
>>93423163
The problem is that you can be any demographic and enjoy any story. Making non-white male leads isn't ignoring your audience, but it really isn't pandering to them. The unfortunate truth is that marvel and dc comics were always about pandering.
>>
>>93419677

>catering to white guys is a disastrous business model!

I know, right? Why would you ever want to sell comics to the people who buy comics? Just ask Marvel. They've had tremendous success marketing exclusively to the transginger polyqueer poc muffinkin crowd.
>>
>>93423452
You're acting like white readers aren't being caters to and that white readers can't possibly like something that isn't about white guys.
>>
>>93423452
oh yeah, cause Archie was only catering to middle aged white men.

Nothing wrong with having a variety of comics. It's just Marvel is doing it at the expense of the comics for us.
>>
>>93420086
>"Hey Sasha have you ever done anal before?"
>>
>>93423511
But this one book existing makes the other books not exist anon
>>
Aren't they supposed to announce more at some point? Seems like I heard a previous post that said they where making a total of six announcements. I mean they haven't even said the creative teams for the new ongoing books
>>
File: japanese animation.jpg (1MB, 4963x3508px) Image search: [Google]
japanese animation.jpg
1MB, 4963x3508px
>>93421989
???
>>
>>93422769
Actually watching the show as it airs generates 0 money for the studios. Japan's industry doesn't work anywhere close to the same as ours. Advertisement revenue goes to the network and most studios are commissioned a flat rate for a series, only getting BD and merchandise cuts. That's why there's no off season for anime and they're always churning out more. If they're not producing, they're not making money.
>>
>>93423411
>pandering
This word has lost all meaning. I'm a white guy and you know what? I want to be pandered to and it aint got shit to do with the complexion or junk of the MC, dumbass.

I want better stories, with more tits, ass and explosions and punching. I want my childhood favorite character, the Falcon to be- Sam Wilson not some legacy fuck.
I want covers that are more than characters just looking out at the reader mad/cool or homages to better covers drawn by better artists. Again tits, ass, explosion, guys punching each other. Black guys, white guys ,transwomen, fembois, ladybous, manladies, I don't care, punching each other all the time. And tits. Lots of giant bouncing tits. Also punching each other.
That's what I want.
>>
>>93423256
Yeah most are saying it is trash.

Just small amount defending it with fallacy and ad hominems and when hit with data, they run.

Do a shit ton of drive by posts.
>>
>>93423817
I'm glad you agree.
>>
>>93423692
I didn't know they got so much money from oversea market
I hope a good part of this comes from Korea or China, because I sure don't want manga and anime to pander to occidentals more that they already do
>>
>>93419677
>guy he's arguing with says that marvel should go back to marketing comics to 40 year old male fans
>brings up race out of fucking nowhere
Why do they ALWAYS do this?
I swear they are obsessed
>>
>>93423915
I'm pretty sure a good chunk of it also comes from european market because frenchs are super weebs.
>>
>>93423817
See, you forgot that pandering to the same demographic as me is a-okay.

It's when they don't do things I like it when it's not okay.
>>
File: All-New GOTG overship.jpg (164KB, 1715x567px) Image search: [Google]
All-New GOTG overship.jpg
164KB, 1715x567px
>>93422064
The overshipping was apparently nuts with GotG last month
>>
>>93424084
I don't know if I'm imagining it, but that post feels pretty sarcastic when I think that's a reasonable sentiment. If a company usually targets me and suddenly changes books to target a different audience, I don't think it's unreasonable to be annoyed at that. Like if Adult Swim suddenly started airing, like, Dora the Explorer, do you think it's silly for the 20 somethings to get upset about it?

But when they aired Peewee and Saved By The Bell, since that was pandering to the original audience, that was fine by most people.
>>
>>93419677
>webcomics
>doing anything good
HA

>Patreon is a huge boon to a lot of cartoonists
Yeah, now you have the chance to give money to a random hack for the promise of a half assed cartoon.
>>
>>93424811
The market decides and what the market wants is to give Jeph Jacques an absurd amount of money to deliver his poorly-conceived waifu comics.
>>
File: tumblr_ob8k3cQ7Zp1tp8xs6o1_1280.png (267KB, 600x771px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ob8k3cQ7Zp1tp8xs6o1_1280.png
267KB, 600x771px
>>93424811

no, no, the other kinds of cartoonists
>>
>>93419677
>It's a /co/ gets mad at someone who is right
Look, I understand that if you take his "middle-aged white guy" comment as to mean that they have to pander to minorities, sure, it's "offensive".

