[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Marvel intentionally sabotage themselves? They have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 21

File: thor-ragnarok-1_marvel.jpg (88KB, 650x373px) Image search: [Google]
thor-ragnarok-1_marvel.jpg
88KB, 650x373px
Why does Marvel intentionally sabotage themselves?
They have the ability to make good movies, but they CHOOSE to ruin them with
>WE'RE FRIENDS FROM WORK !!!1111!1!!!!11

Why?
>>
>>93298075
$$$
>>
>>93298075
>American Gladiators 2017
>>
>>93298075
"Comedy" is easy to write.
>>
>>93298075

Still a better line than "Martha!"
>>
>>93298240
Is it though?
The argument that Martha is bad is that it's tension deflating, right?
Well, that's my problem with the excessive unfunny jokes in the MCU. They deflate tension.
>>
it's better than "Do you bleed?"
>>
>>93298268
You'd have to have tension to be able to deflate it.
>>
>>93298075

It's gonna be fine. They're letting Chris Hemsworth flex his comedy muscles, and they're going to still do lots of action.

It's almost like... it's a comic book!
>>
>>93298286
I don't see the issue with this line at all.
Batman is asking an alien if he can be wounded like a human.
>>
>>93298240
>>93298286
Nice tears, bro.

>>93298312
Filtered.
>>
>>93298075
What else were you expecting him to say?
>>
I dunno, I thought that bit in the trailer was great, the crowd goes wild as hulk makes the scene, Grandmaster and Loki both have this shut eating grin like they're about to watch Thor shit himself as the sight of a jade giant. Instead he happily yells with a big smile on his face, whole crowd goes deathly silent, even Grandmaster looks taken aback. Thor then explains they know each other.

I liked it.
>>
>>93298286
"SAVE...MARTHA"
>>
File: 1473630119968.jpg (25KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1473630119968.jpg
25KB, 600x451px
>>93298075
I am starting to believe that the taste of the avarage 4chan user is worse than the avarage normalfag.
>>
>>93298075
Still a better scene that Lex urinating in someone's cup and passing it off as tea and having them drink it.
>>
>>93298268
>The argument that Martha is bad is that it's tension deflating, right?
It's tension deflating because it's an incredibly stupid idea exectuted terribly, and unintentionally hilarious. At least the jokes in MCU movies are intentional.

Also I've only seen one movie of Waititi's but he seems to be pretty good at having dramatic moments hit despite his movies having comedic moments.
>>
>>93298075
It's a movie based on a comic book. Have you read comic books? There are quips and moments of levity all the time. And fuck even with all the jokes critics and audiences still prefer the MCU. Must really piss you off, anon.
>>
>>93298332
I think something less obnoxious like him staying nervous but trying to make Hulk remember him.
Making him say that stupid line just ruins any dynamic like that, since he forgot to be afraid just to make a quip.
>>
>>93298329
>tears

Of laughter anon.

>"MARTHAAAA"

Lmao
>>
>>93298312
>>93298371
>it's a comic book
I don't think it is though.
Most cape comics (especially THOR) are closer in tone to Wonder Woman than they are Gunn's Guardians.
>>
>>93298381
>Making him say that stupid line just ruins any dynamic like

The hell are you talking about? Any reactions and friends, and general mood online seem to have loved that. Are you that lone bitter fag in the classroom who cries when everybody is having a good time?
>>
>>93298333
see
>>93298381
>>
>>93298075
i dont remember this season of american gladiators
>>
>>93298409
?
I'm not voicing a consensus opinion, i'm voicing my opinion.
>>
>>93298360
>it's an incredibly stupid idea
Batman seeing Superman as human for the first time?
>>
>>93298381
But he's not fucking nervous. He sees someone he was on a superhero team with for over a year. It'd be like if you were captured and pitted in gladiatorial death matches then your final opponent turned out to be one of your friends from college.
>>
>>93298433
Don't even try. I don't understand why the Martha scene was ridiculed. Still.
Most explanations seem to be along the lines of it somehow being funny?
>>
>>93298381
The dude is stranded and trapped on an unknown planet. He finally sees his friend who is literally acting no different from before(Hulk is angry and smashing).

