[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Geoff Johns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: unnamed.jpg (147KB, 2247x1264px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
147KB, 2247x1264px
What exactly is his role in the DCEU? Was the success of Wonder Woman due to his influence? Will he effect the Justice League movie?
>>
>>93191349
>What exactly is his role in the DCEU?
Hal's #1 Fan
>>
>>93191349
>What exactly is his role in the DCEU?

Generally he's an Executive Producer. That means he's above the Producer (all kinds) and has a quality control role; it also means he spends very little time, if any, on set.

In the case of Mr Johns, he's probably got a special brief to oversee comic-book accuracy and to OK any deviations from the source material, rather than the wider financial or logistical brief of most EPs. He has, however, been working in production roles since the late 1990s, when he took on some work as Co-Producer on Lethal Weapon 4, under Richard Donner. Most of his work since then seems to have been more quality than financial control, however.

You don't need to be in any guild to be a producer - there's no guild for them, in fact - because it's such a nebulous and ill-defined role. Generally, producers do the kind of stuff I've mentioned, but some are what you might call PINOs - producers in name only - who get a producer credit (and therefore their name on the film, sometimes above the line as in, in the credits at the start, as well as at the end). This is usually to keep rubes quiet, but sometimes because someone facilitated the contract that allowed the studio to make the movie (eg buying or selling the rights). If they're going to be allowed any input at all, a producer credit is a good way of keeping the guild professions happy - so your rube can make casting decisions without pissing off the casting director (to a degree).

>Was the success of Wonder Woman due to his influence?

No, he had very little input into it. Quality control is not the same thing as creative input.

>Will he effect the Justice League movie?

In the same limited way. He's not listed as a writer (not even for a story or character credit) so far as we can tell at this stage, so he's likely just on it in his EP role.

It has been suggested he'll write the now-delayed Batman solo as well as the Green Lantern reboot, but this may not happen.
>>
>>93191695
For "quality control" fyi you should think more "sticking to the agreed project in spirit" than "overseeing the fine detail". That's more the director's job (and elements of it are in turn delegated to unit directors and others, so again for casting you hire a casting director, for lighting a lighting director, and so on - these people are professionals with more combined knowledge of their own jobs than any one person could ever hope to master).
>>
>>93191695
>It has been suggested he'll write the now-delayed Batman solo
I hope this does not happen because while he's an overall mediocre writer with some hits, he fucking sucks at writing Batman.
>>
>>93191782
Yeah.

Also, he's got no experience of writing for movies, and it's not the same as writing for comics.

It's possible he's picked up some skill at it overseeing projects - is able to tell what'll work and what won't - but it's more likely he'd have picked up the idea that he can do it.

First movies almost always suck, and it'd be a shame with all the other calamities on this project and the DCEU generally to have that happen.
>>
>>93191731
>>93191695

Why would he leave comic writing to do something he has little creative control on?
>>
>>93191883
because no one in this topic knows what they are talking about.
>>
>>93191349
>Was the success of Wonder Woman due to his influence?

Well he was heavily involved:

He introduced Heinberg to Snyder as a possible writer for Wonder Woman.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/movienews/tulsa-s-allan-heinberg-is-the-man-behind-the-success/article_0097c718-674b-5001-a26d-afb0f16c1253.html

He was heavily involved with Jenkins in crafting the script despite not receiving credit.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/09/patty-jenkins-reddit-ama-superman-romance-influenced-wonder-woman/

And it was ultimately many of his ideas about Wonder Woman and her outlook towards man's world that we saw in the movie.
>>
>>93191695
While I agree with most of this post, you really fucked up my dude

>You don't need to be in any guild to be a producer - there's no guild for them, in fact

http://www.producersguild.org/

IDK why you would say such a scrub, idiotic thing. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>93191956
>Well he was heavily involved
>And it was ultimately many of his ideas about Wonder Woman and her outlook towards man's world that we saw in the movie.

Not true at all. The art book for the movie shows Snyder was mostly responsible for this (outside Jenkins of course).
>>
>>93191883
There's a lot more money and fame in movies.
>>
>>93191883
>Why would he leave comic writing to do something he has little creative control on?

a) Because he has even less control creatively with comics as he found out with Nu52 where most of his ideas for Brighest Day rebooted and the large body of his worked was rendered non-canon

b) And because ultimately all franchise comic book writers outlive their welcome like Bendis, Slott or Marv Wolfman. You either retire like Morrison (and I guess Johns) or become the villain like what is happening at Marvel.
>>
>>93191883
Dollar signs.
>>
>>93191956
>He was heavily involved with Jenkins in crafting the script despite not receiving credit.
I don't know how heavily involved he was, but seeing how shit he was at writing Diana during his JL run, I doubt he had much influence, other than that fucking ice cream scene he has to shove everywhere.
>>
>>93191978
Her childish outlook and view is taken straight from his early run on Justice League, which existed before they even thought of doing a WW movie.
>>
>>93191956
Read your own sources you fucking idiot

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/movienews/tulsa-s-allan-heinberg-is-the-man-behind-the-success/article_0097c718-674b-5001-a26d-afb0f16c1253.html

>“So when (Zack) asked me to create this movie with him, and make it more of a romantic movie than an action movie, no one was more surprised than I was.”

