[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 20

File: Artstyle_logo.jpg (5KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Artstyle_logo.jpg
5KB, 300x200px
Your favorite and least favorite art styles

Just talk about stylistically what you like and dislike in anime and comics and cartoons, I think it could be thought provoking
>>
My personal favorite is Aim for The Ace which is sometime I wish was more common. I also wish there was a good term to describe this style
>>
File: Excitement.jpg (33KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Excitement.jpg
33KB, 500x281px
Ed Edd n Eddy will always be my favorite art style. It was like the perfect combination between the 90's and 2000's styles. It was wacky, but not TOO wacky. It never tried too hard like Ren and Stimpy or Cow and Chicken.

The switch to flash in the school seasons was flawless. Literally just EEnE in higher quality.
>>
Also this show gets crapped on a lot here, but it was basically a pioneer in terms of flash animation. During a time when people thought flash might take "the soul" out of animation Foster's really proved that you could have a unique and fluid style using the new technology.
>>
My favorite artstyle is Craig Mcrakkens, and my least favorite is probably Rebbecca sugar's and Pen Wards, mainly because of how much that artstyle spread on to other artists and is pretty much a cancer to todays art community.
>>
I've got a strange love-hate feeling towards Bryan Lee O'Malley's art style. He's great at limbs & hands, but then his heads are these awkward, oftentimes formless blobs.

A lot of people ape his art style too so it's hard for me to tell what's his work and what's some shitty fan art. I spent like 20 minutes looking for a decent example but so much stuff looked off that I wasn't sure if it was actually his.
>>
File: seancallowayfreeze.jpg (344KB, 1396x648px) Image search: [Google]
seancallowayfreeze.jpg
344KB, 1396x648px
I wish Sean Galloway worked in animation more.
>>
>>92530398
I don't why but I like jrjr art style and I hate liefled art style
>>
File: 1488310729737.jpg (66KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1488310729737.jpg
66KB, 500x384px
I fucking love every art style by HB, the hot girls just as much as the silly looking men, those designs are great to look at even when the shows have basically no animation at all.

I can't stand all the shows where the character have perfect circle eyes, like Gravity Falls, Simpsons and Family Guy
>>
>>92530676
I would love a cartoon that looked like this. It's minimal but this intriguing and not overly cute
>>
File: Spiderman_ramos1.jpg (166KB, 623x960px) Image search: [Google]
Spiderman_ramos1.jpg
166KB, 623x960px
I know its an unpopular opinion but I really like Ramos' art especially on Spider-Man because I've always envisioned him as a lanky kid you might never thing was strong as he is. And I like the way he does his exaggeration, it's been a big inspiration for me.
>>
File: Steven-Universe-title-1280x768.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Steven-Universe-title-1280x768.png
1MB, 1280x768px
Pic related's art style really pisses me off for some reason. also the fact their lips are half the size of their head is annoying.
>>
>>92530794
I figured it out. It's the minimal monochrome backgrounds, cashing against the boring monochrome character designs.

The characters aren't colorful enough to pop on the background in say like Sailor Moon
>>
>>92530475
>I wish there was a good term to describe this style
70's shoujo? Old school shoujo?
Btw nice to see someone else knows about the existence of this anime.
>>
>>92530794

Agreed. Its a huge shame too, the designs in the pilot were crazy appealing.
>>
>>92530871
Aim for the Ace is absurdly popular for an old as dirt shoujo sports series. Don't know why you wouldn't expect anyone else to know about it.
>>
File: rov03-01.jpg (83KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
rov03-01.jpg
83KB, 480x360px
>>92530871
I didn't even think of looking into decade specify Shoujo. Thanks friendo!!

I just love the eyes
>>
>>92530749
Go watch Spectacular Spider-Man.
>>
File: SuperDumped07.jpg (565KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
SuperDumped07.jpg
565KB, 1280x1920px
Dave Cooper. Love how round and weird and jelly-like his stuff is.
>>
File: tumblr_ny2ratyf3o1s2pocso1_540.jpg (253KB, 540x754px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny2ratyf3o1s2pocso1_540.jpg
253KB, 540x754px
>>92530398
Like:
-80's-90's anime style
-Early 60's minimalist cartoon style.
-most artstyles that use cross hatching

HATE:
-That weird disney+anime art style thats so common on tumblr.
-anything overly detailed
>>
>>92530398
Favorites:
-Neo UPA style used by Gendy Tartokosky and those who worked with him (pic related comes most to mind)
-SpongeBob (seasons 1, early 2, 4 and 10 especially)
-Batman: The Animated Series
-John K during his prime (Ren and Stimpy S1-2)
-Style used by most Disney Renaissance movies

Worst:
-Home Adventures of Tip and Oh (human designs especially)
-Summer Camp Island
-Johney Test post Flash switch
-12 oz Mouse
-Mr. Pickles
>>
File: IMG_0469.jpg (185KB, 1280x843px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0469.jpg
185KB, 1280x843px
>>92532578
Forgot pic
>>
File: IMG_6288.jpg (285KB, 496x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6288.jpg
285KB, 496x1200px
Sage has to have one greatest art styles I've ever seen, it's like anime cuteness combined with badass realism in the most perfect of ways
>>
File: ACs2-1.jpg (1MB, 1800x2767px) Image search: [Google]
ACs2-1.jpg
1MB, 1800x2767px
>>92530398
I like stout figures and strong lines. Dave Johnson and Eric Powell are probably among my favorite artists, I love Johnsons composition and designs on things like covers or promotional pieces.

