[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /co/, so I just finished reading Watchmen and I thought it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: before-watchmen.jpg (79KB, 362x556px) Image search: [Google]
before-watchmen.jpg
79KB, 362x556px
Hey /co/, so I just finished reading Watchmen and I thought it was brilliant, what's next? I don't know shit about comic books

I want to buy something that's truly exceptional and worth my money and time

Anyone have a list of "essential" comic books?

My favorite superhero is batman, also I like lovecraft, horror, the berserk manga, stuff like that. Adult shit

Also, what's your opinion on the prequel series to Watchmen? I've already seen how Alan Moore sees it
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>"Cerebus, as if I need to say so, is still to comic books what Hydrogen is to the Periodic Table." - Alan Moore, author of Watchmen
>>
>>93224577
I'd say just read more by authors you like, and then read things that seem sort of similar to what you already read and enjoyed and branch out from there. I started at Remender's venom and I'm currently reading Love and Rockets.
>>
>>93224577
Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing is really, truly great. You don't need much backstory on the characters aside from Swamp Thing's origin and to read up on a few characters introduced. If you want to read the original 20 issues of the original campy Swamp Thing feel free.
>>
>>93224577
Well what kind of shit do you like OP
>>
>>93224577
Read Kingdom Come
>>
File: tips fedora.gif (3MB, 350x295px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.gif
3MB, 350x295px
>>93224577
>favorite superhero is batman
>>
>>93224577
>batman, also I like lovecraft, horror, the berserk manga, stuff like that. Adult shit
>Batman
>Adult shit
Doing it wrong. Here's some recommendations for you, though.

Sandman. Transmetropolitan. Y The Last Man. Ex Machina. Kurt Busiek's Conan series is good too. Blacksad is harder to find in bookstores but you can order online and it's good shit.

If you're looking for Batman and other capeshit, The Dark Knight Returns. Long Halloween. Kingdom Come. These are all good places to start.
>>
>>93227457
It's normie to have Batman as your favorite, only fedora tippers give people a hard time over that.
>>
>>93227662
Ive actually read Sandman when i was a kid and other gaiman books (novels) and loved them

thanks for the recomendations
>>
Locke & Key and Hellblazer for horror
>>
>>93224577

'Invisibles'... 'The Filth'... by Grant Morrison, in my opinion, very enjoyable.

He also did a lot of Batman stuff, but that is pretty... explosion in a spaghetti factory.
>>
>>93224634

>Is the oldest
>All other elements are formed from it
>Makes up most matter in the universe
>Is indispensible for life

Yeah, I am going to disagree. It is interesting as a documentation of the descent into madness of a fairly brilliant artist.

But I wouldn't trade it for 'The Dark Knight Returns'.
>>
File: 319340.jpg (709KB, 1000x1373px) Image search: [Google]
319340.jpg
709KB, 1000x1373px
>>93224577
The thread will be full of neckbeards trying to appear superior since theyve waded through the most shitty comics imaginable featuring X obscure character from X obscure run, but if you like Batman, check out

Arkham Asylum: A serious house on serious earth
>this one is my personal favorite graphic novel, its a self contained piece and one of the most important batman pieces out there. The artwork is mindblowing and the writing is great

The Dark Knight Returns
>probably the most important batman piece and maybe the most important cape comic of all time, also has an animated two part film which is basically just as good as reading it

Year one
>same as above, movie is only one part though

The Killing Joke
>one of the most important batman comics, from the writer of Watchmen. Has a movie adaptation but I recommend either reading the original first or watching a voice acted reading of it on youtube (theres a good one which will probably pop up immeaditely if you search for it)

Some other self contained batman works are The Long Halloween and The Haunted Knight. If you want something mature with an interesting artstyle, there is also a batman piece dealing with child abuse (Night Cries)

About comics in general, probably the only "serial" that I want to recommend is Sandman
>>
>>93224577
>also I like lovecraft, horror, the berserk manga, stuff like that. Adult shit

Providence, by Moore, its his latest thing and its lovecraftian by purpose.

Also, Hellboy/BPRD, Locke and Key, Moore's Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Preacher, Baltimore....
>>
>>93229674

To add to what Anon here has already listed,
IMO... if youre reading digitally (because I'm not entirely sure how well its been collected) Legends of the Dark Knight is one of the most solid batman series ever, theyre all seperate stories by diff creative teams, some better than others but having a different take and a different story every arc was really fun to read through.

I'm talking about the 1st and 2nd (kinda, they just added 'Batman:" to the title) run btw, they tried to reboot it at one point and it wasn't very good at all.

It lists it all here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Legends_of_the_Dark_Knight

Which can help you pick and choose if you don't want to read all 200+ issues, lol
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.