[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't his movie-fame be turned into /co/-fame?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: 1bd7a1d0af4665aa2c61bffdb94fec90.jpg (138KB, 736x1077px) Image search: [Google]
1bd7a1d0af4665aa2c61bffdb94fec90.jpg
138KB, 736x1077px
Seriously. Even Doctor Strange was outselling his books, and it's not like the movie was the ultra-super-duper success. I won't even mention the sales now that Tony's gone and we have Bendis playing faves.

I'd wager it's the fault of the writers that are put on the title not having any fresh ideas. Which is a shame, really, since IM has lots of stories you can explore. Tony's an industrialist, a super-hero, a futurist/transhumanist, an engineer. He's not just "cosmic hero" or "magic hero" or "street hero".

Just by exploring Tony Stark the man, you have tons of stories to tell. But all they do is go RDJ -> Loses Company due to some Armored Guy -> Gets depressed ->Beats Armor Guy -> Gets company back
>>
Invincible Iron Man was okay until Civil War II

International Iron Man was fucking stupid

Infamous Iron Man is pretty good
>>
File: Iron Man.jpg (129KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man.jpg
129KB, 1280x1024px
>>93085024
Iron Man is a superhero who translates brilliantly to live-action, as he's not cheesy or outdated in the slightest.
He's actually hindered by the comic or cartoon medium, the armor usually ends up looking cartoonishly red and yellow, or lacking in detail. And then you have the comic book abominations where the armor has abs or facial expressions.

There are precious few comic artists who can make the armor look as good as this.
>>
>>93085072
Basically the opposite problem of Superman or Thor.
>>
File: 668681.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
668681.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>93085063
>Invincible
Le RDJ-Lite

>International
Le Pointless Retcon

>Infamous
Better than expected, really.

It's not about just the Bendis-era though. IM is a household name, yet he barely has any good villains. Or stories, for that matter. He's a character for so much potential, that aside from a few stories and one or two runs, hasn't been explored all that much.
>>
>>93085094
So like pretty much everyone who isn't Spider-Man or Batman.
Iron Man has a couple of good arcs, which is pretty much the case for Hulk, Thor, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman.....
>>
>>93085072
You need artists who are into /m/ shit to get an armor like that to look nice in printed medium. That or get someone who is an industrial designer with an emphasis on a neofuturist look to technology to draw that shit down.
>>
Get actually good artists instead of Land and Larroca. It's not so bad now but it's what was killing his sales for so long.

Pay for nice covers. Seriously, look at this shit, the logo looks like it was put on in MS Paint.

Most importantly cut it out with this Doom and Riri shit. If it were just Riri that'd be one thing but people want to read about Tony Stark. You'd think putting Bendis on it would be a perfect fit because he'd disregard continuity and fill it with movie shit but he couldn't even do that for some reason.

I'm not talking about quality here, I'm talking about sales, and the Iron Man movies sell because of two things: RDJ's personality and people like cool robots. So you need to have a writer who can do great dialogue and an artist who can do great robots, then shell out for some Alex Ross covers and you're set.
>>
I'm more upset Ant-Man didn't transfer to comics fame
Marvel fucked him up by cancelling the comic
>>
File: Iron Marysue.jpg (127KB, 1200x737px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Marysue.jpg
127KB, 1200x737px
>>93085024
Tony isn't even in the comics any more, is he?
>>
Because Iron Man is a shitty character with a bad mythos and Marvel does their best to make him even worse with every passing year?
>>
>>93085186
They also need to put in the time and effort.
Being "into /m/ shit" without that just results in the hilarity of >>93085352 's early armor that was literally a slightly tweaked Gundam model with the IM head slapped over it.
>>
>>93085285
the comic was reddit-tier humor. spencer deserved to be cancelled and blacklisted from the industry. and i love the ant-man movie.
>>
>>93085456
>Reddit-tier humor
How so?
>>
File: 6FofKnn.png (271KB, 637x356px) Image search: [Google]
6FofKnn.png
271KB, 637x356px
The problem in general is that they've deviated too much from the original Stark. Old-School Tony was a serious guy who liked getting around. He liked expensive things and leading a good life. He was also a right-wing Capitalist who valued Western Values.

Modern Stark is a quipping mess with hints of "muh depression" who's going around giving away his tech. He's not an industrialist anymore. He's "muh Steve Jobs".

Old-School Tony was willing to compromise his morality if the circumstances called for it, but Post-CW they've taken every grey ounce out of him to make him more "kid-friendly" (New Avengers got erased, so...).

The IM IP has tons of potential, but nobody seems to either want to, or be creative enough to do something substancial.
>>
>>93086425
That, and no one bothers to tap into his rogue gallery and do something interesting with them. Iron Man: Armored Adventures of all things managed to bring new life into his villains and demonstrate that they can be pretty fun if handled well.

These days, no one wants to touch 99% of them at all. In the past decade, there's barely been anything with them in a meaningful way. We had Mandarin reused a few times, Madame Masque keeps showing up all the time in Bendis comics because she's somehow one of his favorite characters despite him clearly not caring much for Iron Man's enemies as a whole, but otherwise, every writer seems obsessed with trying to push brand new OCs that they deem will be more interesting and revitalize Iron Man's rogue gallery.

Except they tend to feel bland, generic, or undercooked at best. The only Iron Man villain I can say that has been fairly well off in the comics the past decade or so has been Ghost, and that's only because he managed to escape Iron Man books and was shuffled over into Thunderbolts.

