[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be honest: this season is underwhelming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 420
Thread images: 52

File: 1494775374481.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494775374481.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
Let's be honest: this season is underwhelming.
>>
But it started off really strong.
>>
Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees at this point.
>>
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>92441987

Nah, let's be honest, you're just an entitled piece of shit who thinks he's better storytelling than actual talented professionals.
>>
File: AKU'D.jpg (57KB, 457x795px) Image search: [Google]
AKU'D.jpg
57KB, 457x795px
>>92441987
How was the guardian supposed to defeat Aku exactly?

Literally only the OP god-forged sword can hurt him.

Also that's part of the point of the series.

You get your hopes up to have them get crushed by Aku just as Jack's was.
>>
I've enjoyed the season so far

The last episode was better than the last few and the first 3 were great

Hopefully the ending is better than I expect it to be
>>
File: 1494708424249.png (225KB, 469x411px) Image search: [Google]
1494708424249.png
225KB, 469x411px
I'll be honest that I have no complaints about The Guardian being presumely dead.

I mean, he guarded the time portal, Aku said explicitly that he eradicated all the time portals existing, so of course The Guardian would be defeated. Aku can kill anyone by a simple laser blast.
>>
>>92442132
Same but I haven't enjoyed it.

>>92442093
How do you know I am not a professional storyteller? It's better to talk shit about people when you are anonymous.
>>
>>92442076
>>92441987
I disagree
>>
File: 8c0d29e5ceb33f7e40405652ad1c0e43.png (570KB, 1280x1407px) Image search: [Google]
8c0d29e5ceb33f7e40405652ad1c0e43.png
570KB, 1280x1407px
You know, I already miss Scaramouche.

He could have been some generic mook that was just there to get the message to Aku, but he stole the show every scene he was in.
>>
>>92441987
I disagree.

Honestly I never was super attached to the Guardian anyway. It was a cool fight and a cool episode, but I dunno why its open end gets more attention than, say, the Aku Infection one (which is way better) or Jump Good.

I'm not convinced the prophecy isn't going to be fulfilled anyway, and that it was never about that specific portal. Could be Ashi chucks Jack back to the past, we get a fake-out downer ending, and the real ending is Old King Jack returning to the future, having wandered the globe for a way forward in time again.
>>
>>92442129
>How was the guardian supposed to defeat Aku exactly?
>Literally only the OP god-forged sword can hurt him.

The only case I can think of where we see Aku actually get beaten by some other being is the gangster Jack episode, and that one is honestly awful and full of holes besides Jack looking absurdly good in a pinstripe suit.

Season 5 drove home the point that Aku eats armies for breakfast without flexing any real effort. I figure the Guardian just was no match, especially without the sword.
>>
>>92442413
penis lmao
>>
>>92442470
Jump Good is a horrible episode though, I mean seriously
>that ending
>>
File: scaramouche flute.png (135KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
scaramouche flute.png
135KB, 500x428px
>>92442413
Love you too, babe.
>>
Its about the same level of the original series, i dont know where the fuck the "best cartoon ever done" meme came from.
I will concede that chapter 1-3 were fucking amazing outliners.
>>
>>92441987
Underwelming? It's been fucking shit. Everything thats happened thus far could of been fit into one episode. This season is nothing more than a bad fanfiction and the only episode that matters is the last one.
>>
>>92442570
Samurai Jack was just a very, very well executed cartoon that knew what it wanted to do and did that exactly, with panache and good humor and only a few missteps. The characters were simple but likeable broad sketches. Aku is still one of the best cartoon baddies ever. And the voice work was always superb.
>>
File: 1494778047510.png (4MB, 1520x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1494778047510.png
4MB, 1520x3000px
The part that I liked best about this season was shitposting in real time on /co/ while watching the new episodes. It's been something fun to look forward to all week
>>
File: 1486639942218.jpg (12KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
1486639942218.jpg
12KB, 255x200px
These threads are fucking pointless.

Whatever genuine criticism, or comments that isn't sucking Genndy off is "handwaved" as bait and seen as trolling. The way the story has been going I'm nearly completely uninterested in what happens. Ashi dies? Jack may go back to the past? or maybe a happily ever after. I simply do not care enough : neither to I care enough to explain over and over again why this season has been completely underwhelming to a bunch of people who think S5 has been "10/10 KINO".

I will say one thing though, it is undeniable that the way Ashi has been handled as really hurt the episodes. Her character isn't bad, but the writing has come off as completely amateurish and cliche. Sadly like I said previously, there's no reason to carry a conversation with those who think this season has been "perfect". I've seen better stories pulled off in less episodes.
>>
We were all just riding the high from the godlike first 3 episodes
>>
>>92442076
I disagree as well. I feel way more emotionally invested in this season than I was in the previous ones.
>>
>>92442717
This, it's not even a matter of people being blind to it's flaws, they just don't want to see them. And I don't get it either, /co/ is usually really rough on cartoons, but SJ just got a pass on being style over substance and having poor execution for no reason.
>>
>>92442691
2 > 1 > 3 > 8 > 9 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 5
>>
Each season's best episode, ranked:

1. Jack and the Three Blind Archers
5. XCIII (Episode 2)
2. Jack and the Ultra-robots
4. Jack vs. Aku
3. The Birth of Evil Pt. 2
>>
>>92441987
Yes, but there are reasons for it.

It's rushed. They should have had more episodes if they were going to tell this kind of story. It's also shifted from the original format. Instead of self contained stories in usually single episodes, it's continuous. This brings in much more dialogue and it feels off when compared to the original run, especially when you consider the short run we got. The music also isn't the same at all. Whoever they have composing it doesn't 'get it' as much as the original guy.

The look and feel is also obviously different and I'm mixed on it. It doesn't look bad but it's very different. I prefer the original designs, personally, but this also brings in the more mature tone the show is going for, and I understand why, but when put beside the tones of the older seasons, it's just different. The whole season is just a large shift from the first four, and they try really hard to recapture stuff from before but I think it all just clashes with it too much to truly emulate it. It's still the best thing on as right now though, and I'm looking forward to whatever Genndy does for the network next.
>>
>>92442908
It certainly doesn't help that most people trying to criticize the show are using their opinions on what's good and where the story should go as arguments instead of tackling the real weak points of the season.

>SJ just got a pass on being style over substance
This was always the case and nobody ever pretended otherwise
>>
I just wanted to see the fight. I don't care if the Guardian lost.

It's *how* he lost, that I want to see.
>>
>>92443104
>It certainly doesn't help that most people trying to criticize the show are using their opinions on what's good and where the story should go as arguments instead of tackling the real weak points of the season
Not really, things like pacing or shitty character development aren't "opinions", they are facts, just because you refuse to see them it doesn't mean it's true or it's good.
>This was always the case
Wrong? The original more often than not tried to do both, this new season disregards the original's writing in order to make place for a shoehorned romance that they clearly couldn't write in 10 episodes, they wanted to have a conclusion where Jack finds a romance interest but didn't take any effort into making it.
>>
>>92442663

>Everything thats happened thus far could of been fit into one episode.

I've seen a lot of retarded criticism of SJ season five and this is by far the most retarded one I've seen yet.
>>
>>92442093
let's be honest. kill yourself you autistic waifufag
>>
>>92443144
Probably a battle of attrition. He CAN'T hurt Aku so eventually Aku would have won. The actual killing blow would probably be very anti-climactic at that. Aku waiting until the Guardian was too exhausted to move much and then just blasting him with eye beams. Or something like that. Logic dictates that the Guardian probably has limits of that nature. But actually seeing them would be demeaning to the character. That's why this battle is best implied and not actually scene. Some of the magic would be lost. What probably happened is logical and reasonable but also very underwhelming and depressing. Like a somewhat older child finding out magic isn't actually real. It makes sense, but you're still bummed.
>>
>>92441987
Why are people so obsessed about this blue nigger anyways?
>>
>>92442076
I disagree. I'll probably agree after the last episode though.
>>
>>92443374
Have you seen the episode?
>>
>>92443367
>can't come up with a better comeback
>resort to calling him waifu fag
Embarrassing
>>
>>92443399
Yeah I did. So what?
>>
>>92443408
why would i bother coming up with a better comeback to some autist who thinks professional storytellers can't fuck up?
>>
>>92443370
The fuck.

Magic's not real?!

MY ENTIRE LIFE IS A LIE
>>
>>92442076
Disagree

Smug Aku in episode 9 gives me life
>>
>>92443428
Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. But a lot of people 1). Loved the fight and 2). Were pumped with the ending that implied an older, bearded Jack would finally be worthy of using the portal. Then we get a continuation of the series that features an older(looking) and bearded Jack. A lot of people were excited at the prospect of a rematch and having an ending that would bridge the original broadcast with the finale season produced over a decade later. If you didn't get involved in that hype, then yes, you probably don't care at all.
>>
>>92443445
So you admit that thinking takes effort for you?
>>
>>92443497
I mean I can like something and still find it underwhelming.

I love Aku and last episode was great, mainly because of him, but considering how little he has appeared then I would indeed call this season underwhelming
>>
>>92443367
Let's be honest, that's probably just your TWORE anus speaking
>>
>>92443370
>Probably a battle of attrition
Not even that. The only reason aku doesn't squish jack like he did the scotsman army is the sword. You see in the cemetery fight that without its protection jack is powerless despite all of his skill. Now consider that the guardian can't even try to evade aku because he has to protect the time portal.
>>
>>92443370
I like the way you explained it, I pretty much agree with it. Also, nowadays the board would become filled out with the frame in which the guardian is actually killed just the same way it will happen next week when Aku dies
>>
>>92443547
I personally feel like the reason Aku is so great is because he's a looming threat that has such little screen time.

