[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbing of Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 412
Thread images: 56

File: not_his_name.png (364KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
not_his_name.png
364KB, 1000x333px
Tonight, we have a rare occurrence! A legitimate surprise. I'd stop short of calling it a 'twist' yet, but I have a feeling this is just a setup to a bigger development.

Personally, I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. I believe in Willis's ability to ruin pretty much anything.
>>
>>92474604

>That's not his name

Well whatever that means
>>
Reminder that there is no such thing as an engineering major at IU
>>
>>92474604
>That's not his name

Is that the name of his getaway driver then? Also who wants to bet Willis dangles that little tidbit in front of us for a few months?
>>
>>92474604
>That's not his name.
>I'll implicitly acknowledge that he's one of our interns, but his name isn't Ryan.

What are the odds that somehow Ryan's name not actually being Ryan (or only claiming on his paperwork that his name isn't Ryan) is some kind of a twist to let Ryan get away and drag on this conflict for another seven years?
>Okay, so the warrant is out for the arrest of Ryan? Well, I'm not Ryan! I'm Bryan! You can't arrest me now, suckers!
>>
>>92474604
Just want to say hi and thanks to VA Anon for his riveting editions of the comics and Willis's seizure explanation. The seizure thing sounded pretty much exactly like what I imagine Willis's voice to sound like.

I asked for wimpy Ryan, and it made me feel a lot better, so thanks for that.

This is GirlAnon, and I'm still having stalker issues. Now I can imagine that voice instead of the one I've worked so hard to get out of my head. Making progress on getting Facebook to keep him from messaging me with a new account.

>>92474604
So like... "Ryan" went out of his way to give Joyce a fake name? And if they were going to go to the police... they wouldn't have found the right person... FFS.

Also, Frieda's nose looks worse every time he draws it.
>>
File: 2016-09-20-ryan[1].png (420KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-20-ryan[1].png
420KB, 1000x333px
>>92474604
So... did he register as a fake name at his job, or did he co-ordinate with his getaway driver to use his fake raping alias. Just how far are his friends going to protect him?

Also, if Frieda knows who Robin is talking about, how much does it really matter what his name is? Just get the cops on him when he shows up at the next volunteering event.
>>
>>92474652
>>92474683
>>92474760
>>92474783
>>92474842
That means Ryan is that kid that was in Sal and Marcie's flashback (I think it was their flashback). I forgot what the kid was called, though.
>>
File: 2011-09-29-ofcourse.png (343KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2011-09-29-ofcourse.png
343KB, 1000x333px
>>92474842
>Also, if Frieda knows who Robin is talking about, how much does it really matter what his name is?
My guess is that it matters because of whoever his father is. We know he's a pastor's son (I get the feeling he was telling the truth about that one), and his dad probably has some major political clout inside the GOP somehow
>>
>>92474604
Also, what the fuck is Becky hoping to actually change by messing with Robin's social media account? It's not like her lies will change anything, right?

I hope she goes to jail for identity theft.

>>92474876
Leland, but I think Willis threw a fit when people suggested they look similar. That's a weird way to obfuscate a twist.
>>
>>92474842
Watch it be he texted his getaway guy while running saying "ok, yell a fake random name when you get here to throw them off my trail"
>>
File: 2016-09-02-landed.png (432KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-02-landed.png
432KB, 1000x333px
>>92474783
Sorry to hear about the shit you're going through. I dunno if Facebook staff will get to you right away, though. I hate to say this, but your best bet might be to either send Mormons to your stalker's house or to fake your own death.

>>92474876
T'was Leland on the schooling grounds.
>>
>>92474671
And? None of the characters have an engineering major.

>>92474842
Obviously he has crafted an entire fake identity he uses for rape related purposes.
>>
>>92474842
>Hey man, I need you to be my wingman tonight. I need you in the Accord with the motor running because I'm either dragging out a girl and I don't want to deal with their bitch friends or we need to jet if shit goes south. Also, remember, I'm Ryan tonight.
unless he gives gift bags of weed every week or they get equal shares of out cold pussy, this is way too much shit to expect from your drinking buddy
>>
>>92474954
Did that kid kick up and right with his left leg while standing on one leg?
>>
>>92474783
>>92474954
Also,
>"Ryan" went out of his way to give Joyce a fake name?
He never gave Joyce a name. I think we only knew his name was Ryan thanks to the tags.

>>92474842
those fucking batman skate-boots
>Also, if Frieda knows who Robin is talking about, how much does it really matter what his name is?
That's exactly what I was saying. Frieda's outright confirming that he works for them by saying that "Ryan" isn't his name.

>>92475001
The Dumbiverse traded in the science-fiction and fantasy aspects of the Walkyverse in favor of an extremely loose interpretation of the laws of physics.
>>
Not like "Ryan" is gonna come back to work now. He probably already suspects that they know he's a rapist and will try to arrest him
>>
>>92475074
We already saw him stalking after Dorothy and company. I predict that he tries talking with Dorothy in a bid to find out where Amazi-Girl is.

And, since this is Willis who is playing God, "talking" in this scenario means "cornering in a public area and loudly making demands and intentions known".
>>
>>92475024
>The Dumbiverse traded in the science-fiction and fantasy aspects of the Walkyverse in favor of an extremely loose interpretation of the laws of physics.

I'm actually going to try working in a version of Dina and Amazi-Girl into a Delta Green game if I can ever get one off the ground for that exact reason.
>>
>>92474604

Calling it now: He cuts away to something else going on in the next strip.
>>
File: 2013-08-23-oneday.png (382KB, 600x884px) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-23-oneday.png
382KB, 600x884px
>>92474604
Hm. I wonder if Ryan was actually his real name in the Walkyverse?
>>
File: 1494090124615.png (2MB, 640x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1494090124615.png
2MB, 640x2862px
>>92474604
This conflict has been going on so long it has made attempted rape a boring plot point. Now its tied with an even more boring plot that was converging with other boring plots. It feels like this is building up to a massive resolution of most of the conflicts but I'm doubtful this will happen. See you all in 2020 when we see Ryan or Mary again.
>>
So I'm guessing >>92474842 is named Ryan because it's the first actual occurrence of the name being uttered. So, I guess the tags are just a huge lie for no reason. It feels like a sort of... unsporting way to set up a twist, using metadata like that. Maybe that's just me though.
>>
File: MaryCarlaWall2.jpg (972KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
MaryCarlaWall2.jpg
972KB, 2048x1536px
>>92475402
>See you all in 2020 when we see Ryan or Mary again.

Well, Mary got a new character model recently, so we should be seeing her relatively soon.

>>92475429
Personally, I tend not to question why Willis tags things as he does. There's a tag for "Star Wars", I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>92475177
Two strips would be a crazy short scene even for his increased cutaway rate
>>
>>92475429
he might edit ryans tag when we get his real name, like he did with jocelyne
>>
>>92475447
>Personally, I tend not to question why Willis tags things as he does
http://www.dumbingofage.com/2011/comic/book-1/06-yesterday-was-thursday/settlers/
Like this one I just noticed while I was just looking at the Ryan tag, where he tags Settlers of Catan AND Settlers of Canaan for no goddamn good reason. It's not like he tags Nintendo DS every time Amber is playing it.
>>
>>92475001
i cant unsee it
its like mc escher drew his legs
>>
>>92475429
Willis has changed the tags before. Before the trans reveal, all the tags read "Josh" afterwards they were all changed to "Jocelyn" even on strips prior to the reveal.

I'm guessing >>92474954 is correct and he's actually Leland from the flashback, which would explain why the flashback is there in the first place. Even though it'd be a plot development that makes the world seem incredibly small and revolving entirely around the protagonists.
>>
>>92474604
>thats not his name
is it ciaran?
>>
>>92475507
>>92475569
That seemed somewhat fairer, because that's what the character was known as in universe.

In this case, if the name of that strip being Ryan really does mean that it's the first utterance of his name, Willis gave an anonymous character a fake name for... 6 years?
>>
>>92475569
>he's actually Leland from the flashback, which would explain why the flashback is there in the first place.
I believe the flashback occurred because of a Patreon poll. From what I recall, Willis asked who people wanted to see in a flashback, and they voted for Sal.

>Even though it'd be a plot development that makes the world seem incredibly small and revolving entirely around the protagonists.
Oh, no, that's already a definite thing. This is a campus with several thousand students, and yet everything we see seems to happen to this specific set of twelve to fifteen students.
>>
>>92475581
That would fit with >>92475219 if we're really watching him do yet another Walkyverse retread with a twist
>>
>>92475606
See >>92475219. Ryan was already a character from the Walkyverse, being transplanted over to the Dumbiverse because Willis has done that with every character it seems.

He claimed that it's only been recently that he's managed to finally create new characters.
>>
>>92474965
Yes there is
>>
>>92475581
That'd be one hell of a villainous plan.

>And now for my masterstroke; I will move to America, create a fake identity so thorough I will easily be accepted to public university in the Midwest and gain employment as an unpaid intern for a Congressional campaign, from there I will be able to carry out my rape spree unopposed!
>>
>>92474604
more than once i've been tempted to read this shit because of these threads, but a single panel of this alone can be so infuriating and contain so much shit writing by itself it scares me what would happen if i were to expose myself to more than the odd panel ITT.it's like going from being near the microwave to bathing in chernobil while hugging a nuke.

should i?
>>
>>92475678
Godspeed. If you need any help, we will always be here for you, unless we aren't at home. In that case, try /adv/.

>I guess he signed up for the GOP stuff with a fake name. Or Ryan is his middle name, or something equally pedantic.
I do indeed wonder how Willis plans to justify why Ryan would have given Robin's campaign party a false identity to work under, especially if he didn't appear to be under stress or paranoia of being caught for roofing a girl once.
>>
File: JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon1.jpg (864KB, 1001x1998px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon1.jpg
864KB, 1001x1998px
I had compiled these for the next time Ryan came up, so I'm posting them.

I kinda like the "not his real name" twist, but the way he went about it is obnoxious as hell.
>>
>>92474652
It means he gave a fake name at the party?

How did he even find that party in the first place if he wasn't anyone's friend?
>>
>>92475668
>>92475678
Willis has apparently listed Carla's major as engineering and Comp Sci at different times.
>>
File: JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon2.jpg (882KB, 1000x1998px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon2.jpg
882KB, 1000x1998px
>>92475773
Weirdly enough I didn't use Ryan in the file names at the time.
>>
File: JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon3.jpg (748KB, 1000x1666px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceMeetsThePastorsSon3.jpg
748KB, 1000x1666px
>>92475797
And that's that.
>>
>>92474652
>>92474876
>>92475778

What it really means is that this dumb plot is going to be dragged out for another unacceptable length of time
>>
>>92475773
>>92475797
>>92475824
Nice choice for a background color. Fits naturally with Willy's palette
>>
>>92475797
>>92475824
I didn't know Ryan's attempt at rape was so physical.
>>
>>92475447
"Nipple" has a tag on the Shortpacked! site, for equally uncertain reasons.

http://www.shortpacked.com/searchcomic.php?search=nipple

Star Wars also warranted a tag on SP!'s site.

http://www.shortpacked.com/searchcomic.php?search=star%20wars

>>92475450
He's done it at least once, but I don't remember what it was.

>>92475569
>Willis has changed the tags before. Before the trans reveal, all the tags read "Josh" afterwards they were all changed to "Jocelyn" even on strips prior to the reveal.
Which makes it a spoiler for anyone reading the comic for the first time and happens to check the tags.

>>92475606
>Willis gave an anonymous character a fake name for... 6 years?
That is exactly as petty as I can imagine Willis being. He's going to claim it was a grand set-up for anyone dedicated enough to check the tags all this time.

>>92475748
Does rage make you happy? Do you want to shed tears of sadness every time a good opportunity is wasted?

Run while you can.

>>92475756
Thank you so much! Your support (as a group) has been amazing, and it stuns me that I used to be afraid of 4chan. I honestly feel a little blessed to have found all of you. I mean, part of that is because of fun literary discourse and analysis, mixed with the fun parts of gossiping. But still. Lots of love to all of you.

>>92475824
Still love the punchline of the second strip and the interesting complexity of Sarah and Billie's relationship in the third strip.
>>
>>92475866
I got the colour by checking his site on archive.org, so that's how it would've actually looked.
>>
>>92475773
>>92475797
>>92475824
Why am I supposed to not want bad things to happen to Joyce again?
>>
I'm starting to wonder if he included Ryan's name in the tags so we'd all be screaming every time someone tried to find out his name. That's referred to as "dramatic irony," which is when the audience knows something the characters don't, which creates tension among audience members.

>>92475866
I agree. It did make me notice that Sarah's hair basically merges in those two panels in the last strip, but that's not the color's faults. It's Willis's for bad line work.

>>92475887
The best thing is that Joyce doesn't remember it.

