[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbing of Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 275
Thread images: 56

File: serenade.png (380KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
serenade.png
380KB, 1000x333px
We've fallen so far with tonight's strip. Danny's ukulele adventures continue, and I can't see how we're supposed to care.

Ryan's wild ride was way too short. Screw you Willis. We don't need a hero, we need a goddamn decent villain.
>>
>>92986728
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0
>>
>>92986728
When will Willis finally cut off his own hands?
>>
>>92986728
Oh, I get it. The ukulele is going to be this chapter's version of Joyce's shower boots. This is Chekov's Uke; expect it to be destroyed by the end of the day if not the next day.
>>
>>92986728
Poor Danny. This just feels like a massive rip from Parks and Recreation, though. Ben loses his job, and he thinks he's happy pursuing his own hobbies and things. It's only his best friend Chris who realizes just how depressed he is.

I'm almost interested in this storyline, but I'm not going to commit to those feelings since I'm still very annoyed about how the last arc ended. This is such BS.
>>
Oh, and this current storyline is called "The 'Do' List". No wonder Willis brought it back up this past week.

Meanwhile, in the comments...

>GIVE US THE DRAMA, WILLIS

>Whiplash like nobody’s business.
>Mood neckbrace for everyone!

>God damn it Willis, you’re gonna time skip after that?
>In Wilis time it’s a time skip. This three days should’ve taken months!

>A FUCKING TIME JUMP? What is this, BSG?
>At least it’s not 25 years later…
>I dunno, in the Dumbiverse 3 days takes like a year and a half, so…

>DAMN YOU WILLIS!!!

>Well, that de-escalated quickly…

>Three days later, are you shitting me????
>“I am not shitting on you”

>Well…..at least he’s getting over Amber well

>I’m sure he’ll play a touching song on that mini guitar at Ryan’s funeral

>Not the worst I have seen Willis troll us… but X_X….

>this is a very roomies-esque strip
>It really does feel like something from a gag-a-day strip, which helps maximize the whiplash.

>Angst queen Danny is making jokes. Amber murdered a dude, and he’s making jokes?
>This tells me Danny doesn’t know Amber (maybe) murdered a dude. How doesn’t Danny know? Has he been this far under a rock, or was it hushed up?
>Even if e didn’t know Amber did it a murder on campus would be a big deal!
>unless amber didnt murder the bastard and only left him in massive pain.
>Close enough. She only killed him a little bit. Still, the conversation implies that Amber is no longer around.

>Whatever happened must have been hushed up somehow because both Danny and Joe are showing no signs of knowing anything. I think we were deliberately given this pairing to show that because Dorothy being friends with Joe and Amber/Dorothy being Danny’s exes if word had gotten out they’d be affected by it. So these two going along like everything’s fine and normal means no one knows anything yet.

>He’s not dead. If he were dead, everyone would know and would be terrified that a murder happened on campus even if they didn’t know who died or who did it.
>>
>>92986929
>>This tells me Danny doesn’t know Amber (maybe) murdered a dude. How doesn’t Danny know? Has he been this far under a rock, or was it hushed up?

This commenter is a confirmed for snitch. Definitely don't do any crimes anywhere near them.
>>
>>92986929
Continuing:

>NO Willis! Bad Willis! Back to the other thing!

>Gah, this is like most other fiction cutting to ‘five years later’. THREE DAYS?

>Triggered (Or should I say…hilted?)
>Idk but you definitely shouldn’t be making tasteless jokes about triggers.
>…that’s a joke? Where’s the part that’s a joke?

>After getting bloodlust, Amber knifed everyone, and this is Joe in hell.

>I refreshed like crazy for this??

>And, of course, we get no resolution to the Amber/Ryan slash. I (and everyone else) called it. Willis often trolls us with cliffihangers. Today, he’s stringing us along with a ukulele. <br> …. <br> …. <br> *flees for dear punning life*
>No resolution? How is it not obvious that Ryan is hospitalized and Amazi-Girl fled the scene, leaving behind a terified Dorothy?
>Boo, you’re no pun.

>Three days later: Amber is still beating the hell out of him.
>People walk by Amber and Ryan on their way to class. Amber is still hacking away. “Oh, just your regular Saturday morning slicing-of-life show…” they say, paying little heed as they stroll on by.
>People just keep tissing change her way, thinking it’s a brilliant piece of performance art.
>*tossing dangit ><
>Why do these people have class on Saturday

>Aww it’s blue! I support you in this Danny. ….So I’m guessing everything that went down has somehow not gotten around campus?

>I swear to God I had to stop and check if it was April Fool’s Day.

>EXCUSE ME. ‘Three days later. I’ve got a Ukelele’!? There are no words that can truly convey how this has killed my soul.

>Ah, so the unspoken evil mentioned on Kickstarter WAS the time-skip.

>Us: “Nothing could be more horrific than the Amber-Ryan fight.” Willis: “Hold my beer.”

>So three days after two of Danny’s exes are involved in some sort of appallingly brutal incident involving a knife and a known rapist… Danny’s doing this? I…did…did the shock addle his brain and that’s why Joe’s concerned?
>>
>>92987028
And still more:

>Okay, so Danny’s level of calm indicates that Amber hasn’t been arrested/hospitalized/gone on the run now that the police are trying to arrest her for murder or maiming? Or at least Danny’s not aware of it if she has, I guess?

>Damn you Willis <br> A 3 day skip is months worth of content

>Funny thing is, this suddenly emergent passion for music is his first real development as a character that doesn’t involve a relationship with someone else. Or, at least, it could be, depending on how seriously this strip is taken.

>Learn play a real fucking instrument, like a saxophone or a guitar.

>Who would have thought that we were going to jump from a knife fight into something TRULY TERRIFYING?

>I actually love the ukulele for Danny, that is so on brand lmao. It’s such a milquetoast white boy thing to do. Bless you, my only mildly problematic fave.

>I ALSO play the ukulele. I’m perfect at it, just like I am at everything.
I don't know who this "Yoto Moe" fella is, but he's got some nerve thinking he's more perfect than Becky.

>Dorothy was really upset about something. But she’s OK now.

>Since three days have passed and Joe and Danny are talking about ukuleles rather than the dead (or near-dead) body found outside the dorm doors, we can safely assume that Amber did not commit murder, manslaughter, or grievous bodily harm and that Ryan was able to leave under his own power.

>Half an hour after posting, 160 comments, and no one is talking about the fact that Danny has no girlfriend and just spent 3 days getting to know himself? Fine, I guess I’ll have to start that one. <br> …so why isn’t his arm super bulked up?

>This is quite the mood whiplash from the previous strip. Also, kinda surprised that the 4th panel didn’t end up being a joke about masturbation or something.

And that's all I care to quote for now. I'm gonna go masturbate myself now.
>>
>>92986739
>not the Short Circuit scene
come on, it fits in context...willis loves that shitty movie for some reason!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm7QA7icbs
>>
>>92986728
>Willis is hoping people forget about the Amber stabbing Ryan strip by putting out boring Danny strips that will put people to sleep

Nice try you freaking hack. You can't just brush that development away like it's a minor thing.
>>
>>92987438
>But Granpa Joe, what happened to Amber? Why are you talking about Danny and a ukulele?
>Well, kiddo, it's a little something called an anticlimax and it's what happens when you make your grandpa tell you a bedtime story when he's got fifty bucks on a football game that just went into overtime. But yeah, long story short is Amber beat a manslaughter charge with self defense, a couple of lawsuits got thrown around, and no one's seen her since. Some say she's still out there with her yellow jumpsuit and stabbin' knife, so eat your vegetables, listen to your parents, try not to get knocked up before you graduate from high school, and don't try to rape a chick who can play six degrees of separation with at least two women with a history of physical violence.
>Ooo, ooo, is the other woman Granma Sarah?
>Yeah...it's your grandmother alright.
>>
File: 1491241495188.png (176KB, 304x420px) Image search: [Google]
1491241495188.png
176KB, 304x420px
>>92987811
>Ooo, ooo, is the other woman Granma Sarah?
Nice
>>
File: End of DOA.png (237KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
End of DOA.png
237KB, 1000x1000px
>>92986728
what the fuck are these chords
>Bwtf# has 6 fingers
>2 fingers on the G and E strings
Willis, if you know jack-shit about music, don't fuckin' write it.
I actually wanted to make an edit, but there's nothing worth memeing in these ukulele pages.
>>
>>92987864
A fellow man of patrician taste.
>>
>>92986728
What happened with Ryan? Is this the strip that followed him getting shanked off screen? Did Willis really bump from an offscreen stabbing to this?
>>
File: ukulele.png (312KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
ukulele.png
312KB, 1000x333px
>>92988003
Well, this was yesterday's strip, but the answer to your second question is still "yes".
>>
>>92987869
They're supposed to show that the ukulele is out of tune.

