[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Wonder Woman really need that sword and shield?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: wonder-woman.png (526KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-woman.png
526KB, 1000x563px
I used to read a few WW comics back in the day and she rarely used any weapons other than her body and lasso.

I think DC would want Diana to use weapons to make her more unique, and not just another Superman archetype. She's a warrior. She wasn't RAISED ON A FARM!

What does /Co/ think?
>>
>>93385782
I think the sword and shield are pretty fucking stupid, due to the frequent insistence of focusing on the warrior aspect, even though that misses the point of who she actually is. They also tend to overshadow the Lasso of Truth and the bracers, in favor of a more generic image over her iconic tools. And don't even get me started on how DC has a history of trying to force Diana into the role of a bloodthirsty pragmatist, even though she is extremely ill-fitted for such a role given that she is literally a diplomat. Like, that's her actual, official job, she's Themyscira's official ambassador. You'd think they'd play that up, but that's not action-y enough, I guess.

However, I can understand why the sword and shield are a thing. Most pressing is to make her come off as less a female Superman, which she isn't in the first place, but whatever. Again, to emphasize the warrior thing which, again, I feel is a mistake. But also because swords are cool, I guess. Obviously, I don't agree with these reasons, but I get it.
>>
Sword + shield seemed to only start being a thing Post-Crisis, but even then, they weren't her constant accessories. They were her "shit's going to go down" weapons. Like, analogous to when Batman shows up with a huge monster tank instead of the regular batmobile, or Spider-Man is wearing his Spider-armour or something.

Seems to be only relatively recently that "Wonder Woman is Xena" has kinda been a thing. I don't think she even constantly had weapons other than the bracelets and lasso in the Simone run.
>>
>>93386128
>Comes from a society of warriors, was raised as a warrior, her job is literally to be a warrior for justice
>SHE'S NOT A WARRIOR YOU GUYS!
>>
>>93385782
>>93386128
>>93386419
She was raised to fight by Greek Amazonians, you autist. Of course she'd use a sword and shield.
>>
>>93386128
>She's a diplomat.

True, but making the peace with Ares isn't exactly her MO. The best way of negotiating a peace treaty was killing Ares. Renenber, Ares was posing as that government toolbag who pushed for the peace treaty. I think Wonder Woman will become the ambassador in her next film. Patty Jenkins said that she wants to bring Diana to America for the sequel.
>>
The sword is dumb as fuck, all her symbolism and whatnot is about trying all peaceful stuff first which is why her weapons are the lasso and gauntlets and a shield. if she uses a sword is should be a tool and not like a Thing like her other gear

but gotta have that stabby action

Maybe the best shot of the movie was the sword getting destroyed
>>
>>93385782
Well, no one would believe she could punch out someone with those noodle arms. :^)
>>
Her mother told her the sword and shield were needed to kill Ares, so she took them.
Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>93386454
>she's a warrior, therefore everything about her MUST be related to being a warrior
It's faggots like you who ruined klingons. They used to have dignity before TNG made them into ridiculous caricatures. Fuck right off.
>>
>>93386488
DC Amazons aren't mythical Amazons you double autist.
>>
>>93386488
I AM NOT AN AUTIST!

I have ADHD.
>>
File: wondy sword.jpg (13KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wondy sword.jpg
13KB, 500x500px
>>93385782
Its toyetic
>>
>>93385782
Hippolyta or Artemis wielding other weapons is fine, but Diana should roll with the Lasso and Bracelets, with the occasional Tiara-rang.
>>
>>93386128
This.

It's actually an extremely recent trend, like the last ten years.

If you don't know anything at all about Wonder Woman and you look at a picture of her, it's not clear immediately what sets her apart. Of course, if you actually read her comics it quickly becomes apparent. But the sword and shield are meant to communicate quickly and easily what's different about her from Superman and Batman.

It's dumb, but it makes sense from a marketing standpoint, I guess.

>>93386454
>Comes from a society of warriors, was raised as a warrior
That's not true you absolute retard. The Amazons aren't a warrior society despite what misinformed dummies keep spouting. Not all Amazons are warriors any more than all Americans are soldiers. There are scientists, philosophers, artisans, senators, architects, chefs, doctors, clerics, smiths, miners, woodworkers, farmers, and on and on and on just like any other society.

They take pride in their combat prowess, but the whole reason they were banished to Themyscira is because they took TOO MUCH pride in their military and battle.

Themyscira is a utopian society, not a warrior society.

One of the things I actually really liked about the movie was that they didn't try to act like Themyscira was an island of warriors. Diana had to actively choose to be taught the martial arts, it wasn't just a thing that all Amazons were automatically inducted into.
>>
>>93386533
>They used to have dignity before TNG made them into ridiculous caricatures.