Willis had a really terrible reason for making it so obvious. Looking it up right now.
>>
>>92476044
>That's referred to as "dramatic irony," which is when the audience knows something the characters don't, which creates tension among audience members.
THANKS CAPTAIN LITERATURE
>>
Reminds me of the Skyler incident. It's gonna take years of abuse before he's brought forward.
>>
>>92476044
That is indeed what dramatic irony is, but our knowledge of what Ryan's name was is not an application of dramatic irony. If we had learned in the comic what Ryan's name was, that would be an application of dramatic irony as it would only require the context and presentation of information from the actual comic, rather than any external sources.

A proper application of dramatic irony would be, say, if Dorothy and Walky began talking about Ryan while Ryan himself was visible in the background following the pair.
>>
>>92476020
You're actually supposed to want both good and bad things to happen to Joyce. It's a very basic storytelling trick to hook audiences. Take one character, make them cute and endearing to the audience, then put them in danger. The audience becomes enthralled by the tension of her (it's almost always a woman) being in danger and experiences a subsequent catharsis and relief when she's saved. That creates a reward response in your audience's heads, they begin to associate the character being in danger as part of an emotionally fulfilling story.
>>
>>92476171
I believe Anon meant that he thought Joyce was obnoxious and wished her ill.
>>
>>92476127
Well now it kind of reminds me of Richard III when the two characters referred only to as "First Murderer" and "Second Murderer" go to kill Clarence as a hired hit. You sort of assume they will be ruthless killers, but one ends up having a conscience and refuses to do the deed.
>>
>>92476303
That's still not really dramatic irony. It would be dramatic irony if Clarence were talking about how blessed he was to be alive within earshot of the two murderers, both of whom had been identified to the audience as murderers.
>>
>>92476059
My superpower is knowing things about literature! I could literally write hundreds of pages just about Dumbing of Age and literary analysis/interpretations. It is an endless well of utter crap, but the varieties of crap are diverse enough.

>>92476127
I'm gonna say that's because Willis has a very poor grasp of storytelling. Willis heavily relies on external sources. You have to keep up with the comments, both of his Tumblrs, Slipshine, and every other comic he's written in order to completely understand everything happening in the comic. He uses outside sources as a crutch but says we don't need them. This example of using the tags to name Ryan is the closest he'll ever get to using something resembling a good literary technique.

>>92476171
Also a cheap literary technique. A false sense of danger can be good when applied well (like when you hear noises in a horror movie and it turns out to be a cat, which is cliche now, but whatever), but doing it too often cheapens it. Joyce's danger is spread out too much, rather than being too close together, so there's that.
>>
File: Tony Stark27.jpg (454KB, 691x579px) Image search: [Google]
Tony Stark27.jpg
454KB, 691x579px
>>92475024
>those fucking batman skate-boots
When did Batman ever have skates?
>>
>>92476551
The "Batman and Robin" film. Granted, the movie had ice skates instead of roller skates, but the same bending of physics continues to apply.
>>
Facts about Ryan based on Willis's Tumblr:

Posted 5 years ago:
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/11395079843/im-just-curious-i-really-liked-todays-strip
>Q: I'm just curious--I really liked today's strip, but I feel like Ryan should've at least shoved her into the bathroom or something before the glass smash, because him screaming about how he's going to rape Joyce in a very public place strikes me as a bit rash even for someone as irritated as him. Was it trying to move the plot along faster, or is him yelling going to be noted upon, or is there something I'm missing?

>A: I really didn’t want to end a strip on Joyce being shoved into a bathroom. That’s not the sort of cliffhanger I want to do. It was a very important goal of mine throughout this storyline to not leave Joyce in a state of imminent, impending rapey danger for the 24 hours between strips. So if Ryan makes his move in a strip, he has to be subdued by the end of it. If some subtlety is lost in that, then that was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

Posted 4 years ago:
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/49182454791/so-in-your-personal-opinion-what-did-you-do-to
>Q: So in your personal opinion, what did you do to change the execution of Ryan and Ruth as opposed to Ryan and Joyce in Dumbing of Age (or at least I think it was him who drugged her?)

1 year ago:
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/131715025652/ryans-never-getting-caught-is-he
>Q: Ryan's never getting caught, is he?

>A: A huge reason I had Joyce put a gaping gash on his face is that at the time I wasn’t sure if we were going to see him again and I wanted him to suffer.
>(I’m still not sure.)
>>
>>92475889
>Does rage make you happy?

i mean i guess i do browse 4chan regularly.
>>
>>92476581
>>92475130
>>92475887
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/11412863308/i-get-that-i-wasnt-suggesting-you-not-end-this
5 years ago:
>I don’t think the scene works unless Ryan reveals exactly what he is, no moderation. Joyce has to understand instantly. It can’t be something that could be mistaken for sarcasm. Joyce has been giving him the benefit of the doubt all night. Ryan’s true self has to get her attention right here, right now. Minimizing his anger doesn’t create that catalyst for her snap back into reality.

Dumbest reason ever.

Also, here's another fun fact for you:
There's a reason why most people only do one space between sentences, unlike Willis. The convention of two spaces invented because of typewriters. All the letters were the same size, so two spaces made it easier to see when a sentence was starting and ending. Using two spaces is archaic because that's no longer an issue. Letters look different enough from each other (when you don't use typewriters) that it's completely unnecessary and just makes you look old-fashioned.
>>
>>92476253
thank you
>>
File: 2012-01-27-undone.png (123KB, 550x818px) Image search: [Google]
2012-01-27-undone.png
123KB, 550x818px
Updates and reminders for all!

Straight:
1. Mary
2. Rapin’ "Ryan"
3. One of the Rachels (there are two)
4. Agatha (blonde Mormon)
5. Dorothy
6. Walky
7. Joyce
8. Amber/Amazi-Girl
9. Sarah
10. Sal
11. Jocelyne/Josh (likes guys) (Joyce’s sibling)
12. Roz
13. Joe
14. Jacob
15. Lucy (Malaya’s roomie)
16. Ken (pointless, works at Galasso’s)
17. Raidah (horrible person, hates Sarah, dating Jacob)
18. Jason (blonde math guy)
19. Penny (redhead Brit)

Bisexual:
1. Ruth
2. Marcie (mute, not deaf)
3. Billie
4. Danny
5. Mike (whichever preference spites you the most)
6. Sierra (footloose and fancy free)
7. Grace (dating Mandy, lives with her)
8. Mandy (looks like Willis)

Gay:
1. Becky
2. Leslie (Gender Studies prof)
Becky
3. Newspaper editor-in-chief (Daisy)
Becky
4. Ethan
Becky
5. Kaitlin (Becky’s old roomie)
Becky

Asexual:
1. Carla
2. Galasso? (pizza man)

Generally undefinably not straight:
1. Robin
2. Malaya
3. Dina
4. Bryan (Tales of Sinterest)
5. Sayid (Tales of Sinterest)
6. Alice (Billie’s old friend)

---“Joyce and Walky” Dump---
http://pastebin.com/5MwZPhsE

---Patreon-Only Bonus Strips---
http://imgur.com/a/X5kU9

---VA Anon’s generous voice-over work---
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pi3rlni1v293g/DoA_and_Shortpacked

Free Pinups
http://itswalky.deviantart.com/gallery/37947681/Pin-Up-Week

ACO Smut collection:
http://desuarchive.org/aco/thread/1131190

NEW Doc:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl9qih1wxs3p515/DumbingofSmut.docx?dl=0

Don't screw this up. Please. The newest pics will need to be posted on here or e-mailed to me at [email protected].

Also, DoA site shows that there's a new Ethan pinup or something involving him.
>>
>>92475024
>That's exactly what I was saying. Frieda's outright confirming that he works for them by saying that "Ryan" isn't his name.
And they're going to try some sort of loophole around that, I bet. I mean, it's not like there's someone else with that giant scar, but his name's not Ryan, so what do I know?
>>
>>92475773
I'm actually really surprised he didn't give Joyce a name to work with. He should know that girls like her will totally imagine what her name would sound like if she had his last name. You're right that Willis has gone a loooonnnnng way to avoid directly stating his name, and if that's literally only because of whatever twist this next strip will bring, I will be very annoyed.

Also annoying is that he still doesn't know if Ryan will be caught or not??? I know this is a "long haul" comic for Willis, but seriously? That seems especially wishy-washy, even for him.
>>
>>92474604
>oh no that was a fake name? that means we only have where he worked, what he looks like, and where he goes to college!
>>
>there are people in tis thread who legitimately enjoy this shitty comic
How do you live with yourselves?
>>
>>92474604
Becky does know that that's identity theft, right?
>>
Wot if they reveal Rapin' Ryan has become a transexual, thereby making him unassailable and they get arrested for deadnaming her? He can become Raping Ry-Anne!
>>
>>92476581
>That’s not the sort of cliffhanger I want to do. It was a very important goal of mine throughout this storyline to not leave Joyce in a state of imminent, impending rapey danger for the 24 hours between strips

It always baffles me how Willis has chosen a format and a schedule that actively works against his artistic goals at all times.

JUST SUCK IT UP AND DO TRIPLE-SIZED SUNDAY STRIPS, YOU HACK. EVEN GARFIELD CAN MANAGE THAT, AND JIM DAVIS HASN'T WRITTEN ANYTHING NEW IN DECADES!
>>
>>92476253
>>92476757
of all DOA characters you wish Joyce ill?
>>
>>92476484
In this case it's not a false sense of danger in the classic sense, but rather one due to the unwillingness of the writer actually following through.
>>
>>92476484
Now that I think about it, the books don't have tags, right? So if you gave someone a volume with this strip in it, they'd have no fucking clue about what's happening.
>>
>>92476764
>Spoiler
I'm still going to suggest Mixtape for uploading stuff until you start using it.
>>
>>92477589
>>92478135
This. Ryan has the scar, so what does it matter that his name isn't actually Ryan?

Also, I'm sure I'm wrong since I've forgotten everything that wasn't stupid, but did Leslie and Robin even talk about Ryan at any point?

>>92478760
Hell, Sinfest can manage an oversized Sunday strip while doing daily comics.
I think the problem isn't so much that Willis writes for the trade, but he writes for the trade format. If he released an oversized Sunday strip, he wouldn't be able to fit it in the Kickstarter book.
>>
>>92476764
>that joke about becky's pubes
pffft
>>
>>92474965
>>92474984
>>92474945
>>92474984
>>92475702

You know, when we jokingly suggested that Ryan was a supervillain in these threads, I don't think any of us actually thought that that was the direction Willis was going with this. Ryan's already got the team of identical minions, who'll rush to his defence without any questions asked, his dedication to to rape that is approaching old-DC Dr. Light's and now, he's such a master planner that he had foreknowledge to have his friends/minions shout fake names when they come to his rescue. Is he going to have a villainous lair, too? The Rapecave? Will he have a supervillain team-up with his ally, the Rohypnotizer?

>>92475889
That's the thing I've learned about 4chan: we're a collection of assholes who'll bust each others' chops at the drop of a hat or the the possibility of some lulz, but we try to do good for each other too and I'm glad we can help out a little. Also, I hope your stalker gets bitten by squirrels.

>>92476484
>You have to keep up with the comments, both of his Tumblrs, Slipshine, and every other comic he's written in order to completely understand everything happening in the comic.

And that grinds my gears so much. In my writing, I always include extra materials, background information, short stories and in-depth explanations of minor events for readers, but I always make sure that none of it is necessary to understand the plot. If your readers have to wade through tons of author's comments just to know what the hell is going on (i.e. Sal's parents are racist, Carla is trans) then your ability to tell a story is shit.
>>
File: 2016-12-15-interns[1].png (411KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-15-interns[1].png
411KB, 1000x333px
>>92480527
>Also, I'm sure I'm wrong since I've forgotten everything that wasn't stupid, but did Leslie and Robin even talk about Ryan at any point?
Yeah, it was pretty much the first thing Leslie talked to her about when they met at the bar.
>>
>>92476581
>I really didn’t want to end a strip on Joyce being shoved into a bathroom. That’s not the sort of cliffhanger I want to do. It was a very important goal of mine throughout this storyline to not leave Joyce in a state of imminent, impending rapey danger for the 24 hours between strips.

FOR. FUCK'S. SAKE.
This is the same stupid shit that got us a teleporting Ruth or that fucking kitten strip. Willis has little to no respect for his audience and only the barest ability to tell a story. ESPECIALLY since he writes for the trades, where all you have to do is turn a page to see what happens. Your audience are not - or at least should not be - so fragile that a character left in peril or hearing BAD WORDS for a day causes mass hysteria. He's said outright that no one will ever die in DoA, and I've said that that also means no one can be severely injured. Willis destroyed all drama from the very beginning of his strip and with situations like these, he acts like his audience are one unhappy feeling away from a bottle of pills. It's insulting to other writers, its patronizing and belittling to the audience and it shows abject refusal to do anything other than be bland and generic and write on autopilot.

Sorry for all the salt. It just grinds my gears.

