[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Disappointment.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 16

File: file.png (1MB, 905x1448px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 905x1448px
Disappointment.
>>
>>92942172
Monkey's paw, anon.
>>
>>92942172
>>92942248
Except it was great.
>>
>>92942172
I disagree
>>
>>92942172
It was a disappointment for me, but not for any of the reasons I expected.
I enjoyed the first few episodes and the ending, at least.
>>
File: Not.png (161KB, 636x359px) Image search: [Google]
Not.png
161KB, 636x359px
>Ok let's make this season mature with adult themes

NOT
>>
File: NOT.png (175KB, 636x359px) Image search: [Google]
NOT.png
175KB, 636x359px
>>92943355
>>
>>92943699
impressive
>>
>>92942282
>ten episodes
>literally spends a whole episode shipping just to take it away at the last moment
>great
>>
>>92942172
For you. I thought it was great.
>>
>>92942172
The ending was the only bad part about it.

They should have just made it an hour long TV movie. It ends how it began, basically. I'm actually surprised they didn't do that. The last episode felt like it had a lot more behind it than they had time to show in 20 minutes. A better ending would have made it a 8/10 instead of 5/10, easily.
>>
>>92944487
The ending was its only saving grace. The only bad parts about it were the "EYE LOVE YOO" cliche and how that the girl disappeared at a wedding instead of disappearing immediately after Jack killed Aku. Everything else was great.
>>
>>92942172
>>92942172
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NNOOONNNOOO.

I thought the age of shit was ending. Why, why did they had to take Jack too.

DO WE REALLY NEED TO WAIT OUT THE FULL 10 YEARS? All the way into 2020 JUST SO WE CAN FINALLY GET BACK TO NORMAL?

HOW MANY INNOCENTS WILL YOU TAKE BEFORE YOU'RE SATISFIED 2010?
>>
It was good till the ending, which was a goddamn mess.
>>
>>92945520
just 3 more years buddy
>>
File: 1495705954710.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1495705954710.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>92942172
>>
>>92945609
But Aku getting punched in the face was the best part in the entire 5 season run of the show.
>>
>>92945886
A single scene dont fix the whole mess it was.
>>
File: KingJack.jpg (94KB, 1189x890px) Image search: [Google]
KingJack.jpg
94KB, 1189x890px
Daily reminder that season 5 is to be dismissed as if it never happened. Pic related.
>>
>>92945921
I know, but it was worth it.
>>
>>92944487
>The ending was the only bad part about it.
That's not saying much.

Episode 1-3 are amazing, and 4-9 are average. That's arguably worse. They're just average Samurai Jack episode, you'd think that after more than a decade Genndy would've come up with more than three episode's worth of stuff that are actually worth remembering. I seriously doubt anyone will ever argue that anything in episode 4 to 9 is better than the "must watch" episodes from season 1-4.

The fact that the ending is shit is just the layer of vomit on top of the shit cake.
>>
>>92945886
It also made no damn sense.

Did you realise that ay no point in the season do Jack and Aku actually fight each others when they're both at their full power? Even when Jack free himself and Ashi, they almost immediatly go back to the past, to a version of Aku that was severely weakened by past Jack a moment ago.
>>
>>92942172
Now you know how your parents feel about you, OP.
>>
File: aaaaak1.png (170KB, 476x354px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaak1.png
170KB, 476x354px
The show bit off more than it could chew and it got sidetracked as a result. Allow me to explain.

Samurai Jack has always been about style and art first, plot and reason later. It was a love letter to the things Genndy grew up with. The show preferred traditional storytelling as a means to an end. That's why it's episodic nature worked. But even so, the show had a structure throughout it's seasons, and at first S5 stuck to it. The problems arrived when it started to deviate from it as a result of rushed pacing and devoting screentime to an additional character.

Here's how the structure in the seasons of Samurai Jack goes.
Episode 1: Introduce/re-introduce Jack and the world he lives in. Show Jack go through some kind of transformation to face his opponent. S1 is his growth, S2 he learns to jump good, S3 is Chicken Jack, S4 he becomes a ninja). S5 followed this by introducing Jack already in transformation, both physical via his armor (which Genndy said was supposed to make him similar to Aku) and emotional.
Episode 2: Focus is on Jack being taken off guard by the strange alien future he lives in, and the episode is about him trying to face a more modern element than he (and we) are used to (S1 is when he arrives, S2 is the Jack Tales episode, S3 has the rave and S4 is the mecha episode). S5 stuck to this by having Jack run from the Daughters and reach his lowest point.
Episode 3: After the previous episode, Jack mans up and undertakes a huge struggle, usually against multiple enemies. S1 is him vs the beetle army, S2 is him in the gladiator dome (S3 and S4 avoid this). S5, again, follows this formula by showing Jack steeling up to fight the Daughters strategically.

