[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wonder Woman: Odyssey Part 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 157

Let's fucking do this.

A run perfect for new readers! :^)

Wonder Woman #600:
>>92558320
>>
>>
>>
>>92583464
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JMS shat the bed completely during this time at DC
>>
I don't think I can deal with Texas Anon and Bizarro Texas Anon on the same board.
>>
New 52 was a mercy killing
>>
Whoops, sorry bout that, had to take up a lengthy call
>>
>>92583620
I liked the Earth One books, especially Vol 2

>>92583740
One day we shall fight to the death. But it is not this day
>>
>>
>>92584809
Uh yeah, they're called "guns", my dear. They're objectively better than arrows.
>>
I hate this guy, he's the most generic bad guy I've ever seen, especially design-wise
>>
Edgy
>>
>>
That ass doe
>>
A bullshit metaphor, more like
>>
Was this supposed to be funny?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92585047
>ass doe
That seems to be the only "good" thing out of Diana with pants.
>>
>>
>>92584865
>They're objectively better than arrows.
Not true for the super-strong.
>>
Boring-ass page
>>
>>92584909
A point in favor of all those rando bad guys in the Deodato run with Artemis was they all looked seriously fucked up.
>>
>>92585268
I'm mostly against Diana with pants because then I literally can't tell her apart from Donna
>>
>>92585356
Sometimes I wonder how much of a thought process goes into showing the T&A in a comic.
>>
>>92585268
Well, we did have Wonder-thong in the 90's, so I'm not even sure it's got that going for it
>>
That's gotta be a confusing dream
>>
>>92585340
Well, I mostly meant in the sense of "bullets versus old-timey armor"

>>92585370
True
>>
>>92583464
I liked the the jacket Don't tell anyone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwUilIo036g
>>
>>92585592
Wondie looks good for a jacket but I'd take a realistic not-total-cheesecake interpretation of her old jacket costume over this one.
>>
>>92584773
You have absolute shit taste then.
>>
>>92585592
Me too, it was better than the pants
>>
>>92585665
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stay mad, fampai
>>
>>
>>
>>
I wonder what happened to this guy, Don Kramer. Not that I miss him or anything, but he used to be all over DC before the reboot
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92585928
>Don Kramer is the current artist for DC Comic's JSA and the Dr. Fate mini-series.
> I have been under an exclusive contract with DC since 2005.
He's disappeared, and his website looks like it was last updated in 2005.
>>
>>92586117

Creepy.
>>
>>92585047
>>92585221
This kid doesn't seem as impressed as you are.
He must have really wanted that orange doodle. And further more, when has any EVER seen an ice cream truck at night? Suspicious as fuck if you ask me.
>>
>>92586117
>>92585928
I always hate it when you come across stuff like this. Like the dude just died or his life was ruined and nobody gave a fuck.

He had a wife and kids, lived in Seoul. I can't find anything.

What I do find personally more tragic is dudes like Ostrander or PAD needing to fundraise to pay their fucking medical bills or some shit (PAD is a little different with his tax thing, because he *did something wrong* way back but you see it with others). I hope JohnOs is OK now thanks to Suicide Squad.
>>
>>
Sorry bout that, wouldn't let me post for some raisin
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92586299
That's the problem with this industry, there's no real welfare, the most you've got is Hero Initiative, and even that's only a half measure
>>
RIP jacket, you were swanky
>>
>>92586849
Yeah. It's complex on the economic side with you know, what people get paid vs. what gets made but it's the differences in engagement as a fan, as a creator and as a corporation that makes it particularly painful IMO.

S'part of the reason the Captain America backlash has made no sense to me. Even if you feel that way it's not worth convincing yourself that either Marvel or DC, as a company, are good-hearted (and it's Disney and Warner Bros now anyway).
>>
>>
>>92586944
The best alternative is to make something that will net you tons of royalties, and even then that's a gamble since you never really know what will take off (not to mention Marvel is stingy as fuuuuuuck with their royalties)
>>
>>
Oh no! Not... whoever that was!
>>
>>
>>
>>92587095
Those middle two panels are like
>It's a Wonder Woman storytime!
>It's THIS Wonder Woman storytime!
>>
I think the thing I hate the most about this new costume is the tiny-ass symbol
>>
For those unaware, I've been purposefully posting the variants instead of the regular covers, bccause the regular covers suck shit
>>
>>
>>92586917
Nevermind, this is pre-jacket outrage
>>
>>
Oh boy, it's going to be one of those issues...
>>
>>92587300
The Keres are actually one of my fave bits of Greek mythology but nobody ever goes Full Greek with WW well.
>>
Diana using an Uzi? Well that's not very kosher
>>
>>
>>92587393
We need a Vertigo WW book so we can explore Greek mythology in all its weirdness
>>
>>92587421
her face in that third panel is fucked
>>
>>
>>92587596
Kramer is pretty fucking bad with faces
He's also pretty fucking bad with deadlines apparently, because we've got a fill-in artist already!
>>
>>
I can't tell if this is an orgy or just a nude beach that got set on fire.
>>
>>
>>92587815
Orgy on a nude beach on fire.
>>
>>
durrr add it to the collage
>>
Alright, Wonder Woman versus Cerberus! This should be awesome! Like Luke versus the Rancor! Bring it on!
>>
what