>>92477742
>Also annoying is that he still doesn't know if Ryan will be caught or not???
Well, you see, anon - if Ryan is caught that will be cathartic for the readers, but Willis's pace means that we would never see a trial. Those can take months/years to finally conclude. Hell, Ryan could get out on bail and be walking around for months comic-time, years in real time.
If Ryan is never caught, Willis A) won't have to learn how police procedures actually work and B) can make a "something something privilege something authorities are useless" point
>>
>>92478317
Ha! No. It's just more wacky antics! Just like the time she destroyed the dress Joyce's mom gave her. Becky tends to turn on anyone she doesn't like to cause as much damage to them as possible, even if they're being nice/attempting to be nice to her. Becky is a terrible person.
>>
>>92474954
Wow. This make Walky look like an even MORE reprehensible character if he capitulates to anyone with even the faintest hint of charisma without question.
>>
File: 2017-05-06-presidential[1].png (365KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-06-presidential[1].png
365KB, 1000x333px
>>92481827
He has trouble with bigger guys.
>>
>>92481406
Willis' intended audience is all those things you say it shouldn't be.
>>
>>92482424
I know, and that's terrible for so many different reasons.
>>
I think the problem with Willis and his audience is that Willis thinks his audience is ten years older than they actually are.

That is, I'm pretty sure his audience is all in high school, save perhaps for some outliers. They're the kind of people who think that everybody's stories about college are true, just as they believed everybody's stories about high school were true.
>>
>>92478294

Who?

Who exactly enjoys this comic?

What we enjoy is shitting on this comic. We love shitting on it's shitlord of a creator. We love it when both prove us right.
>>
>>92478294
>How do you live with yourselves?

I think the real question is why does it matter so much to you what we do?

I mean this with the utmost seriousness. In less time than and effort it took you to click on this thread, type your message, do the catchpa and click "POST, you could have just hidden the thread.

We're not the ones with the problem. You are.
>>
>>92483424
Seriously though how can you get so worked up over such a shitty comic?
>>
>>92481406
The whole Toe-Dad/orphan Becky plot proves that Willis has no clue how the real world works. From basic physics to police procedures it's all a black box of terrifying mystery to him
>>
>>92484465
Because, anon, the dark, shameful secret of the majority of /co/'s DoA posters is... we used to be fans. We read the Martian horror of It's Walky, the amusing antics of early to mid-Shortpacked and then watched as Willis started to give less and less of a shit about his art, writing or general storytelling and more about sticking it to everyone he didn't like. Dumbing Age is just the continuation of that, only it gets dressed up as 'realistic', when it's really not. It's an ongoing dumpster fire where good storytelling is actively suppressed and pushed away by the author himself.

Most of us, I also assume, don't really get worked up. We use hyperbole and exaggeration freely, because it helps show off our disappointment and befuddlement at what's going on this comic.

>>92484755
You had to remind me. That was just an absolute casserole of nonsense from beginning to end.
>>
>>92484755
>>92485871
Willis fans will argue that we hate Becky because we hate Lesbians. And not that we hate Becky because everything surrounding her story arc is completely stupid.
>>
>>92485955
Willis's fans also apparently can't handle 24 hours of genuine suspense without the risk of mass suicide, so I'm not terribly moved by their opinions. Besides, there is a substantial difference between hating a character who IS a lesbian and hating her BECAUSE she's a lesbian. Of course, the distinction is sadly out of reach of far too many people.

For myself, I dislike Becky because she is literally the recipient of author fiat, she is poorly-written, insulting, glib ("AGAIN!"), abrasive and destructive towards people who are trying to get along with her. None of that is in any way influenced by who she wants to fuck.

Now if you'll excuse me, I apparently have to go burn a rainbow cross outside the home of an interracial gay couple. Because that's the kind of thing someone who hates Becky would do.
>>
>>92486187
But a big part of why I hate Becky is how she goes about being a lesbian, which is kind of a finer point. Of course, if there was a character who went around shrieking that they were an atheist the second that they met anyone, I would hate them just as much.
>>
>>92486755
It is, but as you said, you're not hating her BECAUSE she's gay. It's how she expresses that which grates.

And in fairness to Willis, a lot of people who first come out do act like Becky for a while as they're just so excited not have to hide who they are and it can be grating for those around them, but they grow out of it. ALSO in fairness, though, this is another problem with the hyper-decompressed writing. Becky has been in this phase for years, rather than the few weeks/months it would normally be, so she has to continually, always, forever, mention how much of a lesbian she is. Almost every conversation has to have that be mentioned.

To tie this back in to your other example, a few years one of my friends decided he was an athiest - and he acted just like Becky. He had to work his newfound atheism into every. Single. Conversation. Whenever we went to the bookstore, he had to make the same joke about putting Bibles in the fiction section. But he grew out of after a few months.

Becky... will never grow out it, not with the timescales DoA operates on.

tl;dr: be at peace. You're not hating her for being a lesbian, you're hating her because Willis has given her a realistic reaction and then stretched it across years.
>>
>>92487025
The way Becky is continually pushing at an open door always reminds me of the "only gay in the village" scetches
https://youtu.be/KrlzaBNgz-M
Except Matt Lucas is funny
>>
>>92481406
And if Ryan is never caught, then that means Joyce will always have to worry about the guy who nearly raped her. Joyce doesn't get a happy ending, guaranteed. I can't imagine dying and leaving my characters in limbo like that.

>>92481431
I know she has a terrible family and she's temporarily homeless, but Becky doesn't get sympathy just because she's in a bad spot. She's rude and inconsiderate. She could choose to be kind but chooses not to.
>>
>>92480469
Thanks! I'll check it out when I can. How does it work?

>>92481242
Thank you! Maybe I need to put acorns on his doorstep to help that process along. I appreciate that this is the kind of group that fosters actual discussion and a strange form of friendship.

>>92484465
It's fun, okay? We all have our hobbies. I like comics, and I like literary discussions. I used to enjoy Willis's work, and when I went to the comment section, I got torn a new butthole. I'm here because I have a sense of morbid curiosity about the story, to talk about it without the sycophants.

Plus this:
>>92485871
>Because, anon, the dark, shameful secret of the majority of /co/'s DoA posters is... we used to be fans. We read the Martian horror of It's Walky, the amusing antics of early to mid-Shortpacked and then watched as Willis started to give less and less of a shit about his art, writing or general storytelling and more about sticking it to everyone he didn't like. Dumbing Age is just the continuation of that, only it gets dressed up as 'realistic', when it's really not. It's an ongoing dumpster fire where good storytelling is actively suppressed and pushed away by the author himself.
>Most of us, I also assume, don't really get worked up. We use hyperbole and exaggeration freely, because it helps show off our disappointment and befuddlement at what's going on this comic.

>>92486755
>>92487025
I actually know a lot of atheists who do stuff like that. I was stuck living with one for a while.
>>
>>92488812
>How does it work?
It works like any other uploading website. Just drag, drop, and link. Mixtape is notorious for being difficult to file DMCA claims for, so whatever porn we upload there will have a harder time of coming down.
>>
>>92476449

Is "Two weeks from retirement" supposed to be dramatic irony.
>>
>>92484465

Seriously, though, why is it any business of yours?
>>
>>92484465

If you don't like it, hide the fucking thread and move on you autist. Go talk about something you AGREE with, and if no such thread exists, go start one. quit hassling us. We're not going to stop because you don't approve. Can you not grasp these very simple concepts?
>>
>>92485955

And the fact that she constantly shoves that fact in everyones face for no logical reason. Seriously, who would EVER say "Just your average scientist lesbian" in everyday conversation or introducing themselves? She wears her lesbianism on her sleeve. Mentioning it is a genuinely integral part of her character.

I don't hate lesbians, but I *AM* tired of seeing them everywhere. Especially as bait to tantalize heterosexual men. That has gotten stale and boring.
>>
>>92486187
>>92487025
I think Willis tried to avoid having her just be "woe is me, the oppressed lesbian" but he leaned way too far in the opposite direction. I like the concept of her as a person who tries to be chipper because she thinks that's how she should be while covering up her pain, but the pained bits get very little play. And it goes poorly with how Willis does bend over backwards to make sure things are good for her. It's at the point that she doesn't really have much to lament, except for the impending loss of a home, but I'm sure that will be miraculously avoided just like everything else.
>>
>>92489465
>Seriously, who would EVER say "Just your average scientist lesbian" in everyday conversation or introducing themselves? She wears her lesbianism on her sleeve.
I'm still waiting for her to pick a major--as in which science she wants to study--and actually enroll in the school. She's no more a scientist than my idiot roommate who dropped out of college after 5 years and withdrawing from more classes than he stayed in.

>>92489814
>I like the concept of her as a person who tries to be chipper because she thinks that's how she should be while covering up her pain, but the pained bits get very little play.
I can only think of a time or two that she's actually shown that.

I know he's trying to give a lesbian a happy life, since that happens so rarely, but the mental gymnastics he does are more ridiculous than Amazi-Girl's stunts.

>except for the impending loss of a home, but I'm sure that will be miraculously avoided just like everything else.
Oh, and she might get to live with Leslie, the Alpha Lesbian in town.
>>
>>92483055

I'm pretty sure if one assumed the average Willis fan had the mental capacity of an underdeveloped pubescent teen than you'd be right on the money.
>>
>>92489129
I don't think so, because there's nothing directly in the story seen only by the audience that goes against it--it's just normal irony when that character dies. A better example would be the "Aunt May calls Peter irresponsible for being late when the audience has seen him be extremely responsible as a superhero". The audience has to know something a character does not.
>>
>>92489814
Exactly.

Willis wanted to write a story with a lesbian getting the happy ending. That's fine. Unfortunately, he wrote her badly and when people reacted negatively to this portrayal, he lashed out, said they were just dudebros who couldn't whack off to her (that will never, ever not confuse the hell out of me) and doubled down.

And you know what? That's his perogative. He's the author. If he truly, honestly believes that something works the way he has it, he has the right to stick to his guns. He has the right to let spite towards imaginary "dudebros" drive his characterization.

We, thankfully, have the right to call terrible writing, bad characterization and obvious hack work what it is. What could make Becky better is to as you say, see more of the pained bits. We don't need to have her wallowing in misery, but more than one sad face every few years would help flesh out the character. Instead, it's MAXIMUM QUIRKINESS! Let me violate physics by tearing this dress off! Let me violate someone's privacy! Let me loudly refer the siblings of my beloved best friend Nazis! It's so wacky and endearing!

WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?!

Also:
>>92490239
>the mental gymnastics he does are more ridiculous than Amazi-Girl's stunts.
>>
File: End of DOA.png (237KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
End of DOA.png
237KB, 1000x1000px
Willis has already stated the universe will bend over backwards to give Becky a happy ending.
Any tension or interest anyone might have in the plot is gone. She will not face any kind of challenge or hardship, everything will be handed to her.
What's most insulting is that Willis apparently believes that this is the best way for lesbians to be depicted in media, shallow characters whose sexuality is their only personality trait, and that they will never accomplish anything unless it is literally handed to them.
>>
>>92487278

You'd think the guy constantly moaning about being the only gay in the village would be more empathetic and receptive towards another of his kind, not combative and argumentative. Not saying all gays HAVE to like each other, but he didn't even TRY to get along or be civil.

You can't complain about being alone then turn around and drive away people making genuine attempts to be your friend.
>>
>>92488494

Oh Ryan will be caught all right. This is Willis. Ryan is a Christian, and for that one reason alone he WILL be punished.
>>
>>92491832
You realize it is a comedy sketch right? It's supposed to subvert your expectations. That's what makes it funny.

Well, Brit comedy isn't for everyone.
>>
>>92491103
>>92491784
I think a really great way to show some pain from Becky without it being super in-your-face would be to have Dina's parents show up and take them out to lunch or something and show that Dina's parents love and accept Dina regardless of her orientation and neurodiversity and Becky has to excuse herself because she can't really handle it due to her history.
>>
>>92491902
no he won't. Ryan is a good, cheap source of drama. there's no way Willis will let that died out with a replacement and what would you replace attempted rape drama with? actual rape? you're fucking retarded if you think Willis would ever tackle that.
>>
>>92492014
The problem is that all too often you'll find people like that in real life.

>>92492117
Willis went years using the effect Ryan had on Joyce as a source of cheap drama before reusing him; he doesn't need Ryan to actually be present to get drama from him. He could have subplot about Ryan's identical henchmen harassing Dorothy, he could have Ryan rape apologists hunting down Amazi-Girl and Sal, he could even have Ryan's dad show up with a gun!
>>
File: 1494184113356.jpg (40KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1494184113356.jpg
40KB, 604x453px
>>92474604

I keep seeing these threads about this comic and barely anything makes sense to me even after reading them.

What is the comic about and what is the plot?
>>
>>92492465
The comic is about a group of students entering a state university and their day-to-day lives in a TOTALLY REALISTIC slice of life comedy/drama.

