[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to avoid a generic CalArts style?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: 896789.png (228KB, 540x332px) Image search: [Google]
896789.png
228KB, 540x332px
How to avoid a generic CalArts style?
>>
by never drawing
>>
>>92532693

study preston blair
>>
>>92532693
Possessing actual talent.
>>
>>92532693
Don't go to CalArts.
>>
>>92532693
>Even the cereal mascots
For fuck's sake, this is ridiculous.
>>
>>92532693
Don't draw in a CalArts style, easy as that.
>>
Draw what you like rather than what "works".
>>
File: by Ryan Matias (bonzairy).png (319KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
by Ryan Matias (bonzairy).png
319KB, 1280x828px
>>92532693
We can't.
>>92532864
>Earlier this Summer I was approached to work on a re-design of the iconic “Lucky Charms” brand characters. They were looking for a fresh take on Lucky and the Marshmallows, something that was more in line with current American TV shows i.e. Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Steven Universe etc. In the end my design wasn’t chosen, but I was very honored and had a great time working on such an iconic character.
And you wouldn't believe the design they ended up choosing instead
>>
Genndy McCracken was a calarts style
>>
>>92532693

the concept of having cookies for breakfast sounds great and yet cookie crisp is probably one of the worst edible substances known to man

how do they get away with it
>>
File: Logo-with-green-1-294x300.jpg (28KB, 294x300px) Image search: [Google]
Logo-with-green-1-294x300.jpg
28KB, 294x300px
>>92533033
aww man
>>
>>92533033
That's literally just an Irish Wander.
>>
>>92533033
>And you wouldn't believe the design they ended up choosing instead
fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47nGCKNAtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MqNhd6kofI
>>
Start drawing eyes as set inside the head rather than circles or spheres floating in front of the head and you're 90% there.
>>
draw ELBOWS, KNEES and NOT bean mouths
>>
>>92533829

>couldn't even be bothered to get a guy with an irish accent
>>
>>92532693
Nuke California to the Stone Age.
>>
>>92533923
whoa! woah! calm down, they don't pay us enough for that shit. who the fuck you think I am, leonardo Davinci code?
>>
>>92533791
more like an unholy mix between wander and a shitty steven universe gemsona.

But yeah, his face screams wander.
>>
/co/, you do know this stuff is for kids, right?
>>
>>92534036
fuck off silly rabbit! I'm 38 and I can eat cereal for dinner if I fucking want
>>
>>92534036
great, the next generation of artists will all draw like this
>>
>>92534036
yeah

that's why it's important
>>
>>92532693
Until Chex put doom wads in fashdrjve again I won't give a single shit about cereals boxart.

Eat the food not the cover.
>>
File: 1494476136114.png (187KB, 758x631px) Image search: [Google]
1494476136114.png
187KB, 758x631px
>>92534069
just like this generation of artists drew like how cartoons where in the 80's and 90's, anon?
>>
>>92532693
No bean head, no noodle limbs, shaped eyes that follow perspective instead of being floating circles. Those are the three horsemen of the calpocalypse.

I'm at the stage of my art learning where I'm not quite good enough to develop my own style, but good enough that I can rip off other peoples' so I'm trying to learn how to avoid that right now.
>>
>>92532693
Learn anatomy
If it wasn't for cartoon Network all Cal arts graduates would be unemployed
>>
>>92534072
It's important to be upset over children's cereal mascots? Wouldn't it make more sense to be upset over the sugar content or something?
>>
>>92534036
kids deserve better.

I grew up during the 90s. In france we had loads of anime and 80s cartoons like 80s TMNT, street sharks, inspector gadget (and he-man, renamed as MUSCLOOOR) and shit like that, and then we had dexter's lab, PPG, and all that cartoon network classical goodness on national tv and some awesome french stuff like MALO KORRIGAN, SPACE TRUCKER!
Kids these days in france have shitty cgi stuff about soccer. And nu-PPG which was then cancelled after like 2 months.

French cartoons nowadays suck. If I had kids, i don't know if i could let them watch that shit
>>
File: 1410282550094.jpg (19KB, 321x285px) Image search: [Google]
1410282550094.jpg
19KB, 321x285px
the main difference between vidya and cartoons. cartoons started looking very fluent and beautiful but with the advance of technology they now look like dogshit. when vidya started it looked like shit but with the advance of technology now it looks very fluent and beautiful.
>>
File: how to make waifus.jpg (52KB, 336x475px) Image search: [Google]
how to make waifus.jpg
52KB, 336x475px
Say no more OP.
>>
>>92534171
Are you fucking me right now?