We've seen what happens when characters that're meant to be on the side get put in the spotlight (Cleveland Show, Planet Sheen...)
>>
>>92442093
Being a professional doesn't mean you're talented Much less talented at everything.
Being a great animator doesn't mean you're going to be a great writer..
>>
>>92443063
>The music also isn't the same at all. Whoever they have composing it doesn't 'get it' as much as the original guy.

Second episode had some fucking great music at least.
>>
>>92441987
Shut up about this already, jesus christ
>>
File: IMG_0260.png (763KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0260.png
763KB, 1136x640px
>>92443497
EXTRA
SMUGG
>>
>>92443786
This is a bad argument, there's plenty Aku centric episodes in SJ and he never got tiresome, I'm not saying turn SJ into "Aku's show" but the screentime he got this season is too fucking small.

Ashi, now THAT's a character I could use less of.
>>
"Only ONE MAN has been prophesied to defeat me, and that MAN is the ONLY MAN who can use this time passage"

"And YOU, my man, AIN'T that man."

https://youtu.be/ppMe1I0xVo8

>"You can't use it yet, Samurai Jack. Not yet....Not yet."
>>
>>92443528
>can't come up with a better comeback
>resort to calling him dumb
Embarrassing
>>
>>92443901
Aku's screen time was short because his new voice actor is so fucking awful that Genndy was proabbly too embarrassed to give him more time.
>>
File: Samurai Jack prophesy.png (667KB, 1340x998px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai Jack prophesy.png
667KB, 1340x998px
>>92443913
>>
File: Samurai Jack prophesy2.png (403KB, 1223x702px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai Jack prophesy2.png
403KB, 1223x702px
>>92443953
>>92443913
>>
>>92443953
>>92443994
There are three possibilities.

1. Old King Jack doesn't happen and is retconned
2. They cram the last episode with some forced shit like Jack getting old super fast after killing Aku
3. The end is ambiguous and we never see Jack actually going back to the past or anything

None of these possibilities are particularly nice.
>>
>>92442691
the liveposting for 2 and 3 were fucking hype
>>
>tfw I'm the only one who noticed Jack only killed 5 of the daughters
>>
>>92444088
>Final episode

>Aku is triumphantly holding Jack's sword over his foe

suddenly, a bloodied, massive figure in shredded rags leaps from the rubble and slaps the sword from Aku's hand

the figure lands and straightens up

"I ain't that easy to kill."
>>
>>92444195
that would be fucking fanfic-tier
>>
I disagree.
I just think some faggots are just bitchy that their cult favorite character didn't get an entire episode devoted to them
>>
>>92441987
Or maybe you where just expecting too much?
I don't get this idea that shit wasn't developed enough and that they needed more time to set stuff up.
The original series told the same types of stories in only one episode each, while we get 10 whole episodes to tell them here. If anything, it's being drawn out too much.
Also, why the fuck are people complaining about the romance? I constantly see peoples say that they didn't have enough time to set it up, but they managed to do the exact same shit in one episode of the original series, and everyone fucking loves that episode, it's just that this time the girl isn't literally Aku himself.
I was just hoping for a conclusion to the series, and they decided to give me 9 extra episodes to build up to it, instead of just being Jack dealing with Aku. Why the fuck are people so mad about that? Is it just because it didn't go exactly like you wanted it to? The series has been so hyped over the years that no matter what they had done to finish it, you faggots would have complained.
>>
>>92443547
His appearances are proportioned to how much he used to appear in the first four seasons. As you surely recall, Aku wasn't present in most episodes.
For examplem in season 2 he appeared in 5 episodes, in season 3 in 4 episodes and in season 4 another 4, unless you count his non speaking role in Tale of X-9. The season that had the most Aku was the first season, with 9 episodes.
>>
>>92444271
>Or maybe you where just expecting too much?
The first 3 episodes were pure kino, people are disappointed because the rest wasn't as great.
>>
>>92443913
He said man; no mention of eldritch abominations here. Of all mean only Jack could have beaten him.
>>
>>92443901
>The relationship with Ashi is bad because it's rushed
>Give Ashi less screen time

What did /co/ mean by this?

And did we really need more time for depressed Aku to mope around?
>>
>>92444331
>mean
I mean men.
>>
>>92444304
I get that. I personally liked those the best too, but this whole shit about how Genndy is a hack, and the whole show is ruined, is fucking bullshit.
>>
I think people just like to let their rose-colored lenses get in the way of a good season. Is it perfect? No, but it's pretty damn good and better than a lot of show revivals/continuations/reboots can say. Hell, there are a lot of amazing shows that never got that second chance at all. Of course it's not gonna live up to thirteen years of hype from people who literally grew up watching it. I'm just glad the episodes are solid and the story gets to end.

Basically this >>92444271
>>
>>92444286
Meanwhile in Season 5 we have:

E1: A brief appearance on the phone.
E2: An extended appearance in his citadel, battling depression and dealing with annoying business.
E5: An extended appearance in and around his citadel, fighting rebels.
E6: A brief phone call with Scaramouche.
E7: An extended flashback where he foiled Jack and goaded him into murder.
E9: An extended appearance in his citadel and at Jack's side, where he was in full form.
E10: The final confrontation.

That's 7 out of 10 episodes, 5 if you discount his phone-only appearances.
>>
>>92442138
Except godly beings who he usually gets his shit kicked in by. Remember the Elementals from the water crystal god thing?

Aku sucks against other magical entities, and what the fuck isn't magical about the Guardian?
>Apparently thousands upon thousands of years old
>Practically invincible
>Peerless fighter
>Can eat fucking metal

If Jack couldn't beat Guardian Aku should have got his shit kicked in
>>
>>92444195
so long as he's too beat up to directly fight Aku, using the last bit of his strength to take Jack's sword then conceding "defeat" at the hands of Jack in order to fulfill the prophecy I'm all for this
>>
>>92444286
I mean you really cannot use that as an argument considering this season has an overarching plot and it's whole premise it's to put to rest the "kill Aku" mission Jack had. I get that the premise it's also having an old and tired Jack but that wasn't well done either. As it stands right now I would've prefered a more episodic season with a couple of Aku episodes than one long episode with little Aku on it.

I feel like we've seen and he has done so little that the final fight just feels underwhelming already. Like why the fuck should anyone care that Aku is the evil ruler of the world if he's depressed the whole time? It seems like he isn't doing anything anymore so why act like he's such a big deal?
>>
>>92444427
>If Jack couldn't beat Guardian Aku should have got his shit kicked in
By what? At the end of the day the Guardian has nothing that can harm Aku. No holy weapons or magic of his own. He can be the best fighter ever but if he can't hurt Aku he'll lose every time.
>>
>>92444426
So you admit that he does show up much more in season 5 than people credit him for.
>>
File: rf aku smug.jpg (12KB, 442x346px) Image search: [Google]
rf aku smug.jpg
12KB, 442x346px
>>92443896
>IT WOULD BE A SHAAAME, SAMURAI, IF SOMEONE WERE TO TAKE YET ANOTHER THING FROM YOU THAT YOU LOVE. BUT DON'T WORRY, SAMURAI, YOU'LL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TOGETHER IN THE PIT OF HATE!
>>
>>92444479
The guy was guarding a magical time portal, and his weapons went blow to blow with Jack's magical sword. What makes you think he wouldn't have any owned any magical weapons?
>>
>>92441987
Who knows... we might see a cameo of the Guardian next episode when all of Jack's allies rally up to help him beat Aku.
>>
>>92444526
YOU BROKE MY FAVORITE GLASSES BITCH
>>
>>92444495
I'm agreeing with you. There's been quite the right amount of Aku.
>>
>>92444517
If he had any he would have used them on Jack, and Jack's sword clashes with mundane weapons all the time without them breaking.
>>
>>92444564
Yeah. The longer a mundane weapon faces Jack's sword, the more likely it is to get broken, but he still has specific techniques if he wants to reliably break a weapon in one stroke (he tries and fails to use this on the Scotsman's rune blade).
>>
>>92444357
You can
>Introduce a new character into the plot and develop her well, have her with the character and interact with him and develop their relationship, a feat hardly possible in 10 episodes
or
>have a new character that is non-intrusive to the plot yet have her developed enough so that she will be important yet not essential, this way you can focus on the story without having her ham fisted for development every single one of the 10 (ten) episodes

And Genndy did it all wrong, he didn't have time yet wanted to have her as a main protagonist despite of her being a new character, she just HAD to be integral to the plot, but he couldn't write her, develop her, develop her relationship with Jack, her relationship to Aku and the cult and of course have enough time so Jack and Aku had interesting developments of their own.

Hell, he killed the Scotsman in episode 6 and never mentioned him again until the finale.
>>
did we really need a whole episode for old character cameos?
did we really need a whole episode for sex?

