[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I figured out what happened to Delight Consider the following:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: Delirium_Sandman.jpg (41KB, 300x470px) Image search: [Google]
Delirium_Sandman.jpg
41KB, 300x470px
I think I figured out what happened to Delight
Consider the following:
>>
>>93400848
Notice that each of the Endless represent a what I would call, a negative concept
I mean... let's see

Destiny - the inability to write your own future
Death - well, the end of your life
Dream - a fantasy, a fiction
Desire - lust, urge
Despair - sadness, depression
Destruction - self-explanatory

and there, among these scary concepts, there is...
Delight - relief, happiness
Something that seems to be positive, right?
>>
>>93400860
However, as Destruction once explained to Dream, the Endless actually represent the opposite of who they are, or maybe, the result of their actions, gives the opposite fruits of their natural functions

Thanks to Destiny, we can fight to change our fate
Thanks to Death, there is Life
Thanks to Dream, there is Reality
Thanks to Desire, we form our goals, that we want to achieve
Thanks to Despair, we learn about Hope
Thanks to Destruction, there is creation
>>
>>93400877
So if these seemingly negative things bring goodness in the end,
it would mean that Delight would result in what?
Misery? Pain? And let's not forget that concept of Delight might also affect,
directly or indirectly, the rest of the endless.
And maybe remove the need to challenge yourself, because everything is so delightul, right?

With delight, there might not even be a need to despair, or to desire. Or to create. Or to live?

With delight, there is no compassion, no empathy, because you cannot learn it, when everything makes you feel good. In many ways, life would be like neverending party on drugs.
>>
>>93400892
We know that the lack of Death would be disastrous, even if Death in itself is something sad, something we might not want, a gift that we want reject.

So we can only guess how disastrous it is, when something uncontrollably happy happens, without anything sad to contain, or even limiting it. Life cannot be only rainbows, because it might make you puke.

Now, the idea is, that Delight might have seen the fruits of her labor, and understand that she was a mistake, needed to be corrected, especially when Delirium later says that she knows and understand more than other Endless.

That knowledge might have been the result of her experience and enlightnement in regards to her role as an Endless.
>>
>>93400914
Anyway, once Delight became aware of her place and seen the disastrous results on her positivism, she consciously became a negative aspect, just like her siblings - Delirium.

And she did it by containing out of fear of what happened, the Delight to herself, and because it was too much, it made her go crazy.

And while Delirium represents madness, chaos, insanity, and confusion, in the end it brings logic, reason, order and... compassion, empathy, love and understanding.

So everything is all right in the end.
>>
>>93400923
So that's it from me. I guess that you will probably disagree with everything I posted
>>
>>93400892
>Or to live?
>Don't live, somehow delight
Easy, guv.
Only take the points you can make, or you'll lose the whole one you're making.
>>
>>93400969
Well yeah. I meant that the life would be pointless, and therefore dying wouldn't be much of a deal, because everything is swell, just swell
>>
Another thought
When you feel bad, you try to understand why do you feel bad, and you put effort into finding happiness.

When happiness is given, you don't appreciate it, and become selfish.
>>
>>93401948
Thanks anon but it wasn't needed. Sometimes it's not a right time, or place to discuss such things
>>
File: 1441596767965.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441596767965.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
I dont think that you are on the right mindset OP.

None of the Endless carry "negative aspects", its kind of the point.

Not related, but I would like to see Delirium interacting with Joker or Harley.
>>
>>93402014
How despair can't be anything but negative?
Unless you enjoy despairing?
Or death? Or destruction
>>
>>93402026
*can
>>
>>93402026
Destruction is just entropy, that leads to life and change itself. Its necessary.

Despair is also among the most empathic Endless.

Sometimes things that we hate a necessary for our existence and well being.
>>
>>93402026
>>93402064
Sorry, I might not have been clear.
What I am trying to say is that all the aspects of the Endless are neutral, not good or bad in itself, and the endless themselves have many facets, but each one of them is necessary.
>>
>>93401970
I was going to throw in my two cents earlier but it didn't seem worth it and I got busy.

