[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lord of the Rings Animated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: tolkien.jpg (236KB, 840x360px) Image search: [Google]
tolkien.jpg
236KB, 840x360px
After having reread LotR recently, I took the time to watch all three of the animated adaptations, two of which I had never seen before in their entirety (Bakshi's and the Rankin-Bass RotK). While it's arguable whether any of them are good adaptations, or even good movies at all, they're just so strange and interesting, especially nowadays with the way that Jackson's films have dominated the cultural consciousness. It's been a long while since I've seen any of them brought up on /co/, so I thought this would be as well a time. I'd really like to know what you anons thought of them.
>>
>>93056431
I'm sad that I've yet to see them.
Life just gets in the way. I'll watch them when I get to babysit my nephew.
>>
>>93058084
If you do, watch this version of The Hobbit:
>https://archive.org/details/TheHiFiHobbitV2
The official DVD release is missing 90% of the sound effects in the film. This version restores them. There's one short section at the beginning where the audio is desynced, but otherwise it's the best way to watch the film.

Also, The Hobbit is the only film you would probably want to watch with young kids. Bakshi's LotR might be too frightening, and the Rankin-Bass RotK would be too confusing.
>>
I'm not a huge fan

Largely I can chalk it up to not being a fan of rotoscope animation anyways, and finding many of the design and character choices distasteful. I hated the look of Aragorn, I fucking loathed Sam (despite him being my favorite character in the series) and the Balrog made me fucking laugh
>>
>>93058245
Have you ever watched the Rankin-Bass films? They're limited animation, but it's not rotoscoped
>>
>>93058285
Ive seen the hobbit one. It's okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the gritty artstyle that permeates the 60's and 70's (barring Watership down) in their animation.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 580x326px
>>93058412
You don't like Rackham-meets-anime? Fair enough; I always thought it looked appropriately illustrative
>>
>>93056431
Love the Rankin-Bass ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
>>
>>93058479
I was so scared of animated Gollum in the old Hobbit as a kid that the later CGI one did nothing for me
>>
>>93056431
Hobbit is fucking great. The soundtrack is hit or miss, and it does actually cut out quite a bit from the book, but it manages condense a 300 page book into a ~70 minute feature while still hitting every major plot point, character arc moment, and emotional scene. It does in one film what Jackson failed to do with three and the death of Thorin in the animated film is still one of the best moments in any of the adapted films.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2gE7-J9B6w

Bakshi's Lord of the Rings is an odd film. It's got some top tier animation and some really great adaptations of scenes from Fellowship and Two Towers, but it's also got some shit in it that's weird as fuck. Sam is mentally handicapped, Merry and Pippin get no development, and they skip over a lot of stuff for the sake of trying to fit two-ish books worth of stuff into one movie. Also the rotoscoping, while a neat idea, doesn't really work all that well (especially the orcs and the balrog). That said, Aragorn is great in the Bakshi film, I love how much more naive and earnest Frodo comes across, and the ringwraiths, at least when they're in the dark/wraith/whatever world are genuinely fucking spooky and intimidating. It's also got a surprisingly good soundtrack for a little animated film.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLz433Cf-g

RotK is an abomination and every copy should be hunted down and burned.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3-3hOMsgwI
>>
>>93056431
Rankin Bass Arwen is a cutie
Plus the way she fought the witch king was pretty badass
>>
>>93060720
Native american aragorn,Frog gollum and eowyn vs skeletor witch king are my favorite parts of these movies.
They certainly have their own charm.
Also, where there's a whip-
>>
File: 001fc556.jpg (344KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
001fc556.jpg
344KB, 1024x576px
>>93060720
It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Return of the King is a far better movie than Bakshi's LotR. It's still a hot mess to be sure, but it's got quite a few nice scenes and a pleasing artstyle.

Bakshi's LotR, on the other hand, is one of the most amateurish movies I have ever scene. The editing and cinematography are complete garbage. Scenes are poorly shot, with characters at odd angles of just plain out of the frame. Scenes ramble on with no point, or make weirdly abrupt cuts. The character design is bad, and even a lot of the background art is ugly, with vague, smudged, or nonsensical locations. The acting (for it is acting since it is a kind of motion-capture) is stupidly exaggerated, made especially uncanny due to the rotoscoping.

