[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbing of Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 87

File: rebrolitated.png (368KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
rebrolitated.png
368KB, 1000x333px
Tonight, we finally get what everyone was waiting for....

More Ukulele Dan! Huzzah.
>>
give up on him. whatever might have been left of his dick has clearly imploded into a mutilated, non-functioning vagina. Leave him, leave that webcomic and never look back
>>
>>93217295
It has been ten days since Amber killed a man.
Nothing really matters until that gets resolved, and I have the feeling that Willis is just going to keep on with all of these unrelated plotlines and completely avoid the elephant in the dormitory until the very end of the day.
>>
>>93217295
I gotta admit, that's pretty funny.
Although it is irritating to see women just randomly rejecting joe when his entire character is based around the idea that his honesty and libido make him rather popular with the ladies.
>>
>>93217295
>Character who is basically blue haired gender swap Willis
>Being an 8
That hack wishes this were the case.
>>
>>93217295
I have to admit, that's pretty funny.
Although the constant rejection is somewhat out of left field when joes character is supposed to be a ladies man who's honesty and lack of tact or guile only adds to his attractiveness.
>>
>>93217423
>>93217361
Fucking 4chan, giving me error messages for nothing.
>>
Oh, and if anybody cares for what the song is, it's from "Moana":
https://genius.com/Walt-disney-records-how-far-ill-go-lyrics
>I've been staring at the edge of the water
>Long as I can remember, never really knowing why
>I wish I could be the perfect daughter
>But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try

I know we've argues about the sliding timescale before, but it still pisses me off that we're supposed to take it seriously that all of this is happening in real-time.
>>
>>93217295
Dan's singing the song of his people. Singing some Chainsmoker songs about being white and in love.

...which would be any Chainsmoker song, but that's not here nor there.
>>
>>93217295
Damn it Willis get back to Robin, its the only reason I read your shite.
>>
File: 1458015118840.jpg (311KB, 1024x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1458015118840.jpg
311KB, 1024x1210px
>>93217423
>Although the constant rejection is somewhat out of left field when joes character is supposed to be a ladies man who's honesty and lack of tact or guile only adds to his attractiveness.

What, you haven't noticed?

Dude, Willis is setting up Joe to be confronted as a bro who objectifies women.
Mark my words, Joe is going to get pussy whipped and made to check his toxic masculinity.
>>
>>93217449
Could be Joe doing it intentionally as a form of "don't shit where you eat" to head off any potential drama.
>>
>>93217359
He can't even use the book collections as an excuse for this. This manic scene switching between pointless minor story elements would read even worse in a collection I think.

If a comic pulled this type of bullshit in a trade, I'd just get bored and flip past these pages until I saw one of the characters that any reader would want to see right now.
>>
>>93217614
Yeah he fucked up and talked to Rachel and she did the Ryan strategy except with his girl rating rss feed.

Not even mega feminists Dorothy and Roz tried to blow him up for that.
>>
>>93217295
1. That blue-haired character is the one who looks like Willis. Does Willis think he's an 8?

2. She probably subscribes to the To-Do List RSS Feed, because why not?

3. I like Joe's attempts at being sensitive toward Danny's needs, even though he really hasn't been up to this point.

4. I wish Willis would stop emphasizing how feminine Danny is now that he's singing "Moana" songs and playing the ukulele like a quirky white girl and that he's always wanted to talk about feelings and stuff. Willis might as well make Danny trans at this rate. Does Willis think that bi people just automatically act as gay stereotypes? Wait, we know the answer to that.
>>
File: commission jest.png (875KB, 2008x3012px) Image search: [Google]
commission jest.png
875KB, 2008x3012px
In other news, my commission finally came in.
>>
>>93217423
In this case, the person in question is in a relationship already. She only sometimes makes out with Sierra, and they probably have to run it past each other if they were to see anyone else.

I don't think she's exactly rejecting him. She's more appearing for the sake of his line in the fourth panel. She's also not engaging with him because he's explicitly making a point about engaging with Danny. She doesn't really have a reason to enter the conversation.

-GirlAnon here and suddenly feeling slightly self-conscious about my appearance
>>
>>93218559
>girlanon here
NORTHAMPTON
>>
>>93217295
Willis, if you're reading this, stop doing cropped hoodies. They are not that popular.
>>
>>93219080
Why the heck would Willis be on 4chan?
>>
File: 2008-03-12-fourchan.png (143KB, 550x825px) Image search: [Google]
2008-03-12-fourchan.png
143KB, 550x825px
>>93219090
Because he enjoys getting riled up about us as much as we enjoy getting riled up about him.
>>
>>93217295
Joe advertises his to-do list pretty publicly to men and women. Why would he be surprised that this girl knows? Shouldn't he expect it to get around?
>>
5 at best, after a few beers
>>
File: Ralph x Sue12.jpg (319KB, 963x1473px) Image search: [Google]
Ralph x Sue12.jpg
319KB, 963x1473px
>>93219403
Why would she be pissed about being an 8? That is really high.
>>
>>93217295
Has anyone else paid close attention to Danny's fingers in the second panel? No? Then I advise you don't look at the broken monstrosity of his left hand.
>>
File: useless.png (319KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
useless.png
319KB, 1000x333px
>>
>>93217295
>neon blue hair dye
>8
I thought Joe had good tastes.

>>93218559
>feeling slightly self-conscious about my appearance
You already said you were a girl. You better not have blue hair.
>>
>>93219848
My hair is a bright magenta right now. It is also close to Ruth's new length, when it used to be almost to my waist for most of my life. Wanted a big change of pace. I'm in the creative fields, so if people don't want a person with pink hair working with them, they probably don't want me in the first place.

>>93219837
What, no "How to Train Your Dragon" edits yet?
>>
>>93218472
Joe and Ryan don't strike me as particularly intelligent.

Still annoyed at the lack of resolution for Joyce and Amber's character arcs regarding Ryan.
>>
>>93219848
Blue hair is fine, her taste in clothing is not.
>>
>>93220375
Willis chooses not to write them as intelligent.

>Still annoyed at the lack of resolution for Joyce and Amber's character arcs regarding Ryan.
We'll get a resolution for Amber eventually, since you can't exactly shank a man and get away with it. Joyce, meanwhile, supposedly had her resolution when she slashed Ryan in the face with a glass, fizzed out and fainted from roofies, and spent the next month with PTSD.
>>
>>93217482
So not only is he a dickless, ukelele-playing turbo-beta but of course he likes cartoon songs from the same things Willis likes.
>>
Well, I posted that review I was working on. Key points:

>Props itself up on social issues
>Unpleasant characters (who are meant to be likeable)
>Time moves unbelievably slow; plots take years to unfold
>Deus Ex Machina and warping of physics treated as legitimate ways to resolve serious plots
>Humor forced into dramatic moments do nothing but ruin all tension, every time
>Boring, predictable, unrealistic villains
>Art degrades constantly throughout the comic until mistakes and inconsistencies are the norm

Among other things. Wonder what kind of response I'll get, it's a highly PC site.
>>
>>93219403
I thought the same thing. If Joe posts his ratings to an RSS feed then how is it a self-evaluation?
>>
>>93223377
the hell are those error messages
what site are you posting it to ?
>>
>>93220375
Old Universe Joe was basically Forge, tho who knows if that means he's still a good engineer in Do A.
>>
>>93218530
And I'm going to stick riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up here on the fridge! Sorry, but the anatomy is pretty bad
>>93219140
God, this was so fucking self-indulgent
>>
File: image-1.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image-1.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>93218530
In other news, 90% of their images are reblogs of other peoples' work and they're begging for $5 commissions.
http://musician15painter.tumblr.com/archive/filter-by/photo

> stop helping, captcha
>>
>>93219866
>>93218559
>magenta hair

Wew I bet you totally aren't the kind of girl to threaten to cut your boyfriend's cock off
>>
>>93219557
this is implying Ralph doesn't do what any male with his power set would in the bedroom

I am not okay with this
>>
>>93227016
Uh, no. Not even close.
>>
>>93217295
Carla would want to be rated a 10. Based on her looks alone (no knowledge of personality or her trans status), what would you rate her?
>>
>>93229108
Well she's tall and fit and wears a lot of skimpy girly stuff so I'd personally rate her pretty high. Plus she's got that Mary approved haircut. 8 or 9 I guess.
>>
>>93229108
The problem is that we don't actually know how she looks compared to other real-world human beings. There are no photorealistic illustrations of her. We can only compare her to others in the Dumbiverse.

And as it stands, I don't know how attractive any of the characters are, partly because of subjectivity and partly because they all uggos.
>>
File: 1489604524803.jpg (100KB, 900x585px) Image search: [Google]
1489604524803.jpg
100KB, 900x585px
>>93225972
Actually the anatomy is how I requested it.
>>
>>93226977
Why else do you think I commissioned them if not because they were doing it for $5?
>>
>>93229277
Are you implying that there's some equivalent of new donk city in DOA where the people are actually drawn realistically?
>>
>>93217359
I will never get tired of Willis trolling everyone by deliberately stringing out the resolution to cliffhangers.
>>
>>93229277
Throughout the total history of Willis' characters, I think there is one girl who is explicitly supposed to look bad and it's "Other Rachel." It's kinda like that one Scary Go Round strip where they lampshade that pretty much every female character is attractive by having a few try to fight their way into the strip.

Billie is pretty much the closest a character has come to being called unattractive by someone else, but it was just Ruth insulting her because she couldn't deal with how hot she found her. Oh and that one time that Ryan said no one would ever want to rape Amazi-Girl, I guess.

You've gotta look past Willis' often shitty art. The grotesque foreheads and truncated hands.
>>
Kek, I knew they'd react poorly to my review on TvTropes but I didn't think it'd take them so little time to formulate a response...

Which amounted to copy-pasting my review and replacing the negative words with positives. Shows me, I suppose.

I wonder if they realize just how many people who hate Willis are former fans he and his gibbering fanbase drove away with their toxic stupidity and inability to comprehend the value of criticism.
>>
>>93230769
>it's a highly PC site
>TV Tropes

I should have guessed. Those people are the fucking worst.
>>
>>93230921

I already sparred with them during the Mary-Carla Wars, and brought up issues regarding Sal and the whole "Did Willis just equate robbery, illiteracy, and poor academic skills to being "born black"?" thing, and the results weren't pretty. Basically a bunch of "Wow I can't believe you're saying these things, bigot" and no real substance.

My review:

>In summary, a slipshod comic whose popularity is propped up purely by awareness of social issues. If one judges quality by how many minority demographics are shoved into a work, you might be satisfied. If one judges based on actual quality, of plot, characters, art, humor, etc. then you'll find yourself wanting.
>Characters are most often unpleasant and abrasive, a failed attempt at quirkiness or relatability that only creates a cast full of Jerkass.
>Villains are boring, predictable, unrealistic, and without any motivation beyond "I am an evil white cis (generally) male and I live purely to oppress people".
>Time within the comic crawls at a snails pace; a day's worth of events takes months to cover, and as such, major plots take years to resolve.
>Deus ex Machina abounds and physics are ignored to solve problems which are beforehand treated (somewhat) seriously.
>Forced humor is thrown haphazardly into dramatic moments, constantly, thus destroying all tension in the scene.
>Characters are often not given agency to solve the personal conflicts they face, making the conclusions dull and unsatisfying when someone with no emotional investment is shoehorned in to save the day.
>The story seems to change according to audience whim and reaction, provoking retcons among other inconsistencies.
>The art degrades steadily throughout the comic until inconsistencies, mistakes, and outright ugly visuals are the norm.
>All the examples why this comic is a waste of time could fill several reviews. Awful dialogue, hideously unfunny jokes, often-demented morals, the list goes on.
>Skip it.
>>
>>93231050
I'm not even sure how you dismiss/flip all of these. But I honestly don't feel like arguing with people who are too in on the strip. I try not to be overly negative any more here either. But I'll never stop pointing out the bad hands.
>>
>>93229499
Well, it's your money you're wasting, so I guess I can't tell you how to live your life.
>>93230769
>>93231050
>>93232268
TV Tropes' pages for webcomics tend to be gigantic hugboxes. I distinctly recall trying to put critical tropes on the pages for Subnormality and Least I Could Do, and those got taken off almost instantly for "negativity".

Damn it, I remember when TV Tropes was fun. Sure, there were a lot of anime used for examples, but you could find some really well-written stuff here and there, and the Funny/Heartwarming/Awesome/Tearjerker Moments actually invoked those emotions... nowadays it's just "here's a small moment that vaguely corresponds to this feeling".
>>
File: TrollECCC2011_DavidWillis.jpg (35KB, 362x400px) Image search: [Google]
TrollECCC2011_DavidWillis.jpg
35KB, 362x400px
>>93230769
>>93231050
>TV Tropes
You know that most of the people who would even be on TV Tropes looking at Willis's shit were probably only there because Willis himself is absolutely OBSESSED with the place and gushes about it at every opportunity, right?

It's like the only forum that he has for his shit that he doesn't actively have control over deletion (as far as I know, but I wouldn't put it past him to try and be a mod there), so his fans are uber-rabid to try and maintain the same echo-chamber he has constructed on his own sites.

I commend your stomach for bullshit to even attempt take on the hoards of sycophants there, but that fight will always be futile.
>>
>>93231050
>>93232961
TVTropes has a literal, "you can't say anything bad about a work," policy. The Mein Kampf page is hilariously polite.