But he is right. I don't know the guy so maybe he is a strong SJW in his other posts., but based on this post alone? Of course Marvel should try to reach more people. Is there really that many kids between 5 and 15 today that regularly read comic books? In 10, 20 years they won't suddenly start doing it. If this golden age of superhero movies doesn't have a huge impact on the sales, nothing will. If they only focus on their current crowd, it will die out.

Now, is he wrong when he says that Marvel is good right now? Absolutely. It's not a matter of taste or opinion; Marvel is putting out more bad than good stuff right now. But when he says that they have to reach more people? That's just as absolute. It's just that it should happen because of the writing or the art, not because someone used the black instead of the white color when coloring a character.
>>
>>93424551
Wait, people DON'T want 430% more than what they reasonably expect to sell of something?
>>
>>93425021
>Is there really that many kids between 5 and 15 today that regularly read comic books? In 10, 20 years they won't suddenly start doing it.
Sure they will, just look at the number of young adults on /co/
>>
>>93421715
Yeah, now post actual comics sold
>>
>>93422650
They alienated their fans that actually buy their products to appeal to an audience that will never buy their products.
>>
>>93425087
yeah especially when they're charged the shipping for it.
>>
>>93422080
>Kill yourself crossboarding scum.
Wait, I knew being obvious about it and especially being unable to contain /v/ autism was bad, but I didn't crossboarding period was frowned upon. I've always considered /co/ my secondary board. /toy/'s my home board.
>>
>>93424811
Plenty of webcomics are good. They're just not the ones making any money.
>>
File: 1427821640256.jpg (48KB, 553x640px) Image search: [Google]
1427821640256.jpg
48KB, 553x640px
>>93419677
>democratized
>>
>>93423640

It actually does you fucking retard. Kate "the REAL Hawkeye" replaced Clint, RiRi replaced Tony, Cho and Jennifer replaced Banner, Jane replaced Odinson. Not all characters have both original character and legary ongoings
>>
>>93426341
>Kate "the REAL Hawkeye" replaced Clint,

Clint was in Occupy Avengers
>>
>>93425087
No, they don't, they did a shitload of math to calculate how much shelf space they would need and how much would be taken up so that they didn't have a hoard of excess in their backroom or on the shelves taking up space, if nobody is buying it than it's just eating room in one way or another. It's a pain and it's a hazard and it's hurting their overall sales.

THEN they have the audacity to charge shipping for this shit they never wanted and can't sell and is taking up space from stuff that does sell.
>>
>>93419677
>the digests are a good idea
>putting marvel back in grocery stores after destroying any and all interest in your line
>>
>>93425021

>Is there really that many kids between 5 and 15 today that regularly read comic books? In 10, 20 years they won't suddenly start doing it

Always played with superhero figurines as a kid and I watched Batman Forever almost every day at one point. I started buying comics 2 years ago at 23. Every Wednesday I spent anywhere between $20 and $50 at my LCBS. I just couldn't afford that as a kid or teenager. This may not be the case for everyone but it happens
>>
>>93426369

I'm talking about ongoings

>>93426501

>putting marvel back in grocery stores after destroying any and all interest in your line

People who don't buy comics don't know about that and people who buy Marvel comics don't want to admit it. It could work, but only as self contained stories or one shots. They should try selling annuals in grocery stores
>>
>>93419677
Its like they dont want the concept of true fans and only want focus on fickle people who dont care about comics because theyre entitled
>>
>>93419677
I mean, Marvel is mediocre, but the direct market is no longer the beginning and ending of comics.

So:

Right:
>direct market sucks

Wrong:
>Marvel isn't shit

The problem is that Marvel being shit effects the direct market HARD. Marvel could crash the whole direct market if they keep being horrible.
>>
>>93421099
Bullshit. DC has more noticeable and reliable talent. How many books does Marvel have Bendis writing RIGHT NOW?
>>
>>93426692
>I mean, Marvel is mediocre, but the direct market is no longer the beginning and ending of comics.

Not yet.

