[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, how did you enjoy Samurai Jack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: samuraijack.jpg (27KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
samuraijack.jpg
27KB, 250x250px
Now that the dust has settled, how did you enjoy Samurai Jack?
>>
>>93030140
I loved the hell out of the first 4 seasons and the first three eps of season 5.
>>
sure did, all of it was great
>>
Final fight was far too short
>>
I've yet to sit through it on its entirety

not crazy about it but it's cool I guess
>>
>>93030187
You missed the point of the entire show. How sad
>>
>>93030140
He didn't even get the girl. Why can't Jack get a happy ending?
>>
>>93030201
yeah, clearly he didn't lower his expectations enough.
>>
>>93030140
First 3 eps, 10/10
Ashi focused eps, 7.5/10
Finale 7/10

Season 5 overall? 8.5/10, felt perfectly at home with seasons 1~4.
>>
>>93030289
The final season has MANY flaws, but past Aku being defeated quickly is NOT one of them at all.
>>
>>93030237
He ended with a smile on his face. He found peace.
>>
>>93030371
I still found the finale super depressing.
>>
>>93030140
I enjoyed it every fucking week, except that filler episode, fuck that. Filler in a 10 episode limited series. Overall would still give either 8.5 or 9/10 despite Ashi being shoe-horned into everything.
>>
>>
>>93030164
Memeing aside, this. The fault lies in the fact that there was so much shit that could have been done but so little time to do it. Couple that with Gennedy's rabid insistence on shoving Ashi into an important role, obvious plot hooks and subpar attempt at a bittersweet ending and it's easy to see why some felt it fell flat towards the end. I think the show would have probably been aces if it had been allowed another season or two beyond s5. At least then we could have enjoyed punished jack a bit longer and maybe gotten some decent character development.
>>
File: SamuraiJack20-cvr1.jpg (808KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SamuraiJack20-cvr1.jpg
808KB, 988x1500px
>>93030164
This
Pic related is better and the true ending
>>
>>93030140
Season 5 suffered from being crammed into 10 episodes, hell, the final episode felt like they tried to cram 3 into one.
>>
>>93030409
I agree with you on a very deep level anon, good post
>>
>>93030409
Punished and armored Jack were fucking 10/10. And yeah, feelsbadman, Ashi was way too forced, by the time I stopped disliking/hating her character, she was gone, so her disappearing was all moot to me. Could've been a just as good, if not better, season without her in it imo. But it is what it is.
>>
>>93030140
I liked it but the first three were the best. The rest were still good for the most part but episode 8 was awkward as fuck.
>>
>>93030140
I loved every episode; it was a great miniseries as a whole.
It did have some problems, some of them range from minor inconveniences to major ones that hurt the plot.
However, despite its shortcomings, I had a lot of fun watching it, I was emotionally invested from the begin gin till the end and I think it works better as a conclusion to Jack's story. It could have been told in a million different ways. but the one we got was good enough to sustain it.
>>
>>93030394
It was quite hollow, in a good way. It did leave me longing for more, but I consider that a positive; that's the effect a bittersweet ending should be chasing.
>>
>>93030502
I wish the armor and the fireguns has stayed longer, or that at least they hadn't built them up so much during the previews. They relied too much on the "wow, Jack's riding on a motorcycle and firing guns, he's not like he used too" for the little payoff we got. If they hadn't hyped it up I wouldn't have minded and I didn't really do, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.
>>
yeah
>>
>>93030140
Honestly, I loved it. First 3 episodes were amazing, the rest was okay. Wish it was just a little longer though. Ending wasn't actually that bad, it was just rushed.

7/10
>>
>>93030140
I did, though the ending felt underwhelming and I wish some aspects of the 5th season had been handled differently
>>
I wonder how good or bad it could have turned out of this season bad been purely like the old Jack with a greater edge. Just just in his bike going from place to place saving people, getting the sword back at some point and ending the series with a two parter a la Birth of Evil.
Still, I can't help but admire the fact that they took chances and tried to do something different from what was expected.
>>
Although it could be better, I honestly liked it and thought that it was better then most shows we have today.

Honestly, I was just amazed we got a 5th season after all these years, I was ready to take what I could get. At least it would be a finale.
>>
Yep pretty great.
>>
>>93030140
First 4 seasons of SJ is SJ, whats is there to say? Fun cool show that had flaws but was good overall.

