[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mandates From SEGA To Archie Comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 32

File: Sonic Live.jpg (142KB, 484x750px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Live.jpg
142KB, 484x750px
>As per the legal settlement of the case, new and increased mandates from Sega Incorporated were put into effect in any and all Sonic the Hedgehog related contents, including (but not limited to) games, television series, films, toys and even comic books. For Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic series specifically, as relevant to the legal case, the following mandates in effect are (but not possibly limited to) as follows:

>Sega-specific original characters are not permitted familial relationships unless already established (like Cream the Rabbit and Vanilla the Rabbit) with some limited exceptions (eg. Charles Hedgehog). ACP-exclusive characters (Sally, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine) are permitted however.
>Use of Ken Penders characters or any of his content from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave are forbidden (although settlement grants ACP legal use of his creations under limited conditions, reasons for not doing so are not disclosed to the public by either ACP or Sega Inc. as of this time).
>Content from certain games are not permissible:
>>Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.
>>All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
>Replacing said characters with post-incarnations however, is permissible. (eg. Maximillian Acorn → Nigel Acorn).
>>
File: Sonic1.jpg (117KB, 479x750px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic1.jpg
117KB, 479x750px
>Archie Comics Publishing are forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega Incorporated.

>ACP is forbidden to using the character Doctor Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega Incorporated.

>Sonic's home planet is no longer permitted to be referred to as “Mobius”, be it Light, Dark, Prime or otherwise.

>Only one Metal Sonic is permitted for appearance but no multiples.

>With the exception of the character Nicole allowing effected characters to remember the previous universe, these memories are forced to 'fade' and be rendered irrelevant.

>Character depicitions such as Classic Sonic, Classic Tails, Classic Eggman or any other classic depictions of Sega's characters are not permitted unless permission is given directly from Sega Incorporated. (However some ACP publications have shown scenes of the 'Classic' characters in shadows, silhouettes or bare resemblance to them in flashbacks). With the 25th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise however, this mandate appears to have been lifted.

>Sonic is not allowed to “lose”. He can be 'put down' and experience hardship but is not allowed to completely 'fail'.

>Main and/or significant characters are forbidden in forming intimate or love-relationships. ACP-exclusive characters are permitted however (Bunnie and Antoine) but not with Sega's characters (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn).

>Original Sega characters are to conform, stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None are allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context.

>Sega-exclusive characters cannot be "killed-off", whilst Archie-exclusive characters are not mentioned in this mandate, it remains unclear whether this rule may apply to them also.
>>
File: sonic emotions.png (50KB, 398x206px) Image search: [Google]
sonic emotions.png
50KB, 398x206px
>Sonic and Sega-exclusive characters are not allowed to show excessive emotion.
>>
File: Ken_Penders.jpg (28KB, 300x387px) Image search: [Google]
Ken_Penders.jpg
28KB, 300x387px
*blocks your character copyright*
>>
Ah, that's a good idea for a fading brand from a failing company. Place extremely stringent and suffocating rules in place to insure nothing creative or good will ever materialize from it.
>>
>>93252588
Blame the faggot above you for those mandates. Not that the comic character were any good to begin with.
>>
>>93252588
>I don't know shit but I'm going to pretend like I do
>>
>>93252588
But if there's any company that can do bland, basic storytelling with everything staying status quo, it's the Archies guys.
>>
>>93252497
>ACP is forbidden to using the character Doctor Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega Incorporated.

This one strikes me as particularly weird. Not that I give a shit about Eggman Nega anyway, but what possible reason is there for this, exactly?
>>
>>93252453
>>Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.
Wait. Why is he banned? Did someone try and sue him?
>>
>>93252764
I guess they don't want the character being reinterpreted, but should they ever want Archie to do some promotional shit for another Rush game they'd give the go ahead.
>>
>>93252724

That's exactly how I would describe the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. Bland.
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497
All these mandates...

Well, I think I should be glad at least for have the two Mega Man crossovers and the Sonic Unleashed adaptation.
>>
>>93252764
I remember that stupid rule. It's because they haven't settled on whether he's from Blaze's world or Silver's future. They're dragging their feet with this guy and I have no idea why

>>93252782
I think because Black Doom is dead

>>93252825
Yeah, Penders fucked it pretty hard for everyone
>>
File: Sonic_Boom_CWC_Arms.png (311KB, 512x958px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Boom_CWC_Arms.png
311KB, 512x958px
>>93252453
>>93252497
I've never read any Sonic comics, but this seems like a pretty shitty move on SEGA's part. If I've learned anything from my many years on the internet, Sonic fans will protest this enough to the point where SEGA will loosen up on these rules. I expect something like pic related to happen except (somehow) even more autistic and on a much grander scale.
>>
>>93252917
We've had those rules ever since the reboot. After the colossal fuck up of a case that was Archie v Penders, Sega came down hard on Archie
>>
Why not just make a brand new Sonic comic book series instead?! Start fresh.
>>
>>93252985
Archie Sonic fans:
>"BU- BUT THE LORE!"
>>
>>93252497
>Archie Comics Publishing are forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X
So...we will never see Topaz again? I can understand Sega wanting to distance themselves from Underground and the movie, but they hate X already?

>Original Sega characters are to conform, stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None are allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context.
Welp, looks like they will never go into space, since they aren't allowed to wear spacesuits. Gonna need a magical mcguffin or submarine anytime they need to go underwater now, since wetsuits just got banned. Parties will be pretty lame, since everyone who wears a uniform will still be in uniform. Will characters be forced to sleep in their clothes? So much what the fuck here.

