[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /co/ What are the essential reads for non-superhero books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: PaperGirls_Vol01-1.png (160KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
PaperGirls_Vol01-1.png
160KB, 585x900px
Hey, /co/

What are the essential reads for non-superhero books?

I'm looking into some Image published series, but I'm not sure what worth picking up.

Got any suggestions? It doesn't have to be Image, just non-superhero comics.
>>
File: shrek-swamp-perplexed.jpg (106KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
shrek-swamp-perplexed.jpg
106KB, 1200x627px
>>93195852
>What are the essential reads

what

you can read whatever you want though
>>
File: Descender_vol1-1.png (100KB, 477x734px) Image search: [Google]
Descender_vol1-1.png
100KB, 477x734px
>>93195852

Descender. It's my favorite Image title.
>>
>>93195852
What do you mean by essential? Best of all time? That's incredibly subjective and can be judged on a variety of merits ranging from action art to atmosphere.
What kind of story do you want to read, let's start there.
>>
>>93195958
Sorry for the subjetiveness, didn't cross my mind.

But yeah, it's kinda hard to describe. I just want to read good stories, well-written.
If it's possible, with pleasant art was well. For instance, I loved the art (especially the colors) in Paper Girls (haven't read it though).

As for the story, I'm in the middle of Bodies and I'm enjoying it. I guess I'm a sucker for mystery plots.
>>
File: huff.gif (1MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
huff.gif
1MB, 200x150px
>>93195852
Books i enjoyed that are not superheroes

Maus
Persepolis
The Stand
Black Hole

I liked walking dead also
>>
>>93195910
Thanks for the suggestion, anon.

Seems interesting. Definitely gonna look into it.
>>
>>93196020
Still very vague
Plot driven, character driven, thematically driven? Fast paced, slow paced?
>>
>>93196114
I'll take plot driven, please.
>>
>>93196136
I'd say Hellboy and BPRD is a good one for that
If you don't enjoy dark fantasy action try Frank Miller's Martha Washington series.
>>
>>93195852
I don't know about essential, but off the top of my head: Hellboy, The Incal, The Goon, The Eternaut, Nameless, From Hell, Infinite Kung Fu, Corto Maltese, and Bacchus are all worth a read
>>
>>93195852

>Autumnlands
>Cerebus the Aardvark
>Chew
>East of West
>Grendel
>Groo
>The Boys
>The Injection
>Usagi Yojimbo

None of these are essential. Mainly entertaining or well written. Just don't read things written by Brain K. Vaughn like pic related. Ever since the end of the first part of Saga, he's been on a shitty slump.
>>
>>93195852
think of a writer you like, then read their non-cape work

ta da
>>
>>93195852

American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar
American Splendor: Our Cancer Year
Love and Rockets
Maus
Persepolis
V for Vendetta
From Hell
The Adventures of Luther Arkwright
Strangers in Paradise
A Contract with God trilogy
>>
> Sex Criminals

It's fun and deals with some interesting topics. I find that it's some of Fraction's better work. Vol 3 is kinda out there and a tonal shift though

> Maus

I'd say it's an essential for comic collectors and readers.

> Walking Dead

Not much left to say about this franchise. It's good read it.

> Wytches

It's a great book by Snyder. Good story and art. If you're into horror it's great.

> Spencer and Locke

A great story that's a limited series wrapping up this year. It's gritty, well drawn, and enjoyably atmospheric

> Orc Stain, Aliens: Dead Orbit, Works by James Stokoe

Stokoe is an incredible modern writer and illustrator. It's worth a read just for his line work and coloring.

Fantastic Four by Lee

I know it's technically cape but it's fantastic and is one of the classics in comic book literature. I highly recommend getting the omnibuses.
>>
just read Stray Bullets
>>
>>93195852
I really liked scalped
>>
>>93195852
It is essential that what you read are stories that exist.
Writing reviews and recommendations for books you imagined in a dream is harder than you might realize.
>>
Scott Pilgrim, Locke & Key, Sandman, Hellblazer, Preacher, Chew, Transmetropolitan
>>
I forgot Deadly Class (that's my favourite comic atm) ^
>>
File: ithurts460j.png (1MB, 980x1268px) Image search: [Google]
ithurts460j.png
1MB, 980x1268px
It hurts
>>
>>93197582
This shit right here. Can't go wrong with Stray Bullets.
>>
>>93195852
Love and rockets is a classic
>>
>>93195852
Is Paper Girls any good, or are people just sucking it off because BKV?
>>
>>93200096
the art is nice
>>
>>93198767
>Implying they aren't superheroes/supervillains
>>
File: Habibi.gif (298KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Habibi.gif
298KB, 1280x960px
I'd take a look at some Craig Thompson works, notably Blankets and Habibi.

His artwork in particular is stellar.
>>
File: The Nazi's Dog.jpg (42KB, 260x344px) Image search: [Google]
The Nazi's Dog.jpg
42KB, 260x344px
>>93201513

Check out "The Rabbi's Cat" as well.

Both the comic and film
>>
Gunnerkrigg court.
Yes the art in the first 10 chapters is jarring.
Yes the first 10 chapters reference things in later chapters so it's fairly confusing.
Yes it gets better and better as time goes on.
>>
The Invisibles
Neil Gaiman's Sandman
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
>>
File: MCUlowlife1.jpg (346KB, 903x1071px) Image search: [Google]
MCUlowlife1.jpg
346KB, 903x1071px
Get Chew and Prophet. Those are the best books Image published in the last years.
>>
>>93195881
>>93195958

/co/ cannot into essential lists

"Essential" doesn't mean best, it means the stuff every newcomer should read at least once so that they're on the same page as everyone else.
>>
>>93198767
If we're talking webcomics, I'd probably include Homestuck, just for how different it is from every other webcomic out there, even the webcomics that were directly derivative of it, aka Prequel. All of it. The pain of Act 6 and the unquenchable thirst for bloodlust instilled by Act 7 is part of the experience.
>>
>>93196081
Who wrote the one titled "Black Hole"?
>>
Injection for sure. Really interesting premise.
>>
>>93200096
Yes it's good. The art is lovely, Chiang and Wilson really compliment each other. The story is good but keeps building more mystery w/o slowing down or bringing things together much which leaves it a little meandering but still worth it.
>>
Beasts of Burden for fast-paced animal wizard action.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.