Why the fuck would he be nervous at all?
>>
>>93298404
No, anon. Even then WW and Marvel comics in general have moments of comedy and levity. Thor definitely does.
>>
>>93298437
>But he's not fucking nervous.
But Hulk clearly doesn't recognize Thor.
>>
>>93298268

Partially maybe. To me it was dumb because Martha was supposed to be the common ground that brings Batman and Superman together as a team. Snyder apparently didn't think they would naturally get along when they both try to save the city from Doomsday. So instead we get these shoehorned flashbacks clusterfucking the film to justify the Martha line. And it just doesn't come off as clever as Snyder imagined
>>
>>93298433
>Batman seeing Superman as human for the first time?
Even if you reason it like that, yes.
>>
>>93298470
Yes, moments of levity *when appropriate*. They would not choose to deflate a potential dramatic moment. They would save jokes for places like Diana's fish out of water scenes.

It's like if Diana called Ludendorff a silly name just for big laffs.
>>
>>93298240
>bitching about nothing
That scene was fine.
>>
>>93298461
It was ridiculed because like the rest of the movie of it was dumb superficial shit that Snyder and Snyderfags tried to play off as 2deep4u.
>>
>>93298469
>Why the fuck would he be nervous at all?
see
>>93298473
>>
>>93298268
No, that is not the argument against it. the argument against it is that it makes no sense on multiple levels, and is impossible to take seriously in the moment, it is immersion-breakingly clumsy and stupid.
>>
>>93298479
>>93298500
I don't know guys. I just thought it was an effective scene.
I think i'm the real winner here, since I have a piece of media to enjoy that you choose not to.
>>
>>93298514
see
>>93298523
>>
>>93298481
I disagree.
>>
that line from the trailer doesn't bother me but his crappy mace and helmet does. Is the helmet made of syrofrom? and I swear that mace is just a metal pipe and metal bits tied on with metal wire,JUST
>>
>>93298075
1. It's true
2. It's funny
>>
>>93298473
Thor clearly doesn't realize that at first.
>>93298498
They're different situations. The tonal shift is unexpected and therefore comedic but also sells the fact that Thor has been trapped in a strange planet and now finally sees a friend. It's desperation.
>>
>>93298523
I enjoyed BvS tremendously. It was hilarious.
>>
>>93298075
>sabotage
How many hugely successful blockbusters has Marvel had now? In a row? I have honestly lost count.
>>
>>93298558
>Thor clearly doesn't realize that at first.
Only because they decided to throw in a quip.
The scene has more potential as a dramatic one.
>>
>>93298479
No, it's supposed to be the moment Batman realizes Superman values a single human life more than his own, that he's not an unfeeling alien.
>>
>>93298565
That seems like a soul poisoning mindset honestly.
>>
>>93298523
>choose
Having good taste and recognizing bad filmmaking isn't a choice.
>>
>>93298588
But, it is. It's only subjectively bad.
See how this works?
>>
>>93298473
>>93298473
Clearly? Watch the trailer again. Hulk busts out doing his usual thing and Thor is happy. Then when Thor realizes Hulk wants to fight he changes his tune.
>>
>>93298579
Anon it's the most viewed trailer in YouTube history and the joke was the big moment of the trailer everyone talked about. You are wrong. It's effective.
>>
>>93298601
>Hulk busts out doing his usual thing
...at Thor.
Hulk has eyes you retard.
>>
>>93298607
>You are wrong.
I don't think being in the minority=objectively wrong.
At most, i'm out of touch with the current zeitgeist.
>>
>>93298583
You're literally retarded if you think this. Scene wouldn't have been in the movie if Batman and Superman didn't both have moms named Martha.
>>
>>93298075

>Comic book movie has comedy just like the comic book
>THIS COMPLETELY RUINS THE COMIC BOOK MOVIE

Oh good, it's this thread again.