>>93230516
Assuming that the characters look loosely like they would in real life, Other Rachel probably wouldn't look too bad.
>>
>>93225972
>>93232961
>Minifig
>complaining about how a drawing looks
wow
>>
>>93217359
>It has been ten days since Amber killed a man.

We

Don't

know

that.
>>
>>93233254
Well, there's a big surprise
>>93233317
Oh, is this the "only chefs can comment on food" argument? I haven't seen that in a while...
>>
>>93233137
>Willis himself is absolutely OBSESSED with the place
jesus fucking christ

Provide links of Willis sucking TvT's flaccid feminine penis
>>
>>93227028
He might be using it "too much" though and not/or not done enough prepping.
>>
File: 2017-06-04-wellyikes.png (334KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-04-wellyikes.png
334KB, 1000x333px
>>93233414
Knowing how Willis portrays mental illness, we can only assume that a spray of blood means outright death.
>>
>>93233656
After a few minutes of Googling, I might have been mistaken. I know I first heard of the site after it was linked in a Shortpacked! comment section, so I guess my perspective was skewed. Willis himself is rather cool on the site, once saying on Tumblr:
>TVTropes can be an interesting tool, but a lot of that is negated by how much shit on that site is just plain made up.

Certainly his fans reference it a lot if you search shortpacked.com or dumbingofage.com for "tvtropes", it turns up several hundred hits.
>>
>>93234066
>>TVTropes can be an interesting tool, but a lot of that is negated by how much shit on that site is just plain made up.
It's not even a useful tool because it's only curated by fanfiction writers convinced that a thing which has happened twice in recorded history is a trope needing a cute name.

No seriously, I tried using it as a resource and instead got something more like MY FAVORITE CLICHES, LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
>>
>>93234191
Plus, the site overall has been skewed towards avoiding conflict for the longest time. I think it began when they had a Sonichu article that they wiped of any negative content entirely.
>>
>>93234298
> the site devoted to literary mechanisms
> averse to the one that defines fiction, conflict

insert meme response here
>>
File: SPLRCH_vs_SPKOW.png (367KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
SPLRCH_vs_SPKOW.png
367KB, 800x682px
>>93233936
Lest no one forget about Willis's first internal conflict about Ryan, blood, and his snowflake fanbase:
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/11386176918/this-was-the-original-version-of-the-final-panel
>>
>>93233656

They feed off one another

The "Perverse Sexual Lust" trope was created because he took a poll back in the day asking why people were so interested in Joyce.
>>
>>93234883
I'm looking for that post in the ItsWalky.Tumblr archive to see what he posted the day afterwards, and I found this: http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/30940567314/millere2773-itswalky-failedblackwoman
>>
>>93234066
>TVTropes can be an interesting tool, but a lot of that is negated by how much shit on that site is just plain made up.
As someone with a kind of terrible memory, a site that sort of paraphrases events and gives the tropes a bunch of cutesy/silly specific names is exactly the opposite of what I need. I can't believe the site guidelines don't have a requirement to link to a script or screenshot or use more direct quotes. Most of my visits are just unsatisfying.
>>
>>93235048
PSL was wayyy before polls. That phrase is Nightstar Zoo level ancient.
>>
>>93235048
> The author wished to know the reason behind the slightly loopy church-girl character Joyce Brown's popularity
So do I, she's fucking middling at everything
>>
>>93235484

I can see the appeal in invading holy lands, so to speak. Having done so before, anyway.
>>
>>93235727
When I need to fantasize about fucking a blue eyed retard I'll go back to Star Vs.
>>
>>93235341
>Nightstar Zoo
Dare I ask?

>>93235484
Basic girl-next-door setup with just enough psycho thrown in that'd leave you to believe that she could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch then make you apple pie but wouldn't set you on fire while you sleep because she doesn't believe the woman listed in your phone as "Mom" is actually your mother.
>>
>>93235911
>dare I ask?
It was the only place to discuss It's Walky! back in the day, since Keenspot didn't exactly have a robust commenting system in place...and by 'not robust' I mean it had none.

The IW! forums are either forever locked or perma-deleted, since even after I recovered my account a year or so ago, I couldn't access them.

The best I can get is a few snapshots of the main forum page on Wayback. The oldest one being from 2003, where you can see that IW! was the biggest sub-forum on the site by far...
https://web.archive.org/web/20031203020156/http://zoo.nightstar.net
>>
>>93236080
Okay, when I googled it I got a bunch of furry and Schlock Mercenary results.
>>
File: walkyturn1.jpg (171KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
walkyturn1.jpg
171KB, 900x750px
>>93236080
>>93236128
I'm gonna have some fun trudging through this dead forum. Apparently Willis had plans to make Walky statuettes.
>>
File: walkyturn2.jpg (152KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
walkyturn2.jpg
152KB, 900x750px
>>93236180
For posterity, here's 2/3.
>>
File: walkyturn3.jpg (112KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
walkyturn3.jpg
112KB, 900x750px
>>93236223
And 3/3.
>>
>>93236180
>>93236223
>>93236244
That's honestly not a bad style for 3d.
>>
>>93228470
Hey all I'm saying is that weirdly colored hair on girls isn't referred to as "warning coloration" for no reason.
>>
>>93235193
This angers me way more than I thought it would. Willis is completely ignoring non-physical abuse. The last part where he talks about how Dorothy is less imposing than Walky... that's not the only measure of feeling afraid to say no.

My ex-boyfriend was shorter than me, but the majority of the abuse had nothing to do with his size. It's about demeanor and attitude and behavior. He scared me because he was emotionally volatile and I didn't know when something was going to get taken out on me verbally.
>>
>>93235484
>he doesn't find joyce endearing
>>
File: psl.png (48KB, 1894x251px) Image search: [Google]
psl.png
48KB, 1894x251px
>>93235048
>>93235341
Oh, huh, well I was wrong. I found an archived post of Willy's that references said poll about PSL, even though it was an ancient Keenspot poll from pre-2003
https://web.archive.org/web/20071020170309/http://zoo.nightstar.net/viewtopic.php?t=2881
>>
>>93236416

Didn't Willis post a bunch of lewds to that forum?
>>
>>93236180
>I'm gonna have some fun trudging through this dead forum
Bonus points if you can find any early flirting between Willis and Maggie (a.k.a. Crazie Sunshine) since this forum is where they met.
>>
>>93236451
Probably? They would have just been barely lewds at that point though.

He was probably still fapping under several layers of bedsheets at that point so his dead grandma wouldn't see him masturbate.
>>
>>93236702
Psssh. That's weak.

How do I even know Walky is thrusting without 10,000 speed-lines penetrating every layer of art and paneling?

And do people REALLY have sex without screaming "HNNGAAARRRHHHHHHHGGGGGG" at the top of their lungs? I think not.
>>
File: DorothysBestJacobImpression.png (29KB, 95x212px) Image search: [Google]
DorothysBestJacobImpression.png
29KB, 95x212px
>>93236702
RIP, famiglia.
>>
>>93236777
>not having recorded wilhelm scream to play just as you come
>>
>>93236777

>And do people REALLY have sex without screaming "HNNGAAARRRHHHHHHHGGGGGG" at the top of their lungs? I think not.

With respect to your trips that's the only sex worth having
>>
>>93236350
Haven't actually heard of that. I'll have to look it up. I have a boyfriend, and he's always encouraged me to try different stuff with my hair. I don't think I would have ever even tried red or anything if it hadn't been for him.

I'm going to take your comments as concern and say thank you.
>>
>>93222738
>you can't exactly shank a man and get away with it.
People do all the time.
>>
>>93236991
So what you're saying is you're normal and your boyfriend is a man of discerning taste/likes anime?
>>
>>93236905

I'm still here

The only thing I don't like about that pic is Joyce's demented feet, tbqh

... well not the only thing but I like it a whole not more than his "Pornmaster" shit.
>>
>>93237203
Oh, good! I got banned for a lewd in one of these threads so I assumed the worst.
>>
File: pornlord.png (20KB, 797x211px) Image search: [Google]
pornlord.png
20KB, 797x211px
>>93237203
>Pornmaster
*ahem* That's "the esteemed Infamous Webcartoonist and Internet Pornlord David Willis" to you, sir.
>>
>>93236991
Don't get too worked up about it. Shitty people use things like colored hair or tattoos to indicate they're "different" despite colored hair and tattoos being mainstream as hell.
>>
>>93237202
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily normal, but you're accurate about my boyfriend. We love to watch anime together, and I go to anime cons every so often if I can spare the cash.

>>93237203
Snagged it for the lewd Doc.

>>93237244
They seem more likely to ban if you do it more than once in a thread. If you do it after your first deletion, it comes off as rule dodging.

>>93237313
I'm more concerned about the "Cult of Willis" than the pornlord thing, honestly.

>>93237321
True that. Thanks! I'm still young-ish, so I figure I might as well get mileage out of that while I can.
>>
>>93237313
He won't be a real pornlord until he does porn of Carla and/or Joyce.
>>
>>93237358
Don't worry about being young enough to do it, I've seen grandmas rock unnaturally colored hair.

>>93237409
Maybe a basic-tier pornlord. If he wants to be a true pornlord he'd need to stop adhering to canonical pairings and sexuality.
>>
>>93237507
>basic-tier pornlord
Porn-duke? Porn-knight?
>>
>>93238700
He's a pornvassal at best.
>>
>>93238700
Porn-baron. Knight's aren't nobles and a duke is so high up he'd be needing to do something like AmberxSal to reach that level.
>>
>>93238792
Please, he's an unwitting porn-jester.
>>
File: 3.png (342KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
342KB, 1000x333px
Goddamnit.

It's another "thoroughly ruin one of my old characters forever" story-arc.
>>
>>93238933
>Hey look a notice that this guy might've committed rape
>Eh, maybe I'll share it, I dunno, seems suspect.

>This guy thinks I'm some level of attractive.
>WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT!
>>
File: augh.jpg (9KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
augh.jpg
9KB, 240x250px
>>93238933
Boooooring.
Can we get back to the stabbing, please?
>>
>>93238933
It's been eleven days since Amber put Ryan into Schrodinger's Box and stabbed it with a knife.

But yeah, if this chapter's title being "The 'Do' List" wasn't a sign that this story was about Joe being knocked down a peg, I take it that this is the shove-it-in-your-face moment. Or, in Blake Snyder's terms as detailed in "Save The Cat", this is the Theme Statement of Joe's story arc.

To put it more simply: I'm going to assume that Willis read some article about catcalling three months ago or so, or some conversation about sexism came up during the Jonathan Coulton cruise, and Willis was like "Hey, I'll take a stab at that, just like how Amber took a stab at both Sal and Ryan."
>>
>>93238933
The weird split between panels 3 and 4 is bugging me. Why the hell did he draw Ugly Rachel as though she's half-in one panel and half-in another when she's in two different locations in each one? This is one of the worst examples of sequential art I think Willis has ever done.
>>
>>93238933
Does Willis like to pretend that Women don't ever rate guys?

It's supposed to be "choose" in the last panel, unless he meant he did sometime in the past.

>>93239040
All he had to do was draw her approaching from the left. Panels 4 and 5 should also be merged, if for no other reason than you can fit everything there while adding variety to your layout.
>>
>>93238933
>>93239019
Another thing to consider: If this is such a feminist utopia, why do they care what a random guy on the Internet thinks of them?

Further, how do they even know that Joe is the guy who has a list?

Further further, what is Joe doing that allows these women to identify themselves? Is Joe outright naming them and attaching a picture and measurements? You'd think Ryan would be a subscriber or somethOh my god, there's gonna be a twist where Ryan is subscribed to The Do List.
>>
File: 2017-01-26-boyspizzaretreat[1].png (364KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-26-boyspizzaretreat[1].png
364KB, 1000x333px
>>93238933
I'm pretty sure Joe also gave Dorothy access to the RSS feed, but while looking I noticed that there's a password for it. So I wonder if it was Raidah or Rachel, because I don't think he gave Rachel the password. Maybe they all got together and shared it?

>>93239040
She's "Other Rachel" you sexist shitlord!!!!

Honestly I still think it's so hypocritical that he literally refers to her as that because she's not the hot one, canonically.
>>
>>93227028
He can't do it as well as Plasticman.
>>
File: 2010-10-15-prediction.png (208KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
2010-10-15-prediction.png
208KB, 900x300px
>>93239142
I have this old strip from the first day on campus.
>>
File: LOL Game of Thrones.jpg (47KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
LOL Game of Thrones.jpg
47KB, 536x536px
>>93239019
>It's been eleven days since Amber put Ryan into Schrodinger's Box and stabbed it with a knife.

I like this.
>>
>>93238933
So joe is a sexist pig for rating women, but mainly for rating them poorly, despite the fact that they are STRONG WOMEN who don't need no man not care what they think?
This feels like an elaborate parody or something.
Also, I'm pretty sure at least one of the characters on that wide shot is a lesbian.
>>
>>93239102
When I posted in the comment section and asserted that everyone, at some level, rates based on appearance there were MANY people who said "What, I've never done that before. I would never mentally assign a mental number based on attractiveness. That's weird"
>>
>>93239248
the site comment section is as delusional as willis
>>
>>93239245
Rating women is bad, anon. If you objectify women like that then they'll have self esteem issues or something.
How would you feel if people went around rating you? Probably not much because no one really cares. Even if you do take it personally people will tell you to grow a pair.
>>
>>93238933
Other Rachel, the bridge of your nose starts below your eyeball while the tip of your nose is on the same plane as the temple of your glasses while you appear to have a severe case of maxillary prognathism. If anything Joe is being kind by giving you a three.