Every fucking 3D game is going for MUH REALISM

I'll take low poly or high quality sprites over modern design sensibility anyday.
>>
>>92533829
>Wanting to appeal to kids with current shitty cartoon style
>Rapping
>>
Dude draw a bean
then draw a small sideways bean for a mouth
then two circles for eyes
now add some noodly arms
ur a cartoonist now bro
>>
>>92534220
sadly most people only know about american videogames (lol need for speed, fifa, grand thetft auto, minecraft, goat simulator, etc) and think that's all there is, but japan has a bunch of pretty good looking games which will never be released in our market and will vanish into obscurity forever
>>
>>92534119
>how cartoons where
What where you thinking
Do you know were you are
>>
>>92533791
You say that like it's a bad thi- oh right it's one of these threads, carry on

Long as we're all pissing in the wind, did anyone consider that maybe animation looks cheaper nowadays because fucking none of our benevolent corporate overlords give the slightest shade of a good goddamn about the arts? Also because our economy's been in the shitter for longer than our newest summer crop of posters have been alive, so nobody wants to splurge on traditional styles and methods that date back to more prosperous times?
>>
>>92532693
I'm not an animator so I might be completely wrong but the more you add contrapposition (overlap, straights against curves. etc) the more you need to interpret as you inbetween and that's probably either too expensive, too skill intensive, or too susceptible to inconsistency hiccups for the Korean slaves to handle.

Maybe the storyboarders aren't given complete freedom over the shots, so the issue comes weak storyboarding? The choice of a very round style with strong colors isn't necessarily bad or boring, see Wander Over Yonder or Gumball.
>>
>>92534355
Generic 10's anime style isn't much better.
>>
>>92533480
>>92533033
I can give a redesigned Lucky a pass, he's been redesigned before. But if you ever look at the other characters on the back of the cereal box they're all knockoffs of Candy Kingdom characters.
>>
>>92532693
Pitch your show to Nickelodeon or Netflix, because you're pretty much forced to use that art style if you're gonna work for CN or Disney.
>>
>>92534639
okay then uh...videogames suck?
>>
>>92532693
... am I the only one that thinks that that girl looks like a black Mabel Pines?
>>
>>92534728

Videogames suck because they are to short, they focus to much on graphics and severely lack engaging content.
>>
>>92532693

>How to avoid a generic CalArts style?

You can´t.
CalArts style work because is simplified that dont use complex angles or detailed backgrounds. Add circular eyes and C-shaped ears. If you look at most creators' concept art, it looks nothing like that, but apparently studios insist on giving everything the CalArts treatment to keep the animation relatively standardized and easy to draw, which saves animators a lot of time and effort.
>>
>>92534787
that's why kids like minecraft, it's a never ending game, shitty graphics, and mechanical repetitive engaging content
>>
>>92534874
>never ending game, shitty graphics, and mechanical repetitive engaging content
So, Pokémon or Animal Crossing then
>>
>>92532693
actually give a shit about art
>>
>>92534119
This style is incredibly lazy, with little use in moving pictures and expressions.
>>
>>92534728
>>92534787
>>92534639
>>92534355
>>92534220
You guys get stuck in this retarded echo chamber where you begin to believe that literally every thing is bad and ugly. There's literally no pleasing any of you. Bob Clampett could be reincarnated with ten times more skill and create a beautiful cartoon with a rich engaging story and fluid animation and 90% of /co/ would still rag on it because you're all a bunch of talent-less dipshits who've convinced yourselves of your own hipster rhetoric.

I don't like that lucky charms shit it looks stupid. I don't care for the cal arts style at all. What I do care about is how you claim every fucking modern cartoon or video game or anything that else that contains animation either looks like cal-arts even when it doesn't or that it looks like shit for some other reason. Why don't you just fuck off to your basement with John K and circlejerk to Looney Tunes all day? Everything is fucking 'generic' to you morons. I remember seeing a redesign thread a while ago and someone came up with a 'cal-arts' esque design for the Red Guy from cow and chicken and you would think that he defiled the Mona Lisa for how much REEEEEEing there was. And /co/ loathes Cow and Chicken any other day! But because it was touched by that filthy cal-arts hand it's now Sacred Cow and Chicken.