WHAT
>>
>>92587570
There's some stuff that intentionally diverges from the mythology in WW canon, even allowing for comic book mythology. I did think Jill Thompson's thing was more like a Greek story in the narrative (which is the most important bit really) and I'd be interested in seeing how that developed.
>>
Well, that was a huge waste of time
>>
>>
>>
I know this is supposed to build up tension, but it just feels lazy and decompressed as fuck
>>
>>
Oh no, it's naked bald rock guy!!! Seriously, who came up with this garbage design? It's horrible
>>
These variants are easily the best part of this run
>>
I like the skintight pants tee bee ehch
>>
>>92588268
This dude sets a fire, just so he can walk through it and introduce himself?
>>
>durr I just follow orders and like killing
Wow, great fucking villain
>>
>>92584714
Like this, I think Earth One is pretty well written, and its ideas aren't as bad as this, but I still find the ideas pretty sophomoric.

JMS is a great writer, especially for TV, just a lot of his ideas are fucking godawful.
>>
>>92588483
Yeah, he's just VERY dedicated to his theme
>>
I think it would've been hilarious if this guy was an evil Steve Trevor, just to make it even more awful. Like, if you're going to write a trainwreck go out all the way, you know?
>>
>>92588031
Should have at least required snausages to get past it.
>>
>>
>>92588536
I say I liked Earth One, but I have that feeling I wouldn't like it as much or at all if I tried reading it again.
>>
>>
>>92585592
A LOT of people like the jacket. I'll admit it looks pretty cool but I still hate the pants, and I don't like it as a replacement for the regular costume.

Her 90's "Wonder Woman No More" costume did it way better.

>>92586117
Probably got tangled with Didio's mafia connections :^)
>>
>>92588458
>vitruvian wonder woman
Cute.
>>
>>92583807
You largely got this run because they decided to do Nu52 in the first place. In other words this was filler from the beginning (and JMS knew this and about the reboot).
>>
>>92588642
I would love for someone to stop a cliche villain monologue just because it's fucking tedious and awful. A writer that just totally admits I can't write for shit so they have the hero interrupt and insult this bullshit "origin" before they're even half way finished.
>>
I hate this kind of layouts, so lazy
>>
>>92586299
I hope PAD gets a big fat paycheck for Aquaman, if not for Justice League with the design being lifted from his own.
>>
>>92588546
If he's so dedicated, why can't he get a costume?
>>
>>92588769
Obviously because costumes are just unrealistic for this modern age.
>>
>>
>>92588769
Because his theme IS being some boring naked fuck
>>
>>92588769
Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the one you want.
Who doesn't want to walk around naked all day?
>>
>>92588738
>Her 90's "Wonder Woman No More" costume did it way better.
It DID and it's also something that could be like, actual clothes? Like just image search "sports bra shorts and jacket" and extrapolate from that. I fucking loved that outfit and you could easily update it in a way that wouldn't trigger people (or would trigger them less, 'cause someone will always be triggered).
>>
>>92588861
Only trve kvlt Greeks understand.
>>
Also, his name is "Dark Man", because fuck being creative
>>
>>92588815
See, how much better if this page came right after let's say this page >>92588594. then go into the fight.
>>
>>92588920
Seems a little racist 2BH.
>>
I'm usually a sucker for "taking you down with me" scenes, but this is just boring
>>
>>92588920
http://www.thescreamcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/darkman1.jpg
>>
>>92588977
I may have just skipped over the page explaining it but doesn't WW have some sort of connection to fire so it doesn't harm her?
>>
Deus Ex Mom!
>>
>>92588920
>Also, his name is "Dark Man"

