[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They tell you to reboot the X-Men. WYD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: uncanny-x-men-vol1-1.jpg (3MB, 1988x1527px) Image search: [Google]
uncanny-x-men-vol1-1.jpg
3MB, 1988x1527px
I'm talking AU here. You can do whatever you want. Change the origins, the ethnicities, the places, everything. You can do whatever the hell you want.
>>
>>92966818
What if Professor X...was genuinely a good guy?
>>
Make Iceman a villain. Ice themed villains and puns are neat
>>
>>92966818
Wolverine doesn't exist
>>
>>92966865
The death seed arc is the only time Iceman has mean even remotely interesting.
>>
>>92966818
They'd be in their own separate universe where the other Marvel heroes (barring Golden Age/WWII ones) didn't exist. Otherwise, I'd go similar to Ultimate X-Men with elements of Morrison's idea of "mutant culture/sociology" and Wolverine being closer to 616 Claremont-through-Hama-era.
Might not be perfect, but at the very least, mutant hatred would make more sense, Magneto would be less ambiguous, and there'd be less bloat for a while.
Say what you will of Ultimate Marvel, but it did actually streamline the X-Men considerably, and make it easier for new readers to jump in without having to backtrace plots across 20-odd years of 3-7 books.
>>
I don't focus on the old characters. Rather I focus on the X-Kids and, by some extent other Marvel kids becoming the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe. The old heroes are either dead, retired or play a minor part in the stories, kind of what Claremont did with the O5 before X-Factor.

The universe itself would be like Injustice in that it is not based on any particular time, rather it is just the future from an amalgamation of various eras and ideas from the Marvel timeline.

It would probably be something similar to this pic actually.
>>
>>92967234
Admittedly, I'd read that idea.
The mid-80s notion of the New Mutants, Power Pack, and the other kid heroes ending up being the "next gen" X-Men/Fantastic Four/etc. was a cool idea that just ended up editorially slaughtered.
Shame, too.
>>
>>92967593
Yeah, unfortunately. Admittedly this hypothetical series would focus on the 2000-10s kids, although the New Mutants would certainly play a role as well as Power Pack.
>>
>>92967647
And that's great. It'd be more focus than most of these kids received since the Messiah saga.

I'm in and out of modern X-books, so it's hard for me to say that authoritatively, but I don't remember seeing many recently past Rockslide and Anole.
>>
>>92967728
Yep. Unfortunately X-Men are not really focusing on them, focusing instead on a lot more 'boring' characters like the O5 and WATXM kids.

Hopefully, they'll get the New Mutants treatment and be used more frequently by future writers.
>>
I honestly don't know how I'd do it.
The franchise leaves a bad taste in my mouth and most of the time its a fuck-ton of characters with no real narrative drive. None of them have any kind of goal. It's a whole universe of pointless characters.

What would be the thrust?
>>
I don't have a full explaination of everything I'd do - but this would be a major plot point.
>After the first major saga/set of arcs where Magento is the main antagonist, he is captured and placed in a plastic prison and we don't see him for a while, a la Ultimate X-Men.
>Throughout the next major saga/arcs, small references to a metal-rich asteroid (named Asteroid M-61616) approaching near Earth's orbit; turns out it is actually going to impact Earth
> Mystique, disguised as a political/military/science leader propositions that the only solution is to use Magento's powers to redirect the asteroid
>Magneto agrees but only without any restrictions to his powers and he gets to walk free after
>World is freaking the fuck out over asteroid, Magneto being set free, mutant/human relations are at the boiling point
>Magento uses powers to slow Asteroid M's approach but instead of redirecting it, slowly places it in Indian Ocean, all on world-broadcast
>Cue the Brotherhood and a bunch of recruited mutants teleporting in to assist in reducing the environmental side-effects
>World is going apeshit because he was supposed to fling the asteroid into space; Sentinels sent as a knee jerk reaction
>Magneto rips them apart, uses metal to establish a temporary shanty-town, and declares the meteor-island a sovereign nation for mutantkind, invites all mutants to come and build utopia, calls it Genosha
>Implication that Magento pulled the Asteroid from deep space before his capture as a contingency plan to hold a gun to the world's head

tl;dr Magento keikaku's world into freeing him and giving him his own island, Genosha becomes a utopia and dealing with it's place in the world becomes the new theme moving forward
>>
>>92966818
The world's finally accepted Mutants, but the X-Men and the villainous Mutants are left without a purpose and wonder what's next with their lives. Which leads to a much more unpredictable landscape for their society.
>>
>>92966818
Would probably just remove anything and everyhing bendis, morrison and austen from continuity, not sure if much else.