If anything this will just give a strong incentive to minimize the appearances and use of Sega's characters and make the most out of the few characters they own or inherited from Hurst. After all, why write about characters that can never lose or have any relations with anyone when you don't have to?
>>
File: KrijxYhh.jpg (28KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
KrijxYhh.jpg
28KB, 500x281px
>>93252453
>>93252497
>>93252523

FUUUUUUUCK! Just sell the damn rights to IDW already!

Also fuck Ken Penders
>>
>>93252917
We've had those rules for a long time. Sega just killed the book a couple months ago anyway.

I dont know why you think Sega listens to the fans because fans are the one group Sega outright ignores- the last decade of Sonic games should prove that.
>>
>>93252497
>Archie Comics Publishing are forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega Incorporated
>Forbidden to reference Sonic Underground

Damn, I was still hoping for the Sonic Universe issue that was supposedly a final episode for Underground.
>>
>>93252985
Why not reboot DC and Marvel? Start fresh.
>>
>>93252453
So wait, I thought Sonic the Hedgehog comic was cancelled by Archie/Sega? Is it still on going?
>>
>>93252453
So..what about Megadrive?
>>
>>93253262
>>93253299
Yeah, the comic will continue or not?
>>
>>93253157

They... have done that. They have done it several times.
>>
>>93252985
That's what they should do. Hard reboot and remove all the non-game content. Basically make it Mega Drive with a few original locations
>>
File: i just don't care anymore.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
i just don't care anymore.png
35KB, 625x626px
>>93253157
>Why not reboot DC and Marvel? Start fresh.
>rebooting two entire companies with God knows how many separate universes vs. rebooting a standalone series
Besides, the Sonic comic soft-rebooted itself already, and I'd say it was for the better. Preboot Archie Sonic was a mess compared to its source material. Compared to other comic universes it was pretty tame, but holy fuck comic!Sonic was bloated. And keep in mind that there's plenty of Sonic fans that resent any character introduced after 1994.

>>93253262
There hasn't been an official "It's dead" press release or anything, but there haven't been any new solicits either. It might as well be dead though.
>>
>>93253417
> Hard reboot and remove all the non-game content

I'm sure that will last all of five issues just using characters they can't develop in any meaningful way. The soft reboot was doing fine
>>
This is what happened when it didn't stop at issue 50.
>>
>>93253479
It got way too bloated, are you kidding me. OC after OC after OC nobody had a reason to care about. It really says something when the most liked comic in years was the one with just the game cast that looked like the genesis games. Just make Mega Drive the main series
>>
>>93253494
Endgame was fucking trash anyways. I don't know where this meme came from that it's good, but it's not, not even for the comic's standards
>>
>>93253427
>plenty
You misspelled "vocal minority".
>>
>>93252764
It's like >>93252851 said. The Rush and Rivals games went back and forth as to whether or not Nega was from another dimension (Rush) or the future (Rivals). Izuka's final word is that he's from the future, but Sega's just been sorting of dodging the issue (they did it in Rivals by ensuring that the characters who know his Rush origin never realize he's masquerading as Eggman in Rivals)
>>
>>93253509
this
mega drive was a good read, didn't feel autistic at all
>>
>>93253509
Ok, enjoy your five issues because comics like that only last in short bursts. And giving Eggman a couple of minions to yell at does not make the comic bloated
>>
File: 1497414449693.png (1MB, 1379x767px) Image search: [Google]
1497414449693.png
1MB, 1379x767px
>>93253573
In my defense, the Sonic fandom is innumerable "vocal minorities" quarreling against each other just like every other fandom, so any given faction could be considered "plenty".

>>93253479
If the game series could have 25 years' worth of antagonists, it can have 25 years' worth of comics using only the game characters.
>>
>>93253668
You can have the couple minions, they're called Orbot and Cubot. You don't need to have a big epic comic with a billion characters to be fun
>>93253699
>If the game series could have 25 years' worth of antagonists, it can have 25 years' worth of comics using only the game characters.
This. Hell you can even revive some.

"Deep lore" and non-game shit is the worst thing to happen to Sonic, it doesn't need it
>>
>>93253509
>>93253660
>>93253699
That was pretty much Ian's obsession with world building. Even then, there were not only OCs but also reinterpreations of characters from the other media such as the DIC shows.
The problem with making the comic like Mega Drive is that there's only so far you can take that premise, whereas all the post-reboot world needed to do was calm down with the world building so they can tell simpler stories.

>If the game series could have 25 years' worth of antagonists, it can have 25 years' worth of comics using only the game characters.
Assuming Sega doesn't allow them to use them like they're doing with Black Doom and Eggman Nega.
>>
>>93253771
Well you didn't need to have all those characters. You didn't even need all the forgotten game characters. Just take all the ones people know about and you have a comic
>>
>>93253157

they do that like every other year
>>
>>93253118
IDW would have to follow these exact same mandates.
>>
>>93253820
The problem is, you can't really do much with so little characters. Mega Man had OCs too, but didn't have as many because the world was much larger and there were Robot Masters for practically everything (and that's without counting the later sub-series like the X series). A Mario comic could be big because you have all these subseries (the Mario series, the Donkey Kong series, the Wario series, the RPGs) that there's a high chance you can fufil a role or create a world easily.
What does Sonic have that won't leave the comic stale after they rehash Mega Drive for the tenth time?
>>
>>93252558
You're in the club and this guy walks up and slaps your IP's ass. What do you do?
>>
>>93253052
There were a bunch of faggots on /sthg/ that cited this as a reason for not wanting a hard reboot.

