[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Samurai Jack General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 23

File: 1481289133363.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481289133363.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
Samurai Jack was never good in my opinion, the show had an episodic plot, that went absolutely nowhere like BTAS
>>
Pretty much the same reason why The Loud House sucks
>>
>>92744678
I missed the launch, just watched the episode
How was it received?
>>
This. Samurai Jack was mediocre and forgettable as hell just like NuPPG
>>
File: end.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
end.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>92744678
It was going to be bad the moment Aku sent Jack into the future and we saw nothing of what happened. Genndy could have made a whole season out of Jack's adventures in the future that is Aku, but he just comes back a few seconds later? What was the point? And why did he have a one-person wedding, is that some weird Japanese thing?
>>
>>92744871
You mean Steven Universe
>>
>>92744737
This. Shows that are episodic are hard to binge watch
>>
File: WTF am I reading.png (135KB, 361x256px) Image search: [Google]
WTF am I reading.png
135KB, 361x256px
>>92744737
>Loud House
>isn't an action cartoon
>doesn't have an episodic plot
>nothing like SJ or BTAS
>"Pretty much the same reason"

Not very smart, are you, loser?
>>
File: The-batman-serie.jpg (47KB, 555x694px) Image search: [Google]
The-batman-serie.jpg
47KB, 555x694px
>>92744678
Yet another reason why this is the superior Batman cartoon.
>>
>>92745363
>Show sucks because its episodic
>That's why the other episodic cartoon is better
>>
>only the first 3 episodes were good
>days pass
>only the first 2 episodes were good
>go on vacation for a week
>predict that by the time I come back the entire series will be shat on
>turn out to be right
At the current rate, in a month or two we'll get
>animation was never good
>humanity was never good
>I wish the big bang never happened
>>
>>92744678
Can't tell if bait but episodic stories that build upon the world and only focus on the main plot near the end, like Bebop. It's much prefarable than a protracted plot that ends up just goin nowhere and dragging, like most shounen.
>>
>>92745464
>The Batman
>episodic
pick one
>>
Season 5 marathon tonight
>>
>>92745605

We are gonna have a thread for this right?
>>
>>92745622
I somewhat assumed that one Ashifag was gonna make it, honestly.

This thread is obvious bait and I'm guessing it's gonna get broomed by the jannies.
>>
File: 8w0u3.jpg (20KB, 475x365px) Image search: [Google]
8w0u3.jpg
20KB, 475x365px
>>92744678
>>92744737
>>92745044
>Being episodic is a bad thing.

When did this meme start?
>>
>>92745464
Does that mean that Beware the Batman, the most serialized Batman cartoon, is the superior one?
>>
>being episodic is bad
>almost every cartoon from the 90's-early 2000's are episodic
I guess old spongebob sucks
I guess the old simpsons sucks
I guess Johnny Bravo sucks
I guess Futurama sucks
I guess old Fairly odd parents sucks
I guess Dexters lab sucks
I guess Courage the cowardly dog sucks
I guess everything fucking sucks
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kblFbFZ2WNI&ebc=ANyPxKoigtpnXYaAt4B6du0MpwKUaWJPDeSRrHdX4OxVBmKSvx7_DePtEFGm9m4DcHjYhNoBFysl540RK2vsWo2wahRumb126Q
>>
>>92746312
Except for Courage, all of those are either adult sitcoms or do indeed suck terribly in hindsight.

Courage got around it with the horror aspect.
>>
>>92745527
Quit being melodramatic. You should've expected some typical 4chan contrarianism. Every show goes through it, why shouldn't SJ?
>>
File: 1492290107602.png (439KB, 843x945px) Image search: [Google]
1492290107602.png
439KB, 843x945px
>>92746312
Samurai Jack always had a shitty story but it was about the action and scenery. When I was younger watching this show the only thing I cared about was the action. Why do you think the first three episodes get so much praise? Because they recaptured what Samurai jack was all about. Genndy was never a good story-writer, just look at the making of Season 5, Genndy is all about the "BOOM and SWISH" and sound effects. How anyone thinks this season was good after episode three is beyond me.

Genndy just spend about 30 mins getting random tropes from tvtropes and ripped off the ending of TTGL, because he is incapable of giving Samurai jack a unique ending , and wasted the entire season on a literal plot device.
>>
>>92746312
The Legend of Prince Valiant, Invasion America, Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk, Double Dragon, King Arthur and The Knights of Justice, Shadow Raiders, The Pirates of Dark Water, Conan the Adventurer, Exosquad, Phantom 2040, Beast Wars, Gargoyles, Reboot, Superman TAS, Silver Surfer, Batman Beyond, Xyber 9: New Dawn, Redwall had plot in them
>>
fucking clockwork.
>>
>>92746756
Truth my man
>>
The plot wasn't supposed to be going in a certain direction.
>>
>>92746473
His face creeped me the fuck up.