>>92966837
Well and this. That reminds me anything brubaker would probably go, too.
>>
>>92966818
Jean Grey never got over being psychically connected the moment her friend died. Professor X tried to fix her by making her act like the typical teenage girl.
>>
Would like some feeback for my pitch ideas.

CELESTIAL HEAVY BACKGROUND

1. The Celestials and Eternals feature heavily, but other parts of the MU are absent. No Fantastic Four, no Avengers, no Spider-Man.

2. First issue shows the Celestials imprinting the X-gene on early humanity (Moon boy actually) and creating the Eternals to guard the Earth from threats so the X-gene can develop. The X-gene is the Celestial's experiment to see if they can create another of their race out of a lesser race. They don't procreate, and in their conflicts with one another members of their race sometimes die. The number of Celestials throughout the aeons has been steadily declining and mankind if their attempt to fix the problem.

3. Their goal is to create one Celestial at the end of mankind's evolution. In this universe the X-gene doesn't respond to radiation but to information. The Great Leap forward created Apocalypse who is older than mankind's earliest recorded mythology (and he claims he inspired the very concept of a god). The computer age has kicked the X-gene into overdrive.

4. Telepaths are "phase two" of the X-gene. They are beings that while anchored to a human shell are still beings of pure information. That's what Celestials are, disembodied intellects in metal bodies. Each telepath is like an axiom of a great Celestial mind. Shadow King is a progression of the telepath phenotype-he doesn't need a body to function unlike other telepaths. He's a micro-celestial.

5. The Phoenix is the new Celestial forming from the combined mentality of humanity. It's incredibly powerful, incredibly young, and incredibly confused by its existence. It is particularly close to telepaths and it looks toward them for guidance like a child to its parents.

6. In this Universe Onslaught is Xavier's mind inside a Celestial shell

7. The emergence of the Phoenix is the final arc of the story where different factions try to sway the new Celestial to their side.
>>
>>92971373
PRE-X HISTORY

1. Mutants have a hidden history in the world. No one knows how much of folklore and mythology is stories and how much is actual historical fact about mutants. Apocalypse was such a threat to the world that the mutants of his time had to sacrifice themselves to imprison him.

2. The Savage Land is a Celestial created preserve of X-gene free humanity. Just in case things went bad they could break the true baseline humans out of cold storage in the Arctic and try again.

3. Nova Roma was created when ancient Roman mutants voluntarily exiled themselves from the Republic fearing that coexistence among powerless humanity was impossible. Over time their lineage has become diluted through interbreeding with X-inactive natives and superhumans like Magama are rare in their society, but they still have enough mutants to be genuinely threatening to the modern world.

4. Humanity started to catch on to mutants in the 20th century, but mutants were still unknown to the general population before Xavier went public.

5. Magneto, Moira, and Xavier fought the Shadow King together in the 80's, chasing him around the world from host body to host body. Magneto is no longer a Holocaust survivor.

6. Magneto split with Charles over two things-the first is that Charles shared anti-telepath technology with the US government as a gesture of good faith. The second is that he revealed his and Magneto's existence to the world.

7. Magneto believes that if Charles didn't split with him and go loud they could have peacefully couped the governments of the world and preemptively stopped mutant/human tensions from forming.
>>
>>92971373
BRAVO anon, BRAVO! This is what I want from the X-Men. Pure Sci-Fi KINO. Transhumanism, Panetheism, Deism, all that jazz. That's what the X-Men should be!

B R A V O!