>>93253479
We don't need some shitty lore or development. Fuck off with that. We can keep doing a fun comic with a following on the games, and there's lots to pick from with Classic Sonic alone.
>>
>>93253955
>We don't need some shitty lore or development. Fuck off with that. We can keep doing a fun comic with a following on the games, and there's lots to pick from with Classic Sonic alone.
This. Besides, Sonic went to shit once it started focusing on lore instead of having it merely be implied in the background and in manuals nobody fucking read. You don't need much more in the games other than "Here's Eggman, he's an asshole, beat him up"

Sonic characters don't need ot develop. They're simple 1 note caricatures made for kids. That's like asking Bugs Bunny to undergo deep character development
>>
>>93253699
>>93253724

Two of the fucking mandates are don't use Black Doom or Nega Eggman, so good luck using characters you're probably not even allowed to touch

>>93253955
>>93253820
>>93253724

> You don't need to have a big epic comic with a billion characters to be fun
First of all, the cast has been largely reduced since the reboot. Second, have fun making a comic last 25 years using only a small cast of characters you can't develop unless Sega gives the ok, which they won't
>>
>>93253944
Shoving it into the nearest closet.
Rape him with a rusty rake
Kill him
Use his corpse to feed some street dogs

*not necessarily in that order
**i dont care if it makes no sense, dude makes no sense either.
>>
>>93253916
There's degrees of Sonic comic autism between "SONIC AND EGGMAN ONLY, NO SHITTY FRIENDS, FINAL DESTINATION" and Ken Penders' work. Like I said above, there's 25+ years of games and characters to use as source material. You don't even have to use one-off characters like Erazor Djinn or Black Doom as core villains; one-off comics are always an option.
>>
>>93253990
Once again, if you played the games, there are plenty of characters to use, and I mentioned Classic Sonic for a reason. The Fighters cast? The Chaotix? Ray? Even NiGHTS could be tied in with Christmas NiGHTS. You don't give a shit about the games, it seems.
>>
File: 1494521909244.png (51KB, 168x207px) Image search: [Google]
1494521909244.png
51KB, 168x207px
>>93252497
>Sonic is not allowed to “lose”. He can be 'put down' and experience hardship but is not allowed to completely 'fail'.
Jusst fuck my comic up
>>
File: classicDerp2ReturnOfTheDerp.png (358KB, 716x403px) Image search: [Google]
classicDerp2ReturnOfTheDerp.png
358KB, 716x403px
>>93253990
So out of the numerous villains (just the villains) the series has had, only three of them are unavailable, and only one of them has appeared in more than one game. And Black Doom was tacked on to Shadow's established backstory, so he could be removed without much issue.
>>
>>93252497
>Sonic's home planet is no longer permitted to be referred to as “Mobius”, be it Light, Dark, Prime or otherwise.

Good.
>>
>>93254097
But that's what the post-reboot comic was doing: It was making use of Sonic's friends and Sonic universe even gave them their own story arcs (Team Treasure Tango, Team Dark helping Knuckles and Amy find the remaining Master Emerald shards), and some of the ocs/characters were pretty much workarounds (Black Death and Eclipse representing the Black Arms from Shadow The Hedgehog).
The comic had OCs but, compared to the pre-reboot, it became much more skewered towards the games.
>>
>>93254214
*Pirate Plunder Panic. Team Treasure Tango was a pre-Reboot arc.
>>
>>93252453
So basically Sega wants the Sonic comics to be more like the standard 90s comic-based-on-a-kids-cartoon comics. Understandable but I'm sure the old SatAM crowd will be pissed.
>>

Bwahahaha!!
Even the Sega mandates are autistic,
>>
File: 1447790814724.png (678KB, 1360x623px) Image search: [Google]
1447790814724.png
678KB, 1360x623px
>>93254214
And that was fine. My point is that you can pare the cast down to only the game characters like >>93253955 and still get some mileage out of it. Whether it's necessary or not is beyond me.
>>
File: 1481238792640.jpg (25KB, 448x412px) Image search: [Google]
1481238792640.jpg
25KB, 448x412px
>>93254236

Holy cow, what if we are going to see a retro-style Sonic comic like how we are getting a 90s retro-style Sonic game in two months?
>>
>>93254125
If you read the comics, you'd know the comics was already using those characters a lot post-reboot, minus Nights which is not happening unless Sega gives explicit permission

>>93254179
Three that Sega has bothered to mention so far. Expecting the comics to just run on the games is ridiculous. I wish I had still had post of Ian listing which Eggman vehicles that Sega said he wasn't even allowed to use. And you want to make long running comic using such restrictions combined with the fact that those characters can't even be developed past their game appearances?
>>
>>93254283
It's funny since Sonic failing is the premise of Sega's latest game.
>>
>>93254298
But if the post-reboot world was fine, why get rid of the OCs anyway? As I mentioned before, there are hundreds of robot masters, but even then the Mega Man comic created a few OCs to explore themes or potential plot points that wouldn't be possible with just the established cast. By the same token, there are probably plot lines that the OCs can provide that just isn't possible with just the main cast.
And for people advocating for a Classic Sonic stories, you do know that it was only recently that Sega lightened up on that, right?
>>
>>93254386
This is a new comic, with someone competent as the publisher. The characters already used can be the core cast. That's also not counting the badniks and so on. Each zone can be a locale. It's not ridiculous, it's exactly what needs to happen, unless you actually like those wastes of space.
>>
These mandates are so strict because Sega doesn't have a close relationship with Archie, mostly because Sega had no input in it's universe. You can see with all the stuff Boom is allowed to get away that Archie can't.
>>
I've never read any Sonic, but I've been watching this shitstorm blow for the past few years.
What the fuck did Penders do? I get that he was a writer who was fond of OCs, but that's it.
>>
File: The Pendering In A Nutshell.png (18KB, 963x417px) Image search: [Google]
The Pendering In A Nutshell.png
18KB, 963x417px
>>93254495
>>
>>93254495
He got pissy that Sonic Chronicles used his ideas and threatened to leave Archie, thinking his absence would cause the comic to fail. When it didn't, he decided to sue for the rights to his OC's. The one thing that could have caused this to be a laughingstock easily forgotten became an actual cause for concern when Archie lost their contract in a fire and used a photocopy.