There is no over-arching plot, it's just the meandering travails of a bloated cast including but not limited to, a physics-defying overweight superheroine, a gay man who doesn't want to be known as the gay guy but whose every plot revolves around him being gay, biracial twins whose parents (yes, both of them) are racist against one of them for reasons, a former fundamentalist Christian who zigs between faithful and faithless as the punchlines require, a violent abusive alcoholic who assaults, stalks, steals from and harasses the students in her wing, but it's okay because she likes girls and a transwoman who harasses other students, including using her wealthy parents power and influence to threaten them but must be protected from harm by all cast members.

Antagonists include a rapist, and three different abusive father figures. Because parents are evil.
>>
>>92492465
College slice-of-life that primarily revolves around a young Christian woman and the challenges she faces in the secular world. Like how in six weeks her campus has seen two kidnappings, two political sex scandals, and a social media based hunt for a rapist led by a costumed vigilante.
>>
>>92492722
>>92492725

Well no wonder why I was confused. Seems like a clusterfuck.
>>
>>92492722
That's probably what pisses me off most about these comics. The antagonists are either Christians, parents, or both, and never anything else.
>>
>>92492725
Don't forget that those six weeks took the entire six years that the comic has been updating (365 days a year) to pass.
>>
>>92492722
>Antagonists include a rapist, and three different abusive father figures
You forgot the most evil of all of them. Mary, the student who dared to study.
>>
>>92494361
That in and of itself isn't a problem, especially with a cast this large. The problem is that Willis switching story arcs without regard to pacing makes things drag out for longer than they need to be. If he stuck to one storyline at a time except when it'd make dramatic sense to cut away the story would read a lot better. If he really wanted to cross cut the storylines to keep them roughly contemporaneous, he needs a hell of a lot better ways of transitioning or to keep that format strictly for the trades, where it won't matter as much.
>>
File: may_voting.png (440KB, 728x4116px) Image search: [Google]
may_voting.png
440KB, 728x4116px
Forgot to post the bonus strip voting a couple of days ago.

Right now it's between Howard, Asma, and Jocelyn. Hard to tell who's leading because there are so many duplicate nominations this month, but if you add them up Howard is at 42 votes, Jocelyn is 28, and Asma is at 39.

Going by single-post amounts though, Howard is winning by just 4 over Jocelyn, and Asma fans are getting crushed because they can't follow simple goddamn instructions.

As usual, I'll vote for whichever of those three that the majority of people who reply to this post want me to.
>>
>>92495928
Jocelyne. I bet Willis will only count the highest one post for a character
>>
File: cereal meme.png (431KB, 600x1417px) Image search: [Google]
cereal meme.png
431KB, 600x1417px
>>92495928
>limit to characters who have appeared in the strip
>in other words, no me
>implying anyone, even cerberus, would vote for him
Willis wouldn't insert himself into the comic, would he? Even if he did, it's set in a college, so he'd leave after 1 strip.
>>
>>92495928
Following instructions is hard.

At least she won the popular vote.
>>
>>92496281
Over Jocelyn, yeah, but she's still losing by 3 to Howard if you add them up.
>>
File: this old bit.jpg (1MB, 600x6936px) Image search: [Google]
this old bit.jpg
1MB, 600x6936px
>>92496223
>>
>>92496223
I don't really want to go back and look it up, but ironically, Jacques is the only one I remember actually nominating Willis for the bonus vote....several times even.

I think Jacques nominated himself at least once too.
>>
>>92496452
>Jacques
Of course it was. They seem to barely go a single day without jerking each other off.
>>
>>92496541
Did he give Willis the hand stab special?

Someone link that Yoto drawing of Sal talking about her hand hole, I didn't save it.
>>
File: 1491598298887.png (448KB, 1000x498px) Image search: [Google]
1491598298887.png
448KB, 1000x498px
>>92496861
Haha, yeah, this one is a classic
>>
>>92495928
jocelyne
>>
>>92496953
I kinda want Sal to have a hole in her hand and for her to use it to hold things.
>>
>>92495928
Go with Jocelyn I guess. Fuck giving Asma anything after that last scene.
>>
>>92497122
Sal can already do that with her fingers.
>>
>>92497491
Yeah, but she'd be able to give a handjob and work the balls at the same time without having to put down her cigarette.
>>
>>92496953
Nice, thanks!
>>
>>92496953
This brings something to my attention, aside from the usually stupidity this comic brings. If Amber actually wants to make amends with Sal, she's going to have to admit she stabbed her.
>>
>>92498192
Is Amber sorry that she stabbed Sal in self-defense while the latter was committing a robbery or just traumatized by the event?
>>
File: riley pepe.jpg (1MB, 1875x2325px) Image search: [Google]
riley pepe.jpg
1MB, 1875x2325px
>>92496223
>>
>>92498254
Man who even knows. She's trying to make nice with Sal now, so I'm guess she's sorry, but the whole stabbing didn't make sense to begin with, what with stabbing someone as they were being handcuffed, and having AMBER be the one traumatized.
>>
>>92498192
Whoa, whoa, whoa. WHOA. Anon. Slow down there Speedy McStorytelling. Amber being able to talk to Sal AS Amber is at least a year out.

Give that a few years of awkward interactions before we can even start the five year side-arc of Sal realizing where she remembers Amber from (or Ethan realizing who Sal is).

>>92498254
She's expressed no remorse that I can remember. It certainly wasn't self-defense though.
>>
>>92481406
>If Ryan is never caught, Willis A) won't have to learn how police procedures actually work and B) can make a "something something privilege something authorities are useless" point

C) Generate endless salt in the comments between his lefty readers and people who point out that this happened because they didn't go to the cops.
>>
>>92498338
Amber stabbed Sal due to a breakdown at her father berating her. Her being traumatized is due to a knife-wielding chick taking her best friend hostage.
>>
File: fired.png (337KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
fired.png
337KB, 1000x333px
Robin continues her face-turn tonight, as Willis strings us along one more strip with Rapin' Ry--err, uh I mean....Assaultin' Anon's true identity reveal.

RIP Frieda and Whitney
>>
>>92498450
>breakdown due to her her father berating her
So, why does she associate so much of her trauma with Sal?
>>
>>92498803
Wait a minute.... you're telling me "not Ryan," a suspected rapist, has sympathizers? Fucking who?! And you're saying a literal rapist is more popular then a politician changing her stance on gay people? What kind of wacky universe is this...
>>
>>92498803
I'm having real trouble understanding any of this shit
>>
>>92498803
>fired
Freida did nothing wrong.
>>
>>92498803
Again I say: Why the fuck would he not just never come back to work therefore making firing him pointless?
>>
>>92498853
He's been ACCUSED of rape via a blurry picture and hearsay. People are giving him sympathy instead of immediately concluding he's guilty and socially ostracizing him, which is apparently the "right" response in this situation.
>>
>>92498889
why would he have sympathizers, who knows who he is?
>>
>>92498889
>Hurr durr everything and everyone is /pol/

.....yes I'm asking. Duh.
>>
>>92498853
>you're telling me "not Ryan," a suspected rapist, has sympathizers? Fucking who?!
Probably people who use the Duke lacrosse case to deny rape rarely, if ever, happens to anyone in college.

Not to say false rape allegations DON'T happen, but some people take that example and run wayyyy too far with it.
>>
>>92498842
They're linked in her head.

>>92498853
Turns out that when all you've got is an extremely blurry photo, a vague description, and an anonymous social media source, accusing someone of being a rapist doesn't quite have the same impact as a police report.

>>92498855
While her campaign staff wants to fire Ryan, Robin wants to cuff him to chair and take a heavy chain to him until he talks.
>>
>>92498853

Not only that, but her solution is to fire the one guy who actually has his head screwed on right and is coming up with reasonable solutions.

>>92498889

To be fair, if you just post a dude's pic on facebook and are like "THIS GUY IS A RAPIST ACCORDING TO SOMEONE" then yeah, that guy is gonna have sympathizers simply because it looks like he's being singled out by a lynch mob.
>>
>>92498919
I'm not saying that.

I'm saying a guy who's being 'accused' 'blindly' of being a potential rapist would have more supporters than a shitty politician who's been caught lying to fucking everyone and doing exactly the shit she's been lobbying against.

I'm comparing that to /pol/, a group of extremist people who have opinions and support people that go drastically against what's considered societally acceptable.
>>92498947
this guy has it right.
>>
>>92498885
We'll probably get the answer to that once we know who the fuck he is
>>
File: 2016-09-09-intern.png (416KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-09-intern.png
416KB, 1000x333px
I still have no clue why the picture is "extremely blurry." when Amaz-girl CLEARLY took a pic of his face point blank with no real obstruction or movement.
>>
>>92498803
None of this makes any sense.

>We let go a possible criminal from our employ because it gave you a bad image.
>This despite your party already choosing to disown you, thus essentially ending your political aspirations.
>We could have attempted to soften this by having you expose and denounce the man formerly known as Ryan, but instead we decided to let him go.
>I mean, we WILL be letting him go formally once he shows up for work.
>Anyways, our current option is to just distance ourselves from him and let his own popularity among the vocal minority of supporters grow into a vocal majority.
>Also, now that he's fired, there's no way you'll be able to know who he really is. We had all his information burned and discarded, since that's what is implicitly being implied in this dialogue.

Who was the college kid accused of raping a girl and allegedly got away with it because he was a white male? This is REALLY starting to come off as self-therapy on Willis' part to cope with his opinions on that event.
>>
File: 2016-09-05-snap.png (490KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05-snap.png
490KB, 1000x333px
>>92499034
Common mistake. Not Ryan deleted that one when he snatched her phone. The blurry one was taken farther away and sent to Dorothy a few strips earlier.
>>
>>92498803
I guess "Ryan" wouldn't have any sympathizers if, you know, Joyce and them went to the POLICE like they should have! Then maybe there would be a alert/lookout/whatever for a male with a distinct facial scar.
>>
>>92499093
Shit, guess you're right. Guess he ran outta time to delete that blurry one to.
>>
>>92499154
Nah, he presumably deleted that one too, but AG sent it to Dorothy right away, so it was saved.
>>
>>92499059
All they can do is fire him and quietly distance themselves from him. They're not cops, and publicly accusing Ryan of anything when all that is available is an anonymous accusation would open them up to a lawsuit. The incident in question occurred before they even hired him.
>>
>>92499172
Next question I guess is how slow was that upload of the good picture that apparently took so long he was able to stop it and delete it.
>>
>>92498803
>He's *more* popular than *you* are.
Well you did threaten to kill a 9 year old on twitter, Robin. Oh wait, it's because of the gay picture and pro-gay tweets? Oh...

Well, maybe Indiana isn't really a place worth representing anyway...
>>
>>92499194
She never got a chance to upload the good one. They started fighting right after she put the phone in his face for the picture, and she lost the phone right after.
>>
>>92498803
Sure knows how to stir some infuriating drama
>>
>>92498853
Rape enthusiasts ? I'm not sure who would sympathize with him, or maybe the word is too strong and it's just people dismissing the accusation or being cautious. Though considering he worked in a team, got into a fight at the rally and is easy to identify due to the scar he recently acquired, you'd think somebody would have spilled the beans about his real identity or his whereabouts already. As usual with DoA, it doesn't make sense no matter how you take it.
>>
>>92499223
It only really makes sense if she said "Hold on. Uploading" before she started actually uploading, because there's a couple strips after >>92499034 before she loses track of the phone, and a few more before Ryan picks it up. Photos don't take that long to transfer and it should've been doing its work in the background.

She'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to taunt someone *before* preserving and copying the evidence, but this is Amber we're talking about, so I believe it.
>>
>>92495928
SO tired of Asma getting bonus strips. I'll go for Jocelyn.

>>92496223
Canonically, he is the reclusive creator of Dexter & Monkey Master.

He 100% exists in this universe.

http://walkypedia.wikia.com/wiki/David_Willis

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/79989579373/would-you-ever-appear-in-doa-in-a-cameo-capacity
When asked if he would appear as a cameo in DoA:
>The creator of Dexter & Monkey Master is a social recluse.

There's also this, and I don't really understand why he felt the need to make it:
http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/45661137576/at-the-beginning-of-dumbing-of-age-i-did-a-very
>>
>>92495928
I'll go with Asma. (even though I won't change the vote)

Either he does another completely low-effort, unfunny, formulaic, postage-related strip, fucking over his most engaged paying customers again, or we get some insight to her and Ruth's interactions on the residence student staff in a low-effort, unfunny, formulaic strip with a bad punchline.
>>
>>92499381
That's probably the confusing part. Did she start uploading when she announced it? Or was she about to start it but she then got jumped by the rape crew last second and lost her phone before she confirmed the upload?
>>
>>92498803
Robin certainly doesn't seem very concerned with finding out the identity of this attempted rapist. How does she expect to find his name out if she fires the only people who actually know anything about her staff or campaign?
>>
>>92498853
Even in the real world you'll get people sympathizing with those convicted of rape. I wouldn't doubt that there are far more who feel sympathy for someone simply accused of it.
>>
>>92498803
Asian Yellow Jacket didn't suggest this. why does she deserve to get fired?
>>
File: Rape Saga.png (3MB, 2088x1665px) Image search: [Google]
Rape Saga.png
3MB, 2088x1665px
>>92498912
To be fair, Joyce and friends went out of their way to make sure that there would be no evidence against "Ryan".