So up until this point, S5 had been perfect at sticking to the Samurai Jack season structure while improving on it.
Keep in mind that the first three episodes of S5, like the first 3 of S1, debuted as a movie, which shows this was intentional.

The problem is what comes after.
>>
>>92942172
Thanks for saying something that's already been said
>>
>>92942172
That's what yo momma said!
>>
>>92942172

Best part of the show are two first episodes that are simply mature versions of the first four seasons.

What Genndy did in Episodes 3-10 was completely abandoning spirit of Samurai Jack, which was visual storytelling and Jack adventures in different places.

Whole point of the series was that Jack was meeting different people in the future, was helping them and in exchange he always gained something, be it friends, knowledge or the reminder that he will probably stay in the future forever and that he can't go back.

In first 2 Episodes we see the same themes but matured, made for the audience that also has grown up. Jack is a tired person considering suicide. He can't go back home and is tormented by guilt that he never came back and let his people suffer. We have beautiful landscapes and visual elements of the show. No one says almost anything during the episode, until Scaramouche appears - probably best thing of this season and the only thing that stayed high quality right to the very end.

Whole second episode was a build up for Jack finally killing a person. First he is thinking that Aku just send another machines to fight him, however it all crumbles the moment he slices the girl's throat. It becomes a big deal and makes him even more depressed.

And this is where - half way through episode 3 - things start to go downhill. We get one flashback of Jack's father killing people in self defense (which was a great scene, don't get me wrong) and suddenly killing is ok. Jack goes on slaughter and easily kills all of the daughters, OBVIOUSLY leaving the only named one alive that managed to ruin the show.

The moment he recovered his sword the show was dead. Gods turned Jack back to who he was in previous season making ALL development during first two episodes completely meaningless proving that selling the show as "matured" was an utter lie and disgusting cashgrab.

Fuck Genndy and Adult Swim for this shit. Now i'm afraid what will they do with new FLCL.
>>
>When you see something samurai jack related and you catch yourself thinking "wouldn't it be cool if they continued it" without thinking
>>
>>92943855
t. Daughterfag
>>
>>92946241
3 and 4 still were great. Just because it had more dialogue it wasnt necessarely bad. Epi 4 specially was just one amazing trip inside that crazy monster.
>>
File: jack rating.jpg (187KB, 973x794px) Image search: [Google]
jack rating.jpg
187KB, 973x794px
Whole season was like a downhill skiing
>>
File: aaaaak3.png (157KB, 478x350px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaak3.png
157KB, 478x350px
>>92946222
Episode 4: After the emotional and action turmoil of the previous episode, the show slows down and takes us into a lighter struggle. S1 was the Woolies and S2 was the 2nd encounter with the Scotsman. S3 and S4 actually avoid this because of Jack and the Zombies and The Aku Infection. But again, S5 has more in common with seasons 1 and 2.

Episode 5: By this point the show begins to introduce secondary characters to focus on briefly, although the focus is very much on Jack (S4 was the Bounty Hunters and S1 had the astronauts). In addition, Episode 5 also has Jack take on a challenge that requires him to adapt to future circumstances (S1 was him in space, S2 was the Ultra-Robots and S3 had the Minions of Set). In S5, the 5th episode arguably follows true to both things, but the problem is, because of Ashi and the poor pacing, it can't exactly deliver on either of them. This is where S5 truly begins to falter.

Episode 6: This episode is particularly character-driven, focusing on either developing Jack's feelings and goals (S1 was him and Ikra, S2 he remembers the past) or emphasizing a secondary character (S3 had the Guardian and S4 was another Scotsman episode). Judging by this, Episode 6 actually did what it was supposed to do well. It focused on Ashi and the supporting cast and developed them as an extension of Jack's character.

By this point, the show has faltered a bit from the initial rush, but it's to expected. It's still going well. It's still sticking to the structure while adding new things.
The problem is what comes after Episode 7
>>
File: aku.png (267KB, 638x474px) Image search: [Google]
aku.png
267KB, 638x474px
>>92946540

Episode 7: This is where the show goes back to focus on Jack and his life as a warrior by pitting him in a confrontation that requires him to overcome his limitations. S1 is the Blind Archers, S2 is him climbing the mountain (again, S3 and S4 don't necessarily apply). Episode 7 of S5 follows this by having Jack finally overcome Inner Jack and get his sword back. But, again, the focus is not entirely where it should be because Ashi is there, and the problem is that the show has to devote attention to TWO characters instead of just one.