Or >>93254526
>>
>>93254436
Guess what? They still get the same rules. If they listened to you, the comics would last about as long as Mega Man's did
>>
>>93254707
And? That's a problem? What's wrong with fun, short stories that take place within the various zones and follow the games?
>>
So what I'm getting here is Penders is a huge autist
>>
>>93254767
Of course, who the fuck sues for sonic oc's
>>
>>93253157
DC literally just rebooted their Universe like 3 times in the past 5 years.
>>
Just continue the sonic the hedgehog comics with the wacky adventures of sonic the hedgehog.

Bring back big ass robotnick and make it 10× more crack crazy.

Like batshit insane

I would read the hell outta that
>>
File: Visions_of_future.jpg (38KB, 467x356px) Image search: [Google]
Visions_of_future.jpg
38KB, 467x356px
>>93253988
>"Here's Eggman, he's an asshole, beat him up"
And if you allow him be more than an asshole, the number of plots immediately gets squared
>>
File: RCO005.jpg (317KB, 659x1024px) Image search: [Google]
RCO005.jpg
317KB, 659x1024px
>>93254495
He sued Sega because one of their games had characters that were somewhat similar to some characters that he had created in the comic. After leaving Archie, he planned to publish works about the Sonic OCs that he had created while working on the comic. Archie sued him for trying to use these characters, but they were incompetent and ended up having no choice but to settle.

Penders has also kept demanding royalties for comics that feature his characters. Because of this demand and the lawsuit they fucked up, Archie wrote Penders OCs out of the comic so that they wouldn't have to deal with his shit anymore. The guy can keep his characters and do whatever he wants with them; Archie and Sega don't want anything to do with him.

However, the lawsuit happened at a time when the comic had a number of subplots that were revolving around Penders-created OCs, and those subplots were heading towards their climax. So Archie were suddenly forced to remove central characters away right in the middle of the story, and hastily come up with something different. The book's quality suffered a lot, and certain storyarcs never got resolutions. See pic related for an example of how they had to abruptly remove important characters from the comic, and without mentioning their names or showing their faces due to the lawsuit.
>>
>>93253988
Isn't there technically a recent cartoon where characters that are around Bugs Bunny have character development?
>>
>>93254753
It's a business you idiot. The point is to make money
>>
File: 1495829776982.png (156KB, 307x221px) Image search: [Google]
1495829776982.png
156KB, 307x221px
>>93255111
>Shitty plots, awful characters and 'rich' lore make money
Archiefags are the worst.
>>
>>93255111
And you can do that by releasing games-only type stuff that's filled only with stuff casuals would know about
>>
>>93255204
25 years nigga, you tell me
>>
File: 1446381855710.jpg (160KB, 750x1990px) Image search: [Google]
1446381855710.jpg
160KB, 750x1990px
>>93255486
Back then, yeah.
Things change, the stories weren't entertaining, or interesting and sales dropped. You can make comics without long stories or shitty lore. Lack of a better example, the Wind Waker 4koma did it right.
>>
File: 1403743349872.jpg (47KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
1403743349872.jpg
47KB, 531x471px
>>93254969

>ages of build-up for Mighty and his journey to find his sister
>Right after he finds her, the continuity resets

Between SEGA and Archie, the little bastard can't catch a break.
>>
>>93254777
The poor deviantart level bastard who thinks his shit is gold.

Funny as hell that he thinks his space critters will be a success.
>>
>>93254969
i don't really care either way,
but from this discription i side with this Penders guy
it seems to me that those comics are the only reason sonic is still relevant with a rabid online fanbase, cause until sonic boom there hadn't been a cartoon in years and all the sonic games have been absolute garbage ever since they stopped making games for the genesis

so if this dude has been keeping this character alive with his passion for garbage, and sega and archie decide to shit on everything he's created he should try to fuck them out of every penny he can
sega is too arrogant if they think they can keep the bloated corpse of sonic alive by shitting on their biggest fanbase, and by the looks of those mandates for the comic, they are way too concerned with control and not at all concerned with quality
sega deserves their eventual bankruptcy
>>
>>93256010
don't side with penders, he's creatively bankrupt.
>>
>>93256010
>it seems to me that those comics are the only reason sonic is still relevant with a rabid online fanbase
Yes anon, most of the fanbase cares about the comics and not the games. Because that makes sense
>>
>>93256124
Nobody and I mean NOBODY like the games anon.
>>
>>93256010
Go to bed Penders.
>>
>>93252588
>failing company
Sega owns Atlus and thus the money printing machine that is Persona.
>>
>>93256519
Sonic the Persona when
>>
>>93255593
>4 panel comics can be amusing
>so lore and story are always bad
You retarded on purpose or just born that way?
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497
How long ago was this mandated? Black Doom appeared in a flash back when Shadow was getting ready to fight Eclipse and Black Death

Also, are Mephiles and Iblis also prohibited? Haven't seen hide nor hair of him in the comics.
>>
File: 1497593572044.jpg (18KB, 383x336px) Image search: [Google]
1497593572044.jpg
18KB, 383x336px
>>93255486
That was largely because Sega practically forgot they even had a Sonic comic until the Pendering started. And even then, the sales have never been great. The only thing keeping the comic afloat all these years were a niche group of autists who just can't live without their furry waifus.