Also, the Gods a shit.
Worse than some autistic child between Hitler, Genndy, Mothra, and Cyclops dead genitals.
>>
>>92747110

>brief, 10 episode revival of a show called Samurai Jack
>expect it to be Samurai Jack
>first three episodes are fucking awesome, people are hyped
>sudden swerve: the rest of the show is trying to built up a babboon faced literally who as a main character, said character brings an abrupt ant anticlimactic ending and tries to sell her death some some epic tearjerker

yeah right
>>
>>92744678
>Start general
>I HATED IT

and we're off to a great start

captcha: Jackson private
>>
I would have loved for the season to either be longer as a whole, or for there to be 2 of them, even if Ashi and the Future Timeline dies in the end.

A longer buildup, Jack and Ashi working together for an extended period of episodes, exploring and bringing down more of Aku's minions/strongholds, facing more humans either followers/bounty hunters, a longer wait until the Ghost reveal with each of his appearances being more and more ominous as the Inner Jack pushes him further towards seppuku, and with a slower, richer execution of the final encounter with Aku.
>>
File: Jack_tired.png (923KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jack_tired.png
923KB, 1920x1080px
>>92748787
This honestly. Ashi should have died with the rest of her sisters. I don't know what Genndy was smoking making her a protagonist when they only had 7 fucking episodes left to conclude Jacks story. It's no coincidence the pacing and story went to shit the moment she became a main character.
>>
>>92744678
>the show had an episodic plot, that went absolutely nowhere
It must be fun hating 95% of Western animated series
>>
>>92746730
But Aku was a plot device, too. Why aren't you whining about him?
>>
>>92749277
>the moment she became a main character.
That means never? The only episode more or less focused around her is 6
>>
>>92749340
There's a difference between having a main villain of the show who acts as the driving force of the plot and a character whose sole existence is to be a LITERAL plot device.

>Claim before the season starts that all the time portal have been destroyed
>Introduce literally who and have entire season revolve around her
>Last second, WAIT I CAN SHIT ON OUT!

This is the writing you are defending.
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1495414218011.png (131KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1495414218011.png
131KB, 400x533px
>>92745044
>hard to binge watch
>being this much of a brain dead normalfag to have to binge everything or it isnt good
>>
Nice of you to announce your bad taste in front of the world, but we were already well aware people like you exist. So. Nice talking with you.
>>
>>92749576
This Deus Ex Machina makes sense in the context of the story. What's wrong with that? It didn't mess with any rules established before.
>>
>>92749842
Taste is a meme. People aren't born with a magical ability to determine some abstract quality, otherwise some kind of a 'taste gene' would've been discovered already.
>>
>>92744678
This happens every single time westerners copy anime.

Why are you surprised.
>>
>>92749865
>Deus Ex Machina makes sense in the context of the story

Not really.
Deus Ex Machina was used plenty of times in the show but not horrible in this way, for example Jack vs the Ultrabots, he gets an asspull of powers out of nowhere to win the day, this works because it's cool and flows with he rest of the show. The whole plot of the show is jack getting back to the past. The portal was always a plot device, something Jack saw and pursued after. Genndy already fucked up by declaring all the time portals were destroyed; so now we are lead to believe he's stuck in the future.

But then you have a fanfic character newly introduced who takes up all of the time, who conveniently has the powers of Aku and at the last second "OH WAIT I HAVE HIS POWERS" and then shits out a portal quickly. Using Deus Ex Machina's when you written yourself into a corner is a sign of amateurish writing and even worse when it's being used through a newly introduced character who just ends up dying at the end for cheap emotional impact.

Straight out of deviantart
>>
>>92749896
(You)
>>
>>92744678
I kinda want to discuss elements of Season 5 that disappointed me, but I feel like it'd get ignored amidst all of the other Jackposting or the only responses I'd get would be someone calling me a faggot or saying "You're just mad it didn't follow your headcanon. Now swallow my dick, you virgin."
>>
>>92749370
She has a significant amount of screentime and importance to the narrative compared to every other character besides Jack and Aku. She's a main character.
>>
>>92750102

>could have went back to the past numerous times but refused to leave the monks or the spessmen behind
>ashi just goes "lul i have akus powers!" "lets leave bai!" without jack even having a say in it or trying to protect the army of his friends fighting Aku
>this is JUST after the Scotsman gets a nice little humanizing scene
>but Jack unmakes him and all his daughters too and basically everyone who lived between feudal japan and the future

I dont get what was about Aku destroying all the time portals. In the original show they were clearly not a rarity, many of them were hidden or protected by blue Morpheus

plus dont forget, Jack was even given a fairy wish he could have used to go back but wished it on freeing the fairy, this stupid ending made jack look like a fucking moron because he could have just saved 50 years of suffering effortlessly
>>
>>92750255
That was one of the things I was going to mention here

>>92750220

Maybe I should write up my feelings after all.
>>
>>92745363
Idk about superior, but damn I loved The Batman. It has its own aesthetic and its fucking great, we needed it alongside BTAS, Batman Forever, and Brave and the Bold.

>>92745527
Probably a quarter of 4chan now didn't even know their ABCs when Samurai Jack first aired, they're just out of touch.
>>
>>92744917
>Genndy could have made a whole season out of Jack's adventures in the future that is Aku
Anon
There was five (5) seasons of exactly that.

