[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances Marvel actually completes any of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: epic.png (717KB, 500x770px) Image search: [Google]
epic.png
717KB, 500x770px
What are the chances Marvel actually completes any of these Epic Collections?
>>
... What do you mean "completes"? They're just collections of famous stories.
>>
>>93173470

Arent they selling? Fuck Im buying them, I hope they finish them. They're great. It'll take them 10 years to finish off some runs, but I love them.
>>
>>93173580
No they're not. They're meant to encompass entire titles, hence the volume numbers on the back. Are you just now figuring this out? Holy fucking shit!
>>
File: download.jpg (99KB, 490x700px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
99KB, 490x700px
Yea I'd say so. The numbering seems right so they clearly have them planned out. Plus they've jacked the price up like crazy from the Essentials so they'll probably make money.

These DC "Age" collections are the only that are going. They're fucking horribly organized.
>>
>>93173653
>They're fucking horribly organized
What makes you say that?
>>
>>93173673

The Marvel collections are organized by run and story arc. Perfect for jumping around in time and collecting out of print classics like McGregor's Black Panther run or DD's Typhoid Mary arc or Kirby's best Thor years.

The DC ones are just massive broad volumes collecting the exact same comics they've collected a billion times before and continuing to leave 99% of their library uncollected.
>>
>>93173757
Didn't the old Archive hardcovers go in order? Those were nice but pricey.
>>
>>93173757
DC seems to always be doing that

also when I got Orion omnibus they fucked up the order intended by Simonson

each issue had a backup feature so DC decided to add those at the end of the collection problem is they were supposed to be in order and now I had to jump around to read it in a linear cohesive story
>>
>>93173757
I was under the impression that they switched to the omnibus format so that they can inevitably cover more ground.

I wish the people in charge of these collections were more accessible. I'm way more interested in that shit than the current monthly titles.
>>
File: action comics 15.jpg (83KB, 623x950px) Image search: [Google]
action comics 15.jpg
83KB, 623x950px
>>93173825

Those fucking retards did the same thing with Morrison's Action Comics trades.
>>
File: batman 227.jpg (509KB, 856x1280px) Image search: [Google]
batman 227.jpg
509KB, 856x1280px
The O'Neil / Adams / Robbins Bronze Age Bat comics are literally some of the best comics ever created. Are they literally EVER gonna get reprinted?

The closest was the Batman by Neal Adams trades but they ere completely raped by digitally re-coloring and only had a handful of the classics.

Even the fucking black & white newspaper Showcase line got cancelled on the exact volume where they would be into this run. Why the fuck is DC sitting on these comics?
>>
>>93173470
I dunno. They've never done it before. But I think if Fantagraphics can release all of Barks' Duck comics this way Marvel can at least do it for Daredevil (I fucking hope)
>>
>>93173930
As far as DC's reprints are concerned Batman is just a series of one shots and graphic novels and the monthly series ended in the 70s
>>
>>93173757

What a shame, i was actively saving up for some.
>>
File: 07-12-2010 01;24;16PM.jpg (173KB, 888x709px) Image search: [Google]
07-12-2010 01;24;16PM.jpg
173KB, 888x709px
>>93173930
I'm still mad they cancelled the second Norm Breyfogle Batman collection
>>
>>93173930
>Even the fucking black & white newspaper Showcase line got cancelled

Man, seriously? I really loved those. Sucks that both Marvel and DC discontinued their black and white reprints, considering there was material there you'd be hard-pressed to see reprinted otherwise.
>>
>>93174458
agreed Showcase Presents and Marvel Essentials were brilliant lines
>>
>>93174458
it's all gold/silver/bronze age editions now
till they cancel those and start again
>>
>>93173757
>The DC ones are just massive broad volumes collecting the exact same comics they've collected a billion times before and continuing to leave 99% of their library uncollected.
I mean, chances are good that if you're wanting the Golden Age comic collections, it's because you want to read them. I didn't go out and buy the first omni saying, "Boy, I sure hope I don't have to read a bunch of other stuff just so I can read Catwoman's first appearance!" instead of saying "I only want the omni for one or two stories that are likely collected elsewhere in a less expensive tome, maybe I'll just buy that instead."

Just because they've previously printed their Golden Age titles in another format (DC Archives, Chronicles, Golden Age Collections) is no reason to rag on DC for it, because Marvel's done exactly the same (Essential, Marvel Masterworks, Epic Collections, Omnibus) when you get right down to it. At least DC is making theirs a bit more affordable in the process of re-releasing them. The GA Batman omnis collect roughly three to four Archives volumes' worth of material for the price of two Archives and they've gone back to re-organize them by publication date (Archives were split into Detective Comics in one volume, Batman in another, for example - the omni goes back and forth as published).
>>
>>93173470
The same chances that they reprint Bronze Age Ghost Rider despite having two films.
>>
>>93177283
It's really neat that they're using this as an opportunity to reprint Golden Age Green Arrow for the first time.
>>
>>93173470
>What are the chances Marvel actually completes any of these Epic Collections?

Pretty low. The stated goal of the Epic Collections line is to "plug the holes" in a collection by collecting major runs, arcs or important issues that aren't available in other trades or omnis. For example the Demon in a Bottle arc for Iron Man keeps getting reprints, but the less-known Iron Man issues by Layton went uncollected until now other than the Dr Doom crossover, so they're trying to remedy that. The Gruenwald Captain America run was never collected outside of a few issues and all those trades are OOP, and so on.

They made one exception, and that is to put out one collection of the first stories of a character each, so they made one with Spidey, the FF and such, even though those stories have been collected before. But otherwise re-collecting stuff that's already been traded or omni'd recently seems very low on their priority list.

Which desu is fine. The Epic Collections allow you to pick up and read a run in a go, like an omni. They used to be better priced than omnis so you got better page counts per money, but now they're creeping up to the same price.

We'll see what happens.
>>
>>93173930
They have done 70s Batman Brave and the Bold (it's fucking beautiful), so hopefully we'll get more Batman books from that error soon enough. I'm not even a fan and I think I'd be willing to pick those up.
>>
>>93174458
Exactly. I don't see anyone in the collected editions department at DC rushing to get a collection of Captain Carrot, Amethyst, or the Warlord out.
Also, good luck getting some of the out of print Showcase volumes for a decent price. I didn't realize just how much Booster Gold and Ambush Bug were going for these days.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.