I genuinely think people underestimate the prevalence of a new phenomenon, called 'banter', and how it affects society. People aren't always going to act rationally, except not Thor. Besides, if he starts panicking now, it'd completely remove tension from an actual situation where he has to panic.

Let's be honest, if you were trapped as a slave in a gladitorial arena, you'd be pretty fucking pleased if a) your friend is your opponent, b) you have no reason to believe your friend would actually beat you up and c) your friend can probably bust you out there, and roflstomp all opposition on the way.
>>
>>93298585
What? Laughter is pretty good. I'm not going to be miserable watching an unintentionally silly movie, I enjoy silly things.
>>
>>93298646
>>Comic book movie has comedy just like the comic book
see
>>93298404
>>
>>93298651
>an unintentionally silly movie
This is the part that makes me think you are ill.
I enjoy the movie on the level that it was created to be enjoyed at.
The fact that you can only enjoy it by imagining yourself better than it is disturbing.
>>
>>93298351
Not exactly, they're just terrible in different ways.
>>
>>93298579
Yeah they really blew their "For your consideration"...moment for the Oscars there by not making it dramatic.
>>
The scene was cut for a trailer. The actual context and comedic timing aren't going to be the same in the film.

Shit, Guardians had entire scenes in the trailers that weren't in the film at all.
>>
Because it's directed by someone who makes comedy moves.
>>
>>93298708
?
I think drama stays with a person longer than a situational joke.
>>
>>93298597
No, it's pretty objective. It was panned by critics and fans alike. Only people who like the idea of Superman and Batman liked it, and even then it didn't get it right, people have to say "Superman is hopeful in the comics" to justify his brooding in the movie.
>>
>>93298610
>He doesn't understand the Hulk

Good lord you're a fucking casual.
>>
File: mittermeyer3.png (415KB, 637x479px) Image search: [Google]
mittermeyer3.png
415KB, 637x479px
>>93298674
>laughing at dumb movies is ill and disturbing
>>
>>93298075
I really liked that joke. I like innocent optimism.
>>
>>93298729
>No, it's pretty objective.
this isn't supported by this-
>It was panned by critics and fans alike
1/4 of critics didn't pan it, and the audience score is at 63%.

Care to try again?
>>
>>93298745
>at dumb movies
This is your issue.

>>93298747
You say innocent optimism, I say company trying to make a profit.
>>
>>93298075
People expect at least one humorous quip every 10 minutes.
>>
>>93298674
Trying to go with personal attacks and accusations of fucking mental illness doesn't make your "wow you haave to think you're better than others huh?" point strong.
>>
>>93298646
>>93298656

>see post which points out the comic book movie, based on a comic book is in fact NOT, because some arcs of Thor are slightly darker

And some arcs are stupidly cheesy. Have you not seen that one spiderman comic, where communist hydra gets formed, with their own versions of the Avengers? Thor and fake Thor's actions can safely be described as non-serious.

Besides, the series has gone cosmic, putting it closer in tone to Guardians, and if you don't have equal amounts of humor (dark or otherwise) for your cynicism in a movie, it's not cynicism at all, it's just depression.
>>
>>93298780
>This is your issue.
It's the movie's issue anon.
>>
>>93298789
Doesn't it?
At least you're admitting that both my and his lines of logic are pretentious (since they are both about supremacy to something someone else takes at face value. In his case BvS, in mine, his attitude.)
>>
>>93298755
And yet again, suddenly a single site matters more than the collective. Even if it did, 64% isn't good and like you said, the majority of critics on the site say its not good. It's less opinion and more Snyder being a bad film maker.
I really don't need to defend myself, you did a good job doing it for me.
>>
>Thor actually talked like you would kind of expect a God to speak
>now he's basically a Guardians of the Galaxy extra

Why. Not every character has to be a light heartened joke machine.
>>
>>93298813
I disagree.
>>
>>93298610
He smashed through a fucking door. Hulk didn't realize who he was about to fight any more than Thor did.
>>
>>93298851
>it's less opinion and more Snyder being a bad film maker.
>I really don't need to defend myself, you did a good job doing it for me.

