[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /co/ prefer organic or mechanical webshooters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 18

File: WebShooters_Main.jpg (100KB, 774x423px) Image search: [Google]
WebShooters_Main.jpg
100KB, 774x423px
>>
>>93198911
Either or, but if I had to choose, I'd go with mechanical.
>>
Mechanical for Peter. Don't give a fuck about it for the other spider heroes. And when I say mechanical, I mean full on mechanical. No half-and-half shit where he harvests the fluid from his own body or makes nozzles that plug into his spinneret arm holes to help him shot web, none of that shit.

If you think otherwise you're a dumb faggot who doesn't get Spider-Man.
>>
>>93198911
Sure.
>>
>>93198911
Completely mechanical.
>>
>>93198911
Organic.
>>
>steel nipple
>>
I like the combination, actually. He can naturally generate the fluid but requires some sort of apperatus to concentrate and shoot it.
>>
Mechanical all the way
>>
Mechanical webshooters are better.

However I do like the microhairs on fingertips for adhesion more than molecular bonding or whatever.
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical. Peter has to show he's smart somehow.
>>
>>93199351
>Mechanical. Peter has to show he's smart somehow.
Yep. Any story that removes the mechanical web shooter elements tend to also remove his genius elements.
>>
>>93198911
I like mechanical web shooters from a mere design perspective because it makes Peter being a scientist part of the characters powers, otherwise Spiderman is all mutant
>>
>>93199385
People should also remember that with the web shooters, Peter chose his identity as Spider-Man. He could have been any kind of hero just with the powers he got from the bite, but he made them all his own and made the spider theme. If he already had webs, even ones that needed an apparatus to shoot properly, then he loses that.

Peter wasn't made into Spider-Man, HE made Spider-Man.
>>
>>93198961
>who doesn't get it
>>
>>93199444
gives a bit more edge to the whole jonah jameson thing, doesn't it?
>>
>>93199539
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>93199617
kill youself you shit eating faggot you just don't get it.
>>
>>93198961
>doesn't understand spiderman
>only acknowledges one
kill yourself you self important Parker fag
>>
>>93199711
Not quite. I don't care about whether it's organic or mechanical for other spider heroes because I don't feel that it's as important to their characters. When I clarified that I was talking about Peter at the start of the post, from context you should understand that when I say "Spider-Man" at the end I am still talking about Peter, AKA Spider-Man.

Side note, it's funny that you seem to care so much about other spider-men and yet neglect to hyphenate Spider-Man.
>>
>>93199711
>one guy creates his superhero identity and makes mechanical enhancements for his alterego
>some fag decides to copy him because gotta have 'spiderman 2: it's not black spiderman just spiderman'
legacy characters are shit
>>
>>93199783
>caring enough to spell thing correctly outside of working in the industry
you have a lot more patience than I do, I can tell you that much
>>
File: 1462694862326.png (810KB, 900x915px) Image search: [Google]
1462694862326.png
810KB, 900x915px
>>93198911

Both.

He is spider-man, I like the idea of him experimenting his own body and creating better equipment.

And explaining how he got web without using "he invented out of nowhere".
>>
>>93199797
Pretty sure he was talking about Ben, Miguel, Kaine, and maybe the female spider heroes as well. There's a lot.
>>
>>93199813
>And explaining how he got web without using "he invented out of nowhere".
What's wrong with an inventor inventing something? He got the idea from being bitten by a spider.
>>
>>93199826
>Ben, Miguel, Kaine
>and maybe the female spider
all shit
>lol I'ma just try to do exactly what this guy is doing but be shitty at it because I'm his legacy lmao like I'm spiderman, spiderdude prime is a fag
>>
>>93199846
You're trying too hard, anon. And also showing that you don't know anything about the characters. Low quality bait, all in all.
>>
>>93198911
I prefer organic because it makes sense that if he has all the other powers of a spider he should have webs too.

>Lol it should come out of his butt then
His powers haven't ever lined up exactly with a Spider, no reason to start now.

I like the "flexibility" of the web fluid to be able to do cool things, but as writers have shown time and time again his webshooters are generally plot crutches so that villains can get away with things.

First three storylines in Brand New Day and the villain escapes or wins because Peter runs out of web fluid. Recent fight against Osborn he turned Peter's webshooters off. He's had them crushed in fights so that he can't use them. On and on.
>>
>>93199886
Miguel's backstory is literally that he tried to be spiderman
>>
>>93199837
>What's wrong with an inventor inventing something? He got the idea from being bitten by a spider.

1. Everybody got organic webbing 2. He is teenager, he shouldn't be doing this. 3. I didn't say artificial webs can't exist.
>>
Organic.
But only when they're in the anatomically correct place.
>>
>>93199916
>Everybody got organic webbing
Ben, Miles, and Gwen don't have it either. Also Peter came first, not after. Unless you want to retcon him into having organic to line up with characters that came from him, this isn't much of a point. It would still be a stupid point though.

>He is teenager, he shouldn't be doing this.
Doing what, making gadgets or being a vigilante? One is more acceptable than the other.

>I didn't say artificial webs can't exist.
Then what's the problem?
>>
>>93199846
>Ben
>Not great
Get the fuck out of my face. The Parker Brothers was a great idea that was squandered.
>>
>>93198911

I liked the idea of organic however at the end of the day the mechanical gadget based ones have to win the day due to

a) having a known limited supply (vs a potentially unknown limited supply)

and most importantly

b) WAY more things it can do. The gadget based web shooters can fire webs in all sorts of different patterns and combinations but also use different formula based webs for different enemies.
>>
>>93199964
>Doing what, making gadgets or being a vigilante? One is more acceptable than the other.

I mean, I get it, He is smart. But, making up a invention only weeks after getting bitten by a spider is strange.

>Ben, Miles, and Gwen don't have it either. Also Peter came first, not after. Unless you want to retcon him into having organic to line up with characters that came from him, this isn't much of a point. It would still be a stupid point though.

I mean it already happen in comics and it is canon. Peter got organic and mechanic webbing.

>Then what's the problem?

I did say I prefer both. I prefer the artificial coming after the organic.
>>
Mechanic web shooter. I really like the idea o "instinctive invention". As in his instincts helped him invent it. Also, establishing that normal people can't actually hold on to a string of web is really important.
>>
>>93198911
Organic is way cooler in my opinion, makes it more uniquely Spiderman to me.
>>
>>93198911
Organic because it's the only spider power that actually makes sense.

I understand that Peter would lose his "genius" element but if you have to make such aburdities just to prove he's smart, then it's a charater trait that isn't supposed to be there.

You can prove he's smart with... y'know, plot.
>>
>>93200113
>But, making up a invention only weeks after getting bitten by a spider is strange.
Not really. He's a super genius, one of the smartest characters in the Marvel universe. He just never had many chances to properly pursue science, and when he had those chances he invented lots of high tech stuff.

>I mean it already happen in comics and it is canon. Peter got organic and mechanic webbing.
He got organic webbing after the Other. Which was retconned.
>>
>>93200200
>He got organic webbing after the Other. Which was retconned.

Actually, They did mention he got organic webbing in spider-island.
>>
>>93200243
All I remember is him mentioning to Carlie to load up on starches and fluids or something if she wants to build up internal webbing faster. Either way, he doesn't have organic webbing anymore.
>>
Mechanical, but organic makes more sense, spiders don't have "spider sense", they make webs.
>>
>>93200113
This is Marvel, where you don't need superpowers to make advanced weaponry at age 9.
>>
>>93200281
He was 15.
>>
>>93199941
Everybody gets one.
>>
>>93200158
>web shooters
>an absurdity
What? And he does prove that he's smart in other ways, all the time. And he doesn't need organic webs to reinforce being Spider-Man. He chose the identity for himself, which is something that has actually been brought up.
>>
I like organic shooters more, except with Peter, I like him having mechanical webshooters.
>>
>>93200332
A teenager making Nobel prize tier, revolutionary devices overnight in his room IS absurd and not in the "this is a fantasy reality" flavor of it. It's more like a huge asspull.