10 episodes and it still had filler
no more seasons
just 10 episodes
nothing more
with filler
>>
>>92444470
>I feel like we've seen and he has done so little that the final fight just feels underwhelming already. Like why the fuck should anyone care that Aku is the evil ruler of the world if he's depressed the whole time? It seems like he isn't doing anything anymore so why act like he's such a big deal?
You see, with this I disagree strongly. This season he has committed some of the most heinous acts we've ever seen him do and much more intense than anything in the previous seasons. Massacring an entire army on his own, destroying all the time portals, goading Jack into getting his hands dirty with the blood of innocents, corrupting Ashi and stealing the sword once more.
Also, he's depressed because he couldn't fight Jack anymore. He can now, he's back to 100%.
And still, episode 5 was a pretty clear indication of why he's a big deal. His government keeps working without him. Criminals keep coming and being sent to destroy villages, the world has not healed yet from the carnage he has inflicted upon it and any attempt to fight him will end in a colossal failure.
>>
>>92444564
>If he had any he would have used them on Jack
And how do we know he didn't? Outside of its effectiveness on Aku you have no indication Jack's sword is magic, it looks like just a regular blade. None of the Guardian's weapons show any more signs of magic than Jack's blade usually does (outside of that one time he prayed to power it up)
>>
>>92444526
>>92441987
>>92444555

Who the fuck cares about the guardian, seriously?
>>
>>92444517
You can have all the magic weapons you want; they are still nothing compared to Jack's sword, in-universe words, "the only thing in the entire universe that can destroy Aku".
>>
>>92444656
The time portals were destroyed years, potentially decades ago. The Scotsman attacked Aku first and despite of Aku giving his hand semen to the cult he really didn't order them to kill Jack or anything, he really didn't do it nor expected it to happen.

If anything you just proved that Aku is not going to do shit unless you bother him at this point, leaving the rest of the world to shit itself while he mops about Jack, but he himself isn't doing anything.
>>
>>92444650
>episode 5
>>
>>92444721
>"the only thing in the entire universe that can destroy Aku"
>what are the gods that almost killed him before
>>
>>92444713
People with autism.
>>
>>92444756
5, right, sorry.
>>
>>92444770
They're gods who don't seem to want to take a personal hand, and have ignored any appeals to intervene.
>>
>>92442413
I want a coat like this.
>>
>>92444713
True fans of the series wanted to see the guardian. Ashi is just some random slut that we don't care about. She was a waste of 9 episodes, taking up all the screen time only to be used as a shitty plot device. If you aren't pissed about the guardian getting effectively retconned, you're just a cancer waifufag - also the probable target audience that adult swim wanted and forced genndy to write for.
>>
>>92444746
And what did he use to do in the original seasons aside from receiving people in his castle, sitting in his throne, sending people after Jack and once in a while confronting him himself? As X-9 put it, Aku is a lazy bastard. He had robotic armies built to take over the world for him when he could have done it no problem just because it was taking too long of his literally infinite lifetime. Aku's been doing in season 5 the same things he did from 1 to 4.
>>
>>92444655
>did we really need a whole episode for old character cameos?

Yes. It could have been so much cooler

>did we really need a whole episode for sex?

No.
>>
>>92444770
Gods are not things, silly. Besides, nobody knows that they can kill Aku; hell, I doubt anyone aside from maybe Jack remembers them. Not even Aku was conscious when they almost killed the black mass that used to be him.
>>
File: 2a2[1].jpg (27KB, 680x357px) Image search: [Google]
2a2[1].jpg
27KB, 680x357px
>>92444831
>>
>>92444835
>if you like Ashi you're not a true fan!
>I represent every single person who has seen the original series!

Fuck off you autist.
>>
>>92444848
You could argue he was trying to kill Jack and destroy the time portals, and even then he had time to tell stories to kids over how bad he was and occasionally send armies to enslave planets and hit. In season 5 he just doesn't care.
>>
>>92442507
Honestly, I would have been a little more happy if Aku vs Guardian actually ended in a stalemate.

Then Aku sent him to the future or something because fuck it why not.
>>
>>92444895
It takes a certain face and body to wear those.
>>
>>92444941
In season 5 he doesn't need to tell children any tales; there are already cultists devoted to him. Cultists he bothered to visit at least once.
And yes, apathy is a new feature of his character, but despite it he still does pretty much the same he used to save for killing Jack because he literally run out of options. Nobody he sends can kill him, age won't kill him, and Aku certainly can't kill him.
>>
>>92444835
And the guardian was just a random fucker who showed up in one episode, and then was never mentioned again.
None of the "character of the week" had any special significance (besides the Scotsman) and only existed as a plot devise, or to teach Jack some sort of lesson.
>>
>>92444088
>Old King Jack is Jack from even farther in the future, who found a portal in time but decided to use it to go back and save Ashi
>>
>>92441987
Let's be really honest
you hyped yourself up to the point of near oblivion with your vision of how everything "should" go. there's nothing wrong with that and the show like anything has valid criticism but the people getting buttblasted because for example the Guardian is probably dead is silly.
>>
>>92445004
Then we agree he's not a threat anymore? He hasn't done shit.
>>
all time portals are gone
both jack and aku already made that clear several times
there's no happy ending here
>>
>>92445052
The world is in the state it is because of him. If he wasn't a threat anymore to the world then Jack wouldn't have to worry about anything. Did you miss the part about this show taking place in a world in which the villain has already won?
>>
>>92442129
>How was the guardian supposed to defeat Aku exactly?

I don't take issue with this. We don't know anything about the Guardian other than he beat Jack in what seemed like his prime at the time, but a lot can happen in 50 years. Maybe the Guardian also lost hope and let his guard down. Aku could have snook up and drowned him in evil goop, he's beaten Jack several times before.
>>
>>92444655
>It's a "/co/ newfag doesn't understand what filler means" episode
>>
File: 2380677-204-hank-hill-whatever.jpg (28KB, 208x210px) Image search: [Google]
2380677-204-hank-hill-whatever.jpg
28KB, 208x210px
Maybe if you didn't put all your hopes and dreams into this season, hoping it'd be the best thing since Jesus Christ, you would see it's still an enjoyable ride.
>>
>>92445150
a 20 minute sex joke is filler
>>
>>92445150
Filler applies to any episode that deviates from the main plot in PLOT driven show you fucking sperg.
>>
>>92445052
He never really did anything in the old seasons either, besides mess with Jack every so often, if he knew it could be to his advantage.
Aku was never a great villain because he did all sorts of evil shit all the time. Aku was great villain because he could do all sorts of evil shit all the time, but instead focused on messing with Jack, and being funny while he did it. If you veer saw Aku as particularly threatening, then you either didn't watch the show, or had a really fucking weird definition of threatening.
>>
>>92442784
emotionally invested in what? fapping to Ashi?
>>
>>92445181
>what is developing the relationship of two characters
>>
>>92444835
>Calls people autistic
>"I am a TRUE Samurai Jack fan"

wew
>>
>>92445131
Except he hasn't won because Jack is alive? You haven't won if you can still lose. Either way Aku gave up, realistically speaking if Jack doesn't want to save the past he can just stop trying and Aku will stop attacking out of fear of getting fucked by Jack.

Which is a shame honestly, at first I thought Aku fucked with Jack and intentionally didn't show up to break Jack's spirit in hopes of turning him to suicide, but he doesn't even have a peak on Jack's life anymore despite of it being awfully convenient because he doesn't have the sword. Him being depressed doesn't make sense because A) He's "winning" the fight against Jack and so should be happy and B) If he's depressed he's not a threat anymore.
>>
>>92442413
But... Can he do the Fandango?
>>
>>92445218
Jack and Ashi's final outcome. They've both had extremely harsh lives and they were so close to being happy.
>>
>>92445238
>develop "relationship"
>180 it within the first minutes of episode 9

what a good use of episode time.
>>
>>92445199
I'm talking about S5 Aku not being threatening, maybe you should read the replies before joining the conversation.
>>
File: 1439477050264.jpg (191KB, 1600x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1439477050264.jpg
191KB, 1600x1584px
>>92444835
>True fans of the series

You can't be real.
>>
>>92445313
And Aku has never been threatening, as I just said. Maybe you should read my post before replying to it.
>>
>>92445278
The idea is that both Jack and Aku gave up. And still, I don't care how you put it, even if there's someone out there trying to take him down, the world is still his. By your definition winning is impossible because you're at the risk of losing at every single occasion in life, whether real or fictional.

Also, despite being depressed, the whole fucking world is still his and still works by his rules. If you don't consider that being a threat, I don't know what you think that would be.
>>
File: TheGuardian.jpg (97KB, 1289x818px) Image search: [Google]
TheGuardian.jpg
97KB, 1289x818px
It's fanfic tastic

but a beat up, bloodied, glasses-free Guardian showing up one last time to aid Jack in his time of need is too cool to pass up.
>>
>>92445297
180? They're still in the same page they were at the end of episode 8, buddy.
>>
>>92442717
Seconded,

It appears that we all now care about making sides and proving the other side wrong instead of objectively look at what we like.

If we want things to improve in entertainment, we have to say when things are good and when things are bad in order to improve.
>>
>>92442717
>These threads are fucking pointless.

This needs to be a banner.
>>
>>92445349
>Aku has never been threatening
Did you not watch the original seasons of what? He killed entire civilizations for fun and very often made people miserable just for shits and giggles.
>>92445364
>the whole fucking world is still his and still works by his rules
>the Woolies are still free
>the Archers built an entire civilization
>Olivia is free to rave in the middle of a forest
Yeah I don't see it. If anything Aku is at most neutral in the world, he doesn't care, I would hardly call that being a ruler.
>>
>>92445324
fuck off fag, look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1kxbLkqKCg

top comments are almost all about how ashi ruined this season and that everyone expected to see a rematch with the guardian. but I don't expect most people on this board to be on the same side. At the end of the day, most people here frequest this board because they just want to see different cartoons/comics, not because they actually care about their stories and canon.
>>
>>92444650
Don't pretend that any amount of development would change your bias of a character.

