[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>we get to know her backstory >we get to know her motivations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: ashi1.png (217KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
ashi1.png
217KB, 730x1095px
>we get to know her backstory
>we get to know her motivations and primary goals throughout the story
>she gets character development
>she gets inner conflict
>the show takes its time with her redemption, giving her three episodes to fully change sides
>she showcases clear and distinguishable traits of personality, both positive and negative, like being courageous, passionate, curious yet somewhat reckless and socially awkward due to her upbringing
>she gets an entire character arc of a redeemed villain who ends up sacrificing themselves out of love
>has more character development than Aku, Scotsman, Guardian, Scaramouche, pretty much everyone other than Jack
>/co/ still insists on her being a "plot device"
Tell me /co/, what ELSE would she need to finally become a character in your eyes?
>>
she ded lol
>>
She is a nice character, i just think that we had few time knowing her. She should have been introduced in season 3 or 4 or sth as a recurring character.
>>
I liked her, I just wish she didn't vanish

After Jack had that silly fucking smile on his face right before the wedding I just wanted him to have a happy ending.
>>
Character. She really doesn't have much personality.
>>
>>92749630
It's not that she wasn't a character, it's that she had a redemption arc, a romance arc, and a heel turn and second redemption arc crammed into a few episodes. All for the purpose of... I dunno what. Storywise she was a huge distraction who exists for her own sake, although she is a good reminder to Jack that he just killed all his friends, friends he has known longer and better than anyone from his own time. But that's not really touched upon.
>>
File: 1494720900521.png (78KB, 654x1335px) Image search: [Google]
1494720900521.png
78KB, 654x1335px
>>92749630
I never disliked Ashi
but how she was used in CI was a total crapshoot

she never even got to tell Jack she loved him ;-;
>>
>>92749630
Ashish is quite an amazing thing
Only ten episodes of Wich she was only a bad character for seven
Yet she managed to be more hateable than korra
>>
I thought it was weird how well adjusted she seemed after Jack takes her on that pimp adventure. I guess an entire life of emotional and physical abuse and having it drilled into you that all life including your own is expendable can be reversed with the prospect of samurai dick. She just started acting like a normal cutesy chick with a crush. I wonder where she even got the social cues for kissing and awkward hand touching from? What was happening in that cave?
>>
>>92749630
She would have been a spectacular SEQUEL to Samurai jack
>>
>>92749729
While I agree, that wouldn't be possible considering the circumstances.
>>
>>92749630
Tell me /co/, what ELSE would she need to finally become a character in your eyes?

A personality.
>>
>>92750813
Meant to reply to >>92749692
>>
>>92749630
her mouth is creepy, besides that shes ok
>>
>>92749630
>Have another half a season or a full season to exist.
>Go through some of the dilemmas and feelings of doubt that helped make Jack a more rounded character.
>Actually interact with nature and the world rather than forgetting about all of that to lust over Jack's dick.
>Make a choice to sacrifice herself in an actual hopeless situation rather than just dying because the ending would be too happy otherwise.
>>
>>92750836
>her mouth is creepy
Yeah, creeping up and down my dick in an ideal world.
>>
>>92750867
Also, her and her sisters getting a happy ending in an alternate future somehow would be nice, because as it is it feels like Genndy cared very little about them as characters and more of a vehicle to get a time portal to Jack.
>>
>>92750773
Supposedly she had the weakest conviction for the mission and the cult from the beginning. Kissing and the like is actually pretty instinctual. It's flimsy for an excuse, I know, but that's my best explanation.
>>
>>92750773
This
She's just sort of awkward but sweet girl, being raised as a child soldier didn't have any impact on her.
>>
>>92750894
gee, just like most SJ bad guys
>>
>>92751230
The difference is that most SJ bad guys choose to be bad guys, even ones with good intentions like Princess Mira. And Ashi was supposed to be redeemed.
>>
>>92750824
She has as much personality as her backstory allows. She was raised to be a soulless dedicated assassin, a battle unit, not a person. It makes sense for her to only start developing personality traits as she goes off that path.
>>
>>92751254
>that most SJ bad guys choose to be bad guys
>robots
>>
>>92751305
I'm not sure how much of it is programming since the robots seem to be different depending on the model. Like, the Ultra Robots were made to be evil, same with the Beetle Drones.