But I just proved that that opinion isn't shared by everyone, even all reviewers.

This is not a hard concept to grasp, anon.
>>
>>93298075
>They have the ability to make good movies
do they? i've yet to see any evidence of that
>>
>>93298854
Guess you didn't see the shorts.
>>
>>93298854
this
>>93298871
Iron Man 1 is the only good MCU movie so far, but that proves that they can.
>>
>>93298867
But when the majority of critics agree it's a bad movie it's not a matter of opinion whether or not the movie was good or not. It's an objective fact that more people think it's a bad movie.
>>
>>93298728
Not really hence why some of the most memorable lines in pop culture are from comedies than drama
>>
>>93298728
not in the context of a teaser for a superhero movie, i think
>>
>>93298895
>But when the majority of critics agree it's a bad movie it's not a matter of opinion whether or not the movie was good or not.
This doesn't make sense.
It clearly is a matter of opinion, or 27% percent of critics wouldn't have different one.
>>
File: retardsfix.png (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
retardsfix.png
42KB, 1280x720px
>>93298404
>Most cape comics (especially THOR) are closer in tone to Wonder Woman than they are Gunn's Guardians.
>>
File: ugh.png (119KB, 421x404px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
119KB, 421x404px
>>93298900
>I am your father
>>
File: Archer.gif (2MB, 289x268px) Image search: [Google]
Archer.gif
2MB, 289x268px
>>93298940
>Well, nobody's perfect

Are you done?
>>
>>93298075
I thought it was funny.
>>
>>93298980
>>Well, nobody's perfect
I honestly don't know where that's from, so no.
i'll raise you

>KHHHAAAAANNNNNN
>>
>>93298940
>Look's like we're not in Kansas anymore
>D'oh
>Don't cross the streams!
>What's Up Doc?

I can do this all day
>>
>>93298995
>I honestly don't know where that's from
Then thatr's your problem also
>quoting Star Trek of all things

Yeah because that's something that's well-known among people on the streets let alone a movie that's not nearly as celebrated or popular outside the fanbase.
>>
File: trollfeedingdumbasses.gif (5KB, 437x275px) Image search: [Google]
trollfeedingdumbasses.gif
5KB, 437x275px
Seriously guys? Are you really this easy to bait?
>>
>>93298995
>I honestly don't know where that's from,
>Doesn't know where the most famous and quotable final line in a movie comes from
https://youtu.be/CYUfPTeE0DM?t=59
millennial detected
>>
>>93298268
Martha is bad because it confused normies. "Wait they're brothers?!" Then they backtracked into "n-no I got it, it was just bad! That's why I didn't like it!"
>>
>>93298849
Nah, you're just an asshole.
>>
>>93298895
Or perhaps they couldn't enjoy it because it intentionally catered to a different audience then them and not because it was incompetent.

Everyone complaining about bvs being dour or not being fun, that IS NOT A FUCKING FILM MAKING FLAW, Snyder set out to make a dour serious film, they are basing their criticism on criteria that the film never fucking intended to meet.
>>
>>93298075
Because they know it's no use putting effort into a movie since people will watch whatever shit they make.
>>
>>93299156
no it's bad because Superman could have just said, "Batman, Luthor kidnapped my mom and says I have to kill you" and solved a lot of problems with the movie
>>
>>93298240
W H Y D I D Y O U S A Y T H A T N A M E
>>
>>93298381
> Thor
> afraid

Fuck off
>>
>>93299363
An Alien could have a mom, but it probably wouldn't have a human name, plus reporter 101 is that names humanize people more than titles.
>>
>>93299441
Having no fear is the sign of an idiot.
>>
>>93299322
This should be the final word in any BvS discussion, because it's objectively correct.
/co/ confuses distaste for approach with objective failing.
>>
>>93299472