>I don't like this character
>Therefore any significance she has towards the plot is "forced"

Really?
>>
>>92443286
I agree, and we also have to look at the possibility that the writers or even Gendy did not know how to end the series.

If they could, then why center the story on a new character on a new conflict instead on following the natural progression of Jack and let the new characters, if they really wanted them in, flow with the original struggle.

I mean, there are parts of SJ that have great things to go on like Demongo but are not used in the new season.
>>
>>92445395
If anything, it trotted forward a few steps, with Ashi probing for info about Jack's love life and Jack obliquely admitting he loved her.
>>
>>92442076
I disagree. Its been great besides the pacing, which is just a symptom of it being just 10 episodes.
>>
I always thought it was weird how they tell how Aku ruined the world but there's untouched nature and peaceful cities everywhere, I hoped S5 would make the world bleaker.
>>
>>92445471
Yes, he was threatening to the people of the world because he could kill then when ever he wanted, and he let bandits and other fuckers roam the lands and fuck with them at their leisure. But he was never threatening to the viewer. We could see what a goofy fucker he was.
In season 5 he's still threatening to the people of the world because he can still kill them on a whim, and still lets bandits and and other fuckers roam the lands and fuck with them at their leisure.
>>
>>92445471
>there are villages of innocent people still being ravaged to this day
>the island where the Guardian rested is nothing but a vast desert
>children being turned into monsters

If the world is a slighly better place than it used to is because of Jack, and that is still countered by the assassins like Scaramouche and Dominator fucking over innocent people in their attempts to bring Jack out of hiding.
>>
>>92445194
There can be subplots in a story, autist.
>>
>>92445544
>le bias
Stop, use a fucking argument instead of just forcing this shitty strawman where all criticism is deflected because "ur just an ashi hater LUL". Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>92441987
Ok I'll be honest: No, it's not, it's been fantastic up until now.
>>
>>92445591
Aku seems to like to keep beautiful things around so he can smash the shit out of them for laughs periodically. And there are large swathes of the planet that seem to be desert, total wasteland, or industrial hells.
>>
File: 1493941254218.png (16KB, 936x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1493941254218.png
16KB, 936x1106px
>>92444835
>true fans of the series

Let me guess, you're underage?
>>
>>92445562
Exactly. One of the best things about their more limited number of episodes is how each episode is always moving forward.
>>
File: 1489937970189.png (770KB, 936x567px) Image search: [Google]
1489937970189.png
770KB, 936x567px
>>92442166
It's pretty amazing how people still resort to namecalling on a site where nobody knows anyone.
>>
>>92445591
The thing about Aku is that he doesn't just pragmatically destroys everything. He leaves a slight glimmer of hope to be crushed over and over for as long as he desires. That was the point of the scene in the dead forest.
>>
>>92445624
still makes it filler.
>>
>>92445606
>>92445620
>Aku is threatening because he sends his buffoons to try and kill Jack
But that's not how it works, Aku should be threatening by himself, not because of others
>B-but it was the same in the old show
No? Aku was always checking up on Jack and waiting to go to fuck him as soon as he could, it's just that he had to be careful because he could die by the Sword. In this new season he doesn't even expect the Bounty Hunters to kill Jack, they are disposable faggots that he sends because he has to, not because he cares. Scatbot telling him about the sword wasn't even expected by him and as soon as he realized he was wrong he was ready to fuck off in that instant.
>>
>>92445738
Filler is the plot equivalent buzzword to Mary Sue.
Basically, what you people call something you don't like but can't be bothered to explain why.
>>
>>92445780
>what is character development
Anyone would get depressed after 50 years.
>>
>Random anons hype up a singular character from a singular episode of an episodic series
>Convince everyone that there's going to be an EPIC RETURN even though it's explicitly stated in the story that the character's entire reason for existing is gone
>Get assmad and start screeching about how the story is "so disappointing" because they didn't shoehorn in a once-off character that has no thematic merit to the season other than "they're badass" and would require the /entire fucking ending/ to revolve around them if they existed

Fucking garbage. I can't wait until this is over so people like you can go silent until the next "big thing" happens so you can shit all over it like the ebin contrarians you are.
>>
>>92445591
Aku's gotten lax over 50 years, plenty of time for things to grow back

He'll probably ravage it all again once Jack is out of the way
>>
>>92445780
Aku is still threatening by himself. Or did you happen to miss episode 9?
And the point of Aku's character in season 5 was that he was as tired of the conflict as Jack was. If he constantly checked on Jack we couldn't have had the plot of Jack losing the sword. The idea is that both of their presence torments the other without really being aware they're doing so.
>>
>>92445633
>We should remove this character out of the picture entirely
>Even though she is necessary to the plot and makes sense for it
>No I'm not a hater

k
>>
>>92445780
>Aku should be threatening by himself, not because of others
Well that's how it's always been. Most people of the world has never even seen Aku, and are only scared of him because of the people that works for him, or from what they've heard about him doing somewhere else.
It's like a king or emperor. No one really fears them, but rather the armies and power they wield.
And I never said he didn't fuck with Jack, since I specifically pointed that out. I said he was never a threatening villain, because he's a goofy fucker, and is often the butt of the joke. There's an entire episode dedicated to Aku not being able to convert fucking children, and him making himself look like a big joke.
>>
>>92445738
No, it doesn't.
>>
>>92445802
No, it literally refers to episodes that have no impact on the main plot and is an excuse to pad a series to make it last longer. Its mostly common in shonen anime but now that american cartoons are beginning to experiment with themes other than comedies its starting to apply to them as well.
If you actually think 20 episodes of characters running errands or interacting with townies isn't filler then you delusional. Sorry.
>>
File: 1494561246984.png (365KB, 1273x503px) Image search: [Google]
1494561246984.png
365KB, 1273x503px
>>92445591
Aku's been depressed and out of commission for about 50 years. No tyrannical intervention for years in an age of technology leads to prosperity and growth.
>>
>>92445851
>everyone who cared about samurai jack series
>random anons

Why don't you fuck off you nigger. You got what you wanted, you're only on this board so you can fap to 2d sluts, some people are here because they wanted samurai jack to have a good ending that honored the previous seasons.
>>
>>92445827
>that
>character development
But it makes no sense, as I said before it doesn't make sense that Aku is depressed, he destroyed all the time portals, after the fact Jack lost his sword, Am I really supposed to believe Aku has not checked up on him for decades and realize Jack lost his sword? If anything he should've been checking up for his next move. And okay, even if you are willing to believe that Jack is indeed now a crazy fucker just roaming around the land for no reason, he doesn't confront Aku in years so Aku being stressed over it it's stupid because we know Aku can escape from fights against Jack with ease.

Aku being depressed has no development, there should've been an inbetween between the Aku that was laughing at Jack once he destroyed the last portal like a madman and the depressed Aku that doesn't even know he lost his sword.
>>
>>92444088
fourth possibility

>Jack goes back to the past in some other way
>fixes the shit there, ages and becomes king
>looks for the Guardian in the past to go back to the future for <reasons>
>>
>>92445940
Good thing then that season 5 of Samurai Jack doesn't have any filler, right?
Besides, I'm not claiming that filler is a senseless word, what I mean is that it's been overused for situations that don't fit its meaning to the point it's became a random term that is barely used correctly and is only utilized to say something negative about a story you don't like.
>>
>>92443913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--jhcJiCKo
3:04

"Oh yes. You see, I had a dream. No, a nightmare. Of a jewel that had the power to send you back in time. I knew that this was no mere dream, but a premonition!"

Confirmed: Aku can see into the future.
Confirmed: Aku had a premonition of Jack using the Guardians time portal, so he went and destroyed it.
Its a self defeating prophecy. It exists because it happens, and it happens making Aku see it, and Aku seeing it causes it to be destroyed by him, and by being destroyed by him it doesn't happen.

RIP in pepperoni Guardian.
>>
>>92445633
It's funny that you make a post like this when >>92444835 aka "If you like Ashi you must be a waifufag!" exists

You assholes are literally opposite sides of the same spectrum
>>
>>92445973
No, because he just wants to forget about Jack. The sole mention of his name is enough to ruin his day; do you really think he feels like checking on him to remind himself of how a puny samurai has the master of all masters trapped in his own fortress?

Also, he's sent everything at Jack and he's always come on top. Back in season 4 he was already showing signs of tiredness of their whole dynamic.
>>
File: chrome_2017-05-16_20-34-26.png (10KB, 815x111px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-05-16_20-34-26.png
10KB, 815x111px
>>92446074
>being this fucking retarded
I know in reddit you have usernames but in here just because your name says "Anonymous" it doesn't mean the post was made by the same person.
>>
>>92445970
>If you don't have the exact same opinion as me you're not a TRUE FAN!!!111

Fuck off. The guardian was a fucking one off character when the show was EPISODIC. There was no overarching plot in season 4, just like there was no "planned ending" 15 years ago. The end to that episode was made to be cool and changing the entire theme of season 5 to fit into it is fucking retarded.