>What was the point?
...to undo the future that was Aku.
Did you even watch the show? What part of this premise that is sung at the very beginning of every episode didn't catch on?
>>
I wonder how many more times will we get a thread about SJ making the exact same posts, with the exact same complaints, with the exact same responses?
>>
>>92750102
wow
wow
WOW

Deviantart has come a long way, my man.
They don't post such low quality shit anymore.

>>92750242
This.
Although I don't mind the addition of a new main character so long as its reason to be is worthwhile.
Honestly, the season could have been better if either
A. Ashi wasn't part of it so as to have time to develop a some proper build-up towards finding """""the last super hidden deus ex machina portal"""""
B. The season was either longer or was more than one and so there were enough episodes to explore the dynamic of the protagonists and to figure out a more acceptable plot device than literal surprise shriek into the past
C. The writing wasn't such rushed, contrived shit outside of fancy sword fights.

Ashi was still a cute
>>
>>92745566
so much this. So many mangas had some potentials and could have ended in better ways, but the eventual pacing issue make them lose the charm.
>>
File: 1455734920283.png (31KB, 812x732px) Image search: [Google]
1455734920283.png
31KB, 812x732px
>>92750397
>>
>>92750255
Well, without going full blog post mode, here are a few issues I had with Season 5.

>Ashi's mother is barely established as a character. For a villain, that's fine, I suppose, but as the main source of conflict for one of the season's main characters, it makes me care less about her as a whole.

>The Daughters of Aku get no happy ending. They're tormented from a young age, raised to hate and kill, die, and are erased from existence unmourned. Ashi doesn't even change her feelings on them after becoming a heroic character beyond blaming her mother for what happened to them. No graves are made for them and ultimately the relationship between sisters is never explored. Sure, "death is failure", but they took the time to pull their dead sister out of the wreckage before leaving her and have some hint of care for one another in childhood.

>Ashi is largely pointless. She's introduced as someone who cares about nature, but then completely forgets about nature following Episode 7 just so she can thirst for Jack's dick. And then she never gets Jack's dick, so that was pointless. The only purpose she served was making a time portal for Jack, and we could've just used The Guardian, an already established character, for that.

>Jack gets little agency. Jack loses his way, becomes despondent, and falls to a low point he's never been in before. But then Ashi fixes his depression with a few words. And then the gods magic his appearance back to normal rather than him consciously fixing himself up to show he's had a change in character. And then Ashi drags him back to the past without any input from him, even though he put off going back to the past to help people in the future before. Going back to the past should have been Jack's choice, not something that was forced on him. Or, if it was forced on him, it should have been in a more tragic circumstance, like Ashi pushing him into a portal.

There's more, but I'm out of character space.
>>
>>92750397

We had a show ending on a promising note and a premise of endless adventure. Then it suddenly turns into about Jack's PTSD, which get resolved without a bang and a shitty, flat, emotionless ending that goes against the theme of the show and the character of Jack.

The fifth season was a meandering, badly paced pile of shit. Did we really really need an entire throwaway episode about a space prison and leech monsters right before the ending?
>>
i personally would have preferred if he stayed in the future simply because the progression of "character wants x > realizes it can't be done / is not the better option > chooses y instead > grows as a person" for character development but that's just how i interpreted the series.

i remember the episode where he finds his old home, and at the end he sees the memories of his parents but finds a robot screaming for help and decides to go after him. then we see his parents move independently of his sight and look proud so what we assumed to be just jack's memories of his parents were actually spirits, still looking after his son.

I always assumed that ep was basically foreshadowing/symbolism for an ending where he laments not being able to return, the ghosts of his family appear and tell him to move forward, and he decides to help the future.

now, i get that going back was the goal and "they said it in the theme song" but didn't anyone who liked the ending felt weird that the moral dilemma of changing his friend's lives / the future characters fate after jack goes back / the nature of spirits that we were show exist in the future weren't touched AT ALL?
>>
>>92749576
Define plot device. I'm curious. With a description that vague, every character ever is a plot device.
>>
>>92750578
I wished they were touched upon, but that's why I think the season shouldn't have just been 10 episodes, to expand on certain things that didn't get wrapped up. Outside of that, I was perfectly fine with the ending.
>>
>>92750578
To be honest, there's no way that the ending wasn't going to make waves.

>Jack goes back to the past: People feel like him not taking time portals previously was a waste.
>Jack doesn't go back to the past: People feel angry that Jack doesn't save his family and friends from Aku.
>The show ends without revealing what he does: People complain that it was a cop-out and should have had the guts to choose.
>>
>>92746730

First things first, I liked season 5 of samurai jack for what it was.