I wouldn't go back and change the '60s comic of course, but if I had to make a new Peter origin reboot or something, I'd scrap the shooters and have him be smart in other ways.
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical.
>>
>>93200298
Euh... that's technically shitting, isn't it?
>>
>>93200405
Web shooters aren't revolutionary. They wouldn't even be revolutionary in the real world, let alone in Marvel. For starters, Peter's webs dissolve after an hour. That wasn't intentional, he couldn't get them to hold for longer. When Otto took over as Superior Spider-Man, he's the one who made them able to last longer. Secondly, I don't see how they have any unique appliances that would make them so incredibly amazing and worthy of a Nobel prize. Care to explain that one to me?
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical all the way.
>>
>>93200295
Are you seriously too dense to realize I wasn't specifically talking about Peter?
>>
>>93200468
Are you saying that an all-powerful glue that can hold several tons as a tiny string wouldn't have any industrial or scientific applications?
>>
>>93198911
On one hand, mechanical helps show off Peter's genius.

On the other, without organic, outside of clinging to walls, Spider-man really doesn't have too many abilities that are exactly associated with spiders.
>>
>>93198911
"Steel Nipple" sounds like a Crimson Chin villain
>>
Organic: Peter Parker has developed entire clusters of glands that can spit sticky fluid without fucking up his metabolism too much and without deforming hus arms in a horrible manner.

Mechanical: In his high school, Peter Parker was smarter then any scientist in the world and managed to invent his web liquid and delivery system from the scratch.

Organic seems more plausible.
>>
>>93200516
Is that super important though? Would Batman be better if he had bat powers?
>>
>>93200158
>"makes sense"

Powers that are specifically spider-themes take away Peter's agency in becoming Spider-Man and dilute the character traits that were born from this setup (quick to assume, resourceful and inventive when inspired, sentimental, etc). May as well give Batman natural flight.
>>
>>93200506
No, because there are already devices for that that are better suited for the job. While webbing can hold a lot, it can also be burned, cut, and it would be dangerous because of how it would stretch and bounce around anything suspended by it. And as I said, when Peter made it it had the weakness of dissolving after one hour. Too unreliable for any kind of industrial work. And I don't know what you mean by scientific applications.
>>
>>93200559
>And I don't know what you mean by scientific applications.
NASA etc
>>
>>93200576
You're going to have to be more specific.
>>
>>93200506
>glue that only lasts one hour that only one guy in the world can handle.

It would fill a very small niche, and we already have processes in place for things like temp binding and such. It's like creating paintballs that can move at high speeds but exert the force of a shoulder tap. Useful in exactly one situation, but unless you can rework the entire concept it won't be terribly ubiquitous.

Like, the only thing web fluid is good for is casts, and even then it's a substandard impromptu implementation.
>>
>>93200526
This is Marvel.
Franklin Richards exists.
There is no cap on children's ingenuity here.
>>
File: 1383720720910.png (365KB, 865x736px) Image search: [Google]
1383720720910.png
365KB, 865x736px
>>93200540
also a fair arguement, I really do lean more towards mechanical shooters, but it does almost make one wonder about if the spider-bite is important?

Who the fuck am I kidding? in this era of 'oh-so-clever-subversion-and-ridicule' of the capeshit genre, the eternal embrace of Spider-man's powers being from a radioactive spiderbite is practically pleasant compared to more convoluted attempts to explain.

As a side note, I'm kind of surprised no one's written a Genius Pete where he has a youtube channel like these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/user/everettbradford/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnselmoFanZero/videos

At least before he becomes spider-man.
>>
>>93200576
Webbing holds up terribly in cold temperatures, so it wouldn't be good for space. There was a whole story where Peter was fucked over by a blizzard messing up his webs.
>>
>>93200621
The power coming from the spider is fine, but the expectation that his powers are inherently spider-themed sicks.

Falling into a chemical vat doesn't make you Vat Man.
>>
>>93200600

Why are you disregarding usage of web fluid for crime fighting purposes? Thats what spider man uses them for. Just package them up in a little gun and you got yourself a totally non lethal taser substitute. Heck, you wouldnt even need to give cops regular guns any more they would be so effective.
>>
File: 19508726._SX540_.jpg (39KB, 540x338px) Image search: [Google]
19508726._SX540_.jpg
39KB, 540x338px
>>93200674
No, but it does make your enemy bat man
>>
File: b231.jpg (71KB, 571x289px) Image search: [Google]
b231.jpg
71KB, 571x289px
>>93200674
>Falling into a chemical vat doesn't make you Vat Man.
Now that was a good one, anon.
>>
>>93198911
It is hard to say. Mechanical gives him more flashy options but organic ties into his powers better. If I wanted a better story, I would say organic. If I wanted better action, mechanical.
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical is the only way.
>>
>>93200682
The webbing can be cut and burned, the fluid isn't cheap eve for smaller batches, and in colder temperatures it's just useless. It wouldn't work so well as a mass produced substitute for already established law enforcement equipment. Not to mention other possibilities like how criminals would prepare for it by just getting their hands on the dissolving agent that would be made alongside it.
>>
>>93200682
Peter has magic PamSol laced hands.
Most people don't.

Combine the fact that people simply cannot unstick themselves from it and this shit is apparently dirt cheap to make, and you have a worldwide epidemic of cheaper, more deadly guns (suffocation) that don't even leave a trace.
>>
>>93200778
>isn't cheap
Relatively.
It's cheaper than rent in Queens, as there are times Pete can't pony up but has just enough for some webs.
>>
Mechanical.

Also no Spider-Totem, Spider-God nonsense, fuck that noise
>>
>>93200778
>criminals would prepare for it by just getting their hands on the dissolving agent
seriously?
>>
>>93200904
Not that anon, but if the fluid was more widely used the dissolving agent would be more widely used as well. It would take only one super villain reverse engineering it to undo all the good it could do. It would turn gunfights into games where the bad guys kept 'reviving' downed teammates.
>>
>>93200983
>It would take only one super villain reverse engineering it to undo all the good it could do.
It wouldn't. That's like expecting every petty criminal to carry all sorts of useful gear as well as kevlar vests. Heck, even Spidey's arch-enemies don't use it and you'd imagine they'd have figured out by now.
>>
I prefer organic. It feels weird to me that all of Peter's spider powers are organic, except the web.
>>
File: 1454726800366.png (16KB, 148x148px) Image search: [Google]
1454726800366.png
16KB, 148x148px
>>93198911
Mechanical sucks balls, what's the point of peter being spiderman, being bitten by a spider if he doesn't have any spider powers besides climbing on walls, he might as well be called tree-frog man.
Like I get that he's supposed to be smart and all, but does that mean he has to be some kind of super genius who can pull amazing world shattering inventions out of his ass?
To me it just makes him seem like a marry sue, not only is he super buff and strong and honorable and funny and brave he's also a genius inventor, I thought the whole point of spider man is that he's more grounded, he's one of us, except he's got super powers, with his super intelligence he could already have been a super hero even before the spider incident. Also there's enough mega geniuses in Marvel, spiderman being an amazing inventor adds basically nothing to his character.
>>
>>93200983

Your right! just like in real life where every criminal wears a bullet proof vest and electrically insulating suit! Silly me, of course the webs would be useless.
>>
I like the idea of mechanical shooters, but the webs being produced organically. A bonus would be if they were produced at the anatomically correct area and peter would have to find time/privacy to harvest from it.
>>
>>93200559
Webbing pound for pound is the most durable material on earth you retard, if you had spider webbing as thick as a rope I can tell you you would have a hell of a hard time cutting or burning it. There's also no other material as flexible and light for that durability.

