[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Pixar no longer trying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: tumblr_mobw9s6VJg1r4g3wco1_540.jpg (142KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mobw9s6VJg1r4g3wco1_540.jpg
142KB, 512x512px
>>
you see, you're posting a thesis without actually posting arguments. therefore, your way of polemizing is wrong to begin with. it's like if a Christian person found a bunch of atheists and asked them: "Why is God so cool?". Nobody would treat him seriously.
>>
>>93244365

Because they know no matter what they put out they're gonna win the Oscar and gross at least half a billion.
>>
The initial mill of ideas dried up around Wall-E and Disney wants sequels.
>>
>>93244365
Disney's grubby hands got in the sauce. They realized that instead of making a fine meal every night, it's cheaper and more profitable to microwave the leftovers from the other night.

Why bother to make a movie with effort when everyone will flock to see Finding Dory?
>>
>>93244379
He doesn't need to argue, the alarming amount of sequels prove him right.
>>
>>93244916
havent seen it yet

why is it so frowned upon?
>>
>>93244379
You are a fucking faggot
>>
>>93244916
but finding dory was great
>>
Aw fuck it, let's talk about Rogue One!
>>
>>93244380
Tell that to the Good Dinosaur
>>
>>93244960
10/10 line delivery
>>
>>93245007
That shit was such a creepy movie. A boy that was basically a feral dog with death everywhere that involved cute animals. The T-Rex wranglers scared the shit out of my nephew.
>>
>>93244995
It was so good. The whole thing felt a half hour long.
>>
>>93244995
>>93245096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKGy2cg4Wk
>>
>>93244365
They ran out of ideas.
In one DVD commentary,they said that when they were finishing toy story,in a lunch meeting they talked about the next movie. In that lunch meeting,they came up with a bugs life,the incredibles,up and wall-e.

After they did all that,finding nemo and 2 toy story sequels,they realized they had nothing original anymore. But they were a big company now,so they had to gain money fast. No time for new ideas.
Some boring writer came up with brave,and since everyone else was in a writers block they chose to do that garbage. Then some fat autist insisted on the good dinosaur so much they said fuck it,and made that movie.

The non toy story sequels came out so they can have safe bets and easy money. Lets make a sequel to sell car toys. Lets make a prequel to bank on college kids. Lets make a sequel about a side character to make billions without effort.

Inside out was the one good idea they had and i bet it came out after they were desperate for ideas,and someone joked "lets make emotions have emotions!"
Tldr:Pixar needs another long,loooong lunch meeting.
>>
This is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NR_5vut4y4
>>
>>93244379
/thread
>>
>>93245362
>They ran out of ideas.

this is pretty much it, most of their big concepts came from a lunch on a napkin and they eventually made them all.
>>
What's going on with Coco though?
>>
Their main method was always
>A look into the secret world of...
with that being toys, bugs, monsters under the bed, superheroes, rats, robots, etc

But eventually that dries out. And the only time they tried something different was Brave and that was terrible. They went back to the old formula with Inside Out and that made money again so they are going to keep going with that some more.
>>
>>93247006
Pixar's Book of Life
>>
>>93244365
Too big to fail
>>
>>93247312
No such thing, they'll fail. When they do, it'll be hard and painful.
>>
>>93247348
Nah, I think without some major change they will just go the way of Dreamworks.

They were once pretty great but then started putting out shit movie after mediocre movie until people stop paying much attention, then the parent company will quietly sell them off. Viewers will just move on to something else.

They are halfway there with relying on terrible sequels to their old successes. Not quite to Shrek 4, Puss in Boots, and holiday specials but getting close with Toy Story and Cars.

If their movies are consistently worse than each thing Illumination puts out I can see Disney dropping them.
>>
>>93247312
>>93247348
The worst they've ever been is the Cars 2-Inside Out era.
It's been uphill from there ever since.
>>
It sort of looks like somewhere around 2010-2011 most of the companies were releasing crap.