...It's Thor.
>>
File: IMG_2616.png (297KB, 448x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2616.png
297KB, 448x468px
>>93298397
>I'm laughing, can't you tell, I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING REEEEEEEEEE
lmao
>>
>>93298268
The Martha thing was an absurd point played straight and for a dramatic climax, but flopping on its belly.
The Thor meeting Hulk scene is an double upset. Thor reacts in a shockingly different way to what the in-movie audience of the arena expected. But then Hulk reacts much unlike what Thor expects. That amounts to a big laugh from the movie audience, of course. But here it's intentional. And if the joke does not land that is not nearly as bad as having your emotional climax ending with a prolonged brainfart.
>>
>>93298674
If anything, this shows that you are as much of an idiot as Snyder is.
The mental level you have to be on to enjoy his movies is one of dull,uncritical acceptance and enjoyment of pure visual spectacle.
While he acts as though his vague religious imagery is not trite bullshit you find everywhere but the greatest invention since the wheel.
The man couldn't even copy the central conflict of his comic correctly. Which was a shallow take on a moronic philosophical position to begin with, but Snyder managed to not even have that conflict.
It really goes no further than "I don't trust that guy." so he needed to toss in that clown version of Lex to somehow manufacture a kind of conflict.
>>
Because it's fun and fun =$$$
>>
>>93299804
>No fun allowed in MY capeshit
>>
>>93299322
But the movie was not critically panned for being too clever. It was panned for being badly edited to the point of being confusing because it skimped out on the absolute basics of film making. Like, watch any in-depth criticism and you will find that serious critics found the shit editing more infuriating than the comically bad plot.
>>
>>93298075
Considering a large majority liked the trailer and that bit in particular I think they'll be fine
>>
>>93298148
>11,758 TRILLION

yeah, this
>>
>>93298780
Jesus what is your problem?
>>
>>93298854
In that universe he's an alien
>>
They need to make the movie somehow appeal to sub-normal intelligent people.

I cringe with despair whenever someone who has only seen these movies act like they know what they're talking about regarding the characters and treat these films like they are a valid source of information on characters.
>>
>>93298268
The problem with "Martha" is that it's a ridiculous and convoluted way to end the fight, and the entire movie bends over backwards to accommodate it, with Thomas Wayne's last words and all. It's just lame.

Thor finding Hulk isn't supposed to be tense. He thought some serious shit was about to go down but then things shifted in his favor, and naturally, he was pretty psyched.

It's like context means nothing to you people, not when there's humor involved.
>>
>>93298268
>Is it though?
Yes. Holy shit, yes.
>>
>Why is a comic book movie campy?

Did you prefer an obsuce reference at a bible verse Howard?
>>
They're called comic books, not drama books.
>>
>why does Marvel sabotage itself
>all the movies are massive commercial successes
????
>>
File: 1465208847475.jpg (45KB, 274x348px) Image search: [Google]
1465208847475.jpg
45KB, 274x348px
>/co/ understands and articulates exactly how wrong OP is
I'm so proud of you guys.
>>
>>93298855
BvS was trash
>>
File: BvS.jpg (159KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
BvS.jpg
159KB, 950x534px
>>93298075
So it's either
>Superhero film with jokes
or
>Grimdark superhero film with "MUH deep 2smart4u symbolism"

Take your pick
>>
>>93298075
Because it works and it makes them tons of cash.

>>93298268

No, the argument is that it's really fucking stupid. Not only does he say "Martha", triggering Batman, but Lois Lane has to show up and say "it's his mother's name". It would have made a million times more sense for Lois to try to shield Superman.
>>
>>93300753
But none of that has happened in this thread. Go pat your friends' backs at reddit.
>>
>>93300879
>o-o-oh yeah well, y-you're reddit
>>
>>93298523
If I know how to cook a perfect steak, and I come round to your house and you serve me a piece of overcooked cheap steak with ketchup on it, am I choosing not to enjoy that steak because I'm familiar with much better? Good for you if you're happy swallowing that shit, but don't be so dense as to think you're better than me because you don't know your cooking sucks.
>>
>>93300879
>But none of that has happened in this thread

The post directly above you does so quite nicely I think.
>>
>>93298643
You're literally retarded if you didn't get that instantly when you saw the movie the first time. Don't worry, it's okay that a Snyder movie was 2deep for you.
>>
>>93301000
>It's a "basement dwelling manchild has never left his abode so he makes terrible food analogies because he has no experience with life" episode
>>
>>93298895
Jesus christ
>>
>>93301000
>boasts of good taste
>argues about comic book flicks

lel can you imagine
>>
>>93300776
>Because it works and it makes them tons of cash.
minus having succes outside the box office.

nobody knows who Stephen Strange is despite the guy having a movie
>>
>>93301665
>nobody knows who Stephen Strange
Haha, you say it based on what?