>and it would be dangerous because of how it would stretch and bounce around anything suspended by it
Yeah that's why spiders use it all the time for everything they do, because it's so dangerous

>when Peter made it it had the weakness of dissolving after one hour
He could adjust it so that wouldn't happen, easily
>>
File: Untitled.png (44KB, 922x217px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
44KB, 922x217px
>>93201258
>He could adjust it so that wouldn't happen, easily
>>
>>93201258
The rhetorical gymnastics in defense of mechanical shooters always amaze me
>>
Mechanical when he's young then mutate into organic when he's older
>>
File: 1489750107490.gif (973KB, 430x227px) Image search: [Google]
1489750107490.gif
973KB, 430x227px
>>93201140
>he thinks spidey's only abilities are webbing and climbing walls
fuck summer
>>
>>93199351
This.
>>
>>93201424
you're dodging it and it's pathetic
>>
>>93198911
Organic is retarded. Mechaninc is less retarded.
>>
>>93201140
>>93201487
>what's the point of peter being spiderman, being bitten by a spider if he doesn't have any spider powers besides climbing on walls
You could try scrolling up and reading the multiple arguments made for this in this very thread.

Peter chose to be Spider-Man. That's essential to his character.
>>
>>93201258
>Webbing pound for pound is the most durable material on earth you retard
Do you have a source for that? Because a cursory google search says that it isn't even stronger than steel, let alone all the other things you claimed.

>Yeah that's why spiders use it all the time for everything they do, because it's so dangerous
This isn't even a rebuttal.

>He could adjust it so that wouldn't happen, easily
And do you have a source for that? The one hour tidbit literally comes from a page explaining why Peter couldn't sell the webbing as an industrial adhesive, implying that he already tried to adjust it.
>>
>>93200904
>seriously?
Yes, seriously. Unless it's some petty thief doing a mugging or robbing a store. Serious criminals would in fact prepare for it, and other criminals would sell bootleg dissolving agents.
>>
I always thought mechanical was cooler. The fact that Peter's most spider-themed feature is his own invention adds to his mystique.
>>
>>93202296
In the final analysis, I have to go for mechanical because of this.

I'm OK with organic, but having him actually build something makes him more than a schlub with themed powers.
>>
Looks like a resounding victory for mechanical this time around.
>>
>>93198961
No fuck that.

Mechanical is fucking stupid.

Only having two super powers is gay.
>>
>>93198911
As a kid I preferred organic, because it used to piss me off when he ran out all the time in the cartoon. Now I prefer mechanical, since it shows off his super-science side.
>>
File: SMCar.jpg (52KB, 442x250px) Image search: [Google]
SMCar.jpg
52KB, 442x250px
>>93198911
neither

fuck webshooters, pic related is where it's at.
>>
>>93199895
What makes you think they won't make the same bs with organic webs? Whoops forgot to eat can't shoot webs whoops broke my arm can't shoot webs whoops got aids can't shoot webs
>>
>>93198911
It doesn't make any thematic sense for someone with spider-based superpowers to not be able to make webbing. So organic is more sensible. But they should just make him have one organic shooter in one wrist and have a mechanical one for the other so he can create web fluid with modified properties, etc.
>>
>>93205195
>two

>super strength
>wall crawling/electrostatic cling
>danger sense
>super agility
>super reflexes
>enhanced flexibility
>enhanced equilibrium
>enhanced durability

And more, if you want to go into other spider heroes.
>>
>>93205839
Thing is those would (and do) sound a lot dumber than simple mechanical failure.
>>
>>93205986
Peter made the theme himself, doofus. That's the point of the web shooters. He didn't just go "Hey, all these powers make me seem like a spider, so I'll be Spider-Man!". He wanted to break into show business so he made up the Spider-Man persona himself because he linked his newfound abilities to the spider bite, and then used his brains to make the web shooters. Which one sounds better and more creative to you? Him being handed the spider theme on a silver platter or him creating it himself with his other talents?

Batman didn't become Orphan Man, did he? No, he made his own theme.
>>
>>93206332
>Peter made the theme himself
No, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created his spider theme and it was a major oversight not to give him web powers.
>>
Organic because Mechanical just sounds stupid implanted. If they want to bother showing that he is smart than why does he only one gadget. You got shit like the spider-tracer but rarely do stories take advantage over that fact he is a mechanical genius and prefer to focus on his normal everyday life.
>>
>>93198911
Organic, because mechanical webshooters raise too many questions about how such a useful device hasn't been invented by anyone other than Spiderman if it's so simple and cheap to make, or why Parker hasn't really tried to capitalize on his invention if he's so poor.
Like why not just trade a webshooter to Tony Stark for a bunch of cash, and then let Tony sell the webshooters to every police force on earth so they can do their jobs better? Everyone would win from this transaction.
>>
>>93198911

Mechanical, if not simply for the fact you can use him running out of a web cartridge and having to switch while falling, or running out entirely, as a story point.

The classic about to shoot a web at someone getting away and theres no fluid left, *cue dramatic fists raised to the sky*
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>93200444
No, it would be shitting if it was poop.
That's closer to breast milk than poop.
>>
>>93205644
I felt similarly as a kid, but because I kept running out in a GameBoy game.
Fucker had no webs.
>>
>>93206683
>Spiderman
>why Parker hasn't really tried to capitalize on his invention if he's so poor.
Hello, casual.
>>
>>93206563
That's incredibly stupid reasoning. He still winds up with the spider theme either way, and one way of him getting is simply more creative and characterizing than the other. And by that I mean by having him create mechanical shooters, since I obviously have to spell that out for you.
>>
>>93206683
Read the thread before you post. That's already been covered.
>>
>>93207407
>>why Parker hasn't really tried to capitalize on his invention if he's so poor.
Yeah I know he tried to pitch it to a construction company once, but then he just sort of gave up after that and didn't try selling it anywhere else even though it's the perfect non-lethal weapon for law enforcement.

>>93207441
I don't feel like that's necessary because everyone says the same shit every time we have this thread.
>>
>>93207643
>perfect non-lethal weapon for law enforcement
You know, it really isn't.
A criminal holding a detonator is still going to be able to press the button, wrapping someone up too much could compress their chest too much for them to breathe or could fill/cover their mouth/nose.
Never mind them possibly needing medical attention but not being able to just take off the webbing because cops don't carry sharp knives or the large amount of solvent that would be needed with them.

And sure, you could say that tasers and guns already pose a health concern, but they're pre-existing and already approved methods.
Nobody is going to okay something "non-lethal" you mean "less lethal", idiot when it poses so many glaring problems.

