[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It been 2 decades. Why do people hate this Simpson episode again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 235px-The_Simpsons_4F23.png (69KB, 235x176px) Image search: [Google]
235px-The_Simpsons_4F23.png
69KB, 235x176px
It been 2 decades. Why do people hate this Simpson episode again?
>>
You already know why. What do you want to talk about?
>>
That the reveal about the real Seymour?
>>
File: Slide428.jpg (61KB, 610x401px) Image search: [Google]
Slide428.jpg
61KB, 610x401px
>>92704995
>>92705147
>>92705178
Y'all know the law
>>
because people cared about the simpsons back then
>>
It heralded when the Simpsons truly, and arguably SUDDENLY, became unsalvageable.

Up to this point the 8th season for a majority of people, and even to some chunks of the 7th season, had begun to show cracks in the show's "slice of life comedy sitcom, but animated" premise. I'm 31, I'm old enough to remember well that even if people could and readily did enjoy seasons 7 and 8 some spoke of how they were getting a *bit* out there in wackiness and guest star usage (Mr. Burns had a son that was basically Rodney Dangerfield? Mulder and Scully popping up for the alien episode? Both kids going to a military school?).

But this episode? Man, it changed everything. Skinner was there since the earliest episodes, he was one of the main secondary presences of the show being Bart's traditional archenemy and the epitome of authority trying to make him conform to society - a very real and relatable enemy to kids then and now. And suddenly being Armand Tanzanian threw all of this stuff out the window. Hell, it weakened all those previous episodes in retrospect in one fell swoop. Even the ending was idiotic: even if Springfield agreed to "never speak of it again" doing so under penalty of death felt like an excessively forced attempt at humor and the citizenry at the time didn't really seem the type to send him off on a train, it was usually (as befitting the "realism" part I spoke of) a straight-up mob.

It's not a coincidence that this is in season 9, which was the start of the show being run by Mike Scully, who was considered to have completely run the show to the ground.
>>
Probably back before the Simpsons timeline was completely fucked and everyone stopped giving a shit.

If this kind of thing happened today, I'd imagine the entire internet having a shitstorm over it.

But The Simpsons has long past its prime and no one cares anymore
>>
>>92705687
Shut up, mulder and scully was a good episode, it could actually worked as a wacky X files episode too.
>>
>>92705778
Oh, like I said, it was enjoyable. I laughed then and now at it.

But there was definitely a sense of oddness over the Simpsons crossing over like that, even for humor, when there was such a big bitchfest over The Critic back then.
>>
>In an April 2001 interview, Harry Shearer, the voice of Principal Skinner, recalled that after reading the script, he told the writers, "That's so wrong. You're taking something that an audience has built eight years or nine years of investment in and just tossed it in the trash can for no good reason, for a story we've done before with other characters. It's so arbitrary and gratuitous, and it's disrespectful to the audience."
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TS-92KVDA

Explains it well enough
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.