Anyway

The problem isn't that Genndy can't do stories capably, Sym-Bionic Titan was great, it's that the fandom demanded an ending to a show that didn't need and by design wasn't supposed to have one. They gave us a narrative out with the Guardian, and that's all this show needed, because like you said, everything but atmosphere/style was secondary. The fandom constantly demanding an ending forces the series Samurai Jack to be something it was never supposed to be in the first place.
>>
>>92750649
Yep. I can just imagine all the threads on /co/ complaining about Jack not going back & calling Genndy a hack for not "having Jack complete his quest.".
>>
>>92750649
This is the most likely scenario.
>>
>>92750649
true, people would complain no matter what, but some of these complaints could have been mitigated to some degree with the right writing for each ending

>jack goes back : he has time to remember his friends in the future, perhaps makes a little burial, we get a glimpse of familiar characters in the good future with a jack statue in the middle/ the halhearttreein the middle

>jack stays: the spirits of his parents and old teachers tells him again that aku's reign what not his fault, that he is allowed to choose his own path, he can stay knowing his parents support him i don't know
>>
>>92750522
>a premise of endless adventure
>..to undo the future that IS Akuuuuuu
It was never going to be about endless adventure.
>Then it suddenly turns into
Yeah you know, I'll give you that, only if you'll remember this was supposed to be a movie, I think they took elements from that idea, just from how contained the season was. You could watch the first episode, and then watch season 5.

>which get resolved without a bang and a shitty, flat, emotionless ending
How do you resolve an inner conflict with a bang? Was Ashi not soloing an army and her mother not enough? But fine, I kind of wished Jack went on a more physical search than a tea ceremony soul search, too. But you can't say that isn't part of the theme, Jack is old and tired, if we didn't have this PSTD part answered, we would have a whole other set of anons whining about how unrealistic it would be that Jack wouldn't be fatigued after all that time.

>that goes against the theme of the show and the character of Jack.
Yeah see, you can't whine about Jack's little episode and then say it goes against the show and Jack. Jack's human, pretty sure they made a big deal about this when he killed the assassin, he's not like the machines. The whole Sudoku Bushido thing fits perfectly, Jack has guilt and shame for taking this long to reach his goal, he feels like a failure. Then he goes kamakazi when he thinks he failed again, this all makes sense.

>badly paced pile of shit. Did we really really need an entire throwaway episode about a space prison and leech monsters right before the ending?
What do you even want? That was probably the only part that felt like a S1-S4 episode, none of this season long arc S5 was doing. Do you see what I mean? If it's not one thing, then someone somewhere will whine about the other. It probably could have been squeezed into another episode, but that would endanger it to seem rushed, and when does a SJ episode feel rushed?
>>
>>92750649
It was expected that an ending would create a divide between the audience, but when we are at the crossroads between what ending to get, Genndy decides to make it the worst possible one instead of a well-rounded ending that conveyed a good message while also bringing a thorough conclusion to the story arc of the characters and the world they inhabit.

>last minute screech portal
>last minute "bittersweet" death
>ignore the season's progressive narrative
>the 50 year journey teaches nothing, the characters act as if nothing besides Ashi every happened
>Aku and Jack don't even fight one another for the last time
>Samurai Drop is erased from existence
>>
>>92750982
>That was probably the only part that felt like a S1-S4 episode, none of this season long arc S5 was doing.

Anon, the complaint isn't that it feels unlike a Samurai Jack episode. The complaint is that Season 5 began with a specific tone that was ultimately abandoned in favor of returning to the completely different tone of previous seasons.

This might sound autistic, but one of the scenes I hated the most about this season was the gods magicking Jack back to his appearance from the previous four seasons. Jack loses his beard, his gaunt appearance, everything, and is just returned to status quo. And the reason this bothers me is that he should have made an attempt to change his appearance back himself. Something like him shaving could have been a scene cementing his change back to his original self. Instead, he just has the change done for him, which feels like it takes away any of his input in terms of the change.
>>
>>92751052
I'm annoyed that Aku barely does anything the whole season. And Jack and Aku barely speak to one another, even though they used to trade words all the time.

I mean really, go back and look at pretty much any fight between them and they talk to each other a lot.
>>
>>92744678
>General Thread
Fuck off
>>
>>92751104
>Jack gets his sword
>Ashi is proud and ready to finish the fight
>Jack comes to understand that the path he had been taking for years had been wrong
>He needs to return to his bushido samurai way
>The rugged look isn't an accurate reflection of his soul
>He shaves, bathes, and meditates
>Samurai Jack is back

Instead we have God Laser Eyes.
Bravo, Genndy.
>>
File: SJ43[1].png (673KB, 1280x519px) Image search: [Google]
SJ43[1].png
673KB, 1280x519px
>>92750578
>that the moral dilemma
I cannot even begin to comprehend this.

The Scotsman died. His daughters would have died. All his friends who came to rescue him were getting pummeled by a demon who had thousands of years to grow stronger and is invulnerable to everything.

That should have been a really obvious clue that the Aku future was a desolate wasteland with NO HOPE, you know, that phrase that was whispered throughout the ENTIRE season? The phrase that Jack said himself to Ashi with that tree, the same tree >>92744917
that the show ends on?

Aku made a future that was in ruins and the show made very very little attempt to hide that fact. When jack is sad about Ashi, he sees a ladybug, the same creature that Ashi saw as a child before sneaking off to see a beautiful world outside of her tower. That was why Jack went back to the past, Samurai Jack, gotta get back Samurai Jack.

I mean, was the ending this freaking hard to understand? Everyone, including some guy who claimed to be a screenwriter, keeps trying to pull this "theme/symbolism/metaphor/etc" card but fails to catch on or mention the themes actually in the show. Ctrl f shows one (1) mention of the tree. You think maybe something that obvious would be mentioned a bit more.
>>
>>92751104
>which feels like it takes away any of his input in terms of the change.
So, like alot of your points, I won't strongly disagree with you, but I invite you to recall his little anger with the spirit monk or whatever that was.

