[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, which was the better movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: Guardians of the Galaxy.png (238KB, 540x313px) Image search: [Google]
Guardians of the Galaxy.png
238KB, 540x313px
Now that the dust has settled, which was the better movie?
>>
>>93400265
The first. The stakes seemed higher because of the Infinity Stone and it was helped by my still being amazed the movie was even made in the first place. Also, I don't care how cute Mantis was she was wasted potential personified.
>>
>>93400351
The comedy was funnier too

Drax especially. Not saying Drax wasn't funny in the sequel, but it's like, after the first one, they said "hey, people like Drax as a comedic figure, so let's write him as a clown!"

He was funny because he was deadpan and literal minded. Having him laughing like an idiot and cracking jokes all the time spoiled it

On the plus side, at least Yondu and Rocket were both better this time around than they were in the first movie.
>>
>>93400265
Being biased, I liked the second one for the worldbuilding lore. The laughs helped too
>>
>>93400265
I liked the 1st one better

The 2nd movie felt like the producers just looked at what made the 1st successful, then focused on entirely that.
>hey people like that quill is a man stuck in the past
>okay, lets shove tons of neon lights and more 80s references !!
>>
2 is the patrician choice.
>>
>>93400351
>the stakes were higher
I never felt that while watching the first film. I knew what an infinite stone was but I also knew things in the MCU tend to be gimped in some fashion compared to their comic counterparts, and giving what was probably the least threatening villain in the MCU a magic rock just wasn't cutting it for me.

Now a Celestial that is poised to wipe out all life in the universe and even gets the act started so we can see the destruction he's causing rather than the mere promise of something with more to come? 10/10 much better than Ronan.

Better ending too.
>>
>>93400265

Volume 2. The split structure let the groups of characters breathe better, the villain had actual presence in the story and slower pace let the emotional bets land.

The first one was fine but unexceptional. The sequel really felt like a huge leap in quality.
>>
>>93400265
First one.
>>
Volume 2.

I felt there was more character rounding to it and better focused scenes...the humor is amped up, but the other emotional beats being handled better offset that for me.
>>
>>93400265
I preferred the first because the sheer creativity feels incredibly fresh for the first time but that kinda wears off in the second. The second is better for Rocket and I like the villain more. Both are really good tbqh.
>>
One is better for normies because the concept is unexpected and novel even if the plot itself is weak and the story structure is mediocre.

Two is a stronger film because even if the jokes aren't as good/fresh it is far more unique and has better characters/interpretations of the old characters aside from maybe Drax.
>>
>>93400265
>>
File: 1497274544668.jpg (45KB, 370x262px) Image search: [Google]
1497274544668.jpg
45KB, 370x262px
>>93400265
i can't decide. they both feel like their own movie wth comicbook characters. i like them both so very much. i'd marathon them respectively
>>
>vol. 2
>more quips
>even more cliche soundtrack
I'll take the one that wasn't so tryhard.
>>
>>93400265
Both are surprisingly different films.

1 is a more consistent, tighter film that aside from a couple jokes that cross the line into being a little too quirky, never really falters.

2 is more ambitious and heartfelt film, but it suffers from some compromises to jam it all within its already extended run time. You have characters who just straight up say their motivations out of nowhere, baby Groot is fucking awful, etc., but it reaches much higher highs than 1 ever does.

Personally, I think I prefer 2.
>>
Vol 1 was surprisingly great and fresh as far as capeshit movies go. I thought it was generally funnier than 2.

Vol 2 has a better plot, isn't centered on an infinity stone, doesn't have a generic "grr bad" villain, has better character dynamics, and was a better movie thematically. Baby Groot and Drax were tiresome though, and Gamora continued to feel like a pointless inclusion.