The only way he is going to be arrested is if his previous rape victims come to light or if he tries to rape again.
>>
>>92499059
>Who was the college kid accused of raping a girl and allegedly got away with it because he was a white male? This is REALLY starting to come off as self-therapy on Willis' part to cope with his opinions on that event.

It's implied that Leyland got away with kicking Marcie into a ditch because he was a rich white kid with a bright future ahead of him. Yes, Willis used an incident of elementary school bullying as a direct analogy for a college rape. Then he blew up at someone in the comments section when they didn't put 2 and rape together.

Leyland is obviously Ryan. It's not a twist when half of us called it months ago.
>>
>>92499381
She didn't have her wifi wire plugged in so her connection was slow
>>
>>92499675
I'm pretty sure Leland got away with kicking Marcie into a ditch by threatening a witness.
>>
>>92499675
leland is already a seperate character in the walkyverse. changing a characters name is one thing, merging two together doesnt really seem like something hed do
>>
>>92499720
>I'm pretty sure Leland got away with kicking Marcie into a ditch by threatening a witness.

How about the other two kids who were standing there plus Sal?

>leland is already a seperate character in the walkyverse. changing a characters name is one thing, merging two together doesnt really seem like something hed do

What is the point of hiding Ryan's real name from the reader if Willis isn't going to link it/him back to something that has already happened in the story? It's not a twist if you just make up a different name for him.

"You thought his name was Ryan? What if I told you his real name... is Bob?"

Willis is a bad writer but he's not that bad.
>>
File: calling it.png (15KB, 395x74px) Image search: [Google]
calling it.png
15KB, 395x74px
>>92475581
got cerb considering it a possibility, at least
>>
>>92499675
>Yes, Willis used an incident of elementary school bullying as a direct analogy for a college rape
What ? I thought it was just plain old bullying.
>>
>>92499582
Yeah, she should just order them to put the guy in jail. If they refuse completely, then she could fire them. Or she could fire them afterwards if she finds their suggestion so distasteful.

But I guess we're continuing the trend of no one doing what is right to actually try and stop this guy.

Joyce and Sarah don't break his knee caps or at least lacerate and concuss him to a near-lethal level.

Amazi-Girl causes a distraction and lets him get away, and fails to track a dude with a head injury dripping blood everywhere.

Joyce is too afraid of leaving school to file a police report on someone with the most identifiable of features. (And is apparently Green Lantern level willful because she refused suggestion while roofied)

Amazi-Girl is more concerned with starting a confrontation and a fight at the rally instead of surreptitiously taking photos, archiving them and asking campaign staff for his identity.

Dorothy fucks around arguing with Robin about her ethnoreligious status rather than asking about him.

This gives time for Leslie to shoo Robin away. And when she meets Robin later, she focuses on her lesbian sob story instead of just going and getting the fucking information asap. They even spend a day watching cartoons and holding hands. Nice.

And now Robin, the most incompetent person ever, is firing the only people who know how to work the file cabinet where they keep his personal information.

I guess God answers rapists' prayers too, to increase the dramatic tension.
>>
>>
>>92499810
My God, Ryan is a lesbian!
>>
>>92499675
Honestly, if Ryan really IS Leland, then it's so obviously an attempt to shift the dramatic focus from Joyce (the actual victim) to Sal (somebody not involved at all) in an attempt to give HER a personal reason to be going after him will be so stupid it'll be amazing if Willis still has readers who can take him seriously.

Like, come the fuck on. Ryan's only reason for being in DoA is because he tried to rape Joyce. But now the focus is on Amazi-Girl/Amber for her failure to bring him to justice in the first place, as well as to focus on her own relationships with Sal and with Danny. Speaking of which, can't wait until people mistake Danny as being Ryan so that he gets pulled into the mix like it's Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia". How do we wrangle Dorothy into this web as well?
>>
>>92499595
>>92498931
>>92498912
To be fair. I tend to be tentatively sympathetic to those accused of "rape" until proven guilty (or at least that I'm convinced of their guilt) because just as easy as it is for someone to DENY it it's also easy for some to fabricate that story.

The fact that those allegations can basically RUIN your life makes me want to be very discerning with that sort of thing because it turns out to be incorrect you've basically doomed someone to lose huge portions of their life and have doors closed to them unjustly.

Not that that's relevant because we all know Ryan did it (or tried to do it, in this case)
>>
File: willismakesmegiddy.png (370KB, 1014x727px) Image search: [Google]
willismakesmegiddy.png
370KB, 1014x727px
>>92499800

Here's the strip where Willis uses schoolyard bullying as an analogy for rape, followed by his meltdown in the comments section when a hapless reader doesn't get the obvious parallel between Leland and Brock Turner.
>>
>>92500321
It would have made more sense to use that as an analogy with an older bully. A small child like that doesn't have much future prospects unless he's a literal genius.
>>
>>92499810
>I guess God answers rapists' prayers too, to increase the dramatic tension.
We have clearly underestimated how much Willis wants to drag out this fucking storyline.
>>
>>92500321
>Brock Turner
That's the guy's name.

Yeah, this whole thing with Ryan has just been Willis lashing out at the Brock Turner story/scandal and how it was framed by progressives/SJW-types/others like Willis. He's actually hurting his own potential by making it an allegory and forcing his characters to fit into the narrative. The return of Ryan could have been a story of Joyce overcoming her innermost fears and PTSD, both emotionally, psychologically, and physically since Willis loves to use physical means of communication. But instead, Joyce has been pushed to the wayside so that others who for all intents and purposes weren't directly involved in the events at the party (Sal notably less so as she wasn't even AT the party) can solve her problems for her and with her permission.

The way Willis has been handling this triggers me as much as how Willis cut Walky barging into Ruth's bedroom to talk to Billie.
>>
>>92499892
what is this, a rapist of ants?
>>
>>92500450
It's clear from Willis's own statements on his Tumblr that he didn't have a plan for Ryan going into this. He just wanted to have an attempted rape in his comic to generate clicks. I'm sort of surprised his fanbase hasn't eaten him alive for this, but he's gotten manipulating them down to a science. He always does just enough to get them incensed without making them turn on him.

In the case of Ryan he drops the character for 5 years, except for a few strips where he brings him back in the form hallucinations stemming from Joyce's PTSD. So yeah, he torments Joyce for a few years with the specter of Ryan until finally reintroducing him. And the way he does it is by means of a badly drawn fist fight between a bunch of fratbro stereotypes and a fat nerd in yellow spandex, with Joyce nowhere to be found.

Just a complete lack of respect for the subject matter and yet people praise this hack like he's some paragon of progressive webcomics. It's so stupid.
>>
>>92500535
Pretty sure that's Amber, not Ryan.
>>
>>92500882
>Just a complete lack of respect for the subject matter and yet people praise this hack like he's some paragon of progressive webcomics. It's so stupid.
Makes you wonder if some rape (or attempted rape) victims have a problem with taking away Joyce's agency and choices in the situation.

The attempted rape was handled well enough at the start, despite its glaring issues (like a guy with blood on his face rushing through a crowd without any issue), and I didn't even mind that the whiteboard wieners were related to Joyce's frustration about what happened to her.

But now that he's been introduced as a way of helping Amber get over her issues and not Joyce... puts a bad taste in my mouth.

For being the alleged main character, Joyce has been foisted off-screen a LOT since Becky came into the picture. Not just because of Becky, but that's when the trend seems to start.
>>
>>92500321
>You have the motherfucking BALLS to ask if this "happens in real life" TODAY. Today of all motherfucking days.
>links brock turner news story
...What does a playground scuffle have to do with a drunken rape case? And Brock Turner got convicted, sounds like the system works to me.

Wait was that comic supposed to be an allegory for that case?
>>
>>92502962
I think so. A white male hurt someone and was absolved for it because he was a promising student.

I hate to think of rape being trivialized to an extent of comparing it to a playground scuffle. It's insulting.
>>
>>92503027
>absolved
He wasn't though. He got convicted, served months in prison, has to register as a sex offender, and now he's nationally hated. Sorry to everyone who thinks that isn't harsh enough, but there's a good chance his life is fucked now. Can Willis be this stupid?
>>
>>92503297
>Can Willis be this stupid?
You and I both know the answer to that.
>>
>>92502140
Yeah, I really hate how they make a fuss about this being Joyce's choice when it's really hasn't been. When she finds out she's been kept in the dark for so long, she'll just feel victimized all over again only this time, it'll cut deeper since it was her friends that did this.

>Makes you wonder if some rape (or attempted rape) victims have a problem with taking away Joyce's agency and choices in the situation.
As someone who suffered through something similar, I find it frustrating and some elements of it hit home, but the rest is so cartoonish that I feel insulted. It's not like I could say anything though.

>For being the alleged main character, Joyce has been foisted off-screen a LOT since Becky came into the picture. Not just because of Becky, but that's when the trend seems to start.
Maybe he's run out of material for Joyce save for her finally shedding her religion so he's saving it.
>>
>>92495928

What the fuck, who wants to see more of Howard?

He's a one-note bore and the strip will be 4 panels of him braying "Game of Thrones! Game of Thrones! Game of Thrones!" over and over.

Willis fans should actually off themselves.
>>
>>92498803

>He's got sympathizers

What the fuck? Am I wrong or is Willis ACTUALLY portraying how mob justice like attacking/provoking a suspected rapist in public might be a BAD thing?

Or will he spin this with "People and Republicans are retards who think rapists are good"?
>>
>>92500321

Jesus, there was no reason for him to blow a gasket like this.

Willis really is a foul subhuman being.
>>
>>92503851
Not going to police after Joyce was drugged has meant that the only recourse the protagonists have is setting up an online smear campaign.
>>
>>92500321
Wait a fucking second, there is some random kid showing up at a school, interacting with the students under the supervision of a teacher, getting into an altercation with an actual student, and the school not only doesn't contact social services but doesn't even bother to find out any information about the kid at all?
>>
>>92504173
The first thing the school would do is call the police. Marcie's parents would be arrested. Willis is a dad who doesn't know what truancy laws are.
>>
>>92503818
I'd rather see more bonus strips with Kaitlin, Becky's old roommate who she almost fucked.

And those are one-note scenarios where Kaitlin is just sitting around and somebody makes fun of lesbians, to which she either makes a nervous response in the affirmative or quietly and inwardly disregards. But at least it pseudo-develops Kaitlin's personality and character, if only developing the same aspect time and time again.
>>
>He's actually converting her all the way back to Shortpacked-Robin because of how much he (likely literally) shit himself over Trump getting elected

That's impressive.
>>
>>92500075
>The fact that those allegations can basically RUIN your life
Whenever anyone say this in the comments the Cerb brigade will loudly insist this never happens and it's in fact always the accuser whose life gets ruined.
>>
>>92505548
Fucking how? Someone who refuses to leave the internet like Cerberus should be more than privy to this sort of information.

Has Cerberus never noticed the MOB mentality that people with their disposition have? Have they not seen all the cases of someone having a TWEET misconstrued and having their entire career ruined? How can they even possibly hold this stance without a purposeful ignorance of the concerns of the opposition.
>>
>>92507058
It's because these claims are often used to shut the victim down and prevent them from speaking up.

>>92503818
I think they're hoping to see what he's like without Ruth. But they'll just get a comic about Howie eating Game of Thrones cereal, Dragon Boobie Crunch (buckets of blood and full nudity not included).
>>
>>92507187

I dont know why Willis would have some sort of poll, then waste it on something banal like the character eating cereal. Whats the point? If I was voting for something I would expect something at least SLIGHTLY more substantial. SOME sort of actual joke. This is a strip where nothing LITERALLY happens. NOBODY would want to see someone eating cereal.

Id feel kinda cheated if I had voted for her
>>
>>92501506
its ryan
>>
File: ryan is in the tags.png (447KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
ryan is in the tags.png
447KB, 1000x333px
>>92509257
forgot image
>>
>>92509276
Oh wow, from a distance, the hood looks like Amber's helmet hair.
>>
>>
>>92498803
I still don't know why they didn't report him, then quietly fire him.
>>
>>92509276
We have literally never seen Dorothy at the soup kitchen. And how much effort has she put into helping Joyce?
>>
>>92504949
We've seen one with her where her friends were talking about boys, and she was just spacing out. She agrees that this one boy is cute, but she obviously doesn't mean it. That's about it, but it's not a bad strip. Can't remember if it's in the Patreon strips on Imgur.
>>
File: U#Kaitlin.png (382KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
U#Kaitlin.png
382KB, 1000x333px
>>92512704
>>
>>92512894
>Draw robin
>Change hair colour to dirty blonde
>draw a different nose
Totally different character design, you guys!
>>
>>92512966
Just look at Becky's hair and not-Ryan's nose to see what horrors spawn from Willis going outside of his comfort zone on character design.

