[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have the modern Big 2 always been mediocre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: download (1).jpg (52KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
52KB, 1920x1080px
I started to read Marvel comics during Secret Wars and DC with Rebirth, and have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. The comics are generally very inoffensive, and I think they play it very safe with the the storytelling and characterizations. Besides some stand-out unique ones like Justice League 3000, the superhero stories for these two have been very underwhelming. I've been reading some Bronze Age DC and Marvel and the quality contrast seems very sharp (when it comes to the good, higher highs and lower lows I assume).

Am I just a pleb or something? Honestly, I struggle to really enjoy this superhero comic books, which is strange considering that I've always loved superhero movies and shows when executed well (I'm lukewarm and MCU and hate DCEU).
>>
>>93095876
It's been about the same for well over a decade.
>>
>>93095904
Damn, really? Is it the consensus that things haven't been that great lately? I know Marvel Comics is considered a failure right now, but many have said DC Rebirth is a return to form. It's not bad overall by any means, but it was a little bit of a letdown
>>
If you're looking for innovation in comics, you went to the wrong place.

Big Two have been about mostly just telling the same kind of stories for decades and decades now. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that but you go to them for a certain kind of entertainment.

Watchmen was literally a DIRECT response to that by doing all the sorts of things you intrinsically can't do with a shared universe.

There's always going to be a few exceptions here and there but for the most part, there's a ceiling of quality with Big Two cape stuff, and the theoretical tradeoff is that you get a floor of quality as well with characters you know what to expect from, but we all know that's not always true either.
>>
>>93095876
Both have had some bright spots, but in general both have been mediocre from the 90s onwards.

Marvel right now is just awful. Rebirth depends on nostalgia to work - people who've loved old DC really like Rebirth, but for new readers I expect it's more of a "that's it?" reaction.
>>
Superhero comics can only tell so many stories with the same characters, and the well dried up a long time ago.

I think the best stuff DC has done the past year or so was the off-beat stuff: Hanna-Barbera Beyond (Flintstones was great), Young Animal, and the Prez miniseries as well. Rebirth is just fanservice honestly, not poorly done fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. They just fixed all the undesirable components of the New 52, so it looks amazing in comparison
>>
>>
>he thinks Big 2 have only been bad now
>>
>>93095876
>Man, these mainstream titles made to appeal to a wide audience are really safe.
>>
>>93098416
At least blockbuster movies SOMETIMES try new stuff, even if it's a sequel or reboot. How many times can you watch Barry punch Reverse Flash before you just can't anymore?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.