There are cleaner, less cartoonish ways of showing this.
>>
Even Willis' dickriding fans think this is stupid. You don't pull stuff like this. It's like having a story arc where a city gets blown up and we skip to a week later with the cast at a club dancing to Madeon. It's bad storytelling.
>>
>>92988042
Fuck you Willis. You've got no balls.
>>
>>92986929
>>92987028
>>92987103
>complain about shit he's always done
>will still pay money to his patreon.
Fuck
>>
>>92988264
Oh, these aren't Patron comments. These are in response to >>92988042, which was posted today.
>>
>>92988042
How did Joe not know that Danny was playing the ukulele? How did Joe not see Danny spending hours in their room?

Is he seriously never there? I know he sleeps around and such, but there's no way he missed 3 days of Danny learning to play a ukulele. I call BS.
>>
File: angery_man.jpg (25KB, 450x318px) Image search: [Google]
angery_man.jpg
25KB, 450x318px
I fucking hate this comic and I fucking hate the author, but most of all I hate that I still read this garbage daily
>>
>>92986844
>This is Chekov's Uke
I thought Checkov's uke was a smaller, somewhat effeminate guy that Checkov fucked.
>>
>>92988042
I still can't believe the story moved up 3 entire days. That is months worth of strips!
>>
>>92986786

Never. We will never be so lucky.
>>
File: Billie Proportions.png (289KB, 553x1097px) Image search: [Google]
Billie Proportions.png
289KB, 553x1097px
Did some tinkering in Paint to try to fix the horror of Billie in the last thread.
>>
File: Stacking up 2017.png (2MB, 3320x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Stacking up 2017.png
2MB, 3320x1092px
>>92988894
Compiled this as a quick reference. Say hello to the MonStar Squad.
>>
File: y.jpg (7KB, 295x200px) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
7KB, 295x200px
>>92989069
Why does Willis not understand fashion?
>>
File: Mary17.png (544KB, 685x1891px) Image search: [Google]
Mary17.png
544KB, 685x1891px
>>92989131
Only "evil" characters can dress well.
>>
File: 16487927495.png (27KB, 140x316px) Image search: [Google]
16487927495.png
27KB, 140x316px
>>92986728
>mfw I got a genuine chuckle out of this
>>
File: Stacking up 2017 -- 8 heads.png (2MB, 3320x1532px) Image search: [Google]
Stacking up 2017 -- 8 heads.png
2MB, 3320x1532px
>>92989131
Because it would require research?

>>92989069
Just for giggles, since I still had the picture open and am procrastinating, I did some more stuff to it.

An average adult is 7.5-8 heads tall. I have put 8 heads in every column so you can see the stark difference between what we got and what makes sense.

I'm not saying that Willis should adhere entirely to reality. But the redhead is literally 4 heads tall, which is HALF of the average adult height.

Four heads is between an infant and a toddler. You could literally pick her up and carry her to class as if she were Gollum or a large cat.
>>
>>92989069
What is with the middle triangle hair I see in this comic so much? Does Willis keep recycling the same hair styles?
>>
>>92986786
Is this a distasteful Jeph reference?
>>
>>92989253
To be fair, a lot of cartoon proportions don't adhere to rules like that. Not to defend the shit artstyle, but the heads are about as big as a lot of cartoons. It's pretty clear he's not shooting for realism.
>>
>>92989281
He only knows how to do 3 hair styles.

Ethan/Joyce/Billie, etc.
Mike/Ruth

Umm... I thought there was a third, but it looks like it's just a curly-haired version of the Joyce hair.

>>92989311
True. It's just very obvious that he doesn't have any concept of proportions. Billie is a monstrosity.
>>
Wait wasn't there a knife rapist just happening

I don't follow this but I remember seeing a thread not that long ago about knifey the raper
>>
>>92989345
Billie just shows that he doesn't understand how to draw fat chicks in his art style.

>>92989402
We're all wondering that, anon
>>
>>92989402
Knifey the Raper followed Dorothy and Amber to their dorm. He explicitly said he was gonna stab Joyce. Amber stabbed Knifey the Raper.

Willis declared that the end of the storyline, so now we're getting the Bisexual Adventures of Danny and His Ukulele.
>>
>>92989499
As always in Willis world the solution to the problem was swift and blinding violence
>>
>>92989069
How the hell did Billie manage to get Lesbian Pregnant in three fucking days?
>>
>>92989880
which one's billie because none of those look pregnant
>>
>>92989880
I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but you just reminded me of the disgusting baby arc from the end of Shortpacked. So much vomit. So much stupidity.

>>92990266
Billie is the one with black hair in a ponytail.
>>
>>92990284
she doesn't look pregnant
>>
>>92989499
what proof do they have of Ryan having done anything? Hasn't Amber been stalking him for days now? And then he ends up stabbed to death without a single injury on his "self-defense victim"?

By a vigilante who has been accusing him of rape without any proof for weeks now?
>>
>>92990597
Amber and Dorothy's witness testimony, "Ryan's" prints on the knife, probably security camera footage since it happened in a dorm entrance.
>>
>>92986728
I am legit waiting for the part where Joe finally snaps and yells at Danny for trying so fucking hard to disregard the horrible events of three days ago. Joe looks genuinely freaked out here; the kind of freaked out you'd be if you knew two women had just been involved in a knife fight and now the guy who'd once dated both of them was deliberately ignoring it and obsessing over a fucking ukulele.
>>
>>92986929
>>92987028
>>92987103

The sad part is his fans are more likely to consider this a purposeful trolling on Willis's part rather than awful writing.
>>
>>92991284
The ukulele will never dump him for being too nice and supportive.
>>
>>92987869

I actually wanna hear Bwtf# and Jesus to see what he's came up with there with his random scrawling.
>>
>>92991135
the guy was trying to stab them in front of a security camera?
>>
>>92993154
Its not specifically stated but the front entrance of a women's dorm is about the most obvious place for a camera imaginable. I guess thinking about consequences was not Ryan's strong suit
>>
>>92992755
Ukulele will always listen when he talks about his feelings, ukulele won't ignore him to chase girls, dump him for a spastic manchild, or go after some jackass with a quiff, ukulele loves Danny and Danny loves ukulele.

What's the over/under on ukulele being the next ineffectual villain?
>>
>>92993303
It's a co-ed dorm, and it might've been the male entrance, too. But I still agree that if there was gonna be a camera, entrances make a lot of sense.

Beck entrance: http://www.rps.indiana.edu/img/galleries/REA_building2_20111.jpg

>>92991284
I feel like the only value of the skip is to give Dorothy the dilemma of whether to tell this secret or not. So you can't have characters just knowing that it happened. Regardless of how ridiculous it is for the news to have not spread.
>>
>>92994134
The problem is that telling this "secret" would logically create a fundamental alteration of the strip. Unless this is going to be the new "Ruth gets hit by a truck."
>>
So I'havent been on one of these threads for a few weeks. What happened to Ryan
>>
>>92994562
He tried to attack Amber and Dorothy with a knife, Amber got the knife away from him and presumably stabbed him to death.
>>
File: rip_ryan.png (336KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
rip_ryan.png
336KB, 1000x333px
>>92994562
He's dead, m8
>>
>>92994703
He died like he lived, on the receiving end of serious bodily injury at the hands of a woman.
>>
File: DorothySwish.png (40KB, 121x256px) Image search: [Google]
DorothySwish.png
40KB, 121x256px
>>92994913
lel, true.
>>
>>92994951
I think the worst part about Ryan is that he's functionally an inert villain. We never got anything that would indicate he had an effect on anyone other than the cast. No one else came forward about being drugged, no one managed to notice him despite him skulking around campus all day, he might as well not exist when the cast isn't around. All the other villains, except Mary, have some form of impact on the strip or characters even when they're not present.
>>
>>92995114
I've recently come to the thought that the reason why Willis never explicitly mentioned him committing any crimes since, is because that would explicitly show a negative consequence on someone else from her not going to the police. That recent statement he gave shows that he thinks that she shouldn't ever have to deal with Ryan again, and having him do another crime would add external consequences to that mindset.

That doesn't explain why he never explored earlier victims, though. He was genuinely on the fence about whether Ryan would reappear so there's that.

But yeah you're totally right, he's only a villain to the main cast. Even when that fight broke out at the rally, the security just stood on the sidelines as Amazi-Girl almost got messed up. It's like the main cast exists in a weird bubble, where anyone else can't really do anything important to them.
>>
>>92995238
I don't get why no earlier victims either. He could have gone with the party being the first time he's actually tried to date rape a woman he if was so unsure about how to deal with Ryan.