All my normalfag friends know who the guy is now. Seriously, what are you using to base this affirmation?
>>
File: bd8.png (235KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
bd8.png
235KB, 1190x906px
>>93298404
you have never read a comic book have you?
>>
>>93298780
>You say innocent optimism, I say company trying to make a profit.
you say that like any blockbuster films aim isn't just that.
>>
>>93298326
Thank you observant 5 year old
>>
File: 45621162567247.jpg (77KB, 1544x800px) Image search: [Google]
45621162567247.jpg
77KB, 1544x800px
>>93299035
>Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
>Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
>I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse
>Bond. James Bond
>I shall never go hungry again
>You can't handle the truth!
>You're gonna need a bigger boat
>I'll be back
>I see dead people
>Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer
>Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape
>I'm the king of the world!

I can do it all day too and even longer
>>
>>93298404
Dude, did you not see the full-on Kirbygasm they had going on behind Jeff Goldblum? They're fully embracing silver age sillyness for this.
>>
>>93298461
I think the issue is how dependant the plot was to it. "Well, what are the fucking chances!" shouldn't be your saving grace
>>
>>93298461
Because for that to hinge as the only reason Bruce doesn't kill Superman is beyond contrite and demands that you accept this as Adam West Batman level narrative, however the film played itself way to dark and serious for that scene to work. It's piss poor writing that shouldn't have gotten that far where either the tone needed to be lighten a lot or a rework of that second act. It's not the worse scene in that garbage pile of a film but the scene captivates everything that is wrong with the film in a very short time.
>>
>>93298579
They have Jeff Goldblum as a main villain. You know this.
You are expecting a serious dramatic tone from a movie that has Jeff "Chaos Theory" Goldblum as one of the main villains. The fuck is wrong with you?

Plus it's a movie about a space god who hits monsters with an electric mallet. Sometimes things don't have to be 100% serious to be cool and fun, anon.
>>
>>93298333
>Grandmaster and Loki both have this shut eating grin like they're about to watch Thor shit himself as the sight of a jade giant.

But doesn't Loki already know who the Hulk is? I mean, how do you forget this?
>>
>>93298610
Those eyes don't have x-ray vision. He was behind a door. Howthefuck do you read into it that much to justify your hate for a throwaway quip and just blindly ignore the fact doors exist.
>>
>>93302421
It's a film trailer cut up to make that scene for all we know those reactions from Loki are about different scenes, in the film, much like how everyone thought the Tony vision at the start of the first AoU trailer was late ending scene battle because of how it panned to Ultron.
>>
>>93302421
Loki likely did a whammy on Hulk so that's why he thinks its funny that either one will beat the other to death.

Grandmaster is there to watch the blood sport.
>>
>>93298656
Because there's only one type of comic book. Why are you here?
>>
>>93298780
Who hurt you?
>>
>>93301989
>I can do this all day
>>
File: 23-Chris-Evans.jpg (51KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
23-Chris-Evans.jpg
51KB, 600x599px
>>93302555
>>
>>93298268
But the line Thor says doesn't really diffuse tension, because we here are all aware that Hulk is all too happy to beat Thor's face in.
>>
>>93298075
Action comedies have broader appeal than straight action apparently. Every Disney action movie is a comedy nowadays. Look at TFA.
>>
>>93300879
>Reddit boogeyman