For a fun time, look up Cornelia de Lange syndrome and notice the similarities between those afflicted and Other Rachel.
>>
>>93239245
>>93239248
>>93239316
The actual issue should be that Joe has no tact and not only openly rates women to their faces, but that he also shares a list of his ratings with reasons for each rating.
>>
>>93236390
No, I don't. Her being the only optimist in this shitfest doesn't redeem her.
>>
>>93239316
There is just something vaguely hypocritical about the various NPCs being offended not by the idea itself, but by the quality of their personal rating.
>>
>>93239248
I don't really rate with numbers, I don't for most things though, but I definitely can say whom I find attractive or not. I'd be more likely to be able to describe exactly what I find hot about a person than giving them some arbitrary number (basically, read the review don't just look at the score).

However, I don't think that's normal behaviour. In general, people fucking love numbers and to rank things that way and pit things against each other though, so I would be shocked if they don't do it.
>>
>On some level they were better than the lewds he posts now, tbqh imo
On every level. The anatomy's better, he put more work into shading, and only the toes/fingers are as usual awful.
>>
File: amplifying.png (52KB, 180x333px) Image search: [Google]
amplifying.png
52KB, 180x333px
>>93238933
why are there so many people wandering around the lobby at night? assumption based on the windows

and does joe really need an entire chapter/arc/whatever dedicated to knocking him down a peg? i know willis loves to virtue signal but it seems excessive for something that could be accomplished in a few strips.
prediction: it ends not with joe learning any sort of lesson and growing as a person, but being humiliated and some other consequence
>>
>>93239696
Probably an error, as a few strips ago it was morning.

So what you're saying is JoexMary?

>>93239476
Wasn't there an It's Walky! plot where Joe has a freakout that he might have started online dating Other Rachel but in the end everything turns out okay when he finds out he's actually been talking to Rachel?
>>
>>93239754
Uh this is completely from memory. I'm sure there's a Walkypedia article about Rachel or Joe that might explain this better.

But, yeah, he connected with her online over a love of engineering and robots and didn't know how to deal with the idea that he wanted a relationship with someone emotionally and mentally that he wasn't attracted to physically.

He talked to Other Rachel a couple times in person and maybe even dated her once or twice, but couldn't go through with it. In the end I think he rushed to his computer when SEMME was getting closed down and sent a message that he would get with her, and then found out that it was Rachel. They had interacted before at a grocery store, and he came onto her or insulted her, not knowing that she was a smart girl with credentials who just happened to be working in a grocery store. So all his assumptions and hangups kinda came together and... he got with the girl of his dreams who was super hot. Oh, also I think Robin had input and wasn't a complete cartoon character at the moment.

I think Other Rachel was a SEMME agent while Rachel wasn't. But, she's hot and important, so she takes precedence. Forever.
>>
>>93233611
You can't eat art, my dude.
>>
>>93239980
Oh and then at some point Rachel got killed by the dimension hopping ninjas, except it got changed to her being sent to another dimension, and she came back late in Shortpacked as a huge badass. Joe became a wreck during the interim, but he wasn't really the focus of any comics at the time so it didn't come up much.
>>
>>93239754
>So what you're saying is JoexMary?
never thought about that before, but it could work
although i prefer MaryxCarla
>>
>>93238933
I like how the girl in Panel 3 reacts to Joe as if his ranking of her appeared on a screen appeared behind Joe's head. That is the only explanation for her fresh outrage and disbelief.
>>
>>93239696
I think that >>93239120 has nailed this one. It's going to turn out that Ryan has been using Joe's Do List to help him target women and that'll be the catalyst for Joe learning the error of his ways.
>>
>>93240078
Everyone prefers MaryxCarla. The real question is, how would JoexCarla play out?
>>
>>93232961
It ain't wasted money just because you don't share my fetish.
Plus it was only $5.
>>
File: 035.png (346KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
035.png
346KB, 1000x333px
Found another strip with the list in it (this time a bonus).

A decent gag, but there's something incongruous about Joe having to look up Joyce to remember that she's a crazy face-punching b that he would never consider banging, which is the only interaction he wants to have with women.
>>
>>93238933
I don't read this comic
How did they figure this out? Did that man's diary leak?
>>
>>93238933
What is it like living in a world where you can't admit that some women (or men) are just more attractive than others? I almost fell into that mental prison a few years back when I was deep in internet lefty circles but the mental self-flagellation I was expected to engage in for any "impure thoughts" never quite took before I eventually fucked off from that.
>>
>>93239040
Seconded. He is really awful at showing movement and time passing and... well, everything else.

>>93239102
Most of the women I know don't use numbers in terms of discussing attractiveness. They're more descriptive than just saying a number and hoping someone agrees with them.

>>93239120
>Further, how do they even know that Joe is the guy who has a list?
Joe is egotistical enough to include his own picture on his list. I have no doubt of this.

>>93239142
How does Joe have Raidah's number? He's clearly going to text it to her. Or maybe Facebook messaging? Weird.

>>93239142
>Honestly I still think it's so hypocritical that he literally refers to her as that because she's not the hot one, canonically.
He tries to frame it as the other girls meeting Other Rachel second, so they have to give her a new name. Why not just call her by her last name? Or include her last initial? (Like Rachel A. and Rachel F. or something.)

You're right, but he'll never admit that.

>>93238933
Eerie how all these characters we've never seen before (girl up in foreground, girl at computer on the right, girl getting her mail or something?) all show up when we're introducing a plotline about Joe's sexism. They are the only two men in the entire room. Amazing how that works.
>>
>>93219140
And yet Willis paid Moot actual money for adspace for DoA a long time ago.
>>
>>93239245
Because it's crappy to reduce an entire person--someone with feelings, dreams, a whole life you know nothing about--to a simple number on a system that no one can really agree on. One man's 8 is another man's 3. It's inconsistent and rude.

Women are constantly criticized for their appearance literally everywhere we look.

A person is more than a number. And if you're going to reduce a person to a number, you should probably never tell them what that number is. It's objectifying and creepy.

>>93239476
I think the point is that the first part of it that hurts is the insult. It takes a while to process stuff that affects the self-esteem. They're focusing on the hurt before they can discuss the rest of it. Mandy was annoyed with Joe for rating her, while Rachel was upset that her rating was a low number. She'll have time to process the idea of being reduced to only a number, but right now, she's hurt because--like usual--she's being judged and insulted for her appearance, and especially that it's being done by someone she's almost certainly never spoken to.
>>
>>93240810
He has an RSS feed (which I don't think any college freshman would use) where he rates women he wants to have sex with. It requires a password for some reason, but he shares it quite regularly.

>>93240373
He didn't need to look her up. He was re-evaluating his decision to possibly talk to her.

Oh, who am I kidding? Willis included that to take up space and to show us Joyce's rating since we hadn't seen it before.
>>
>>93240985
Everyone is judged by their appearance by everyone with functional eyes. So what if it's a bit of a simplification to rank their physical appearance with a number? Should we stop doing it to movies? You don't know how many people's hopes and artistic visions and passions and money go into a movie but it'll still have a score out of ten. Even if no-one can agree on it and it's all personal opinion, you can't stop people from having them or guilt them out of doing so.

I rate guys all the time. I know it's mostly subjective but you can't deny that someone like Chris Pine would be higher than Steve Buscemi on most normal people's lists even if they don't use numbers.
>>
>>93239142
I don't think it was Raidah. Joe finds Sarah attractive, so she probably has a high rating. Raidah would only release all this information if it had a chance of hurting Sarah.

>>93242019
That's true enough. I actually find it difficult to rate anything, because our ideas of what we like and why we like it change all the time. If you rate Movie A as a 7 and Movie B also as a 7, would you compare their 7s? What makes them the same level of quality? Why does Movie C get a 9? What makes it that much better than A and B?

That's something I've always struggled with, and I certainly don't blame people for doing what makes sense to them. I mean, it sucks, and I'm not a fan of the system, but I think--at the very least--that you should not share the numbers with the person being rated. That's an underrated courtesy that should be considered more often.

I've spent so much of my life being judged for my appearance. I had gaps in my teeth as a child, so all the other kids thought I was ugly. I had braces for over 2 years, and everyone thought I was ugly. I got my braces off, and suddenly, I was pretty. I make friends with tons of guys, and suddenly, I'm pretty. I get a boyfriend, and suddenly, no one even looks my way. I gain weight, and people look down on me, even though they know it was caused by a medication. I look really young for my age, so I get treated like a teenager, despite having a postgraduate degree.

I know life isn't fair, but I've spent so much time being judged for what I look like that I have a hard time getting behind any system like that.
>>
>>93242107
See, that's the thing, no normal person makes the numbers available to people that publicly, especially people that you're interested in. Putting it on a list and giving tons of people access is not a good idea at all. Usually, this stuff just comes up when talking shit with friends and, usually, we have a chance to explain ourselves and our personal preference when doing so.
Although, I don't bitch about other people's appearances nearly as much as I do about this shitty webcomic or shitty movies.
>>
>>93233254
>TVTropes has a literal, "you can't say anything bad about a work," policy. The Mein Kampf page is hilariously polite.
what the fuck
>>
>>93238933

This seems a complete 180 from Joe's earlier depiction.

Doubt it has anything to do with his snowflake readers deciding a sexually-charged cis male offended them. I bet Willis had this planned all along.
>>
>>93238933

She shouldn't be so touchy, it's not like she was born with shit-colored hair, she chose to dye it that awful color.
>>
>>93218530
Jaysus, that's awful.
>>
Has Joe even had all that much sex? The only two women we know (to the best of my knowledge) that Joe has successfully banged are Penny (who is a slut) and Roz (who is also a slut).

And I don't mean to slut-shame, but Roz and Penny are both expressly displayed as being open to multiple sexual partners in the pursuit of raw sexual pleasure. That is, they're sluts. And apparently Joe can't do better than sluts.
>>
>>93244474
Maybe he just wants sluts?
Why would he bother with immature kids like the 3, who can't even brush aside some subjective opinion, when he can fuck a hot slut teacher no questions asked or a condom lady that never forgets protection?
>>
>>93244592
I question his sexual magnitude as he advertises himself. After all, he's so self-confident and prideful of his prowess that he openly names himself as the bearer of a "Do" list.

But I'm going to bet that this is part of this story's twist, that Joe has barely had as much sex as he advertises, and the only people he bangs are people who put out for others, and also Joe's gonna cry because nobody will ever love him for who he is, and When will the mirror reflect who I truly am inside?
>>
>>93240985
This all sounds like something a 3 would say.
>>
>>93244611
Then starts going to church every sunday and marries joyce.
I am completely okay with this.

By the way I think there is at least one other woman he fucked, but I might very well be wrong.
>>
File: IMG_1351.jpg (75KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1351.jpg
75KB, 900x750px
>>93242019
>I know it's mostly subjective but you can't deny that someone like Chris Pine would be higher than Steve Buscemi on most normal people's lists even if they don't use numbers.
>implying Steve Buscemi isn't a sex god
i'm a straight man but i'd let Buscemi Pulp my anal Fiction in a heartbeat
>>
>>93244419
Still has better drawn proportions than any of Willis' women.
>>
>>93246223
I guess so, but that's not really much of an accomplishment.
>>
>>93244714
Numbers are subjective. But I got a thicc booty, and I get enough attention for that to last a lifetime.
>>
>>93239993
SAYS YOU!
>>93240259
Fair enough.
>>
>>93238933
> pig
WHAT YEAR IS IT
>>
What annoys me is that Willis is (and this storyline is what's making me think of it, obviously, supplicating himself with this story: look at him, he's David Willis and he's a Right-Thinking Male! It's annoying because you can see his sexual interests/preferences all throughout the comic: it's littered with short chubby girls and lesbians. But because the circles he runs in and the circle he's cultivated will not accept admitting it, he has to hide it all under a veneer of progressive reasoning and shallow feminism instead of just admitting "hey I like these type of girls and like drawing them".

The reasoning is flimsy, everyone knows it, but you're not allowed to admit it. As much of a shit as Diaz is, that whole deal where he drew the MC from his dumb comic in an obviously sexual manner but had to defend it on feminist grounds (and then got mocked for it) wouldn't (and shouldn't) have happened if the environment didn't practically demand that admitting to drawing cheesecake because male sexuality is haram.
>>
>>93247370
>Fair Enough
Thank you.
>>
>>93247932

I always had a pet theory that Willis actively forces himself to be attracted to shortstacks or thicc girls for the sake of subverting "oppressive beauty standards" or something of that sort.

There's not much evidence for it but it seems like something he'd do
>>
>>93248557
>actively forces himself to be attracted to shortstacks

We don't need casuals
>>
>>93247483
Depends on how anal you are. Thanks to the sliding time scale, the comic simultaneously exists in a stagnant 2010 and an ever-moving 2017.
>>
>>93238933
I'm glad we are focusing on this plot over Amber stabbing Rapin Ryan. This is so important.
>>
>>93248869
Sort of. It doesn't age well when you look back at the start and see all the outdated references.
>>
>>93250513
That's part of the problem. The other part is that the references firmly plant the source material for those references as existing, which means that in the course of two-and-a-half to three months, we've seen the premiere of the Nintendo 3DS, Pokemon Go, Jurassic World, Moana, and several other things I don't actually know if they're referenced or not.

