[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the boys worth reading unironically?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg (51KB, 300x465px) Image search: [Google]
The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg
51KB, 300x465px
Is the boys worth reading unironically?
>>
>>92942216
Yes
>>
>>92942216
Definitely.
>>
>>92942216
Why would you read something ironically?>>92942539
>>
Yeah. It does swing too hard on the edgy side of the pendulum to keep suspension of disbelief and a lot of Garth's dumbest opinions are on display, but the characters are pretty good.
>>
>>92942216
If you normally read capeshit, sure.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it to someone who doesn't read comics and wants a story that'll convince them that they can be as good as books, though.
>>
>>92942216
yes, it's really good though it does lull in a few places
>>
Anyone got a folder for this? Thanks
>>
i enjoyed reading it
>>
>>92942216
As long as you're up for Ennis'a take on capes, which is that every single one is a moron, a thug or a psychopath.
>>
Be prepared for a surprisingly touching story about masculinity and revenge
>>
>>92942618
Storytime of Pain?
>>
>>92942216
There is a lot of edgy shit, but underneath all that three is a pretty nice story, so i say is worth of reading.
>>
>>92942216
>called the boys
>one is a woman

What did he mean by this?
>>
HHEEEEHHHHNN
>>
>>92942691
While I agree you definitely have to be a fan of capes to really enjoy The Boys, this obsessive inferiority complex about stacking comics up to other forms of media needs to fucking go. The Boys isn't setting out to be War and Peace, but it's damn well better than many books published, especially if we compare it to other genre fiction. Stories stand on their own regardless of the way they're told, and there are some great stories told as comics.
>>
File: billybutchertheboys.jpg (21KB, 290x291px) Image search: [Google]
billybutchertheboys.jpg
21KB, 290x291px
>>92942216
I really enjoyed it, the characters are charismatic and the story traps you. The edgy parts are justified and they are played with black humor in them for the most part. It will also hit you right in the feels.
Ennis does a great job portraying lovable assholes, Billy Butcher is as great as Cassidy was in Preacher.
>>
>>92942216
the entire thing with starlight was a bit sour
>>
>>92948485
Comics=/=capeshit.
>>
Read Marshall Law and Stormwatch Team Achilles instead.

Marshall Law is super-hero satire with an a hero hunter who was part of a super-soldier program that left him unable to feel pain and pretty much pissed off at how normal super-heroes fueled people like him to throw away their lives and sanity to play soldier super-heroes

Team Achilles meanwhile is what The Boys should have been: soldier who got crippled by super-heroes hunting heroes for the government in the age of the Authority doing whatever the fuck they feel like, but who actually becomes a better person and changes from his earlier bitter self to become a nicer person once he befriends people in the community and realizing that not all heroes are monsters
>>
>>92949922
>what The Boys should have been
Oh fuck off, Butcher's character is great. He was always a bit of a sadistic asshole in part due to his upbringing, his wife kept his darker impulses in check but when the supers took her from him they pretty much consumed him. I like redemption arcs as much as the next guy, but Butcher doesn't really need one.
>>
>>92942216
If you've already read Hitman and Preacher, yes. It isn't as good as either of them, be it in the high points versus the low points or as a whole, but it's still worth a read. The lows are fucking dreadful though.
>>
>>92942216
It gets edgy at times like most Ennis comics, but it's actually a pretty engaging and touching story.
>>
>>92942216
No
>>
>>92942216
Nah
>>
>>92942216
While it does have some solid moments, the low points are so low that they genuinely ruined the rest of the series for me. I'm saying this as a fan of Ennis

I think Brat Pack or even The Maximortal by Veitch do a better job of the deconstructing of the superhero genre.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.