You mean I could have been reading this in Liam Neesons voice? Really should have lead with that.
>>
>>92589019
From Hestia she has a "sisterhood with fire" but 99% of writers forget about it. I don't think it's ever been mentioned post-Crisis that I can think of.
>>
>>92589066
Does she have any other god-specific powers? I only remember that from your storytimes Tex, people are learning.
>>
I don't think they ever explain how the hell did this happen
>>
>>92588977
Probably because this is one lame villain.
>>
>>
>>92589127
Because that's what mothers are for, to be used.
>>
RIP in peace, jacket
>>
>>92589093
Each god that felt like showing up gave her a specific power: flight and speed from Hermes, strength from Demeter, beauty from Aphrodite, wisdom from Athena, the "eye of the hunter" and sisterhood with beasts from Artemis, and her warm and loving personality from Hestia.
>>
>>
>>92585268
Honestly, what do you faggots have against Diana wearing pants? Why the fuck is this of all things a point of contention?

>>92585379
They're twins, same appearance, but still ultimately much different people. If you can't tell them apart, that's because the artist fucked up. It's not the clothing's fault.
>>
>>92585356
how small is that plane jesus christ
>>
>>
>>92589240
Kinda feels like you could have a concept for a bizarro Wondie there who got powers from the gods opposed to those ones. That's probably already happened or something, IDK.

Has "the eye of the hunter" ever been used?
>>
>>92589219
>Nrama: Diana's costume appears to be changed a bit since she first appeared in the new duds last summer. Were you involved at all in the decision for her to lose the jacket and some of the other elements? Or has that just been an artistic choice from issue to issue?

>Hester: Oh, you caught that? I actually like where we're at now. Jim's design sans jacket and choker. I didn't want to force it, though, so any changes need to rise out of the story.
>>
>>
>>92589292
Well partially I just think it looks dumb, but also a lot of the motivation behind it tends to be "it's sexist!" or "it's impractical!" which is something I really hate with superheroes. It'd be one thing if her normal costume was overly sexualized, but the bathing suit look has never been a sexual thing, it's just her costume.

JMS and Jim Lee in particular like to comment on it being "impractical".

>>92589329
Eye of the hunter basically refers to having really good aim and hand-eye coordination, I'd say over 50% of writers remember she has that and almost all of her ongoing's writers do.
>>
>>
>>92589292
>Honestly, what do you faggots have against Diana wearing pants? Why the fuck is this of all things a point of contention?

Personally, I think it looks bad, And I think DC sabotages every time on purpose. It's a really dark blue and it runs down to the bottom. The lower half just becomes really bland. All you have to do is throw in some red boots Like WW is known for having, but they didn't. They didn't here and they didn't when they tried again to give her long pants again in New 52.

Her lower body becomes a visual black hole in comparison to the gold or silver she wears on her upper body. They could try lightening the blue of the pants. but they don't do that either.
>>
>>92589292
I don't like it because it doesn't fit her theme, it's like if Superman wore tacticool armor ala Arkham Knight, some shit just doesn't fit

>>92589330
>getting rid of the best part of the new costume
lol
>>
Lame first flight scene

MoS did it better
>>
>>
>>92589512
At least they didn't go "no she shouldn't fly because she's Xena"

>>92589477
>like if Superman wore tacticool armor ala Arkham Knight
You mean like in Injustice 2 :^)
>>
>>
>Newsarama: Phil, fans are aware you took over this storyline from J. Michael Straczynski when he left the book, but he's still listed as co-writer. How exactly is that divided? How much of this series is your writing?

>Phil Hester: I'm pretty much the day-to-day writer on the book. The farther we get from 604, the more it's my work. That said, JMS left us the skeleton of a plot and I have certain goals I need to reach that he set out in his initial pitch. 604-610 were me reaching the climax that JMS envisioned for the story.
>>
So uh did we miss an issue or something
>>
Oh, and of COURSE Diana gets a talking cat, because we're not done with the lazy cliches
>>
Seriously, what the hell is going on here? First she tries to rescue some of her Amazon sisters, then she goes after a plane, and now this? What?
>>
>>92589724
It's also kinda dumb, considering Hecate was associated with dogs. But sure, let's make this Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
>>
This cat creeps me out
>>
>>92589724
>Claims to serve Hecate

Very first instinct is to kill it.
I guess it's going to take a little bit longer to get those Hellboy storytimes out of my system.
>>
>>92589833
Diana should get Melinoe as a creepy sidekick, fuck the cat.
>>
She's so modern, guys!
>>
>>92589868
Hecate is also the source of Circe's power, so Diana should probably have killed it, too.
>>
>>92589833
Cat's name is Gal?

FUCKING KILL IT.
My initial instincts were right.
>>
>>
>>92585356
>No movement lines
>No zip ribbons
>Poses only

Chop your fingers off Don Kramer, you're no good to them.
>>
The Morrigan. The fucking Morrigan.