And again, all of this in the span of three months or less.
>>
>>93249178
No, what's important is fanart of Amber tenderly milking her swollen breasts.
>>
>>93251249
I'm sure that Amber will be carrying her brand new Switch around soon enough too, unless she's too busy beating her way to the top of a women's prison food chain.
>>
>>93251442
Really, we need more fanart of them with big breasts.
>>
>>93233414
If a college student staying in bed for most of a day equals suicidal depression then some blood from off panel equals carved up like Thanks giving Turkey. The logic is undeniable
>>
>>93251565
That doujin of Amber and Mike needed him squeezing her jugs until his fingers were running white
>>
>>93252330
I guess Danny and Amber didn't work out because she needed someone just as violent and sick as she is.
>>
>>93253302
That means that Dorothy was horrified not by Amber killing Ryan, but by her raping him as he lay bleeding on the steps of the dorm.
>>
>>93238933
A guy is objectifying women, that's cute. But was there an actual murder on campus, or...
>>
>>93217295

Why's she mad an 8's pretty good.
>>
>>93254118
Murder or not, there logically should a bunch of shit going down right now involving Ryan. Either the target of a social media manhunt is now missing/dead or was arrested after attempting to attack student.
>>
File: RozRatesAllWomen.png (35KB, 133x315px) Image search: [Google]
RozRatesAllWomen.png
35KB, 133x315px
>>93254207
>>
File: 1496703311465.png (38KB, 103x222px) Image search: [Google]
1496703311465.png
38KB, 103x222px
>>93255789
>>
>>93255789
This bothers me. All women can't be 10, by any metric you use.
>>
>>93256237
Shitty haircut aside, Becky isn't supposed to be that unattractive, especially if you're into bottom heavy girls.
>>
>>93256584
Her facial features and hair are inconsistent. I suspect she looks like a constantly morphing lump.
>>
File: tumblr_nlmq29NiwU1qkinreo1_500.png (56KB, 500x98px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlmq29NiwU1qkinreo1_500.png
56KB, 500x98px
>>93256807
Inconsistent? Are you saying Willis wasn't entirely accurate when he said that he wouldn't improvise Becky's hair anymore TWO YEARS AGO?
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/114338397052/at-least-five-months-too-late-a-few-minutes-ago-i
>>
>>93256237
>>93256584
>>93256807
>>93256977
What's the point of talking about Becky's hair? It actually GREW when she got her $20 haircut, so she's obviously magic.
>>
>>93256977
God even in that set (that I think was Willis trying to figure out how his art should look?) the profile is fucked up.

I think Willis doesn't understand that people have a brow then (generally) their head goes straight up or back gently sloping until it meets the top of the head. Instead he just makes the whole eye to hair part of the head a random curve and calls it a day. Facial features are a thing beyond the ones you put on a smiley face.

I think the nose is way to sharply convex as well, but I'd settle for not getting those bulbous formless forheads.
>>
>>93257308
Er I mean too sharply concave. Basically there's no nasal bridge. You can still have the nose end in that cute round bit and deemphasize the bridge, in that picture, the bridge is gone.
>>
>>93257308
>>93257428
Look at Other Rachel in profile here >>93238933, her forehead is set back at least an inch.
>>
>>93251630
>some blood from off panel equals carved up like Thanks giving Turkey.

Again, you don't know that.

>>The wild speculation is undeniable

Fixed to more accurately portray the scenario.
>>
File: 1497661585738.png (301KB, 984x392px) Image search: [Google]
1497661585738.png
301KB, 984x392px
>>93256977
I get that this was a model sheet for hair and not the head underneath it but jesus h christ even in cartoons a jawline and chin do not morph into a man's when seen in profile
>>
File: you fucking retard.gif (131KB, 984x392px) Image search: [Google]
you fucking retard.gif
131KB, 984x392px
>>93257308
>brow
I don't draw and even I knew everything he fucked up here

animated for emphasis
>>
>>93259882
>>93259529
>I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! I AM A [spoiler/] LESBIAN !
>>
>>93258868
The burden of proof is upon you to show that Ryan is not dead.
>>
File: MEMES.png (369KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
MEMES.png
369KB, 1000x333px
Tonight, Danny reaches deep into his black soul, and yanks out a 10 year old stale meme to taunt the friend that was just really concerned about his well being.

It's almost amusing how his fans who absolutely hated Danny a few years ago are lining up to gobble his knob now that he's bisexual and shitting on Joe.
>>
>>93260208
This is a joke that only works in an audiovisual medium. Shame really, it's not a bad joke.
>>
>>93260208
Who would bother to hack it?

I bet Roz got the password and spread it to the whole dorm on every condom wrapper.
>>
>>93260208
Well, at least Willis covered the password protection thing. Are we sure that he's not in these threads?

Also, what's the meme? I'm not up to snuff on my Walkyverse running gags.

Also, is it even possible to password-protect an RSS feed? A blog I can understand, but if the blog is password-protected, then I don't think it would offer an RSS feed at all.

>>93260244
Sometimes I wonder if Willis is writing "Dumbing of Age" on a wild assumption that one day he'll get an HBO series.
>>
>>93260208
...ew. Also, who would hack Joe and give out his to do list.
>>
>>93260260
>what's the meme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXdyD2Yzls
>>
>>93260208
say deathwatch anon, how many days has it been since Rapin' Ryan has been left bleeding out on the quad
>>
>>93260208

What is the Do List FOR? Joe doesn't want the women he rates to see it...except for when he's personally giving them the password, no one else seems to want to read it or care about its existence, Joe keeps bringing it up to others only to be shot down every time with a change of subject...why does he have this? How can the benefits of having his personal rating system written down in print possibly outweigh the downsides?
>>
>>93260265
I'd wager Roz. Willis kinda put Roz in the shitter by sleeping with Joe knowing how he operates when decided to do a "Joe is terrible" plot. By making it Roz Willis can head off any criticism of her.

As for who could hack Joe in general? Danny, Amber, and presumably Carla have the background for it.
>>
>>93260272
Oh, are those the actual chords? I thought it was the usual dramatic noise: http://www.dramabutton.com/

Also, I just realized that Willis is referring to the act of "cybering" as it was in the Golden Age of the Internet. That is, "to cyber" is to perform cybersex with a person over the Internet; in my experience, it was either AOL Instant Messenger or the PMs in Gaia-Online.

>>93260291
I believe we're clocking on twelve days now.

Yeah, yeah, it's been twelve days since Amber created physical contact between "Rapin'" Ryan "The Rhino" and some kind of a combination butterfly and bowie knife.

>>93260310
I think the idea is that Joe is either so confident in his sexual prowess that he openly ranks women based upon physical appearance, or he's very trustworthy of his boner and chooses to express this via The Internet™.

I just wonder if Joe will be shown as dumb enough to actually name women he ranks. Also, I have a feeling that one of this day's subplots will be Joyce learning that she is a Zero in Joe's eyes.
>>
>>93260208
>>93260254
>>93260265
If it got hacked then it's most likely Rachel that did it, seeing as she's the legacy science enthusiast.
>>
>>93260208
>friend that was just really concerned about his well being
He's only "concerned" because he has a Ukulele. Not saying that's it's not a cry for help but I feel like his priorities may be skewed.
>>
>>93260208
>oh no my list i shared online got read by people
Why does he care and what did he share it for? It's more plausible that someone leaked it than someone cracked the password.
>>
>>93260448
no one says helping a friend has to be completely divorced from helping yourself. What would you do if your roommate suddenly decided he wanted to be a poor-man's cover artist for the Steven Universe ost
>>
>>93260448
It's not just the ukulele, it's that his friend suddenly showed an extreme interest in a musical instrument without any prior indication, has integrated the instrument into his public persona to the point he carries it with him everywhere, and has completely changed his wardrobe.

>>93260373
Wouldn't being a zero in Joe's eyes be something Joyce would prefer?
>>
>>93251249
>>93250513
>>93251458

It's basically like a Simpsons setting. It's always Current Year, and it will always be Freshman Year.

Could be worse: Could be Questionable Content, that's perpetually in a 90's coffee house Friends-style setting, despite there being post-singularity tech and AI.
>>
>>93260495
>Wouldn't being a zero in Joe's eyes be something Joyce would prefer?
From one perspective, yes. But she sees Joe as a friend and trusted confidant; even if she doesn't care for her physical appearance in Joe's eyes, it would still be an emotional blow.
>>
>>93260495
>>93260448
It's that weird moment in college when a person decides he or she needs a Thing to identify himself. Danny has become The Hatter, complete with his catch phrase "Hatters gotta Hat."
>>
>>93260373
>Oh, are those the actual chords?
I have no idea, but I know that's what he was referencing. His comment below the strip was
>you know the video
>>
>>93260533
http://www.apronus.com/music/flashpiano.htm
Playing the chords here, it sounds more like the Drama Button than the Dramatic Chipmunk.
>>
>>93260517
Except it's explicitly a ranking of her sexual attractiveness along multiple axes. Plus Joe has already directly told her that he doesn't care about her sexually before acting as her friend and confidant.

>>93260526
My freshman year of college there was this girl who always dressed like a fairy. She fucking rocked the outfit though.
>>
>>93260272
Sounds more like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

I'd say it's more just a common joke than a meme, especially removed from the imagery, but I won't argue with the man himself >>93260533.

The idea that he had to explain a dun dun dun joke is like... baffling.
>>
File: Other Rachel.png (377KB, 774x1033px) Image search: [Google]
Other Rachel.png
377KB, 774x1033px
>>
>>93260589
>Except it's explicitly a ranking of her sexual attractiveness along multiple axes. Plus Joe has already directly told her that he doesn't care about her sexually before acting as her friend and confidant.
Fair enough, though I'm still hedging my bets on a retcon of this notion.

>>93260601
Seeing her like this, she resembles Amber but with a different hair style.
>>
>>93260601

Well, Daria sure aged well.
>>
>>93260601
Fucking Yoto, making the canon ugly chick a cute chubster with dick sucking lips.
>>
>>93260490
My first roommate was in the equestrian club, before mlp was a thing, and I really didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>93260373
>Also, I just realized that Willis is referring to the act of "cybering" as it was in the Golden Age of the Internet. That is, "to cyber" is to perform cybersex with a person over the Internet; in my experience, it was either AOL Instant Messenger or the PMs in Gaia-Online.
He probably thought it was super funny because Trump said it. Although I think that was a debate thing so the 3 month buffer delay doesn't match up.

>>93260601
Cute.
>>
>>93260711
>Although I think that was a debate thing so the 3 month buffer delay doesn't match up.
Nowadays, "cyber" refers to the digital realm, specifically in matters of security and infosec. That is, hacking.
>>
>>93218530
>That filename

Shouldn't it be commission JUST.jpg?
>>
>>93260726
Yes, and we have to get tough on it.
>>
>>93260841
It's hardly doable.
>>
>>93240373
Actually laughed at this one.
>>
>>93260204
> absence of evidence is evidence of absence
that's not how it works fucko
>>
>>93261079
If Ryan isn't dead, then why is everyone awkwardly avoiding talking about how horribly he died?

Checkmate, chuckles.
>>
>>93260260
>Also, is it even possible to password-protect an RSS feed? A blog I can understand, but if the blog is password-protected, then I don't think it would offer an RSS feed at all.
This is literally how 4chan got hacked a few years ago and yes you can put them behind a password but your RSS feed readers need to be able to handle authentication.

> I coded it for you
NO YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKWIT THIS IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY HOW THINGS WORK
THE DAY YOU HAVE YOUR NEXT GRAND MAL AND FINALLY SHIT, PISS AND VOMIT YOURSELF TO DEATH WILL BE MADE A NATIONAL HOLIDAY
>>
>>93261145
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence no matter how many shit retorts you come up with nigger

also he's totes dead
>>
>>93260373
>I just wonder if Joe will be shown as dumb enough to actually name women he ranks.
Clearly he has since the past few days have been nothing but women shouting about how they are offended by the ranking Joe assigned them.
>>
>>93251458
It'll still have an external wifi antenna though.
>>
>>93256977
And that's after talking so much shit about anyone in the comments who said her hair was an unrealistic hairstyle and posting pictures of real people with hairstyles that looked nothing like hers.
>>
>>93261158
>NO YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKWIT THIS IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY HOW THINGS WORK

Do you think RSS feeds are static XML files? Behind every RSS feed is a shitty content management system written in PHP4.
>>
>>93260373
>I just wonder if Joe will be shown as dumb enough to actually name women he ranks. Also, I have a feeling that one of this day's subplots will be Joyce learning that she is a Zero in Joe's eyes.

"It's because I think of you as a friend that I would never have sex with you."

There, done. Frankly her rating is the *most* defensible one, as long as it doesn't contain commentary on why.
>>
>>93261503
>as long as it doesn't contain commentary on why
oh so if he was able to justify his position your petticoats get ruffled?
>>
>>93261475
>Behind every RSS feed is a shitty content management system written in PHP4.
which has a straightforward HTTP/S interface that at best relies on standard authentication/cookies. Now that you've shown you know there's a web framework put your tiny pud back in your pants and let people who've worked in web dev for almost 2 decades tell you to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.
>>
>>93260367

Well, Roz has demonstrated herself to be a shitty, backstabbing cunt, so it fits.
>>
>>93261604
>Now that you've shown you know there's a web framework put your tiny pud back in your pants and let people who've worked in web dev for almost 2 decades tell you to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.
>muh epeen is b-bigger!