How's this for the same shit, fuckwit?
I could even go on but I'm out of space.
>>
Mechanical, I fucking love it when Super-heroes rely on super-gear to augment their super-powers, more heroes should have specialized gear like that.
>>
>>93207414
>That's incredibly stupid reasoning
No it was incredibly stupid to not give him organic shooters. What's the first thing that people think about when they hear the word "spider"? It's webbing, not super-strength. It makes no sense that that wasn't a power given to him.
>>
>>93207880
He still has webbing though, you dolt. Although I would love to hear you explain the science of bodily mutations. "He was bit by a radioactive spider so he should grow entirely new organs in his arms", that's your logic, really? Can you back that up at all?
>>
>>93207782
>this thing that this guy regularly uses for law enforcement without any problems is suddenly too dangerous to be used for law enforcement if anyone else uses it
This is literally is the exact same shit everyone says and it never makes sense.
>but they're pre-existing and already approved methods.
So? The point I'm making is that webshooters are arguably a cheaper and less harmful alternative to pepper spray or tasers, and you could at least try to market them as law enforcement/self-defense tools.
I wasn't suggesting that they replace guns, which is specifically why I used the term "non-lethal". The difference between non-lethal and less lethal is basically just semantics, it's not worth arguing about.

I don't understand why people get so worked up and divisive about this.
>>
>>93208380
>This is literally is the exact same shit everyone says and it never makes sense.
That's probably because you ignored most of what I said.
>So?
So there's no PR disaster due to new less lethal methods killing people.
Public opinion matters a lot more than you think it does.
>cheaper
Not really, when you factor in making a proper device to ensure it can be used by people without enhanced strength/reflexes, training them to actually use it, the solvents EVERY single time you capture someone and need to cuff them or every cop having large vehicles to put people covered in webbing in, the added solvents for everything hit that isn't a criminal which will be a lot, etc. instead of just using what is already available.
>less harmful alternative to pepper spray or tasers
I actually doubt that.
There's a very high chance of people asphyxiating from untrained use.
Shit, a lot of cops aren't even good at shooting regular guns.

cont.
>>
>>93208380
>>93208655
>market them as law enforcement/self-defense tools
With any weapon, there's going to be enormous scrutiny in marketing and after a few people are choked out by them, I don't see them being sold well.
>I wasn't suggesting that they replace guns
Saying they're the "perfectnon-lethal weapon" is at least implying it.
After all, if they're perfect, what use is anything that does the same job?
>The difference between non-lethal and less lethal is basically just semantics, it's not worth arguing about.
It actually is.
Call it non-lethal when they're on less lethal creates idiots like you think they won't kill you.
Bean bag rounds are often called non-lethal and they can easily kill the fuck out of you.
Tasers are less lethal and they call kill, etc.
The webbing would be less lethal.

>I don't understand why people get so worked up and divisive about this.
Because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and don't care that you don't.
I do.
>>
>>93199384
>>93199351
>>93201442
This.Peter instantly looses chromosomes when he doesn't have his mechanics.
>>
>>93208655
>So there's no PR disaster due to new less lethal methods killing people.
That's why they would test it before using it.
The point I'm getting at is that Peter immediately used webshooters for crime fighting when he became Spiderman, but never thought to try marketing them to cops who also fight crime.
>Not really, when you factor in making a proper device to ensure it can be used by people without enhanced strength/reflexes, training them to actually use it, the solvents EVERY single time you capture someone and need to cuff them
1. Since when do web shooters require enhanced strength/reflexes
2. Tasers and pepper spray also require training, and Peter can already afford everything he needs to make and properly use webshooters on a shoestring budget.
>There's a very high chance of people asphyxiating from untrained use.
Which is why you train the cops. Spiderman doesn't even have any formal training.
Also, cops are still relatively skilled when it comes to accuracy with guns. Missing most of your shots is just an unavoidable part of using guns in a self-defense situation, which is part why revolvers are so obsolete now.
>>
I like the webmine from the new game, I think that's a great idea and am surprised it hasn't been done before
>>
>>93206332
He got bitten by a spider. Hence the name.
>>
Full on mechanical is best for Peter.
Organic is good for Kaine.
>>
>>93208918
>That's why they would test it before using it.
And you still need proper field tests.
People pretending to be criminals do not stand up to the real thing.
Regardless, there's still going to be an experimental time in active duty and people will be paying attention.
>but never thought to try marketing them to cops who also fight crime.
Because they already have their own methods.
You might as well ask why he didn't offer webs to every other super in the world.
>Since when do web shooters require enhanced strength/reflexes
Quite a while now.
I think it was during Avenging Spider-Man when he lost his powers and couldn't web without them.
If I'm wrong here, someone correct me.
>Tasers and pepper spray also require training
Yes, but there's already tried and true methods of training people.
You have to pay people to figure it out, then train people to train others and that costs a lot.
The cost of the materials are irrelevant, it's everything else that matters.

cont again.
>>
>>93208733
>Saying they're the "perfectnon-lethal weapon" is at least implying it.
No it isn't, because guns aren't "non-lethal" or even "less lethal". When you use a gun you're inherently trying to kill your target whether you want to or not, which is why cops have options like tasers and pepper spray.
>The webbing would be less lethal.
Yeah, I know it wouldn't be 100% incapable of killing people. The reason I was referring to those weapons as non-lethal is because they're designed to detain people without killing them. The fact that they can kill people doesn't mean that they normally do, or that they're designed explicitly for that purpose. The worst thing you seem to be able to say about webshooters is that they'd be roughly on par with what people already have.
>>
>>93208918
>>93209067
>Spiderman doesn't even have any formal training
Yes, but he also has super powers AND specific plot armor about not killing people.
After Kingpin called out a hit on Spidey's family, Peter showed how simple it would be to kill him with webs.
>Missing most of your shots is just an unavoidable part of using guns in a self-defense situation
Exactly.
You're going to miss with webs too, probably fucking other people.
Again, PR disaster because it's going to happen a lot, especially in the early stages.
>>93209086
>When you use a gun you're inherently trying to kill your target
>hurr what r shots to the legs
I'm not saying its likely that they'll hit properly, but not every shot had the intention of killing.
You're also overestimating how easily people die from gunshots.
They're not as lethal as people make them out to be, even though people die from them.

cont again because you're retarded.
>>
>>93209067
>Regardless, there's still going to be an experimental time in active duty and people will be paying attention.
Yes, it's unavoidable with basically any advance in technology. Tasers and pepper spray presumably went through the same testing and are now commonplace. You may as well be arguing that technology should never advance.
>You might as well ask why he didn't offer webs to every other super in the world.
The irony is that if he just started selling his invention everyone could have them anyway.
>You have to pay people to figure it out, then train people to train others and that costs a lot.
Once again, this is just like literally every other tool police have at their disposal.
>>
>>93198911

Organic. His webshooters veer to much into gadgeteer territory, and that just creates to many "I have the perfect gadget for this/ I ran out of gadgets" scenarios.
>>
>>93209086
>>93209194
>The reason I was referring to those weapons as non-lethal is because they're designed to detain people without killing them
Again, it's "less lethal".
"Non-lethal" implies it can't kill.
>The worst thing you seem to be able to say about webshooters is that they'd be roughly on par with what people already have.
Which makes them redundant.
Why add in a complete separate thing that would cost a lot more taxpayer money to design, produce, test, market to the people, media and law enforcement when there's already better options?
They're not the "perfect non-lethal weapon" and you've just said it yourself.
>>
>>93209194

No. I literally can't think of any country that treats guns as anything other than lethal force. They are so lethal that deliberately missing a shot to "warn" someone is still considered attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon in most of the western world.
>>
>>93209211
>Yes, it's unavoidable with basically any advance in technology.
Tell me why it'd be worth it when it just causes more trouble than it's worth.
Instead of having a firearm, small taser and bottle of spray, they've got to have a launcher, extra cartridges and a lot of solvent for both the suspect and the people they'll hit as well before they can even cuff them.
>You may as well be arguing that technology should never advance
No, I'm arguing that redundant technologies that cause more trouble than what's already in place is fuck-retarded.
>The irony is that if he just started selling his invention everyone could have them anyway.
The irony in this is that if they'd be so great for law enforcement, one of the thousand other supergeniuses or even regular scientists would have made their own versions.
>Once again, this is just like literally every other tool police have at their disposal
Once again, it's redundant and more trouble than everything already implemented.
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical all the way

Peter being good at science has been a part of his character since his debut and web shooters is a good way to showcase it
>>
>>93209300
>I literally can't think of any country that treats guns as anything other than lethal force.
They are lethal force, but to say that every shot is trying to someone is just plain wrong.
Is shooting someone in the foot trying to kill them?
>They are so lethal that deliberately missing a shot to "warn" someone is still considered attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon in most of the western world.
Wow, generic laws exist, who knew?

