[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

90's thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: PAD Aquaman.jpg (42KB, 418x640px) Image search: [Google]
PAD Aquaman.jpg
42KB, 418x640px
The general consensus here seems to be that the 90's was a shit decade for comics. But, there were some gems surely.

Post your top 90's comics runs.

>One of mine is PAD's Aquaman. I loved it.
>>
Bill Messner-Loebs' Wonder Woman. Highly underrated run.

I love how it tells three complete, self-contained stories (Noble Pyrates All, Losses, and Challenge of Artemis) that are entirely distinct but character development carries over between them.
>>
>>92999288
Saw the movie two days ago, looked at a recommended reading list and this was on it. It's worth reading then, yeah?
>>
Marvels as well as the Untold Tales of Spider-Man by Kurt Busiek were fantastic. While not amazing the first Deadly Foes of Spider-Man mini and the Nomad series are at least worth a look.

Not to mention all the stuff coming from Vertigo at the time such as Shade the Changing Man.
>>
>>92999375
Definitely.

WW Special and WW #63-65 make up a kind of "prologue", it's pretty much optional.

#66-71 involves Diana getting kidnapped by space slavers and becoming a space pirate. It's not as crazy as it sounds, but it'll feel pretty weird going into it from the movie.

#72-89 are about Diana taking on more "superhero-y" things, street-level crime. It's infamous because Diana has to get a job at a fast food joint called Taco Whiz to pay for a place to live. Also much better than it sounds.

#90, 0, and 91-100 are about Diana being challenged for the role of Wonder Woman by a character named Artemis who is beloved by fans. Artemis wins the challenge and takes over as Wonder Woman for awhile and Diana has to earn the right to take the title back.
>>
>>92999482
Vertigo really shone in the 90s, and DC had a lot of great runs as well, like Superboy, YJ, LoSH, the aforementioned Aquaman, etc.

The 90s weren't as bad as people like to make it seem, and even Marvel had some good stuff coming out at the time. A lot of it was bad, but it wasn't all X-TREME! Liefeld-tier shit.
>>
90s being bad is mostly a Marvel problem but even they still had gems like Thunderbolts.
>>
>>92999617
is that spaghetti in her taco?
>>
>>92999652
PAD's X-Factor was also great.
>>
>>92999652

Priest's Black Panther also started in the 90s.
>>
>>92999482
>>92999652
Basically all the major Busiek stuff at Marvel during the 90's is great. Marvels, Thunderbolts, Avengers, Untold Tales of Spider-Man.
>>
>>92999739
PAD's X-Factor, Ellis' Excalibur, Nicieza's New Warriors, Byrne's She-Hulk, just abount anything from PAD and Busiek, really. Marvel had some genuinely good books back in the 90s.
>>
GenX, Gen13, Kesel's Superboy, Marz Green Lantern
>>
>>93000157
They did. So did DC. People just tend to focus on the shit because it's easier/more fun.
>>
>>93000157
>tfw Byrne mocked 90s EXTREME and Liefeld in his She-Hulk run
>>
>>93000157
I wouldn't call any of those "genuinely good".
>>
>>92999620
came her to just say Vertigo. I can go and pick up almost any random Vertigo book from the early to mid 90s and it will be good. I regularily will pick up stuff from authors I haven't heard of, but if it is from Vertigo at that time, I will check it out. 90% of the time I am impressed if not blown away.
>>
File: Starman-Comic-Wallpapers.jpg (86KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Starman-Comic-Wallpapers.jpg
86KB, 1024x768px
Hits all the right notes for me.
>>
>>93000185
Marz also had a Surfer book in the 90s that was excellent

>>93000157
and Ellis just started Hellstorm
>>
File: bb1c221beabfff8c5c239d5c888a0155.jpg (423KB, 736x1151px) Image search: [Google]
bb1c221beabfff8c5c239d5c888a0155.jpg
423KB, 736x1151px
>>
>>93000759
Name a genuinely good comic then.
>>
>>93001032
Starman
>>
The 90s weren't entirely shit. It's just that whole Jim Lee/Rob Liefeld/X-TREEEEEEME shtick has aged terribly.
>>
>>92999116
Omnibus when ;n;
>>
DC newfag here... who are you refering to when you say PAD?
>>
>>93002496
Peter David.
>>
>>92999116
>PAD's Aquaman
The art was so shit.
>>
>>93001807
The main problem was that most of the big flagship books were genuinely awful. More niche titles or limited series or minis often had some really good material, it were the main Spider-Man/X-Men books that were shitting the bed. Gruenwald's Cap book also turned really bad during the 90s.
>>
>>93002647
Pretty much. And that's why everyone assumes that the 90s were awfull all the way around.
>>
>>93002647
The X-Men of that period is still regarded as good by most. It was shit though.
>>
>No one's mentioned the GOAT.
>>
>>93002802
X-men turned to absolute shit around Onslaught. Then it was utter shit until New X-Men.
>>
>>93002496
>>93002513
BEHOLD!
- Peter David! A guy who at first manages to make you believe his characters are well developed... until you realize that all of them are David himself, that he does with them whatever he wants, and that all of them are totally retarded.

- Peter David! A guy who, when he doesn’t know what to tell, fills the comics with his opinions about politics, movies, TV, and books. Thus you read a comic and a blog at the same time. And if there’s still space left in the book, he tells a good joke, no matter if off-topic.

- Peter David! A guy who seems to be building up an AWESOME story but then, after 50 issues you find that his plots are going nowhere at all.

- Peter David! The writer who has been doing nothing for decades while laughing at readers.

- Peter "I gas gyps with my farts" David!
>>
>>93001807
DC didn't buy into the X-TREME shit as much, and the few books they had that did were either surprisingly entertaining, like Fate, or were largely ignored, like Extreme Justice. Marvel was hit harder by the Leifeld/Lee shit than DC was, by far, and I agree that it did not age well at all.

>>93002647
Sadly true. Spider-Man's Clone Saga was mid-90s as well, and that was universally hated.

>>93002802
The core X-books were only decent ("good" is debatable) in the early 90s. Mid-nineties on up was pretty much pure garbage.
>>
>>92999116
Honestly, the "90's were shit" thing is a meme spouted either by people who only read the most basic surface level high selling capestuff, or by people who were only just born in the 90s.

And the fact is, like others in the thread have said, you could find capestuff that was decent, I'm sure. I never read much capes, so I can't really name any. But a lot of independent/smaller company stuff was great. Vertigo was consistently good, Dark Horse had some good stuff, shit Dark Horse was one of the few companies then even putting translated manga out in the US. Granted, it was flipped and released like monthly American comics, but it was still better than nothing. You had titles like Strangers in Paradise which did really well. If anything, I tend to enjoy the indie comics of the 90's more than the ones now.
>>
>>93004825
>Honestly, the "90's were shit" thing is a meme spouted either by people who only read the most basic surface level high selling capestuff, or by people who were only just born in the 90s.

No not just that, but also people who were like in their 40's were complaining back then which probably was because the 90's comics looked so alien compared to before.

>I tend to enjoy the indie comics of the 90's more than the ones now.

You know what, I kind of do too. There's still indies in the 10's I liked but not as much grabs me as 90's indie stuff.
>>
not all bad
>Vertigo Heyday
>Waid Flash
>Marvel Boy
>JLA
>James Robinson's whole output
>LoSH
>Priest Black Panther started in the 90s

There's definitely more but there's some gems
>>
>>93000924
a great 90's master piece
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.