[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Hobbes Real?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: calvin-and-hobbes-friends.jpg (154KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
calvin-and-hobbes-friends.jpg
154KB, 1024x768px
I think he is real because in one comic he is pouncing on Calvin from behind while Calvin is standing near a couple other kids in the snow. One of the kids is looking behind Calvin at Hobbes with fear in his eyes, this means Hobbes is real since the kid is scared not confused but I can't find this comic, can anyone provide it for me?
>>
File: IMG_0769.jpg (2MB, 3510x2550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0769.jpg
2MB, 3510x2550px
Honestly it doesn't matter if Hobbes is real or not what matters is what Calvin gets out of his adventure wether it's a moral lesson or just another fun adventure
>>
>>92477278
maybe he is real but only through a kids perspective
>>
can somebody post a picture of the comic mentioned? I want to make sure I didn't imagine it
>>
>>92477278
Congratulations, you missed the point.
>>
>>92477447
I just really like fun and imagination, at least I'm not like the people who come up with depressing theories based on hobbes being fake
>>
>>92477433
You definitely did. No other human interacts with alive-Hobbes in the comic.
>>
>>92477278
It doesn't matter.
>>
>>92477433
If I saw an autistic kid having a seizure in the snow with his stuffed tiger toy I'd be shocked as well.
>>
>>92477325
>>92477503
there is a comic where Calvin's mom sees Hobbes as real for a second
>>
>>92477541
Burden of proof is on you buddy.
>>
>>92477539
Calvin wasn't pounced yet, Hobbes was still in the air and the kid was looking behind and above Calvin
>>
>>92477278
It's made pretty clear he isn't and Hobbes is just introspection but it's done so well he feels like another character, honestly this is my favourite comic strip of all time and I'm sure it's your's too.
>>
>>92477541
I think it was during the racoon arc
>>
>>92477557
actually my favorite comic is garfield
>>
>>92477583
An easy google search says otherwise.
>>
IIRC, Waterson said in one of the books that it's not really magic or perspective or anything. Hobbes is just one way for Calvin, and one way for his parents and other folks
>>
>>92477705
Source?
>>
>>92477278
No, because he's fictional.
>>
>>92478200
Tenth anniversary book.
>>
>>92477278
You just need to place yourself in the shoes of a six year old with a plush toy.
Of course Hobbes isn't real, but for Calvin he is, so it doesn't really matter.
>>
I don't think so. In addition to being Calvin's best (possibly only) friend, Hobbes also seems to represent parts of Calvin himself that he's in denial about.
Hobbes has on occasion pointed out that the amount of energy Calvin expends on avoiding work often exceeds the amount of energy it would take to just complete his work,
Also, Hobbes has an interest in girls, which Calvin is still at the age where he's supposed to find them icky.
>>
File: chair.jpg (370KB, 599x1178px) Image search: [Google]
chair.jpg
370KB, 599x1178px
>>92477278
>>92477541
I've read all the Calvin & Hobbes strips multiple times, but these descriptions don't sound familiar.

The comic that made me wonder about Hobbes is that short arc where he tied up Calvin onto a chair. Usually Hobbes' actions are pretty ambiguous; maybe he's doing things, or maybe Calvin's just pretending that he's doing things. But the chair incident was the one time where it seemed like Hobbes did something that would've been difficult for Calvin himself to do alone.
>>
>>92477278
the point is that calvin's view of the world shapes it as true for all people. It's a metaphor

that said, narratively there are a few occasions where Hobbes basically has to be real for the story to function (e.g. Calvin tying himself up vs hobbes tying him up)
>>
>>92480514
Looks like Calvin got belted right and proper.
>>
File: Hobbes.gif (101KB, 900x282px) Image search: [Google]
Hobbes.gif
101KB, 900x282px
I think he is real.
>>
Hobbes is real. It's Calvin that is imaginary.
>>
http://www.craveonline.com/site/184521-calvin-without-hobbes-insanity
>>
File: final calvin.jpg (76KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
final calvin.jpg
76KB, 500x675px
No, Hobbes is not real
>>
File: hobbes trash.jpg (324KB, 554x731px) Image search: [Google]
hobbes trash.jpg
324KB, 554x731px
Hobbes can rest now, where it belongs
>>
>>92482949
>>92483494
>>92483522
fuck you
>>
>>92481563
GOOD!
Serves him right, the little brat!
He should be disciplined until he learns to behave.
They shouldn't be tempted to put him in the hospital,though, since that would raise some questions.
>>
>>92477278
The comics don't actually come to life until you realize that Hobbes isn't alive.

It's like Andy and Woody.
>>
File: IMG_3066.jpg (311KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3066.jpg
311KB, 1280x800px
>>92479616
>Hobbes also seems to represent parts of Calvin himself that he's in denial about.

This... 100% this.
>>
>>92481891
Hobbes is the voice of reason inside Calvin's head.
>>
>>92484305
What? Are you ok anon? Did a belt rape you?
>>
>>92485087
Just look at him.
I bet his parents regret having him every day of the year!
>>
>>92483494
Objectively false.
>>
>>92477278
Yes.

But Watterson decided to not explain shit.
>>
>>92480514
There is the chair, the tuna, the snowgoons, and the duplicator. Aside from these there are the times he needs Hobbes to bring down ladders and to climb on his back to reach mailboxes

These are times that goes beyond imagination and into reality bending territory
>>
Hobbes is real to Calvin, and that's all that matters to the strip

We'd be asking the same questions about Mr. Bun if the strip had been Susie and Bun
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.