>>93254388
>He can be 'put down' and experience hardship but is not allowed to completely 'fail'.
>completely 'fail'.
>completely

I think that's the key word you need to focus on here. And he's clearly going to end up saving the day like he always does anyway. This was probably referring to Sonic straight up losing to someone without somehow undoing it. Forces is obviously not that. Besides, they did the exact same thing in Unleashed.

>>93256244
No anon, I'm afraid there are plenty of people who eat up this Modern Sonic boost2win garbage. Especially normalfags. Mania is also appealing to a pretty wide audience. Basically, they wouldn't be making more Sonic games if they didn't sell. I think that alone proves you wrong.
>>
>>93256244
Fuck off Penders

>>93256898
Ian had 06 happen off-panel so even if they're allowed, I'm sure if they would even be used
>>
>>93256954
>And even then, the sales have never been great
not true at all, it's been Archie's best selling comic for most of it's existence
>>
>>93253903
But they wouldn't have to deal with 20 something years of continuity if they started over.
>>
>>93257189
Are we ignoring the Archie reboot that was doing the same thing?
>>
>>93256010
>>93256244

Fuck off Ian we know it's you.
>>
>>93254125

>NiGHTS

Please no. Archie raped him enough already.
>>
>>93252588
They'd rather the comic die than be as mishandled as it was in the past.
>>
>>93252588
>>93258056
Right. While Sonic's pretty much been keeping Archie alive all these years, SEGA couldn't give a shit one way or the other.
>>
File: 295.jpg (197KB, 549x826px) Image search: [Google]
295.jpg
197KB, 549x826px
Speaking of Archie Sonic, this was found yesterday after someone pulled a prank with a fake ad that Archie Sonic was returning on Archie's site.

Turns out this was uploaded somewhere months ago. It was never put out in solicits because of the current delays.
>>
>>93257443
I was never under the impression Ian was big on Penders, but alright.
>>
>>93252782
Because they're ashamed of that game.
>>
>>93252588
I actually think the rules aren't too bad and help make things simpler/better. There are a couple dumb rules, like not much emotion or not showing classic designs, but other than that I agree. It makes me sad Shade will never, ever appear again, though.
>>
Let this be an short, sharp, object lesson in why keeping your paperwork secured and properly filed and archived is VITALLY important to any organization, comic book or otherwise.
>>
File: 1446382352128.jpg (141KB, 750x1911px) Image search: [Google]
1446382352128.jpg
141KB, 750x1911px
>>93256587
Did I say that, Archiefag? I said you don't always need a story or lore. And Sonic is proof it can't work, in the games AND the comic. And yes, four panels with a hit-or-miss joke or visual gag can be funnier than some reference or meme done wrong.
>>
>>93259827
Terrible opinions, all around.

A lengthy, ongoing comic NEEDS lore and story. The first 50 or so comics WERE one-off gags. There comes a point where you need to shelf that and entice readers or they just lose interest.

>And Sonic is proof it can't work, in the games AND the comic.
>A handful of writers trying their hand on a cheap licensed is proof positive Sonic can never have a good story
It's hilarious what passes for proof to you.

>the games
>of which include Lost World, which had zero effort in story and lore, and turned out to be worse trash than even the tryhard edgy era
You just keep talking yourself in deeper.
>>
>>93258386
>the king will never return
I miss scourge
>>
>>93259936
>A lengthy, ongoing comic NEEDS lore and story
It does not.
>The first 50 or so comics WERE one-off gags
And they were funny. That's what the comic should have stuck to.

>the games
>of which include Lost World, which had zero effort in story and lore, and turned out to be worse trash than even the tryhard edgy era
That was the result of the game being flawed design-wise, which is the main concern for Sonic games. Good gameplay and design take priority over some engaging story. In this case, the games aren't the point of this discussion.

You CAN do comics without lore and story, and they can stay fresh for years on-end if the writing and delivery are on-point. Why you insist on defending those shitty Archie OC's is beyond me. Stockholm Syndrome?
>>
>>93260041
>And they were funny.
Agreed.
>That's what the comic should have stuck to.
They wouldn't have gotten half as far as they did, if they had.

>Why you insist on defending those shitty Archie OC's is beyond me.
I think you're lumping my posts in with another poster or something, I haven't said one thing in defense of Archie's original characters. Just that lore is needed.
>>
is this new info? is archie sonic not kill?
>>
>>93260098
>is this new info?
No.
>is archie sonic not kill?
No.
>>
File: Untitled.png (304KB, 850x438px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
304KB, 850x438px
>>93259693

I...need a file cabinet.

>short, sharp lesson

FURMANISM! TAKE A SHOT!
>>
>>93260078
>They wouldn't have gotten half as far as they did, if they had.
How do you know that? I don't think anyone would have cared if the comics stayed the way they were.