Episode 8: This is the point where this structure I've been talking about subsides, since Episode 8 has no recurring patterns in the early seasons because it's another lighthearted episode that comes before the show prepares itself for it's "finale". S2 was the Farting Dragon, S3 was the Swamp Wizard. But again, there is no structure here; Episode 8 of Season 5 was mostly an excuse for Jack and Ashi to get together, and while one could argue that a lighthearted episode was necessary before the finale (especially since Jack and Ashi had to finally end up together), one could also argue that there was no need for such an episode in the first place since this was the final season and they had a lot to cover.

Episode 9: This is the point where I am forced to split things because of how most SJ seasons have 13 episodes, and S5 had 10. Thus, things go differently. Ideally speaking, Episode 9 of S5 had the right idea, being a prelude to a more climatic showdown. Thanks to continuity, this is the only example of such a thing happening in the show. But this is also the episode where most of people's fears regarding Ashi taking up screentime and the show's breakneck pacing could affect the finale.

And thus, Episode 10, the finale
>>
>>92946224
You too
>>
File: evil.png (492KB, 636x472px) Image search: [Google]
evil.png
492KB, 636x472px
>>92946760
The past seasons of Samurai Jack had certain finales that weren't necessarily tied to a greater story but did exist to wrap up the season in a grander climax than the ones presented in the past episodes. And most of them happen on Episode 12.

Episode 12: In S1, it was Jack and the Gangsters, consisting of Jack taking on the elemental gods and coming close to finally taking on Aku himself. In S2, it was Jack and the Spartans, probably the show's biggest battle in terms of numbers up until S5 happened (and an Emmy winning episode). In S3, it was the finale of Birth Of Evil. Season 4 averts this because Jack vs Aku takes place in Episode 9, but it still applies as a "finale" of sorts. Ideally, the finale of S5 should take place in Episode 12.

But instead, it took place in Episode 10, and most of the show's pacing problems affected it as a result. Ideally, the show should have wrapped up in a three-parter like it began, and it could have used it's time a lot better by, for example, removing the "15 years have passed" intro, shortening the sequence of people going over to see Aku's broadcast, not wasted half a minute on pointless shit like the Scotsman naming his daughters or Aku choosing what to kill Jack with, and so on.

TL;DR: The biggest problem with S5 is that it was extremely rushed and the sequence of events that comprise it, albeit fine, were poorly planned across the episodes. Ideally, the show should have stuck to it's classic structure (which is what it was doing at first) in order to plan out this story across 12 episodes. Season 5 should have had 12 episodes (or maybe even a movie). If this was the case, I doubt many people would complain.

I still liked Season 5, but I write this just to explain why I think it went wrong for so many people and why I think it just fell short of true greatness.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>92946309
Yes, Anon, a Daughterfag would definitely be angry that the ship didn't pan out in the end.
>>
>>92942172
It was fine until the ending
>>
>>92946091
Fucking so?
Jack's beaten Aku multiple times, beating him at his full power again proves literally nothing.
Killing him while in the past? That's important.
>>
>>92946091
I dont think it is that egregious. The robot wasnt hurting aku, just annoying and moving him around.
>>
>>92946241
>Now i'm afraid what will they do with new FLCL.
>Now

There was never any hope to be had. AS will kill FLCL.
>>
>>92942172
>Jack finally goes back to the past and defeats aku after decades, having saved literally billions of people, after constant struggle
>doesn't even acknowledge it his lifes mission is over, too preoccupied by vagina (either marrying it or it disappearing BTTF-style)

defend this. I actually thought ashi and the season in general were good but this is a total anticlimax wet fart of nothing.
>>
>>92946241
>>92947491
I'm extremely vaugely optimistic about FLCL2 because it's not the conclusion to a big cliffhanger but more of a weird sequel.

Diebuster was pretty cool and was basically the same idea, so who knows.
>>
>>92942172
Definitely. I don't have anything to look forward to on Saturday nights anymore.
>>
>>92942172
They should have kept the tone of the first three episodes for the whole season.
They probably fired the guy who did them.
Or they started the series for cartoon network and then they switched to AS and they decided to remake the first 3 episodes to bait people.
>>
>>92942172
Ashi was a mistake.
>>
File: done to death.jpg (39KB, 323x475px) Image search: [Google]
done to death.jpg
39KB, 323x475px
Fuck off
>>
nuff said. We have people who either hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evaR8L8e1-U

and people who love it passionately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF9bUjffpZ0

Seriously, are there people in between?
>>
>>92946980
All they needed was an hour for the last episode. I was shocked that it wasn't an hour. There's too much that has to be dealt with before we get to jack's ending there. The audience was emotionally invested in the fight against Aku in the future. Then Jack is whisked to the past and we aren't given any emotional resolution to that plot. He kills Aku. then he's getting married. then Ashii is gone and it's over.

