[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art Style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: sabrinasecrets4.jpg (52KB, 570x420px) Image search: [Google]
sabrinasecrets4.jpg
52KB, 570x420px
How important is art style in your enjoyment of a cartoon or comic?
Will you not pick something up simply because of the way it looks or are visuals secondary to other things?
>>
>>93411445
Yes, its hard to enjoy a cartoon when I can't stare at it for more than 5 seconds
>>
Very important. Comics and cartoons are a visual medium so I'd definitely put how it looks as my top priority.
>>
Yeah, I couldn't watch Problem Solverz.
>>
>>93411445
Art Style? Definitively important. Refuse to watch that stupid upcoming show OK KO because I cannot stand the shitty art style.

Also /co/ saying that the females are hot in OK KO shows what lack of standards you people have. Fuck you.
>>
>>93411635
oi
>>
>>93411445
Pretty important, I refused to watch problem solverz because of the way it looked and if that summer camp island continues to look like shit then I won't watch that either.
>>
>>93411445
12 oz mouse looks like shit and it's still a great show.
>>
>>93411445
It's one or the other. If the visuals suck, the story needs to be good. If the story sucks, the visuals need to be really, really good.

It's a moot point for 3D Sabrina though. The writing is atrocious as the designs.
>>
>>93411445
Something that can at least get me to check out a cartoon or comic, but I can forgive bad/weird art styles faster than bad writing.
>>
How it looked was the least of Sabrina's problems.
>>
File: 12-oz-mouse.jpg (106KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
12-oz-mouse.jpg
106KB, 1600x1200px
>>93411445
People who place importance on art style, but give shit like 12 oz. mouse a pass are hypocrites who probably hated cartoons growing up.
>>
>>93411925
No its not
>>
>>93411445

The Anime standard, if it does not looks like Anime then is shit.
>>
>>93411445
>>93411964
>If the visuals suck, the story needs to be good. If the story sucks, the visuals need to be really, really good.
I'd like to say this, but really the second case just doesn't work. If the story actually sucks no visuals can save the show.

But if the story is just mediocre instead, that's a different story... pun intended.
>>
>>93412177
I've never even heard of this show, but judging from this picture alone, I'd say the art is purposely "bad" to seem charming. It gets a pass from me, and I'm pretty shallow when it comes to shows.
>>
>>93411925
This

>>93412177
>>93412204
Wrong, at least watch it before criticizing it.

>>93412254
Watch it all the way through, it's only 20 episodes and it's one of the best cartoons I've ever seen.
>>
>>93411635
>implying /co/ has standards
>>
File: 1491158816057.gif (295KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1491158816057.gif
295KB, 512x512px
>>93411445
Honestly, my standard is:

If it's purposefully bad but not eye-searing like 12 oz. mouse, simple, but childlike and charming, that's not as bad as...

Corporate CG bullshit. Like OP's pic. It hurts to look at, it wasn't a stylistic choice, it was made out of sheer laziness. CG is cheaper, and less time designing characters = faster production = more merch $$$

Then again Problem Solvers is eye rape incarnate, and unlike 12 oz. Mouse, it has no childlike charm, it's an epileptic's worst nightmare, and probably killed off several people's animation prospects.

(Anyone else remember Secret Mountain Fort Awesome? Similar art style, almost like Garbage Patch Kids on crack, but shitty composition. I guess that affects it too.)
>>
>>93414872
I think Problem Solverz was an actual prank on the network pulled by some Sam Hyde type person. It isn't judt incompetent or lazy bad. It's bad in impressive ways, like the inability to distinguish characters from the background.

But yes, your gif really illustrates a big tumor in the cartoon industry. A cartoon should never be boring looking. Not everything has to be John K. but we're not seeing distinctive styles emerging. The calarts circlejerk can get redundant but it isn't wrong. It feels like everything is trying to be Adventure Time, both visually and in writing.
>>
In my opinion how bad something looks depends on how cheap it is. All those crappy cgi shows that looks like dog shit are worse than intentionally bad art like Squidbillies or something
>>
>>93415236
But CG animation always looks terrible, unless it's cel-shaded and thus essentially 2D (which I don't think any shows actually do).
>>
If the artwork in comic isn't my taste, I will not read it.

I miss being able to read female solos...
>>
my tastes are weird because I like styles that people usually find ugly so it might look like I don't care about style from the outside, but actually if I don't like a style I can't bring myself to watch something at all.
>>
>>93415055
>>93414872
Building on this, compare the art style of Ed Edd & Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, Billy & Mandy, Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, Doug, Ren & Stimpy, etc.

I love the look of some of these shows while others looked like shit, in my opinion. But they were all very distinctive. It's like the creators wanted to carve a niche for themselves in the animation world. Even more modern shows, like Chowder and Flapjack, were distinctive (moreso the latter, due to its unique line size and color palette, whereas the former had a very unique world).
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.