I find it funny how much of what I've said you're ignoring.
Although, I'm proud that you've not devolved into mindless shitposting about me being a gun nut or autistic, so kudos.
>>
>>93209194
>After Kingpin called out a hit on Spidey's family, Peter showed how simple it would be to kill him with webs.
Yeah, by literally shoving the webshooter in his mouth and firing it down Kingpin's throat. A cop doing that would make about as much sense as a cop randomly deciding to shoot a suspect in the head after already he's already handcuffed.
>You're going to miss with webs too, probably fucking other people.
So cops already miss and hurt innocent bystanders with weapons that are explicitly mean to kill, but it would be an unacceptable PR disaster if they did it with a far less lethal device that has much less risk involved because webs can't go through people and walls? Really makes you think.
>>hurr what r shots to the legs
Literally nobody who's qualified to teach you how to shoot will tell you to do this. You *always* aim for center of mass with a gun. Aiming for limbs means you're even more likely to miss critical shots or fail to incapacitate your attacker, and even if you do hit you can still easily cause them to bleed out by hitting an artery. It's really ironic that you'd say that shit after accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about.
>>
>>93209402
>Tell me why it'd be worth it when it just causes more trouble than it's worth.
>No, I'm arguing that redundant technologies that cause more trouble than what's already in place is fuck-retarded.
The idea that webshooters would cause more problems is completely invalid until you can actually cite evidence from the contrary proving otherwise. The whole problem is that we don't know because it was never tested in the first place, so I can just as easily assert that it might be better.
>The irony in this is that if they'd be so great for law enforcement, one of the thousand other supergeniuses or even regular scientists would have made their own versions.
Reminder that this argument literally started with me claiming that it doesn't make sense for this to have not happened here >>93206683
>>
>>93209473
>A cop doing that would make about as much sense as a cop randomly deciding to shoot a suspect in the head after already he's already handcuffed.
You mean like the sort of thing that already happens IRL?
>but it would be an unacceptable PR disaster if they did it with a far less lethal device that has much less risk involved because webs can't go through people and walls?
Yes because it's a new technology, a lot of people will be paying attention especially nowadays with people whining about criminals being shot by police just for being criminals.
>You *always* aim for center of mass with a gun
Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't know everyone was taken over by mind of the gun and can't choose to attempt to shoot someone in the legs.
>miss critical shots or fail to incapacitate your attacker
That's why you've got more than 1 bullet.
>cause them to bleed out by hitting an artery
It's more likely that you'd hit them in the leg or miss than hit an artery.
>>
File: M6jsikm.jpg (485KB, 937x1397px) Image search: [Google]
M6jsikm.jpg
485KB, 937x1397px
there's more that you can do with Mechanical shooters Impact webbing, Acid webbing, smothering webbing, the cartridges can be used as a glob bomb, it highlights parkers brilliance and it's cool looking. On a personal note organic webbing is just gross to me and organic webbing always look too silk string like to be swingable

I can understand people the common complaint about the plot contrivance of him running out of webbing but that's not more of a problem with the writer than the mechanical shooters and even with organic shooters would still get the same thing with a different reason

Just one other thing i was wondering how much does it cost peter to make the fluids? i vaguely remember him buying the stuff in some comic after he got back from the secret war and it being like 20 bucks
>>
>>93209599
>The idea that webshooters would cause more problems is completely invalid until you can actually cite evidence from the contrary proving otherwise. The whole problem is that we don't know because it was never tested in the first place, so I can just as easily assert that it might be better.
This is just lazy now.
I can reverse this sentence in my favour and it has the same argumentative merit, except I've actually said what could happen and other issues with the idea rather than your simple assumption that they'd be "perfect".
>Reminder that this argument literally started with me claiming that it doesn't make sense for this to have not happened
You said it "raises too many questions" when it really doesn't.
It's worthless unless it's in the hands of Spidey or someone copying him, hence nobody in their universe wanting it, unless it's to copy him.
Prove me wrong.
If would work, they'd be using it.
Oh wait, their cops don't have the requisite super powers.
>>
>>93209632
>You mean like the sort of thing that already happens IRL?
So we're in agreement that the addition of webshooters doesn't make anything worse? I mean it's not like webshooters are going to make cops more willing to do that, right?
>Yes because it's a new technology, a lot of people will be paying attention especially nowadays with people whining about criminals being shot by police just for being criminals.
Yes, complaints about the webshooter being too dangerous are dumb and the problems that people have with the webshooter would be largely invalid. That's what I'm saying.

>Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't know everyone was taken over by mind of the gun and can't choose to attempt to shoot someone in the legs.
You can if you're dumb I guess, it's just a really bad idea that nobody with any training or experience agrees with.
Stop trying to talk about guns, you're embarrassing yourself. Better yet, bring that shit to /k/ and get yelled at until you fucking learn.
>>
>>93209861
>So we're in agreement that the addition of webshooters doesn't make anything worse?
No, it does make things worse.
It wastes money even if you'd argue that it'd be cheaper in the long run, despite bullets also being cheap as fuck, it'd web up any area with a criminal, there'd be harsh chemicals everywhere from the solvents.
It's literally objectively worse than what the cops already have.
>complaints about the webshooter being too dangerous are dumb and the problems that people have with the webshooter would be largely invalid
But that's not true at all.
Idiots are always listening to each other and the masses are idiots.
I'd like to refer to the previous American presidential candidates at this point in time.
>you're embarrassing yourself
Hey, you're the one who thinks web shooters would be "perfect non-lethal weapons".
I don't really care what /k/ thinks because, at the end of this, you're still wrong about webs.
>>
>>93209734
>I can reverse this sentence in my favour and it has the same argumentative merit
I know, that's my point.
A webshooter can easily restrain people without inflicting any more harm on the human body than a pair of tight handcuffs. you're arguing that it could choke people by restraining their chest too tightly, but to my knowledge there's no precedent for this actually happening so I can only assume it's an extremely minor risk.
You haven't explained how spiderman's powers actually help him use it to restrain people. I guess enhanced reflexes could kind of help his aim a bit, but technique would be way more important. Do you think cops are actually going to be swinging around like spiderman or something, because I don't?
>>
>>93210058
>A webshooter can easily restrain people without inflicting any more harm on the human body than a pair of tight handcuffs
So tight handcuffs can asphyxiate people in normal use now?
>You haven't explained how spiderman's powers actually help him use it to restrain people.
Spider-Man*
And yeah, I mentioned it, though I may have the wrong issue.
Still, he lost his powers and couldn't use his webs for dick, even though he'd had years of experience using them.
He literally could not use them without said powers.
>Do you think cops are actually going to be swinging around like spiderman or something
No, but they still need to be able to hold the thing still while it's forcefully shooting out rapidly expanding shit from the front.
If Spider-Man needs his powers to use them, I don't why you'd assume cops would be fine.
>>
>>93210055
>Idiots are always listening to each other and the masses are idiots.
>"This invention is a shit idea, and people will unjustly hate it for the same reasons I do because they're idiots." -anonymous, on being mentally ill
>>
>>93210204
>ignoring every reason I've given as to why it's shit
Good job being one of those idiots.