>EARN IT?!?!?! AFTER ALL WE'VE BEEN THROUGH?!?!?! etc etc
I think that was the moment of clarity you're searching for, where he realizes he's been neck deep with his unresolved issues and clears it away. The magic makeover, yeah, but if you're the same anon I replied to, shaving might be seen as "badly paced pile of shit". I'd argue that it was already enough we had a tea ceremony. Thank you for the lesson on Matcha preparation, Samurai Jack!
>>
>>92751234
Yeah, something like that would have been cool. That could have been the start of Episode 8, even if it means we would have missed out on based Zoidberg.
>>
>>92751239
For me it was the fact Jack had shown multiple times throughout the series to save his friends and the people he meets over going to the past. He'd abandon portals left and right to stop Aku for a bit.

Yet despite EVERYONE AROUND HIM WHO HE FOUGHT FOR FIGHTING TO SAVE HIM, he abandons them instead of fighting off Aku, before going to the past. Opting to instead immediately abandon them the second Ashi has Aku's powers, instead of her using them to aid Jack in the fight against future-Aku.

Plus, no 50 year old samurai baby, and who the FUCK was the little thing that pointed Ashi to where Jack was?
>>
File: 1494709139549.png (172KB, 413x438px) Image search: [Google]
1494709139549.png
172KB, 413x438px
>>92749576
>Last second, WAIT I CAN SHIT ON OUT!
>>
>>92751239
The no hope theme comes from a samurai on the verge of seppuku while all other characters, with the exception of Aku and the Daughters, show that the future can still be saved.
Why claim there is no hope when you create thriving communities? How can there be no hope when those that were once enslaved can gather armies and march against the evil overlord?
The world saw in him hope and continued fighting for a better tomorrow.

Conflicting messages make for shit writing.
>>
>>92750102
>Genndy already fucked up by declaring all the time portals were destroyed; so now we are lead to believe he's stuck in the future.
We aren't though, it's your headcanon. If you aren't used to Western animation giving solutions to seemingly unsolvable problems over the course of the series, then I suggest you stop making headcanons at all.
>>
>>92751239
>That should have been a really obvious clue that the Aku future was a desolate wasteland with NO HOPE

wasn't that idea meant to be challenged when ashi saved jack when he was going to commit seppuku? that's how i interpreted the episode with all the side characters coming back

>All his friends who came to rescue him were getting pummeled by a demon who had thousands of years to grow stronger and is invulnerable to everything.
honestly, it feels very convenient how everyone dies at the last minute in the last episode so fans look at jack's "choice" as the correct one
>>
>>92745044
>binge watch
use this method on shitty romance/comedy harem animes instead.
>>
>>92750255
>could have went back to the past numerous times but refused to leave the monks or the spessmen behind
>ashi just goes "lul i have akus powers!" "lets leave bai!" without jack even having a say in it or trying to protect the army of his friends fighting Aku
Are you seriously trying to pass that off as a legitimate criticism?

>Darth Vader fights his son
>then Darth Vader protects his son
>wtf this is stupid he's doing something he's never done before
>>
>>92750503
>>Ashi's mother is barely established as a character. For a villain, that's fine, I suppose, but as the main source of conflict for one of the season's main characters, it makes me care less about her as a whole.
Does Aku being a moustache-twirling bad guy make you care less about Jack?
>>
>>92751465
It does when the alternative could have very well been Jack defeating Future Aku then having all of his friends tell him to use the last remaining specks of Aku's power to fix the future, regardless of what may or may not happen to everyone in it.
>>
File: 1492965727626.png (261KB, 622x534px) Image search: [Google]
1492965727626.png
261KB, 622x534px
>>92751420
>We aren't though, it's your headcanon.

What headcanon? Genndy straight up said before the season even aired that the portals were destroyed. He went out of his way to make sure of that, they even show Aku destroying the final portal in the show! How the fuck was Jack going to get back to the past if Ashi wasn't the main focus? It didn't help that they kept showing that the future can be saved. All of this shit happened i the show, are you retards going to keep saying this same shit to defend this garbage writing?

>>92751371
The whole premise of the show is TO UNDO THE FUTURE THAT IS AKU.
>>
File: QvrhKH1.png (190KB, 839x378px) Image search: [Google]
QvrhKH1.png
190KB, 839x378px
Streaming the toonami Jack marathon live

weebcrew.moe
>>
>>92751493
No, but Aku shows up a lot and gets to do things that make me care about him. Similarly, Jack gets to have a lot of adventures.

Both Ashi and her mother barely got a lot to do in ten episodes beyond some fighting.
>>
>>92751694
Doing God's work.

Hoping, like a man on his deathbed, for a Deus Ex Machina in the form of an alternative ending.