I'm tired of your shit, I'm tired of this negativity. I need some goddamn positivity in my life.
>>
Evasive dodging
>>
>>92535032
no
>>
>>92532693
You can't
just give-up and accept it
or die by your own hand
>>
>>92535032
>I don't like that lucky charms shit it looks stupid. I don't care for the cal arts style at all. What I do care about is how you claim every fucking modern cartoon or video game or anything that else that contains animation either looks like cal-arts even when it doesn't or that it looks like shit for some other reason. Why don't you just fuck off to your basement with John K and circlejerk to Looney Tunes all day? Everything is fucking 'generic' to you morons. I remember seeing a redesign thread a while ago and someone came up with a 'cal-arts' esque design for the Red Guy from cow and chicken and you would think that he defiled the Mona Lisa for how much REEEEEEing there was. And /co/ loathes Cow and Chicken any other day! But because it was touched by that filthy cal-arts hand it's now Sacred Cow and Chicken.

If only this were a sticky you had to read before posting
>>
>>92533829
well it makes sense out of a marketing perspective
>>
>>92534160
Man I understand nostalgia but I tried rewatching some of the old stuff I grew up with and I found it unbearable. You just grew up.

The only objectively terrible thing about modern cartoons is that the authors feel entitled to push their agendas on impressionable kids instead of the universally accepted good morals of old cartoons like honesty and justice. I'm liberal and hearing Rebecca Sugar candidly admit that she wants to push unscientific and potentially damaging gender theory on kids makes me shudder.
>>
>>92532693
CalArts style is specifically engineered for both animators that can't draw well and producers who don't want to spend a lot of money.

You can't win.
>>
>>92532693
People don't watch TV anymore so there isn't a budget to make good animation anymore. It's just plain capitalism
>>
>>92535032

Dude I like cartoons and HATE Anime ( used to be indifferent but something happened that set me off)

I am sayig that games nowadays are to short, that is true, 4 hours, 4 fucking hours is the average of AAA games, and I am not playing indie shit, I basically replay old games, and it is a mess to search for them now due to the amount of indie shit.
>>
>>92536447

If it is so easy to draw how come I cant? i always make the cheecs to big and pointy.
>>
>>92534174
>Trading in one autism for another
>>
>>92532693
Develop your own style instead of copying someone elses
>>
>>92536447
I don't like drawing the rounded mouths you tend to see in this style.

They're actually harder to draw than mouths with points at the ends.
>>
the calarts style is recognizable because of how the facial features are laid out.

You can tell from the girl in the OP that the style works across many different similar shaped characters and is easy to change details on (almost a buckly 8U style)

The problem most likely stems from the need to make everything else more interesting while also maintaining a small budget; the character is simlified down to its base features but then you have the wolf who has many more features on it.

You can get away with it by giving something boring like the girl a bunch of wacky different colors to hold children's attention
>>
I can't wait for the day when this style dies out, I'm so sick of just about every bit of animation suffering sameface. It's even worse than when Nickelodeon let Klasky make 80% of their shows, at least then it was mostly exclusive to Nick and that one McDonalds OVA. Here, there's literally no escape, every bit of animation looks not too much different than the other, as if everyone gets their animation from the same machine, and they really don't have any other reason to not do it since it's so cheap and doesn't require so much effort.
>>
>>92535032
What a baby.

Protip: not everyone is the same person.
>>
>>92534130
The secret is to rip off a bunch of more obscure people who are different from eachother and begin to merge the styles.
>>
>>92534036
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>92536901
>Dude I like cartoons and HATE Anime
Me too, but I still think Tezuka's pretty cool in that while he may he started the modern design tropes, his work still looked like he wore his Fleischer and Didney influences on his sleeves giving it something of a "hybrid" look. He was also definitely one to try experimenting with new styles and designs as opposed to conforming himself into a few set design archetypes a lot of other artists in the industry fall back on that partly came out of a gross misunderstanding of his "Star System" concept.
>>
>>92538811
>his "Star System" concept.
is that the same as the "actors" thing Arakawa does?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.