Shut up nerds.
>>
>>93260601

Reminder that Other Rachael supported Roz as RA for purely shallow, superficial reasons like likeability and not any real substantial reasons like any genuine actual qualifications
>>
>>93261168
>also he's totes dead

We don't know that.
>>
>>93261996
The burden of proof is upon you to show that Ryan is not dead.
>>
>>93261604
It sounded like you were claiming there's no coding involved and thus Danny saying he coded it is nonsense.

What we know now is that it's a shitty *homebrew* content management system coded by an eighth grader. There's no reason to assume that anything about it is straightforward or standard.
>>
>>93261552
Huh? My point is that if his RSS feed still says "crazy bitch who hired someone to punch me", he will be less able to salvage his friendship than if it contains no explanation and he's therefore free to spin it.
>>
File: 2016-12-05-groundswell[1].png (409KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-05-groundswell[1].png
409KB, 1000x333px
>>93261964
Eh, her stated reason isn't *that* superficial. If Roz showed more of a connection in the moment but Dorothy was too busy with the note taking, I could totally see that coming across as less engaged.

And despite Roz just wanting a different room or whatever, she would have decent credentials with her volunteer work.
>>
>>93260749
Firstly, it's jest because I commissioned it from my Google account (jest meister)
Secondly, it doesn't have the right hair for JUST.
>>
But who the fuck cares?
>>
>>93264083
you do do bump a page 10 thread in the middle of the night
>>
>>93262085

Nice try. But I never said he was alive, either.

We don't know. That's the point.
>>
>>93264218

Hide the thread and move on, autist if it bothers you so much.
>>
>>93261996
he's dead. even if Amber didn't put him in the ground, he's still dead. Ross and Blaine are dead too BTW. they're not in the morgue or anything but Willis is done with them as characters and so we're not going to see them again so for all intents and purposes, they're dead.
>>
>>93217295
If that girl is an 8 I'd hate to see what Willis thinks a 6 is.
>>
>>93265074
Well, if Rachel is a 3 and Mandy is an 8... I guess you just have to be thin and a normal height...?
>>
>>93262559
God, that arc was so stupid. He was clearly trying to make a Hillary/Trump thing, but he didn't realise that that's not how colleges select their Residential Assistants.
>>
>>93233414
Nobody ever dies in DoA. Its too drama-y.
>>
>>93267149
Yes, because Willis would never abandon humor for the sake of drama.
>>
>>93267672
Look at it this way: people dying sets actual breakpoints in this sliding timeline
>>
>>93267132
I don't even know if it was Hillary/Trump commentary or if it was Willis attempting such a thing but failing to create any actual analogies to the Presidential race.

>>93267149
>>93267672
Watch the twist be that Amber killed herself in some kind of murder-suicide.
>>
>>93268451
MY TITCOW SHALL NOT DIE
>>
>>93268467
Amber's dead forever. Nozomi is your new cowtits mommy gf.

Real talk, though: Love Live has better character development and evolution than Dumbing of Age.
>>
File: troll punks fuck off.jpg (60KB, 892x651px) Image search: [Google]
troll punks fuck off.jpg
60KB, 892x651px
>>93268489
Post series that have better character development than Dumbing of Age. I'll start.
>>
>>93268756
Endtown.
>>
>>93260208
His......... ICloud password?
>>
File: Ghost_Stories.jpg (128KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_Stories.jpg
128KB, 600x846px
>>93268756
>>
>>93270279
We're counting the gag dub here aren't we
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (124KB, 795x455px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
124KB, 795x455px
>>93255789
>And when everyone is a ten, no one is.
>>
File: 2comc.png (89KB, 476x953px) Image search: [Google]
2comc.png
89KB, 476x953px
>>93268756
It's Walky
>>
>>93256561
>by any metric you use.
You just gotta think outside the box
>IF girl
>THEN =10
>>
>>93271725
I don't think anyone's actually seen the real version of this show.
>>
>>93272120
I can't believe I used to read that

Where the fuck did the years go
>>
>>93272286
>I can't believe I used to read that
it was a strip that existed to amuse its readers and tell a story

DoA is Willis' futile burning need to preach to a choir already converted
>>
>>93272322
It's pretty sad and ugly

It's Walky was a fucking mess as was Roomies, but at least it had that 2001 kind of simplicity instead of the endless agendas of today

god help me he's using the same characters 17 years later, fuck
>>
>>93272406
>god help me he's using the same characters 17 years later
It's the worst part about all of this, he's on his third iteration of the same people he shat out as a college freshman and not even in a cutesy "this is my cast of actors" Matsumoto kind of way.
>>
>>93260367
>>93220375
Didn't Joe use to be some sort of genius engineer or did Willis completely delete that aspect of his character for this Version of the universe?

Shouldn't he have some sort of atleast rudimentary understanding of how things like security work even if he isn't able to do it himself?
>>
>>93272468
Does he even know he can use that argument? He claimed he didnt even knew about kayfabe.
>>
>>93272689
His genius was an abductee power in IW!

Not that I doubt Willis would have made him an idiot again in DoA even if he didn't have that excuse.
>>
>>93272985
Yeah, but I think he was also a closet transformers nerd, right? I don't remember if that played into the stuff he was studying in Roomies, so I guess it wouldn't here either.

But if you're like a closet nerd, having a little self-taught programming seems right up his alley.
>>
>>93272689
Joe was Ultra-Car's dad.
>>
>>93273249
Willis has no integrity to any of his characters. I promise if he today hated what kind of person Joyce is, she'd become how she was originally for no reason and everyone would Meg her.
>>
>>93261964
that's why she's a 3
>>
>>93268756
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Thorp
>>
>>93271785
kek
>>
>>93268756
It would be easier to list the series with worse character development.
Even My Immortal was better.
>>
>>93271785
Danny and buddy are pretty similar, really.
Is he planning to use the ukulele to surpass and kill all the ambitious women in his history?
>>
>>93274559
I think Joyce would be destined to be another Mary.
>>
>>93276616
He made Joyce too naive and sheltered to really turn her into another Mary. Anything she does would be mitigated by the fact that she literally wouldn't know any better.
>>
>>93276819
She's become so cynical, and with the amount of time it'll be before he decides he doesn't like Joyce, I could easily see it as a possibility.
>>
>>93278381
The only reason she's become so cynical is beacause Willis really, really doesn't want to hate her. He'll change her character completely a dozen times before he lets her even get close to being an antagonist.
>>
>>93276819
Which I find to be a pretty interesting concept. I mean, look at Ross, that guy was probably heavily indoctrinated, had no exposure to people other than him outside of as an example of "evil." And then he acted on that as an adult and did some terrible shit. But how much would one really expect him to change from his upbringing at that point?

Same thing with Mary. Joyce is willing to interact with others and give them a chance, which is good, but Mary was clearly taught not to do that and internalized it. So she won't ever really get a chance to see where her upbringing might need adapting.

For Willis, he seems to posit an ability to see beyond how you were raised as "good" and an inability to do that as "bad." But that can be fairly tough when those ideals are propped up by a support system. And instead of looking into why and how those ideals can waver and be upturned, he just sort of posits people as being unable (he'd probably say unwilling, but really it's the same difference) to change and then calls them the enemy.
>>
>>93279095
>Mary was clearly taught not to do that and internalized it

The weird thing is that Mary comes off as rather worldly and knowledgeable, implying that she's intentionally a bigot.
>>
>>93278381
>>93278786
Willis likes to make Joyce suffer, because apparently he likes the "Break The Cutie" trope.

Maybe it's her punishment for seducing Walky in the Walkyverse and not allowing him to be with Dorothy as GodWillis intended.
>>
File: JoyceNeedsCentering.png (1MB, 1000x1332px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceNeedsCentering.png
1MB, 1000x1332px
>>93279544
And even the mechanics of that could be interesting to explore. Unless your only hope for the future is people literally dying off, understanding how people come to act like that and believe those things can be useful to convincing them otherwise.

Like, we don't even see Mary having anyone to bounce her concepts off of. Even Joyce got to a point where she was like "oh my god, there's all these temptations and lifestyles that are supposed to be evil, lemme call Becky to center myself!"

I know I recently read a twitter thread where someone explained interacting with someone who kinda lead them down a path of making them doubt themselves and certain people. And it was genuinely interesting. I'm not saying Mary needs to be made more relatable through that, or have it be an excuse so that she's not at fault for her beliefs. I just think going into why and how people think things a little bit leads to more interesting characters.
>>
>>93280840

Link to the Twitter thread? That sounds interesting.
>>
>>93268756
It Hurts!!

>>93272254
That is the real version. The supposed "original" version is nothing but a myth.
>>
>>93272406
Well there's nothing inherently wrong with re-using the same characters. The guy who did Sesuji wo Pin is doing a new manga about a youth soccer club and the coach is the husband of the club advisor from Sesuji (and he himself was a supporting character in that series too) and both of them were two of the main characters in a short story he did for Shonen Jump a few years earlier called Koganeiro.

Of course the difference is that Yokota's way better at writing likable characters and that he allows his characters to grow (literally and literarily) whereas Willis just reboots his stuff every few years because he can't think of anything better and will never write anything near as good as Sesuji.
>>
>>93281258
There's a difference between creating a universe that links characters between otherwise separate stories

and rehashing the same cast of characters in the bulk of your creative output for nigh on 20 years. If Willis were doing what Yokota did, "Dumbing of Age" would focus on the children of Walky/Joyce and Mike/Amber and maybe Robin/Leslie, I guess. It would basically be "Roomies: The Next Generation".
>>
>>93280840
IIRC Willis said on his tumblr that Mary's parents are perfectly ordinary Christians, which is really incongruous with how Mary behaves. She had to pick it up from somewhere, and considering that she has no friends, no social group, and we've seen her go to church exactly once, it does't make any sense for her to be characterized as an awful bigot despite having nothing to generate or reinforce that notion. About the only explanation that would work is if her fundamentalism is some form of rebellion or she's hardcore into an internet echo chamber. I feel like Willis is just piling negative traits onto her instead of simply working with "she's a snobbish asshole who uses her religion to justify herself."

Also that last strip has a great bit of characterization for Walky that I don't think has been touched for years.
>>
>>93281343
I don't think there is anything wrong, in concept, with what Willis is doing. The issue is that he's rehashing prior material before exploring new avenues of development and he's taking the easy road with new development.
>>
>>93281508
>Willis said on his tumblr that Mary's parents are perfectly ordinary Christians, which is really incongruous with how Mary behaves. She had to pick it up from somewhere

He made her parents ordinary Christians BECAUSE he doesn't want her behavior to have any justification. Making Mary anything other than a mustache-twirling villainess with no backstory or motivation or reason would make her even slightly sympathetic, and people who aren't like me don't deserve one iota of my empathy.
>>
>>93281508
>>93282071
Watch it turn out that this is just how Willis sees "perfectly ordinary Christians".
>>
>>93282071
Explanations are not justifications.

>>93282188
It's gonna get pretty weird when Joyce takes Jacob up on that offer to attend his church if that is the case.
>>
>>93280995
I'm a dummy and didn't bookmark it, but the gist of it is that the person used a combination of fuzzy data and alternating between breaking down and appealing to the target's intelligence ("you can't *possibly* believe x," "I know you're smart so you must know y.") And they would basically disappear/not respond whenever they were concretely proven wrong, leading to this appearance of knowing what's right and best for the target, while they started to second guess themselves more and more. The target described it as a slow burn that had an impact over a long period of time.

As for a story I think is interesting that I can reference (although it's probably fairly well known), there's Daryl Davis, a black musician who befriends members of the Klan. A lot of them end up leaving the Klan because he's just a nice dude who talks to them about their issues and misconceptions. There's a documentary "Accidental Courtesy" (that I haven't seen) that goes into his interactions and also shows his meet up with activists who find his actions baffling and enraging.

I feel like when it comes to Joyce, Willis is more like Davis, engaging with a person with hangups and exploring why. But when it comes to pretty much anyone else, they're just the way they are will never change. Seems like a missed opportunity.
>>
>>93283295

Joyce gets sympathy because Joyce is Willis. Her arc in DoA is basically him self-flagellating over how judgmental he was as a teenager, with a side order of revisionist history where he gets to be The Good Ally.

The Other Christians (i.e. his mom) never changed their behavior or apologized to him about it, so he's just going to perpetually stew about it and write his Christian characters as irredeemable bastards.

I wonder what would happen if his mom ever DID apologize to him. Would DoA just end from the sudden catharsis?
>>
File: backwards.png (349KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
backwards.png
349KB, 1000x333px
Wow, tonight marks the fourth day in a row Willis has managed to stay on the same scene. Kind of impressive, given his frenetic scene-switching as of late.

Yet also not so impressive, since it's still these two laying the groundwork for Joe's eventual public castration.
>>
>>93283555
When you're holding on to that much resentment for so long even a sincere apology and complete 180 in behavior from the person you're upset with isn't really going to provide any catharsis. And when you consider just how strongly Willis has wrapped career around that sense of resentment and doesn't believe in therapy, his resentment will more than likely just become less focused rather than dissipating.

Speaking from personal experience, that kind of anger sticks around, and can even get worse, especially if you feel that the person you're upset with isn't sufficiently contrite or understanding of the hurt they've caused.
>>
>>93283555
>Would DoA just end from the sudden catharsis?
"Sorry, guys. After the buffer clears, 'Dumbing of Age' is going to go on hiatus while I figure some things out."

Naturally, the comic ends on a cliffhanger AND a punchline. While Willis remains active on Twitter and Tumblr, occasionally posting promises to come back to the comic, he never does. The most he does do are one-off strips that are little more than out-of-continuity gags akin to April Fool's jokes.

