[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"An ending shrouded in controversy and creates new questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: genndy_tartakovsky.jpg (103KB, 660x459px) Image search: [Google]
genndy_tartakovsky.jpg
103KB, 660x459px
>"An ending shrouded in controversy and creates new questions is better than an ending that closes everything and then gets forgotten in time"
>>
Artificial questions and controvery for the sake of controvery is bad
>>
Nostalgia is the last refuge of a scoundrel
>>
>>92877171
No, not really since it's not an ending
>>
I prefer the ending being how it was. Nice and open, like Ashi's legs for the Samurai
>>
>>92877171
False. A good ensign done well is better than vague shit any day. The (good) ending to the First Bioshock still holds a place in my heart, while i found myself underwhelmed by the open ended ness of the endings of 2 and infinite.
>>
>>92878149
But Bioshock 1's ending was hamfisted binary garbage while 2's was actually built around your actions in game.

It always blows my mind when people claim any aspect of BS1 is better than BS2. It's such a load of BS___
>>
>>92877271
Well, not anymore what with the whole never existing thing.
>>
>>92877171
It was shit and you should get over your ego you hack
>>
>>92877171
Fucking sauce on this quote before you shitpost.
>>
>>92877171
Fuck off kike
>>
>>92877171
Americans just can't write endings. Their main industries of writing are TV, and comics. And within that industry, 99% of the work is franchise. That means that an author gets to write an issue or episode, get to play with the characters, and then has to hand them over to the next writer with little to no change. So writerrs are trained to continue the story. Compare that to other avenues of writing, cultural or otherwise, and you will see that creators are expected to deliver an entire experience, with a beginning, a middle and an end.
>>
>>92877171
Well at least it didn't end like The Sopranos where it just cut to black in mid sente-
>>
>>92878464
No you
>>
>>92877171
Basically, an "End of Evagelion" ending that forces people to discuss the show YEARS after its release?

I liked the ending. Futurecuck tears are delicious.
>>
>>92878708
>Their main industries of writing are TV, and comics.
Have you checked the numbers on that, I dunno, this decade?
>>
>>92880110
Thats a good comparison actually
>>
>>92880110
End of EVA is pretty self-explanatory, though.

Watching anime doesn't make you a loser, but you are going to stay one if you just keep watching it
>>
>>92877171
I doubt he said that, but at the same time it seems like something he'd say because he's a fucking hack who ruined my favorite cartoon
>>
>>92877171
>leaving an ending so open that it basically allows for any autist to "contribute" his own "interpretation"
>so vague that it leads to "my headcanon is better than yours" fights
>people will reject it, take of it what they want to and adding what fits their own desires, or will simply accept it, seeing what they want to see in it, and move on
>people will remember this
>>
>>92877171
No, the best endings are ones that close the journey of the entire series but open up a potential chapter for the epilogue of, "Where are they now?".

WALL-E, who showed the Earth recovering in the credits.
Harry Potter, all their kids go to Hogwarts. What will their adventures be like?
Toy Story 3, the toys are now with Bonnie to have new adventures as well.
Breaking Bad, Walter dies but Jesse and Walter's family gets away. What will happen to them now?
>>
>>92878149
2 wasnt open ended. Sure, there were like, 4 slighly different endings, but all based on the same idea: delta dies, eleanor lives on with his "lessons"
I cant possibly defend infinite though.
>>
>>92880110
EoE is pretty easy to get. What people discuss is nearly everything else of the series, given how well crafted it was.
And character relationshis.
>>
>>92878204
>Someone besides me liked Bioshock 2 more than Bioshock one

Brother!

>>92878708
You know you can bother going to a book store every once in a while. You'll find a lot of American writers that'll surprise you.

>>92878453
I doubt there's any sauce.

>>92877171
It's less ambiguous and more incomplete and rushed. It felt inconclusive rather than satisfying.

The comic had a better ending. But even if you wanted to do a "fuck the future retcon it all" ending there were better ways of doing it than what Genndy did.
>>
File: 1494375720221.png (293KB, 585x627px) Image search: [Google]
1494375720221.png
293KB, 585x627px
>>92877271
Lewd!
>>
>>92883683
It's easy to get it's just unsatisfying. Everyone gets turned into giant Rei's menstrual fluid except Shinji and Asuka. The end.
>>
>>92880110
The problem is that interest in Eva has never been about the story. It's been about the weird violence, weird sexuality, and weird monsters. If all you need to be talked about by austists for years and years was a weird ending autists would be talking about David Lynch films.
>>
>>92883537
I remember my Shakespeare professor told me that part of the reason Shakespeare's plays are so popular is that many of them end like this "with an element of prophecy" as he put it.
>>
>>92883802
But everyone (or at least enough people) will eventually return and shinji promised to try to kick off his crippling depression and break his cycle of selfharm. Same thing is implied to asuka.