It's no wonder he sticks to like three hair styles, two eye styles, and all pig noses.
>>
>>92511277
That's the worst part for me. Like, they did actually have the power to alert the police without tipping anyone off. But the way Willis writes it, it's like the only choices you have are "Do nothing whatsoever" or "Literally murder him".
>>
>>92507058
necrobumper
>>
>>92512704
There's also the one where Becky sneaks back onto her old campus (I think) to meet her again, only for her parents to walk in again.

It would be nice to see Kaitlin make a transfer to IU and Becky have to deal with her initial infatuation for Kaitlin, her deeper love for Joyce, and her use of Dina as a rebound for both.
>>
>>92514044
Willis doesn't believe in middle grounds.

>>92514133
I would definitely be interested in that story, even though it'll be about Becky.
>>
>>92514576
>even though it'll be about Becky.
That's almost the point. We've already had enough stories where Becky is the victim who comes out on top. We could use her as the central character whose actions have consequences.
>>
>>92512966
I'm pretty sure the foreground characters are just palette swaps.

>>92511277
>>92514044
Report him for what? It's an unsubstantiated rape claim from an anonymous source with no evidence that doesn't even give the correct name. Quietly fire him, then even more quietly hire a private investigator to look into the allegations. If anything concrete turns up, hand it over to the cops. Robin tweeting his personal information, which is probably what Willis will have her do, would only make things harder to secure an actual conviction.

>>92514133
>>92514776
I'd want to see Kaitlin hit it off with both Joyce and Dina, making Becky irrationally jealous or for Kaitlin to be an antagonist.
>>
>>92515314
>I'd want to see Kaitlin hit it off with both Joyce and Dina, making Becky irrationally jealous or for Kaitlin to be an antagonist.
Oh gosh, that would be really fun. Now that Willis is actually making new characters, he could set her up with one of them in the future.
>>
>>92514044
Robin's scandal breaking out and "Ryan's" picture getting posted online pretty much fucked any chance of for this being handled subtly. Robin being abandoned by her Party and firing her top staff only make matters worse since no one competent on that end is going to be helping.
>>
>>92516042
>Kaitlin transfers to IU
>becomes friends with Mary
>Mary invites her back to her room to study
>as soon as they're alone Kaitlin tongue-punches Mary's tonsils

The question is, who should walk in on them: Roz or Carla?
>>
>>92516188
Carla, but only if she is naked and calls Mary a cheating slut.
>>
>>92516223
Not everything has to be a fetishistic fapfic, anon.

If you want to write one that'd be just lovely.
>>
File: 2017-01-23-meltdown[1].png (413KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-23-meltdown[1].png
413KB, 1000x333px
>>92499810
>They even spend a day watching cartoons and holding hands. Nice.
I wrote this post, but it actually bothers me way more now when I think about how they just sat around doing whatever for the entire day with a rapist on the loose, to have dumb hijinx. It would've even provided a good cover for Robin being there if she later revealed she was at Leslie's home to ask for information about the attempted rape. Because that's what she should've been fucking doing.

But now she's finally decided to follow through, there's a rush. I feel like if this story was more realistic, the danger of "Ryan" disappearing would've been the most important thing driving the chase to catch him. And that doesn't mean you piss away entire days because you've got a crush you're working through.
>>
>>92516632

Of course Willis would think Steven Universe is the best thing ever
>>
>>92517038
It was, for a while.
>>
>>92516632
I just realized how awful the framing is in the last panel. The punchline is barely impactful as you can barely see Leslie and Robin's hands in the bottom-left corner, squished aside by a quote bubble. He should have had Leslie lift up their hands to blatantly show that it was the case.

Or, if Willis wanted to go full R18+, he could have had the entire central focus of each panel be on their hands, with their bodies shifting in time with the dialogue.
>>
>>92516632
>>92517038
I'm betting it's more Maggie than Willis, just like it was when Amber and Robin bonded over MLP in Shortpacked!

This actually reminds me a lot of that dynamic, but now with 100% more lesbian sexual tension.
>>
>>92516632
>And that doesn't mean you piss away entire days because you've got a crush you're working through.
I'm almost positive there's a TV Trope for this, where a larger social problem that goes ignored because other people have their own personal issues they want to hash out first.
>>
>>92514083
You need a new hobby, friendo.
http://desuarchive.org/co/search/text/necrobump%2A%2A%2A/
>two pages of results from 2013-2016
>three pages of results since February
You're clearly new here, and it's really pathetic.
>>
>>92518929
>100% more lesbian sexual tension
I can barely sense any of that. It's felt disingenuous since Robin showed up at Leslie's place.

And I would bet, personally, that Willis likes Steven Universe because it appeals to his audience.
>>
>>92514776
But nothing bad can ever happen to her! She's not allowed to feel sad for more than one panel.
>>
>>92504949
they established it that becky was thrown under the bus to avoid BOTH consenting people getting kicked out, right?
>>
>>92522326
Pretty sure Becky didn't have a choice in the matter, from what I remember. But it was also being told by her, so we have no idea if she was a reliable narrator.
>>
>>92522412
But I mean, the other girl was into it, right?

Like, IIRC someone walked in on them making out, rather than her coming out and getting reported.
>>
File: 2014-12-17-fix.png (435KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-17-fix.png
435KB, 1000x333px
>>92522326
>>92522450
The way it happened was they got caught, and KAITLIN was the one to throw Becky under the bus. It's not like Becky jumped under the bus to save Kaitlin.

Plus, Kaitlin's parents just thought she was a blameless victim, so they let her stay in school. Becky was cast as the only actually gay one, so that's when Toedad took her home to "fix" her.

Kaitlin was a huge fucking cunt, but your mileage may vary on how much of it was her fault, and how much can be excused by fundie brainwashing.
>>92522412
I don't think Willis has ever shown a misleading blue flashback, but I wouldn't put it past him.
>>
>>92522572
She probably did that because she had developed genuine feelings for her and didn't want it to go any further, for the sake of avoiding more trouble.

Because the flashbacks are only two panels and have Becky's narration, it's going to be hard to tell until we get more information.

In the flashback panels, we see Becky being kept away from Kaitlin and Kaitlin looking mildly concerned, and we see Ross making Becky uncomfortable as she tries to leave.

It's pretty ambiguous, but I guess it depends on how much of a filter Becky has regarding the whole thing.

Does anyone have the one where Becky visits Kaitlin?
>>
>>92522326
>>92522412
>>92522450
>>92522572
>>92522666
Yes, the story is that Becky came on to Kaitlin and she consented, but when caught and questioned, Kaitlin threw Becky under the bus. After that, what little we've seen of Kaitlin through bonus strips implies that she still harbors bisexual or lesbian feelings for Becky, if not women in general.

But yeah, all we'd really need is one "My parents made me kick you out" and it'd fall in line with Willis' general MO.
>>
File: whatarebirdswejustdontknow.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
whatarebirdswejustdontknow.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
>>92475824
>>92475797
Hi, I don't read this shit comic but I see you guys argue over it all the time pretending you don't like it

How is the level of violence visited on this guy justified? I see a guy trying to get a girl alone at a party, having a verbal outburst, then getting gashed in the face and subsequently struck in the back of the head with a baseball bat.

Yeah, the next page reveals he slipped her drugs but when he gets scarred for life as far as that girl knows all he's done is yell at her.

Stories don't work when characters act as if they have the same knowledge as the audience.
>>
>>92481245
Again: don't read the comic here

Is this black-haired girl supposed to be running for office or something?

She talks like a literal retard
>>
File: 221707749020701692.png (336KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
221707749020701692.png
336KB, 1000x333px
>>92522666
How can I deny a request from Satan?
>>
Guess we wait for tonight's new comic then
>>
File: cooches.png (347KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
cooches.png
347KB, 1000x333px
Well, I guess trying to be a good person didn't make Robin any fucking smarter.

HOW did she not ask what not-Ryan's goddamn name was before she pulled that shit? Christ. If Willis is good at one thing, it's writing infuriatingly dense retards.

Write what you know, I guess.
>>
>>92499810
>Joyce should report him for attempted date rape
Then she'd get arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and battery, and the black chick would get arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, battery, and attempted murder

You don't get to say self-defense for something you found out about after-the-fact
>>
>>92523009
>pretending you don't like it
We don't like it at all. In my case, I tolerate it, but not by much.

>How is the level of violence visited on this guy justified?
Because he's a rapist, of course.

>I see a guy trying to get a girl alone at a party, having a verbal outburst, then getting gashed in the face and subsequently struck in the back of the head with a baseball bat.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's how most of us have seen it. I believe the emphasis on the glass of pop as well as the panel in the first batch where Ryan thought-bubbles "Find Mark" is supposed to show to the reader that he's a rapist.

>Stories don't work when characters act as if they have the same knowledge as the audience.
They do when you're the author, David Willis. This is hardly the first time that characters are shown knowing information that they've never learned.

You should ask us about the Carla/Mary debacle. Long story short: Two characters who had never directly interacted with each other before that point find themselves rivals, only for Mary to divulge a secret about Carla that, at that point in the comic, had never been openly divulged to anybody else. Suddenly, EVERYBODY on the floor knows this secret.
>>
>>92522572
>Kaitlin was a huge fucking cunt
The way Becky says "she told everyone I was a *bad influence* or something like that," implies that she wasn't there to actually see what Kaitlin said. So who knows if Kaitlin actually came up with the idea on her own, or if her parents raised it as a possibility and she took the chance because she was worried about getting Ross'd.

It's still not a brave move to throw Becky under the bus, but she was probably super scared.

>>92523009
Joyce is a violent fuck, so she reacted with violence first to his aggression. Also his bubble is a threat that he's going to force her into the washroom for sex, so it might be justified? I dunno the law, so I can't say.

Sarah hits him because he's grabbing Joyce, so at that point that has to be 100% justified, even if the follow ups are not.
>>
>>92523212
>Not following through on finding his name

What a complete fucking ass pull. No seriously, it's literally Willis extending a cliffhanger for no fucking reason. Please tell me how his dickhugging fans will defend this.
>>
>>92523064
Running for re-election as a Congressman.

>>92523082
A salute for you, my loyal minion! I will put you toward the bottom of the list of people to eat.

>>92523009
He wanted to rape Joyce. The girl with the bat is an overprotective, "big sister" type character. We don't know quite when she first heard him talking, so it's possible she saw Ryan grabbing Joyce's arm and such.

>Stories don't work when characters act as if they have the same knowledge as the audience.
Correct. Willis hasn't figured that one out yet.

>>92523212
Yay for soon-to-be-jobless Robin. I am just going to sit and wait for the Cadbury cereal to return and for Willis to justify it in this setting. Way to not find out the intern's name.
>>
>>92523212
At this point, I'm convinced that all of this is just Willis cleaning out Robin's political cabinet so that she can break away from that part of her personality and become Leslie's live-in mistress. That part about Freida talking to her lawyer? It'll never come up again. The guy with the beard? As if he'll do anything. We'll never see HIM again either.

Anyways, I assume Robin will mysteriously learn competence in time to find and publicly doxx "Ryan" just before "Ryan" finds, corners, and yells at Dorothy in a public area where nobody is listening to the two. Or something like that.
>>
File: Robin DeSanto.png (208KB, 915x638px) Image search: [Google]
Robin DeSanto.png
208KB, 915x638px
Felt like doodlin' Robin.
>>
>>92523212
>Who else on earth would be your campaign manager now?!
>Campaign staff sometimes manage your social media
>Becky is tweeting for Robin without her knowledge
Becky is going to be her campaign manager.
>>
>>92523212
Yeah, firing them for what again? Doing their job? For not knowing one of their interns was a rapist, even though no one knew because it's not like there was a report out about him or anything?
>>
>>92523379
I'd represent those. With my face.

>>92523380
I can see that happening.
Oh, no. What if Robin AND Becky move into Leslie's home? Becky sleeps on the couch and Robin and Leslie sleep together in Leslie's room.
>>
>>92523379
Heyyy! Good to see ya still lurkin' around these parts. Your doodle is better than the original, as always
>>
>>92523486
It really is the most convoluted way for Willis to set up a 3 way lesbian slipshine comic amIright?
>>
>>92523543
If I were Willis -- and I thank God, Jesus, Buddha, and Xenu that I am not -- I'd use this as a set-up for Becky and Dina's first time. Leslie and Robin end up on some kind of lesbian road trip and ditch the county for a weekend, allowing for Dina to spend the night at Becky's place, opening the way for the two to finally have the awful sex we know that Willis will illustrate despite how much he thinks that sex is a beautiful act of intimacy and togetherness.

(Y'know, it's really weird that Willis chooses to illustrate intimacy with people making faces like they just dropped a crate on their foot when they cum.)