Got anymore?
>>
>>92971373
>>92971648
X-HISTORY

1. I never liked how cut and dry morality was in X-men. The X-men always got to feel smugly in the right while humanity were always dicks for wanting to invent mutant vaccines and wanting public records of mutant powers. The human responses to the X-men were always completely evil, corrupt, and leading to a robot apocalypse. So that changes. Xavier is not a dick. I always hated him written as a dick. But there are good characters that disagree with him and the methods he uses to bring about coexistence.

2. X-men is going to be about anxiety over the future and children. There's a lot of factions this time. Xavier does his usual thing, encouraging mutants to train to their fullest potential to protect themselves and others. But other factions see that as dangerous. It makes mutants look militant and paramilitary.

3. Moira leads a Excalibur-esque group from Muir island that focuses on integrating mutants with society and finding them jobs that utilize their powers to the benefit of society. Moira's students are not fighters nor do they know how to fight and she likes it that way.

4. X-factor is led by Xavier's first graduate class. Their MO in the comics was always really fucking weird (we'll ease race relations by pretending to be a group of mutant hunters that kidnap people of the streets in broad daylight!) and so its different here. They serve as a more militant incarnation of the X-men. The kids at Xavier's are students. X-factor are soldiers. They have mild ties to Xavier's and poor ties to Muir island.

5. The government X-factor/Freedom Force equivalent in this world works to ease relationships by making mutants of use to the government. Many mutants see them as sell-outs, especially when evidence is uncovered about weapon-X shit. But they are quick to point out that the government handlers they work directly under knew nothing about government experiments and that they're the only ones trying to change things from within.
>>
>>92971662
Ouch Anon. You could have just said I sucked.
>>
>>92972008
I was not kidding anon. Those are some legitimately great ideas.
>>
>>92967234
How can eyeboy be Cyclops if he has a hundred eyes? Why not Argos?
>>
>>92971982
THREE MORE FACTIONS

1. Emma Frost has her own school of Hellions that works to place mutants covertly in high levels of society both for their own gain and to covertly transform the world into a better place. Some see them as setting up a powder keg for when the normals find out about the giant global mutant conspiracy. Others see them a the last, best hope for peace. The Hellfire Club isn't pure evil in this setting. Rather they're more like the Illuminati but with mutants and according to them mutants under their banner have for centuries had a hand in deciding every major human conflict from the French Revolution to WW2...or so they claim.

2. The Brotherhood is all about playing strong arm politics with humans. Magneto doesn't believe for a second coexistence is at all possible. Someone has to be top dog, and its not going to be humans. He's seen too much evil to eve trust humans.

His Brotherhood creates ready-made island nations off the coast of countries. Avalanche raises the land. Pyro provides the industrial power. Destiny provides precognitive support. After building these islands they advertise to mutants from neighboring countries to come to a paradise where they are free to pursue their potential unfettered by the suspicions of humanity.

And then they dare humanity to do something about it. Needless to say Magneto's Genosha islands make a lot of countries uneasy. And its getting worse. He's slowly assembling the ultimate mutant island-a giant space station from which Magneto will have undisputed authority over Earth, able to rain down punishment like Zeus from Olympus on all who don't obey him.

What Magneto calls an "Invincible mutant refuge" others call a floating weapons platform. But Magneto doesn't care. He more than wants humanity to throw the first punch.
>>
>>92966818
Have them give up. Have them 100% decide that they're done being hated and feared by humanity, and have them all move to Mars. Have the mutants terraform it and call it Planet X. They give an open invitation to anyone who manifests an X gene to move to Planet X.

Make the X-books more about the internal politics of this new mutant society and their own internal struggles for power and crime. Because they move EVERYONE with an X-gene, good and bad.
>>
>>92972333
3. Sentinels

The group I'm most interested in revamping. Humanity is facing a crisis. Magneto is placing islands of superhumans off their coasts and converting their mutant populations to his side. If they could transform loyal humans into loyal mutant soldiers they would but they have no idea how the X-gene really works. And after Weapon-X was exposed and made public mutants have very little interest in volunteering to be soldiers.