It really is too bad Willis doesn't have any balls as a writer, most people could turn the Ryan plot into a full-length novel.
>>
>>92993303
Where I went to college, I managed to sneak a peek at the front desk's security monitor. There was a camera for each door (because there was one on each side of the building), and I think there was one by the mail boxes and one in the lounge area.
>>
>>92995114
The better question is why didn't he put on a mask that only covers half his face and still shows his hair style with a costume that makes his body type easy to identify. We could have had a real villain with an obvious identity that everyone is too stupid to figure out.

Better yet, we could have had a public unmasking of a superhero.
>>
File: cereal meme.png (431KB, 600x1417px) Image search: [Google]
cereal meme.png
431KB, 600x1417px
What are the odds that Ryan is just never mentioned again? We never find out his fate, also giving Amber zero consequences.
>>
File: all_his_cards.png (175KB, 721x1054px) Image search: [Google]
all_his_cards.png
175KB, 721x1054px
>>92997575
Odds are pretty damn high considering this post
>>
>>92997923
>I needed a criminal to bring Amber and Sal together.
Annnnd you couldn't just... I don't know... introduce a new criminal and build up to it again?

The laziness is overwhelming. Why traumatize a character that you don't want to traumatize just so you can get Amber over her fears?
>>
>>92998173
He could have justified the flashback with Leland by bringing him back as a villain. Amber's natural sense of justice could have come into play, as could have Sal's desire for revenge; it could have even clashed with Marcie's desire to let bygones be bygones.
>>
>>92997923
I'd be okay with that if Willis went full black humor with it, like adding a random, body-sized mound of dirt amid the plants by the dorm entrance.
>>
So, just to recount, it's been about a month and a half into the school year, and the school has already gone through:

*A sex scandal
*A political sex scandal
*A man with a gun absconding with someone on school grounds
*A masked vigilante running around, beating up jerks
*Someone getting put into the hospital by said masked vigilante
*Someone getting fucking stabbed outside of a school building

At best, security would be ramped up by 500%. At worst, there'd be massive disruptions in the school year. Either way, this one floor of a dorm is being really inconsiderate to everyone else who wants an education
>>
>>92998629
You forgot the kidnapping to lure out the vigilante and the fact that the stabbing was the result of an attempt at mob justice through social media.
>>
>>92998629
>>92998867
Do you think a private investigator or police detectives will ever realize that all of these events are centralized to the residents of one dormitory, and primarily the residents of one floor/wing in that dorm?
>>
>>92998928
Maybe that floor is haunted by an angry ghost or something. I would pay to see Ghost Hunters-type plot.
>>
>>92998928
At the very least, school security would probably go through the dorm, asking questions.

But Willis won't let that happen, because they'd discover Amber's kit, and if the school decided to punish Amber, he can't tell the stories he wants to tell with her
>>
>>92998928
Did they even report Blaine kidnapping Danny to the police?

As far as someone with non-external knowledge goes, they could easily link the sex scandals and Ross to the wing, but anything with Amazi-Girl wouldn't be included except for maybe the brawl at the political rally (something else that should be added to the list) since Sal was a part of it.
>>
>>92999249
I think the only confirmed report is of Ross kidnapping Becky and firing his gun on campus, despite Becky not even being a student.
>>
>>92998928
Introducing a character to look in to all this bullshit with an eye towards piecing it all together and catching a perpetrator to be prosecuted would be great. They've vaguely mentioned that the police want Amazi-Girl for questioning, but putting a competent face on that movement and having that pressure weigh significantly on Amber would be good. I might actually like her if she had some risks.
>>
>>92998173
Seriously, Joyace got screwed over HARD by this. Willis tortured and traumatized her for the lulz and she doesn't even get to confront him? Her suffering only existed to push another character?

And keep in Mind, Willis is suppose to be a """feminist""". The kind of feminist that hates women in refrigerators and violence against women in fiction. This is the kind of shit he would give other writers (like Miller) shit for and he's thinks he's okay when he does it?

Fuck Willis.
>>
How do you look up the strips in .png format on the main page again? I want to see if I can try and crack it.
>>
>>92999752
You know it would end with either the investigator letting Amber off the hook, an "I am Amazi-Girl" Spartacus ripoff, or Amber beating the shit out of the investigator.
>>
>>93000895
Related but do I need to punch in the exact word or can I just use the first character?
>>
>>92989131
I dunno, I think Joyce's outfit is nice... if those are sky-blue tights, not jeans.
>>
>>93000895
>>93001215
The format is "http://www.dumbingofage.com/comics/YYYY-MM-DD-password.png". YYYY is the year, MM is the month, DD is the day, and "password" is the keyword necessary to view the comic.

You can punch in the first few letters or the entire word; you'll need more than one letter if you want to get to a specific strip that shares the first few letters.
>>
>>93000625
Joyce's trauma gets used to push Amber, Sal's parental issues get used to push Amber, Danny gets shit on to push Amber, Becky being kidnapped gets used to push Amber, notice a pattern?

>>93001305
Willis is surprisingly good at dressing his characters in ways that reflect their personalities.
>>
File: tumblr_or34pfajXG1sm8ur3o1_1280.png (276KB, 600x1242px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_or34pfajXG1sm8ur3o1_1280.png
276KB, 600x1242px
If you ever wanted a lipless Amber on your phone, now you can have her.
>>
>>93001462
So I need to guess the wording of each strip per day, right?

And if a strip is titled "Happening" I could just type in "Hap" and get it?
>>
>>93001747
Just so I'm clear I can't use just the first letter, right?
>>
>>93001747
>>93002263
I should elaborate: Punching in letters only works if you're trying to search for a strip from the homepage. For example, typing in "http://www.dumbingofage.com/ev" brings you to "http://www.dumbingofage.com/2014/comic/book-4/03-up-all-night-to-get-vengeance/evasive/" because the strip's password is "evasive".

It doesn't work when trying to scrounge up future strips since those postings aren't yet live. They're queued, which is why they can be found if you know the date and password ahead of time, but it's impossible to find them through the front page.
>>
>>93001496
ShindoL mindbreak/corruption/abuse/degradation doujin when?
>>
>>93002541
>Ambergence
>>
>>93001111
>an "I am Amazi-Girl" Spartacus ripoff

>I'm Amazi-Girl
>No, I'm Amazi-Girl
>I am Amazi-Girl
>Well, considering Amazi-Girl is short and plumb with brown hair, and you two are tall with red and blonde hair respectively, I'll take my chances with Ms. Whatever-Amber's-Last-Name-Is.

Being that it's Willis, it'd never happen like that, but c'mon.
>>
>>93002654
>Other Rachel and the chick that just Dave Willis' avatar with tits get arrested
>>
>>93002497
Well shit.
>>
>>93001305
I'd almost agree if she wasn't wearing uggs with her fancy cleavage dress.
>>
>>93000625
Willis is a shitty person for a few reasons. He thinks that he's pushing/campaigning for pro feminist works and is doing his part to represent minorities in popular media, but he's not putting effort into it. He's just playing lip service. He has a lesbian character who's only characterization is that he's a lesbian. There could have been real character growth from her arc dealing with religion and a Dad that doesn't approve of her. He killed the setup for real writing for a cheap, unrealistic action scene because he probably thought that it looked cool. There is still tons of Unused character progression that will never get touched because Willis doesn't have the talent to approach it in a meaningful way. Joyce and Becky's slightly strained friendship never really got mended. Becky sexual loves Joyce and her advances made Joyce uncomfortable. But that has never been addressed again nor will it. This is just one of the things he does.

And then he'll mask his talentless decisions by saying things like he treats his characters as if they are real, so he doesn't want anything bad to happen to his childhood characters he's had since roomies and Joyce and Walky. He also has a tendency to pretend his audience is easily triggered and this why he won't dive all the way into a darker toned plot. Suicide, rape, mental illness are all serious subjects he implants into his stories, but they never matter because he doesn't do anything with them. He just uses it for drama but doesn't understand the seriousness of these things. So he'll make excuses like "I don't want to have my audience see this kind of thing." Then why impliment it?!

Willis is a hack and will never change. His audience will never change. Nothing will change. I hope he loses the use of his hands.
>>
>>93004107
>He's just playing lip service.
Well, duh.

>There is still tons of Unused character progression that will never get touched because Willis doesn't have the talent to approach it in a meaningful way.
I think the other half of the problem is that he never pushes to challenge himself to write it. He's complacent with bringing it up and then dropping it. For example, the Becky/Joyce thing. Other than the scene at the fountain when Becky was taken away by her father, he's never expanded upon Becky's feelings for Joyce; he had the initial kiss, Becky being mopey, and then her hooking up with Dina, and ever since then we're supposed to assume that Becky just up and lost any interest in Joyce outside of using her as a straight man for her lesbian quips.