Anyways, Willis could pretend to be artsy by having Leslie and Robin stretch each other's clits like taffy in a hotel at the same time. It also cuts down on the actual amount of artwork he'd need to draw for the Becky/Dina sex scene.
>>
>>92523656
It would just be Dina and Becky holding hands while naked, then switching the Robin and Leslie doing their disturbing stuff, and then returning to a panel of a copy-pasted panel of Dina and Becky holding hands again, but they're sweaty and Dina asks Becky if her performance was satisfactory.
>>
Haha whoops
http://i.imgur.com/c8pA7R2.png
http://i.imgur.com/DGju4Dr.png
>>
>>92524425
In a just world, this is what would've happened.
>>
File: 1455745260414.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1455745260414.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>92524425
nice
>>
>>92524321
Naturally, the title will be "Becky Performs A Sex".
>>
>>92524425
so officially would this be the only "lesbian" thing becky the lesbian has actually done?
>>
>>92524713
She made out with her roommate, Kaitlin. Not sure if there was any hands going under the clothes, but she's definitely made out with her. Wouldn't be surprised if she's done some masturbation, if that counts for anything.
>>
>>92524843
girls kissing girls doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>92524899
So... a person who identifies as a woman-loving-woman has kissed another woman... hasn't done anything to be a lesbian?
>>
File: howard carla.png (122KB, 682x332px) Image search: [Google]
howard carla.png
122KB, 682x332px
>>92523212
When did she get indoors? I thought they were standing outside of Leslie's house?
>>
>>92524425
hey there, mac'
good to see you out of that hugbox, and drawing different stuff
>>
>>92475824
I forgot this was Amazi-Amber's fault.

She's not doing the voice. Is this before the voice was a thing, or what
>>
>>92525391
Nah, she left Leslie's and presumably drove herself to her campaign HQ
>>
>>92525950
Without pants?
>>
>>92526159
Yep. And somehow without being followed by a small media army.
>>
>>92526159
I once drove halfway across a state without pants on.
>>
>>92526247
The media circus was apparently something like 3 people.
>>
>>92522572
Man, why couldn't Willis keep Becky's hairstyle as something he can actually draw?
>>
>>92526627
All he has to do is stop drawing the eye through the hair and it'd be fine. If he wanted the audience to see both her eyes he could have her push her hair behind her ear.
>>
>>92522572
>ran away to Joyce at IU
>Anderson to IU is 93.5 miles
How did she get there? With no money?
>>
>>92526892
It'll be explained in a Slipshine.
>>
>>92526916
Lots of old ladies on the Greyhound that need servicing!
>>
>>92526916
Speaking of which, is there a place where I can see all of his fuck zone shit without paying money?
>>
>>92523212
Christ... every day I come on these threads and tell myself "it can't possibly get any more retarded"

... and every day I'm proven wrong. I don't know why I do this to myself.
>>
File: 1451672226707.png (18KB, 133x242px) Image search: [Google]
1451672226707.png
18KB, 133x242px
>>92524425
>>
>>92527035
>when you think you're going to have to prostitute yourself in the toilet of a Greyhound for bus fare to a homely 60-something lesbian only for her to break down over her wife leaving and her kids no longer speaking with her so you spend two hours comforting her and you're honestly not sure if you prefer this to whoring yourself out
>>
>>92527148
sauce? that art style looks familiar
>>
---“Joyce and Walky” Dump---
http://pastebin.com/5MwZPhsE

---Patreon-Only Bonus Strips---
http://imgur.com/a/X5kU9

---VA Anon’s generous voice-over work---
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pi3rlni1v293g/DoA_and_Shortpacked

>>92527089

Please keep discussion of the document to as much of a minimum as possible. If you want to talk to me directly about it, write me at [email protected].

Free Pinups
http://itswalky.deviantart.com/gallery/37947681/Pin-Up-Week

ACO Smut collection:
http://desuarchive.org/aco/thread/1131190

Doc:

Also, hi, GirlAnon here. Facebook sent the same message about me reporting my ex, that they wanted me to send them links and stuff, despite me already doing that. I have no idea what they want anymore. They're still being nice about it, but I'm just baffled by how I can send them pages and pages of stuff and they're still like "???????" at me.

>>92527156
A lot of camgirls and other types of sex workers have certain clients that would just rather talk to them and such. I'm not sure Becky is capable of the restraint it would take to not butt in with her own opinion.
>>
Official DoA timelines:
http://www.ci-n.com/~jcampbel/doatimeline.html
http://walkypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dumbing_of_Age_Timeline
>>
>>92527203
Yeah, it's not uncommon for people to use sex workers as therapists.

Re-send them everything they ask for,
but take screencaps of you doing so. If they keep asking for information you've already sent them, contact Facebook's customer service dept. and complain.
>>
>>92527271
I am going to revel so much in getting rid of this guy that I might drown in happiness. Thank you so much for the advice! I figured out that it actually lets you upload more than one thing, so I hope they're ready to see all the documentation I have. I have a lot of it because I knew this day would come... but also because he's a blithering idiot and I enjoy schadenfreude in the same sense that I enjoy ripping on Willis and DoA.

---

Prediction time!

Will we ever see Robin's assistants again?
Will Becky become her new assistant?
Will Robin become jobless at last?
Will we switch scenes?
Who will Ryan stalk next?
Will he follow Dorothy to her dorm?
When will Robin put pants on?

Also, the more I think about how Willis hasn't decided if he'll have Ryan get caught, the madder I get. Especially since that's only stated on his Tumblr. People who don't keep up with him on there would expect Ryan to eventually get caught. After all, this is supposed to be a realistic comic, not a Batman-y one. Hahahahahaha, yeah, right.
>>
>>92526627
For someone as lazy as Willis, he sure does make his own life difficult.
>>
>>92523212
Robin is really purposely written to allow a rapist to get away?
>>
>>92475447
Is he actively trying to make Mary cute now? Did he realize her potential?
>>
Whatever happened to dewd? Did we finally finish him off, or did he just lose motivation?
>>
>>92524425

That's a big tongue
>>
>>92528822
last I heard he was trying to kickstart an animation completely unrelated to his just-as-bad-as-DoA animation.

It didn't succeed.
>>
>>92528822
>>92529331

That guy's not playing with a full deck.
>>
>>92527963
No.
Yes.
Yes, but she'll get another one.
Yes.
Walky.
Yes.
She'll switch to skirts.

>>92529363
He's got an enviable attitude of "never say die."
>>
>>92527963
>Will we ever see Robin's assistants again?
Probably not.

>Will Becky become her new assistant?
Depends on if Robin continues to pursue reelection or if she's actually decided to give it all up to live as a human pet to Leslie.

>Will Robin become jobless at last?
in b4 she gets a job at Galasso's Pizza.

>Will we switch scenes?
Eventually.

>Who will Ryan stalk next?
My money's on Sal, actually, since she's on campus and is probably the first person that Ryan would recognize.

>Will he follow Dorothy to her dorm?
Depends on whatever Ryan's intentions are.

>When will Robin put pants on?
Tomorrow. That is, tomorrow in the Dumbiverse.

>this is supposed to be a realistic comic, not a Batman-y one.
I'd love to take a look at the strips that Willis started making post-Shortpacked and see if there's a definite shift in realism and tone after he ended SP. It might have been the case that SP was tying Willis down when writing for DOA, and now that it's over he's free to do as he pleases.
>>
>>92529960
>My money's on Sal, actually, since she's on campus and is probably the first person that Ryan would recognize.
It would be pretty great if he saw Amber and instantly recognized that she's Amazi-Girl.
>>
>>92530232
I just remembered that we've seen a preview that has Sal in the Amazi-Girl suit. Five bucks says Willis is going to pull a "Bruce Wayne and Batman show up at the same time because someone else is in the suit" plot.
>>
File: tumblr_oljn6exFY81sm8ur3o1_1280.png (266KB, 600x935px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oljn6exFY81sm8ur3o1_1280.png
266KB, 600x935px
>>92530420
I vaguely recall a strip where Sal was dressed as Amazi-Girl, but I don't see any preview panels for upcoming strips where Sal's back in the suit.

I do have this panel from 22 May 2017, though. Looks like Dorothy and Walky make it to the dorm in one piece.
>>
>>92530486
That might be it. Can you think of any other reason why Sal would be in the suit?
>>
>>92530507
My guess would've been that Amber gets captured and Sal uses that tracker app to find her stuff, takes the uniform and tries to go save her, but convinces Danny to come help.

But then I remembered that she deleted that app. It could still happen, but how she finds her room and costume would be tricky.
>>
>>92523379
Good stuff.
>>
>>92530553
Danny would be the most logical guess. The most Willis guess would be that Amber arranged the suit to be delivered to Sal in case she was ever captured.
>>
>>92530507
I just combed through the DOA archives and I didn't see any strips with Sal in the Amazi-Girl suit. Maybe I was hallucinating.

Anyways, I can only assume that Amazi-Girl had enough preptime to make a suit for Sal that fits her measurements, leading to a punchline about how Amber got Sal's measurements in the first place. Personally, I'm still waiting for Amber to have a mental breakdown since nobody can figure out how her DID works, primarily because her form of DID doesn't exist.
>>
>>92531275
I'm pretty sure it was just a preview panel of some kind.
>>
>>92531525
Yeah, I found it, it's from July last year, so it's kinda weird that it hasn't appeared in a strip yet.
>>
>>92531659
Mind posting it?

Also, I thought of something.

1. The two new characters that Willis made up might be Robin's new assistants should she continue to pursue politics instead of just mooching off of Leslie.
2. Their names are Mindy and Anna.

Mindy. Anna.

MindyAnna.

Mindiana.
>>
File: 1394887377035[1].png (167KB, 550x765px) Image search: [Google]
1394887377035[1].png
167KB, 550x765px
>>92531737
I don't really care for the preview panels, but this is it. Originally shared in a post on July 20 2016.

I think I thought it might be a dream because of how Sal is drawn, but Willis has been drawing characters thicker so it doesn't actually have to mean anything. He has done dream sequences where people replace others like that, though.
>>
>>92532050
Actually, now that I stop and think, I'm pretty sure this is an edit of a really old panel, not a preview. From after Amazi-Girl beat up her dad. That would explain the huge time gap.
>>
>>92527093
Just come in with the mindset "Oh boy, I bet this is gonna be fucking retarded."

That way it becomes a comfort knowing that you were proven right once again.
>>
File: tumblr_ojcux3hE9s1sk59o3o1_500.jpg (106KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojcux3hE9s1sk59o3o1_500.jpg
106KB, 500x667px
>>92532050
>>92532089
Yeah, looks like it was just an edit.

I do wonder if Willis has given thought to Sal being Amazi-Girl outside of the occasional joke.
>>
>>92523423
They were hired to assist her and advise het in maintaining her professional image. Their suggestions were against what she stood for morally, so she fired them because she was no longer satisfied that they were giving her proper advice. To be honest, this is the one sound judgement I've seen her make.

There's a fine line between not being a "yes man" and overstepping your boundaries.

She should have aquired more info on the alleged date rapist though.
>>
>>92532256
Given their advice, odds are pretty good the two of them knew nothing. And probably wouldn't tell her if they did, because it's apparently a scandal to turn in a rapist intern.
>>
>>92532256
The problem is that Robin's moral call was to immediately turn over Ryan's personal information to a social media campaign. They have no legal authority to do anything. From a legal perspective the only thing the cops have that wouldn't be disputed is Ryan's presence at the party. The victim has no recollection of the attack, the only witness to the actual attack wasn't there for most of it and beat the shit out of the accused with a baseball bat with only her word that it was self-defense, and there is zero evidence of anything. About they only thing they can do is fire Ryan. It's not like firing someone immediately erases all evidence of their existence.

>>92532334
Having a rapist intern is a scandal, period. Outside of firing him they can't do anything other than turn his information over to the cops if they come calling without immediately getting slapped by a lawsuit.
>>
>>92532050
There was another preview panel that included Fart-chan, a Jeph Jacques character. It's dumb to do misleading preview panels. Why do them at all if you're going to heavily edit them?
>>
>>92533718
Was it just a cameo?
>>
>>92534596
necrobump
>>
>>92476664
I did an internship at a magazine company that insisted on double spacing. Had no idea why they wanted something so dumb, but now I do - thanks, Anon!
>>92481242
>his dedication to to rape that is approaching old-DC Dr. Light's
Hey, that was just post-2003 Dr Light!
>>92491832
RanierWolfcastle.gif
>>92496953
Yoto is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
>>92498315
F
>>
File: That word.gif (994KB, 450x248px) Image search: [Google]
That word.gif
994KB, 450x248px
>>92534596
No, Fart-chan wasn't in the final copy of the strip.

>>92534826
See pic.