If they want superhumans humanity will have to build them. Enter the sentinels, each a giant equipped with enough weapons systems to meet any sort of superhuman challenge, each equipped with an advance human-like AI to avoid corruption from Magneto and others (they can't be reprogrammed through mixed EMP signals or anything like that. They have to be reprogrammed like humans-by convincing them that they're doing wrong)

Precogs and time travelers claim they will one day destroy humans and mutants alike. The Sentinels don't understand this. But then again they don't understand a lot. They were created for a purpose and yet they feel very purposeless. Humans and mutants are part of a cosmic destiny. But they just...are. And this triggers in them a crisis of faith. What are they good for? What is their purpose? Are they simply meant to keep the peace between humans and mutants until they are no longer needed?
>>
>>92972664
In the series they are teased as a huge threat, something the mutant community has to stop or else they get BAD FUTURE. And it ends in X-factor and the Brotherhood jumping the gun and attacking them when they hear the Sentinels have stopped obeying their human operators...only to discover that the Sentinels don't want to fight anyone. And the mutants learn that even those that experience bigotry can be bigots.

For the rest of the series the Sentinels migrate to a giant Master Mold island where they serve as a wildcard faction. Master Mold strikes a strange friendship with The Phoenix. They are both new creations thrown into a world they do not understand.
>>
>>92972691
>>92972664

I want a big part of the series to be about picking sides. The mutant community will have several members that bounce from faction to faction. Wolfsbane isn't sure if she wants to stick with her foster mom's team or stick to Xaviers and that creates friction between herself and her BFF Dani who is hard core Xavier's and X-factor supporter. Beast is X-factor but he's trying to make headway working for the government and has ties to the Hellfire Club.

And...that's all I got for now. I'd appreciate any questions and comments about this...I guess we can't call it Earth-X, so Earth-X-Men Revival?
>>
File: shitposting.gif (242KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.gif
242KB, 600x490px
>>92966818
I'd ask to go work for DC.
>>
>>92966818

Focus on a smaller, manageable core cast, with no changing origins, ethnicities, sexualities, or anything else. Everyone is as they were when first created.

Drop the minority-metaphor identity politics aspect entirely.

Keep the heroes heroic and the villains villainous. Even if they have understandable motivations, Magneto, Mystique, etc, remain villains.

Or just give up and write about Black Bolt instead.
>>
>>92973518
>Even if they have understandable motivations, Magneto, Mystique, etc, remain villains.
This. Even if they've got "good" intentions, they work better as antagonists than protagonists.
>>
>>92966818
Probably update Magneto to some eastern European genocide.

Or hell in this day and age he'd prob be a muslim. Or maybe Asian....India were massive cunts to Muslim weren't they?

Or a black south african
>>
>>92971373
>CELESTIAL HEAVY BACKGROUND
Sorry man, lost me there.
>>
File: Celestial Diss.jpg (146KB, 600x921px) Image search: [Google]
Celestial Diss.jpg
146KB, 600x921px
>>92975241
>He hates Celestials
>>
>>92973518
>>92973587
I hate to admit it, but true. Magneto was always best "villain", and the hero and villain team-ups kinda lose weight when he just ends up hanging out at the heroes' place. Maybe just keep Magneto struggling wih Genosha? Killing off the island was pointless bullshit anyways.
>>
>>92975351
I don't know what you're implying, fleshling.

They're ok to use as villains (as long as they get what they deserve instead of showing up, being douches and never getting beaten), I just don't like having them involved in the mutant mythos or that stupid thing where super-beings just exist because of their meddling. They work in the context of Eternals or whatever, maybe some FF stories, but that's about it.
>>
>>92966818
I'd push the soap opera element even more.

