[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Those unexplained, seemingly pointless scenes or elements in cartoons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Squidward Squid.jpg (33KB, 352x249px) Image search: [Google]
Squidward Squid.jpg
33KB, 352x249px
Starting with this. What was this and why did it happen?
>>
WAIT TILL MR. KRABS FINDS OUT YOU'RE A
>>
Squidward is a squid that doesn't look like one so he turned into a more realistic squid for laughs.
>>
>>92596768
He's not a squid, he's an octopus according to Hillenberg.
>For laughs
There was no joke in that scene anon, beyond spongebob winking and going down the drain.
>>
>>92596718
How fucking young are you? You don't get the movie reference?
>>
>>92596931
>How fucking young are you
Mid 20's
>You don't get the movie reference
No, no I don't know what squidward turning into a squid-octopus hybrid when going "underwater" in his bathtub is referencing.
>>
>>92596718
You don't get it because you have autism.

Please go back to /tv/-Meme and Shitposting.
>>
>>92596718
To add a tad more surrealism. Squidward's episodes work best when:
A) He brings his misfortune upon himself
B) He looks more intelligent than other characters, not necessarily by making other characters look dumber than him
C) He mentally snaps
>>
>>92596718
>Squidward's showercap looks like a Squid head/tail/whatever
I never noticed that.
>>
WE GOTTA GET SPONGEBOB BACK
>>
>>92597763
Why?
>>
>>92597581
Looks like a used rubber about to fall off.
>>
>>92596718
>Squidward goes underwater(while underwater) and looks more like a squid/octopus

That's the joke. It's on the same level as the "fire underwater" jokes, but more obscure.
>>
>>92598008
The water underwater stuff wasn't a joke, it was more of a convenience of relation.
>>
>>92597962
Who you callin' dickhead?
>>
>>92596768

Squidward is actually an octopus.
>>
File: squidward ika.jpg (243KB, 632x1262px) Image search: [Google]
squidward ika.jpg
243KB, 632x1262px
>>92596718
Wasnt he hallucinating at that point?
>>
>>92597763

Man, why did that short feel like an actual episode of Spongebob.?
>>
File: 1480351306489.jpg (11KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
1480351306489.jpg
11KB, 250x333px
What was he bathing in?
>>
>>92598529

Heavier water.
>>
File: 16165416541654.jpg (20KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
16165416541654.jpg
20KB, 500x279px
>>92598529
High salinity water
>>
File: harvestmoon.png (113KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
harvestmoon.png
113KB, 500x281px
>>92596718
>>92596768
>>92597525
A semester ago I had an animation history class and I did my final paper how we interpret multi-medium/style content. Basically I came to the conclusion that changing stylization or medium isn't a shift in the piece's world, but rather a shift in how that world is perceived by the spectator. It allows for extranarrative, partial sublimity that both disorients and engages the spectator, forcing them to look at it in a different way in the larger context of the piece. I suppose that's what squidward being an actual squid did with this scene.

I sound like a pseudointellectual only because I don't exactly remember what the fuck I said in that essay. I should go reread it sometime; I need to ask that prof for a recommendation letter next year.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tveO2nRSk
>>
>>92598529
goo?
>>
>>92599301
That sounds like an interesting read, if you don't mind posting/summarizing it
>>
>>92599516
My internet's spotty right now so I can't pull up online Office and get it.

I remember writing about early animation (like, over a century ago) which combined animated sequences with vaudeville performances to form little "trick films," then about The Three Caballeros and how audiences were creeped out by Donald Duck (a cartoon) being sexually attracted to a real live action woman. Then Who Framed Roger Rabbit and some other stuff like that.
>>
>>92596718
as a bit of surrealism to showcase squidwards cracking sanity under his spongebob paranoia

>>92599301
man, id love to read that
>>
>>92599301
Sounds like a cool paper.
>>
I think that it was meant to be a hallucination of Squidward's to show how crazy he had driven himself.
>>
>>92599301
>Basically I came to the conclusion that changing stylization or medium isn't a shift in the piece's world, but rather a shift in how that world is perceived by the spectator. It allows for extranarrative, partial sublimity that both disorients and engages the spectator, forcing them to look at it in a different way in the larger context of the piece
no no, that makes plenty of sense. Your description actually reminds me of the first time I saw the episode

Squidward lets his paranoia gets to him so much that OP's pic happens
>>92596718
He's so far into his own madness that he loses his humanity but the director did a good job anyway seeing that we're having own ideas about what we think is actually happening. If you have a good imagination you can enjoy cartoons.
>>
>>92596718
I always assumed this was a reference I didn't understand.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.