>Suicide, rape, mental illness are all serious subjects he implants into his stories, but they never matter because he doesn't do anything with them.
I feel like he uses these themes both out of imitation of other comics or stories using them and him wanting to be considered one of the Big Boys, as well as him not so much pandering to his audience but giving them something simple to understand and possibly connect with.
"Oh, this character attempted suicide! That's sad!"
"Oh, she's got a mental imbalance! I feel the same way sometimes!"
"Oh, she was almost raped! Y'know, I was almost raped too! We have so much in common!"
Something like that. That's how I see it sometimes, at least. As for never expanding upon them, that pretty much ties into the first paragraph. He's too complacent and comfortable, and doesn't want to break out of his zone.
>>
>>93004107
>>93004737
Becky saying that she's still a Christian is the most we've seen of her having an actual character in a long time.
>>
>>93004925
I was going to say that Becky expressing sadness when remembering the death of her mother was the most we've seen of her character.
>>
>>93004948
Now think about how long ago that was.
>>
File: 2016-05-26-cashbucks.png (330KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-26-cashbucks.png
330KB, 1000x333px
>>93005052
Just over one year ago, as it happens.
>>
File: BeckyAlsoLesbiansIntoYou.png (38KB, 103x222px) Image search: [Google]
BeckyAlsoLesbiansIntoYou.png
38KB, 103x222px
>>93005140
I wanna react with Becky saying "Help, I can't stop being quirky" but I didn't save the image.
>>
File: 1484774761266.png (149KB, 705x546px) Image search: [Google]
1484774761266.png
149KB, 705x546px
>>93005428
Here ya go, anon
>>
>>93005508
Thanks, famiglia!
>>
>>93001496
Part of me wants to see Amber doing her usual Quirky Nerd Girl thing the next time she's on screen, with everyone being normal except a horrified Dorothy, who knows what Amber is when the mask slips off.

In the hands of an actual writer, it would be good meta of the Quirky Violent Girl that's so big in webcomics.
>>
>>93000625
Thinking about it, this comes very close to Fridging. Basically having Joyce suffer for a good year or so to give Amber & Joyce a push & power-up.

But Fridging is something only bad mainstream comic writers do that, something Willis would never do.
>>
>>93006104
It is fridging. Fridging doesn't require the character to be killed or the beneficiary to be male.
>>
>>93004948
Wasn't that emotion uprooted by him doing that retarded kitten thing with his audience?
>>
File: 2016-05-25-ghosts (Original).png (728KB, 1000x1661px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-25-ghosts (Original).png
728KB, 1000x1661px
>>93006614
That was the day prior.
>>
>>93006190
Not in Willis-World™
>>
File: 1486939708327.jpg (20KB, 480x420px) Image search: [Google]
1486939708327.jpg
20KB, 480x420px
>>93006634
I still can't believe this isn't an edit
>>
File: Willis lying.png (77KB, 278x404px) Image search: [Google]
Willis lying.png
77KB, 278x404px
>>93006657
Willis would never do anything insulting! Never, ever!
>>
File: agency.png (91KB, 649x512px) Image search: [Google]
agency.png
91KB, 649x512px
>>93000625
>>93006104
I'll post this again for anyone who missed it last thread. It's a continuation of this >>92997923 thread.

It's fascinating to me how Willy justifies his poor writing and decisions to himself and his fans.
>>
>>93007362
>When your so deep in your fictional characters that you start whiting knighting them.

Who is he defending? Himself?
>>
>>93007501
Well, he writes most of his characters as aspects of himself, both past and present, so yeah. I guess he is white knighting himself. Sad, really.
>>
What happened to Jacob?
>>
File: 2017-04-03-relentlessly.png (430KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-03-relentlessly.png
430KB, 1000x333px
>>93007652
He hasn't been gone for too long by DoA minor character standards.

Last we saw of him, he was getting spirited away by Raidah in early April after getting Joyce all hot-and-bothered.
>>
>>93004107
Succinct.
>>
>>93007819
I ship JoycexJacob so hard. Seriously,
not even hardcore MaryxCarla hatefucking could top it.
>>
File: 1485241012546.png (34KB, 87x209px) Image search: [Google]
1485241012546.png
34KB, 87x209px
>>93008090
>M-me and Jacob, anon?
>Th-that's silly! He's just a friend!
>>
>>93008199
>not wanting to pop out a brood of cafe au lait babies with a good Christian man who also happens to be well-muscled and on a viable career track
>>
Personally, I'd like Danny and Sal to hook back up.
If there's one thing that not only panders to people demanding interracial relationships despite a proper lack of development as well as to people who hate it when interracial relationships are always white woman getting BLACKED,

it's white male/black female hookups.
>>
>>93007362

Willis and his readers all belong in hell
>>
>>93007819
Being pursued by Joyce sounds pretty good.
>>
>>93007362
> Joyce shouldn't have to lift a finger to get justice

So she has to live the rest of her life seeing Ryan around every corner, with no closure, nobody to even tell her that he's gone, all because some hack writer decided that not having agency is empowering.

I don't know how people in the DOA-verse can believe in god. Their god is a dick.
>>
File: 2013-11-27-sally[1].png (320KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2013-11-27-sally[1].png
320KB, 1000x333px
>>93008566
This is something I'd like to see as well. A lot of it came from the angle of Danny putting Dorothy and Amazi-Girl on a pedestal, but moving past that with Sal pretty quick. And I feel like they both have some self-esteem issues that they could work out. Also her intimidating him sexually is pretty cute/hot. (And you could do one of those reverse callbacks Willis loves by having Sal see Danny topless or something and react by splooshing all over)
>>
>>93008566
>>93009430
I really don't see a SalxDanny relationship working. She seems like she'd have no patience for his bullshit.
>>
>>92986964

Im betting Amber just gives Ryan another facial scar on the other side of his face. She's not gonna face any repercussions for this act and Ryan either fucked off for good or got arrested off panel.

For someone who REALLY likes Drama, WIllis is horrible at it. I don't think any storyline has had a logical, satisfying conclusion. The only reason Ryan even shows up was to force an end to this storyline, as there's no logical reason for him to do this. He might've gotten away if he had just kept to himself.
>>
>>92989131

Same reason he doesn't understand thinking rationally, humor or competent writing.
>>
>>93010055
I can see Amber's wounds to Ryan being hyped up as something so shockingly horrible that Willis dare not put it on screen. Then, if/when he finally does, it ends up being something completely superficial, like a second scar or a survivable stab wound.

It depends on whether or not we ever get any actual confirmation of Ryan's death.
>>
>>93009632
>Not remembering when Danny was Sal's perfect husbando in a world of crazy alien bullshit and zombie boyfriends

God, he should have just fucking stopped making comics after it's Walky (or at least Joyce and Walky)
>>
File: 1490309677995.png (788KB, 700x875px) Image search: [Google]
1490309677995.png
788KB, 700x875px
>>93010146
He understands all of those things, to some degree. He's just chosen not to use ANY of them for the last seven or eight years because he's a lazy shitlord.
>>
File: 2017-04-01.png (568KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-01.png
568KB, 700x906px
>>93010215
>Not remembering when Danny was Sal's perfect husbando in a world of crazy alien bullshit and zombie boyfriends

Pepperidge Farms remembers...
>>
>>92998928

In a universe governed by logic and rational thinking, yes.

This is not such a universe.
>>
>>93010410
God. Reading Willis's commentary on that strip hurts, and reminds me why I haven't read the re-posting of It's Walky! for years.

>Dang, Joe. Even Head Alien’s sober enough to handle the lady with the doomsday weapon with care, but you barge in and are all “whatever, you nutbar, you don’t really have these feelings” like you really want to die.
>Joe thinks he has the best grasp on Sal, that he sees both sides of her in a way that Danny and everyone at SEMME only had opposing halves of.
>He’s seen her zany and he’s seen her angsty, and he seems to think the angsty stuff is the act. Dude, you got it backwards, you ding-a-ling.

