[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong that I like eastern animation better (Like akira,)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1495197031970.jpg (97KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495197031970.jpg
97KB, 1280x960px
Is it wrong that I like eastern animation better (Like akira,) but prefer a lot of western style stories? (Venture bro's comes to mind.)
>>
File: images[1].jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>93205393
That's your preference. Nobody has the right to make you change it.
>>
I could see that. The way I see it the west has better story telling ability while the east is more willingly to explore a far vaster and more bizarre array of concepts, settings and ideas. At least in the realm of comics and cartoons (which too an extent comes down primarily to volume). You get some truly outrageous and far fetched ideas from most Japanese animes and manga, but by and large a lot of traditional Japanese storytelling conventions are highly inferior to the West and often their best work bucks those trends indicative of Japanese media. Like their absolute fucking glut of exposition for instance.

Don't even get me started on Japanese comedy.
>>
File: 1467051382141.jpg (40KB, 514x459px) Image search: [Google]
1467051382141.jpg
40KB, 514x459px
>>93205393
>Is it wrong to appreciate two things for different reasons instead of having a 'winning team' mentality?
>>
>>93205393
No, nothing wrong with that. Enjoy what you like.
>>
>>93205393
Very few anime series have actual human characters. They're googly eyed, big headed, and over emoting.

They're basically baseball mascots.
>>
>>93205393
yes it's wrong
>>
>>93205393
Eastern animation is on a visual level better animated these days. The anime industry just has fewer restrictions on it than the west, which is either "Adult humor", "Children comedy", or "Babies", which allows the artists to really try to stretch the boundaries which in turn allows artists to actively compete to be the best.

On the other hand I think that the East is fucking shackled to its tropes in certain ways, from its incomprehensible humor to its shitty grasp of meta gags to turning lazy overused character tropes into fucking archetypes to its just weird obsession with certain plotlines and concepts that the west really doesn't have.

When the East isn't busy sucking its own dick it can make some genuine gold, but when it's bogged down in its own filth it really becomes an acquired taste.
>>
>>93205625
When you word it like that,
>>93205661
>>93205450
Thanks,
>>93205501
I fucking hate most comedy, Japanese comedy has some of the most repetitive comedies. American 'standerd' comedy is trash, but some of the non "toilet/outrageous" humor is pretty good. (Again Venture Bro's is excellent, and I do enjoy Rick and Morty.
>>
Some nip Literature is good. (No Longer Human is a gem in the rough,) but mostly it's the repetitive nature of tropes in japan
>>
>>93205393
>there will never be a crossover where Freakazoid annoys Saitama to the brink of insanity, but Saitama can't land a punch because Freakazoid functions on Bugs Bunny physics
>>
>>93205393
That's kinda why Batman the animated series is god tier /co/ kino. It was some of the best batman stories written by batfags for batfags and animated by the ghost in the Shell studio.
>>
>>93205393

I personally can't stand the stiffness of anime (in general) like when two or more characters are talking and there's no movement besides their mouths flapping and the camera panning and zooming.

But I do like the stories and characters, I'm half way through LotGH and it's great. And of course there's really fluid tv anime like Lupin III. I don't think one is better than the other, but in Japan the industry is bigger and not dominated by one/two companies so they can have a bigger talent pool and have more creative freedom.
>>
I would certainly want to see a combination of the two.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.