[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting Started in Comic Book Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: comic.png (288KB, 590x321px) Image search: [Google]
comic.png
288KB, 590x321px
So I saw Amazon is having a fuckhuge Marvel Comic sale, and while I probably won't buy anything, it reminded me I really wanted to start reading comic books and never got around to it.

I am pretty unsure what I am interested in. Should I just pick a hero and start back at their origin and work from there.

If it helps I am more interested in Marvel than DC.
>>
>>92938735
1. Are you only interested in Marvel and DC?

2. Are you only interested in current comics? Because Marvel is unreadable right now.

3. Are you only interested in superheroes?

4. Manga is better, I'm not kidding.
>>
>>92938853
>1. Are you only interested in Marvel and DC?
Yes
>2. Are you only interested in current comics?
No, actually I would prefer older stuff.
>3. Are you only interested in superheroes?
Yes
>4. Manga is better, I'm not kidding.
>Reading Anime
>>
>>92938735
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/post/18865607172/marvel-comic-recommendations use this or the wiki
>>
>>92938889
Here's some cool shit to read:

>MARVEL
Marvels (miniseries by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross, excellent introduction to the Marvel Universe)
Spider-Man up through the late 80s (it gets pretty shit in the 90s, but the first quarter century or so of Spider-Man is surprisingly solid)
Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher (if you like this then also try out the early stuff from the mid-80s to the mid-90s)
ALL of Frank Miller's work on Daredevil (these are legit probably THE best comics Marvel ever published)
Peter David's run on Hulk
Greg Pak's run on Hulk (or at the very least the Planet Hulk story arc)
Foolkiller (the Steve Gerber miniseries ONLY)
Nextwave
Doug Moench's Moon Knight
Warren Ellis' Moon Knight
Chris Claremont's X-Men
Chris Claremont's Wolverine miniseries
Weapon X (the miniseries by Barry Windsor-Smith)
Sensational She-Hulk (the old one written by John Byrne and Steve Gerber and others)
Walt Simonson's Thor
Spider-Man Blue
Daredevil Yellow
Hulk Gray
Hulk and The Thing - The Big Change
Archie Meets The Punisher
U.S. 1 (this is about a trucker with a cybernetic skull who fights nazis with blimps filled with live chickens, aliens that speak in trucker slang, evil female bikers with hypno-whips, and bar fights -- if that sounds "so retarded that it's brilliant" then you might enjoy it)
Steve Gerber's Man-Thing (kind of dated, but pretty amazing)
Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck (utterly batshit 70s satire)
Silver Surfer Requiem (possibly /co/'s favorite superhero comic)
Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom - Triumph and Torment
IF you're interested in Fantastic Four then check out the runs by Lee/Kirby, John Byrne, Walt Simonson, and if you want a more modern version then maybe Mark Waid and/or Jonathan Hickman

DC RECS IN THE NEXT POST
>>
>>92938967
OP, ignore this faggot.
>>
>>92938735
>Marvel
Anything published before 1990. It's where the masterworks are.
>>
>>92938735
The method I started with was picking a character I was interested in and essentially reading their "greatest hits" in chronological order. Along the way I paid attention to which writers I preferred and then just read more of their stuff
>>
File: 1444936247163.gif (2MB, 357x238px) Image search: [Google]
1444936247163.gif
2MB, 357x238px
>>92938889
>3. Are you only interested in superheroes?
>Yes
>>
Always Spider-man
>>
>>92938735
>go look
>not available in Canada
>Find something anyway
>no paypal

fuck Amazon
>>
>>92939277
FORGOT ONE FOR MARVEL:
Grant Morrison's New X-Men

>DC
Geoff Johns' Action Comics
Secret Origin (the Superman miniseries)
Kurt Busiek's Superman
Superman Adventures
John Byrne's Superman
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
For the Man Who Has Everything
Superman For All Seasons
All Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Amanda Conner's Power Girl
Batman Year One (start here if you want to read Batman)
Batman Adventures volume 1 (including Mad Love)
Grant Morrison's Batman
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Catwoman - When in Rome
The Killing Joke
The Dark Knight Returns
JLA #1-90 + the Earth-2 one-shot + JLA Year One + A Midsummer's Nightmare + whatever the one-shot by Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch was called (this covers the Morrison/Waid/Kelly era of JLA from the late 90s through the mid-2000s, which was by far the pinnacle of the team)
Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League (a different version of the team, sometimes referred to as "JLI" for "Justice League International, more of a comedy book, hilarious with 10/10 art)
Mark Waid's Flash through Geoff Johns' Flash (just start at the beginning of the Waid run and keep going until that volume ends)
John Ostrander's Martian Manhunter
Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
Geoff Johns' JSA
John Ostrander's Suicide Squad (NOTHING like the movie, a masterpiece of the genre)
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Wolfman/Perez's Teen Titans (dated, but still the best run on the characters)
Levitz/Giffen's Legion of Super-Heroes (also dated, but almost definitely the best run on the characters)
Paul Dini's Zatanna

>some runs I don't necessarily recommend, but if you want to get into these characters then these are the best place to look
Sandman Mystery Theater
Madame Xanadu (Vertigo version)

There's other stuff worth reading, but you can ask if you're looking for more.
>>
>>92939393
This is an OLD /co/ meme. Ignore it.
>>
>>92939277
>ANOTHER MARVEL THING I FORGOT

Fury MAX - My War Gone By
>>
Thanks for everything. Last question:

What is your preferred program to read on your Desktop
>>
>>92939277
The Claremont/David/Hama stories of the Wolverine ongoing are good, as well. If you like the previous Wolverine/Claremont X-Men stuff, you'd likely enjoy most of the Wolverine ongoing.
>>
>>92938735
>Should I just pick a hero and start back at their origin and work from there.
>If it helps I am more interested in Marvel than DC.
This is a good idea if you're into Marvel since most most of the characters were at their best in the beginning and slowly got worse, the only Marvel character who got better is Daredevil
>>
The recent Omega the Unknown series.
>>
>>92939938
Paperback :^)
>>
>>92940149
True. Even though I like Silver Age DD, I can agree that his stories got better in the Miller/Nocenti days. Hell, aside from 1994-1996 being very bland, most Daredevil is quite good.
>>
>>92939938
Honeyview
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.