He's so far removed from being able to write compelling stories and characters at this point, he's retconning the meaning behind his old strips to make them worse.
>>
>>93010215
There is no alien bullshit or zombie boyfriends here, just a self-absolving girl with attention issues, a kinda douchey milquetoast boy, and a human-sized mound of dirt hidden by the bushes.
>>
>>93009277
I think the weaponized humanity thing gets to me the most, and to the an extent the weaponized friendship Joyce & the others share. Like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop thing

>Even against *you* I will not stoop to brutality & violence... unfortunately I know at least a half dozen friends who *don't* have that drawback..
>>
File: Amber17.png (241KB, 500x891px) Image search: [Google]
Amber17.png
241KB, 500x891px
>>93010198
Considering there's updated Amber in Willis recent line up of profile pics I imagine things being basically consequence free.
>>
>>93010291
Right near the end of Shortpacked and as he was starting Dumbing of Age, he realized he could basically just do College/Slice of Life for the rest of his adult life & rake in the internet money.
>>
File: MaryCarlaWall2.jpg (972KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
MaryCarlaWall2.jpg
972KB, 2048x1536px
>>93011211
A good point. We haven't even seen the Carla and Mary outfits shown here yet; I'm guessing that'll be today or tomorrow in the Dumbiverse, since Mary looks to be dressed to the nines in her Sunday Best.
>>
>>93008566
>people who hate it when interracial relationships are always white woman getting BLACKED,
idk in my experience on here at least, it's shorthand for not liking bmwf. I don't really care, preferences are preferences, but they always seem to ignore a large number of counter examples from the media. In canon Star Wars comics there's already more wmbf than Marvel's bmwf. I mean Archer alone is a pretty good counter example.
>>
>>93011404
On average, wmbf is more common in media than bmwf.
>>
>>93011404
I'm sure there are more examples coming nowadays, though I don't know if there are any as mainstream as Archer and Star Wars.

Historically, however, it's almost always been BMWF. Very rarely if ever has it been WMBF. When the "Fantastic Four" movie was announced, I was more put off by Sue Storm being white than Johnny Storm being black, mostly because they could have had the Storm siblings be black and nobody would have ever complained about racebending or whatever.

>>93011477
Do you have any documentation on this?
Mostly because I'd love to be wrong about this whole thing. Except for the "Fantastic Four" thing; I know I'm right so don't prove me wrong or else I'll start crying.
>>
>>92994703
hahahahahaha, what the fuck
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>93011518
My impression has been the opposite. BFWM has always been marketable, so much so that it flies under the radar so many times. How long was it before Will Smith could have an onscreen romance with a white character? 6 years on the fresh prince and not once. I do recall his recurring aunt being married to a white guy with a kid. Also during the time on Boy Meets World, Shawn had an ongoing relationship with a black chick. Even in the other Fantastic Four movie, Sally hooked up with the Thing. Look at Star Trek, same now as it was in 60's, but everyone got triggered over TFA. Look at Zoe Saldanas romantic opposites over the last ten years. It's always been there.
>>
>>93010743

It's real surreal shit. Like he's literally a different person from whoever wrote the scene he's commenting on. Why does he have to retcon it? Why is it now wrong to imply that Joe's actually got a handle on Sal's behavior? Is it because his new subhuman fans began to hate Joe and how he's got to pretend Joe's an asshole so he doesn't get hatemail?

Willis is just trash
>>
>>93009430

THeres no way a pair of cutoffs can be that low without slipping off her
>>
>>93012106
I think Willis thought that low-riding hip-hugger denim short-shorts are a thing that exist.
>>
File: 1458522977176.png (858KB, 599x592px) Image search: [Google]
1458522977176.png
858KB, 599x592px
>>93011774
Don't forget the (arguably) most famous pop-culture BFWM pairing these days.
>>
>>93012211
Ultra low rise jeans do exist but they're functionally fetish wear or purely layering pieces.
>>
File: LoJeanSOLENT_468x297[1].jpg (33KB, 468x297px) Image search: [Google]
LoJeanSOLENT_468x297[1].jpg
33KB, 468x297px
>>93012106
>>93012211
I think he saw these once, and was like "well Sal is CAPITAL S SEXY so she'd definitely go way past these." It's probably informed by race as well. He's a wild asshole.
>>
>>93012382
The "thong" is fake, it's stitched to the pants.
>>
>>93011518
>>93011774
A quick look through Will Smith's filmography told me that he has, maybe, four white non-Hispanic love interests: Salma Hayek in Wild Wild West, Charlize from Hancock, what's her face from MIB I and Margot Kidder in Focus. And Hayek dumps him and the love story in Hancock is partially a morality play on racism, so really two white love interests. For black or hispanic girls, there's Dawson in MIB II, the chick from Independence Day, Hitch, After Earth, Ali, Seven Pounds, Bad Boys, Bad Boys 2. That's a 1 to 2 ratio at best, and that's not even counting his girlfriends on Fresh Prince. And this is for one of the biggest stars in America, for whom a lof of the usual rules can be bent. Denzel Washington can barely even get a love interest, and even had the story rewritten in Pelican's Grief so he wouldn't get with the white chick. Compare to, say, Zoe Saldanas, who's had a white love interest in Mission Impossible, Star Trek, GotG, and probably a few other films I can't be bothered to look up.

I'm reasonably certain that the discrepancy will hold up for most black movie stars.
>>
>>93012938
I think you're confusing co-star for love interest. Salma Hayek isn't his love interest in WWW - she's also not white - and Linda Fiorentino isn't the love interest in MIB as there isn't a love interest in the film.

Also I chafe at anyone who calls Saldana black, even if she refers to herself as black.
>>
>>93012382

That is the most white trash thing I think I've ever seen.
>>
>>93013137
There are plenty of black people "native" to DR. There were plenty of slave plantations in the carribean too, and their descendants have been living there for generations now.
>>
File: Zoe_Saldana.jpg (237KB, 968x1290px) Image search: [Google]
Zoe_Saldana.jpg
237KB, 968x1290px
>>93013137
>Zoe Saldanas
She's about as black as Sal is. In fact, with her long, straight hair, slim figure, and lighter skin tone, she's a pretty good Hollywood parallel for Sal.
>>
>>93012938
Salma Hayek isn't Hispanic?
>>
>>93013219
I'm not saying she doesn't have black ancestry, but it's clearly a generation or two removed.
>>
>>93013137
Okay, bits and pieces wrong. Blame me, I got 4 hour of sleep 16 hours ago. But my point still holds up.

And Saldanas is black enough. She's Dominican, Puerto Rican and Haitian, her skin's more than dark enough and she has to straighten her hair to get it to look that way.
>>
File: reimagining.png (386KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
reimagining.png
386KB, 1000x333px
I can't take much more of this. In a different context, a return to the Roomies! Joe and Danny dynamic might have been fun. Yet, somehow, Willis has turned it into pure, unadulterated shit by putting it at the tail end of the last story.

And Willis has some weird issue with Seattle, apparently, so that's new, I think.
>>
>>93013539
I guess we're making fun of hipsters now?

I guess we're making fun of hipsters now.

I actually would have really liked this plot if it happened, like, five years ago. When something this stupid would have been appropriate.
>>
>>93013539
This has to be Danny willfully ignoring three days ago...
>>
>>93013539
I would agree. This wouldn't be so bad if this didn't follow such a major event. If this happened, oh idk, ANY OTHER FUCKING TIME then this series of roomies escapades would be acceptable.
>>
>>93013539
I agree entirely. I don't even know if the actual fans will tolerate it for much longer.

And like I said before, the ukulele's totally going to bite the dust by the end of this storyline/chapter/whatever.

>>93013584
This would make sense... if Danny was even there to witness it.
I never saw the show myself, but I'm pretty sure that attempting to escape into denial and self-therapy via a new hobby due to being unable to comprehend an emotionally traumatic event was handled better in "Freaks and Geeks". Primarily because the kid it happened to had to endure the actual emotional trauma first-hand.
>>
>>93013539
Within context it seems like Joe is disturbed and genuinely frightened at Danny's callous lack of concern over the dead rapist at the hands of his ex, out of context it seems like Danny intentionally fucking with Joe.

The flat cap works pretty well with Danny's design.
>>
>>93013643
That's the problem: We have no context.
Willis ended the last story with Amber slashing at Ryan off-screen while Dorothy watched in horror. We then skip ahead three days later to two characters who weren't even there when it happened. We have no context regarding what they know, when and where they learned about it (if they have), and what their initial reactions and feelings were. For all we know, Joe could have tried to hop out a third-story window and Danny could have streaked across the quad.

But we have no context for any of this. They may as well have done nothing the past three days.
>>
>>93013782
>For all we know, Joe could have tried to hop out a third-story window and Danny could have streaked across the quad
Now THAT sounds like a good comic strip.
>>
Meanwhile, in the comments to >>92986728:

>Danny has been broken by what he feels he made Amber do

>I love that we’ve just jumped to this sudden roomies!-esque shenanigans with Joe and Dan.

>“I will be loved by making myself The Dude With The Thing.” A whimsical, inoffensive thing. This is one of the most universally recognizable college experiences yet portrayed in DoA.

>This is hilarious, but I’m still reeling from the whiplash…
>Tomorrow: Danny is revealed to have utterly lost it with horror. Oh, wait, he’s already playing the ukelele.