5 had a fantastic start, rushed as fuck finish. The Ecstasy of Gold Scene was fucking amazing and Scaramouche was great for how short his time was. Greg Aku started off not that good, but as time went on and Aku became Aku again, he was pretty good. Forced Waifu is bad, and was pretty much a plot device with barely any real character and made specifically to be unique and important for ass pull purposes. Episode XCIX was easily the worst of the series, and it was literally only to shove Ashi down some more, while being a pointless filler episode.
>>
File: bun.png (480KB, 864x362px) Image search: [Google]
bun.png
480KB, 864x362px
>>93031089
lol who invited Tumblr?
>>
File: samurai_jack_season_5_ratings.jpg (2MB, 4850x1940px) Image search: [Google]
samurai_jack_season_5_ratings.jpg
2MB, 4850x1940px
>>93030140
Is it better if you want it all at once rather than watch it episode by episode on a weekly basis?
>>
>>93031276
I personally enjoyed it more watching it as just a very long episode. Might be different for you, but that's the way it was designed to be seen.
>>
>>93030140
Episode 1-3 are self-explanatory.

Episode 9 was okay.

Episodes 4-8 and 10 are ripe with both padded out filler, such as the opening of episode CI and most of episode 4 and 5 and the scene with the daughters getting listed and the orc army fight, which would be fine if it wasn't balanced out with extremely rushed and unsatisfying plot elements, from the Omen to Mad Jack to the romance to Jack getting back to the past to Aku dying.

We would have been better off with nothing, honestly.
>>
>>93030140
Loved all of it. I pity the Autists who couldn't get the same enjoyment out of Jack, it was a truly fun experience all around.
>>
>>93031335
They literally could've just sewn it together and made it an amazing movie.
>>
>>93031381
A 2 hour long movie or a 4 hour long one? It would have gone full circle with 7 Samurai.
>>
>>93030140
I liked it
it's not a 10 I know it was rushed and somethings could have been done better but fuck it it was great
>>
>>93031206
>Can't argue against his points
>"Muh Tumblr"

lol who invited this retard?
>>
>>93030140
Will be viewed as a pinnacle of western animation in time, and rightfully so.

The final season really did need to be 13 episodes, though.
>>
File: haha.png (413KB, 570x800px) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
413KB, 570x800px
>>93031659
what points haha
>>
>>93031672
Either 13 episodes with the story it told us or 10 with a different format more akin to the original 4 seasons.
>>
Disappointing ending to some of the most memorable characters such as Samoorai and Momatoa. 10 episodes was far too little and it was apparent.
>>
>>93030140
Good til the last episode.
>>
Jack died when he fell of the cliff in episode three, right?
>>
The ending was really fucking bad and people cut it way too much slack on the basis of
>he got back to the past
>happy endings are trash
>it had a pretty final shot
>>
>>93033089
I wouldn't simplify it that much.
>>
>>93033168
Those are the main things I hear as reasons to why specifically CI was a good episode.
>>
It was ok
>>
>>93030140
6. TL,DR:
The wedding was given more screentime than Jack defeating Aku once and for all. Jack was a wimp and didn't have any badass moments that we know and love him for. Ashi stole the show and did nothing interesting with it. Jack’s friends helping him had a lot of dumb problems that were the result of pandering. Apparently none of it fucking mattered anyways.
Love being the moral of the story is stupid. Love being the moral of Samurai Jack is really stupid. As sad and emotional and melancholy as the reuinion, wedding, and ladybug thing were, they had no significance to what we loved about Samurai Jack.
Also, Jack shouldn't even know that ladybugs were significant to Ashi. So that's really stupid too.
>>
>>93033254
I was entertained enough by the fight, and I liked the way it wrapped up. Whether had Jack gone to the past or not wasn't very important to me because you could make strong argument supporting each side.
The bitterness of the ending I feel was well leveled by the fact that it would have been a coup out to have the future erased and keep Ashi around. You either go all the way or not at all.
The final shot was for me wonderful because not only was it beautiful to see, but its representation of hope for a better future as well as the value of Ashi's sacrifice were pretty meaningful to me.
>>
>>93033405
I don't think love was the moral; hoping despite the worst of circumstances is the closest to a moral we got. "Even in the darkest of caverns there can still be beautiful light."
>>
>>93033474
What light? Ashi was a complete waste of a character and I felt 0 emotional attachment to her. She was literally only there to give Jack a reason not to kill AKU which he clearly was going to do anyway.
>>
- finale should've been an hour
- I didn't care for the extended "Ashi learning how good Jack is" segments because it was unnecessary - she turned good basically instantly
- I didn't care for the cringe romance parts
- That Frank Sinatra shit broke immersion it didn't belong
- Would've liked to see more adventuring
- "You've forgotten your purpose" shit was a forgotten plot point tbqh
- Good vs. evil Jack not fully explored as a concept

