[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books of Magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Tim_Hunter_from_Bindings_Cover.jpg (44KB, 341x342px) Image search: [Google]
Tim_Hunter_from_Bindings_Cover.jpg
44KB, 341x342px
How much did JK Loling steal from this series?
>>
literately everything but the good parts
>>
What is Gaiman's stance on this? He seems like a chill guy so I don't think he would have flipped his lid or anything, but goddamn it's so blatant and undeniable.
>>
>>93087072
Nothing but Tim's looks.
>>
>>93087095
Gaiman didn't write the actual series
>>
>>93087095
He thinks it's just a coincidence or if it ain't he doesn't give a fuck. He's chill as fuck.
>>
>>93087072

Apart from his looks and having "tutors" in magic, I don't see many similarities.

Harry Potter isn't that groundbreaking anyway, with or without Books of Magic. A school for wizards is not that new.

Both stories just use the same archetype that has been popular with children and manchildren for ages.
>>
>>93087095
Got this from Neil's page.
>Back in November I was tracked down by a Scotsman journalist who had noticed the similarities between my Tim Hunter character and Harry Potter, and wanted a story. And I think I rather disappointed him by explaining that, no, I certainly *didn't* believe that Rowling had ripped off Books of Magic, that I doubted she'd read it and that it wouldn't matter if she had: I wasn't the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school. It's not the ideas, it's what you do with them that matters.
>>
>>93087072
Not enough. Constantine as Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts WHEN
>>
>>93087072
read it and find out
>>
>>93087607
Don't those all turn out to be evil/a werewolf?
>>
>>93087072
Because no-one ever thought to combine British boarding schools with magical adventures before
>>
>>93087670
Yeah, but so does constantine.

I mean like, multiple times really.
>>
>>93087072
Books of Magic > Sandman TBQH
>>
>>93087171

As a fellow writer, that's pretty fucking based
>>
>>93087072
There don't seem to be many similarities at all aside from dark hair and glasses and magic
>>
>>93088050
it was a pretty good burn.
>I doubt she even reads good literature

But to be honest, Harry Potter is based on D&D like rules magic and Tim Hunter is Lord Dunsany style fantasy
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.