Dreamworks was doing pretty bad then, Pixar was not great and Tangled was the first step back in the right direction again.
>>
It's so bizarre to imagine they were so reliant on a single lunch meeting. Why can't they make new ideas again?
>>
>>93245054
Good.
>>
>>93245608
>Wall-E came out 10 years ago

Holy shit.
>>
>>93247434
I was in a really bleak mood this morning, thank you for this.
>>
>>93248316
I mean, it's uphill when compared to the rut they were in. I wouldn't quit say they in a return to form but they might be on the road there if they focus on original movies and less on sequels.
>>
>>93244379
Is this some shitty new pasta?
>>
>>93248365
I did mean it. I didn't want to believe they've gotten any worse overtime but hearing someone make mention of it in good heart is comforting.

and that's because I finished watching finding dory a good half hour or so ago. god was it awkward.
>>
File: certainly.png (809KB, 1092x727px) Image search: [Google]
certainly.png
809KB, 1092x727px
>>93244365
>>93247006
>>93247069
They've been working on Coco since just before Brave came out. When Brave happened it hit the studio pretty hard. None of them were proud of it and had sort of a crisis around Disney basically forcing them to release it regardless of quality just to make up some of it's cost. This led them to shelf or straight up cancel ALL their running projects except for two: Inside Out because they thought it was their highest concept and best idea, and The Good Dinosaur which they thought could be their new Cars franchise and pay for their other artsier movies.

Coco was a close second behind Inside Out. It wasn't canceled at all in fact there was one meeting room where the coco character designs remained pinned on the wall through the entire production of Inside Out. It's a serious passion project for a lot of their most senior artists and they are putting everything they have into it. If it's not a masterpiece then maybe Pixar has lost it's edge.

So Pixar IS trying. They're trying their asses off one last time with Coco. If it doesn't work then well fuck I don't know what that means.
>>
>>93249051
So their big last ditch effort is The Book of Life?
>>
>>93249102
Given Pixar's history of being scooped, if Brave didn't force them to reprioritize Coco would have probably hit at about the same time as BoL. In fact I don't doubt that was part of the point. I'm not sure if it's overconfidence but they don't seem too worried about it now.
>>
File: IMG_2126.jpg (65KB, 595x641px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2126.jpg
65KB, 595x641px
Honestly the whole idea of “[Studio Name] Can Do No Wrong/Right” is autistic as fuck.

Like seriously, judge a film for what it is, not which studio's logo pops up in the opening scenes.
>>
>>93244945
It's literally a repeat of the exact same thing throughout the entire movie.
>Dory gets lost
>Dory panics
>Dory remembers something
>Dory learned to believe in herself
>Cut to Marlin and Nemo talking about how great Dory is
>Rinse and repeat
>>
>>93249164
I would actually be OK with it being better than Book of Life because then I think I would like it a lot, I rather like The Book of Life. And I just saw that there is a sequel to that. Gives me pause.
>>
>>93249308
>Like seriously, judge a film for what it is, not which studio's logo pops up in the opening scenes.
blame capitalism for that. The smart consumer is suppose to do his/her research on the brand before buying the product.
>>
>>93249650
Watching a movie you may not enjoy isn't the same as buying an overpriced piece of crap though.

I was referring more to the Disney-Pixar circle jerk. Like, I'm not a true fan if I enjoy other studios' works? Well fuck you too.
>>
>>93247545
Corporate structure prevents new ideas from flourishing unless they come from the "right" people. An entry level animator who has a great idea for a movie can't pitch it to the directors because it's not their place to have ideas, they're only there to make sure Dory's mouth matches the lines.

I'm not saying that animators always have great ideas for movies, I'm just saying that their company structure prevents anyone other than like four or five people from coming up with new ideas, and when those same people are forced to imagine things over and over again, eventually they're going to give up and say "You know what, fuck it, let's just do another Cars movie, we already have most of the assets".
>>
>>93249462

That sounds about right though.
It's nowhere near the classic the original is, but for a movie that narratively focuses on a forgetful fish and has to work with flashbacks that ties into the original, it's solid.
The dilemma is, a "solid sequel" is the type of thing Pixar used to be above doing.
>>
>>93249650
>blame capitalism

Reddit is that way
>>
>>93249962
It's far too repetitive for me to enjoy. It has no substance, no moment of real tension, because every scenario is treated with a special snowflake lens that doesn't allow to feel interest for the story.
>>
File: 1491545732355.jpg (45KB, 684x495px) Image search: [Google]
1491545732355.jpg
45KB, 684x495px
>>93244365
They saw Marvel rehashing the same crap so they thought they could call it in until the public picked up, at least they have some level of quality control unlike Dreamworks. I'm excited for the next Ice Age movie since the last one was so bad it actually got a laugh out of me for being so disorganized
>>
>>93249934
This, it becomes a "make a movie by committee" format.

