[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic news?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: Sonic_291.jpg (297KB, 910x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_291.jpg
297KB, 910x1400px
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/09/archie-comics-still-not-talking-about-cancellation-of-sonic-the-hedgehog/

>Archie and Sega were trying to reach a new deal together, that Archie CEO Jon Goldwater wants to “get away from Sonic” because it’s “not really Archie” and Sega were asking for more money.

>>wants to “get away from Sonic” because it’s “not really Archie”

News flash. No one gives a fuck about Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica or Riverdale.
>>
>Shitting on Jughead
Too far
>>
>>92698158
>Archie CEO Jon Goldwater wants to “get away from Sonic”
Well, now we know why the comic has regularly been getting fucked by editorial decree. I had figured for a while, but it's nice to get confirmation.
>>
Supposed to be Sonic's 25th. Why are they fucking around like this? So close to 300 too. Why not get an exit strategy together; negotiate a deal to issue 300 and get the last two Mega Drive specials out and then end it?
>>
>>92698158
At least we still have the live-action cgi movie.
>>
>>92698460
Because
>Archie CEO Jon Goldwater wants to “get away from Sonic” because it’s “not really Archie”
He's sandbagging it since he doesn't give a fuck about it. Nevermind that it's the most popular(RE: highest selling) comic they've had for over a decade now.
>>
File: beck1l.jpg (92KB, 453x615px) Image search: [Google]
beck1l.jpg
92KB, 453x615px
>>92698158
inb4 Ken penders buys it back or whatever. it was nice reading a more game accurate comic minus the deviantart
>>
>>92698878
I understand that, but why not have enough class to end it properly? Especially when they have ten comics in the can and ready to print? Four Sonic, four Sonic Universe and the two Mega Drives just sitting there ready to go to print?
>>
>>92699114
Penders doesn't have the money to buy the Sonic rights and SEGA will never give him the licenses to make shitty comics for them.

Penders made himself even more irrelevant.

Even if SEGA allows another publisher to make Sonic Comics (which is highly doubtful since the shitfest that happened with the lawsuits), the next people will reboot the comic and ignore Archie.
>>
>>92699782
Not necessarily. If IDW got it (and thats a very, very big IF), they're pretty good at finding a way to use older stuff. Especially if theres fan demand.
>>
>>92698158
fake news. there is literally no source on that info and it comes from a random fag on a sonic forum that barely even posts
>>
File: 1479040743114.jpg (12KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1479040743114.jpg
12KB, 150x150px
>>92698158
>(Goldwater)

Is this revenge for WWII?
>>
>>92699114
>>92699782
Penders sued Sega.
Penders, in general, was a dick to Sega of Japan.
There is no way that SoJ is going to sign a contract with Penders for anything, much less to make the thing he already sued them over.
>>
>>92700141
IDW ain't gonna want to risk Penders/Fullop during their asses. And SEGA would take the license away if IDW got sued by them. It's just not worth it unless Penders and Fullop (and his trademark sueing offices) all die.
>>
File: 3346767-7332609456-26986.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
3346767-7332609456-26986.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>92700682
Is Jughead a Jew?
>>
File: 1495350830808.jpg (35KB, 289x400px) Image search: [Google]
1495350830808.jpg
35KB, 289x400px
>No one gives a fuck about Archie and Jughead
Fuck off sonicfag.
>>
>>92701772
NuArchie and Jughead suck. And so does Modern Waid. Bring back the good ol days!
>>
>>92700829
>IDW ain't gonna want to risk Penders/Fullop during their asses. And SEGA would take the license away if IDW got sued by them. It's just not worth it unless Penders and Fullop (and his trademark sueing offices) all die.

Penders and Fulop have no legal claim to the post-Worlds Collide comics (all of Penders' characters vanished with the reboot, and Fulop sued over reprints of the pre-reboot comics). IDW could pick up right where Archie left off with no problems.

That said, I do think that SEGA would be paranoid enough to not let IDW (or anyone else) have the Sonic comic license. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think all this Penders/Fulop shit has pretty much soured them on the idea.
>>
File: 1482168967381.jpg (615KB, 1000x1538px) Image search: [Google]
1482168967381.jpg
615KB, 1000x1538px
All I want is the conclusion to Mega Drive, a Champions trade, and pic related. Then I can accept Sonic comics dying.
>>
>>92699311
Because this is the second consecutive lawsuit they've had to deal with over it.