INTRODUCING SCOTTAND EMMA SON! BUT WHY IS HE ATTRACTED TO TEEN JEAN?
>>
>>92971373
I also liked Earth X.
>>
>>92966818
>They tell you to reboot the X-Men.
I'd tell them that they are idiots and they should scrap that idea immediately.
>>
>>92967234
There are a lot of issues with that image, but I like the general idea of it.
>>
>>92975881
Well yeah. But I hope there's enough elements to distinguish it. Instead of using planets as eggs the Celestials can't reproduce and are trying to figure out how with humans. The Phoenix being a baby Celestial ties into the generational anxiety theme the X-men have always had, and theme is reinforced by the revamped Sentinel concept. It also explains the Savage Land as a backup set of "clean" humanity.
>>
>>92975530

Yeah, the whole idea of cosmic entities like the Celestials, or the Phoenix Force, caring that much about Earth-mutants is just annoying, it takes them from being just one of many offshoots of humanity, to being a super-important special group that space-gods "need" to exist, because reasons.

Earth-X should stay an AU, and neither the Celestials nor the Phoenix should be REEEEEEEEEEing at the notion of a world without mutants any more than they would at a world without Atlanteans or Deviants.
>>
>>92967234
I like it. Maybe Eyeboy got all of his eyes poked out except one
>>
>>92976277
>>92977833
Probably should have linked the artist rather than just the image as they explain the backstory behind each character and how they are at that point.
>>
>>92966837

Id make Xavier more like Patrick Stewart or like Richard Attenborough in jurassic park. He is a genuinely good guy who wants to help people, like a mr.rogers, but stuck in fights. Pushed a litlte hard and struggles to make descions that see anyone hurt, a pacifist.

The x-men, the danger room, fighting would all come about from the students and not professor X's need to cull an army.
>>
>>92966818
Go back to early mutancy being racism and adolescence.

Magneto is a terrorist and a bit of a lunatic. One that gained steam because of Genosha and the Nimrod project.

Professor Xavier created a small school to help young mutants learn to control and deal with their problems. Also to help deal with Magneto, "evil" mutants, and anti mutant groups.

We'll start the story with a young mutant by the name of Jean Grey. She'll have a friend by the name of Wanda who'se trying to get her to join her fathers group.
But she'll meet a young man known as Scott Cyclops who helps her out against a Nimrod suppression force.
We'll see the world of mutants through the eye and minds eye of this young powerful woman and we'll eventually see her join Xavier.

Also, the whole "Xavier is in fact an sociopathic god level psi who's in fact one of the most powerful supervillains the world will ever see but plays the kindly professor because he's seen every future where mutants exist and in every single one humanity and mutants destroy the other or both die."

Xavier let's magneto be the foil for his good professor and being the lightning rod for all of the evil terrorists and anti mutant sentiment while he is the good professor.

We are given hints at this but not directly shown. The new mutants and favorites are brought in one at a time and a few of them have their own group. I'm thinking Havoc leads the X-Factor. A government sanctioned X-men team that is backed by mutant researcher Moira Mactaggert.
>>
>>92966818
team operates like young justice in season 2. different groupings of mutants working with older faculty members on missions that benefit mutants or save the world yada yada
>>
>>92966818
Go back to focusing on the long game. Plan out a 3-4 year story and work within that. In that story focus on CHARACTERS first and foremost and story and plot second. Have the cast rotate so you can do character stories and then get rid of the character who you already told the story of.

The problem isn't that the X-men are in central park or anything like that. It's writers and that Marvel doesn't stick to long form story anymore, everything has to be clickbait and attention grabbing NOW and who cares about a build up. THat's the problem
>>
>>92980664
>It's writers and that Marvel doesn't stick to long form story anymore

Most books only last around a year before relaunching. The writers often change with each relaunch, while the artists change ever few issues.

Getting any kind of long-form storytelling done at modern Marvel is very difficult unless it's an editorially-mandated plot that will keep going regardless of writers changing.
>>
>>92971373
I would like some celestial and eternal work in X-men. But I don't like the rest of it. No need to reboot continuity completely. But if they do a book like that it should spin out of a FF story and something messes with Franklin as he is making this universe
>>
>>92975446
I like him as a hero too, just too much of that was done by bad writers on X-men Legacy
>>
>>92980768
that's what I mean, the problem is Marvel editorial mostly and writers second.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.