[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do comics make up bullshit powers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: whereareyou-imbullshit.jpg (296KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
whereareyou-imbullshit.jpg
296KB, 768x1024px
Decided I'd try to read supergirl and 2 issues in I see this bullshit. With the 800 superheroes I saw in the first few issues each with a million powers each, why do comic books have the intense need to fuck with shit and invent random ass contrived reasons for heroes having arbitrary other powers for no greater purpose?
>>
>>92802613
Lazy writing
>>
>>92802613
That's not really inventing a new power, that's just utilizing super speed in a different way.
>>
>>92802613
Hey dude

They're all made up bullshit
>>
>>92802613
DC has been doing this for like 50+ years now. It's been used by the Flash countless times and probably various Superman comics too. It comes in handy when you're wanting to hide, as I presume Supergirl is in that panel, and when you want to run fast through solid objects but don't want to destroy said objects. You just vibrate your molecules through the object's molecules.
>>
>>92802613
Plot convenience
Though really bullshit powers are fun when they're used creatively.
Western Capeshit never does that though.
>>
>>92802875
>>92803032

I at least like my made up bullshit to be consistent with itself, or at least able to be handwaved away.

Flash's thing is that he is the fastest man alive. Thats all he gets, not even that great. Supergirl has heat vision, freeze breath, super strength, flying, the superman things. Thats what she's known for. Thats her character.

Why make up other shit. Why just decide to give her the entirety of the powers of another major character, just for 2 panels to get a punch in. Doing that completely neuters the flash, as thats all he can do, and if supergirl is as fast, then what is he except for an inferior hero? And why should supergirl suddenly get flash speed for free?
>>
File: 1479959278249.jpg (244KB, 1024x1562px) Image search: [Google]
1479959278249.jpg
244KB, 1024x1562px
>>92803049
They have their moments.
>>
>>92803113
>Why just decide to give her the entirety of the powers of another major character
That's literally the entire basis of Supergirl's powerset. Superman has been doing the 'vibrating face' thing since the 50's. It's kind of silly, but it's not some crazy jump to assume Supergirl can do the same thing.

Your problem is that you seem to be reading this comic for the powers and not the characters. Supergirl vibrating for 2 panels should not matter in the slightest if you're enjoying the story and if someone using a silly power for a silly reason bothers you that much, you shouldn't be reading DC Comics in the first place.
>>
>>92803257
That seems a little high minded for Hal.
>>92803113
Yeah who ever heard of Kryptonians having superspeed or bullshit powers?
>>
File: supermanareyouforreal.jpg (94KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
supermanareyouforreal.jpg
94KB, 500x250px
Just found this. what the fuck was anybody thinking. Also, why was this never referenced again?
>>
File: C4ZWnVeWEAAParL.jpg (182KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
C4ZWnVeWEAAParL.jpg
182KB, 1200x900px
>>92804242
>never referenced again
>>
>>92804335

That only makes it even more dumb.

On a side note, I don't think marvel is anywhere as egregious with this as DC
>>
you're like the old man bitching about dunks in the NBA, or nerds in baseball.

Don't be a Goose Gossage, OP.
>>
File: Mondo.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mondo.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
>>92803113
>Flash's thing is that he is the fastest man alive. Thats all he gets, not even that great

nigga...
>>
>>92803113
Silver Age Flash was written by writers who had to think outside the box with his single power of super speed and had to get creative to make sure it didn't run dry.
This led to hand tornadoes, passing through walls, and what you just saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE
It's cape fantasy, just relax

>>92805221
All Star Superman was a love letter to the classic idea of who Superman is and represents
The writer of it also has a hard on for obscure stuff
>>
>>92805221
I bet you hate Brave and the Bold as well.
>>
>>92803113
You fucking pleb, The Flash is probably the best example of power twisting bullshit.
>>
>>92803257
Hey, that's a pretty neat idea.
>>
File: IMG_4761.jpg (449KB, 1200x1330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4761.jpg
449KB, 1200x1330px
>>92804335
>>92805221
Remember when the people of Wakanda had the cure for cancer but didn't share it because of their pretentious superiority complex?
>>
>>92806836
Good lord, Wakandans are horrid people.
>>
>>92806342
Yes. Thats what I'm saying. I agree with that. Thats what the OP was about, "I can go invisible due to fast speed" being power twisty, flash does it, and supergirl does it as well.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.