They honestly should be making themselves more open for movie ideas with their animators/staff.
>>
File: tumblr_o54u1gNsZM1vpn7pko1_400.gif (247KB, 272x203px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o54u1gNsZM1vpn7pko1_400.gif
247KB, 272x203px
>>93245054
it's nothing compared to the initials plans of that recent furry disney movie.
>>
>>93252078
Shit was practically Psycho Pass with talking animals.
>>
>>93244365
They made Toy Story 3 and realized there were only 2 ways to go from there: either go mad trying to outdo themselves and the inevitable depression that comes from failure after failure or stop trying and coast on brand recognition. For the sake of their sanity, they chose the latter.

The Cars franchise isn't about being good though, it's about selling toys and kid's clothes.
>>
>>93244916
If that was completely true, they'd be doing straight to home release sequels by now (half hour ABC specials don't count.)
>>
>>93244365

When Disney bought Pixar, they pillaged all of their talent and brought them over into the Disney Animation fold. All of the folks who made 'Up', 'Ratatouille', 'Monsters Inc.', and 'Wall-E' are working on Disney films now. Pixar is a sequel-pooping factory now.
>>
>>93252122
bunch of creeps must be working there.
>>
>>93252255
careful with these words, or he'll scold you like me.

just let them merge already, they cant pull this forever
>>
>>93244945
I mean, it wasn't complete shit, but god it was boring. It has none of the stakes or breadth of adventure as the first one and if I remember right, a lot of the problems they face wouldn't have happened if they had stayed put in the first place. It just kind of ended up being a sequence of the characters kinda getting moved around from tank to tank with the octopus and loon showing up to move things along if they were truly stuck. And Nemo is just a little bitch who does nothing but say "I told you so" to Merlin through the whole movie.

And it kind of bothered me how every random thing they come across is willing to help on a whim. As opposed to the first movie where it felt like Merlin's desperate cause rallied and inspired the whole ocean, leading others to help him. And even then, they still came across a number of difficult or unhelpful characters.
>>
>>93244379
Stale pasta.
>>
>>93244916
Literally none of this is true. Pixar is owned by Disney, but Disney does not decide what projects Pixar works on; Pixar is legally autonomous and decides their own workload per their merger agreement with Disney.

You're just making shit up and parroting "le disney is evil corporation" memes.
>>
>>93252761
find one other thread with it
>>
>>93252507
Not to mention the climactic "escape to the ocean" scene with the truck was a damn near shot-by-shot retread of the same fucking scene in Toy Story 2.
>>
>>93244365
Pixar has always been the company for conservative middle America. You know, suburbia. They get to go to Pixar movies with their kids, watch the two protagonists grudgingly team up, laugh at the adult references that are aimed toward them, see the chase scene that happens in every movie, and see the protagonists agree that maybe they could be friends. Pixar's been doing this for over thirty years. The problem, however, is that their audience is changing and getting smarter. The middle class is gone. What's left are a bunch of single, young, poor and bitter people. They aren't going to be satisfied with Pixar's movies like middle America. They're going to nitpick them and see that Pixar's movies aren't so great after all. And when that happens, Pixar's great "braintrust" will be eliminated and replaced with Disney corporate heads, who will hasten Pixar's destruction.
>>
BASED BIRDMAN WILL SAVE WESTERN FEATURE ANIMATION WITH THE INCREDIBLES 2.

IN BRAD WE TRUST
>>
File: BORG.jpg (66KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
BORG.jpg
66KB, 450x338px
>>93253115
oh, and there he is.
>disney
>borg of the industry
>not evil
>>
>>93253568
>the savior of western animation will be a fucking sequel
Anon, it's over, we lost. Just try and enjoy what little good remains.
>>
File: snapshot20170208171048.jpg (119KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20170208171048.jpg
119KB, 1280x720px
>>93253755
what's wrong with western animation? i think it's fine.
>>
>>93249102
>>93247069
I love how /co/ is the only place making Book of Life comparisons considering how mediocre and forgettable it was or maybe its just the anti-Pixar poster that's been roaming here for months?
>>
>>93253832
The Lego Movies are fantastic comedy films. I'd say they are the only animated films I give a shit about now other than Disney and Pixar stuff.