Because when I think of Wonder Woman, I think of Irish mythology.
>>
>>
So now she has to fight some WoW characters?
>>
>>
>>92590120
kek
>>
>>92590120
This is definitely the JRPG approach to fantasy.
>>
>>
Phoom. Not "crack", "wham" or "thud", phoom.
>>
>>92590031
Can't give WW too much shit here considering how much mythology blending Thor's gotten away with.
>>
>I ain't even a pimp, I jus' like to dress this way!
>>
>>
Jesus, you might as well literally rob him blind
>>
>>
>I've killed war gods before
Sounds like a more interesting story than this tripe...
>>
>>
Neat idea in theory, but something about the execution seems off
>>
>>
Uhhh that seems quite... fatal
>>
>>
>>92590694
Best thing to come out of this run.

The drawing itself, not the situation around it, which is like some cringey thing from a shitty movie trying to be self-referential.
>>
>>
>>92591270
Wew, those Wonder Woman reviews really threw you for a loop huh
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92591536
Bringing spears to grenade fights.
rookie mistake.
>>
>>
Whelp
>>
>>92591718
God fucking dammit
>>
bumpu
>>
Sowy, had to go get a snack
>>
>>92592501
Danke
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I hate that last panel. You do NOT depict a brutal killing by showing it from far away, that is amateur-level garbage.
>>
>since the Trojan War
What? Ajax killed himself AFTER the war, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>
>>
Hoo boy, here we fucking go.
>>
>>92592842
Not to mention the phrases "Wonder Woman" and "brutal killing" should never be together.
>>
Shit like this makes me wonder (heh) if they ever considered this new continuity as a "permanent" one
>>
>>92593116
Oh my god this part is so amazingly stupid.

Let's just take Wonder Woman's three most famous villains, throw out their origins and lump them together.
>>
>>92593132
That's not what my friends at GameFAQs told me!
>>
Whoops, something urgent just came up, be right back
>>
>>92593225
Injustice is the new canon.
>tfw someone legit talked about Injustice is how to a dark story and still have fun with it
>tfw lois lane and her unborn child are murdered immediately
>tfw everything about Injustice Diana
>>
>>92593164
Well Artemis isn't a villain but you know what I mean.

>>92593162
It's hard to tell. I think when they originally tapped JMS they probably intended it to be. Or at least were taking a wait and see approach.

Sales kind of plummeted after JMS left so they probably decided to wrap it up. They shoehorned two extra issues to "lead in" to Flashpoint which tells me they were like "we're close enough to the reboot anyway, just stretch it out".

I have to question the logic behind making their hugely publicized revamp jumping on point meant to revitalize Wonder Woman sales a fucking 15+ issue arc instead of a single graphic novel sized story.
>>
>>92593116
Is it weird/bad that I kinda like the idea of Giganta being an Amazon? I mean, she should always always be a mad scientist, but it'd be pretty neat if her initial envy that caused her to try and jack Diana's body in the first place was the result of living on the island, and having to hear how oh so fucking great and perfect the princess is for years and years.
Or maybe even just the magically empowered circus strongwoman she snagged was an Amazon, cause frankly, that's an absurd coincidence to miss and just happen to hit one of those. Maybe something about having her memories and using that for something. I dunno, I feel like Doris being an Amazon has potential of some kind.

Also, why in the fuck does this run's alt-Giganta not have size changing powers? Like, hello?
>>
>>92593799
I guess it's too comic-booky to have somebody grow huge.
>>
Alright, that should be all sorted out
>>
>>92594669
Was about to get worried.
>>
>>
>>92594680
Aw. shucks
>>
I would have said something like "we Jason and the Argonauts now" but just thinking about making that comparison made me physically ill
>>
>>92594822
Totally in character.
>>
She died because the writers are hacks
>>
>>
Oh noes, not Random Amazon #13298!!
>>
>>
>>92594163
Diana suffers a lot from writers trying to make her less comic book-y. Honestly, I find the Greek myth stuff does more harm than good for this franchise, precisely because it tends to cause people to assume it should be grittier and more violent, which simply doesn't fit.

Wonder Woman is a superhero, and makes the most sense when following superhero conventions. It's time people embraced WW as the cape fiction it is, and to stop trying to turn it into something it's not.

And that frankly goes for all capes. STOP TRYING TO MAKE SUPERHEROES DARK AND GRITTY. Superheroes are fucking silly and are at their best when fully embracing the bugfuck insanity.
>>
>Amazons assemble!
...seriously?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>92594998
Mostly agreed.

