[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /co/ jokes that have not aged well at all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

File: an idealists dream in 1976.png (708KB, 800x1085px) Image search: [Google]
an idealists dream in 1976.png
708KB, 800x1085px
Is this cartoon still funny when understood in its 1976 context, or did 9/11 completely suck out all the humor from Twin Towers jokes?

Anyway, post old jokes that could cause riots if they were to be re-published today
>>
File: subway9-11.jpg (128KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
subway9-11.jpg
128KB, 1200x675px
>>93402455
You have to give the context you're talking about to be able to judge it. Although just looking at in a vacuum, I have a very hard time believing that it was funny even with context in 1976.

In any event, your logic is flawed. Jokes have specifically ABOUT 9/11 have been made and were funny. And only idiots would "riot" over something tangentially involving an event that happened decades after the fact.
>>
What if there was like a city of Twin Towers?
>>
>>93402765
So, Mega City One?
>>
>>93402742
More specifically, I'm talking about Twin Towers jokes made before 2001
>>
File: Lisa19.png (343KB, 474x408px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa19.png
343KB, 474x408px
I guess all the jokes that are rage meme related, or have been a specific overblown trend won't age well and will be completely forgotten in a few years. Gravity Falls had a few of these jokes hinted in the show but not shown specifically or humor was based around that concept, it was just a bonus gag.
>>
>>93402455
Hippies did 9/11?
>>
File: WTC MM (11).jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
WTC MM (11).jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>93402805
I don't know about "jokes", but there's a shit ton of articles, ads, and stories made about the Twin Towers pre-2001 that are pretty bad to look at now.
>>
File: simpsons_9-11_02.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons_9-11_02.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>93402805
And I'm saying nobody cares. For a few years, there was a bit of a moratorium on showing the Twin Towers in any context. That stopped. I'm pretty sure the Simpsons New York episode is back in syndication now and nobody will be upset.
>>
>>93402455
911 jokes arent funny. Sexist and holocaust and slavery jokes are though.
>>
File: tumblr_lq5iktU5cJ1qkzq2g.jpg (76KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lq5iktU5cJ1qkzq2g.jpg
76KB, 400x300px
>>93402455
Most racist jokes in old cartoons.
>>
>>93402742
Your pic related is hilarious, because it's making fun of profiting off tragedy. Straight up 9/11 jokes, while I don't get personally offended, just come across as trying too hard to be edgy.
>>
>>93402940
4chan is the wrong place for that, friend.

They think saying "niggers lol" is the peak of humor. I agree, though. Jokes need substance. Stuff like that isn't shocking anymore, so the audacity isn't funny. Call me an SJW, but nowadays, it just seems immature.
>>
>>93403012
Even before the Trumpening, I started to hate /pol/. Hitler, kill the Jews, hail the KKK, etc... that's not funny anymore. It's been said over and over and over again.
>>
File: cookieMonster_9-11.jpg (991KB, 1224x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cookieMonster_9-11.jpg
991KB, 1224x1600px
>>93402940
Sure, but it's still what OP is talking about (I think). He thinks jokes that are about whatever topic involving the Twin Towers made prior to 9/11 would be banned today. I'm saying no, jokes that are about whatever topic involving 9/11 itself have been made.

Some old things may be considered retroactively in poor taste and quietly ignored, but nobody with a rational mind would find them offensive. How the hell could people in the 70s have known?
>>
>>93403012
>>93403057
Raimiposting is quite amusing, although WE WUZ is awful.
>>
>>93402455
>Hippies did 9/11