I had fun overall. 7/10 for the season.
>>
>>93033542
Ashi wasn't the light, at least, she wasn't in the end. She provided the light, but the light itself was the possibility of a world without Aku. She got Jack to try one final time to rid the world of Aku and she managed to send him back.
>>
>>93030164
This. SJ will always be one of my favorite shows, but s5 was disappointing.
>>
>>93030164
fpbp
>>
>>93030140

I'm glad we didn't have to pay real money for a season 5 dvd set! lol
>>
Season 5 was brilliant and more than I could have asked for, pretty much perfect conclusion to the series.
>>
>>93033945
Sad, but there it is.

>>93036651
I cannot for the life of me understand this opinion.
>>
>>93033416
I get what you're saying, but in regards to the bitter part of the ending, I think going back to the past was the wrong narrative choice, both for ashis sake and jacks.
This is mainly due to the fact that it contrasts thematically with almost every other episode in the season, and contrasts tonally with over half of the episodes.
>>
The three episode meme is getting really tiring.

You didn't really want an ending did you, you just wanted more arthouse episodes and a hasty wrap up right?
>>
>>93030164
Same as I feel. I actually really liked S5 as a whole even if the pacing was off but there's no kidding that the first three episodes were on a completely different level.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8llqE6om4

Perfect send off.
>>
File: sly_aku.jpg (34KB, 503x370px) Image search: [Google]
sly_aku.jpg
34KB, 503x370px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8llqE6om4

B A S E D
A
L
D
W
I
N
>>
>>93030140
S3 > S4 > S2 > S1 > S5
>>
>>93036693
>The three episode meme
Shut the fuck up already, ep 1-3 are better and more promising than the rest of the season, either prove this FACT wrong or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>93030140
Needed to be 13 episodes.
>Episodes 8 and 9 could have been one episode combined
>Episode 7 should have been a 2-parter
>Finale should have been a 3-part movie thing like the pilot.
>>
>>93030140
This promo picture is better than all of Season 5.
>>
>>93036722
>>93036764
I wasn't a fan of his voice, but I love this man now.
>>
>>93036677
This guy gets it. You get set up themes and tones and lead your audience one way only to do a complete 180 in the last 5 min of the already rushed finale. #stillSalty

Finale aside, I loved every episode we got in season. The first three episodes in particular manage to stick out to me, great action, awesome art, cool symbolism, interesting psychological shit, amazing atmosphere; they just really captured what I remember the series being all about. Subsequent episodes were great too, but they were missing something that the first three had. I think the rushed pacing by the 10 ep limit might have forced them to leave out or cut back on some of that stuff in favor of progressing the plot.
>>
>>93031206
>>93031693
Why does this show attract so many shitposters?
>>
>>93036722
>>93036764
>F
>>
File: IMG_3754.png (163KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3754.png
163KB, 480x360px
>>93037101
Because it generates the dankest of memes.
>>
>>93037176
>the unspeakable evil Aku unleashed was memes

AKUUUUUUUUUU!
>>
>>93036693
whoah anon you've just convinced me all episodes are a solid 10

you do have a way with words you know
>>
Fun Fact: while 9 of season 10's episodes were animated at digital eMation, XCVIII was animated at rough draft korea (the studio that did the original series)
>>
>>93039037
>season 10
fuck I meant season 5
>>
>>93030140
The first three episodes were absolutely amazing

Episode 4-6 felt a bit more standard but I still found them quite enjoyable

And the rest of the episode completely feel apart to absolutely terrible pacing and just plain unsatisfying conclusions to dozens of plot points (Ashi's mother, Jack getting the sword back, Mad Jack dying, and of course the final battle with Aku)
>>
First 2 episodes were God tier. Episode 3 was good but where it began to decline, then fall apart.
>>
>>93030349
It's a flaw because it's literally the only Aku vs Jack fight in the whole season.
>>
Episodes 1-2 were 10/10. Episode 3 was still great. After that, it fell apart.
>>
>>93031659
>I'm not tumblr!
Fine
Then go fucking kill yourself, MySpace
>>
>>93039202
Why does the decline begin in episode 3? What's the turning point there?
>>
>>93039400
You mean besides the future Aku fight? Oh right, you fightfags didn't like everyone else getting involved in that. Fucking unpleasable fanbase...
>>
>>93039602
Not him but reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit.
>It's literally the only Aku vs JACK fight
If he was counting all Aku fights then he would have said Aku vs scotsmans first army.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.