Fuck it, enjoy being wrong.
I'm done, casual.
>>
>>93209013
And as was already pointed out, Joker fell into a vat. He didn't become Vat Man. In the end, Peter chose the spider theme and created it.
>>
>>93209227
But that's never happened. Barring certain situations, Peter almost always just has the web shooters, spider tracers, and his spider light.
>>
>>93198911
I don't read Spiderman, but i played several of the games back on PlayStation. I prefer mechanical simply because i have a hard time suspending my disbelief about the sheer amount of material he shoots out of his wrists for it to be organic. I know, it's a super hero comic where he has super powers, i just can't let that one go.
>>
>>93210149
>So tight handcuffs can asphyxiate people in normal use now?
You ignored the part of my post where I pointed out that Spiderman has never had to worry about asphyxiating people with his webs by accident.
>Still, he lost his powers and couldn't use his webs for dick, even though he'd had years of experience using them.
Can you actually go into detail why? Did the comic ever explain why?
>they still need to be able to hold the thing still while it's forcefully shooting out rapidly expanding shit from the front.
Was this stated in the comic?
>>
>>93210270
Good riddance, you colossal faggot.
>>
Don't cops have contracts with weapon manufacturers to supply their equipment or something? I doubt they would be happy if cops everywhere just started mainly using web guns.

I also don't think they would be cheap or revolutionary enough to justify mass producing them in favor of already established equipment. First you would have to make the mass produce the web guns, mass produce the synthetic webbing, and then mass produce the dissolving agent. And train all operatives with them to ensure that they don't fuck up horribly and cause some kind of accident.

And there are safety concerns. A criminal could be trapped by webbing in a building that's destabilized or burning, they could need medical attention but the webs would be in the way, the webs could cover their face and give them difficulty breathing, all sorts of things.

I also don't think it's fair to expect cops to go in packing less weaponry than the criminals they're fighting. They have a right to self-defense as well. So basically to me, it boils down to it would be nice for cops to have web guns, but it wouldn't bring such a huge change and would be special equipment, if used at all.
>>
Both.
>>
>>93209194
>leg shots
Have you heard of the femoral artery?
>>
>>93210542
>Don't cops have contracts with weapon manufacturers to supply their equipment or something?
That's why you sell the webshooters to the manufacturers.
I can absolutely believe that they wouldn't completely replace the taser or anything, but I refuse to believe that they'd have no practical use whatsoever.
>>
>>93199837
>MFW the spider past its web formula when it bit Peter
>>
Either as long as they go all the way. If they're going to introduce organic web spinning they need to make body horror a part of their interpretation. If they're going to go mechanical, they need to recognize that Peter is a genius with an interest in chemistry.
>>
>>93210393
It's actually worth noting that running out of web fluid is a real thing that Pete has to deal with regarding his (mechanical) shooters. Especially Spidey from the newspaper strip, he's constantly running out of webbing.
>>
A guy turn into a literal spider by eating the spider that bit Pete so I don't know who it's so hard for /co/ to accept he could have organic shooters.
>>
>>93199351
>>93199384
>>93208820
That gets brought up all the time.

Is there anyway you can show Peter smart with organic webs? Can't he still do mechanic shit with organic webs?
>>
>>93211185
>Is there anyway you can show Peter smart with organic webs?
No because otherwise they'll be no point.
>>
Organic. Mechanical is a fucking stupid leftover relic from the cheesy nonsense of children's entertainment in the 60's. The character has grown beyond that.

>If you think otherwise you're a dumb faggot who doesn't get Spider-Man.

You're a dumb faggot who doesn't get storytelling. The story is about a nerdy teen who gets superpowers and has to grapple with the consequences thereof. Why the fuck would he just coincidentally be a super-genius? It's so fucking dumb and childish the mind boggles that an adult could defend it. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>93211185
>Is there anyway you can show Peter smart with organic webs?
maybe have him cooking food that will help him make more webs? cooking is a science i guess
>>
>>93210393
... shouldn't you find it more difficult to suspend your disbelief that he chooses to personally fight small time crooks on the street rather than becoming a billionaire from his revolutionary webbing invention and investing in charitable causes worldwide? Mechanical webbing is the dumbest shit ever, fuck all of you.
>>
>>93211185
Him being a gadgeteer to supplement his spider gimmick is important.
He beat Electro by making a new batch of insulated webbing. He beat the Rhino by making acid webbing. There's been times when he had to rig his shooters to do things or use the parts to make another solution.

Taking them away needlessly robs him of an avenue to explore his smarts.
>>
>>93211185
He shouldn't be "smart" by comic book standards. He shouldn't be competing with Pym or Richards. Why would he? What does it add to the character?
>>
>>93211333
What are you even talking about?
>>
>>93211333
It's core to his origin that he'd help people in his proximity to him and not try to make money off of his powers in an overt manner.
>>
>>93211358
>He shouldn't be
Says you. He's been absurdly brilliant since his first appearances. You've developed an affinity for a version of the character that doesn't exist and that's your malfunction.
>>
If the character were introduced tomorrow NO ONE would be defending mechanical webshooters. Everyone would agree that it is asinine for this random child to invent a world-changing polymer and have unrelated superpowers on top of that. You dunces are only giving this shit a pass out of nostalgia and cultural inertia and you're too stupid to realize it.
>>
>>93211381
Are you mentally retarded? Don't answer that. You like mechanical webbing so the answer is yes, you are.

>>93211390
So it's core to his personality that he's a stupid piece of shit who doesn't care about helping people? Huh.

>>93211399
The version of the character I have an affinity for exists in every story that doesn't focus on his absurd "genius" that adds nothing to the character, makes him ridiculous and childish, and should not be a thing.
>>
>>93211353
>There's been times when he had to rig his shooters to do things or use the parts to make another solution.
>Taking them away needlessly robs him of an avenue to explore his smarts.
What's stopping him from doing that with organic webs? Can't he invent shit to modify his webs? Can't he still make gadgets?
>>
>>93211399
>You've developed an affinity for a version of the character that doesn't exist
>"You don't like the exact way I like a character so you are wrong"
Are you dunce? It's like arguing Batman should kill willy nilly because he has done it in the past. You are unable to adapt and handle change because you need to hold onto your childhood.
>>
>>93198911
either but I like to think
none = decent
aid = more precise
>>
>>93211489
how are you going to modify a substance that is coming out of your body?

Wasn't there a problem with the non organic web fluid in that is could not be mass produced and always had to be made in small batch because it would expire?
>>
>organic webs don't play up his inventor angle
>but him having powers that don't actually relate to spiders in any way is just nonsense
Both.
He has organic spinnerets that allow him to shot web, but invented a mechanical device that he wears on them to control how the webs are fired. There, he has spider-related powers and uses his inventor skills to play off of them and become stronger. There's no awkward questions about why he doesn't sell his invention because it's clearly only useful to him.
That said, if you really want to play up the inventor angle, he really should have more gadgets at his disposal.
>>
>>93211358
>What does it add to the character?
Characterization. He's intelligent, creative, resourceful, and he loves science. The web shooters are a result of this. Any fucking dunce could get bitten by a spider, get organic webbings and all, and become Spider-Man. Is that really what you want, to show that Peter is some fucking dunce that became Spider-Man solely by chance with no thought or innovation from him at all? You want him to lose some of his defining characteristics in favor of dumbing him down and having less personality?