>>93283988
Thirteen days since Amber put Ryan in a box.

Also, this is still filler. And filler is boring. Calgon, take me away.
>>
>>93284056
It's not filler, it's just a boring plot that we can see the outcome of from miles away. The only thing up in the air are the odds of Joe and Rachel hooking in this universe.
>>
>>93284134
I mean that this particular strip is filler. It makes more sense when reading in a binge-setting, where strips like this are more easily ignored when you just skim them. When you're a daily reader, it's all you get and it's all that you have to focus upon.

And that's no good.
>>
File: 20100904last.png (149KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
20100904last.png
149KB, 700x560px
>>93284134
>The only thing up in the air are the odds of Joe and Rachel hooking in this universe.
That is ALMOST as 100% certain as Walky and Joyce ending up together.
>>
>>93283988
It's because he knows that his fans want to know what happened with that situation, so he things he's building tension. It's shit. This plot is whatever tho. Fucking B tier roomies shit.
>>
>>93283988
Like, I kinda get doing one long eyebrow when there's only one, but the mix of that and a normal other eyebrow and the terrible looking eyebeans makes for a totes bad face.

3/10
>>
>>93239465
Shit taste
>>
File: 1492149150032.png (24KB, 172x111px) Image search: [Google]
1492149150032.png
24KB, 172x111px
>>93284979
>he thinks lady-Willis is endearing
>accuses others of shit taste
Have fun with your neurotic, self-loathing mess of a waifu, anon
>>
File: JoeStarsInASexTape.png (1MB, 900x1800px) Image search: [Google]
JoeStarsInASexTape.png
1MB, 900x1800px
>>93283988
Context.

I like the idea of exploring their friendship, I just think the "ukelele guy" concept is a weird way to get into it. Also, sharing this "do" list seems to be the express purpose of it, so I don't even understand Joe's freak out.

(And I would get his reaction if he was secretive, but he clearly wants it around after sharing the password with Raidah and explicitly telling people their rankings to their face. It doesn't make sense for him to freak out if he behaves like that)
>>
>>93285259

Huh. So it wasn't that long ago that Willis was still willing to have his characters say "retardo". Look at him now, eh?
>>
>>93285259
Wow. "Maybe she was lying"? That's practically MRA talk. Every correct-thinking person knows that women never lie about that.

Willis would never write a character meant to be likable saying that these days.
>>
>>93283988
Why does this list even exist? Just to show Joe's personal rankings? People have eyes and can judge for themselves.

If it were personality rankings based on how poisonous and crazy some of the girls are, this would be understandable as a warning list.

For example, avoid all shortstack moderately attractive nerd girls as they are likely to stab.
>>
>>93285946
It's probably a combination of the 'warning list' bit, and a much larger portion of 'everyone should hear my opinion because it is superior to theirs'.

Y'know...sort of like the reasons that anyone posts anything about anyone or anything on social media...and image boards.
>>
>>93285946
>Why does this list even exist?
For real, he bragged about it, and shared it online, but as far as we've seen his only friends are people who wouldn't be interested in that anyways. It gets leaked and all of a sudden it's a big deal.

>>93285259
Here too.
>congresskins' sisters can't have sex! what were you thinking joe?!
Who gives a shit.
>>
>>93283988
>>93284056
Joe's the only character I like in this terrible comic, so I don't mind him as the focus.
>>
>>93285259
Foreshadowing for Danny being bi?
>>
>>93282071
I think that's the biggest bummer about her character - even if you don't like Mary, even if you disagree with everything she says and does - Willis has essentially written her as a filler-villain with no depth, or motivation other than "shit I need someone to come in and say something really bigoted and politically incorrect in this scene"

Mary has a lot of potential as a character, even an antagonist, and it's just utterly and completely wasted for the sake of Willis being able to take a giant shit on a one-dimensional parodic facsimile of his younger self.
>>
>>93280840
This looks like Amber but she has half the tit size
>>
>>93260601
>insert cock here
>>
>>93283555
His mother apologizing probably wouldn't help. The only way to move past something like that is to become independend of the people and then let it go.

That's the mentality of people "forgiving" criminals in jail who hurt them or their loved ones. I always thought it was pretty weird people pushed that line of thinking until I realised that it's more about making the victims stop hating the person that hurt them so they can finally move on with their life instead of being stuck constantly thinking about what happened.
>>
>>93286495
Except this focus is incredibly stupid. Joe put that shit on the internet and mentioned it in every other conversation for a few years, so why would he completely freak out if it became slightly more public?

Of course, every woman in the dorm finding out about the list in one night and hating Joe for it doesn't make much sense either.
>>
>>93289964
The fact he has one at all and updates it is already as sketchy as it gets, and honestly? It's a rating of how fuckable they are by appearance/personality. Showing any of the girls be offended because they see any value in Joe's appraisal is incredibly demeaning to any of them. It's astonishing Willis showed something so sexist.
>>
>>93289989
> It's astonishing Willis didn't think something through
no it isn't
>>
>>93284468
the relationships in It's Walky and Roomies don't really hold any weight in this universe. don't forget Danny eventually winds up with Billie in the old universe and that's NEVER happening DOA
>>
>>93289989

In his previous comics Joe's crass and shameless pursuit of sex was nothing more than a quirk, and he's one of Willy's oldest characters. It's pretty obvious that in early DoA he was meant to be just as quirky and his sexual obsessions amusing, but the new fans he's accrued did not agree.

I think Willis actually really likes Joe, and also Mike for that matter, and legitimately wanted to portray them as quirky but good. But Joe's flagrant and proud heterosexuality would never allow his fans to see anything he does as just quirky, especially a "Do List"; and Mike's tendency to cut the bullshit and hit at the heart of shit (like calling out Amber or Dorothy) is repugnant to them. In the end his desire to please his fans has forced him to ignore or even demonize characters he legitimately wants them to like.
>>
>>93283988
New Danny has achieved calm and enlightenment by opting to not give a shit about things anymore, starting with his long-time friend.
>>
>>93293057
To some degree he's using the golden rule. He saw how Joe treats him (generally not giving a shit), assumed that's how Joe himself wants to be treated, and is now treating Joe that way.
>>
>>93289964
>Of course, every woman in the dorm finding out about the list in one night and hating Joe for it doesn't make much sense either.
They have a hivemind, obviously.
>>
>>93292312
> Mike
what's a Mike
there is no Mike
>>
>>93292312
I like Joe.

Why does every single character have to pander to a select group of people?
Why not just have him be there and let him exist, as far as I remember he hasn't actually done anything that negatively influenced anyone in the cast at all.

Why not just have a cast with a variant of different personalities and opinions and have them act like adults about it?
>>
>>93238933
Haven't read this since April some time. Not sure why I hung on as long as I did. Maybe it was just the train wreck of seeing characters I have nostalgic feelings for being slowly ripped apart and deconstructed. This strip has convinced me I wasn't wrong to drop it.
>>
>>93294567
Because you're not allowed to do that. Willis cultivated and courted this audience who believes that everything has to reflect their own thoughts (the right thoughts) and that anyone who does not line up with all of their beliefs is an evil un-person who deserves all scorn before being subject to damnatio memoriae.
>>
>>93291142
If Wally and Joyce don't end up together in DoA I'll eat my hat.

Granted, it will probably be sometime in the late 2030s at the earliest, but it will happen, mark my words.
>>
>>93295806
Maybe then we'll find out what happened to Ryan
>>
>>93217295
How is that an 8?
>>
>>93297631
How is Other Rachel a 3? She doesn't look any visibly uglier than other characters. She basically just looks like a purple haired Amber. One of the problems of being a bad artist I guess.
>>
>>93293128
Joe does give a shit though, It's been shown that generally Danny is less happy than Joe, Joe knows this, and makes the assumption that it's lifestyle and outlook at root. Danny's big problem is that he based his self identity off of and around the girlfriends he had, and Joe knew that.

>>93284056
The interesting thing to me is that, Willis seems to actively resent the idea of obtaining closure, even without the whole "forgiveness" angle. Joyce still has PTSD from that corpse, and Willis seems to think it would be unfair or haram or something to have her get closure or therapy. Meanwhile, Amber continues to carve a bloody swath through the town and she's getting worse, not better. It's like Willis realizes that violence doesn't satisfy and only leads to ever greater problem, but still idealizes it.
>>
>>93297905
Well she doesn't have Amber's big baps, and wears clothes that don't show off a curvy figure. I think baggy clothes are fine, but it's pretty clear that Willis puts people in skimpy or tight fitting stuff to show off curves and thinks that equals attractiveness.

The real answer is that she's a character that was made back when Willis wasn't way into shortstacks, so her being *gasp* chubby was way more of an outlier.

Also you could've had Joe be like "man I bet she's cute under those clothes, such mystique 9/10" but instead he just rolled with the old characterization without really thinking about it.
>>
>>93297905
She's usually is drawn with more of a block shaped face as opposed to Amber's oval. Basically the only real difference outside of hair.
>>
For Father's Day, Willis is tweeting out his dad villains getting wrecked. Maybe he'll also post Hank being very fatherly to Joyce and Becky. but I doubt it.
>>
>>93298436
>Willis is tweeting out his dad villains getting wrecked
what a fucking cunt
>>
>>93298436
That guy's got problems.
>>
File: DCnKbkxU0AEc6_w.jpg (184KB, 1188x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DCnKbkxU0AEc6_w.jpg
184KB, 1188x1200px
>>93298436
Well, he did retweet this, so, I mean, it's not ALL negative dad tweets....
>>
>>93298703
It's a pretty consistent "fuck dads" message.
>>
>>93298749
Willis just needs a burly father of two to wrap him in strong arms and plow his ass like it's forty acres.

>>93298703
Color me curious, is the game any good?
>>
>>93299183
>is the game any good?
Doesn't come out for three weeks. Produced and VA'd by the Game Grumps crew I gather.
>>
File: fahrenheit_toefiftyone.png (420KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
fahrenheit_toefiftyone.png
420KB, 1000x333px
>>93298436
Might as well post my favorite Toedad edit then
>>
File: 2009-10-05-oatmeal.png (144KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
2009-10-05-oatmeal.png
144KB, 500x747px
>>93298436
Hank's an alright guy, but Mike's parents are still my favorite. Too bad Mike barely exists anymore.
>>
>>93299436
>Flash
Perfect.
>>
>>93289964
Of course it's incredibly stupid, this is Dumbing of Age.
>>
>>93299436
Ha that's pretty good
>>
>>93298436
>>93298703

Totally not abnormal. That's what regular people do.

Though Willy doesn't consider himself "regular people". He's made it clear that he is THE David Willis, Author of Dumbing of Age, Professional Webcomic.
>>
>>93294567
>Why not just have a cast with a variant of different personalities and opinions and have them act like adults about it?
He did that for a decade. And because he couldn't let go of those characters Willis decided to make their PURPOSE change.
>>
>>93298703
I give him credit for posting this since it is both funny and an actual dad joke
https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/876489519192821761

everything else, he needs therapy for
>>
File: 2015-11-15-hi.png (243KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-15-hi.png
243KB, 1000x333px
>>93299436
Does anyone have the reshuffled Toedad hospital scene edit that made Becky's farewell to her dad impactful instead of just 'fukk uuuu Ima syintist nao!!11!!1'
>>
File: 1447738550276.png (442KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
1447738550276.png
442KB, 1000x670px
>>93300931
Gotcha covered, fama-lama-ding-dong
>>
>>93300999
What was the original?
>>
>>93301027

awful
>>
>>93301027
If I recall correctly, Becky says "I wanna be a family again" and Toedad's like "naw nigga" and so instead of being the better person and walking out the door Becky's like "WELL FUCK YOU TOO, I'M GOING TO BE AN UNDECLARED SCIENTIST" and flips him two birds.
>>
File: 2015-11-16-alive.png (299KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-16-alive.png
299KB, 1000x333px
>>93300999
Thanks m80
>>93301027
Here's the second comic of her farewell. Not mood shattering awful writing for you? One sec...
>>
File: 2015-11-17-unlimited.png (297KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-17-unlimited.png
297KB, 1000x333px
>>93301027
>>93301107
...and yeah, here's her final goodbye to her father who she presumably loved for her entire life until like a week before this comic.
>>
>>93301040
>awful

Oh yes, yes it was.
>>
File: 2015-12-23-trickledown[1].png (390KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-23-trickledown[1].png
390KB, 1000x333px
>>93301144
>final
Kinda...
>>
>>93301188
What are the odds that Phil will commentate on the Bill Cosby trial being declared a mistrial and have it so that Toedad is let go due to a hung jury?
>>
>>93301144
> it's that Octopus Pie "go to the zoo" joke except with all the humor and fun drained out of it
>>
>>93301107
I don't think you've an obligation to be a bigger person when the other person recently abducted people at shotgun point. You've basically already got the moral high ground no matter what you do.
>>
>>93300999
> Look how much I hate eyebrow cheats, this is important
There's fixing the narrative and then there's being a colossal faggot about things.
>>
>>93301188

That's not how normal people act

This comic is as grounded as a balloon
>>
>>93301188
> situation is uninterested in stirring up drama or creating villains

Isn't that something?
>>
>>93298436
I mean I hate my dad too but I more or less just keep that shit to myself and don't spend 20 years of my creative life screaming about it at everyone who will (and won't; especially those who won't) listen.
>>
>>93301286
There's having the moral high ground, and there's acting abrasively towards somebody who has no reason to act any way but abrasively towards you.