Why aren't you fucking complaining about the fact Jack didn't jump good last episode? There was an ENTIRE EPISODE that ended on a cliffhanger of him about to beat aku and get into a portal, but there's no mention of it in season 5? He can't jump good in season 5, so you must be angry about that, right? You aren't angry about the guardian just because you wanted to see a cool epic badass fight that would've added nothing to this season, right?
>>
>Genndy explained months in advance that all time portals have been destroyed.
> been insisting since february that anons shouldn't have their hopes up about the guardian appearing given that.
>Explain over and over to the same deaf ears that the guardian has no way of defeating or hide from Aku
>The absence of time portals is a major plot point
>When asked in the Q&A about the guardian Genndy said he would be "adressed"
>Jack looking at the ground in shock in the promo of the episode

All the signs were there You refused to listen and now blame Genndy. Come on, /co/.

Althought it was a dick move from Adult swim to use that background in the promo, since it got so many hopes up.

>>92445313
>S5 Aku not being threatening

I thought the same up to when he appears before Jack and Ashi. That "Samuraiiii Jaaaaack" was perfect, it gave me shivers.
>>
>>92442093
>not being a professional artist means you can't have an opinion on art
>not being a professional writer means you can't have an opinion on books
>not being a professional chef means you can't have an opinion on food
>>
>>92446110
>Aku gets his day ruined when he is mentioned of the Samurai he BTFO when he destroyed all the time portals

Well that's fucking retarded. Also are you implying Aku became depressed the day after he destroyed the last time portal? Because that's also really stupid.
>>
>>92446211
>SAMURAI JACK
>I CAME TO KILL YOU BECAUSE I KNOW YOU HAVE NO SWORD
>*shows the sword*
>WELL NEVERMIND THEN, OFF I GO
Real scary
>>
>>92446231
Lack of expertise and knowledge doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong, but it can. There are retards that think 2001 and citizen kane are "bad and boring" because they know shit about movies. There are people who shit all over this season because they know shit about cartoons.
>>
>>92445929
His power is crazy strong though.
>>
>>92446159
And that's relevant how?

I just found it amusing that one poster is sick of Ashi fans deflecting criticism with "you must be biased" meanwhile there's an Anti Ashi poster making a very biased claim
>>
>>92442784
Yeah, because you waifu Ashi and self-insert as Jack. I swear all these "It's good because Jack is happy and in love now!" posters are so transparent.
>>
File: 148232514188.jpg (18KB, 227x344px) Image search: [Google]
148232514188.jpg
18KB, 227x344px
>>92446359
>turns out both sides are full of retards
have a prize
>>
>>92446246
Aku destroys all the time portals and leaves the Samurai to die of old age. He completely forgets about him and just lets him wander off knowing that there's nothing he can do to him. He recluses himself in his tower to stay away from Jack because last time they meet Jack was extremely pissed at him and would kill him with no banter if they ever met. And years go by and he keeps hearing of the Samurai and how he doesn't seem to age. And he realizes he fucked himself over because Jack is now immortal, looking for blood and there's no force he can send at this point that could ever stop him. So he resorts to cutting all ties with the idea of the Samurai, administrating himself therapy to the point of needed a safe space free of trigger words and still tries to carry on so his subjects don't notice that he's scared shitless of Jack's sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

It's not so hard to understand, anon.
>>
>>92446359
>I just found it amusing that one poster is sick of Ashi fans deflecting criticism with "you must be biased" meanwhile there's an Anti Ashi poster making a very biased claim
Why?
>>
>>92446289
>I'd better omit the scene that follows because it'd prove me wrong!
>>
>>92446335
It is, but the people alive might never have seen him use it. He's most likely long since abandoned the practice of actually going out and laying waste himself. All they've seen are robots and bounty hunters, and for all they know he's afraid of a guy with a sword.
>>
>>92446326
Comparing Season 5 to Citizen Kane or 2001 is a bit of a stretch.

>There are people who shit all over this season because they know shit about cartoons.

I'm sure that many of its critics aren't particularly avid cartoon fans. That doesn't mean that cartoon fans can't hold a negative opinion of the season.
>>
>>92446397
Well, sorry for sympathizing with fictional characters. I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that.
Also, self-inserting as Jack? Man, you must think I have some deep mental issues if you think I identify myself with a schizophrenic broken shell of a man.
>>
>>92446167
He jumped good to get out of the giant monster.

But to a extent I agree with this. The guardian was badass, but that is all he is. The central conflict of the story is the battle of good vs pure evil between Jack and Aku. A one off character shouldn't overshadow something as significant as that, specially since it's the only constant through the mostly episodic show. If the guardian had appeared more than once, if the same time portal had been teased through the series, then there would be a need of pay off in that aspect. But it wasn't, there's no indication that it was supposed to be the definitive ending.

>>92446397
>You can't feel sympathy without self inserting

You're pretty wrong for someone who claims to be able to read people so easily
>>
>>92446418
>Jack loses his sword immediately after the last portal is destroyed
>Aku now has to wait for him to die
>he doesn't
>Aku at some point checks on Jack and notices he has a beard (see episode 2 for reference)
>somehow he doesn't realize he had no sword

In your defending of the shitty writing you made me realize a plot hole in the season, huh.
>>
>>92446456
Omitting what? Aku still didn't do anything but make Ashi do his dirty work, if she didn't exist he would've left.
>>
>>92446289
The same happened in Jack and the zombies. Things sort of cease to be scary when you have an immediate solution to them at hand.
>>
>>92446397
As opposed to the NEETs that're mad they can't self insert as the stoic, lone warrior anymore
>>
>>92446515
He probably looked at Jack the same way someone looks at a spoilered text without wanting to read the spoiler. A quick look to understand a few words and quickly closing it. He probably checked on Jack to see if he really was alive, saw the armor, the beard and immediately turned his gaze away. Also, remember how Scaramouche, an experienced assassin, took quite a while to notice that Jack had no sword? Why couldn't that have happened to Aku?
>>
>>92446501
Sympathize all you want, but at the end of the day Jack isn't real and his happiness doesn't have an inherently positive impact on the story just because he's happy. Or was, at any rate.

>Man, you must think I have some deep mental issues if you think I identify myself with a schizophrenic broken shell of a man.
Really? Just gonna softball it in like that?
>>
>>92446565
The same way he's always left after Jack turned the tides on him?
>WE'LL MEET AGAIN SAMURAI

He already knows how this dance goes. Jack and Aku haven't personally fought since Jack vs the Swamp Monster, and that was out of desperation.
>>
>>92446618
>this post

There's no arguing with you people, you fuckers are willing to do the biggest fucking mental gymnastics I've seen to defend this show, "Oh yeah he just didn't notice the sword", fucking seriously? The one thing Aku cares about more than Jack himself? Go fuck yourself, I am done.
>>
>>92446614
NEETs are more likely to snap up waifubait.
>>
>>92446660
>fictional characters aren't real
Understatement of the fucking decade.
>>
>>92446689
They're also likely to be the "All women are evil!" type
>>
>>92446705
It's actually just a regular statement.
>>
>>92446684
>I've run out of arguments
Aku, like practically everyone, just assumes that the sword is always with Jack, always. What is so unrealistic of Aku taking for granted that Jack would still be clinging to the damn thing?
>>
>>92446684
That's exactly what happened though. It's so obvious based on Aku's personality that he wouldn't check to make sure because Jack knew if he ever took a good look, he would be fucked.
>>
>>92442413
RIP Scatman Scaramouche
>>
>>92446752
Which loops back to them snapping up waifubait because they can't carry relationships with real women.
>>
>>92446764
I still feel you're trying to get me not to care about the characters from the show on the grounds that forming emotional connections with them is stupid. Not really persuasive.
>>
>>92446496
It wasn't meant to be a full comparison, I just used the first two examples of widely acclaimed films I could think of.

Cartoon fans CAN hold a negative opinion of the season, but the two widest complaints are (in my opinion) borne from people's lack of storytelling knowledge.

There's a group of people angry about the Guardian despite him being a one-off character with no traits outside of "he's badass", and they're wrong because it would be objectively bad to add in a character that would hog the screen, force the story to revolve around them, and add nothing to the theme of the season.

The second is Ashi, and I agree that her arc could've taken up less space in the story while still retaining all the necessary beats, but people saying she's 'waifu bait' or 'completely unnecessary' don't understand her purpose. Her entire development as a character was meant to give Jack a personified link to the future that he has to choose between killing (by ending Aku in the past), or letting live (and therefore abandoning the past altogether). Her role is to act as a catalyst for the choice Jack has to make at the end; not whether to kill her or not, but whether to kill the future or let the past die.