About as happy ending as the series could go.
>>
>>92883460
The problem with the ending is that it isn't open. Ashi's final line was a genuine tipoff that all of the future folks are gone. What would've been vague is if she disappeared without any final words, leading the viewer to question whether her disappearance was due to poorly applied pime taradox or Aku's essence gradually waning from the world.
>>
>>92884023
>Everyone will "eventually return"
Never explicitly said to happen and we never get to see it. It's why its unsatisfying.

>>92884026
This. This is what bugs a lot of people. We want to see how the future ended up without Aku. What changed, what was left the same, etc.

Genndy could have easily used the guardian as a plot device to have an older Jack use it to look at what the future he saved was like but he probably forgot that the Guardian is supposed to be aeons old.
>>
>>92884136
>We want to see how the future ended up without Aku
He didn't even have to do it. All he had to do is not make Ashi utter that stupid line. People can still wonder about the future if there's ambiguity present.
>>
>>92884023
>Shinji promised to try and kick off his cycle of depression and self-harm

The boy is so mind broken by the end that his first thought on seeing Asuka is to try choking her to death. Does that look like its promising a positive ending? Maybe the giant decapitated head and the ocean of alien menstral blood that was once mankind. Did that look to be promising good things to you?

Earth is reduced to a used tampon and all the struggles and sacrifices the characters have made fighting to save humanity were in vain. That's how Eva ends unless you want to try and crowbar Rebuild as a kind of sequel.
>>
>>92884136
I think Genndy just didn't like the guardian episode and wanted it forgotten
>>
>>92884335
The problem with going back to a work several years down the rode is that you don't have the same headspace you had when you made the work. You aren't the same person.

Genndy had a story he wanted to tell, but I don't think he realized that it wasn't a Samurai Jack story.

He misread what his audience wanted horribly.
>>
>>92883802
>>92884023
I thought they didn't get turned because those two were the ones with the most crippling self-esteem/identity issues. They couldn't turn into mind soup with everyone else because they're just that fucking bad at emotional intimacy
>>
>>92878453
Wouldn't count as shitposting otherwise, anon.
>>
>>92878708
>Americans just can't write endings
Like how the Nips love to write open-ending conclusions too your favourite anime?
>>
>>92884383
I thought it was because they were inside their womb-robots when the ghost Reis were popping everyone's ego-barriers.

Them being sparred because their autism spared them is retarded. Where are all the other fucked up autistic people on Earth then? Shinji and Asuka wouldn't hold a candle to people in actual asylums.
>>
>>92878708
Here's a soft ball for you weeb:

Name me a recent Japanese work with an ending better than...let's say the film La-La Land. La-La Land was a mediocre film. It should be easy as pie for you.
>>
>>92884362
The audience is overall very satisfied with the entire series, including the finale and last season.

There's a vocal minority of people with very conflicting ideas of what they want that are upset, though.

You have the people who believe that Jack and Aku are evenly matched in a fight despite all evidence to the contrary and should have had a drawn out fight .

You have the people who believe that any ending involving going back to the past is terrible.

You have the people who don't think Jack should have even come close to fighting Aku in the future and just fought the Guardian despite being told and shown that all portals are gone.

You have the people who hate anything other than a 100% happy ending.

And there's more. You can't please everyone.
>>
>>92884335
I can believe that but I also think that the guardian episode was at least 60% of the reason why people wanted another season and an ending to the series in the first place.
>>
>>92880110
Except nobody'll discuss Samurai Jack for years, I mean, it was a decent revival yet only those who grew up with Samurai Jack'll discuss it. Along with additional new fans.

Steven Universe have a better chance at being discussed for years and years given how much Sugar try to make the cartoon smarter then it is, hell, I can see books written on the show now,
>Universal Love: How Steven Universe showed the world about tolerance of the same sex
>the Power of Fusion: Dance is the new sex for consent!
>Symbolism of a Cartoon: Everything You thought you knew but now you know!
Maybe not on Eva levels of discussion, however, I can see it getting discussed as much.
>>
>>92884383
>>92884489
They were clearly instrumentalized (tanged) offscreen as we see them in the trippy ending, they just managed to comeback. Rei even says she and shinji are in the sea of lcl and both are fluid that scene. Of course he got tanged.

>>92884272
The story isnt just the lore we see, the entire last 15 minutes of the movie (and the last 40 of the anime) are about shinji starting to show some self respect and make some effort to be happy instead of being the hypocrical fool he used to be.

The entire ending has this effort to improve thematic, which must be considered too.

