[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comics are a terrible way to tell a story. All information is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1494787129597.png (566KB, 890x388px) Image search: [Google]
1494787129597.png
566KB, 890x388px
Comics are a terrible way to tell a story. All information is given through still images and dialog. There are worse ways to tell a story, but there are many better.
>>
>>92689915
Books are a terrible way to tell a story. All information is given through text. There are worse ways to tell a story, but there are many better.
>>
>>92689915
Still imagery is its own form of storytelling. Modern comics writers have forgotten that.
>>
>>92689936
>>Best forms of storytelling

Books
Film
Animation
>>
>>92689915
>tfw you believe in the medium's untapped potential
Comics are overwhelmingly shit, but the combination of visuals and captions to tell a story is so powerful and easy to deliver, and they require so little manpower / money to make. The highest achievements in the medium are fucking amazing even though they're only a handful. Only books or plays are this cheap to make and they don't require the same content economy as comics.

Movies are so expensive to make they'll always have to bend to the rules of the market.
>>
>>92689915
You just described the most basic tenants of the medium then said it's bad.

You're gonna need some actual substance if you want to criticize an entire storytelling medium.
>>
>>92689915
Comics are cheap to make for an artist though, you only need writing and visual representation, which an single artist can deliver both. This allows a lot lower bar to produce content compared to better mediums for stories like movies, television and animation.

Only one form is even cheaper which is writing and also one of the most powerful mediums for storytelling.

Another thing to consider is that comics are easy to read and distributed over the internet. Comics also have easier to hook readers to commit due to their visual capabilities, which isn't the same for books since almost none prospers on the internet except fanfictions.

So yeah, I think it's not the best, but it has its place.
>>
>>92690465
interesting that movies are built upon storyboards which are essentially comics
>>
Comics can be done without text, it's storytelling through sequential images.
>>
>>92689983
Film at it's best isn't close to animation at it's best. The only thing film has over animation is real people. Everything else can be done better by animation if given the same resources.
>>
>>92690581
I don't separate live action from animation, it's really the same thing but shot differently. With all the CGI movies have today you'd have to call them animation.
>>
File: TastyHead.jpg (37KB, 361x415px) Image search: [Google]
TastyHead.jpg
37KB, 361x415px
>>92690581
That's going to make tasty bait, thank you anon.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.