I know it won't happen.
>>
>>92751356
>immediately abandon them the second Ashi has Aku's powers
Okay, are we just ignoring the first few episodes where he is haunted by the fact that a)There are more people who are getting hurt than he can save and b)There are no more time portals? He is weary and Scaramooch even says this out loud
>You took your time getting here, I demolished this town days ago!
It literally, not figuratively, drove him insane. It wasn't immediate at all, it took 50 years.
> in the fight against future-Aku.
Aku is a fun villain and all, but future Aku is nigh invincible. The guy took over the world and the show started people who thought the world was always like that.

>and who the FUCK was the little thing that pointed Ashi to where Jack was?
Plot device, NOW we're talking about actual issues.

>>92751413
>show that the future can still be saved.
By going back to the past, and also undoing the future that is Aku. As a show, it's nice to see characters get saved and have an easier life thanks to Jack, but the final season makes it clear that it is neverending and tiresome. It's not like Jack stops saving people, but he knows it doesn't compare to his REAL goal, which is why he feels guilty.
>Why claim there is no hope when you create thriving communities?
Well I think that's what Ashi was trying to tell him while fighting that ghost/notghost ancestor. What was THAT about? I thought THAT thing was gonna be the final boss, like some super soldier Aku made that made Jack lose his sword so Jack was PSTDing about it.
>How can there be no hope when those that were once enslaved can gather armies and march against the evil overlord?
Oh yeah and they did nothing more than distract. The final fight shouldn't even have to prove how futile it was, the Scotman attempt was the real show.
>Okay this was a mistake! Girls, run!
The hope was for Jack to finish the job, and the job was going back to the past.
>>
File: 4[3].jpg (26KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
4[3].jpg
26KB, 720x540px
>>92751452
>wasn't that idea meant to be challenged when ashi saved jack when he was going to commit seppuku? that's how i interpreted the episode with all the side characters coming back
Looks like that episode is the one that sends mixed messages to everyone.

>honestly, it feels very convenient how everyone dies at the last minute in the last episode
Anon, okay, I can understand where you're coming from, but this isn't one of those shows where there was a third option. Aku was something that GODS were fighting, and only a sword gifted from gods could hurt. I know, he got punched by a robot and it makes for a cool webm, but he rolled over Scotman's army, as a giant bowling ball and rained hell on everyone including that same giant robot. Aku was gonna kill everyone no matter what. That, to me, was really only to serve the purpose of showing how dead and done the future was without Jack, you might say it's convenient, but I'd say the whole say was about that, not the last 15 minutes.
>>
>>92752296
>picture

I kinda wish Aku got gradually more powerful over the course of the show. Jack kicks Aku's ass in Episode 1 and then he never really increases in power in the future.

The future gives him more hiding spots and servants, yeah, but just like in Episode 1, he can get away by using some powers at the last minute. If there was a threat of Aku getting more powerful over time due to his evil hold over the world, I think that would've help ramp up the tension of his fights with Jack.
>>
>>92752121
>It's not like Jack stops saving people, but he knows it doesn't compare to his REAL goal, which is why he feels guilty
He feels that way because there are no more portals and he has no sword. He feels guilty because there is no way he can do anything now besides continue immortality or seppuku.

>What was THAT about? I thought THAT thing was gonna be the final boss
Same. I was hoping it would be a real threat, not someone who is momentarily powerful due to a lapse in Jack's judgement and that is immediately beaten by a couple of words and a single slash.

>The final fight shouldn't even have to prove how futile it was
Yeah it was a futile effort without Jack. But then again, Jack is ready and able in the finale. He had a chance to go 1v1 with Aku while the rest of the gang makes sure the Shapeshifting Master of Darkness doesn't just fly off yet again.
The season made a poor attempt at convincing us that there was no hope while constantly showing us how fine the world is. There was no reason for the shitty attack on Aku's lair. Those efforts should have been in reclaiming the world from his minions. Don't see why the Scottsman had to kill himself to realize he needed Jack to defeat Aku.

>The hope was for Jack to finish the job, and the job was going back to the past.
That message worked perfectly during the other seasons, but here we see how Jack's efforts of saving the future worked perfectly. Communities, friends, Ashi. He made a real difference for everyone. Had he killed Aku in the future with the help of Ashi and his friends then it would have been ok.
Past or Future, both worked fine, so long as you are consistent with the direction you are taking with the narrative. It was a terrible decision to make it a non-choice for Jack whether to take the plunge or not.
>>
Who else is watching the marathon?
>>
File: ded.jpg (206KB, 1536x1748px) Image search: [Google]
ded.jpg
206KB, 1536x1748px
>>92754106
I can't even watch the old seasons anymore knowing how everything ends. But I'm a denialfag so I'm hoping that [AS] pops out at the end of the marathon and is like 'haha just kidding about the whole ending thing guys here's the real one haha'.
>>
File: 1495767372669.png (59KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495767372669.png
59KB, 600x800px
>>92755233
>inb4 super rushed alternative end is even worse
>>
>>92755611
I'd take any alternative/extended ending over the one we got tbqhwy. It is strange that they dedicated the last few mins to a massive montage/marathon announcement, so here's hoping that they replace it with something good.
>>
>>92751239
The running theme of the first four seasons of Jack's encounters is that there is in fact hope for the future. He constantly rescues individuals and entire communities, and we see the efforts of these people to resist Aku. This is true even in season 5.