The art style in Squirrel Girl pisses me the fuck off, I've seen deliveries in draw threads that suggest they deserve more of an opportunity than what's shown on those pages. And While not attractive it's not entirely wrong or unskilled and it could be a matter of taste but seeing how simple it is and then the lack of background in most panels it's just the laziest shit I've seen in a comic book ever.

I never liked Adventure Time (stylistically) because of the characters, primarily noodle arms.I thought the background work was pretty good though. Spectacular Spiderman and Lilo and Stitch might be my favorite animated works for style. So In animation it's Sean Calloway and Chris Sanders that stand out to me.

Anime, I couldn't even tell you. I don't think there's a style or show that really sticks out, off hand, as memorable. I'm sure their must be exceptions but none are really coming to mind.
>>
File: peter bagge.jpg (285KB, 1168x1156px) Image search: [Google]
peter bagge.jpg
285KB, 1168x1156px
I've never really liked Peter Bagge's art, although his comics are really strong in spite of it. If I had to pick examples of comics that are "substance over style" he'd be pretty high on the list.

In general, I find it hard to get into most stuff that's ugly on purpose, although Basil Wolverton is fascinating.
>>
>>92534549
reminds me of that SHIT Bendis wrote and drew, it was disgusting
>>
>>92532657
I get where you're coming from, but I think this sort of art is more appropriate for illustration rather than comics. The colors especially muddy the page as a whole and make it harder to read.
>>
Bill Sienkiewicz
>>
>>92530398
My favourite artstyle is still the Butch Hartmann. I really really like these thick outlines.
>>
>>92534719
Who's Bendis? You mean Brian Michael Bendis I'm guessing?
>>
>>92535956
Dude's not bd with art direct. Honestly his art kind of reminds me of older CN more than anything nick's really made.
>>
>>92533406
You'd probably like some of the stuff studio trigger and somewhat later gainax did. They have a couple of thick outlined shows if I remember correctly? If anything you'll at least like Panty and Stocking's style since its remonisant of the thick outline period of cartoon network. Also redline and dead leaves, you'll probably love those styles. Plus most of those are western influenced so it'll probably be easier to get into. Something like katanagatari might be something you like too. Maybe Kino's journey too?
Sorry if none of those suggestions work or if all of them kinda suck.
>>
>>92530398
I hate cartoony. Shit like Humberto Ramos is by far the ugliest shit for me and I will avoid it like the plague.
>>
>>92530676
Wasn't he involved in spectacular spider man?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-13-22-59-25.png (133KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-13-22-59-25.png
133KB, 1080x1920px
This is my art style
I could go for other looks, but this one is what I enjoy

Its supposed to be Poe Dameron in Ravagers style clothes
>>
File: tumblr_m6k2k7myaE1qkjv91o1_400.gif (207KB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6k2k7myaE1qkjv91o1_400.gif
207KB, 400x220px
My art friends always get mad at me when I say this, but i unironically think problem solverz has my favorite art style. I think more people would love it too if the plot and writing were altered for the intricate designs to come through better, the problem solving format didn't do justice to the inventiveness of the art.

Some of the scenes had so much to fun stuff to look at, no two viewings was the same. I believe the decision to only adhere to RGB primary colors for the design really captured the nostalgic days of browsing geocities websites and Web 1.0 sites, exploring and discovering new treasures each and everyday. I know, "but the colors are everywhere! It flashes 6 colors a second! It looks like its drawn by a 2 year old!" all valid criticisms if the art were trying to be a regular cartoon, but it wasn't; its like condemning a rap album for being bad rock music. I remember someone before mentioning how this was proto-vaporwave, and in a way i can see it. It was never meant to evoke the feelings Adventure Time or Regular Show did, it was meant to evoke the feeling of old internet, a newly formed past, killed by social media and the political star, and within that goal, it will always capture my heart.

It also makes it better that this show's art is one of a kind (in terms of animated shows). It just further cements the feeling of old internet: one of a kind, shunned, outcasted, and then homogenized and shat up (Stone Quakers)by big business and scared revolutionaries.

Did i just write 1500 words on the beauty of fucking Problem Solverz, yes I, apparently, did. Fuck my life.