>>93401033
>When you feel bad, you try to understand why do you feel bad
Funny you should say, because that's what I always suspected is what happened.

I figured she tried to make everyone happy, and it didn't work. Then she tried to figure out why and so
>>93400923
>once Delight became aware of her place and seen the disastrous results on her positivism, she consciously became a negative aspect, just like her siblings - Delirium.
But not consciously, just sort of as a consequence of realizing that you can't make everyone happy, which makes her existence a paradox since Gaiman implies all the other Endless can apply to things you wouldn't think they should. Even Suns and things that aren't standard lifeforms appear to dream, desire and despair through their souls, everything dies and can be destroyed, everything has a fate and technically yes everything has the potential to be delighted but not everything is or ends up at that point (i.e. those who are dying would likely also cross despair and desire in some sense).

I figure similar to Dream, Destruction and Death but contrast to Desire, Despair, and Destiny she decided to look into the nature of this anomaly to understand herself. Somewhere along the way she became literally delirious, finding happiness in the saddest places (see Death's many encounters, or for a more warped version the Corinthian) and sadness even where one should be happy (I don't think I need to give an example there), and sometimes a chaotic blend of both. That's where she remained because it better mirrored the nature of existence and in time herself from what she'd come to learn about the bizarre nature of what delight really entails in all its forms.
>>
>>93402064
>Destruction is just entropy, that leads to life and change itself. Its necessary.
Destruction for the sake of destruction is not necessary. However, if the result of the destruction is creation, then yeah.

>>93402096
I disagree, and let me also explain.
Death in itself is not a good thing, but life, as a RESULT of Death is a good thing. If there is no result, than it's not good.
>>
>>93402101
>But not consciously,
I sort of assumed that, because there are moments, when she can be deadly serious, and scary.

>Somewhere along the way she became literally delirious, finding happiness in the saddest places
>That's where she remained because it better mirrored the nature of existence
Pretty good point, it does make me think.
I did forget that she also was a mirror of all the living things and their "inner happiness" (if we can call it that way)
>>
And yeah, if we look closer
Destiny>Death>Dream>Despair>Destruction>Desire
more or less co-operate, flow from one to another, but Delight just doesn't fit, especially that it contradicts Despair for example, she makes Dreaming redundant, and I could argue, Destruction not constructive.

If I think harder, I would probably think of how Delight makes the jobs of other Endless harder, and futile.
>>
File: b78b7c808f3d44abe6e9169138fdd20d.jpg (270KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
b78b7c808f3d44abe6e9169138fdd20d.jpg
270KB, 752x1063px
The way I read Sandman the Endless were kind of broken when Dream went missing and weren't really doing what they were supposed to be doing. The two that held it most together and were still talking to each other were Destruction and Delight. Delight apparently couldn't handle the drama in the rest of the family were causing and became Delirium. Destruction let her take his doggo to look after her and she went off on a quest to bring everyone back together, but out of her head, Hunter S. Thompson style so she kind of forgot what she was doing.

To be frank Destruction and Delight are the only two of those mopey fuckers I'd want to hang with. 10/10 personifications of whatevers. Would have beers with.
>>
>>93402268
This is another aspect of the story, because when we observe the evolution of the characters, as well as the story itself, it seems to be about the capability to change.

In the end Morpheus was incapable of it, therefore the concept was given a different point of view, without changing the core.

Delirium seems to have a different function than Delight, though.
>>
>>93402106
>Death in itself is not a good thing
So I think that you missed the point of many stories and even Death of the Endless.

I recomend for you to read again the story with Elemental Woman, and Death s own book.
>>
>>93402440
An easy cop-out would be to say "Exception makes the rule".

Anyway, most people prefer living. But if we talk about Elemental Woman specifically, she hated being who she was, she didn't want Death, as much as she wanted Elemental Woman to die.

Now, ask yourself, would she still want to die, if there was a cure for her condition?