But then you have ones like X-9 who decide they don't want to kill or the peaceful robots that were killed by the Ultra Robots.

Not sure which one Scaramouche counts as, though.
>>
>>92751305
Most robots aren't actually like...beings with an independent will, so it's kind of a moot point.

>>92750773
Kissing is actually mostly instinctive, and you don't need to be taught to feel anxious about being touched by someone. Ashi has a bit of an arc where she goes from terse to more relaxed, though it tends to be a change between episodes, from 5 to 6 to 7 to 8.
>>
>>92750936
Part of the reason I didn't want to see her and Jack hook up at the very beginning when the whole "lover vs. mentor" argument was raging is because I felt it would take a lot to turn this murderous, emotionally broken and inexperienced character into someone who could be a romantic interest for Jack. I was on Team Mentor because at the time I knew we only had 10 episodes total, already burned through 3, and would need to cover Ashi's development into suitable waifu material before the romance arc could even realistically start. Genndy's solution was just to do it at the flip of a switch. Ashi's personality does a total 180 with a single field trip and it's like she's a completely different character. Only her lingering mommy issues are recognizable afterwards, and only for like a minute.
>>
>>92750824
Ashi's personality isn't really hard to figure out.

Likes nature, enjoys the company of animals (and vice-versa). Is naturally curious and skeptical. Extremely objective-oriented; her reaction to finding out her life is a lie isn't to have a breakdown but to focus on what she can do about it. Clearly enjoys fighting and has a casual attitude to violence, even lethal violence. Doesn't go out looking for fights, but won't back down from them. Self-sacrificing in the extreme.
>>
>>92751459
Yeah, Ashi didn't need to fall in love with Jack for the ending to be as it was; they only needed to be close.
>>
>>92751459
>Ashi's personality does a total 180 with a single field trip
I wish people would stop forcing this shitty meme
>>
>>92751679
Oh yeah. There was a ladybug involved too.
>>
>>92751751
She got spared and later saved by Jack several times during a day, herself had to repeatedly see and endure the hardships of Aku's world in the following days almost getting killed, and then seeing all the people Jack has helped and brought hope to praising him and striving to survive.
But you only remember the ladybug and for some reason think that isn't not merely a symbol but the entire reason for her redemption. I suppose when a lonely character in the movie is looking at his old family photo, your mind automatically assumes that he only feels sad about that particular photo and not about his family overall.
>>
>>92750922
>Kissing and the like is actually pretty instinctual.
>>92751426
>Kissing is actually mostly instinctive
There are cultures around the world that don't kiss at all. It could still be instinctual, but if kissless cultures can remain kissless by simply not doing it despite whatever instinct, the social retard who grew up kissless probably won't have that inclination either. Neither will Ashi.
>>
>>92749630
>has more character development than Aku, Scotsman, Guardian, Scaramouche, pretty much

Doesn't really mean much, when all of her development is rushed and poorly executed. If anything it's worse since she still felt bland, despite robbing screentime and development away from arguaby more interesting characters.
>>
>>92752021
Less than 10% of human cultures don't have kissing.
>>
>>92751946
And before she even met Jack she had been taught since childhood that her life, the lives of her sisters, and all life in general is worthless outside of praising Aku and destroying his enemies. All that stuff Jack showed her is stuff she'd been taught not to care about anyway. That was her only frame of reference for about 2 decades, and whether or not she ever truly believed it, it shaped her personality regardless. Even if she learned quickly to care for other beings, unlearning all that negative shit she grew up with takes more than an afternoon.
>>
>>92752831
And Ashi's weird cave cult would probably be one of them.
>>
File: IMG_0938.jpg (2MB, 901x3736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0938.jpg
2MB, 901x3736px
>>92749630
>she showcases clear and distinguishable traits of personality, both positive and negative, like being courageous, passionate
>corageous and passionate

Those are clihe Mary Sue traits

>socially akward

She is never this, that's why people have a problem with her character. She is fully socially functional despite her whole life being a training montage.
>>
>>92749630
>what ELSE would she need to finally become a character in your eyes?