Seems obvious in hindsight
>>
>>93403012
The immaturity is sort of the appeal for some I think.
>>
>>93403258
I enjoy WE posting only because I reflexively read WE in a goofy voice and it gets a chuckle out of me.
>>
>>93403057
>>93403012
>>93403382
I'll never understand why some people can't evolve their sense of humor beyond a middle school level.
>>
File: FUTURE.jpg (4KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
FUTURE.jpg
4KB, 160x120px
PREDICTED THE FUTURE
>>
>>93403076
nothing will kill a party faster than the climax of King Kong '76
>>
>>93403443
Why should they? And even so who says they can't have an immature sense of humor and a more complex sense of humor as well. I mean we're on a board that watches kid shows. A good chunk of the media we consume involves some pretty low brow shit, not to say there aren't kids shows that have relatively mature humor but they probably also rely on shit as simple as wacky faces.
>>
>>93402765
like New York

some kind of city full of very tall buildings that aren't all exactly the same height

something like that
>>
File: batman222_9021.jpg (142KB, 460x706px) Image search: [Google]
batman222_9021.jpg
142KB, 460x706px
>>93402455
TV Tropes has a catalog of these.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FunnyAneurysmMoment
>>
File: bananaskin.jpg (733KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bananaskin.jpg
733KB, 1920x1152px
>>93403443
because they're animals
>>
File: WTC 2020.jpg (311KB, 818x508px) Image search: [Google]
WTC 2020.jpg
311KB, 818x508px
>>93403076
It was obviously offensive enough for people to initially pull it for a few years. And it's still offensive enough that SOME things haven't made it back into syndication yet. Most people have backed down from that now, yeah, but there is still an unspoken rule about showing the WTC in a certain light.

Like, we might have movies set in the 70's that still show them in the skyline, but we're never going to have an action movie set in 80's NYC where Twin Towers get destroyed along with every other landmark. That shit would cause fucking riots. And you know that to be true, and in that regard, it still kind of is a touchy subject.

I mean, look at the Titantic. We have a ton of fucking jokes in movies and cartoons involving ships hitting icebergs and going down. Ghostbusters had a joke that no one finds offensive of someone calling the police to tell them the Titantic just docked and it cuts to a bunch of ghosts and a ghost ship. You think we're ever going to have ghost Twin Towers in the foreseeable future? I don't think anyone would even dare to make that joke in the next 50 years.

If you've ever looked at current works that show modern NYC, you'll notice that a large majority of establishing shots, ads, and even tourist merch fail to include the new One World Trade Center but almost exclusively use the Empire State and Chrysler Building, whereas prior to that, it was almost exclusively the Twin Towers to showcase "we're in New York". There's a subtle reason for that and I think it goes beyond, "People don't recognize that building".

Marvel is probably one of the few big name studios that actually includes the building in their skyline shots.
>>
>>93403517
>tvtropes
Hows it going 2008?
>>
>>93403558
>we're never going to have an action movie set in 80's NYC where Twin Towers get destroyed along with every other landmark.
I'd bet $100 that there will be such movie within 20 years.
>>
>>93403597
Shh, just let your tabs multiply
>>
>>93403633
With how bad the current state of Hollywood is right now where they're too scared to do anything that ISN'T a sequel, prequel, or reboot, I can't see them doing anything daring at the moment. It's hard to imagine Hollywood even reverting back to a daring mindset in the next two decades with how bad its gotten right now.
>>
>>93403558
>I mean, look at the Titantic. We have a ton of fucking jokes in movies and cartoons involving ships hitting icebergs and going down. Ghostbusters had a joke that no one finds offensive of someone calling the police to tell them the Titantic just docked and it cuts to a bunch of ghosts and a ghost ship. You think we're ever going to have ghost Twin Towers in the foreseeable future? I don't think anyone would even dare to make that joke in the next 50 years.
And what's your point? It sounds like you're saying it's exactly like the Titanic. Nobody made Titanic jokes in the 1920s. Ghostbusters 2 was made over 70 years after the fact. So yes, we will see tasteless goofy jokes about 9/11 in mainstream media within our lifetimes. We already have a generation reaching adulthood who don't remember 9/11. In a couple of years, literally two years, we'll have a new generation of adults who were born after 9/11. They won't have the same respect that people who lived through it had, and it'll start becoming more acceptable to make jokes. Just like everything else that has ever happened. Hell, to your other point, just like how it's okay to show the Empire State building in the skyline because no one remembers the time a B-29 slammed into it in 1945.
>>
>>93403678
Exactly. That's exactly why we'll see it happen. Someone is going to remake Die Hard into another garbage "universe", and they're going to raise the stakes by blowing up Nakatoma. And you know damn well that they don't have to call it the Twin Towers for the people to draw parallels.
>>
>>93403724
>So yes, we will see tasteless goofy jokes about 9/11 in mainstream media within our lifetimes.
In the era of celebrity apologies every other day because of viral news marketing, you REALLY think that's true?