So it was ultimately Snyder who chose the tone and the writer, all Johns did was introduce them. Great.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/09/patty-jenkins-reddit-ama-superman-romance-influenced-wonder-woman/

>I think Zack mostly had an influence in getting things back in order to be a good origin story, and then Geoff and I worked super closely to work on the script and the story and Zack was a great producer, but creatively they gave me the reins.

No where does that imply he was heavily involved in crafting the script. She just says she worked closely with him, probably doing continuity/costume sign offs like this anon said>>93191695
She even says, in that quote, that Zack Snyder had the most influence.
>>
>>93192099
Well, Snyder seems to do one job right. He should just focus on being a producer.
>>
>>93192096
It existed way before Johns you fucking casual, and Johns even fucked it up by making her very "I AM STRONG KILLER WARRIOR" in the style of Azz. And the idea to include it in the movie was Snyder's idea
>>93192099

>“So when (Zack) asked me to create this movie with him, and make it more of a romantic movie than an action movie, no one was more surprised than I was.”

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/05/22/wonder-woman-producer-zack-snyder-reveals-what-attracts-fans/

>“This idea that, like, this warrior for love will set the world right, and not through what we would consider the normal sort of, like, aggressive male, like ‘grrrr, I’m gonna fight for it,’ though if challenged, of course she will,” Snyder said. “But this deep sort of impossible for, I think at first, impossible to understand this mystery of sort of feminine power but that it’s driving you to have to explore.”
>>
>>93192130
>a snyder hater making up things to try and give johns more credit than he deserves

why am I not surprised? After all, you people have to make up things to hate about BvS and MoS.
>>
>>93192154
No it didn't. Azzarello's take was largely how she treated her origins and how the Amazons procreated. Her infantile view towards man's world was largely in his run on Justice League and certainly not what we saw in Azzarello's run.
>>
File: based_johns.png (304KB, 780x1034px) Image search: [Google]
based_johns.png
304KB, 780x1034px
>>
>>93192225
I wasn't saying Azz did the "child like wonder" thing, but rather that John's version of it included Azz' blood thirsty warrior bent (at least more so than any other JL run).

And yes, it has existed before Johns, you casual.
>>
>>93191965
That's not an actual guild with required membership like WGA or whatever; you don't need to be a member of it in order to take on a production role, and a non-PG producer working on a production won't get it shut down the way a non-guild writer or director would. It's a more of a club with optional health insurance - they'll help with the usual kinds of problems guilds deal with, but they're not a mandated requirement for producers.

Don't call people "my dude", douche.

>>93191883
Because it pays unimaginably better than writing for comic books.

Even at the top of DC Comics, he'd still have to take on editorial/managerial work in order to have the kind of clout necessary to control his own storylines without interference of any kind; in fact, that's what he did. But if you imagine the best page rate any comic writer ever got, and the best editor's salary comic books ever paid, and you combine them - they're probably a lot lower than what he's getting for EP on two or three movies a year, plus I think he's got a permanent salaried position at WB anyway now.

On top of that - just because he doesn't have creative control or day to day input on a given production doesn't mean he's not involved in discussions about what movie to make next. There's some hefty excitement in deciding which projects to sign off on.
>>
>>93192327
>>93191883
Also: when a movie wins Best Picture, the producers collect the award on behalf of the entire crew. Up to 3 of them, anyway (because there might be dozens).

So if you're a starfucker or just want to bend the truth about winning an Oscar (since it's always going to be for the production, not you personally), then there's that.
>>
>>93192295
It hasn't existed for much of the post-Crisis era. The process in that era was largely putting her on the pedestal with the post-Rucka response being similar to Sally Floyd that she didn't relate to or understand humanity because she didn't have a secret identity or drove a car. It's only with Johns that we have a WW with largely a simplistic view towards humanity and its follies that you see in the movie.
>>
>>93192327
>Don't call people "my dude", douche.
>getting this triggered over memes

KEK
>>
>>93192182
>a Snyder fan being a triggered defensive bitch

Why am I not surprised? I didn't even bother to mention Johns. I'm actually giving credit to Snyder over him, and saying he did a good job as a producer of WW.
And I don't have anything to make up to hate BvS and MoS. The movies speak for themselves.
>>
>>93192295
>Azz' blood thirsty warrior
Diana was never a blood thirsty warrior in Azzarello's run though. That was just Johns shit writing that turned her from being a childlike idiot to a ruthless bitch with pretty much no inbetweens because Johns just can't do nuance.
>>
>>93191883
Because writing comics is like selling Peanuts.
>>
>>93191956
well the movie Wonder Woman getting ice cream is similar to the Wonder Woman getting ice cream in John's JLA comic

so basically...at the very least...he came up with that scene
>>
>>93191695
>Executive Producer. That means he's above the Producer (all kinds) and has a quality control role

You are talking out of your pie hole. And it's an ignorant, uninformed one at that.

Executive producer is traditional the position given to, for example, an actor on a long term show (see David D on X-Files, or Tom Welling on Smallville, or more pointedly, Stan Lee on the Marvel tv, animated or cinematic crap) that is totally meaningless in terms of the actual day to day decision making on the movies, or in key to crucial decisions (such as control of the pocket book, hiring, budgets, casting, etc.)

In movies, directors tend to have more control than producers, be they co-producers, producer, or exec-producers.

However, on a large studio film, especially a tent pole film like this, the biggest say will likely be that of.a studio executive, which is why most any big budget film looks, feels and is a product by committee.
>>
BASED Geoff
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.