In any case, the 5th season of Jack has some of the best western animation and storytelling to come out in the past five years, people saying it's "garbage" because it has one or two things wrong with it are overexaggerating retards, regardless.
>>
>>92446816
You're wrong. Forming emotional connections is fine, but it's stupid to argue that something is good just because it makes a character you like happy. It CAN be good because it makes them happy, but there's more to it than that. If you can just turn a blind eye to all the problems with the pacing and development because happiness, I honestly do believe that the chances are good that you're a shipper, a waifufag, and/or a self-inserter.
>>
>>92446660
>You're not allowed to feel any emotions for characters or care about the plot at all

Why are you even here?
>>
>>92445486
>unironically using youtube comments to support your point
m8 stop, I'll tell you ashi is shit, just stop debasing yourself this much
>>
>>92446920
>Her entire development as a character was meant to give Jack a personified link to the future that he has to choose between killing (by ending Aku in the past), or letting live (and therefore abandoning the past altogether). Her role is to act as a catalyst for the choice Jack has to make at the end; not whether to kill her or not, but whether to kill the future or let the past die.
Nice assumption.
>>
>>92446955
I acknowledge the problems with pacing. Some scenes go by to quickly and didn't allow me much time to savor them and I kind of resent that. Also, I still except an ending that doesn't leave Jack unscathed. However, I'm still invested in these characters, I like their arcs, I like their personalities, and I want them to come out triumphant at the end. The evident problems this season has had still bother me somewhat, but they won't keep me from enjoying the final product much more than most pieces of fiction I've experienced lately.
>>
>>92446326
>you have to like/be entertained by citizen Kane because it was innovative a long fucking time ago
Ecksdee
>>
>>92444676
>And how do we know he didn't? Outside of its effectiveness on Aku you have no indication Jack's sword is magic, it looks like just a regular blade...(outside of that one time he prayed to power it up)

Interesting. You're arguing that Jack's blade is mundane for all non-Aku related purposes, while citing an instance where it's proven supernatural for non-Aku related purposes. And underselling that episode at that, where it was specifically mentioned that the assassin droids were made of space age super materials resistant to mundane weapons, but Jack's magic-ass sword was up to the task if he was just strong enough to swing it sufficiently hard.
>>
>>92446159
you weren't being accused of samefagging you tard. Maybe learn to read?
>>
>>92447023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTVTbLOMVaY

1:27
>>
The season will be saved when AKU DEFEATS THE FOOLISH SAMURAI ONCE AND FOR ALL

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
>>
>>92447220
Ashi's mom?! How are you still alive?
>>
File: 1494968172612.jpg (44KB, 502x699px) Image search: [Google]
1494968172612.jpg
44KB, 502x699px
This season was ruined solely by Ashi. Genndy is a fucking hack trying to shoehorn in a waifu in only 10 episodes. I don't want to waste time in these last few final episodes characterizing someone new for Jack to fuck, I want to explore Jack and his problems and his struggles. I couldn't care less about Ashi. It's impossible to create a new character and have them NOT be shitty and come off as a forced Mary Sue when you only have 10 episodes to wrap up 4 seasons worth of the main character's development. It doesn't matter that she's a woman or white or young or whatever /co/mblr complains about; It's IMPOSSIBLE to make Ashi a good, likeable, reasonable character in only 10 episodes without making her a Mary Sue or a shitty character in general.
>>
>>92447023
Give me a better reason for her role in the story, then. It's the most obvious way to end the series with the information we've been provided through the nine episodes so far.

>No time portals
>Ashi can now ostensibly open time portals
>Jack's sword shown last episode to explicitly be able to temporarily give Ashi control over her body
>Ashi tells jack to go back and kill Aku, thereby freeing her and erasing the oppressive future aku created entirely

>Jack now has to decide between giving earth and his family to evil incarnate for thousands upon thousands of years or erasing the one he loves (and everyone else) from existence.

There's no other way it could go if Genndy's going to continue with the season's high stakes and the theme of Jack coming to terms with loss. Unless there's an out of the blue asspull, this is how it's going to happen. You can screencap if you're that fucking skeptical.
>>
>>92444517
The scotsman's sword was also as tough (If not tougher) than Jack's, and it had magic properties. That didn't stop Aku from shattering it like a twig.
>>
>>92447276
genndy must be some kind of wizard because that's exactly what he did.
Also, how is Ashi a mary sue? This is the only one of your complaints it think to be completely baseless
>>
>>92447276
That's not what a mary sue is. Ashi has flaws, people around her don't act as if she's the greatest thing in the world. If anything, Genndy did a pretty good job between giving her enough focus to be more than a plot device, while still making her a reflection of Jack so that she doesn't overshadow him as the main character of the show.

>IMPOSSIBLE to make Ashi a good, likeable, reasonable character

I like her. Many people seem to like her as well.
>>
>>92447375
Jack has no problem killing the sisters, but then he gets a conscience all of a sudden and instead of finishing Ashi off he wants to rescue her. Despite Ashi trying to kill him (and the both of them at once in some suicidal attempts) Jack never just drops her or lets her die. It doesn't make any fucking sense.
Ashi has spent her ENTIRE LIFE being brainwashed by her mother, and Jack undoes all DECADES of brainwash in a matter of two episodes. Ashi has been trained to kill a singular target, Jack. She has only fought her sisters, her mother, and the other Daughters of Aku cultists. She has been trained to fight a single person. She shouldn't be able to defeat an ENTIRE ARMY OF ORCS USING ONLY HER FISTS. People usually go "Jack did the same thing with the robo-beatles!" but Jack had his sword, armor, a mount, catapaults, spears, arrows, etc. along with a lifetime of learning various skills all across the world. Ashi learned a single thing, over and over and over - Kill Jack. I'm not saying she should be completely incompetent at fighting the orcs, but she shouldn't be demolishing them with ease.
Then she stops Jack from killing himself which is fucking insulting, some cunt he's known for a few days keeps spouting bullshit about hope and then he suddenly realizes he doesn't want to kill himself. And of course, the forced romance episode with 0 buildup. Ashi fucks up and makes Jack miss the starting sequence, but it's played off as cute because Ashi is Genndy's Mary Waisue.
Ashi just fucking feels forced and I hate her. I don't care if Jack gets a lady and romances her, I want it to be well-done and not thrown in at the last minute.
>>
>>92447276
Yeah I'd like this season more if Jack was more explored, at slower pace.
>>
>>92447522
You mean how she meets the people Jack helped and instead of going "Why are you looking for Jack, why should I help you, how do I know you're not an assassin trying to kill him?" they go "OH YOU'RE JACK'S FRIEND HUR DUR LEMME JUST POINT YOU IN HIS DIRECTION."
Ashi is the definition of Mary Sue. She comes out of nowhere, Jack loves her for no reason, everybody likes her, she has ridiculous combat abilities, etc.
>>
>>92447688
So like Rey from Star Wars
>>
>>92447612
This reads like a mash up of everything that's been said over the past weeks with extra salt
>Ashi just fucking feels forced and I hate her
No point trying to reason with you, then. I could tell you jack resigned to kill the sisters as a last resort, and that ashi on her own wasn't a threat to him, thus he didn't need to kill her. I could tell you jack breaking her conditioning, though rushed, followed a logical progression with ashi beggining to question her upbringing in chapter 4, listeing to what jack has to say in chapter 5 and fully discarding her indoctrination by chapter 6. I could tell you the orcs are clearly inferior to the beetledrones and 1 elite vs 1000 scrubs is a common occurrence in genndy's work. I could point out that she just told him what he needed to hear after loosing all hope.
I could tell you all of this and it wouldn't matter, you will keep whining, spouting retarded crap and convinced that you are right, because you are blinded by your own salt.
>>
Returning Jack to normal was a mistake, he should have stayed in beard mode until the last episode.
>>
>>92447742
That is the girl protag in star wars episode 7, right? Like Leia was a girl protag in episode 4-6.
>>
>>92448123
Yeah but it's Star Wars, no "insert character's name" the series, like Samurai Jack. Ashi taking so much time while being such a shitty character ruined this season completely.
>>
would have been better had they went through with the original idea of making a movie to finish the series instead of this short unbalanced season
>>
File: ce8.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ce8.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>92442413
Scaramouche was the best part of post-EP3 2bh. Seeing his intermissions was like a breath of fresh air after all that "muh waifu" Ashi bullshit.
>>
>>92444770
>Almost
>>
>>92445194
So none of the season 5 episodes were filler then, since they all either progressed the main plot or explored character motivations and development important to the main plot. Glad we got that sorted out.
>>
File: irony.png (400KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
irony.png
400KB, 600x600px
>>92445486
>I'm not autistic LOOK AT THESE YOUTUBE COMMENTS
>>
>>92450986
I never say they were.
You must have been arguing with someone else nerd.
>>
>>92447276
What more about Jack could be explored? He's not a character with a lot of depth.

Also you have no fucking clue what "Mary Sue" means.
>>
>>92441987
Nope, good season only started dragging where they piled on the awkward romance crap, but otherwise pretty good.
It's a different kind of Jack but still good.
>>
>>92441987
nah, I like it a lot
>>
>>92441987
very fucking glad The Guardian is dead desu
>>
>>92441987
Even if Jack never uses the Guardian's portal, the prophecy has to come true. We need to see King Jack.
>>
..http://www.strawpoll.me/12982841
>>
>>92441987
yeah honestly, nothing has really fucking happened. The first 3 episodes we're good and then after that it has been pretty shit
>>
>>92441987
>>92442076
Kill yourselves, retards.

An attempt at more than JUST hollow action is better than anything we could have hoped to have gotten.
>>
>>92451844
>nothing has really fucking happened
First time watching Samurai Jack, huh?
>>
I don't mind Ashi, but her involvement fucked up the pacing for a 10 episode season, this finale is gonna feel so rushee if it's the standard 22 mins long episode
>>
>>92446397
>Yeah, because you waifu Ashi and self-insert as Jack
no, that's genndy
literally
SJ's inspiration was his childhood weeb fantasies, in which he had a waifu, and in S5 the cringiest element of his fantasy's adaptation has been realized
somehow he kept all the naive horny adolescent boy awkwardness of it despite being middle-aged
>>
>>92442923
In case anyone thinks this is shitposting, I'm just copying my ratings from >>92381837
E1 7/10
E2 6/10
E3 5/10
E4 2/10
E5 4/10
E6 1/10
E7 3/10
E8 0/10
E9 ?/10
(I can't rate the first half of a two-parter by itself.)
>>
File: 1494262021013.png (292KB, 680x961px) Image search: [Google]
1494262021013.png
292KB, 680x961px
>>92452252
>EP08 0/10
>>
>>92452252
>7-6-5 for the kino trilogy
pretty harsh innit
>>
>>92452327
To be fair, I can't think of many episodes from the original that I would rate 9/10. Quite a few would qualify for 8s, though.
>>
>>92452252
Here we have another case of critical shittastitus.
>>
>>92452678
Thanks a lot man, I actually put a lot of thought into these ratings, and then you just go and shit all over them.
>>
>>92452706
Well next time you might want to develop some actual taste before thinking your opinion's worth sharing.
>>
It's weird to see Samurai Jack completely cast aside all of its conventions and tropes in this final season. It's really not the same show at all.