>>92535290
Yay! I was useful for a few seconds!
>>
>>92535511
it was on page 10 you hurried to post to keep this thread alive for longer despite having nothing worth posting
>>
>>92535549
That wasn't even me. It really, legitimately doesn't matter. We're still having discussions. Deal with it. Or hide the thread.
>>
>>92534826
>>92535549
see
>>92520419

You are a sad little retard
>>
File: 1465074227604.png (327KB, 1081x526px) Image search: [Google]
1465074227604.png
327KB, 1081x526px
>>
File: 1484534094271.png (347KB, 946x812px) Image search: [Google]
1484534094271.png
347KB, 946x812px
>>92536675
>>
File: 2013-09-04-placate.png (351KB, 1000x334px) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-04-placate.png
351KB, 1000x334px
I feel like Joyce's mom and Ethan's mom could have some interesting conversations.
>>
>>92537353
Instead of arguing over who's the better housewife or home chef, they argue over whose children are greater disappointments.
>>
>>92537760
We should vote for that as a bonus strip sometime.
>>
>>92537353
Oh!!!!!!! Now I know who the female main character from Girls shitfest storytime reminds me of!!
>>
>>92532596
>Robin's moral call was to immediately turn over Ryan's personal information to a social media campaign
She wasn't involved in the posting of Ryan's pictures and whatnot. She's almost entirely not involved since she lacks more information than anyone else.
>>
File: 1466293310227.png (17KB, 273x281px) Image search: [Google]
1466293310227.png
17KB, 273x281px
>>92536880
>>
>>92532256
>Their suggestions were against what she stood for morally

Robin? Moral?
>>
>>92535549
And why does that matter to you, pray tell.
>>
>>92528822
He was gone for a while and came back for a couple of posts. And then gone again.

Anyone have some decent parodies we haven't seen?
>>
>>92532256
She could have gotten information from Frieda, then fired both of them. It's not hard to control your impulses long enough to ask "Okay, his name's not Ryan. What is his name then? What we do know about him? Has anyone seen him lately?"

While I understand why she didn't agree with their advice, she needs facts, not opinions. Get the facts, then ditch them.
>>
>>92540808
>>
>>92542814
I wish I had been keeping up with Willis before his downfall during Shortpacked. Maybe then I would have not gotten sucked into this crapfest.
>>
File: I miss the old Willis.jpg (117KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
I miss the old Willis.jpg
117KB, 900x720px
>>92543899
I was, and I got sucked in anyway
>>
>>92527093
You don't get on Mr. Willis' Wild Ride to see things get better, you are just waiting to see how bad it could get. Sometimes our old friend Walky sets the ride on fire.
>>
>>92527963
>Will Robin become jobless at last?
Until she loses the election and her replacement is sworn in, Robin will have a job.

You think if Robin committed suicide, Roz would do more than milk it for sympathy and celebrity.
>>
>>92546253
Would that be in the year following the election? Cause if so it'll be like 20 years from now, give or take.

What if the "sapphair" causes a scandal, could she get prematurely ousted from office?
>>
File: 20170520_201447.png (342KB, 1440x1207px) Image search: [Google]
20170520_201447.png
342KB, 1440x1207px
Willis has no room to criticize his past art.
>>
>>92546615
There will be some issues, but I bet this comic generally looks more pleasing than what he's doing now. The style he's settled into now with DoA is a bummer.
>>
File: I'm already a rapist Joyce.png (64KB, 180x331px) Image search: [Google]
I'm already a rapist Joyce.png
64KB, 180x331px
>>92474604
Will Punished Ryan finally make his debut?
>>
>>92547436
Shit, what if "Ryan" is a set of twins? The one from Robin's rally had a facial scar by coincidence. It would explain why the scar seemed to move between "Ryan" appearances.
>>
>>92527184
Looks like under his tail
>>
>>92547570
Nah, he referred to the party directly during the stupid fight scene. If it were a twin, "Ryan" wouldn't have known anything at all, and reacted with confusion or fear.

Either Ryan is his real name and he signed up as an intern under a pseudonym, or vice versa.
>>
>>92545912
Eugh, great drawing of Joyce by Wills, but Walky looks like some creepy male love doll that Joyce is just using as a pillow.
>>
What if Ryan is just his last name
>>
>>92548032
Not only that, but Walky's foot is bent at a 90-degree angle.

>>92548070
in b4 his last name is Ryan and his uncle's name is Paul.
>>
>>92545912
I honestly don't think Willis knows how normal humans hold spoons
>>
>>92548320
Between this and the bonus strip with Roz/Robin's Sister Whose Name Begins With R, I agree.
>>
>>92550053
Her name is Riley.
>>
File: tater_tots.png (255KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
tater_tots.png
255KB, 1000x333px
>>92548320
>>92550053
>>92555382
Poor Riley. Doomed by a cruel god to live on a diet of nothing but cereal and tater tots. The crippling lack of nutrition must be why she never appears to move much in her bonus strips.
>>
>>92546615

Criticizing with his newfound SJW filter doesn't help either.
>>
>>92556371
if hes not gonna bother drawing more than one picture why doesnt he just make it one panel
>>
File: funk.png (333KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
funk.png
333KB, 1000x333px
In tonight's cop-out scene change, Billie cracks out a useless piece of etymology trivia that almost no reasonable person would have any business knowing off of the top of their heads.

We also learn that Walky, unsurprisingly, probably smells like some combination of sweat, shit, and stale Cheetos.
>>
>>92558419
Remember when Ryan was stalking after Dorothy and/or Walky? Good times, good times.
>>
>>92558419
I....this...that....it....

What?
>>
>>92558419
Still a massive cunt after all these strips.
>>
>>92556371
Mama DeSanto spent too much time running around with her trekkie boytoy to care for her children. You want to know who has prostituted themselves for a pickle loaf sandwich? Roz, that's who.

>>92557589
Banter is hard to make visually dynamic. It's probably Willis' best attempt at doing a back-and-forth, quickly paced and with three jokes.
>>
>>92558419

Oh, it's a mansplaining joke. Guess Willis felt it was finally time to tap *that* particular vein.
>>
>>92558419
Are those blue dots in panel 2 and 5 suppose to be Walky's musk?
>>
>>92558782
I think they're just dorm door decorations, but I honestly wouldn't have put it past Willy to make the odd choice to make stink lines into blue dots
>>
I don't understand what's going on. Did I miss something?

Robin looks for a guy. The girl says she has his name wrong. Then they say she can't pick a bone with him because he has sympathizers. What sympathizers? How does anyone else know who he is? Do they know his name?
What was the, "that's not his name," thing about? What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>92558419
I don't even know if that different etymological origin thing is true? I mean I'm sure Willis either learned it in college or read an article on some "smart" writer blog. But I think it just has to be spelled and pronounced the same, although often just the spelling will do.

I dunno how Dorothy deals with Walky's grossness.
>>
>>92558419

Cannot wait to see the comments on this. I'm going to assume they'll give me cancer.
>>
>>92559162
The sole reason we didn't get his real name is because Willis used the power of absolute shit writing to drag this cliffhanger on for god knows how long.
>>
>>92559686
He's only halfway through the year and needs something strong to end his next collection with. It's either this or Ethan and Mike fucking.
>>
>>92560197
Well there is probably a better way of doing it then just have Robin not even follow up AT ALL about what his real name was instead of just going "you're fire gtfo."
>>
>>92523064
i believe that supposed to be read as "charmingly without tact"
>>
>>92559176
>I don't even know if that different etymological origin thing is true?
dictionary.com has
>each of two or more words having the same spelling but different meanings and origins
and
each of two words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling
with an OR in there, so use the definition you prefer, i guess
>>
>>92558419
This strip is pretty weird.

Bullie deflects in panel 2 with what seems like almost playful insulting. The "right?" at the end invites Walky to respond, rather than shut him down.

But then she finds the idea that he would joke back with him so infuriating that she doubles down? And then she gets super mad at him explaining his joke while showing how much of an English dork she is, despite never really showing any aptitude for writing or language, and never really coming off as book smart ever in the history of the strip. She's pretty socially intelligent, but I'm pretty sure her writing has been described as shitty by the newspaper editor, and she has never said any thing book smart like this.

(I actually I really like doing Walky's type of response to words with multiple meanings and I like the "picking the wrong meaning of a word" construction as a joke. And it's a nice way of characterizing. Like even here, you can tell that Walky is trying to be a pretentious douche and deflect Billie's insult.)
>>
>>92558419
So when do you think Billie's going to have the crushing realization that, aside from Ruth, she has no body to hang out with at college?

She's literally the clingy girlfriend.
>>
File: willis you hack.png (128KB, 410x158px) Image search: [Google]
willis you hack.png
128KB, 410x158px
>>92558419
way to open a dictionary Willy

also he ripped off panel 3
>>
>>92562417
I'm pretty sure part of the reason she's so snappy towards Walky is because she's chafing under the knowledge that he's really the only person who wants to hang out with her.
>>
>>92558419
Great way to defend your fucking boyfriend!
>>
File: DorothyBuhbye.png (37KB, 111x246px) Image search: [Google]
DorothyBuhbye.png
37KB, 111x246px
>>92561053
I read a few sources, I even had a book about language that covered similar stuff from a linguistics-adjacent course I took.

It seems like strictly speaking, multi meaning (polysemic) words refer to slight meaning differences, while homonyms refer to words with different origins that happen to be spelt and/or pronounced the same. A lot of things I read argued the separation isn't clear cut, although somehow I doubt an actual linguist would say that. A polysemic example I saw was "newspaper" as the physical object one reads vs "newspaper" as the business entity. "Stalk," referring to a plant shoot (Old English: "stalu") vs the stealthy action (OE: "stealcian") were suggested as homonyms.

But, it seems like semantic shift, which is basically how words take on different meanings can shift a meaning of a word to just being one of multiple polysemes to being a separate homonym. And in general the line seems blurrier than just strictly origin, which makes sense because a lot of words come in from an origin and can gain wildly different meanings while in english use.

One article suggested that you can guess the meaning of a polyseme, but you can't guess the meaning of a homonym, because they are so unrelated. I'd argue that maybe that's the case here, because funk music isn't literally smelly, smokey music, even if those concepts were part of its origin. Now it would more refer to the instrumentation and rhythmic elements.

Anyway, that's more than enough thinking about that for me. Although it's kinda nice to have something brought up that might actually be taught in a university class (outside of gender studies) to think about. Even if it's used for some weird burn.
>>
>>92559176
Two words: Massive Cock
>>
>>92558419
But she still concedes that they have two different meanings. One is a term for a musical styling and the other is for an odor. Way to strawman, Billie.
>>
>>92558419
For a grammar snob, Billie sure doesn't know when to use the word "which."
>>
>>92545912
Walky has hand on dick to hide his boner?

Or discreetly masturbating during boring chick flick?
>>
>>92564280
>Walky is gross
>Dorothy puts up with it because he blows her back out with his wicked long strokes
Sounds good.
>>
>>92565431
Ohhh, shit. I didn't pick up on that one, since I'm usually bad with it too.

Someone needs to let the comments section on the main page know about this at midnight. Then we can all laugh at Willis's failed attempt to sound smart vicariously through Billie.
>>
>>92558419
Normal people don't think "man he got schooled!", they think "bitch can't take a joke"
>>
>>92565284
To be pedantic, the music styling Funk does come from the word funk meaning smell. Very specifically the smell of sweaty sex. Funk, Jazz and Ragtime are all music similar in origin and all named after sexual connotations from the slang of the time.

Willis probably wouldn't know this of course. Because sex is icky and makes dead grandmas cry.
>>
>>92566813
Normal people don't read this comic.
>>
>>92558419
what.
>>
Bet you $5 that his name was Ryan originally, but Willis has retroactively renamed him Donald.
>>
>>92565518
If Joyce was leaning into me, I know I'd have to hide my boner
>>
>>92559176
>I mean I'm sure Willis either learned it in college
I don't believe that is true for a second.
>>
>>92571750
Nah, my money's still on his name being Leland so that Sal has a personal reason to kick his face in.

It really SHOULD be Joyce and Sarah looking for Ryan, not Amber and Sal.
>>
>>92574946
i have this sneaking suspicion that Willis hates Joyce or at least resents how his audience feels about her. it feels like we're supposed to find her more pathetic then we actually do and he doesn't like that so he's been taking the focus off her. you might say that sounds "stupid and pointlessly spiteful" and yeah that would be but that's Willis for you
>>
>>92575300
>Fans say that Sal is using her "YER WHITER THAN ME SO OUR PARENTS LOVE YOU MORE" excuse was her finding excuses for her behaviour
>Willis goes on a tumblr rant that no, Walker is totally whiter than Sal and their parents are racist

So it's one of two things. Either Willis expects us to believe Walky is literally whiter than Sal, despite the only difference in their designs being long hair, OR he himself is being racist by saying Sal "acts blacker".
>>
>>92559246

Don't worry. Robin will ban Cancer.

I swear to God, I don't know if Robin is insane, stupid or a combination of the two.

I can't believe they didn't drop Robin right after she made this promise. Christine O'Donnell got sacked for saying she dabbled in witchcraft. And another of last years Presidential candidates got himself laughed out of the primaries for not knowing What some troubled foreign city was.
>>
>>92571745
what what a quality and needed necrobump
>>
>>92577028
What a sad and pathetic little newfriend >>92520419
Please go back to whatever backwater forum you crawled out of and stop speeding about your fake rules all over /co/
Thread posts: 412
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.