Most people want to live, until they give up, and don't see a way to improve it.
>>
>>93402499
>An easy cop-out would be to say "Exception makes the rule".
Man, the entire character of Death is basicaly a big "NIGGA, YOU SHOULDNT FEAR DEATH, SHE IS YOUR FRIEND." What happened when death stopped taking people away on her own story?
>>
>>93402541
No no, that's not what I mean.

My point is that when we think of Death, we concentrate on the usual, negative aspects that come with it. You are not wrong, it's just that I wanted to simplify certain things in order to show the contrast between the Endless.

The character, yes. But if we want to talk about the character, we have to point out that she did change of millennia, from being a stuck-up bitch, to a lively person. She evolved.
>>
>>93402541
I think that anon's point is that as you find yourself doing you have to find reference points for death, he's saying if something just dies then you cannot say that alone was good.

I wouldn't try to attribute a simple moral or value system of Good/Bad to the endless though. The fact they're linked to myriad existences makes it virtually impossible to really account for how good or bad any of their concepts are.

I know "it's all so mysterious" is a bit of a cop out, but I think the real entire point of all of the Endless is in fact that they're far too complex to simplify and yet they also represent at the same time the simplicity of complex things.
>>
>>93402628
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Good / Bad is not the same as Positive / Negative. Obviously the Endless are neither villains nor heroes, they are tools. They do their jobs, even if these jobs aren't nice
>>
>>93402628
>>93402602

>he's saying if something just dies then you cannot say that alone was good.

I get it, but the point of the story where she stopped taking lifes was exactly to show that death is necessary. Not just because of life itself, but because an universe without death cannot work, and it caused pain and suffering to multiple beings to the point that she had to go back and do her job. You are looking for the small picture, when you should look at it from a bigger perspective. Death is good, even if you fear it, because the alternative is worse, and its not like there isnt entire worlds after death.

Endless domains are more akin to forces of nature than to "good or bad".
>>
>>93402703
>I get it, but the point of the story where she stopped taking lifes was exactly to show that death is necessary.
Yes, and I even wrote about it here>>93400877
and here >>93400914

>You are looking for the small picture
Correct, because Delight was the youngest, the least experienced, and (no pun intended) the smallest among the Endless.

And yes, you and I, we know that in the grand scheme of things, Death is necessary. But for an irrelevant human being character, who has own motivations, Desires, and Dreams, Death might not be a gift that said human being wants.
>>
Speaking of Elemental Woman, see how beautifully The Endless were being used.

She Desired to be normal again. She Despaired because she couldn't. She Dreamed she could. She Destroyed things as the result of her anger. She were slowly going insane (Delirium) from sadness, and as a result she decided that her Destiny is to Die and nothing else.

Now, I can't imagine how Delight would fit here, in this particular situation.
>>
>>93402926
She had Delight seeing RĂ¡, and dying.
>>
>>93402926
She seemed to delight when Death and Ra absolved her of her condition, apparently the experience was divine.
>>
>>93402953
>>93402960
Clever. Didn't think of that. Maybe I was wrong.
>>
Speaking of... would it be possible if Delight still existed, separately from Delirium?
>>
I may be misremembering, but wasn't it HEAVILY implied that Delight's change into Delirium had something to do with Desire being her/his usual fuckwad self?

It's not exactly unknown for Desire to manipulate and attempt to hurt the rest of the Endless.
>>
>>93400848
Didn't she evolve with the state of humanity?

When people were largely dumb apes she was Delight, but when they started wisening up and understanding that the world was shit, people die and grasping things like toiling for food and diseases were a thing she became Delirium?
>>
Something is telling this will be useful on Hypercrisis threads, Thanks anon.
>>
>>93402268
Except I think Destruction leaving and whatever happened to Delight occurred WELL before Dream got ensnared (which was only about 50 years before the main events of Sandman).
>>
File: endless.jpg (243KB, 960x737px) Image search: [Google]
endless.jpg
243KB, 960x737px
>>
>>93405246
Delirium is the best
>>
so midicholorians are all really dark side and dark side is the true nature of the force?
>>
>>93402268
>>93405155
Yes, Destruction left while they were all wearing colonial fashions. He was already gone when Dream was abducted, and she was already Delirium when Destruction left.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.