Goldwater would rather drop it immediately than bother with closure. The guy us trying to get away from "un-Archie" stuff, do you seriously think he gives a FUCK about closure?
>>
>>92698158
>News flash. No one gives a fuck about Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica or Riverdale.

Nobody gives a fuck about Sonic.
>>
>>92698878
> Nevermind that it's the most popular(RE: highest selling) comic they've had for over a decade now.

No it's not. The Archie digests sell way more, they just don't sell in the direct market.
>>
>>92702632
You get to say that once they launch a core title that fails to break a million units.
>>
>>92702666
Digests aren't comics in the same sense anon is talking about. They're almost always pure reprint. Sonic was the best selling serial publication at Archie.
>>
>>92702770
I wasn't talking about digital. Those sales numbers are for comic book stores only. They don't include newsstand numbers, where Archie makes most of it's money.

Yeah, Sonic was selling better than the Archie comics at comic book stores, but those numbers are abysmal anyway.

Sonic #279 sold an estimated 7,272 copies in comic book stores. That isn't much.
>>
>>92702395
I just want to see the Sonic Man Heroes
>>
Tell me /co/.

What is the best possible future if Archie drops the rights to Sonic?
>>
File: ksssh.jpg (407KB, 911x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ksssh.jpg
407KB, 911x1400px
>>92703468
Just let it end. I'm tired of seeing characters get built up just to be wasted because of some asshole's meddling.
>>
>>92703468
IDW picks up Sonic and we get some Sonic x Turtles crossovers.
>>
>>92703468
At this point, just drop the bomb and move on. Many of the fan base left after the reboot and while the reboot was good, it was gonna be a tough climb back up since 10+ years of story was throw out the window. Add to the fact that the CEO doesn't give a dam about it just end it. At least Shattered World was able to finish (and we got Fighters adapted).
>>
File: tumblr_ok8xk54mkS1rplhyso2_1280.jpg (409KB, 1000x1538px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ok8xk54mkS1rplhyso2_1280.jpg
409KB, 1000x1538px
>>92698158
>All this time we thought Archie had finally pissed off Sega with all the crazy lawsuit nonsense from Penders and his ilk
>In reality Sega just wants more money for the license and Archie doesn't want to make anymore Sonic comics
Why doesn't Archie want our money?
>>
>>92704535
Maybe SEGA is asking for so much money that Archie can't pay for it? Can't blame them, after the court cases, I would want some green if I wanted to trust them.
>>
>>92704978
Raise prices $4.49. I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>92698158
If this was ever actually said, it was pure damage control. They don't want to "get away from Sonic." If they quit on Sonic it's because of a fallout between them and Sega.
>>
Reminder: The only source for this story is some guy on SSMB who claims he has "sources." Take this with a major grain of salt.
>>
>>92705457
I don't believe a statement like this would be made unless it was an official announcement, which it clearly wasn't. So it's pretty obviously fake.

Archie is in real trouble either way though. At best, they're desperately trying to hash something out with Sega.
>>
Yes.
Let it die. At least if they got the legal nonsense settled before it got too idiotic, but they were warned and too incompetent to keep things steady.
>>
>>92705457
this. i've been saying this but no one listens. good to see there are others with common sense here
>>
>>92704535
>In reality Sega just wants more money for the license and Archie doesn't want to make anymore Sonic comics
>Archie doesn't want to make anymore Sonic comics

it's their biggest seller and some sonic readers trickle into the archie series. they WANT to continue, otherwise there wouldn't be an archie action subcategory.
>>
>>92705457
Why'd Archie drop Rockman like a bad habit then?
>>
>>92705861
Because Mega Man wasn't selling anywhere close to Sonic, and the creators spent way too much time trying to convince Capcom they should be writing X instead.
>>
>>92705861
Because it cost too much to continue. Archie probably shouldn't have wasted so much money on a shitty crossover.
>>
>>92705861
Because after Worlds Collide, Mega Man's sales dropped fast and hard. Worlds Unite kept it on life support for a little bit longer, but it was clear that Archie had to pull the plug.

A shame, really. It was a damned good comic.
>>
>>92698158
If they don't cancel a book they don't have to give refunds.