Time.
>>
>>92752869
>oh that fucking Samurai! He obviously orchestrated us getting eaten by a giant monster, almost getting killed inside several time, himself talking to his hallucinations, getting out of there! He obviously destroyed all the trees himself to make Aku look bad and he paid the guy at the bureau and the big muscular guy to act as if they're complete assholes! And that guy that caught me and kept electrocutting me was hired by the samurai, too! He was so cunning as to even fake himself being threatened by all the monster kids and then ghost spirits taking him away! And all the people praising him are obviously just shills trying to make me forget my true purpose!
if that happened you'd be the first to laugh at how ridiculous that is
>>
>>92752903
I'm guessing they were both equally incompetent. Jack knows what a kiss is, Ashi probably has the vaguest notion of "I want to do this." So you've got two awkward dorks figuring it out by trial and error.
>>
>>92752869
It did take more than an afternoon. They were in the creature for days, and Jack was showing Ashi Aku's evil for days or perhaps weeks. Ashi sees even MORE on her own.
>>
>>92749630

Someone who isn't Jack to play off.

That's her problem. She exists for jack. If one of the scotsmans daughters was around as a friend then maybe. If there was some kid from the original series who was jaded and old to work off of, it'd be cool. If there was a second unrelated OC for her to have some scenes with that'd even be ok. She doesn't even have a half a dozen other lines with any other character.
>>
>>92753633
>She doesn't even have a half a dozen other lines with any other character.

Neither does Jack.
>>
File: IKEAKidReactionImage.jpg (179KB, 872x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IKEAKidReactionImage.jpg
179KB, 872x1200px
>>92752904

>>Those are clihe Mary Sue traits
>>clihe

Invalid.
>>
File: 1461447164044.gif (232KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1461447164044.gif
232KB, 640x480px
I'm still pissed about the Guardian. Don't care what that makes me in /co/'s eyes, but I would have been happier the show never returned than the shafting that particular plotline/ character got. The ending to that episode is the true ending to SJ in my opinion.
>>
>>92753696

Yeah, but we know jack. We know everyone else in this world. If you want someone to be Jack's equal, or even just on a similar level, you need to take him through a similar journey and that means dealing with other people. Ashi needed to have someone equivalent to the Scotsman.
>>
>>92749630
>Ashi you have Akus powers
>*Gasp*
>I guess I do!

She was a plot device.
>>
>>92754342
>but I would have been happier the show never returned than the shafting that particular plotline/ character got. The ending to that episode is the true ending to SJ in my opinion.

Glad you don't care then, because you're an autistic fuckwit.
>>
>>92749630
Shes a character alright, just a shitty one that had no place taking up space and wasting a season just to have her pointlessly shipped with Jack when there were dozens of better directions to take the plot.
Plus, just because she has those elements doesn't mean they were executed well.
>>
>>92758210
Why are all you fags that somehow liked this pile of shit show so insecure about people not liking it?
Is nostalgia that much of a defining trait in your lives?
>>
I kinda liked ashi, but she wasnt a great character. Could be explored more seriously, took more time to become an ajusted person, to fall in love, etc. Extra episodes or a new season would be good for it

On the other hand i know that a lot of people would be fucking furious about the show turning into literal jack and ashi show.

In the end i think she feels a little forced, and the the ending was even more forced because of "muh bittersweet", which drags the season down a little.
>>
>>92758433
I thought you didn't care what people think? Because it's clear you do.

And no, I'm not defending it out of nostalgia, I simply enjoyed it for what it was. If anything, you're so blinded by your own nostalgia it would've never lived up to your headcannon. You wouldn't have been happy no matter what happened. Whether it stayed cancelled or ended a different way, you would've bitched regardless.
>>
>>92752904
>Those are clihe Mary Sue traits
Then Jack is a Mary Sue?
>She is never this, that's why people have a problem with her character. She is fully socially functional despite her whole life being a training montage.
>all the awkward tension between her and Jack in E8 and E9
>tries to avoid directly talking about dem feels
>fully socially functional
>>
>>92758114
by that logic everything ever is a plot device
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.