>Just that lore is needed.
It's not. Does it bother you that much for things not to recur or characters to remain the same?
>>
>>93252558
Ken Penders did nothing wrong.
>>
>>93260126
Boco will you shut up and not do the posting equivalent of mass littering?
>>
>>93260173

Yes sir...
>>
>>93260153
>I don't think anyone would have cared if the comics stayed the way they were.
Say what you will about Archie, but the comics were constantly in flux. They tried the Bugs Bunny gag approach. They tried to run with the anime craze. They tried furry drama. They went into fucking space.

Yes a lot of it was shit, but they TRIED things. And that's how a comic survives entire decades. Not a cartoon Hedgehog telling Knock Knock jokes issue after issue.
>>
>>93260245
A comic can survive without trying to reinvent the wheel. What works for one comic may not work for another.
>>
>>93260324
Even if the comics had somehow survived until 2000 with pure puns and sight gags, the Sonic Adventure era would have pretty much demanded they attempt storytelling.

The comic, first and foremost, should have been a reflection of the games.
>>
>>93260245
agreed, it's telling that the only gag comics that stay alive for more than a couple years here in the states are the comics for Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, and Disney, and even those have upheavals

also I assume if another company gets the Sonic license they'll probably not have to deal with quite as many restrictions as Archie did, as Archie had those slapped on due to errors on it's part(honestly I bet SEGA had hoped that those restrictions would have made Archie drop the license, instead of continuing on for the better part of a decade afterwards)
>>
>>93260439
>I assume if another company gets the Sonic license they'll probably not have to deal with quite as many restrictions as Archie did
I don't know about that. Sega has been burned, and I would imagine they know to keep a tight leash from day 1. But that's also assuming Sega is smart, and I've been proven wrong about that in the past.
>>
>>93260385
That's what I'm saying. The comics should reflect the games, and Classic Sonic has the Genesis games and the Gamegear games to fall back on. That's a fair chunk of material to go off on until Adventure, and it's just retelling the game's story. Simple. No nonsense like whatever Archie's writers added.
>>
So I wasn't up to speed on the whole Ken Penders stuff, but after watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZVazcO1Gs

It doesn't sound like Penders was the bad guy here. Sega did use his characters in a game without paying him for it.

They should have just paid him and let it go and all that crap wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>93252497

These demands are unreasonable.
>>
>>93260574
They actually aren't.
>>
>>93252588
Most of those rules are so common sense or niche people didn't realize they existed until years later.
>>
Not to take sides in this Penders thing. But is there a company that cares less for its franchises than SEGA?
>>
>>93260655
Konami. EA.
>>
>>93252851
>Yeah, Penders fucked it pretty hard for everyone

More people need to flood his Twitter with hate tweets.
>>
>>93260475
As far as Sega was concerned, they owned the characters. Penders didn't sign the standard work for hire contract and nobody, including himself, saw fit to tell Sega that the material wasn't theirs until years after.
>>
>>93253573

Wasn't trying to spell "Vocal minority", dumbass.
>>
File: h5207fcf8.gif (974KB, 499x341px) Image search: [Google]
h5207fcf8.gif
974KB, 499x341px
>>93260692
>>
>>93260655
Activision.
>>
>>93256954
>The only thing keeping the comic afloat all these years were a niche group of autists who just can't live without their furry waifus.
The majority of sales for everything Sonic has always been kids. The fandom doesn't keep anything going.
>>
>>93252453

They cant even wear disguises to be sneaky?
>>
>>93260692
I would rather Ken languish in obscurity for all his days, honestly. The more infamous he is, the more sales his comic would get, after all.
>>
>>93252523
God, Yardley! is an amazing artist, but the final fits the scene better IMO.

Speaking of Yardley, would anyone want to see some literally never before seen Yardley art?
>>
>>93260472
>I don't know about that. Sega has been burned, and I would imagine they know to keep a tight leash from day 1. But that's also assuming Sega is smart, and I've been proven wrong about that in the past.
honestly at least half of those restrictions are because of how Archie mishandled Sonic before Penders got the boot, while most of the others are for legal reasons, so assumedly a new company having the license would include in their negotiations to obtain it to not have to deal with as many of those restrictions, at least if they expect to make anything more than direct adaptations of the games with no deviations

>>93260475
nah Penders is a talentless douche canoe, like if I found out tomorrow that I had terminal brain cancer and only had a year or two left to live, he'd be near the top of my list of people to shoot(Ike Perlmutter is pretty much the only person higher on the list)

>>93260810
sure
>>
>>93260810
>would anyone want to see some literally never before seen Yardley art?
I take it you commissioned some stuff? Yeah, upload that shit
>>
>>93260603

Yes, they actually are.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (1MB, 1200x1667px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
1MB, 1200x1667px
>>93260858
>>93260856
Okay, let me preface this first, I know you guys have seen this before.

10 years ago in 2007, I asked Mr. Yardley to draw this. it is Sally and Nicole in their then designs...
>>
>>93260920
Trust me it could be much much worst. SEGA is reasonable given how the comic treated their IP.
>>
>>93260475
Bioware made the game, and it's highly likely that they both had the same terrible idea for characters independently of one another, as they are both shit.
>>
File: now.jpg (657KB, 900x1080px) Image search: [Google]
now.jpg
657KB, 900x1080px
>>93260924
And now, 10 years later, I asked him to take another. stab at it, with their latest look.
>>
>>93260924
>>93260952
I love Yardley's Sally and Nicole. Few artists nail it like them.
>>
>>93260753

"Letting it go" is basically saying that what he did was okay. He singlehandedly ruined and killed one of the better and longest lasting pieces of officially licensed Sonic fiction. He needs to be held accountable
>>
>>93258217
I genuinely liked Night of the Werehog, kinda nice that we could've gotten an adaptation of that.
>>
>>93261030

This probably already hurted his carreer forever.
>>
>>93260945

I don't see how it could be worse. It's already choking every last ounce of creativity out of the comic. And it ruined the Sonic / Sally relationship. They can't even do reasonable costume changes like the aforementioned spacesuits or diving suits

Even if the comic isn't cancelled, Pender's ego and these constricting guidelines have essentially killed the goose that lays the golden egg.
>>
>>93261114
And now we need to hurt his life.
>>
>>93261114
Pretty much. Now no publisher will ever want to work with him again for fear of having to deal with potential lawsuits down the road.
>>
>>93261131
There is thousands of stories Ian could pull out with these "restrictions" and still be good. In fact I rather because whenever creators are given full control it damage the product they put out.