I still think that Bakshi's film has some value, at least to fans of animation or Tolkien, but a good movie it is not.
>>
>>93060720
>Sam is mentally handicapped,
That's the impression I got from reading the book as a kid. A lot of people thought that.
>>
>>93060917
>Scenes ramble on with no point, or make weirdly abrupt cuts.
True, I'll give you that. As much as I love the Bakshi film the pacing is all over the goddamned place.
>>
>>93060917
I remember reading that Bakshi had problems with money while making it. The reason the prologue looks kind of cheap looking was because he didn't have the money do that in cel animation.
>>
>>93061133
I appreciate that Bakshi was making that film under very difficult circumstances, and that he was trying to push the boundaries of what people expected of animation. Still, you'd think that he'd be able to hire a half-decent editor, or get his mocap actors to stop gesticulating like fools. It's smaller stuff like that which really bothers me. As an adaptation of the story, it's actually fairly good (at least until they hit Two Towers material).
>>93061091
Too prove I'm not ragging on the film just because, I will agree that some scenes are effective.The best by far is Boromir's death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI
>>
>>93060720
>The soundtrack is hit or miss
I refuse to accept this. I love the soundtrack. Glenn Yarbrough's vocals are amazingly comfy.
>>
>>93058166
>https://archive.org/details/TheHiFiHobbitV2

THANK YOU!!

This is the reason I still watch my VHS of this movie
>>
>>93060810
THERE'S A WAY!
>>
>>93061294
Yeah, I would encourage you and any other fan of the film to save it on your hard drive. It kept disappearing when the torrenting sites it was hosted on were taken down, and finding a download took a lot of tracking down. Who knows how long it will stay up this time.
>>
>>93060810
How can you forget Boromir? He has a rather "interesting" character design.
>>
>>93061455
Oh yeah, who could forget caveman viking boromir
>>
Some people say the songs in Return of the King are corny or insipid, but they got nothing on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o845kYYxenI&index=8&list=PL75B9DE723F1E4BED
>>
>>93060810
WE DON'T WANNA GO TO WAR TO-DAY
>>
>>93056431
I don't like it when they change the ending, or abridge out important things. LOTRs isn't Les Miserables. But Rankin Bass films make things worth watching. They make "strange and interesting" be interesting, not offputting, not edgy, nor weird for the sake of weird. The animation was legitimately beautiful, with legitimately good stories.

I hope you include the stop-motion RB stuff like the Santa Claus films for your nephew. There's some good life lessons snuck in there.
>>
>>93062017
>They make "strange and interesting" be interesting, not offputting, not edgy, nor weird for the sake of weird.
Very well put
>>
>>93056431
all I ever remember is that the witch king sounded like skeletor
>>
>>93062017
There's an art to making an adaptation. Take out too much, or take out the wrong things, and you lose the message of the film. Take out too little or pad the shit out of it, and the same thing happens. You have to use a light touch, like a safe cracker or a pickpocket.

Hobbit is genuinely one of the better examples I can think of of how to do an abridged adaptation right. It hits all the right beats, and gives you just enough time to take in each scene before jumping into the next one. There's no filler, nothing is padded or dragged out, and important or emotional moments only hang for as long as they really need to.
>>
So I know it's slightly off topic, but isn't there an online library of all comics ever called like segenesis or something? I know there is but I cannot find my bookmark. I really need it to find some comics I cant find elsewhere.
>>
>>93060917
>It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Return of the King is a far better movie than Bakshi's LotR.

That's not saying much. "Suicide Squad" is better than Bakshi's LotR
>>
>>93060299

Peter Jackson should've had the Orks sing that in his movie.
>>
>>93062799
Woah, woah, woah... let's not say anything crazy.
>>
>>93062762
I think it was libgen.io

Also, ask /wsr/ next time, don't junk up the threads.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.