Each of these moment requires some time to let sink in. Now if he stayed in the future and let the past be the past, then you could do it in 22 minutes. But going to the past and UNDOING THE FUTURE THAT IS AKI has too many implications for a 22 minute show.

>>92950856
I am ambivalent. Like the concept.
>>
>>92950856
I disliked the ending but the video criticizing it just feels smug and superficial. Most of his points are valid, i just dislike how he delivered his critique.
>>
>>92942172
It tried too hard to be cool and edgy. The Aku daughters really didn't add anything good other than some unsympathetic meat bags that Jack could carve up and have the unwashed masses in the Samurai Jack sticky scream "WOW THERE IS BLOOD AND DEATH NOW AND AGAINST WIMMEN NO LESS!!". Then for some reason they decided to abandon the adult theme all together and return to fighting monsters and robots, save for an awkwardly placed weewee joke and Austin Powers censored nudity.

Gennedy was clearly out of his comfort zone making an adult themed cartoon, and reverted back to his original status halfway through the season. Ashi's mother was killed off with little fanfare, the Guardian off screen, resolving these plots in unenthusiastic fashion. The ghost on the horse just ended up being that, a fat fucking ghost on a horse. Scaramouche was a weird issue, it's as if they knew he'd get popular with fans and brought him back, but the way the series is produced they'd have had to actually predict that would happen as they were making it, which felt a little pretentious.

Also, Tara Strong did a mostly terrible job voicing Ashi at first, she got better as Ashi had to display less and less rage, but it still felt halfassed and she was outclassed by her compatriot Grey Delisle in every step of the dance.

Some things just ended up being resolved poorly if at all. What happened to the rest of the Aku worshiping cult? What about that mysterious figure that told Ashi where Jack was? What happened to the baby? Even the Scotsman was a halfhearted cameo and his whole "let's gather an army" thing was preempted by Aku broadcasting he had Jack and getting everyone to rally against him anyway.

You can point fingers at Adult Swim, the shortened season, whatever, but the blame lies at Gendry's feet. An experience and highly regarded cartoonist like him should've and could've made lemonade out of lemons, but instead he made cat piss.
>>
File: SamuraiJackAdultSwimUK.png (394KB, 960x518px) Image search: [Google]
SamuraiJackAdultSwimUK.png
394KB, 960x518px
>>92942172
Ashi was a mistake. The first three episodes showed promise. Then Genndy had to shoehorn a companion/love interest in the last 7 fucking episodes of the entire story, completely ruining the pace and tone of the season. All of Jacks personal personal development built up in the first few episodes was reduced to a forced awkward romance.
>>
>>92953404
The daughters of Aku were a really great idea that was handled exceptionally well. At the start.

Having the daughters stand in Jack's way to finishing his quest was a way to raise the stakes. It could have been a perfect way to meet the mature expectations of a now adult fanbase. With a few rare exceptions, Jack was pretty much unstoppable in combat against robots and aliens and spirits. But when he has to face a fellow human, his own moral views as a noble and truly just Samurai and the entire point to his character are challenged, and in the end, he would have had to sacrifice some part of himself to fulfill his purpose in life.

If that were the main focus of the entire 10-episode season, if the theme of the show stayed consistent with the message it was trying to send, it could have been a slam dunk.

But I feel that he focused on too much, and in effect there was nothing in focus at all. Everything just kind of splattered together haphazardly in an arbitrary need to address every single thing. The three Gods, the Scotsman, the Guardian, some awkward shoehorned romance with a Mary Sue, all of the past people he's saved, etc. etc. etc.

Which I don't mind! But when you're only given 10 episodes to work with to finish off a massive epic saga, you better know what you're doing and pace accordingly, or it can (and did) end up feeling rushed.

So in the end, we got a series that, instead of having a tight focus and a few questions answered very well, we got a broad, shallow focus on everything and were given mediocre, rushed explanations.

With all due respect to Genndy, he's done some remarkable work, a romance is not at all fitting in Samurai Jack. I guess he just loves pale girls with short black hair too much and it leaked into this show.
>>
>>92953920
Yup. Pretty much this.
>>
>>92942172
Really, if you didn't see it coming by episode 6... well, you've learned a lesson.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.