If so, you can get the fuck out of my face.
>>
>>93211489
>What's stopping him from doing that with organic webs? Can't he invent shit to modify his webs? Can't he still make gadgets?
How would he modify organic shit spraying from a gland? Just streamline it by making the whole thing a gadget.

>>93211529
You're the dunce if you can't see the difference between Batman, a character from 1939 having a pulp style origin that was VERY QUICKLY abandoned and Spider-Man who still has a very modern superhero origin that has gone largely unchanged and intrinsic to the character.
>>
>>93211485
>, makes him ridiculous and childish,
I'm guessing you're not self-aware enough for the irony of that to be evident to you
>>
>>93211333
The webbing wouldn't be revolutionary, and Peter currently is a billionaire running a science company. Get bent. He also did try to cash in on being Spider-Man. It was explained that he couldn't sell the fluid as an industrial adhesive because he couldn't get it to last more than an hour and his shows as a stuntman started falling thought because Jonah was giving him bad press.

Try reading comics sometime.
>>
This is why Superior Spider-Man was literally superior. Way more interesting for Spider-Man to have an army of spider drones and mechanical legs and armbands with computer tech in them. I mean, Spider-man's current costume does it for me really well. He has a webware in his arm, and his symbol and eyes glow which mean the suit obviously has tons of tech inside it.
>>
>>93211655
He could still research the material to see if it could be artificially produced. Or see if he could dehydrate or liquefy it so that it could be stored until activated into the useful form.

The "he could sell webs" argument can always be made regardless of how he produces them.

All you need to do is write it so he doesn't feel the need to. His need to hide his identity and his general regret over his selfish moments leading up to Ben's death work fine as to why he's not trying to shop that stuff around.
>>
>>93211485
So what Spider-Man stories do you like then?
>>
>>93211781
all that tech and he still haven't made his shit gas proof
>>
File: makes complete sense.jpg (77KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
makes complete sense.jpg
77KB, 500x448px
>>93211824
>He could still research the material to see if it could be artificially produced.
Whether or not he could do it would be completely up to the writer in that case, so the writer could just say "naw only Spiderman can make it" and I don't think audiences would doubt that.
If you establish that Spiderman can just cook that shit in a bathtub with less effort than it takes to make meth, people will start to wonder.

That's what works about organic webslingers, it plays into the fantastical parts of the setting that people are willing to accept. If you're gonna have super-science in your comic, you need to establish it as being too advanced for people to just throw together from household items.
>>
>>93211685
>He's intelligent, creative, resourceful, and he loves science.
You can imply any of these without the needs for mechanical shooters.
>Any fucking dunce could get bitten by a spider, get organic webbings and all, and become Spider-Man. Is that really what you want, to show that Peter is some fucking dunce that became Spider-Man solely by chance with no thought or innovation from him at all?
He only created them AFTER he got superpowers from the spider. The spider theme is just a throwaway thought he came up with. You also miss another important characteristic is the fact along with powers Peter has Amazing luck as well.
>>
>>93211688
>if you can't see the difference
There is no difference for it was once part of his character
>Modern superhero origin
In what way is it modern?
>unchanged
How does that in any way change the fact Spider-Man has been alter and streamlined in all the time in his series?
>>
>>93201062
You know how Spidey liked to web Otto's glasses? Otto came up with a solution that made his glasses slippery to webbing.
>>
>>93200866
>PamSol

Wot?
>>
>>93212126
Batman killing was very quickly thrown away as not a valid part of his character. He was only a Shadow pastiche for a very short time. You're just choosing to be hardheaded.

The only major changes to Spider-Man's story is that the spider is genetically engineered rather than exposed to radiation because we know radiation isn't magic these days. He's a scientific genius who is time and time again recognized by the likes of Pym, Richards, Stark and McCoy. It's a core part of his character that has persisted. Even in the Raimi movies where he is depicted as less brilliant, he was STILL able to notice a flaw in Otto's equations.

It's part of the character. It's like randomly thinking Batman shouldn't be a detective for some reason.
>>
>>93200444
It's not coming out of his ass.
>>
>>93199337
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>93212982
>He's a scientific genius who is time and time again recognized by the likes of Pym, Richards, Stark and McCoy
I don't see how this is core need of his character. He only needs to be as smart as a major professor or someone who has interest in studies. What is a core part is his relationship between his civilian life, alter-ego, and his villains. The web shooters are just a means to get his more spider-like powers and handwave it as "he just super smart".
>>
>>93211688
>How would he modify organic shit
It's comics. If you can make up some bullshit how he can invent mechanical shooters as a high schooler with no money, you can make up some bullshit that let's him use organic webs in smart ways.
>>
>>93212039
People are willing to accept mechanical shooters, retard. Only asshats like you don't, because somehow a science prodigy creating devices that project a compressed chemical fluid out of relatively simple components somehow just crosses a line.
>>
>>93212051
>You can imply any of these without the needs for mechanical shooters.
So? They still imply it. And I thought you were in favor of just reducing and generalizing his character by getting rid of the genius aspect altogether?

>The spider theme is just a throwaway thought he came up with
So what? He still came up with it instead of just stumbling back-asswards into it like any chump could.
>>
>>93213419
>I don't see how this is core need of his character
Because it's how he was written and defined from the start. It's a part of who Peter is, to put it bluntly.

>He only needs to be as smart as a major professor or someone who has interest in studies
That would just be reductionist, taking a part of his character and watering it down. And why, because you don't like him being a genius and you know what's best here?

>The web shooters are just a means to get his more spider-like powers and handwave it as "he just super smart".
It's the other way around. The web shooters are a result of him being characterized as a science prodigy, just like the spider tracers and many other inventions that he's employed over the years. Quit talking out of your ass.
>>
>>93214869
>reducing and generalizing his character by getting rid of the genius aspect altogether?
Where the fuck did I said or imply this in anyway? Because I think the mechanical gadgets he barely are glaringly irrelevant and has no real bearing on Spider-Man as a character?

>>93214869
>He still came up
No he did not. It is completely lazy way of writing.
>>
>>93209194
Don't ever fire a gun. Don't even hold one.

You NEVER fire a shot if you don't intend for it to kill someone.
>>
>>93205839
I'd be fine with all that, seems plausible.
>>
You're pretty ass-mad, huh?
>>
>>93215074
>Where the fuck did I said or imply this in anyway?
Is this>>93211358 not you?

>Because I think the mechanical gadgets he barely are glaringly irrelevant and has no real bearing on Spider-Man as a character?
Except they are and they do. The web shooters have always been relevant, right from the start, as one of his most used gadgets and more than one story has been borne from them. Like a thug stole one from him once while he was out as Peter and there were witnesses so he couldn't stop him, and another story where they fucked up and stopped working in a blizzard. And there are more things, like him being CREATIVE and RESOURCEFUL by creating specialized types of webbing to beat villains. Something that he couldn't believably do with organic webbing. And they are one of the biggest things in his stories that were a result of him being characterized the way he was, and they continue to reflect that. Stay mad, nonbeliever.

>No he did not. It is completely lazy way of writing.
I would just say nice opinion, except it's a totally stupid one and I don't get it. It would be even lazier to just saddle him with everything he needs to be Spider-Man as a result of the spider bite. Lazy, uninspired, and generic. The way it's written now is just better. Peter got his powers from the bite, but rather than being made into Spider-Man through dumb luck, he was written as CREATING Spider-Man with help from his own merits and character.