If you took the direct market out, trade and digital aren't enough to keep things afloat. At this point in time you'd need all three.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 1800x2767px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 1800x2767px
>>93425021
>But he is right. I don't know the guy so maybe he is a strong SJW in his other posts., but based on this post alone? Of course Marvel should try to reach more people. Is there really that many kids between 5 and 15 today that regularly read comic books? In 10, 20 years they won't suddenly start doing it. If this golden age of superhero movies doesn't have a huge impact on the sales, nothing will. If they only focus on their current crowd, it will die out.
The problem is that Marvel wants the NEW AUDIENCE and the OLD AUDIENCE to read the same books, and that's retarded. The shared universe of Marvel has been stretched pretty far in the past, but I think it's broken, and not just because of poorly managed continuity. They want to make old neckbeards care about characters made for young hipsters, and young hipsters to latch on to characters that simply have too much history for them to ever care about. Why are Patsy Walker, Squirrel Girl and Mockingbird set in the Marvel Universe with established characters instead of new, fresh ones? Because Marvel isn't confident new readers will come, so they tie things up with characters that old readers care about. Same reason they don't introduce new, young minority characters, it's always a legacy (well, a few Inhumans, but inhumans are a whole other issue). A character like Ms. Marvel has some appeal to both sides, but does her being tied to the inhumans and Carol make for a better character, or tie her to stuff that keeps her from finding a more focused audience? Why does Moongirl meet other Marvel characters all the time? Shouldn't a comic about a little girl and t-rex hold its own? Why wasn't Mockingbird a feminist spy thriller focused on an original character, it's not like it used anything in the Marvel universe very well?

If Marvel wants to be diverse, really diverse, they have to made a line of books outside of the Marvel Universe. Let the neckbeards have their universe, let the hipster feminist have theirs.
>>
>>93426888
They introduced new minority characters (Avengers Academy, Mosaic), but they don't save them from cancellation like they do with the legacy shitters.
>>
>>93426741
Hopefully that dependency will keep being eaten away at. I like my local comic shop, but I like comics more. I want more people to read stuff.

How is manga doing these days? A decent amount of people still reading them?
>>
>>93426501
According to the listing, Archie's Spider-Man digest has the following:

-Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 38, 156-159;
-Marvel Age Spider-Man 1 (A story), 6;
-Marvel Adventures Spider-Man (2005) 2-3;
-Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man 1;
-Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors 8

#38 is Ditko's final issue,
#156-159 is the Wein/Andru storyarc where Doc Ock takes a romantic interest in Aunt May and is attacked by Hammerhead's "ghost",
Marvel Age #1 and 6 were the retellings of the Lee/Ditko Vulture stories in a modern style by Daniel Quantz and Mark Brooks
Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #2-3 is a Sinister Six story
The two Ultimate ones are the from the cartoon rather than Bendis'.
>>
>>93426741
Some very incorrect logic there. First, taking the direct market out doesn't mean taking floppies out entirely. And two, even if we did take floppies out entirely, you're assuming that money would just disappear from the industry when there would be a good amount of people that would move from floppies to digital and likely buy more trades on top of that if that was the only option.
>>
>>93426925
Still, they have to take the risk. Just having everything be a legacy, especially when there are so many active, new legacies right now, feel cheap. New characters are a bigger risk, but the reward is bigger as well.
>>
>>93426925
>Mosaic
Remember when that was supposed to be the Next Big Thing from Marvel?

Remember when it tanked harder than Alpha in "Amazing Spider-Man"?
>>
>>93426888

>segregation is the way to go for things to become more diverse and progressive

Spoken like a true liberal
>>
>>93426994
Name one way Mockingbird benefited from being in the Marvel Universe?

And don't say "tricking readers" because we all know how important that Civil War 2 tie in was.
>>
>>93426501
As someone who grew up in a small town with no comic book store I would've absolutely loved to have access to the digests. I always wanted to read Spider-Man comics as a kid but had no where to get them other than flea markets. On top of that the only comics sold in the convenience store were those overpriced double sided books. I read one (It was Ultimate Spider-Man #43 I think) where nothing heroic happened and he crawled up a window to find a guy crossdressing. I was a little weirded out and decided "well I guess marvel comics just aren't for kids like me anymore".
Now that I'm old enough to go to a LCS and buy my own comics, Spider-Man is garbage.
>>
>>93423511
Yeah, as we know, its nonwhites that can't read books written by whites or about whites. Which is why we get internet points for appealing to diversity
>>
>>93427016