Sure, the world is physically fucked, even when people come back there will be chaos, but just saying it is "in vain" is purposely ignoring most of it. It is a proper bittersweet ending.
>>
File: angry tie.jpg (29KB, 600x614px) Image search: [Google]
angry tie.jpg
29KB, 600x614px
>>92877171
A "good" ending is more likely to be forgotten than a controversial ending or an ending that everyone hates but an excellent ending is always going to be remembered even when the discussion dies out, event which will eventually happen and which will mark the death of the memory of the bad ending.
>>
>>92884954
It's really sad that creatives have to conflate infamy with memorability.
>>
>>92884926
>Proper bittersweet ending

That would be seeing humanity start to form out of the tang. Seeing Shinji strangling Asuka and Asuka go "How disgusting..." like her mind is gone as well is just a bitter ending. Any positivity is left to speculation and conjecture. The image that ends the film is the last boy on Earth strangling the shit out of the last girl on Earth with everything reduced to alien menstrual fluid.

If they were going for a positive and life-affirming ending they missed the mark by a lot.
>>
>>92884653
>The audience is overall
The overall audience of any work is fucking retarded, whats the news?

The entire episode was poorly executed, ashi lines were fucking terrible, the lack of a future aku death is anti climatic, even if the fight should be ultimately easy for jack and the bittersweet ending was poorly concieved, raising way too many paradoxes and problems that weren't addressed.
You cant just drop a bittersweet ending with bad explanation and little to no foreshadowing and proper setup on a otherwise happy series and call it a day.
>>
>>92884653
>The audience is overall very satisfied
I was satisfied too, in the same way I am satisfied with a 5 buck burger I would order on the go and eat just because I had the money to throw away at some shitty restaurant I happened to pass by.
The season was fun, it brought warm feelings of a happy childhood and Jack is one of my favorite characters of youth, but the quality of the season as a whole wasn't what it should have been.
The mature themes are as quickly resolved as they are presented, the characters grow on you yet their development is rushed and at the end of the road their story arcs are almost completely irrelevant, the themes that are portrayed throughout the season are disregarded for the sake of a previously stablished "bittersweet" ending that Genndy had already thought of years ago, and a revival that had effectively sparked interest in a decades dead character finished up by smothering its own flame with little to no grace.
The real issue is not HOW it ended, because people would always want a different ending, but WHY it ended the way it did.
You read a fantasy adventure novel and some people might have wanted something different out of its ending, but if the writing is consistent and the events follow a path that is both believable and captivating, then the ending will probably be accepted because it kept in tempo and style with the narrative.
With SJ you have a case where it is easy to watch the show like you would an old cartoon and just look past its issues, but this revival was meant for an ADULT audience, and as such we are not only expected to be treated as one, but we demand that the quality be in par with adult minds and the subject matters that are introduced, so when I look past pretty visuals and meme robots I want to be left with something of real substance.
>>
>>92887307
The season treated the main antagonist as nothing more than a funny gag, with all of Aku's weight as a character being presented in the previous seasons, with him doing absolutely nothing of import in this one.
And before you mention it, transforming Ashi had as little weight to it as killing the Scotsman, because not only did those actions carry no consequences of note, but they were resolved in the blink of an eye and, in hindsight, it only served as the gateway to turning all of her work as a character into a plot device.
People believe the things they do because of the way everything was portrayed, because of how poorly a 5 season journey concluded.
For a season that presented the message of “the choices you make, and the actions that follow, are a reflection of who you are” showed nothing of the sort, with no choice whatsoever beyond an internal debate of Jack that ended in 20 seconds.
Seppuku was a problem that was at first envisioned as an inner struggle but ended up as a physical entity that can be slain and all the burden it carried dies with it.
Why wasn’t Depression Jack there, fighting Ashi’s arguments, instead of a giant samurai that offered no rebuttals and only shouted for her to be silent?
Rage, a figment of Jack subconscious that was able to manifest as a hallucination, is destroyed by eye beams when a spiritual monk hints Jack with the fact that perhaps he should just do away with his rage, like he would a torn garb.
We are talking about the weight of Jack’s failures throughout time, of his dead family, of his lost sword, of his loosing fight against time, and all those problems disappear in a moment?
This season had good ideas, introduced interesting sub-plots and offered a more mature take on the beloved samurai’s adventure, then it didn’t know how to bring them to a satisfying conclusion and treated itself as the same old show it was years ago, disregarding the road it traveled and the more critical minds that watched it
>>
>>92887330
Now all you have left are people who had fun with the season and think it is a fine piece of entertainment, others that were hopeful and were left with nothing in the end, others that simply accept it as yet another cartoon they happened to watch.
All that is left is a show that has reached the end and is very unlikely to be remember other than by the nostalgia of the ones that enjoyed it in their youth and the dissatisfaction of those who expected to walk away feeling the love they we.
>>
>>92887357
*The love they were promised.
>>
>>92883861
Do you mind explaining what that's supposed to mean?
>>
>>92887357
>>92887330
Thematic inconsistency, aka introduce too much and dont know how to make it a cohesive experience, is a pretty big flaw in this season.

Was it ganndys first time making a long overarching story? All stories i know made by him are episodic.
>>
>>92877171
"... for the artist's career, not necessarily for the reader."
>>
>>92877171
Well, I am going to write so much fanfiction because of this shit.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.