>And it ruined the Sonic / Sally relationship.
It ruin itself way before the mandates and you need to fuck off with your ships.
>>
>>93261030
This is weird reasoning.

SEGA killed the comic, not Penders. SEGA killed it to spite Penders, but SEGA is the one who did it.
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497

Man, why not just kill the comics if they hate them so much?
>>
File: 1435270020490.jpg (50KB, 488x461px) Image search: [Google]
1435270020490.jpg
50KB, 488x461px
>>93261114
>>93261139
BRING ON THE HURT!
>>
>>93261030
No, letting it go just means you don't dedicate your time to punishing somebody who isn't a part of your life. Going after him incessantly benefits nobody, he's already at the bottom of his career with no hope of recovery.
>>
>>93261190

>I rather because whenever creators are given full control it damage the product they put out.

This is true. Look at issues 150-159 of the Archie Sonic run.
>>
>>93260952
>more clothes but sexier
improvement
>>
>>93261220
Do remember that most of these are after the infamous Penders debacle, SEGA was FURIOUS at how much of a fuck up it was and so to punish them, they really put the screws to Archie.
>>
>>93260924
>>93260952
I met him at Megacon
I should have got a Snively pic
>>
>>93261207

And SEGA wouldn't have done it if Penders hadn't pulled his bullshit.

So it's directly Penders fault. And he should be constantly harassed for it.
>>
>>93252453
Sega should just produce their own comics/manga in-house, then license them to willing publishers. No more of muddled copyrights. No more palette swap OCs.
>>
File: 7ac.gif (2MB, 313x231px) Image search: [Google]
7ac.gif
2MB, 313x231px
>>93253052
>>93253955
>>93253988
>>93254125
>>93255204
>>93255593
>>93259827
>>93260041
>>93260153
>>93260474
Fuck off Moviebob. Your bullshit marketing strategies may work for Mario and Zelda games, but these are fucking comic books meant to cater to people who grew up with shit like ninja turtles and Usagi Yojimbo.

Retards who keep trying to compare Sonic to Bugs Bunny instead of the above plotwise are the cancer that need to be purged from the fandom. Simple as that.
>>
>ITT: idiots takes the same bait that's been spammed in /sthg/ for months
Even if no one here used hat general it's still fucking obvious bait. Come on, now
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497

This kinda feels like when your school bans pokemon cards and they make damn sure everyone know whose fault it is.
>>
>>93254918
I just now realized Eggman is staring at her exposed boob.
>>
File: 1462050462781.png (271KB, 740x357px) Image search: [Google]
1462050462781.png
271KB, 740x357px
>>93258217
>>93261113

>After the 300th Sonic 2/3/CD adoption
>Finially get more unique media
>Gets canned

It truly amazes me Ken hasn't been attacking by a raving fan yet.
>>
>>93259936
>A lengthy, ongoing comic NEEDS lore and story.

Actually it just needs money.
Scooby Doo, Simpsons, and I think Looney Toons are still chugging along.

>>93260475
Paying him wasn't an option. Sega felt they shouldn't give money because this is a fuck up on the part of Archies. Its like paying for a dent in your neighbor's car because the lawnmower guy you contracted out ran the mower into it.

Archie didn't want to pay because as the second round is showing, it empowers money seeking hacking to come and try to make a buck.

Although I will agree that Ken really isn't at fault per say here. Its more that Archie forgot to cover their ass and Ken is just exploiting the legal system, something we've bitched about big companies doing for decades.
>>
>>93263921
Take your memes back to your homosexual general.
>>
>>93265885
Fuck that. /sthg/ has been putting up with those shitposts for a year now.
>>
>>93265914
/sthg/ calls any different opinion shitposts.
>>
>>93265930
It's a shitpost when those anons admitted on another board that they go in /sthg/, spam the same shit that was posted here for the sake of derailing a thread.
>>
So what are the artists for this comic doing now? I fucking loved their work, especially Skelly's stuff.
>>
File: A1chLs0.png (115KB, 332x421px) Image search: [Google]
A1chLs0.png
115KB, 332x421px
>>93265717
Same. It's really a wonder none of the people involved in this haven't been attacked by some 400lb manchild autist screeching about sonic's arms or something.
>>
>>93266036
I think I heard a lot of them have moved on to other projects and jobs now.
>>
>>93266037
That guy is now a fake-woman who recently got excited about being a mother now that science has found a way to make male-to-females pregnant for reals.
>>
File: tumblr_ocv8s1dsC81s9fn3ko1_1280.jpg (339KB, 569x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocv8s1dsC81s9fn3ko1_1280.jpg
339KB, 569x768px
So, like, is all of Archie Sonic just plain canceled by Sega now? Or is it just being rebooted?
>>
>>93266036
Tyson Heese is doing the animated scenes for Sonic Mania. Ian Flynn wrote some episodes of Boom. Don't know what's gonna happen for everybody else.