>…damn it, Willis, do you get off on trolling us?
*notes use of song primarily sung by women about men being sung by bi-curious-at-least Danny*
>Also the guy who’s lost his superhero.
See, now if that pans out later on, then I'll be like "Nice touch, Willis. But you're still a hack."

>this is too happy and silly and the ukelele is great, I know the whiplash is coming. XD

>I’m waiting for Joe to just explode and scream at Danny for apparently living in denial over what happened three days ago

>Danny? Go, go! Your lady needs you! Tonight, Joe repays his debt!

>I seriously hope that Joe or Ethan (or both) will offer real comfort to Danny, because it sounds like after the three day break, everything got WAY fucked up.

>Danny continues to be adorable from the last strip, and I DO believe this is the smell of Joe Character Development I smell

>“I’m going to fucking slap you.” Is something I’d write were I stupid enough to use the language of physical assault to express my extreme displeasure with the author’s pointlessly drawing out his lurid cliffhanger. But I’m reasonable.

Surprisingly, the comments are very sparse right now. Probably because people know it's not a resolution to the end of the last story.
>>
>>92994703
He's not dead
she cut his pee pee off
>>
>>93013863
>Surprisingly, the comments are very sparse right now
Same for the Patreon comments. Just a few neutral comments about how cute "gay Danny" is, and naught else.

It's like everyone is struggling to find something good to say, but most people can't, so they just don't bother commenting.
>>
>>93013539
Fuck you Willis, I have that hat.
>>
>>93013927
Like I said, it's probably because Wow It's Literally Nothing. You can expect comments to pick up again if/when Willis decides to finally follow up on the last story.
>>
>>93013539
Joe would make a better case for a bro hug if he was wearing a shirt, though Danny is giving a loving appraisal of Joe's pecs in panel 2.
>>
File: howard carla.png (122KB, 682x332px) Image search: [Google]
howard carla.png
122KB, 682x332px
>>93013539
Who uses the word "dapper"?
>>
>>93013782
Lets make up our own context!

Amber didn't kill Ryan. Mary, after a particularly brutal and punch-filled episode of bullying by Billie, tried to commit suicide by leaping from window only to wind up goomba stomping Ryan's skull into the pavement. She's now the hero of the campus.

Joe actually managed to score with Rachel, but afterwards she broke down crying over how she only slept with him because he reminded her of her dead boyfriend. He's been out of sorts ever since and is struggling to figure out the right thing to do.

Danny finally hooked up with Ethan, but his ego and pride were shattered when Ethan called out Mike's name when he was getting a handjob. "Sensitive queer guy" being a persona he couldn't use due to the bubbling anger and embarrassment, he switched to quirky musician. He originally wanted to play the concertina but couldn't afford one.
>>
>>92986899
with how much WiIlis lifts from scrubs it wouldn't surprise me if he was doing the same with with if he was branching out
>>
>>93014163
Honestly, I'd much rather read a story about the missing three days than anything else right now.

>>92986899
>>93014229
I'm anticipating the next strip being Danny finally breaking down and confronting his denial, which plays into Willis not wanting to drag out the story and actually develop an arc for Danny to follow. However, it's also Willis' MO to drag out the storyline but never actually develop the subtext.
>>
>>93014163
Okay, here goes.

Amber killed Ryan in cold blood. There were no worries about CCTV cameras because law enforcement is both evil AND incompetent. They cut up the body, and Dorothy served it in the soup kitchen she allegedly volunteers at.

Meanwhile, Ruth committed suicide, because of fucking course she did. She was in a bed for a fucking day, and then they released her to deal with her abusive grandfather and girlfriend. Big surprise.

Rachel organized a floor party to celebrate Ruth's death, and all of Ryan's bros showed up with a keg of Rohypnol. With a little help from their old high school buddy Carl, they raped everyone. Especially Walky.

The last three strips didn't actually happen. They're a product of Joyce's mental-break after Rape-Fest '17. She's beginning to imagine a better world where Danny and Joe are buddies, and real-world issues are eventually replaced by fun sci-fi alien drama.
>>
>>93014094
I do, usually to describe gents wearing top hats.
>>
>>93014434
So what does it mean when fun sci-fi alien drama turns into dark sci-fi alien drama where people start dropping like flies?
>>
File: DannySeesHisBestFriendsChest.png (89KB, 239x327px) Image search: [Google]
DannySeesHisBestFriendsChest.png
89KB, 239x327px
>>93013539
It's pretty weird that Joe is being so earnest about apologizing for being a bad friend because of this ukelele goof. Which isn't to say that I don't think Danny is being serious, it's just not a very serious topic. I mean, Joe shut him down when he tried to come to him about questioning his sexuality.

Speaking of questioning...

Oh also that hat makes his head look less tumourous he should keep it.

>>93013782
Yeah, there's no context. And I still don't really see the value in doing a skip and having everyone just know what happened. You want to see all those reactions you mentioned.

I'm just gonna keep assuming that no one knows until its been revealed otherwise. I won't be particularly surprised if people know things but I'm gonna wait until I at least hear what news coverage there was.

>>93013863
>Danny has been broken by what he feels he made Amber do
This feels like a stretch even for Danny. I dunno why he'd feel responsible for Amber doing this at all. Also the last interaction was her telling Danny to stop trying to babysit her, and I'd be so glad if he internalized that and stopped believing he owes her anything. She ended it, just let it go.

>“I’m going to fucking slap you.” Is something I’d write were I stupid enough to use the language of physical assault to express my extreme displeasure with the author’s pointlessly drawing out his lurid cliffhanger. But I’m reasonable.
This person has done the thing, despite stating their issues with doing the thing.
>>
>>93014517
I guess that would be when Joyce starts coming to terms with reality. Then she verrryyyyy gradually remembers everything that really happened in those few weeks of college over the course of many, many years.

Until she gets to the memories of Rape-Fest, when she shuts down into fun sci-fi alien mode again.

Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>93014434
>The last three strips didn't actually happen. They're a product of Joyce's mental-break after Rape-Fest '17. She's beginning to imagine a better world where Danny and Joe are buddies, and real-world issues are eventually replaced by fun sci-fi alien drama.

We won't find out about this until 2030, when Willis writes the strip where she wakes up and the comic ends.
>>
>>93014627
So she's going to be one of those weird chicks who talk about how they were abducted by aliens and make yearly pilgrimages to Roswell?
>>
>>93006031
I want to see Amber violently masturbating and manhandling her milkbags
Neither of us is getting what they want but at least you're aiming for something believable
>>
>>93014819
If you just did that for me now I'm so grateful
>>
>>93014819
Okay, I can see now why Yoto is hesitant to do full lewds.
>>
>>93013539
... Did Willis just watch Undergrads or something? This is straight up Room Guy malarky.
>>
>>93012938
>four white non-Hispanic love interests: Salma Hayek in Wild Wild West

Stop posting on the internet and go try out your bullshit where people can break your teeth for it.
>>
>>93014837
Nah, I just had the image saved.
>>
I'm sorry, but what is the fucking time frame? Is the semester over, when's the shitty LGBTQIA Christmas special feat. Bigoted relatives?
>>
File: 1494131512626.png (85KB, 372x675px) Image search: [Google]
1494131512626.png
85KB, 372x675px
>>93015325
CHRISTMAS? Nigga, we still haven't had Halloween.

Check back in 2024 or something.
>>
>>93015325
im pretty sure its early october right now
>>
>>93015410
>>93015411
fuck looks like I'll have to wait for 2020 for the Thanksgiving special feat. Bigoted relatives Co-Starring Out of place political rantings about the presidential elect.
>>
File: HTP becky.jpg (80KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
HTP becky.jpg
80KB, 400x267px
I was bored and made a thing
>>
>>93015466

41 days from 8/29/XX to 10/9/XX comic time.
2460 from 9/10/10 to 6/5/17 real time.
So, one Willis day equals exactly 60 real days using the info from http://walkypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dumbing_of_Age_Timeline

For argument's sake, lets say Thanksgiving falls on the 25th in Year Willis.
47 days from 10/9/XX to 11/25/XX
47*60=2820 days bringing us to Thanksgiving by February fucking 24th, 2025. Holy shit.
>>
>>93015779
hes done time skips before. hell, he just did one. if he runs out of storylines that take place before then he could easily just jump ahead

i doubt he wants to still be doing this comic in 2025
>>
File: 2007-04-16-cancer.png (114KB, 500x739px) Image search: [Google]
2007-04-16-cancer.png
114KB, 500x739px
>>93015833
This is his Garfield. His Funky Winkerbean. You're kidding yourself if you think this ride ends anytime in the next 10 years.

