[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC vs Marvel on Drama

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dcmarvel.jpg (183KB, 570x300px) Image search: [Google]
dcmarvel.jpg
183KB, 570x300px
Tell me if your opinion, /co/. I'm mostly a casual, I've started reading cape comics about a year ago, I've mostly read old stuff and have a few current on my pull list.
I'm mostly a dc guy, so what I know about marvel is mostly through indirect means, but it seems to me, Marvel has tons of personal drama, much more than DC and it gets more focus than in DC too.
Relationships, who cheated on who, teen wangst and so on. You have angsty characters in dc comics too, but there isn't that many soap opera situations. Am I right or is this just my impression?
>>
You're right.
>>
Most of the perceived differences between Marvel and DC are outdated.

In the early 60's Marvel introducing more human characteristics to superheroes was a major innovation, making the characters develop over a long amount of time.

Over time writers at DC started to adopt this as well. Marvel had an effect on the entire industry, not just in its own comics. CoIE was an attempt to alter their ENTIRE line to reflect changes in the industry, instead of only some titles.

Teen Titans was actually arguably the first industry example of what you call "teen wangst", and this also went on in X-Men and LoSH and was what made those series so hugely successful in the early 80's.

Outside of certain titles, there hasn't really been anything like teen drama. You have your Runaways and other titles meant on appealing to the YA audience but overall the "soap opera" direction is indistinguishable between Marvel and DC; the two share most of their writers, after all.

Look at the similarities between Identity Crisis and Avengers Disassembled for the perfect example.

These are industry trends, not specific to any one company.
>>
>>93230979
Identity crisis isn't personality drama for the sake of personality drama though, it explores an issue with superhero identities and shows a rather extreme consequence.
Compare that to
>we're breaking up because you respect me and I just want random dick
or cheating all around that happens in marvel.
>>
>>93231150
That's just a difference in the quality of the writers. not the directions of the companies.
>>
>>93231244
Eh, eh. Depends on where you draw the line. If you put everything under the label
>personal stories
then yes. But there's a difference between personal stories in general and cheating drama.
>>
Any other opinions?
>>
>>93230324
I feel like Marvel pulls off the secret identity and human aspects of characters better than DC.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.