Overall Vol 2 was better, but not by much.
>>
>>93400768
Gamora is a MUUUUUUUUUCH better character in 2
>>
>>93400265
Hard to say for me. Vol.2 has a much weaker beginning than the first one but manages to have a way stronger ending. The start of Vol 2 felt like Age of Ultron to me where they were pretty much rehashing all the stuff people raved about in the last movie, but unlike Age of Ultron they managed to rise above it and tell a very interesting story.
>>
>>93400783
That's true, but the plot with her and Nebula was such a side story. It ties in to the core theme of the movie, but unlike the other plots it doesn't do so while tying into the main plot. Every time those two are focused on it seemed disconnected to the rest of the movie. I'm not saying Gamora didn't do things in the main plot (she was the one concerned about Ego after all), I'm talking about when the movie actually focused on her.
>>
>>93400734
Same.
>>
>>93400265
the first easily, I don't think 2 had the same heart the first did.
I also much prefer the Space Opera of 1 to whatever 2 was.
>>
Unquestionably Vol. 2, imo. Mantis's existence seemed a bit convenient, but it still had better pacing, better layout of character development, and no stupid dance-off shenanigans to hand-wave the finale.

That conversation between Yondu and Rocket was fantastic.
>>
>>93400265
They both sucked. Looking forward to the Valerian movie.
>>
>>93400448
I agree senpai. the first had gay comic shit compared to the 2nd not having as much crossover stuff
>>
I honestly wish 2 was a third film or something so that Yondu could have been better established as Peter's surrogate father. In the first we really only learn that Yondu has a soft spot for Peter. If there was more building of that relationship in the first or if there was another film in-between for that to happen I think Yondus death would of had more impact.
>>
>>93401241
i felt it just because someone actually died in a marvel movie
>>
>>93401274
>yfw the bowed to test screening pressure and didn't kill Rhodes in CW
grow a pair Disney
>>
>>93401378
>>yfw the bowed to test screening pressure and didn't kill Rhodes in CW
What the fuck. The Rossos say that they wanted to cripple Rhodes because they wanted him to become his own hero rather than being Stark's side kick. There was never any plan to kill War Machine and it is a good thing you weren't in charge.
>>
The first but the second wasn't that worse. They had the quality of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back but in reverse order.
>>
>>93401448
you might be right, I can't find a source for that claim. I may have been some bait I fell for.
I hope they treat Rhodes' well
>>
2 was better. But it could have achieved real greatness if Ego didn't devolve into a caricature of an evil immortal.

Did anyone else think about Baby Groot? The first Groot really must have died, since Baby Groot doesn't seem to remember any of his 'past'.
>>
>>93400265
I don't care much for the Guardians movies, but I preferred the first one. Comedy and characters were not as obnoxious and I thought the use of music was much better.
>>
>>93401274
>that little cheek pat
all my tears
>>
>>93400265
I prefer 2. The acting is getter in some cases, it has a much better villain, and the ton of character development Rocket and Yondu got pleased me. I liked Nebula a lot better than Gamora and wish she could replace Gamora in the Guardians.
>>
>>93400265
GOTG2 was flanderized to death.
>>
I preferred 2, but it does not work as a standalone movie. It must be confusing as hell for anyone who hasn't seen 1.
>>
>>93402098
If by flanderized you mean "They took what people liked in the first movie and did it more" then sure. They also added a much better villain and a ton of character development, so can live with that.
>>
First one was a 6.5/10, second one a 4.5/10
>>
Vol 2 had characters just kinda of blurt out their motivations
It also had a few more misses in the jokes that I remembered, but It has been longer since I watched the first.
But it did have better individual scenes. The Arrow escape from the ship was fucking awesome. I really liked the opening scene, with Grootbdancing through the monster fight because of how fun it was. It knew it was action, but the real meat of the movie is character and humour. Plus it shows them being mercanry, which could be easily forgotten by trying to make them too heroic.
>>
>>93400265

I prefer one, because the fight scene between Ego and Peter felt really out of place at the end of Vol. 2. I also felt the fight scene between Wondy and Ares was out of place in Wonder Woman, so maybe it's just me.
>>
>>93401763
Apparently Gunn confirmed that wasn't Groot, just a spawn.