I'm trying to think of some kind of equivalent...

I got it. Samurai Jack is The Tom and Jerry Movie. It features all the same characters but everything else is thrown completely out the window.
>>
>>92452888
I felt the same, it's Samurai Jack... but not really. Nothing cool or memorable about it.
>>
>>92452060
Yeah, if there were at least a few more episodes Ashi could have fit in, but I feel like they shouldn't have added her since this is such a short season.
>>
People who never saw the original have no fucking connection to the Guardian.

That's the difference. If you worship the first four seasons and get your dick hard at any semblance of reference or cameo, you're just a sucker for easily digestible nostalgia porn.

Demongo showing up for five seconds probably serves as the pinnacle of the series for you autists, even though it was just a weird wizard making a partially funny quip and leaving the scene.

The show can either market itself to a fanbase of a ten year old cartoon or try to expand its horizons.
>>
File: TeenTitansTogether.png (177KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
TeenTitansTogether.png
177KB, 500x348px
>>92452763
I did, that's why I'm rewatching Teen Titans instead.
>>
>>92453515
You... you do realize it's just 10 episodes, right?

The original fanbase IS the fanbase, for all intents and purposes.
>>
File: it's you.png (209KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
it's you.png
209KB, 500x293px
>>92453517
>Shits on Jack
>Would rather be rewatching garbage instead
Makes sense.
>>
>>92453545
>Shits on Jack
I'm only shitting on this rebo- uh, new season.
The original series is basically a work of art.
>Would rather be rewatching garbage instead
The cartoon with the strongest writing ever isn't garbage, unless you compare it to anime maybe.
>Makes sense.
Yep, I'm glad you agree.
>>
>>92453647
>The cartoon with the strongest writing ever isn't garbage
Agreed. Good thing it isn't Teen Titans.
>>
>>92453660
Name a stronger one in that sense then.
Actually, name several, because I doubt you'll even be able to find one that actually fits.
>>
>>92453721
The entirety of the DCAU, including the less good shit like Zeta and Static, Spectacular Spider-Man, Over the Garden Wall, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Gravity Falls, Samurai Jack (all seasons), Avatar The Last Airbender, most classic Warner Bros. comedies, Popeye, The Adventures of Tintin and I could go on. Teen Titans is fucking trash, finding a better written cartoon, be it action-wise or comedy-wise isn't a hard task.
>>
>>92445180
Why then do you label Genndy as a savior of western animation industry, when he makes the same mistakes and only cements the whole thing further into the ground?
>>
File: outrageous.jpg (24KB, 381x342px) Image search: [Google]
outrageous.jpg
24KB, 381x342px
>>92445180
But I did put all my hopes and dreams into this season, hoping it'd be the best thing and it's 100% delivering on my expectations?
>>
>>92453817
>Gravity Falls, Samurai Jack (all seasons), Avatar The Last Airbender
These don't even come anywhere close to TT in writing quality (though SJ only really suffers for a lack of continuity, otherwise it could surpass it).
>Spectacular Spider-Man, Over the Garden Wall
These are pretty good but ridiculously overrated.
>Popeye, The Adventures of Tintin
Seriously? Is this a joke?
>The entirety of the DCAU, most classic Warner Bros. comedies
Yeah, no. Now you're just being lazy, anon.
>Zeta and Static, The Mysterious Cities of Gold
No comment, but based on the rest of your list things aren't looking good for your silly assertion.
>>
>>92441987
Let's be honest: your nostalgia goggles are preventing you from enjoying a good thing

>b-b-but Jack has a girlfriend now and he didn't fight the blue guy everything's ruined because it doesn't follow the fanfic I wrote in my head about how the show should end

Learn to fucking enjoy things that don't pander directly to you.
>>
File: 1494476065663.png (460KB, 565x488px) Image search: [Google]
1494476065663.png
460KB, 565x488px
>>92446326
>There are people who shit all over this season because they know shit about cartoons.
>anyone who doesn't like the current season doesn't know shit about animation

What an asinine point of view. Your opinion is basically "nobody who knows anything about animation can dislike my precious season 5"

I fuckin' love Samurai Jack, and have since it originally aired, but this season has serious issues from a writer's perspective. Episodes 1-6 were pure gold IMO, but episodes 7+ have felt almost out of touch with the rest of the show.

You're entitled to like the season, but when you start claiming anyone who criticizes it is an ignorant pile of shit, then you're just being an ignorant pile of shit yourself.
>>
>>92454545
>Episodes 4 and 6 were pure gold
What the actual fuck, man.
>>
>>92454530
>muh nostalgia goggles
fuck off
>>
File: aku btfo.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aku btfo.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>92442129
>Literally only the OP god-forged sword can hurt him.

I swear, there are so many people who think this who clearly didn't watch the original show, or just don't remember it.

WebM related is episode 12, "Jack and the Gangsters", showing Aku getting BTFO by a spirit.

Aku can and has been hurt by things other than the sword. Aku tried for eons to steal the Neptune Jewel from the spirit and got his shit kicked in every time and eventually gave up.

There's no reason to suspect the Guardian could not be a similar entity that Aku eventually left alone due to his inability to deal with him.
>>
>>92454596
Are you really this stupid?
They're spirits, and so cannot be hurt like mere mortals. Jack had to turn them against each other to win.
The Guardian was clearly hurt by Jack, even if it barely affected him. Aku could just keep going.
>>
>>92454596
This whole episode was fucking stupid

>one hit to finish aku
>nope sorry
>>
>anons actually expected it to all be suicide jack
Remember how the first three episodes of season 1 were basically a movie with a darker pitch? Suicide Jack was exactly like that.

I'm happy we see the transition from that hopeless scenario into a Jack that can smile and love. But I agree on a few points.

The ghost samurai thing was really rushed, as was the reason Jack lost the sword. I get what they were going for, but it was all build up and little pay off.
>>
File: space-ghost.jpg (10KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
space-ghost.jpg
10KB, 320x240px
>>92454649
>someone says only the sword can hurt Aku
>someone provides indisputable evidence to the contrary
>somehow still try to argue about it

Truly being you must be suffering.
>>
>>92454684
I feel ashamed that I share a fandom with you.
>>
>>92447276
There's nothing Mary Sue about Ashi. Her abilities and power are perfectly justified in context (especially after Ep. 9)
>>
>>92454713
I am sorry that I share a fandom with people that are retarded and I am not crying like yourself.
>>
They definitely needed a full season. 10 Eps isn't enough.
>>
>>92454708
You still don't get it. They didn't have to HURT Aku, only STOP him from getting the jewel. If the spirits are equally untouchable, that's that.
>>
>>92454732
She's a Mary Sue for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to with her powers and abilities (which may be justified now, but the justification was itself an asspull).
>>
>>92454740
Yeah, Aku isn't being hurt here AT ALL!! He's just grimacing and flying off a cliff for funsies.
>>
>>92454734
You seem very upset. I think you're crying.
>>
>>92454777
Is he seen having to regenerate like he does after being cut by the sword? No? Then fuck off, anon.
>>
>>92454596
I haven't watched that episode in a long time, so I might be talking out of my ass, but

isn't everything regarding that jewel harming Aku told through story? Is it possible that the jewel can't do anything to him at all, and the story is just something conjured up by the characters?

Call it a bullcrap explanation, but it's an explanation.
>>
>>92454797
I pity you; you genuinely seem to suffer from diminished cognitive faculties and it greatly affects your judgement.

Aku is objectively being hurt by those spirits. I'd tell you to watch the webm or look at the picture again so you can see him screaming in agony as he's thrown from a cliff, but you'd just ignore that objective data and rationalize your shit perspective with non-answers.

I truly do feel pity for you; it's very sad.
>>
>>92454814
>Call it a bullcrap explanation

It's a bullcrap explanation, which mean it isn't an explanation. You're literally making shit up and wishing it were the way the episode is meant to be interpreted, when there is no reason to do that other than defending the notion that only the sword can hurt Aku, which we know empirically to be false.
>>
>>92454792
You're having the problem here, mate. Stop crying and move on.
>>
>>92454876
It's okay, brah. There there. Just let it all out.
>>
>>92454792
>>92454894
This anon is NOT me.
>>
>>92454837
>>92454853
You refuse to listen to what others are saying. There is no point in continuing this argument.
>>
>>92454837
Not that guy, but even Aku is being hurt against the spirits that's irrelevant as fuck since they're obviously higher entities than the guardian. I don't even know why you guys are bringing this shit as some proof the guardian should stand any chance against Aku.
>>
>>92455017
Well he's right that IF those spirits actually were hurting Aku then the oft-repeated concept of the sword being the only thing than can hurt him is out the window, regardless of the Guardian debate.
(Which most of /co/ would say meant that Genndy lied to us "again", even though he didn't lie the first time.)
>>
>>92442132
what does everyone have against the exacping from the creature episode?
>>
>>92454977
I'll reiterate:

>someone says only the sword can hurt aku
>inarguable evidence to the contrary is presented
>this evidence is promptly ignored

Who is the one "refusing to listen" here?
>>
>>92455017
>they're obviously higher entities than the guardian

I disagree. Jack beat those entities, but lost HARD to the Guardian.

