[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious Superhero Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1458691600-0.jpg (69KB, 500x487px) Image search: [Google]
1458691600-0.jpg
69KB, 500x487px
I tend to not read any type of superhero comic so I am not familiar with much of the lore. However, how can one feel any sort of threat or adrenaline when a superhero is locked up or an evil villain is threatening to destroy the world when you know that your hero is going to come out on top

Batman is not going to be gone forever (if he died in one comic he will be back in a different one). Same goes for superman, spiderman, etc. I'm not bashing these kinds of comics but, to me, it feels like there is no investment in sympathy for these characters when they are basically immortal
>>
>when you know that your hero is going to come out on top
its not about the IF, its about the HOW,

you get the excitement by seeing Batman in a perilous situation and rather than thinking "Is Batman going to survive?" you think "How is Batman going to get out of this one?"

given the plot armour long established heroes have comic book stories are about the journey rather than the destination
>>
>>93187061
I agree that it would still be fun to read but to me it's like when you are watching a movie like Harry Potter and Harry is in a life threatening event 10 minutes into the movie. You KNOW he's not going to die so it makes the whole scene a bit meh. You don't feel shocked or worried for him because he's the main character he isn't going to die so easily and so suddenly like this

I feel like it's the same for the big superhero comics. All the fight scenes and heroic escapes become substantially less dramatic when you know it's a given
>>
>>93187204
I feel you, but that's the same for anything in a franchise, if you are watching Dr. No and you see James Bond in dire straits you know nothing is going to come of it because of the 20 or so movies that follow it.

or even in long running unfinished Manga, in the next chapter of One Piece Luffy isn't just going to die, because he's the main character.

hell even in TV, in Game of Thrones they killed Jon Snow, and the internet exploded, so shortly afterwards rumours started that they would bring him back (I don't know if they did I don't watch it) but it will always happen,

Marvel sold loads of copies of Spider-man 700 because Peter was switched with Doc Ock and died, but around 25 issues later it was all resolved and Peter was back in his body again.

there's just a few examples, its possibly to have attachment to characters without the need to see them in real fear of dying
>>
>>93187313
I agree it is possible to have an attachment, fully knowing their immortal status. I wasn't debating that and the movies are still fun but its just the absolutely certainty that they aren't going anywhere makes me think that starting a comic like this won't have any real twists or major events because it doesn't matter how good the twist was or how incredibly perfect the villains plan is - Batman will always be there to save the day.

It just makes for a linear style of reading and that's why I enjoy graphic novels or one off stories better because you have no idea what's going to happen and anything is possible
>>
I guess I don't understand how it's different to you than any other form of media. Do you not watch TV shows that are several seasons in or something?
>>
>>93187592
>>93187555
yeah we are going in circles at this point. does this mean you wouldn't buy a novel if you knew in advance there was a book 2? cause no twists mean anything if the story is definitely going to continue
>>
>>93187555
>graphic novels
>>
>>93187619
Not that kind of certainty because there is a book in advance. The genuine certainty that a long running comic book is not going to suddenly kill their superhero. When it comes to seasons of shows you never know if the next season is going to be the last and its got to end at some point but the comics won't stop running
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.