You sound a little underage yourself.
>>
>>93403678
I don't expect Hollywood to make it. Hollywood as it exists today seems to be dead in the water, and the sharks - smart, multimillionaire sharks like https://archive.fo/7Q9Qj - are circling ever closer. It will probably be either a "movie startup" or a Western filmmaker working out of China who does it.
>>
>>93403724
>Hell, to your other point, just like how it's okay to show the Empire State building in the skyline because no one remembers the time a B-29 slammed into it in 1945.
3000 people didn't die on American soil and it didn't cause two wars that are still going on 15 years later. The two aren't even comparable.
>>
>>93402893
Simpsons did it
>>
>>93403783
Of course it's true. Whether or not people apologize for it is really besides the point. People are apologizing for making Pearl Harbor jokes even today, but they are making those jokes. You can't possibly be naive enough to believe it won't happen.
>>
>>93403724
>>93403783
To be fair Family Guy made several.
South Park made a few indirect ones as well.
>>
>>93403558
>One World Trade Center
I am not American and this has been bothering me: why didn't they rebuild the Towers exactly as before?
>>
>>93403895
Family Guy is known for being as crass and offensive as possible.

South Park's never made 9/11 jokes so much as 9/11 conspiracy jokes. Cartman might have said some 9/11 things on other episodes, but he's on the same level as Family Guy where he thinks the Holocaust was funny. He's suppose to be edgy.
>>
>>93402455
Why not? This was funny in the 90'S

Only see to Marvel
>>
>>93403901
Politics. A lot of politics.

One of the reasons was also that they figured people would never work in a building that looked exactly like ones people jumped from and died in. They also did not want to build them in the same "side-by-side" locations because of how much it disrupted street flow, which is why the new buildings are across the street from each other. They also thought it would be inconsiderate as if they were trying to cover up that it never happened which would dishonor the victims to try and erase that memory.

A lot of reasons.
>>
>>93403823
But the B-29 wasn't a CGI fabrication.
>>
>>93403558
Breaking down the towers only was the perfect excuse to build new buildings
>>
>>93403977
Except the entire complex got destroyed. And subway tunnels, and a church, and part of a hotel.
>>
>>93403916
I meant more The Jersey Shore is repelled by recruiting Osama Bin Laden to crash airliners into them.
Man that episode is 7 years old.
>>
>>93403850
>You can't possibly be naive enough to believe it won't happen.
Yeah, if there is one thing you can learn from history, it's that you should be skeptical of the type of claim that goes like "X has always happened, but we are special and our period is special, so this time it won't".
>>
File: 1471527498375.png (133KB, 305x448px) Image search: [Google]
1471527498375.png
133KB, 305x448px
>>93403901
>>93403949
Am from New York, personally I think they should have left the foot prints alone and made it a permanent memorial, but the real estate is way too valuable.

>tfw I travel and work in a lot of different states now, and there's always that tasteless asshole who asks me about 9/11

I'm not incredibly sensitive about it but I wish people had more tact.
>>
>>93403931
Why is juggernaut doing that one stock face from one piece? Is this were the artist got it from?
>>
>>93404090
I don't think anyone is trying to be rude. It's just the proximity to the event is something most people didn't have and they would be genuinely curious as to what it was like to actually be there. It's one thing to watch it unfold on TV like the vast majority of us did. It's another to have seen it in real life. I think that's where most people are coming from, just wanting to know more. Of course, now that I've thought about it, I see what the problem is.
>>
>>93404106
wanting a controlled demolition that kills no one and wanting a terror attack that kills thousands are not the same thing.
>>
>>93404034
This is still the biggest terrorist attack in history with it being the biggest attack on American soil in one of the busiest cities and one of the most heavily recorded single events in history.