No they didn't. Before TNG they where generic bad guys
>>
>>93386599
Fuck the coolest looking toy sword is for girls that's not fair.
>>
>>93387416
Well it's not pink and purple and the character is posed all daintily. I'm sure it's okay to buy it
>>
>>93386684

In silhouette, Superman obviously looks more like Batman than Wonder Woman. They have and lose tights at the same time. They have capes of the same length, they have boots of the same length, they both have little gold belts. The only things that really divide them to the color blind are the cowl and the gloves.

Wonder Woman looks nothing like them, or any other female A lister.
>>
>>93386488
To do what? Does she really need a sword to stop bank robbers? Does she cut their heads off?
>>
>>93387416
How is it for girls? It's for everyone.
>>
>>93388926
No one's talking about looks. We're talking about what their purposes as heroes are.

Idiot.
>>
>>93385782

Well in the context of the movie it makes perfect sense, she is going to war.

I would assume for everyday heroics (if we ever get to that point) she'd shelve the weapons due to their lethality.

Honestly I would prefer her go to to be Lasso + Bracelets and use Sword and Shield for OG villains, alien invasions etc.
>>
>>93385782
Not in the comics, but in the movies it make her look more. distinctive from the others, specially superman and aquaman. It's her battle mode just like batman has a mech suit and aquaman a royal armor. It's OK, turn off your autism
>>
>>93390996
This is what Snyder wanted. I hope is not changed. batman, aquaman, and cyborg all have a normal mode and a battle mode, of course its just about toys, but it's a good thing. I WOULD BET MY ASS VIRGINITY that flash battlemode is his lightning changing of color.
>>
>>93388926

But in a fight, they do different things. Without her sword and shield, Wonderwoman mostly jumps/flies about and punches/grapples stuff with super strength, pretty much like a weaker version of Superman.

The sword and shield lets her be the "weapons person" to differentiate her from Superman's super powered brawling and Batman's stealth/gadget/ninja stuff.
>>
>>93392065
This guy gets it, it's not an empty "IT'S COOL" thing, it's about it works on the movie
>>
>>93386684
You didn't pay attention to the movie. All the Amazons were warriors. Diana wasn't because her mother was afraid of her being the godkiller.
>>
>>93386530

This. She only had them because she thought she had to use them. The moment they failed she ditched them
>>
>>93393779
YOU didn't pay attention. Never is it even implied that the whole island is warriors. There was a specific army but there were other professions too.
Hell, we are introduced to young Diana by a teacher yelling for her, not a warrior woman.
>>
I was glad she lost the shild and sword in the movie before the final fight. And then she started doing a lightshow with the lasso and that was way more stupid and I was sad.
>>
>>93392065
I always kind of thought of Wonder Woman's fighting style as a mix of Batman's and Superman's.

Like Batman, she's a martial artist. Though they have mastered different kinds of martial arts, fighting technique is still important to them.

And, like Superman, she's a tank. Super strength, speed, flight, etc. Superman is kinda just a brawler, doesn't have much need for formal fighting skills because a punch from him does the job (ignoring "he learned Kryptonian martial arts" or "Batman taught him how to fight when he was depowered" shit).

I've always thought that Batman would look upon Wondering Woman with admiration and respect, seeing her in battle. Like, "that power, that skill, she knows what she's doing."
>>
This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I don't think it merits its own thread, so I'm putting it here.

The nature of Diana's bracelets and shield… it seems she doesn't necessarily have to make direct contact with the projectile to be able to deflect it, correct? It's more like, they also give her a protective aura? I mean, she can't just stand there, her defensive weapons still have to be somewhere near the attack, but it doesn't have to be exact, right?

Because in both movies, she deflects attacks that have surface areas larger that her shield or gauntlets (somehow manages to protect Batman from Doomsday's huge-ass blast with her shield, deflects a lot of Ares' attacks with her bracelets, etc).

But then when it comes to normal bullets, she always seems to directly deflect them.

So, like… what exactly are the principles behind this?
>>
>>93385782

Hell no.

Swords and shields ARE accurate to some of the Greek warriors but it's not really traditional for Wonder Woman.

I wouldn't object to their use on occasion, but not as every day tools she takes for every situation, which is how it's being use in the comics and definitely the movie.

One thing I thought the movie did really well was show the use of the lasso as a tool. Unlike the comics and some of the animated versions, the movie didn't really use the tiara as a weapon or tool and that's something they should rectify in the sequel or team up movies.
>>
>>93385782
No. They only gave it to her because they think the lasso is stupid, which is why it's hardly used any more.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.