>>93252326
This, how hard is it to do so. Just take all that great talent and shove them under one huge roof. They make the same films anyway. Just call it Disney * Pixar like they always put on Pixar films. Walt Disney's legacy lives on, but he is dead and John Lasseter should be focused on the now. Making today's films as great as possible.
>>
>>93244365
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kcet4aPpQ
>>
>>93252122
>Shit was practically Psycho Pass with talking animals.
well minus the senseless gore, and overwhelming bleakness
>>
>>93255638
Pixar was made what it is today by the crop of kids who were personally taught by the Nine Old Men, joined Disney as their childhood dream job and left when they found out it fucking sucked and their heroes and teachers had retired, leaving the old second raters behind in charge. Lasseter and his contemporaries still have enormous love for the Mouse House and everything it meant to them and their careers in animation, but they still love the paradise they made themselves. Disney is what he wanted to be, Pixar is all his, and he can't decide between them. Splitting their talent is dumb because it ensures either Pixar or Disney can be good but not both, but he's too loathe to dissolve Pixar outright.
>>
>>93245608
I never forgot this trailer, it was for the very first film I watched on a theater.
>>
Admit it /co/.
The only Pixar movie that deserves a sequel is Inside Out
>>
>>93255273
Yeah, outside of the animation and aesthetic, Book of Life was rather generic and forgettable. Unfortunately, nothing about Coco's story and characters so far piques my interest and the art direction is nowhere near as inventive. Then again, I haven't truly enjoyed a Pixar movie beyond "that was ok" since fucking Up and that was nearly a decade ago.
>>
>>93249308
People find solace in reliability. Almost everyone has a favorite series, franchise, creator, or creative team that they can enjoy and feel like they can depend on if they aren't entirely jaded. Unfortunately, time and entropy are cruel mistresses than 99% of the time lead to disappointment. I know I have been especially burned by BioWare in the last 5 years. Still, it's nice to find a brand that produces a decent stream of content that have a proven track record, you just need to be careful of trusting them blindly.
>>
>>93253832
As a 2-D fag, American animation has basically abandoned me and I'm too much of westaboo to let anime replace it. These days, I gotta depend on the fucking surrender monkeys to provide me with anything I would consider true quality.
>>
>>93244365
Why are you no longer trying?
>>
>>93256854
...right. there was no blood, but there was still lots of depressing suffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlaPttudUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHURiOqMVTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzH9GJgoHY
>>
>>93249051
Coco could have cool story but visuals are really boring for today standards
>>
>>93252122
and what's so bad about Psycho Pass with talking animals? That's actually really cool. Did need more fox though
>>
>>93245362
This post is right, but there is a deeper issue here.

Pixar is a behemoth of a company now, and a wrong move means the firing of tons of people, many who stuck with the company for years.

Can anyone here say they'd want to risk people's livelihoods on a new idea, or just give the greenlight for Toy Story 4? Businesses include real decisions that affect real people.

Everyone says Pixar is soulless, but they give more of a shit than you know.
>>
>>93262751
Why the fuck didn't they make an Incredibles 2 then?

People loved the first one.
>>
>>93262678

Bcause only a handful of people would want to watch it? Have you seen the making of? It was clear who prey and predators were going to represent.
>>
Aside from the action sequence Lou was dull. How out of touch are you when you're still doing the same one-note school bully design and a video game console that makes loud bleep bloops.
>>
File: lego smear frames.png (2MB, 1378x1206px) Image search: [Google]
lego smear frames.png
2MB, 1378x1206px
>>93255638

TLM ws amazing, LB was okay for a batman movie, Ninjago looks promising.
>>
Do people read credits anymore? Key story developers jumped to Disney Animation Studios which is why there is a jump in quality for Disney's films. Pixar only has some of the old animators and young kids who bought into the Pixar hype.
>>
>>93263645

no we dont, people rarely read credits, they only think about the "Brand".
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.