"NO HOPE" was more of a reflection of Jack's mental state after having lost his sword; he believed Aku's reign was permanent and that he was a failure.

That said, I don't mind the show opting for Jack to return to the past. I do wish it was done with more elegance and with some pause to allow Jack some agency. Ashi dying with such a clumsy final line after they returned just made it that much more grating. Whether you liked Ashi or not, the show did her character a disservice.
>>
So why was his family and his mentors younger again by the time of the wedding?
>>
>>92749277
I do like ashi, but given that there were only 7 episodes left, I agree that there was no way it wouldn't disappoint.
>>
>Jack's rage dies instantly, almost unceremoniously, by eye beam

Bravo, Genndy
>>
>>92745903
The best cartoons are serialized. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>92744678

I dropped Samurai Jack a few episodes when it first came out. After the first episode it was obvious the plot was engineered to go nowhere.
>>
>>92756983

The entirety of the DCAU, you colossal ball gobbler.
>>
>>92757539

Literally all daytime shows back then were like that.
>>
come on guys
that end sequence was art
that was crystalized satisfaction
>>
>>92757560
>Literally all daytime shows back then were like that.

Yeah but most of them were comedies with interesting characters. Samurai Jack was boring to me and the action was not particularly good either.

And I have watched anime since I was a kid so it was weird to see a show with Japanese influence that was so disjointed.
>>
>>92757540
>The entirety of the DCAU

Average at best.
>>
>>92744678
Samurai Jack was just another cartoon where the character has to achieve one goal, but if he/she does, then the show is over. Just like the following
>Road Runner
>Pinky and the Brain
>Invader Zim
>Pokemon
>Its the woluf its the woluf
>>
File: reminder.png (373KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
reminder.png
373KB, 680x383px
>>92757932
>Pokemon
reminder
>>
>>92757932

The joke in those shows is that you want to see the characters achieve the objective even though it's morally wrong, the tension comes from wanting the characters to succeed, but knowing that they shouldn't actually do it.

And Invader Zim made the formula way more interesting by having two central characters trying to achieve conflicting objectives that would end the series.

Pokemon is a complete cop out though. There is no good reason why Ash cannot grow and become a master through the series.

Samurai Jack fails because you actually want to see him succeed and defeat Aku. But the structure of the show leads to endless cockblocking.
>>
>>92751239
/co/ is filled with obtuse children from tumblr and autistic manchildren
both wanted their fanfiction to be canon
what do you expect, anon?
>>
>>92751618
>Genndy straight up said before the season even aired that the portals were destroyed

And he was right, every portal was destroyed. But Ashi is not a portal, she's Aku. He never said anything about Aku sending him back.
>>
File: 14314114.jpg (59KB, 504x243px) Image search: [Google]
14314114.jpg
59KB, 504x243px
>tfw felt absolutely nothing at the wedding scene the first time it aired, just a mix of confusion and anger
>tfw cried like a beta cuck at the wedding scene during the marathon tonight
>>
>>92751898
>Both Ashi and her mother barely got a lot to do in ten episodes beyond some fighting

Why is that necessary? We know what Ashi's deal is with her mother, having more time with her isn't going to change much. Aku can show up as often as he likes, because he never really tries too hard to kill Jack or even move the plot along. Ashi's mother is as straightforward as possible, she has no other purpose than worshipping Aku and killing the samurai, and that's by her own will.
>>
File: 1484494078067.jpg (15KB, 267x300px) Image search: [Google]
1484494078067.jpg
15KB, 267x300px
>>92758895
I feel you, my man.
I wish I didn't, but I do.
>>
>>92758895
What even was that ending, I just feel sadness
>>
>>92750503
>The Daughters of Aku get no happy ending. They're tormented from a young age, raised to hate and kill, die, and are erased from existence unmourned

A happy ending isn't automatically better, anon. They're supposed to be tragic to highlight just how bad this time line is. I like happy endings, don't get me wrong, but shoehorning them in a story out of pity is bad writing. Giving the Daughters a happy ending just undermines their story, and Jack's.
>>
I liked season 5 up until episode 6/7.
>>
>>92744917
Hue hue hue, its funny because I get the joke.
>>
>>92758895
>watch the marathon to get a sense of closure and acceptance/finality

>marathon just makes me more depressed than before
>>
File: 1474954848352.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1474954848352.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>92758895
>>92759083
It could be worse guys.
This could be the last time you see or hear anything official about Samurai Jack.
>>
>>92746312
Its more like this:
Episodic is fine when THERE IS NO CLEARLY ESTABLISHED GOAL. But its bad when there is one. Examples:

Detective Conan establishes the main character getting shrunk by some bad guys, putting him on the path to try and find a way to get back to his size, AND catch the criminals.
Then, the series becomes 90% episodic scooby doo mystery episodes. Sure, some of the series is about this, but the plot should be EQUAL to the episodic parts.
Another example: Steven Universe. From the start it establishes sides. The crystal gems, exist to protect the Earth, and Homeworld, a dictatorship world that once tried to conquer Earth. Anybody that heard this summary for the first time would assume the majority of the show is about fighting Homeworld, and they would be wrong, its in the minority. Most of the time its instead about playing around with the folks in the town where he lives.
All of the shows you named never had any clear goal created early on. When you have a series established early introduced goal, you can't have most of your series be episodic, it needs to be the other way around, or at the very least balanced.
>>
How much do I need to buy Samurai Jack from Adult Swim and make season 6
>>
>>92745903
Its not that being episodic is bad. Its when these shows try to have an overarching plot while keeping the episodic format is when the problems arrive.
>>
>episodic equals bad