Becky could have cut ties with her father cleanly, but all she did was give him a reason to come back and cleanse her with fire. >>93301188 sure as fuck doesn't help either.
>>
>>93300999
Remember when that was tweeted at Willis and he flipped out about how it was "dumb Hallmark crap" or something to that effect? I guess because he thought that was supposed to be an "everything's hunky dory" ending instead of Becky essentially killing him with kindness, backhandedly telling him what a disappointment he is as a father leaving both on a somber note.
>>
>>93301286
Yes but when you reach what should be the big scene of your story arc you can go one of two ways: a scene that evokes pathos and puts the characters through the wringer while also giving a bit of closure.

Or you can do what amounts to a cartoonish Family Guy joke to completely kill the mood.

David "David 'Walky' Walkerton" Willis, revered wordsmith and literary genius, obviously took the former path and not the latter because Mssr. Willis is an unmatched master of emotional consistency in the scenes that he writes and would never ping-pong between too opposite emotions much like he would never leave the audience hanging on plotlines like, say, if he had one of his characters kill another one.
>>
>>93301144
Becky was pretty shitty beforehand but this is the precise moment where she morphs into one of the single most unbearable characters I've ever read.
>>
>>93301314
Having hair look solid gives the art more depth - it's pretty much Art 101, unless you learnt to draw from watching episodes of Pokemon.
>>93301668
Good times, good times...
>>
>>93301917
I find that hilarious. "Conflict" in Becky's life is simply D*ve's way of showing the ways in which the universe can bend to accomdate the Chosen One.
>>
File: family.png (57KB, 797x334px) Image search: [Google]
family.png
57KB, 797x334px
>>93301144
>love
Nope, Ross never loved Becky. Not for a single second of her entire life. If you say any different you are a fucking bigot and should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>93302173
Becky's dad was some sort of robot?
>>
File: 2016-05-24-documents.png (342KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-24-documents.png
342KB, 1000x333px
>>93302173
>>93302813
>>
>>93302917
He didn't love Becky there.

He hated her and her mother with every fiber of his being. Isn't it obvious? I mean...that's what you do when you don't love people, right? Marry them? Have a child with them? Raise said child for almost twenty years? Only a true heartless, emotionless robot-monster would do those things.
>>
File: 2016-05-27-lasttime.png (347KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-27-lasttime.png
347KB, 1000x333px
>>93303133
Apparently Toedad was sad that Deadmom killed herself because it meant the family was irrevocably broken and that meant he would need to start a new family, perhaps with blackjack and hookers.
>>
>>93301615
Don't forget how Dorothy has been nothing but nice to her, but Becky treats her like an enemy.
>>
>>93303221
Her smiling when looking over at the memory of her grieving father makes her seem like a psycho. I can totally get Ruth not being able to find the tears for her parents and just feeling numb, but this is a step beyond that.

Although, I have seen this done well, in Fun Home there's that panel where Alison meets up with her brother and they both can't help smiling partially because of the absurdity of the situation, and partially because of their unique relationship with death. But that's a good comic by a good cartoonist.
>>
>>93304532
Honestly, that concept and the recent strip with Becky and Leslie have me convinced that Becky still harbors feelings for Joyce. And yet we'll never see it expanded upon because Willis doesn't want to create any conflict for Becky (much less Dina) because "God answers lesbian prayers" and Willis is God.
>>
File: 2016-05-26-cashbucks.png (330KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-26-cashbucks.png
330KB, 1000x333px
>>93304858
This strip actually almost gave something resembling a character to Becky by implying that her peppy/upbeat nature was the result of repressing her tragic upbringing and the death of her mother.

But we have yet to see it come up again.
>>
File: dum-bingo-fage.jpg (139KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
dum-bingo-fage.jpg
139KB, 720x900px
So... Willis just posted this on Twitter.
>>
File: DCpePiHUwAAkdCL.jpg (51KB, 600x437px) Image search: [Google]
DCpePiHUwAAkdCL.jpg
51KB, 600x437px
>>93305771
This is the recent tweet of his that I'm more interested in
>>
>>93305771

Huh. It would only take a few edits for that to be the perfect /doag/ bingo card. I'm not sure what that implies.
>>
>>93305852
I'm gonna have to start lurking reaction threads again.
>>
>>93305771
Does he think these things are endearing and not gaping flaws in his writing?
>>
>>93300999
it's shocking how much more tolerable Becky's design becomes once you get rid of the eye bugs.
>>
>>93305771
>>93306128
I don't even know how this is supposed to work. Is it by strip? By story? If it's by story, then several of these are automatic Free Spaces by virtue of character design ("Uggs", "glasses", "stripes", etc.) or will almost never show up ("Dexter", "Monkey Master", "Joyce freakout face", etc.)
>>
>>93305568
The idea of her repressing stuff was raised before, and I like the concept, but it's kind of hit or miss with how it's presented. It works pretty well in the "cashbucks" strip with how she has to gird herself, but I still think "lasttime" (>>93305568) literally showing her stuck in the shitty memory and grinning is weird. I think Willis is trying to show how it might be unhealthy and taking more of a toll that she thinks (she's not "cool"), but I think you can do that without her literally grinning at someone else's pain* in her mind's eye.

I think if there had been a duplicate of panel 5 with her showing a concerned face, and then another one with the images dissipating with her line of dialogue it would be a little nicer. You'd still to present her repressing her negative emotions and memories, ignoring them to a possibly unhealthy level, while not letting her troubled past define her, but she'd seem less callous.

*And I do think that this is a big part of what makes it not work for me, that she's looking directly at her memory of her dad. If it had been Ross hugging Becky, then you could read the absurdity in how far removed she is from that relationship with him. Instead it feels sort of like a "fuck you, Dad!" sentiment. Of course, that might be the intended takeaway, in which case, Willis picked the exact wrong moment to stick it to Ross.
>>
File: P5_portrait_of_Makoto_Angry.png (86KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
P5_portrait_of_Makoto_Angry.png
86KB, 512x512px
>>93302813
>Becky's dad was some sort of robot?
Beep boop
>>
File: ithurts133-allyshouse.png (399KB, 980x717px) Image search: [Google]
ithurts133-allyshouse.png
399KB, 980x717px
>>93304858
>Her smiling when looking over at the memory of her grieving father makes her seem like a psycho. I can totally get Ruth not being able to find the tears for her parents and just feeling numb, but this is a step beyond that.
I get what Willis is going for... it's just he's bad at it. Pic related is pretty much the same sort of deal but done better.
>>
>>93306128
Given that it's David "David Willis" Walkerton we're talking about it's almost certainly done as a way to ironically dismiss any criticism of his works. "Haha, let us have a laugh at what these IMBECILES think my work is all about," and such.
>>
>>93305971
Or creating them
>>
>>93305771
I was literally about to make something similar except for DoA threads.
>>
File: PAAL.jpg (400KB, 3000x999px) Image search: [Google]
PAAL.jpg
400KB, 3000x999px
>>93300931
>>
File: tie.png (448KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
tie.png
448KB, 1000x333px
Another night, another whole lotta nothing besides Becky, her ridiculous hair, and her even more ridiculous personality.
>>
>>93301144
>>93301188

While I cannot condone Ross' actions, I can't say the way Becky acts makes her endearing at all.
>>
>>93307695
It has officially been two weeks since Amber struck Ryan with a blade on the steps of Whatever Dormitory. And here we are with Becky's stupid hair physics and her stupider public antics.

I swear, if this story ends with Becky being like "You're my new mother after my old one died," I'm going to freak.

Also, what the fuck happened to their faces in the fifth panel?
>>
>>93307741
How can a comic that updates every fucking day have the pacing of a fucking glacier
>>
File: delet.png (86KB, 199x333px) Image search: [Google]
delet.png
86KB, 199x333px
>>93307300
>bullying makoto
>>
>>93307741
>Also, what the fuck happened to their faces in the fifth panel?
Lesbians cannot be contained by character design.
>>
File: 80s wheres the joke willis.jpg (108KB, 750x537px) Image search: [Google]
80s wheres the joke willis.jpg
108KB, 750x537px
>>93307695
>>
>>93307862
Makoto is for mob sex slavery
>>
>>93307458
I'm sure it's in response to plebcomics recent post about him.
>>
>>93307920
The joke is that lesbians know how to tie a necktie.
>>
>>93307695
where did becky get a vest and tie?
isnt she still homeless with one set of clothes?
>>
File: becky .png (348KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
becky .png
348KB, 1000x333px
>>93303221
>>
>>93307695
Becky, there's a thing called YouTube that has plenty of "How to tie a tie" videos. Hell, just google it even.
>>
>>93307949
All Becky's mother taught her to tie was a noose.
>>
>>93307695
I wonder if this is a lesbians know how to tie ties joke or her knowing because she has tied/adjusted her ex-husband's tie. It should be neither, because sometimes women just wear ties, Roz wore one.

It's cool how Willis took this ritual, which can be very touching and intimate and reduced it to... nothing. Not even much of a joke, really.

Also, I wonder if she's all dressed up to go see some sort of official about getting her social security number, or acquiring financial aid, or maybe enrolling in school. Or maybe she's going to her Dad's hearing.
>>
>>93307939
>plebcomics recent post about him
provide link
>>
>>93307695
This strip makes me think Willis has never tied a tie. Mostly because you generally hold it between your finger tips and thumbs not in closed fists like you're dual-wielding dildoes.
>>
File: DoA General.png (609KB, 1600x1923px) Image search: [Google]
DoA General.png
609KB, 1600x1923px
>>93305771
>>
>>93308843

Theeeeeere it is. Hope to make good use of this in the future. :)
>>
File: 2015-11-16-alive.png (577KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-16-alive.png
577KB, 1000x668px
>>93306714
>Instead it feels sort of like a "fuck you, Dad!" sentiment.
No shortage of those
>>
File: DOA edit.png (461KB, 1000x692px) Image search: [Google]
DOA edit.png
461KB, 1000x692px
>>93309005
And the /co/-improved version, simply because I fucking hate the original page so much.
>>
File: JoyceDetectsASexyBlasphemer.png (37KB, 122x206px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceDetectsASexyBlasphemer.png
37KB, 122x206px
>>93308843
Nice, I really like the free space.

>Amber's enormous juicy breasts
I try not to think about her that way, but you're making it hard, anon.
>>
>>93309019
Jesus... it would have been so fucking easy for Willis to make that whole thing into a genuinely moving character moment for Becky.

But NOPE gotta be fucking weird quirky!!
>>
>>93309023
>but you're making it hard, anon
No, Amber's lewd titties are doing that
>>
File: coincidence.png (29KB, 522x260px) Image search: [Google]
coincidence.png
29KB, 522x260px
>>93308843
>>
File: Joyce THICC.png (99KB, 758x831px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce THICC.png
99KB, 758x831px
>Amber
>Not Joyce
>>
>>93309192
I can back mine up with canon art, you not so much
>>
>>93308444
GirlAnon, delivering for you since it hasn't been posted yet.

http://plebcomics.tumblr.com/post/161987977903/swc-dumping-ground-plebcomics-itswalky

someone else:
>The only story arc I remember from Shortpacked was when a girl got raped by a robot and she came so quick that she learned to love being raped.

>What is it with dave willis and girls enjoying rape?

Pleb:
>everything i know about shortpacked or whatever is what i read on 4chans /co/ board and from what i can gather his comic is just a sequence of shock-value events that poof into thin air the minute hes had a girl cry or suddenly turn into a lesbian or physically assault the one hardcore christian chick, with absolutely no conclusion or resolution met because hes gotta work in some boring quip or whatever
>>
>>93309377

Oh, Pleb's here too? Hi Pleb! Love your comics!
>>
>>93309413
If you think Abby's GirlAnon you are brain damaged
>>
>>93309422

No no, Pleb mentioned in her post that she browses /doag/ sometimes. I'm just saying hi if she happens to be here.
>>
>>93309422
Pleb:
>everything i know about shortpacked or whatever is what i read on 4chans /co/ board
>>
>>93309448
I love Abby because she's the bitter old adult I'll never become because I'm older than her
>>
>>93308444
>>93309413
>>93309440
>>93309484
Question:
>It's been a while since you've commented on David Willis's crap. Bored or it does not impress you anymore?

Answer:
>/co/ does a better job at doggin on david willis’s garbage when they are not legitimately sperging about the poorly drawn “waifus” in his comics

http://plebcomics.tumblr.com/post/160999393963/its-been-a-while-since-youve-commented-on-david
>>
>been busy working all weekend and focusing on warhammer 40k 8E
>oh hey, I forgot about DoA, did anything happen?
>nope.
shocker.
>>
File: Thumbs Up Agent Cooper.gif (499KB, 498x286px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs Up Agent Cooper.gif
499KB, 498x286px
>>93308843

>>MFW my "Where's the Joke Willis" graphic gets a space.
>>
>>93307387
God, that was an amazing ride
>>
>>93310218
IH had every reason to fail and succeeded
DoA has every reason to succeed and well…
>>
>>93307695
If Willis is going to have Becky try to hook Leslie up with someone, he should at least have Becky mirror Joyce in that regard.
>>
>>93301583

The funny thing is I think he actually likes (or can stand) his dad and hates his mother.

But I imagine within the confines of his comic, the ultimate enemy is "the Patriarchy".
>>
>>93301917

Jesus, what a spergy bitch.