>>93402098
yup
>>
>>93402213
They didn't do more, they did TOO MUCH.
>>
>>93400746
I agree that Vol 2 quips were a bit too much, but I'm not sure how you could say the soundtrack was more cliche. The Vol 2 soundtrack had way more obscure, deep cut songs with some exceptions. The first movie had a great soundtrack but most of them were pretty well known and more popular hits at the time they were released.
>>
The fact that nobody can agree proves that both are great movies.
>>
>>93400265
It's hard for me to choose. The 2nd one had a much better villain, but it also went way overboard with the jokes to the point where it was jarring. The 1st one handled the humor much better without making a complete mockery of its world, but Ronan was one of the blandest villains in the entire MCU (and that's saying something).
>>
If I had to give them both numerical ratings, I'd say that the first movie is a solid 6.5/10 throughout, while the second movie is at a 4.5/10 for the first thirty minutes, then a definite 8/10 for the rest of it.
>>
I don't get the hate for Ronan, sure his motivations were boring but they managed to make him feel threatening imo.
>kills Thanos' secretary in front of him.
>Gets so pissed at Thanos for hurting his pride he grabs an infinity stone and swears to kill him
>Just won't die in the climax
He even served as a semi foil to Peter. Ronan was far from the DK's Joker but he's far from the worst villain in the MCU.
>>
>>93400265
Vol. 1 is the stronger movie overall, with a nice, tightly paced plot.
Vol. 2 has stronger, more satisfying character arcs and a better emotional through-line.

They're both basically the same average quality, but Vol. 1 stays at one level and holds there for the whole movie, while Vol. 2 swings back and forth between being okay and being really damn good.
>>
IMO, it's Star Wars vs Empire. That may seem like a cheap comparison but the first movie is a breezy adventure centered on the plot while the second is an excuse to explore the characters on what's basically a side adventure outside of continuing some character drama threads from the first.
>>
>>93400265
>Now that the dust has settled, which was the better movie?
The second one. The first one doesn't hold up really well but the comedy in the second is really good
>>
>>93405874
>He even served as a semi foil to Peter.
I just wish he had gotten some proper ass-kickings from Gamora or Drax, since those two have more of a connection to Ronan than Peter did. All they did to defeat Ronan was help Peter control the Infinity Stone's power long enough to make Ronan fucking explode.
>>
the first one by far, the second one was far too quippy and it undermined any potential drama (aside from Yondu's death)
>>
>>93401125
My only beef with vol 2 is the beginning jokes (especially the ripe fruit one) and the pac-man. Quill should have transformed into a giant version of Yondu's arrow
>>
File: this_is_an_extreme_thirst.png (289KB, 534x468px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_an_extreme_thirst.png
289KB, 534x468px
thirsty thirsty
>>
>>93406635
But that was the whole point. The Guardians are a bunch of low-mid-level characters fighting an unstoppable monster. Ronan was tough as shit before the stone, with it he was practically a god.
>>
>>93406835
I disagree. "Volume 2" didn't have more jokes, but its gags were stretched out rather than being rapid-fire like most of the humor in the first movie. And I don't think they undermined any of the dramatic beats.
>>
>>93407687
The scene with baby groot being sent to get the item (forgotten what it was) to open the cage was torture
>>
>>93403250
So he is NOT Groot
>>
>>93407507
I guess. I'm just a fan of narrative justice and it didn't feel like Ronan's death fulfilled anything other than the broad-stroke "total asshole gets destroyed" comeuppance.
>>
>>93406964
Damn, that would've been great actually.
>>
>>93408606
Eh, that's the Guardians' shtick. They're mortals in a field of gods, the A-holes that barely scrape through by the skin of their teeth.
>>
>>93400265
I dunno.
I felt the comedy was superior in 1 but the drama and cinematography was better in 2.

I feel they are both good on their own merits, but if I haaaad to choose one, I'd probably say 1 was the more solid product overall. Mostly because I felt there were more moments in 2 that felt like they were forcing in comedy where it didn't really work.
>>
>>93400934

I kinda thought it was because Gamora and Nebula were children abducted by an evil alien father figure, who wanted them to further his own ideas, and would control and manipulate them if he had to, not tolerating betrayal.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.