Do you even read Spider-Man comics? Because you sound like some /tv/ shitter.
>>
>>93215046
>Because it's how he was written and defined from the start. It's a part of who Peter is
Nothing is defined. The fact how the spider changes show anything can be alter to suit the story.

>because you don't like him being a genius
I have never said I despise or he couldn't be a genius. Peter's intelligence maybe one of his features but it has never been a defining one compare to his attitude and moral guilt. You don't need super comic book science for the Spider-Man character to work only a kid who is way over his head when it comes to dealing with life.
>>
>>93215488
>The fact how the spider changes show anything can be alter to suit the story.
But Peter's genius doesn't really clash with the story when all the factors are taken into account.

>You don't need super comic book science for the Spider-Man character to work only a kid who is way over his head when it comes to dealing with life.
I agree, which is why Miles early on was compelling. He was written just like that. But for Peter, it's different. It's an established part of his character, so much so that practically every single version of his character across all media includes his intelligence and talent at science and inventing. It's not integral to Spider-Man, just Peter as a character. It's fine for Miguel and Kaine and Cindy and to all have organic shooters, in my opinion.
>>
File: 6.jpg (296KB, 980x1460px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
296KB, 980x1460px
>>93215480
Of course it's going to be the most used when web-slinging is his well known superpower. How he shoots his webs doesn't matter because people want to see web-sling from street to street.
>CREATIVE and RESOURCEFUL
Ok now I understand. You just don't care about if it's true to his character. All you care about is Power Levels nonsense so when Spider-Man does something you can say "but he did this, but he did that!"
It's Pathetic.

>he was written as CREATING Spider-Man with help from his own merits and character.
You are overplaying on how he came up with up the idea and we don't even see the thought process.
>>
>>93215761
> How he shoots his webs doesn't matter because people want to see web-sling from street to street.
Speak for yourself. It obviously matters to others in this thread, whether it's one way or the other.

>All you care about is Power Levels nonsense
If you read my prior post you would know that I was talking about his characterization.

>You are overplaying on how he came up with up the idea and we don't even see the thought process.
Not really. He still came up with it. He still created it. This is pointed out in the Other, how he could have been any kind of hero with just the powers from the bite, but chose to be Spider-Man. Although I'll admit I'm playing it fast and loose here, as that story was largely retconned.
>>
>>93199902
it's not
did you even read it or just the wikipedia entry?
>>
File: IMG_9628.jpg (48KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9628.jpg
48KB, 385x385px
>>
>>93215987
I remember having one of those as a kid. Made a total fucking mess out of my room and promptly got it taken away.
>>
>>93200468
he could make them last longer, he chose not to so there wouldn't be web all over the fucking place
otto just thought their dissolving was a flaw and his longer lasting web was shown to be worse
>>
>>93216092
>he chose not to so there wouldn't be web all over the fucking place
And part of that was so it couldn't be replicated by bad guys or used to trace him.
>>
>>93200506
Read some comics normie
>>
File: Screenshot_20170614-201331.jpg (2MB, 1394x1342px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170614-201331.jpg
2MB, 1394x1342px
>>93200506
Come back when youve read some comics
>>
>>93215488
>Peter's intelligence maybe one of his features but it has never been a defining one
It has and that's the point. Those early issues had him inventing something constantly. The only way he defeated his enemies was by out-sciencing them, not punching them really hard.
>>
>>93201140
>marry sue

You are a subhuman.
>>
>>93216343
>wait! perhaps I can make it permanent! I ought to be able to figure out a formula!
Did you even read what you just posted?
>>
>>93216948
He also said that he didn't have the time to dedicate to it. He had other obligations.
>>
>>93216973
So? that doesn't negate the fact that it clearly has industrial and scientific applications if peter wanted it too.
>>
File: 1262313926243.jpg (147KB, 525x799px) Image search: [Google]
1262313926243.jpg
147KB, 525x799px
>>93198911
i prefer organic.

mechanical seems like... why even use webs? if you're just going to build your own thing, why not just use a hook-shot, or a jet-pack, or even swords or something? just because you were bitten by a spider doesn't mean that you have to totally commit to the spider theme. but if it's organic, then you have an excuse to use webs instead of a non-themed tool. And it's not like you are some batman-esque weirdo obsessed with a specific animal for no reason.
>>
I grew up on mechanical therefore mechanical is objectively right.
>>
It really has to be biological else there is little excuse why the other spider powered superheroes have webbing.
>>
>>93217044
> aunt may is sick and dont have time to be spiderman need to find another way to make money
> making quick money is harder than i thought
> aunt may is better and i have more time to be spiderman and take pics
> got a full ride scholarship to college
> got a free apartment
Peter was never desperate for money for a long amount of time
>>
>>93198911
I think it would make more sense if they were organic shooters since peter got bit by the spider and didn't try to emulate a spider. plus, he got every other power from the bite so why not the shooters?
>>
>>93217454
There is no reason why organic webs should come out of someones wrist
>>
>>93217556
There's no reason why a radioactive spider should give you superpowers.
>>
>>93217496
>>93217538
>>93217454
Because he knew he got the strength and wall crawling from the spider bite. so to tie the whole theme together he invented the webs. They were his get rich gimmick and became a crime fighting tool.
He deliberately chose a spider theme. None of his other powers are physical, even the super strength. It's radioactive magic. His spider sense isn't a bunch of new eyes that grew on his head, his body didn't mutate into an anthropoid shape to accommodate strength, his wall crawling isn't tiny hairs or spurs.
He doesn't have organic spider powers of any kind so why would he have body-horror web shooters?
>>
>>93217753
That's a pretty low bar you are setting for "body horror".
>>
>>93218239
A disgusting mass of oozing organs and muscle in your forearms that can fire goo as fast as a bullet?

How are these people unable to reconcile mechanical web shooters yet are perfectly ok with an impossibly complex and unfathomably powerful organ system being perfectly concealed in the wrists?

Pete would look like a monster.
>>
>>93206183
>>super strength
>>wall crawling/electrostatic cling
>>danger sense
>>super agility
>>super reflexes
>>enhanced flexibility
>>enhanced equilibrium
>>enhanced durability
I just like that Peter's powers aren't necessarily from being bitten by a radioactive SPIDER, they're from being bitten by a RADIOACTIVE spider. Like, emphasis on the radioactive.
And then he was like fuck it I'm gonna base the entire thing on spiders oh shit I need webs.
>>
>>93198961
should've connected to his ass instead
>>
>>93209655
That story always hits me in the feels.
>>
>>93212982
>Batman killing was very quickly thrown away as not a valid part of his character.

Not really.
>>
>>93215488
>Peter's intelligence maybe one of his features but it has never been a defining one

Stop hitting the pipe, Son.
>>
>>93217753
>anthropoid
He's Spider-Man, not Spider-Monkey!
>>
>>93220063
That's not really killing someone so much as defending yourself with a shield made out of someone else.
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical for Parker, either/or for any other spiderperson.
>>
>>93220294
So, it'd be okay for him to have "shielded himself" with a "shield" made out of an innocent bystander?

Batman has always been kinda killer-y. Even after the "no kill" order from Editorial, killing fuckers in the 70s and 80s. Hell, even Dick killed at least one goon in the 40s.
>>
>>93217520
Peter's motivations for not making it an industrial compound don't matter you dipshit, the point is that he could if he wanted to
>>
>>93198911
I'm fine with both but i prefer organic because spiderman's powers could pretty much describe any other bug/insect
>>
>>93198911
Mechanical
>>
>>93199797
>legacy characters are shit
>forgetting that the most iconic versions of green lantern, flash & blue beetle are legacy characters

DC is better with legacies than marvel
Thread posts: 244
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.