Go back to /tv/ faggot
>>
>>93302555
>>93302570
fun trivia the phrase was restaurant kitchen related term where the Chief was stating they could at least make 3 times(Morning, noon and evening) worth of a certain food "I can do fillets all day" "I can do three beef tenderloin all day" and so on where the phrase just meme into a statement meaning you could handled doing something morning, noon and evening.
>>
>>93298268
What? No. The argument with "Save Martha" is that it's written in in an illogical hackish way, it's a stupid plot contrivance to get Superman and Batman to stop fighting, and moreover, it sounds unintentionally ridiculous with the slow motion and Batman pressing his foot against Superman's neck. The whole movie hinges around this really unintentionally goofy and stupid plot point in a way that immediately lodges it in a person's mind.
>>
>>93298473
Uhh Hulk absolutely recognizes him, why do you think he gets that fucking grin?
>>
File: 1437441744788.jpg (39KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1437441744788.jpg
39KB, 400x400px
>>93299382
>>
>>93298404
This. To those saying that he's wrong, most "good" comics can have dramatic moments without needing to break tension with a shitty joke. This poster is correct, and everyone disagreeing with him has obviously never read a comic before the MCU began.
>>
>>93298075
>comic book character says cheesey things
are you for real?
>>
>>93298240
Not really.
>>
>>93298075

ONE SHALL STAND....ONE SHALL FA...

ups! wrong movie!
>>
File: THAT NAME.png (119KB, 984x1771px) Image search: [Google]
THAT NAME.png
119KB, 984x1771px
>>
>>93298075
They ruined the scene, It would be fucking awesome if he yelled YEEEESSS simply because he wanted to fight Hulk.
>>
>>93298171
i feel like you have no actual experience in comedic writing but that is just my guess.
>>
File: 1418928262478.png (166KB, 364x417px) Image search: [Google]
1418928262478.png
166KB, 364x417px
>>93298268
That's the point. There's not supposed to be a high level of tension, you're watching a superhero movie, not a fucking suspense movie.

Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.
>>
>>93298075
because each one of their movies generates enough profit to buy a 3rd world country?
>>
>>93298075

because marvel films have become the Movie equivalent of Call of Duty is to video games. Its casual bullshit. You remember when Call of Duty 2 was amazing and call of duty 4 was actually a good fucking game? then Modern Warfare 2 came out and everything went to shit and now there is call fof duty modern fuckfair 34 and whatever else is out now?

thats the marvel movies.. thats what happened.
>>
Mainstream American audiences for some reason need EVERYTHING to be quippy and ultra-comical over the last few years, I'm not sure why.

I know asians at least are taken aback by how much humor is in American movies now.

Marvel is taking it a step further, simply adding in nonsense phrases but telling the audience to laugh. the orange slices "joke" from civil war is just the beginning
>>
Every comicbook movie now needs:

>Literally 2 jokes per minute
>80s music
>Neon lights

it's fucking bizarre
>>
>>93303575
>the orange slices "joke" from civil war is just the beginning
Odd I would've thought "shawarma" was the "beginning"
>>
>>93303633
The shwarma joke still had context, they wanted to eat it. The orange slices joke made no sense and requires "research" to understand. There are lots of conflicting theories as to what it means but apparently in the US some kids eat orange slices after sports games.
>>
>>93303686
>The orange slices joke made no sense and requires "research" to understand.

Not if you're from America, which is where the movie and all of its characters were made...
>>
>>93303686
>There are lots of conflicting theories as to what it means

No, there fucking aren't. You just stated the reason.
>>
>>93298075

Dude, the last two Thor movies were okay but sort of dull fillers for the upcoming Avenger movies. At least this one looks like it has some spark and character to it, and I'm glad they at least scraped something out of the failed Planet Hulk project.
>>
So are people who post these things just too stupid to realize that Thor actually likes getting into bloody fistfights with his friends?

Especially ones where he could lose since that makes it fun as opposed to making one of the warriors three slap himself repeatedly.
>>
>>93298075
It's because the United Stares movie industry follows a very specific Corman/Bay movie making ideology because casuals eat it up. To break it down simply, without sounding like the pretentious film school drop out that I am.