The thing is even if it isn't canceled, the last huge hiatus already made a bunch of stores drop the book, and if it comes back again even more will. They knew they were killing the book when they did this shit.
>>
Honestly I'm still wanting some full colored proper sized trades. I get those and I can be happy.
>>
>>92698878
>>92699311
Because he hates it.
>>
>>92703468
The only possible future is Sega puts even more of a lockdown on the franchise. Since the Sonic franchise now only consists of three characters (Sonic, Classic Sonic, and Eggman) they need to prevent people from making stories with those characters.
>>
>>92706161
archie never gives out refunds, they just transfer you to another book. stop with this meme excuse
>>
>>92705748
Not anymore sadly. Yes at some items ago it was, but sadly their NuArchie has been selling way more and the cash they are getting from the Riverdale TV show it's helping them from the abyss they were in the last couple of years.
>>
>>92706338
well fug i just checked and they are selling more than double what sonic was selling. well even so there's no reason for them to drop a title like that. everyone keeps making excuses and i'm 100% sure the holdup is a mix of the recent lawsuit and negotiations with sega with which characters/game assets they can use in the comics
>>
>>92706031
I was under the impression they blew their fucking budget licensing out all those extra franchises for the crossover, which was poorly received anyways. It sounded like they didn't even want to do another crossover that early but their editor forced it.
>>
>>92706463
The thing is, Archie's higherups are well known to be very shitty people.

One side was famous for being lead by a crazy coot who yelled PENIS PENIS PENIS in broad meetings and the other and now current head all cares is to keep Archie and Archie alone relevant.

I'm honestly not surprised they want to "get away from sonic" because they are probably aware its not a brand that they hold 100% and since they do not care for legacy they'll drop it now that Archie is hot again.

Which will be all the more hilarious when the fad passes and they are found with nothing to fall upon.
>>
Are we still getting a World's Unite omnibus like with World's collide did?
>>
>>92706495
They did, but I believe Flynn's gone on record as saying that Worlds Unite started as a way to keep the Mega Man comic alive. Maybe if they hadn't blown said budget, Mega Man would have stuck around for a couple more years through regular crossovers with Sonic.
>>
>>92707585
I love how the editor inmideatly jumped ship after he did, when it was HIS IDEAS.

>"We need to keep mega Man alive. let us spend even MORE MONEY in all this IPs! who cares if we just have enough for the last third of said vent? Oh btw, don't pay attention to me putting stuff in this briefcase. Nothing weird here."
>>
Stop posting this bullshit article based on nothing but debunked fourm posts.

Archie has in no way willingly given up the lisence. SEGA has not asked for more money, and it would matter until the contract was up for renewal anway.

The only thing we know is the comic is in limbo, likely put in place by SEGA until the legal issues are resolved.
>>
>>92707876
I like rumor and musings as much as the next guy but this Anon is likely correct otherwise they would have explained already. I can't even imagine how persistent some of the diehards are being towards anyone that might have info.
>>
File: Lara-Su_Pro.jpg (77KB, 540x309px) Image search: [Google]
Lara-Su_Pro.jpg
77KB, 540x309px
C'mon, folks. Give it up. The Sonic comic is dead, as we all knew it would eventually die without a proper visionary at the helm, someone who could elevate the comic with sublime storytelling. A true artist. It's time to back a winner.
>>
>>92698158
>News flash. No one gives a fuck about Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica or Riverdale.
News flash. Sonic undersells all of those. Get over it.
>>
>Archie PR: muh still in talks with SEGA
>#292 finally listed as cancelled; Diamond to blame for the blunder of listing the cancelations of #291 and the rest not in chronological order or in one fell swoop
http://www.tssznews.com/2017/05/24/archies-in-talks-pr-continues-no-sonic-in-august-solicits-sonic-292-listed-as-cancelled/
>>
They should stop dicking around and at least finish majority of loose ends.

Gib Ian time to structure a plot that's more satisfying (or at least not as disappointing) as Mega Man #55 and just have a set deadline to wrap as much shit up as possible by issue 300# to have that sweet round number that other comic book adaptations of games won't be able to beat in decades.

In fact, I am sure comic ending would give somewhat of a boost to sales.

And don't forget Sonic Universe, with Sonic Universe ending at #100 team would have even more space to try to satisfy as much crowd as they can.
>>
>>92703468
Sonic Shounen manga.
>>
God, where are the hordes of Sonic autists when you need them? Isn't this usually the point where all the silent fans rally together to show their support for a series on its last breath?
>>
>>92709999
Have you not seen how divided the Sonic fans are? The Sonic fans that hate the comic are laughing at the comicfans for the series possibly ending, the ones who do like the comics are trying to let SEGA & Archie know they want it to continue or have already made peace with its possible death, & the other Sonic fans are too busy screeching about how they want the games to be to even care about the comics.
>>
>>92709999
They don't care about any other canon, but their own.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.