Just busting your balls, I get what you're saying. It affects Marvel as a whole tho, not just the "diverse" heroes. Did you read the new Spectacular Spider-Man book? Special appearance by the Human Torch, Antman, Falcon, RiRi and even the Tinkerer's brother. It's a Spidey book ffs, he doesn't need any of these people to carry his book
>>
>>93426888
>shared universe means you can't have a diverse line of books
The fuck? Marvel had diversity before it had (((diversity))). I'm not against books being outside of continuity I love Elseworlds and Punisher MAX, but to lay Marvel's current troubles at shared universes door is just bullshit.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 1800x2732px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 1800x2732px
>>93427122
I think if Marvel has a line or two to try and get new readers, old readers wouldn't feel as defensive when a new character came in. Legacies are also a tricky point, because they do work when done right, they can lose readers if they just feel like a cheap replacement for their favorite character.

I didn't see the Spectacular issues you're mentioning, but I might look for them later. Spiderman is a great gateway to introduce new characters, they should introduce more in his pages and see who catches on. Carol's original run gave her Spidey's entire supporting cast to help ease readers into her. Marvel needs to focus on giving older readers things like Gwenpool (solid writing, fabulous to passable art, new character that brings a different perspective to the Marvel Universe).

I grew up Marvel, I'd love if they were great these days, but I'm not feeling it.
>>
>>93422650
One side doesn't buy comics and the second side doesn't buy the comics pandering to the other side.
>>
>>93427144
Yeah, but Marvel has had comics outside the shared universe before, and DC has several books that are their own thing. You could probably do a Superman/Flintstones crossover, but it would be absurd to pretend they take place in the same universe month after month. And it's not JUST because Marvel has a shared universe that we have these problems, they've had this universe since forever. The problem is that they know some of these books are specifically aimed at a different market, yet still try to trick older readers into "this stuff is important canon". Patsy Walker and Mockingbird has the flimsiest Civil War 2 crossovers, and I'm almost certain She-Hulk and Hawkeye were chosen for their roles in the even specifically to push those titles. In Patsy Walker the loss of She-Hulk didn't matter because Jubilee came in to bail Patsy out of trouble in basically the same way, and the Mockingbird tie in... holy shit. Not only was she "trying to find evidence" to help in a trial whose result was published weeks ahead of the tie in, that was all a ruse just to retcon her rape into a consensual affair. Which, just shows the writer wasn't trained in superhero books, because if you don't like some part of canon, you just ignore it.

Also, Cain never retconned how Bobbie ended things with Phantom Rider... this is a pretty bad way to handle a break up.
>>
>>93425087
You gotta realize, people don't often window-shop at comics stores. They come in knowing what they want. So if they ordered 10 copies, its because they expected 10 copies is the maximum they can sell. The other 43 are literally just wasted space

Worse, shipping costs are paid by the stores and are paid by weight. They're charged extra shipping cause of the weight of 43 floppies. If they refuse to pay, they lose the entire order. No comics that week
>>
>>93424922
Ooohhh momma.
>>
>>93426973
Not for a lot of series. You'd lose literally every dollar from variants. Collectors would vanish. Pretty much every series has a minimum sales solely because of collectors. That would go.
>>
>>93423692
Ok but how does that revenue distribute between all the different series coming out nowadays? Aren't there a lot more sereis now than during say 2002? or am I wrong?
>>
File: dafuq2.jpg (46KB, 932x520px) Image search: [Google]
dafuq2.jpg
46KB, 932x520px
>>93419677
>joined in 2014
>5,572 posts
>>
>>93423692
Damn anon got shut down
>>
>>93423692
the pachinko menace
>>
>>93428554
>shipping costs are paid by the stores and are paid by weight. They're charged extra shipping cause of the weight of 43 floppies
This includes overshipping, doesn't it
>>
>>93424551
Someone actually wanted a replacement issue for America #2
>>
>>93429333
Yeah that's what we're talking about.
Overshipping SOUNDS good, but in reality can be detrimental to comic stores.
>>
>>93429370
I never thought overshipping sounded good, and that's not even being a contrarian here. Inventory that can't sell is less than worthless.
>>
>>93429408
Yeah, but theoretically you could sell the extra copies. A lot of people don't realize that there is a reason they buy the amount of copies they buy
>>
>>93429439
Theoretically Champions was going to be a big hit. Theories don't put money on the table.
>>
>>93426176
>penny arcade doesn't make good money.