>>93266091
No one knows. The entire future of the comics is just one giant question mark at this point.
>>
>>93254573
dumb question, but why does it matter that it's a photocopy if it's the same?
>>
>>93266150
>Ian Flynn wrote some episodes of Boom.
How are the Ian episodes?
>>
>>93266208
I only saw the first one he did, but it was fun.
>>
>>93266079
That's at least as funny as freaking out about the color of sonic's arms.
>>
>>93266079
No thats the Sonic Chu guy.
>>

Then what was the point of Honey?
>>
>>93269224
You think Sega gives a shit about Honey?
>>
>>93265966
Fool! You can't derail a thread, when nothing is discussed!
>>
>>93263557
Sonic needs to be more like Bugs Bunny, and less like the Ninja Turtles. I don't know if you're baiting or not, but Sonic being deep and emotional is fucking awful. Shadow the Hedgehog was pushing it, Sonic '06 dropped the ball. Half of you crying about the comic dying don't give a fuck about the games. Mario works because they DON'T try to make deep plots. The Super Mario Adventures comics were fantastic in how it handled the source material. Sonic needs to follow that.

>>93266173
A photocopy of a legal contract can be considered forgery.
>>
File: sonic bat_face_the_rogue.png (716KB, 675x1156px) Image search: [Google]
sonic bat_face_the_rogue.png
716KB, 675x1156px
>that sonic comic the Boxer Hockey guy was doing will never get finished, even though its probably the best Sonic comics have been for years
>>
>>93266208
Pretty indistinguishable from the non-Ian episodes. I wouldn't have guessed he wrote them if I hadn't been told. So... pretty good that they mesh so well I suppose.
>>
>>93252782
Gerald and Black Doom are embroiled in a custody suit. Really nasty stuff.

Shadow's having a really hard time dealing with it.
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497
why are you posting this? we've known this since the reboot happened
>>
>>93270411
I love Tyson and all, but the Genesis comics were only a cute distraction. I don't think anyone is biting their nails to see where the plot was going.
>>
>>93265818
>Actually it just needs money.
Guess which method successfully got them money? All you have is theories it could have done it other ways.
>>
>>93270820

Well if examples of other companies in similar circumstances are just theories now then I can't argue with that.

The comics I listed off could be complete flops and still print because the companies behind them are that big. But having a big backer isn't necessary.

Does story/lore on the levels of 2D4U work? Yes it is one way to go about it. Just the same light lore and jokes can let a book generate and carry on for decades as the manga market has shown.

My personal opinion, but I think the dark ages proved that Archie could have taken the book in any direction short of full blown fur porn that anything with the label Sonic would sell.
>>
>>93271086
I would be pretty surprised if they more than just scraped by in the dark ages.
>>
>>93252558

Who is this guy, and why does he have to do with Sonic?
>>
>>93269224
Honey is barely even a character. She was the furry version of a Virtual Fighters character of the same name AND was scrapped. She pretty much doesn't apply to the mandates like the actually characters from the games.
>>
>>93266150
Evan Stanley did an episode for Boom, IIRC. Don't think it aired or maybe I missed it.
>>
>>93252782
Firstly, Sega seems somewhat embarrassed of the game he was in. And secondly, Black Doom was a pretty dark character, his goal was to eat people.
>>
>>93271250
I think he means "why make Honey a fashion designer" like they did in the comic.
>>
>>93271332
Because the Honey from *Fighter Vipers was a fashion designer. That's purely the reason.
>>
>>93258109
>Sonic's pretty much been keeping Archie alive all these years
Wut.

Archie digests continue to outsell basically any direct market comic.
>>
>>93260439
Actually it's the exact opposite. The biggest fear for Sonic fandom is that if the franchise left Archie, then Sega would basically force whoever gets the rights to be super-duper handcuffed by demands from Sega over the content of the book. EXPLICITLY to prevent another debacle that happened with Archie.

In particular, if you are a fan of SATAM and it's exclusive characters? You are irrevocably FUCKED if Archie loses the franchise.

Sega of Japan absolutely HATES HATES HATES the SATAM characters and has openly stated over the decades that they would ban ANYONE from using them again in ANY SHAPE FORM OR FASHION if they could.

The only reason why they still appear in Sonic comics is due to the fact that there are legal loopholes in the original contract that allows the SATAM cast to keep appearing in the comics in major roles.

Once Archie loses the rights, then those characters are basically dead. Sega will NEVER allow another comic company to use them PERIOD.
>>
>this guy in the thread not understanding why Penders is the villain
He's either a willingly dense troll, a genuine retard, or Penders himself.
>>
>>93272205
[this is what Archiefags actually believe]
>>
>>93272205
Well, luckily for the medium of comic books, there are ways to make comics and get payed for them that do not involve comic book stores, or indeed selling them at all - or in this case, needing to sign any contracts with any copyright holders.

If you Archie Sonic fans had half a brain cell between yourselves, then this "crisis" of Archie Sonic comics would not exist in the first place because the solution would be glaringly obvious to all of you.
>>
>>93272627
Is he wrong? I don't believe Sega would allow anyone to use SatAM characters again. They're pretty far removed from Sega's modern branding. Whether or not you care if they're gone is another matter.
>>
>>93272205
>In particular, if you are a fan of SATAM and it's exclusive characters? You are irrevocably FUCKED if Archie loses the franchise.
Is it really worth worrying about minute characters from a long dead cartoon?
>>
>>93252453
>>93252497
Cool source.
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.