Action, lots of it, jump scares with the action is a bonus.
Have sexy heroes and herorines.
Make the antagonist more interesting than the protagonist.
Have lots of comedy beats.
Hold the audiences hand. Do not leave theme questioning things. Make sure everything is spelled out for them.
If the audience is engaged they won't question plot holes and such.
Throw in some emotion, but don't let it take away the visuals since filmy is a visual medium.

Rodgers Corman created this film style, Bay and others continue you, especially Marvel directors. It's playing it safe, because those types of movies make money.
>>
File: CIA GUY.jpg (25KB, 343x357px) Image search: [Google]
CIA GUY.jpg
25KB, 343x357px
>>93304082
>especially Marvel directors.
This is exactly the Nolan/Snyder Formula, except the comedy is unintentional.
But do continue.
>>
File: 1457812081049.jpg (220KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1457812081049.jpg
220KB, 1440x810px
>>93298523
>I think i'm the real winner here, since I like eating shit while you're all stuck eating food.
>>
>>93304082
>Hold the audiences hand. Do not leave theme questioning things. Make sure everything is spelled out for them.

>Batman's origin is recounted in BvS, even though everyone over the age of 5 is incredibly familiar with it.
>The movie flashes back to his parent's murder AGAIN just in case the audience isn't getting the "clever" analogy.

Jor-El's hologram explains the death of Krypton on-screen even though the audience has spent the first half hour of the movie experiencing the whole story.

The DCEU is film-making for mouth-breathers.
>>
>>93304156
I never said it was not. However, the heroes were overly gloomy and dark with no balance.
The antagonist was horrible.
The comedy beats were lame.
There was not enough engagement to ignore the plot holes.
the plot itself was horrible.
Dialogue was just bad, again nothing done (comedy or action) well to excuse poor dialogue.
Action was Meh.

You still have to do those things well, Snyder did not. Need me to continue somega more?
>>
>>93303614
Neon is a part of the 80s aesthetic.
I'm going to assume that the use of the aesthetic is a result of its use in GOTG and its subsequent success, as well as the trend in 80s/90s cultural nostalgia that's permeating America in general.
>>
For all we know the "friend from work" line won't even be in the actual movie. That seems to be a trend with capeshit, to have dialog that is only in the trailers.
>>
>>93304295
>I'm going to assume that the use of the aesthetic is a result of its use in GOTG and its subsequent success, as well as the trend in 80s/90s cultural nostalgia that's permeating America in general.
Actually the more likely reason is they wanted to reference He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
>>
>>93304156
No one on 4chan understands the danger of unintentional bathos.
>>
>>93304314
yeah it could be like "UNDEROOS" where it was only in the trailer
>>
>>93304536
That line was in the movie though.
>>
>>93303405
>Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.
Sup joss
>>
>>93305186
I swear when I see posts like this I have to think that you haven't actually seen any movies that didn't feature a superhero.

Comic relief has been around for a long time.
>>
>>93303405
BvS did have some lighthearted stuff, though. Mainly involving Alfred and Batman. Also, the weird, jokey Lex Luthor.
>>
>>93298075
they are friends from work, though, figuratively speaking. even from a practical perspective not comedic it makes sense, so hows it a bad line exactly?
>>
>>93302421
Blunt force trauma
>>
File: IMG_1361.jpg (759KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.jpg
759KB, 600x600px
>>93303321
but he's right. jokes, quips, and general wacky antics are all really easy to write, actually being funny what's hard.
>>
>>93304707
Isn't that the question of the day...
>>
File: this post.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
this post.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>93301989
>I can do it all day too
Because it took you all day to respond also
>Bond. James Bond
>I'll be back
These aren't from dramas either.
>>
>>93298075
i really loved that line
whats wrong with it?
i found it funny, and it shows that thor is just happy to find his friend
>>
>>93310301
/co/ is against anything in their funnybook films that makes them seem like the silly mass entertainment that they are.
>>
>>93300609
>It's like context means nothing to you people, not when there's humor involved.
Dance off bro made that evident.
Thread posts: 201
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.