no movie money like batman, but makes good money
>>
>>93429439
>theoretically
LCS owners don't have the resources to heatseal shit books in triple bags and find a way to dump them on dollar stores
>>
File: spidermantheblackening80.jpg (277KB, 998x1327px) Image search: [Google]
spidermantheblackening80.jpg
277KB, 998x1327px
Never give CBR an inch...
>>
>>93429462
>Theoretically Champions was going to be a big hit
No, it never was and the writer on it guaranteed that. Marvel hoping something will happen doesn't make it theoretically anything.
>>
>>93429493
You're prepared to edit out the first 2 panels when that turns out to be Vulture's daughter, right?
>>
>>93429523
Not if she's named "MJ" regardless of what combination created the initials...
>>
>>93426166
Too late!
Build a wall
And make /v/ pay for it!
Make /co/ Great Again!
>>
>>93429493
Is cool-in-loo flash going to be called flush?
>>
>>93429599
Considering how this teenage generation has turned into complete pussies, I'm not surprised they'd identify more with being bullied by a rich hipster's attitude more then being beaten and pushed into a locker...
>>
>>93429666
>Satan is a baby boomer who hates "kids these days"
I believe it.
>>
>>93426717
They had Lemire but now that he's gone they don't have anyone else.
>>
>>93421099
DC at least has King and priest
>>
>>93424551
what message board is that?
>>
>>93425275
Technically those are the actual comics sold, given the way the direct market works and how it's entirely a speculative market. We do know that Marvel's numbers are inflated due to overshipping, oversaturation and high pricing. DC puts out fewer books that cost less, yet they still dominate the top ten without having to resort to loot crates and overshipping.
>>
>>93421740
Marvel is all about short term gain at the expense of long term viability, and have been since the 90s.
>>
>>93426717
Dude, half of DC's "talent" right now are Marvel rejects.
>>
>>93421715
>literally taking the 2014 chart and changing the title

The absolute state of drones
>>
>>93424922
Disgusting
>>
>>93430355
King's Batman has been garbage. Truth is, his Omega Men and Vision had hiccups too but they weren't bad enough to ruin the entire things but since then editors have just let him "work his genius" unfiltered and he's been trying to hard to please fans and doing dumb shit.
>>
>>93430757
>We do know that Marvel's numbers are inflated due to overshipping, oversaturation and high pricing
These are really shitty excuses because Marvel ALWAYS does this. This is the standard.
>>
>>93426149
And can't sell it, so they have to store it in back-issue bins, where they'll just gather dust and take up space. Very few people buy backissues at a comic shop, and the ones that do aren't typically buying anything fairly recent.
>>
>>93421715
Okay, breaking this down as to why you're wrong.

Market share is what, percentage of books published? Okay, Mavel is certainly publishing more titles than anyone else, with DC being a bit behind them. That means Marvel is selling more titles to everyone, makes them look good.

Except, of those titles...they sell like shit. So sure, DC is putting out fewer titles, but they sell more copies of those titles, where as Mavel is selling fewer copies of each title, but putting out so many titles it looks like their wining.

At the end of the day though, DC is more successful because people actually are buying what they're selling, and Marvel isn't because they're selling enough to cover what people aren't buying.
>>
>>93429462
Champions should have been, even with Ramos on art. It was putting Waid on it and marketing it as a social justice progressive book that killed it.

With that line up, it had no excuse to fail, but it did because Marvel's incompetent.
>>
File: 1412817513704.jpg (27KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1412817513704.jpg
27KB, 240x240px
>>93429472
>implying Penny Arcade is good
>>
>>93430852
And? Every writer has written bad things.
>>
>>93420086
>sasha
shit taste
>>
>>93429493
We don't fucking need Miles.
>>
>>93430371
looking at the grenade its SomethingAwful. Aka the site where organized doxxing and harassment campaigns in the west began.
>>
>>93426888
>A character like Ms. Marvel has some appeal to both sides

Ms. Marvel is a shining example of a forced character literally NO ONE likes. Yet Marvel keeps trying to shove her down everyones throats. She's the poster child for all of the shit Marvel is doing wrong for fucks sake.
>>
>>93419743
Sure why not
>>
>>93421401
Behold, a definite specimen of a /co/ neckbeard.
>>
>>93432465
Are you referring to Carol?
>>
>>93432905

Yeah, that one.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.