[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the /co/nsensus?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (19KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 189x267px
So what's the /co/nsensus?
>>
>you will never fuck a qt 3.14 chinese girl in an ancient library while the spirit of Quin Shi Huang autistically screeches at you to burn it down.
>>
I remember seeing this and reading it! I just wish I remembered it better. From what I do recall, it was interesting both as a story as well as an under-examined period. I liked the old French missionary priest.
>>
I thought the art was terrible, and the story only enough to give half a fuck about. I think others may find it great.
>>
Does anyone have a download? I can't find it in the usual places.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot and I read Boxers at my local library first and I thought it would be a light hearted romantization of sorts because of the simplistic artstyle.
Then Bao impales an innocent missionary and then shit got real.
Bao did everything wrong but damn that ending still felt heart wrenching
It's also neat finding out that they really believed the whole spirit possession thing in real life during the rebellion.
>>
it's arguably the best religious comic book since A Contract With God
>>
>>93013683
>In Boxers he's presented as a bigoted asshole and nothing more
>In Saints he's fleshed out more to be understandable and even likable character, even serving as a father figure to Vibiana

I really liked that aspect

>>93014431
The writer himself is a American Christian of Chinese descent and respects the history of it to the point of wanting to get everything accurate (he even put effort in Kenan Kong's name)
I once read an interview about he based Vibiana on an actual girl he knew who went with Western culture because Eastern culture kept screwing her over IIRC
>>
File: dd70006a20876e750b9.jpg (17KB, 640x295px) Image search: [Google]
dd70006a20876e750b9.jpg
17KB, 640x295px
>>93014416
Correction, it wasn't the stabbing that made me realize the book was serious.
It was the part where they showed the monk's head impaled on a pike
>>
>>93014416
Damn they did? That actually really adds to the story.
>>
>>93015346
>The Righteous and Harmonious Fists (Yihequan) arose in the inland sections of the northern coastal province of Shandong, long known for social unrest, religious sects, and martial societies. American Christian missionaries were probably the first to refer to the well-trained, athletic young men as "Boxers", because of the martial arts and weapons training they practiced. Their primary practice was a type of spiritual possession which involved the whirling of swords, violent prostrations, and chanting incantations to deities.[8] The opportunities to fight back Western encroachment and colonization were especially attractive to unemployed village men, many of whom were teenagers.[9] The tradition of possession and invulnerability went back several hundred years but took on special meaning against the powerful new weapons of the West.[10] The Boxers, armed with rifles and swords, claimed supernatural invulnerability towards blows of cannon, rifle shots, and knife attacks. Furthermore, the Boxer groups popularly claimed that millions of soldiers of Heaven would descend to assist them in purifying China of foreign oppression.[11] These beliefs are characteristic of millenarian movements of nativist resistance, especially the characteristic magical belief, shared by the Ghost Dancers of North America and the Kartelite Cults of Africa, that the believer could be rendered invulnerable to bullets.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

I know its wikipedia but it's legit
>>
>>93013593
Boxer boy was a little bitch
>>
>>93015570
You can't entirely blame him considering his entire lifestyle was fucked over.
His father's mind and spirit stopped working properly and couldn't even beg him to stay in his native language
>>
>>93015570
He was too afraid of getting cucked by the Ghost of Chinese past to be anything but a bitch
>>
>>93015633
>Ghost of Chinese past
Made me chuckle Anon
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.