Oh, and no, I don't really hate any particular art style (maybe SU, only because Sugars initial artstyle was so inventive).
>>
File: 1495124219901.gif (641KB, 288x465px) Image search: [Google]
1495124219901.gif
641KB, 288x465px
I love flat and geometric stuff, you know the aesthetic that was dominant in the 00's but for me it goes beyond that, I dug myself a collection of UPA cartoons and other mid century stuff with this style
>>
>>92533406
I really like AT but the art style does put me off too, mostly the main characters who are all pretty boring to look at.

It can do cool stuff, like I like how they use their flat colors to create some cool scenery and the backgrounds are usually interesting and some minor characters are able to get highly detailed cool looking designs, but the people we focus on most of the time are boring looking. It doesn't help that they cut back on exaggerated facial expressions so now the already simple faces of the characters look more consistently blank.
>>
>>92530500
>he likes what is probably the only major art style worse than CalArts
>>
>>92538347
The problem I think is that it just has WAY too much going on. It genuinely kind of hurts to look at all those colors just moving and stuff. The level of saturation it has doesn't help that either. Like less than 10 shows have actively made my eyes hurt and water and its that one, and stuff like electric soldier porygon doesn't even really bother me much. Like it's not a bad style in stills sometimes but with the amount of things it has going on while in motion it can honestly be a bit of a sensory overload while also just being kind of irritating on the eyes to look at. Like I kind of like some of the screenshots but even then it's a bit hard to look at.
>>
>>92539419
You mean the simpsons artstyle.
>>
>>92530398
My favourites are (that I can recall off the top of my head) those from the Disney Renaissance Films, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Genndy Tartakovsky and Mike Mignola.

Plus there's a bunch of artists of random shit I've come across on the internet who I genuinely put up there with those sorts, but can't point you to.
>>
Andrew Hussie's style is really nice. I mean both his pre-mspa and posts-mspa. It's a real fucking shame he hasn't drawn in either for a good four years
>>
>>92539812
That style is way better. It's barely even comparable really.
>>
File: homer.smile.gif (9KB, 163x249px) Image search: [Google]
homer.smile.gif
9KB, 163x249px
>>92540091
Aside from the skin color, kids hair being a part of their skin, and chins they're increadibly similar. Similar eyes, similar body styles, "cal arts" smile. What's the difference honestly?
>>
>>92530937
They looked like something you'd find in an obscure direfct to video late nineties movie to me for some reason.
>>
>>92540548
The fact that the outlines aren't crudely drawn, whether on purpose or not?

Also, if you think EE&E is CalArts... you're insane.
>>
>>92537273
Thanks for the suggestion I have seen dead leaves years ago and just totally forgot about it, I did like it though. And I've never watched Panty and Stocking but I've seen it around. The rest I've never heard of but I'm going to check it out. Thanks again.
>>
>>92542905
the simpsons and "calarts" cartoons both have thin clean outlines though. Also I suck with abriviations so whats' EE&E mean?
>>
>>92544367
>Also I suck with abriviations so whats' EE&E mean?
Ed Edd & Eddy.

Also, the problem with most modern "CalArts" Style shows is that they go off model because of a lack of standards of the show's animation staff. There's a difference between a character changing appearance for the sake of exaggeration/drama, and a character changing height or looks for no apparent reason other than the people animating are either rushed, lazy or just shit.

Oddly enough, I consider SU to be the polar opposite of the Simpsons when it comes to this- The former is sloppy as fuck, the latter is too perfect.
>>
>>92546399
Isn't it mostly SU that does that though? I never hear anyone complain about other shows like Gumball star vs gravity falls and even clarence doing that. In fact shows like adventure time, which influenced what many consider the "cal arts" style is often compared to Su to show just how little consistancy there is. There's also the fact that cal art style is a term that's also been used to describe "disney wanna be" styles like iron giant so even then there's inconsistancies to what it means. Also there's the new powerpuff girls and ben ten but I'd argue that the reason those look bad has to do with taking older designed characters and trying to modernize their look without actually wanting to change their designs to accomidate the new style and because the artists don't really seem to care with powerpuff girls at all from what it sounds like and man of action's just not a good studio from what I remember. Along with this the simpsons were kind of like that in their early times when they had klasky csupo workign on it and when it was part of another show entirely. Like if you look at these modern shows they really do have a lot of simpsons inspiration in their styles and even the creator of clarence has said that a lot of people working on these modern cartoons are from the simpsons or are inspired by it heavily. A notable one I can think of off hand is rebecca sugar even. She even has a comic she did a long time ago where a brother bonds with his accident disabled brother through just quoting the simpsons. Like most modern cartoons do look either like the simpsons or like they were inspired by those cartoons. That also goes for a lot adult cartoons too since a lot of them just like varied versions of the simpsosn or family guy too.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.