You think he's jealous some random anon did better than he did?
>>
>>93217295

people still read this huh
>>
>>93309680

Well she's got our number
>>
>>93312676
speak for yourself, i come here to laugh at the retards on this board actually invested in this shite just as much as I do to laugh at the actual strip
>>
>>93307741
It's going to end in Becky and Leslie hooking up and we'll get the Ruth/Billie "oh no this is wrong... BUT SO RIGHT" shit on steroids.
>>
>>93301917
>criticize someone's work via a fan-edit
>"You don't respect me as a person!"

That's not how this works, Willis. Attacking, criticizing or commenting upon a creator's work is not equal to attacking the creator.

"This cartoon had to have been written by some retarded asshole." = attacking the creator

"This cartoon is bad and doesn't show the emotionally complexity and depth of a scene, instead ending with a glib, hackneyed 'lol fuk u'." = attacking the work.

Granted, we do a lot of the former here too. That tends to happen when the creator is also a thin-skinned, spite-filled bag of hackery. But the above example isn't. Willis isn't mentioned in it at all. It's clearly an attempt to show how the scene could have played out in different circumstances and been better for it.

Then again, we're talking about someone who translates 'criticism' as 'getting shit on', so sure. If you equate any comment on your work that is less than unfailingly praiseworthy as feces dripping onto your face, then of course we're the assholes here.
>>
>>93301917
but Willis is totally right, making your drama comics have some kind of emotional impact is totally a cliche. we should commend his research into empty drama. thanks Willis!
>>
>>93312731
>shite
I come here to laugh at people from islands
>>
File: Could be!.png (187KB, 574x433px) Image search: [Google]
Could be!.png
187KB, 574x433px
>>93312623
>>
>>93314576
Every comic strip should end with a joke! Every storyline should end with a joke! Every book should end with a joke!

No one likes drama at all.
>>
>>93316757
Every storyline, doesn't need to end with a joke, Ryan's didn't.

It needs to end with sticking it to people you don't like.
>>
>>93312864
That would be an actual conflict, and we can't have any of that. Not only would it conflict with Becky/Dina's relationship, it would be an older woman/younger woman relationship, which would be controversial in itself.

>>93313676
The entire work of "Dumbing of Age" is an extension of Willis; the characters are expressions of his inner thoughts and emotions, and the stories are all fantasies of real-world events and how he wishes they would be resolved.
>>
>>93316972
>the characters are expressions of his inner thoughts and emotions
Didn't someone in a previous thread work out what each character represented?
>>
File: aqkYP[1].gif (506KB, 360x272px) Image search: [Google]
aqkYP[1].gif
506KB, 360x272px
>>93316860
A seemingly threatening guy getting owned by a small girl is pretty funny.
>>
>>93317019
Willis came out with a partial list on Tumblr:
>Joyce = his frustrations regarding religion and sex
>Walky = his childishness
>Amber = his repressed anger
>Ruth/Billie = his alcoholism
>Mike = his desire to speak openly and abrasively
>Dina = his inability to understand others
>Ethan = his fandom

Danny, Mary, and Dorothy are special cases: Danny is the person that Willis saw himself during his Roomies days, and is a person that Willis himself no longer identifies with. Mary is the kind of person that Willis had seen as a perfect partner, but eventually grew out of admiring/desiring. Dorothy is the ideal person that Willis sees himself as one day becoming, whatever that means.

What other characters are we missing? I know there's Leslie, Robin, Roz, and Joe; who else is there?
>>
File: 9-1.jpg (79KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
9-1.jpg
79KB, 500x273px
>>93317099
So it's like the movie 9?
>>
>>93317019
Yep! Here's the Doc with all of the info:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SNqEtHsg_a2zm0ryB0rG8CzTLEVitftj4kQZ_Kg-Hsg/edit?pref=2&pli=1

The psychology stuff starts on page 31.

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/44925990876/whats-your-opinion-of-danny-your-comments-on-the
>Danny = Willis' past that he no longer identifies with
>Joyce = Willis' sexual and religious insecurities
>Ethan = Willis' fandom interactions
>Amber = Willis' frustrations and rage
>Dina = Willis' inabilities to understand human interactions
>Walky = Willis' childish tendencies
>Ruth (and Billis?) = Willis' self-destruction and depression
>Mike = Willis' repressed thoughts and comments
>Dorothy = Willis' ideal self he wishes to become

>Amber is his anger, Ruth/Billie are his alcoholism, Joyce is his sexual/religious frustrations, Ethan is his joy of fandom, etc. Danny is how Willis sees himself in the Roomies era, and has said that he very much dislikes the kind of person Danny is, similar in a way to how he initially created Mary as his dream girl only to realize he didn't actually like girls with her personality.

>So when Dorothy breaks up with Danny to fuck Walky, while Danny goes and fucks Amber only to end up gay for Ethan, you have Willis' aspirations breaking up with Willis' past to go fuck Willis' childishness, while Willis' past self-image goes to fuck Willis' anger issues, then stand around to be buttfucked by Willis' fandom love. Meanwhile, Willis' alcoholism is fucking itself because it's so sloshed it's seeing double.
>>
>>93317114
Having never seen the movie myself, yes.

>>93317118
I'm never going to get over my typo of "Billie" as "Billis".
>>
>>93317159
That makes me smile and laugh every time. I love it.
>>
>>93317159
In the Movie '9', the 9 rag-dolls in the movie are revealled to be given life by way of soul transfusion.
Essentially, they each have a fragment of a scientist's soul.
>>
>>93313676
Can you imagine how many stories we'd be deprived of if every author was as sensitive and defensive as Willis?
>>
>>93316972
>>93317543
Oh, I know.

To expand: It's not bad for an artist to put themselves in a work or to express themselves or try and work out their feelings on a person, situation and issue, but ever since Shortpacked started winding down, Willis hasn't been so much expressing himself as marinating in a broth of his own negative emotions. It's like that old, old fake Christian humour comic* - the jokes originally start out blander than current-day Garfield, but as the artist has an ongoing mental breakdown, the story tone becomes darker. The characters lose faith, they talk about suicide and the strip 'ends' and the site stops updating when the author's self-insert kills themself.

In Shortpacked, you can see the transition from slice-of-life wacky hijinks to 'my politics, let me tell you them AND how terrible you are for not sharing them' and 'this is a person i don't like, so let me show you that they are bad'. In DoA we've reached peak literary incest. Almost every character is not only a previous creation, but also an author self-insert and/or outright protected by authoritorial fiat.

There's also nothing wrong with a bit of wish fulfillment in writing fiction, but when you do it constantly, when you have to break the laws of your own universe and sabotage your own stories and characters to do it, there's a problem and it's not with the critics.

There's also nothing wrong with being proud of your work, but you have to be able to view it objectively and to separate it from yourself. As the creator, you always have the right to say 'no, I like what I'm doing here' but you also have to recognize that people can legitimately disagree or dislike aspects of your work, both technical and narrative, without being Xist or Xphobic.
>>
>>93317024
It's also my fetish.
>>
File: IMG_1363.jpg (26KB, 295x248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1363.jpg
26KB, 295x248px
>>93317901
>that old, old fake Christian humour comic*
i'm assuming you mean Doobl?
http://doobl.comicgenesis.com/d/20060623.html it's real short. you can probably finish the whole thing in less than 30 mins
>>
>>93316972
I've actually half-forgotten that Becky and Dina are supposed to be dating considering how utterly inconsequential/non-existant it feels.
>>
>>93318984
But Becky is TOTALLY LEZZERS.
>>
File: 1461248393551.jpg (87KB, 800x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1461248393551.jpg
87KB, 800x1133px
>>93309680
But what if my waifu... was drawn WELL?
>>
>>93319533
She's still awful by virtue of being stuck under the thumb of Willis.
You must save her.
>>
>>93318984
Dina? Who's that?

(But seriously, where is Dina? How long has it been since we last saw her? It was right before the stabbing, right?)
>>
>>93317901
>outright protected by authoritorial fiat
Virtue shielding. It's when a character is immune to what's been established as in-world consequences for their actions.
>>
>>93320553
>>93317118
>The psychology stuff
This regrettably goes a long way towards explaining how his subsequent settings and narratives recycle those characters.

He wasn't creating characters so much as making gijinka of his own demons and we all know how cancerous Channel-Tans are.

The unspoken commandment of art is "Thou Shalt Not Give Away Your Tricks" but because that's more artifice than art some snowflakes don't care for it.
>>
>>93320247
I think she even skipped the floor meeting. She's becoming Dina the Delinquent.
>>
>>93318650
I'm assuming they're talking about Faith Mouse.
>>
>>93320247
>>93320673
Yes, she skipped the floor meeting. The last we saw of her was pushing Joyce out of her room when Becky found the dinosaur pajamas.

Because I guess Dina is sexually attracted to dinosaurs?

Anyways, that was it.
>>
>>93320966
This is the major problem with the pacing, the Glacial movement would be fine if we didn't also skip between plots constantly.
>>
>>93317099
>>93317118

>quirky
>in-your-face
>sticks it to conservative christian parents
>loved by everybody
>gay
>going to be something cool like a scientist once she sorts that out
Becky = the girl he wishes he were.
>>
>>93321146
I wonder what would happen if we took each plot and kept it together. Like collecting all of the relevant strips and seeing what they look like without interruptions.
>>
>>93319533
Is there more?

>>93320673
See now, that would be an interesting place to take Dina.
>>
>>93321308
You don't even have to do that, just binge read the strips. He's formatted entirely for the trade, where the constant crosscutting doesn't matter, while for some reason adhering to the daily strip format on the site.
>>
File: Cute.png (85KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
Cute.png
85KB, 400x529px
As you wish.
>>
>>93321298
I think Becky is less the girl he wishes he were (since I'm pretty sure that's Dorothy) and is more like the daughter or sister he wishes he had, if not simply the lesbian or waifu he feels the need to protect.
>>
Saw this in a recent DoA thread and thought it worth reposting, in regards to Carla only *pretending* to be an awful person:

>It's such an annoying position. Saying asshole things and being inconsiderate isn't "pretending to be an asshole" it's being an asshole. Knocking someone over doing parkour and leaving them to pick up their laundry isn't "pretend" it's a real action.

>Also, "when the chips were down" with Ruth she basically acted as if they weren't real people with real emotions until she found out they were, and then instantly removed herself from any of the responsibility in the least appropriate way ever. And on top of that, the idea of going to Carla for help when you know how she normally behaves is crazy in the first place. It's more likely that she would never have to help anyone, because of her reputation.

>But yeah that one time Amber was bleeding out and Carla encountered her, Carla held a compress on the wound, so she's a completely selfless hero.
>>
File: JoyceSarahHappening.png (176KB, 304x420px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceSarahHappening.png
176KB, 304x420px
>>93321773
>tfw someone reposts your post
>>
>>93321298
Are you implying Willy wants to be a scientist? Because he consistently ignores facts and even basic laws of physics.
>>
File: CAN'T. STOP. BEING. QUIRKY..png (149KB, 705x546px) Image search: [Google]
CAN'T. STOP. BEING. QUIRKY..png
149KB, 705x546px
>>
File: Puddin'.png (94KB, 321x332px) Image search: [Google]
Puddin'.png
94KB, 321x332px
Which version of Pudding Head's hair is worse?
>>
>>93321308
On the one hand, they'd be a lot easier to follow and the tone whiplash wouldn't be as bad.
on the other, plot holes and the tone whiplash that would still be there would stick out like a sore thumb, and be more painful.
>>
>>93303221
I remember this panel making me sad. No wonder why she sucks now
>>
>>93323865
Both.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
They both look like shit.
>>
>>93325645
Sounds like Becky takes after Carlos. I can see her saying that too.
>>
>>93323865
left
both are stupid but at least the right TRIES to look like it's original color growing out rather than someone slam dunked their Jello pudding on her
>>
thsi sucks
>>
this sucks
>>
wow a whole thread about you idiots hating a comic, necrobumped and kept alive just so you could stall for the next comic instead of either moving on with your lives or just making a new one when it comes out.
How pathetic
>>
>>93327892
that's literally why I made >>93308843 so we could avoid making the same fucking thread over and over
>>
>>93327892
>wow a whole thread about you idiots hating a comic
isnt every thread on /co/ about hating comics?
>>
File: There it goes.gif (483KB, 495x278px) Image search: [Google]
There it goes.gif
483KB, 495x278px
>>93327892
>>
>>93327892
wow a whole post by someone with even less to do than read a shitty webcomic and comment on it occasionally and is constantly trying to force his necrobump meme on 4chan
How sad
>>
necrobump lel
We're on Page 9 and auto-saging. I vote we just make a new thread when the new one drops.
>>
>>93328656
I'm just going to delete this thread. I don't want to have two threads at any point, and I'm going to bed right after I post the new comic
>>
>>93323865

I really hate seeing her in a strip.
>>
>>93328899
That works too.
Personally, I'm just gonna use the new thread to farm for reaction images, since we've got a new porn comic coming soon. I may also have an idea for how to deal with all the porn pin-ups Willis has been making for the past few months.
>>
>>93328899
>I'm just going to delete this thread.
No you aren't because you can't
>>
>>93329103
Watch me
>>
>>93329103
>>93329151
Huh, I'm an asshole. Never tried to delete a post this old before I guess
>>
>>93329175
Well, we're on Page 10, so we might as well make a new thread and let this rot.
>>
>>93329192
Done.

G'night everybody
>>
well apparently we have a very attentive janitor who noticed that this thread is still alive
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 87

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.