Shame you think. Doesn't make the show bad because of it though. Quite the opposite in fact
>>
>>92759114
>shitting on Detective Conan

Negro please, the Scooby-Doo Murder Mysteries are the best part about the show.
>>
>>92751239
Telling vs showing

The last season tried to claim that but there was 4 seasons of Jack travelling through wondrous natural landscapes, helping farming villages, rescuing people for their loving families, sacrificing his chance to return to save people who had shown him kindness and nobility.

The last season tried to say the world was terrible, but in the same breath it also showed natural beauty and loving people that Jack would have previously appreciated.

I understand exactly what you and other people are saying about there being no hope. You don't seem to understand that the series repeatedly shows hope.

There is no congruity to the ending which upsets people, get over it.
>>
>>92759926
>There is no congruity to the ending which upsets people, get over it.

I think it was showing that Jack made a difference to a lot of peoples in those 50 years - in his personal goal he felt he achieved nothing and that Aku still ruled the world, but at the same time a lot of people went unheeded and led happy lives under Aku BECAUSE Jack took up all of Aku's attention, and then settled into a general malaise about him - what Jack did for 50 years was to lock himself and Aku into a stalemate (unwittingly so, just so we are aware) which allowed the world to flourish somewhat, even if it still suffered from Aku's presence and his rule was exercised in his name.
>>
>>92760020
Precisely why it was still salvageable, and why by taking the path of returning in time without giving even a thought or glance to everything that existed beyond Aku has upset so many people and why its seems to have been the wrong choice.
Had there been an emphasis on how hopeless the future was beyond the words of a samurai, who had at the time lost his way, perhaps it would have been the only reasonable choice.
As it stands, it isn't, and I hope Genndy makes an extended/Director's cut DVD/Bluray release with either more scenes, a decent epilogue, or a reimagining of the ending.
>>
>>92760020
From what I recall and the way I saw the previous seasons, there were examples of pre-existing 'good' parts of the world. People were close to making a living.
Furthermore, Samurai Jack's presence was enough for a renaissance of happiness to begin.

>>92760078
>I hope Genndy makes an extended/Director's cut DVD/Bluray release with either more scenes, a decent epilogue, or a reimagining of the ending.
Genndy will 100% not do this.
Learn the lesson the show should have taught: find a way forward with the future, because the past has already happened.
>>
>>92757560
>>92757539
>Literally all daytime shows back then were like that.

You can say the sam aboout that today, most of CN's lineup now are mostly episodic comedy shows with SU and AT being the exception
>>
>>92757665
There were plot driven shhows bck when Samurai Jack was airing such as Batman Beyond, Xyber 9: New Dawn, Redwall, XMen Evolution, As Told By Ginger, TMNT (2003 series), He-Man (2002 version), Jackie Chan Adventures, Static Shock, Justice League/Unlimited, Xiaolin Showdown and more
>>
>>92756983
>>92757845

Nice bait
>>
>>92757540
Superman TAS Batman Beyond nd Justice League/Unlimited di hhave story arcs in thhemm
>>
>>92760502
Agreed
>>
>>92760470
True brutha
>>
>>92760154
I have no hopes that he will, but, at least for me, it would go a long way to trying to cement Samurai Jack into something I could remember with love beyond the simple nostalgia of my youth. Because, to me, there isn't much about this "adult" season that distinguishes the show beyond it being pretty.
>>
>>92744678
Cartoon Network in the turn of the millennium was a network that pushes for syndication programming. You either make a show episodic, or you can fuck off.
>>
>>92760627
I agree too
>>
>>92760701
CN aired shows just Justice League Teen Titans and Batman Beyond
>>
I JUST WANT MY WAIFU back
>>
>>92760674
Isn't that what CN still is today aside from SU
>>
>>92760985
Couldn't really tell you, I don't watch anything on CN, but if it is then I suppose they have enough material that they wouldn't have the slightest interest in broadcasting the final season of a show that no one has seen for 15 years.
>>
>>92760975
Come to think about it superheroes cartoons really were an exception to the rule, all the way back to BTAS. But CN's was generally for syndication-friendly programming beyond that.
>>
>all those mentions of Batman Beyond being plot-driven
Huh? I mean villains do return and Terry exhibits some change over the course of the show, but I'd never say it's plot driven. The plot itself is Terry saving city from whatever shit that popped up this day.
>>
>>92751618
So each time a villain in a movie says something along the lines of "You cannot escape!", you get assdevastated when the hero does escape?
>>
>>92762008
What?
Not that anon, but why would you think that?
>>
>>92750982
you're pretending to be retarded on purpose
>>
>>92751239
>no hope

so you didn't watch the series then? hey thats fine bud, just dont post again till you're 18
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.