What we need right now are writers who acknowledge how Tony Stark actually was, and do something interesting with the people he goes up against. Revitalize his large list of existing enemies. They're all right there, and Armored Adventures and Thunderbolts readily proved that you definitely can, if anyone bothered to give a damn.

I also don't mind new characters, I should add. Ezekiel Staine wasn't too bad, from what I remember. It just feels like no one knows what to do to make an interesting villain. Bendis tore into Iron Man's rogue gallery (excluding his waifu Madame Masque) and promised that he'd make new, exciting enemies for him to fight. But here we are a few years later, and all Bendis has done is made a generic group of ninjas. Because the Marvel universe definitely needed another one, right?
>>
>>93085072
You really do have to appreciate how perfect Iron Man was as a character to kickstart a newer more down-to-earth ave of superhero films. He's the millennial superhero: a billionaire who wears cutting edge technology and fights terrorists and corrupt businessmen. With the exception of maybe Batman (who still needs to be bogged down a little bit in gritty realism in order to seem less cartoonish and campy), there really is no other superhero who could have made such a seamless and natural transition to the big screen while appealing to both hardcore comic fans and curious newcomers alike.

It was an excellent and very well-timed marketing decision by Marvel.
>>
>>93085580
it wasn't funny
>>
>>93086954
The problem, I think, is that every writer treats the IP as a high-tech super-hero book, when it's not really that. IM is about nations, technology's impact on society, industrialism plus the human element of Tony Stark.

But all they've done in recent years is:

>Downplay the importance of Stark in the US
>Decimate Stark being an International Company with offices all around the globe
>Erase the Capitalist/Right-Wing part of Tony
>Erase his obsession with his tech to the point of him giving it away
>Not develop his villains past "Armor with different color number 292838339398098"
>Erased every ounce of grey morality past "muh depression" for brownie "mental illness" points

There is a way to turn IM into a good book again, but it needs:

>More focus on the industrialist part
>Bring the Capitalist/Right-Winder angle back
>Bring back the old Tony, with his "old-sport" talk and slight chauvinistic attitude
>Turn him into a control freak AFA his tech is concerned
>Revitalize the villains
>Make each antagonist unique
>Have a tight cast

The rest will follow. But these are must-haves.

>>93086989
True. Problem is, they've left out the part of Tony being a businessman, which has creeped into the comics.
>>
The comics don't have Robert Downey Jr. Also, Iron Man's suit was almost perfected over 10 years ago, but the comics and the movies still want to fuck with it for some reason.
>>
>>93085140
Thor has more good runs. So have wonder woman, GA and Hulk
>>
one of the big appeals of iron man to me was the mech suit. as a big fan of mecha, i hate the new skin tight nano machine crap. might as well be magic at that point. it's so skin tight, its got a separate big toe on the foot. they're even doing it in the movies now. his new suits keep getting more and more for fitting and slim. the mark 7 was fucking perfect.
>>
>>93088986
The figures they sell are terrible too. They are always so skinny, the armor would have to be paper thin for a man to fit inside with those proportions.
>>
So basically, Tony Stark should act more like a nice Lex Luthor/Batman without morals?
>>
Who are Iron Man's rogues these days?
>>
When you overexpose a character for a decade, people start to get bored.
>>
>>93085352

Tony is dead and a holographic Tony AI is Riri's support.
>>
>>93085024
Strange is an exception. Movies haven't really done shit for any of the comics sales. Carol hasn't gotten a boost despite her movie coming up. Ant-man's sales were terrible. Vision was basically given away for free and still couldn't get his sales up, same with Wanda.
>>
>>93086954
>Bendis tore into Iron Man's rogue gallery
Cuz Bendis only wants HIS creations, hero or villain pushed to the forefront for the participation money.

Between this crap & his desire to kill off Peter Parker to push Miles Bendis has become a fucking comic book racketeer.
>>
File: IronManExtremis.png (489KB, 899x452px) Image search: [Google]
IronManExtremis.png
489KB, 899x452px
>>93085024
I like his transhuman angle.

The Iron Man stories should be about diffrerent political ideas. Tony Stark is the champion of capitalism ultimately.His villains should represent different ideologies:

Stane - unprincipled capitalism,
Ghost - moralist anarchist
Mallen was a good example of a good iron man antagonist. I think Ghost has the most potential of becoming Stark's main villain because he stands at the opposite side of Stark.
>>
>>93087106
I honestly like that the movies keep fucking with the suit, I know it's pretty much just to shift new merchandise, but I love that the suit keeps evolving. It's gone from needing industrial robots to suit him up to whatever the hell was happening with it in Civil War
>>
>>93089726
Hear, hear anon. But I guess anything that's not liberal is too much for Marvel these days.
>>
Part of the problem is that Iron Man books have been absolute shitshows with a couple of good arcs here and there since at least Civil War 1. A lot of the oldschool IM fans have long since given up, the crappy runs haven't gathered him a new fanbase and I can't imagine that the few MCU fans interested in getting into comics gave a fuck about the 'who are Tony's parents?' plot.
>>
>>93085024
Because the writing is fucking shit and he was ''killed off'' and replaced with another diverse mary sue.
>>
>>93085024
Because the movies are good and the comics are not.

Period.

The movies are fresh because they take the few good ideas the comics had, condense them, and release them in easily digestable format.

Price and time commitment factors into it too; it's easier to spend 12 bucks and two hours enjoying a story than $30+ spaced over the course of a year or more to tell the same story.
>>
>>93085024
Because he was replaced by a black
>>
>>93094483
He sucked like a decade before that
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.