Maybe in 100 years when everyone who remembers it is dead, Universal Studios will make an action movie homage and have the Twin Towers get destroyed like the good ol' days of cinema, but that's a lot of "firsts" and "mosts" to not think it's going to be incredibly sensitive for a long, long time for people. Just because some indie film does something with the Twin Towers is not an indication that we've "moved on". Independent artists try to shock audiences all the time. That's nothing new.

This was uploaded to a company's Facebook page last year and was taken down in less than a day which how much of an uproar it caused. The lady had to spend the next few weeks apologizing and is probably still dealing with the aftermath of this shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZmM-2gj5Gc

This is also the first time we have something like the internet in the vast scope of history, which has effectively destroyed the news industry into being desperate for any clickbait material they can find to meet quotas and created viral phenomenons every other day. Look at the amount of people that credit the internet as thanks for Trump getting elected (Whether or not it's true, I don't know, I didn't follow the cause and effect that much).

Nevers and always are big claims, yeah, but we're living in kind of an abnormal time here that you can't make full on comparisons to previous eras. It's kind of like how the war right before WWI was people marching in their bright uniforms with just guns and nothing more. Some things are similar, but there's also a big "jump" in new territory.
>>
File: romanGrafitti.jpg (3MB, 3100x6280px) Image search: [Google]
romanGrafitti.jpg
3MB, 3100x6280px
>>93404261
You're missing the point. Nobody said anything about people moving on. We just said it'll happen. And you've already proven the point by pointing out examples of it already having happened. Hell, it happened before the dust had even settled. Gilbert Gottfried told his infamous Aristocrats joke immediately after a badly received 9/11 joke. In November of 2001.

Also, as for this being an abnormal era, it isn't. It really fucking isn't at all. Technology changes and cultural norms change, but human beings themselves never really do.
>>
File: 1480352784801.gif (1MB, 179x179px) Image search: [Google]
1480352784801.gif
1MB, 179x179px
>>93404234

I know, I know. I also take a lot of pains not to bite someone's head off. It's just weird to have someone casually ask 'hey, why don't you tell us about the scariest thing that happened during your adolescence?'.

It's happening less, but I've learned to rapidly change the subject, which is frankly a very valuable skill you should all learn if you ever put your foot in your mouth and / or don't want to talk about something
>>
>>93404423
You're taking it way too literal that "It will happen" vs. "It will happen without consequence". I've been meaning the latter the entire time, as was OP's intended point of "causing riots". Otherwise me printing out a 9/11 joke and gluing it on the wall of a building counts as it happening.
>>
>>93404543
Alright,fair enough. I still say you're wrong, however. On a long enough timeline, it'll happen without consequence. We'll probably be dead by then, but it'll happen and no one will give shit. People have made plenty of goofy jokes about guillotines and the French Revolution in the past century. I'm sure it would have been considered rude and tasteless in the 1800s, but there's no one around to care anymore. Or consider the Mongol invasions. Millions upon millions of people died. Today, we just slap that shit in a Disney film and nobody even blinks. In the 22nd century, it'll happen with 9/11. They'll be too busy being offended by something that'll have happened to them to worry about respecting the tragedies of our era.
>>
>>93403901
>>93403949
Another reason is because the World Trade Center towers were built in a style of architecture that hasn't been fashionable in over forty years. You can't just rebuild two giant second-wave International-style, pre-Postmodernism, vaguely New Formalist skyscrapers without a colossal amount of faggots bitching about how literally outdated and literally not 2017 they are.
>>
Absurdity is the apex of humor. And there's a little absurdity to find in everything.
>>
>>93404945
Plus the original WTC weren't even "in style" back when they were built. People only liked them cause Philipe walked across them.
>>
>>93403076
>it's still what OP is talking about (I think)
It clearly isn't.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.