He would love nothing more than to still be doing this comic in 2025.
>>
>>93015917
hes bound to get bored eventually
>>
>>93015917
He has to know no one will ever take his writing seriously? He's not good and any professional can see that.
>>
>>93015995
As long as non-professionals pay him over $5K/mo to write Dumbing of Age, why would he care what "professionals" think?
>>
>>93013584
Maybe he had a stroke. Or a seizure. This is eerie.

>>93013643
I dunno, this is standard white-boy stuff when they have no sense of identity like Danny does.
>>
>>93015917
I always thought this strip was dumb. He shoves all kinds of shitty drama into his own comics that's exactly the same.
>>
>>92994677
>>92994703

Going by her hands in the second panel, Amber had already injured him pretty badly even before she cut him.

>>93013892

Angle looks way too high for that; a throat slash or nose removal seems much more likely.
>>
>>93016373

Come to think of it, Amber cutting off his nose would probably lead to Skeletor references so I can see Willis going down that path.
>>
>>93013539
I actually laughed.
>>
>>93013539
Willis's shading makes it look like Joe has vitiligo. You'd think he could do at least one thing right.
>>
>>93016167
Willis' shit is much worse. While the plots might be over the top melodrama, at least the characters in Funky are pretty well written with realistic problems and relationships.

I feel bad for characters in the Funkyverse when bad things happen to them, when they happen to DoA characters I either don't care or more likely I'm actually glad, because they're all such unlikable cunts.
>>
>>93015759
Underrated.
Solid 7.6/10
>>
>>93015759
>two eyes
Becky has one eye and one hair beetle, get it right.
>>
>>93016373
I think that first punch opened up his scar and got pus on her hand. Because Willis pretty much always draws blood super red.
>>
>>93016167
>>93018179
Let me just leave this here: http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/154885099302/itswalky-one-of-our-twin-boys-chase-had-to

>My god, these are horrifying. And, like, they’re designed to be. So many final panels where we’re supposed to believe that Summer is dead, only for it to be revealed in the next day’s strip that, naw, she’s cool, through either mundane or ridiculous reveals. Like Les seeing an empty incubator, somehow missing seeing his wife holding their baby like five feet to the left until the following strip. I mean, how does that train of narrative work, anyway? What, Les believed his child was dead and they let him come on in and see her incubator and figgered it’d be easier for him to find out that way?

>The final week of the sequence, as Lisa and Les finally take Summer home, is this week long troll. In each strip, we’re given a few panels of the happy family, and then a final panel where we see an unknown person sneaking into their house, looking at them approaching through the blinds, and culminating in a final cliffhanger where Lisa comes through the door, sees the intruder, and shouts “YOU!”

>And it’s just her goddamned parents.

>That just colors the whole story badly for me. The juxtaposition of “Les has many cliffhangers where he worries his premature daughter is dead but we find out she’s all right tomorrow” and “we think somebody’s breaking into their apartment to attack them but it’s just the kindly grandparents” just makes the whole thing seem fucking disingenuous. Does Batiuk really want to make us understand what parents of preemies go through, or is this, like the bait-and-switch with the “intruders,” him tricking the readership because he loves tricking the readership, but using an infant’s life as currency.

>I don’t like cliffhangers in bad faith. If you are purposefully misleading your readers just so in the next strip you can go HAW HAW GOT YOU, that’s not… good.
>>
>>93019090
>SPEAKING OF CLIFFHANGERS IN BAD FAITH

>we just finished a segment of funky winkerbean in which we day-to-day watch a character climb up the Hollywood sign to throw herself off the top to her death, only to be revealed the next week that, naw, that was her “safe space” and she just climbed back down at the end even though the last we saw her she was leaning off the edge of the sign in a way that says, whoa, gravity is now definitely in charge

>(nevermind that the hollywood sign is, like, surrounded in razor wire and motion alarms specifically to prevent this very specific thing, so i have no idea how this was her “safe space”)

>anyway a bait-and-switch suicide is something you tease your readership with, just for the lulz

Willis is most certainly a subscriber to the notion of "Do as I say, not as I do."
>>
Oh, and in more DoA-related trivia: http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/161495563772/did-you-take-music-theory-in-school-its-just

When asked if he took music theory in school (a question prompted by the bar-chord humor in the latest strips):

>I took years of piano lessons as a child and more pertinently I learned how to play the ukulele this past spring because they were distributed for free on a boat and we all had a lot of free time. In fact, Danny’s uke is the blue one everyone got in their cabin, complete with a booklet quickstart tutorial by Molly Lewis.

Pic Related.

>But the more honest answer is… I dunno, just Google the tabs, then draw them. I try to play them out myself first to make sure they’re not bad tabs, but I don’t have to have them all personally memorized, no. Just gotta Google it.

>Another part of the process was sending these strips (three months ago) to Joel Watson, who ukes it up sometimes, to make sure a more experienced set of eyes thought the humor “scanned.” I am but a novice and didn’t want to write something inscrutable.
>>
>>93019102
Willis wishes he had the balls to give one of his characters cancer so they could angst about it for the rest of his life.
>>
File: image.png (32KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32KB, 300x310px
>>93014819
Do people actually fap to this?
>>
>>93019261
I'm sure it'll happen. He'll eventually run out of Ripped From The Headlines topics to discuss and it'll end up next on his list.

The question is, who will get it? I predict Willis will make his choice based upon how many of his fans would cry were the character to have to go through chemotherapy and lose their hair. By the word "hair" alone, my money's on Becky.
>>
>>93013539
I am now pretty sure the Head Alien is mind with everyone at the end of each storyline and no one really remembers anything that happens, except vaguely, as though it (was written and posted on the internet) happened years ago instead of yesterday.

>Remember that school shooting that happened last week? Dude that was years ago, it's fine.

>Remember the riot at the Republican rally? 6 months ago man, get over it
>>
>>93015942

He seems pretty bored right NOW.
>>
>>93016048
There's also the $70K Kickstarters when it's time to produce a trade collection.

>>93016167
Gratuitous drama, gratuitous T&A, gratuitous violence. He basically does all the things he gives crap to newspaper strips and mainstream comics for doing. The only difference is he's convinced a large enough audience that he's doing it "right".
>>
>>93021773
The secret is lesbians and bisexuals.
>>
File: 2014-06-25-pantalones-en-fuego.jpg (204KB, 1150x460px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-25-pantalones-en-fuego.jpg
204KB, 1150x460px
>>93022033
Pretty much
>>
What's everyone's favorite Willis comic?
There's...

Joyce and Walky
It's Walky!
Shortpacked!
Dumbing of Age
Roomies
It's Pregnancy

And probably something else?

---“Joyce and Walky” Dump---
http://pastebin.com/5MwZPhsE

---Patreon-Only Bonus Strips---
http://imgur.com/a/X5kU9

---VA Anon’s generous voice-over work---
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pi3rlni1v293g/DoA_and_Shortpacked

Free Pinups
http://itswalky.deviantart.com/gallery/37947681/Pin-Up-Week

ACO Smut collection:
http://desuarchive.org/aco/thread/1131190

Smut Doc:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl9qih1wxs3p515/DumbingofSmut.docx?dl=0
>>
>>93022159
I love how his friend pretty much depends Willis as a man child who sucks at life.
>>
>>92987869

Bwtf# = B What The Fuck. You've missed the obvious joke. If you are actually trying to play this, post a recording. The sixth finger is a finger slipping from one place to another in mid chord.
>>
>>93014855
I am indeed not good at it. Though in that case I was more just joking about how over the top Willis gets with the sweat and drool and SPLOOSH

>>93019567
I'd be surprised if they did, to be honest.
>>
>>93024088
Thinning your lines and cleaning up your work a bit would probably do wonders for lewds.
>>
>>93019629
That's actually why Becky's mom committed suicide- she developed a type of cancer. Now it turns out that Becky has inherited it. The only problem is how can this be tied back to be Mary's fault?
>>
>>93006634

This remains the most pathetic decision Willis has ever made in this comic.

I know his readers are a menagerie of mental illnesses, but when telling a story, you generally don't want to completely spoil every single emotional gut-punch in that story.

It also sets the precedent for fans to be outraged when some other kind of triggering content shows up and he DOESN'T preface it with a full page of black space.

The thing is, this particular strip, while not incredible or anything...is actually decent. It would have some semblance of impact that is completely destroyed by not just a trigger warning (which I have mixed feelings about, but okay) but a page of blank space and THEN an immediate goofy "here's a kitten!" pic underneath it.

If you said "TW: attempted suicide," I'd still mock you for giving away the gut-punch, but at least you'd be operating within the realm of creative sanity. This is like a novelist putting two blank pages ahead of a death scene, then quoting the whimsical comedic poetry of Shel Silverstein while reassuring the reader that this is all fictional.