Near the end of Perez's run, there were apparently a lot of complaints that the Greek mythology stuff was getting stale.

WML and Byrne's runs were both meant to directly address this. And then people complained there wasn't ENOUGH Greek stuff, and so you had Luke's run.

Basically I think there should be some Greek stuff but when you go too far in that direction you get Azz's run and people wanting her to not have powers and fight monsters all day.

>STOP TRYING TO MAKE SUPERHEROES DARK AND GRITTY
Eh, it can work. I think they can take themselves seriously, but I hate when they try and downplay the silly aspects. If you treat your content with respect and play it straight, it doesn't matter how inherently crazy the content is.

Morrison is great at this, IMO. He tells serious stories but you accept the insanity of the world because he's not trying to hide it or be self-referential about it. Well, usually.
>>
Wait, where'd that third amazon come from?
>>
Oh, so you see guys, whenever Diana acted like a violent thug it was totally their intention! Of course!

onlypretendingtoberetarded.jpg
>>
>>
>>92595168
>because he's not trying to hide it or be self-referential about it.

Self-depreciative I think is the word you're looking for. Like there's no shame in his references?
>>
>I've had enough of this shitty comic
>>
>>92595265
I thought of self-depreciative but that's more for "aren't superheroes dumb and crazy?" or "wow wasn't my old costume impractical?", self-referential is just pointing out how crazy the situation is, which isn't ALWAYS groan inducing, depends on the tone of the story
>>
Since when the hell is this a thing?
>>
>>92595296
Maybe if she didn't want to hang him she shouldn't have tied a literal fucking noose around his neck.

Damn Yanks have no idea how lassos work! :^)
>>
>>92595370
I don't recall ever seeing someone fucking die while Diana had them tied, so I suppose technically it could have always been a thing despite never happening.
>>
Kind of weird to bring up the whole mercy aspect after slaughtering entire armies but whatever.
>>
>>92595168
You get the same kind of complaints with Thor, so it's not just a Wonder Woman thing.
>>
>>92595265
I think he just does it straight-faced.
>>
>>92595168
Hell, even George eventually got tired of the Olympians and had them fuck off for a while. I generally dislike injecting Greek myth shit unless you go in an urban fantasy direction with it. I might actually tolerate the Olympians if they went all American Gods with them instead if them faffing about on their mountain and forcing themselves into every storyline.

>If you treat your content with respect and play it straight, it doesn't matter how inherently crazy the content is.
Exactly this. A good example is, oddly enough, Cry for Justice. The subplot with Congo Bill and Mikhail, a sapient gorilla and a blue alien who shoots lighting out of his chest is really the ONLY good thing in that seven issues of garbage. These two are ridiculous, but what makes it work in the sober portrayal of the emotions they feel, and the sense that they are kindred spirits looking to avenge their murdered loved ones. Really makes me wish the whole book was just about these two.
>>
>>
What's with all these random amazons getting killed? Am I supposed to feel something?
>>
Anyway that's it for today, we'll wrap up this shitshow tomorrow
>>
>>92595536
Hermes and Ares were really the only gods in Perez's Wonder Woman that were memorable at all.
>>
>>92595536
>urban fantasy direction
Personally I hate that shit, it was everywhere in YA fiction when I was in high school.

And this series itself is urban fantasy.

I say either play Greek mythology straight or don't do it at all. Ares Buchanan is a good example of it coming off really stupid.

My favorite parts of Perez's run are the parts between arcs with Diana in Boston, and I do love WML's Losses storyline. So I'm totally cool with the superhero angle. You gotta have a good balance. I think Rucka tried to but leaned a little too far in the Greek direction, while Simone's focus on the superhero angle made the mythological aspects feel forced.

>A good example is, oddly enough, Cry for Justice
Robinson's great at it, IMO. Though the actual quality of his writing isn't always so great...
Starman is another perfect example. You have someone whose costume is as fucking dumb as Starman, but they don't act like it's dumb, so it feels totally natural.

>>92595611
Common modern storytelling trope to have random people get killed to show how badass the next threat is, it's like jobbing but even more pointless.

>>92595662
Thanks for the storytime, Saxet!
>>
>>92595611
You might feel something, if any of them had personalities. It's the same problem as Odyssey of the Amazons, all these people are cardboard cutouts with no character, so their deaths leave no impact. They're just red shirts who serve the purpose of dying to show that shit got real, yo.
>>
>>92588696
Man, I liked the first time I've read and then after rereading, I liked even more.

earth one supes is really good.
Thread posts: 244
Thread images: 157

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.