How little do you think of your audience that you need to offer them a blanket and some hot chocolate and kitties after one of the only decent shots at an emotional moment in your comic?
>>
>>93025071
Mary's parents were the ones who convinced Becky's dad to ignore the doctor's advice and stick to prayer.
>>
>>93025110
That's not Mary's fault though, it's her parents fault.
>>
>>93013584

Which would be fine, if Willis wasn't gonna drag out the reveal for a week or more, and you just KNOW that he is.

Meanwhile all the commenters are slowly brimming over with hatred for Danny. I wish the poor guy would just go fuck Ethan already.
>>
>>93025202
It was Mary's fault because she was in the room at the time when they were talking to Toedad and gushing about the Lord, and they didn't have the courage to disappoint her.
>>
>>93024088

I'd take some more tasteful softcore nude pinups.

Maybe Robin beaming in nothing but her glasses and a MAGA hat while Leslie grudgingly checks her out?
>>
>>93025071
>>93025110
>>93025240
Mary was blackmailing the doctors into listening to her. They had once pulled out stitches a day too early, and she was threatening them into doing their job the way she wanted them to.
>>
>>93006634
I'm still not entirely sure how she died. I guess it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't call a successful suicide (or death by complications caused by the efforts) "attempted suicide." If she was successful, give Bonnie her props!

But Becky will probably never talk about it again anyway, so who cares.
>>
>>93016167
Not to mention his poking fun at same-face syndrome, when he himself doesn't vary his designs at all.
>>
>>93025071
>>93025110
>>93025240
>>93025303
Clearly Mary snuck into Dina's room and painted all her dinosaur figurines with carcinogenic paint, knowing that she would inevitably stick them in Becky's vagina.
>>
>>93025606
Yeah, I haven't a clue why Willis would say it's only an attempted suicide if it's much more strongly implied that the attempt was successful. There's no follow-up, save for a scene in a bonus strip where we straight up see Becky's mother's gravestone.
>>
>>93025606
She had cancer and was dying of it.

Something Joyce's dad said to her implied that it was suicide, but they told everyone it was the cancer that got her in the end. She still had cancer, but it's implied she killed herself.
>>
File: 1496777773453.jpg (20KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
1496777773453.jpg
20KB, 435x435px
>>92994703
Holy hell is this comic fucking garbage.
>>
File: 2016-08-06-indebted.png (370KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-06-indebted.png
370KB, 1000x333px
>>93025772
The attempt Becky was remembering was not the successful attempt. It happened more than once.

Re-reading this strip, I'm not sure she actually had cancer now. Huh.
>>
>>93025844
Maybe she killed herself after her cancer diagnosis? Hell if I know.

Watch it turn out that she renounced God at one point and Toedad shot her.
>>
>>93025844
This strip more implies that she succumbed to the drugs she took while in the hospital.

I get that she Becky in her house so she was remembering house memories, but stopping before the memory of her actual death is weird. It seems to me like it should've segued into her time in hospital and her final choice instead of stopping there and never coming up again. Which makes me think that it was her last time seeing her mom.
>>
>>93025844
>did no one ever tell you how her mom passed?
>i mean other than me of course. i'm just your dad, i assumed someone else would confide in you
What a shitty dad.

>>93026105
>It seems to me like it should've segued into her time in hospital and her final choice instead of stopping there and never coming up again.
It would have been pretty emotional if Becky went in to see Ruth all cheerful, but instead of seeing Ruth she saw outline-mom and had to leave the room instead.
>>
>>93023299
Hey nice to see that people are still posting my J&W Dump.
>>
>>93026283
No problem! I try to remember to post it once in a while since I maintain the Docs anyway.

>>93025885
>Maybe she killed herself after her cancer diagnosis? Hell if I know.
That was my original assumption.

>>93026105
>I get that she Becky in her house so she was remembering house memories, but stopping before the memory of her actual death is weird. It seems to me like it should've segued into her time in hospital and her final choice instead of stopping there and never coming up again. Which makes me think that it was her last time seeing her mom.
My original assumption was that it was the only time she saw an attempt while they were at home.

>>93026225
>It would have been pretty emotional if Becky went in to see Ruth all cheerful, but instead of seeing Ruth she saw outline-mom and had to leave the room instead.
I wish we could have seen that.
>>
File: 2016-08-14-deserves.png (373KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-14-deserves.png
373KB, 1000x333px
>>93026225
Becky knew. And she didn't tell Joyce. Wow.
>>
>>93026577
BFFs! Hiding attempted rapes and the true demise of their family members from each other!
>>
>>93026577
>I'm not even sure I WANT anythin' right now.
TOO BAD. YOU'RE GONNA GET EVERYTHING.
>>
>>93026577
I was going to ask when exactly would be a good time to inform your friend that your mother killed herself instead of the lie her parents told her and how to bring it up, but I remembered this is Becky so Willis would probably have her shout it out at an inappropriate time.
>>
>>93026577
Don't be too hard on yourself, Becky. You're incredibly self-centered, no one would ever expect you to pick up on someone else's feelings. Heck you've even managed to turn this "suicide attempt" (even less so because she's referring to Billie) into being about you. Just keep looking out for Beck.
>>
>>93027315
Becky generally doesn't have a reason to care that much. Her only relation to Billie is the room and she has to actively avoid Ruth. Her concern should be largely detached empathy. If anything she's being too hard on herself for not picking up on the psychological cues of someone she doesn't associate with at all.
>>
>>93027315
The upside is that she's only talking about it this way with Hank and not in front of the group. She's not trying to be self-centered. It just hit close to home.
>>
Someone post the strips that happened up until the stabbering.
>>
File: her.png (360KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
her.png
360KB, 1000x333px
>>93028343
Too busy to paste them into a single file rn, but I'll post the individual strips of the scene
>>
File: following.png (319KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
following.png
319KB, 1000x333px
>>93028529
>>
File: safe.png (390KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
safe.png
390KB, 1000x333px
>>93028555
>>
File: unfortunately.png (396KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
unfortunately.png
396KB, 1000x333px
>>93028579
>>
File: 1449341353577.jpg (1MB, 1196x1668px) Image search: [Google]
1449341353577.jpg
1MB, 1196x1668px
>>93028579
>I go by my middle name
And?
Was there more than one person with Ryan as part of their full name?
>>
File: everywhere.png (318KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
everywhere.png
318KB, 1000x333px
>>93028603
The next strip is already in the thread here >>92994703 and this is the bonus strip posted the next day
>>
File: 3.png (4KB, 304x356px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
4KB, 304x356px
>>93028636
>Need to get a grip
>>
File: 1455823781841.png (389KB, 916x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1455823781841.png
389KB, 916x1079px
>>
File: 1455342057108.png (150KB, 600x771px) Image search: [Google]
1455342057108.png
150KB, 600x771px
>>93030507
All praise to one of the last two villains standing.

I'd say she'd be safe from a stabbening or a wild ride, but Willis seems to think violence against women is A-OK as long as they're Christian or don't subscribe to your exact dogma.
>>
shit why do you guys keep a thread up at all times for a comic you hate? Why not just let it die and make a new one when it's out? Do you hate yourselves that much?
>>
>>93031298
I figure the only thing stopping Willis from having Ryan rape Mary is he'd get flak for punitive rape and making people feel sorry for Mary. Frankly I'm kinda surprised he didn't have Ryan wind up dating Mary.
>>
>>93031802
Oh, hey, it's this faggot. Our threads die all the time, shitlord. The last week has just been pretty eventful as far as this comic goes.

Why do you comment in a thread you don't care for instead of just hiding it? Do you hate yourself that much?
>>
>>93031819
>I'm kinda surprised he didn't have Ryan wind up dating Mary
Now that would have been interesting. I'd love some fanart of that couple. Not porn, just like a loving embrace pic.
>>
>>93032067
Under a better writer that could make for some powerful drama and tragedy, but there is no way that Willis would do anything to intentionally make Mary sympathetic.
>>
>>93026577
God, that last panel is so shitty
>>
>>93015917
Willis has some real arrogance to make this considering his own shit
>>
>>93032219
Y'know what I realized Willis could do?
He hates Mary because she reminds him of the kind of woman he desired when he was younger.
He hates Danny because he reminds him of the kind of person he saw himself as when he was younger.

Hook them up, Willis. You hate them both, so why not hook them up and never bring them up again?
>>
File: David.png (40KB, 185x189px) Image search: [Google]
David.png
40KB, 185x189px
>>93032710
>You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Willis has become what he once hated, and will probably continue long enough for that to turn on him again before he's done.
Thread posts: 275
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.