There is no basis for saying the Guardian is *obviously* a lesser being.
>>
>>92455083
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.
>>92455096
Because you're the only one who sees it as proof, even after being presented with counterarguments.
>>
>>92455118
>Because you're the only one who sees it as proof

Factually incorrect.

>even after being presented with counterarguments

Not a single counterargument presented was founded in logic. "Aku wasn't being hurt in that scene where he was being hurt by a spirit and thrown off a cliff while screaming! Nuh uh!" is not an argument. I can understand why an infant might think it is, though.
>>
>>92455118
nope actually confused
>>
>>92443896
Corrupted Ashi is CUTE I say, CUTE!!!
>>
>>92455111
Jack only beat them by turning them against each other. There was no such option in the Guardian fight.
>>
>>92455184
Yes, Jack beat them. Didn't beat the Guardian.

I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>92455172
That episode literally has NO redeeming qualities, besides being blatant filler. There's a reason it's the only episode I've given 0/10 so far: >>92452252
>>
>>92455196
Oh fuck off, you're even dumber than >>92455144
>>
File: 2cool.jpg (11KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
2cool.jpg
11KB, 312x312px
>>92455225
You seem upset.
>>
>>92455250
Yeah, I'm upset that this level of stupidity exists.
>>
>>92455212
>i gave it a 0 out of ten
>rating is a 2
am i having a stroke?
>>
File: 1490329562027.jpg (6KB, 250x246px) Image search: [Google]
1490329562027.jpg
6KB, 250x246px
>>92442093
please go back
>>
>>92455292
Don't be so hard on yourself. Getting upset at your unimaginable stupidity won't make it any better.

Just try to work on your critical thinking skills and you can improve!
>>
>>92445114
>implying aku wont temp samurai faust with a time portal back if he spares him.
Who am I kidding, jack would turn it down instead of abandoning the future.(assuming it's a split timeline kinda deal)
>>
>>92455310
Oh, right - I thought you meant the recent one, where they were ALSO escaping from a creature.
Episode 4 is better, but just insanely boring.
>>
>>92455384
ah that makes a lot more sense i should specified form inside the creature i forgot 8 was them running from a creature yeah 8 is garbage for anyone who isnt ship trash like me or anime awkward moment loving trash like me
>>
>>92442093
we did it reddit
>>
File: JUST.jpg (14KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
14KB, 300x400px
>>92442093
What is John F Gennedy's body of work exactly?
>Dexter's Lab
Very hit and miss cartoon that was kinda overshadowed by the other Cartoon Cartoons of its era. Even then he had several other animation buffs like Hartman, Renzetti, McCracken, and MacFarlane working on it. Once those guys left it went to shit (before the Savino seasons).
>Samurai Jack
His magnum opus. It's renown mostly for being the retirement home for Mako. Walked around nowhere for four seasons until it was cancelled, and a cult following plus Genndy's own wishes brought it back for a rushed conclusion.
>Star Wars Clone Wars
Ehh... I hear his was good here but I don't really care for it or the hundreds of other renditions of Star Wars, especially those centering around the Sheevquels. Pre-existing IP that you'd have to be pants on head retarded or George Lucas to fuck up.
>Sym-Bionic Titan
Unremarkable anime-wantabe that no one remembers anything about except for the booty shake scene because "WHOA... LOOKS LIKE CARTOONS AREN'T JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE.. WOW" moments are the cheapest way to get recognition here.
>Hotel Transylvania
Rubbish.

He also had a hand in the creation (though not production) in one of the biggest piles of shit in the modern cartoon era, Steven Universe.

So that's two good but not earth-shattering cartoons, two average ones, one forgettable one, a shitty movie.... A decent body of work, but does not really compute with the retards here acting like he's some sort of unparalleled genius in the industry. His jokes miss a lot, his art style is even more jagged than Hartman's, he spams the same sound effects (this was especially noticeable in the episode where Jack and Ashi were chased by the Lekgolo worms, or Jack's sword unsheathed that one goes all the way back to Dexter!), his plots essentially just boil down to giant anime references.
>>
>>92441987
>>92442076
Nope.
>>
>Strawpoll average for all the episodes still rank them somewhere between 8 and 10.

/co/mplainers confirmed for vocal minority.
>>
File: 1459193428717.png (791KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459193428717.png
791KB, 1280x720px
>>92457454
>Strawpoll
>>
If Jack had kept the beard I'm sure the shipfaggotry wouldn't have happened outside of daddyfags
>>
It would have benefited a lot from like 3-5 more episodes. I am still thankful we're getting a conclusion.
>>
>>92442093
Fuck off Genndy you waifufag
>>
>>92451870
>action in SJ
>hollow

Seriously, nigger? The action is literally the only reason why SJ is as beloved as it is.
>>
>>92446211
>I thought the same up to when he appears before Jack and Ashi. That "Samuraiiii Jaaaaack" was perfect, it gave me shivers.
While that was great, I am genuinely sad that Aku didn't do a complete 180 in overall mood when Scaramouche told him about Jack losing his sword. I was hoping that the information would bring back the bombastic Shogun of Sorrow that we all know and love, but his immediate reaction was so subdued it was like he didn't even care that he now had the upper hand against his mortal enemy.
>>
>>92441987
Nah, it's as good as I could hope. I mean if we look at TTG and new PPG and consider what we got with season 5....It's good. I realize there are some pacing issues in that the plot points seem to happen a bit too fast for my liking, but meh. Way better than I thought. It's a strong 7 for me.
>>
>>92454737
10 episodes is a typical full season for an [as] show.
>>
>>92457407
>>Hotel Transylvania
>Rubbish.
bitch
>>
Genndy mentioned in an interview that this new season of Samurai Jack has been the most arduous project he's been involved in in quite a while. Whether you like the final product or not, you have to admit that Genndy did put a lot of effort in giving a finale to one of his most priced works.
>>
>>92460165
>Whether you like the final product or not, you have to admit that Genndy did put a lot of effort in giving a finale to one of his most priced works.

Not even close. Episodes from episodic seasons had much better action, art, music and overall coherence. This finale looks like he was tired and had to make whatever shit just to be done with it. It shows.
>>
>>92460198
I'll take "shit I just made up on the spot to fit in with internet cynics and thought it sounded more meaningful in my head" for 600, Trebek.
>>
>>92460198
They really didn't.
>>
>>92460264
>what is jack vs shinobi
>what are bounty hunters
>what is jack vs zombies

and a lot more.
>>
>>92445578
I agree with this anon's opinion.
>>
>>92443943
It's hard to replicate Mako, anon. Baldwin's the closest thing you can get, and I appreciate that Genndy wanted to keep it similar.
>>
>>92457407
This, this is a good summary of Genndy's persona.
>>
>>92453517
>TT
>>92453647
>he likes anime too
People this autistic are hard to come by
>>
>>92443943
Baldwin's been great, m8, especially in that latest episode. He's even got the laugh down.
>>
So how would the show have ended if Aku found out about Jack missing his sword in the first episode?

>aku shows up
>jack is screaming at a river
>>
>>92442717
Like many people, I don’t like the Jack/Ashi romance. Firstly I think it’s creepy since she basically has the mindset of a child (literally the first Jashi moment is Jack telling her a bedtime story his parents told him as a child) and has been brainwashed by an evil cult all her life, meanwhile he has decades and decades of world experience (yes he’s a relationship novice too, but still it feels like there’s a massive social power imbalance here). Secondly I don’t think it has done well, it’s been really silly and cringey so far. Thirdly I don’t think it really makes sense. Ashi has just realized that she knows nothing about the world and all her former core beliefs are lies – she needs someone to teach her new values and show her the truth. Jack (at least a few episodes ago) had lost any hope of fixing the evil that is Aku and felt that all his struggles were meaningless – he needs someone to show him he has a meaningful positive impact on the world even if he hasn’t accomplished his main goal yet. That lends itself well to a mentor/student relationship or maybe a father/surrogate daughter relationship, Jack can teach Ashi and have proof right in front of him that he’s making someone’s life better. To me those are more interesting angles to explore than “okay, let’s kiss!” which is basically all we’ve gotten out of the romance angle. And I don’t hate romance plots, but I don’t like them when they go nowhere or feel unnecessary. And it sort of feels like they compromised character arcs to try fit the romance – they spent multiple episodes building up Jack’s inner demons and Ashi’s cult indoctrination and then kinda randomly decided that those problems were now fixed.
>>
>>92460723
Evil Ashi and hippie Ashi are like completely different characters, her development sucked and it feels like it would need at least 4 seasons to make it less awkward.
>>
>>92460198
The original run felt low-budget and had plenty of errors and such, I do think it had a better style and pacing in general but it was pretty basic technically speaking.
>>
>>92445014
Except they broutht back a dozen of other fuckers who were much less memorable (you can't seriously tell me more people were awaiting fucking Woolies than the Guardian)
>>
>>92441987
It's just been getting more disappointing as it goes on. Like each episode is getting worse than the one before it.

The first episodes were pretty amazing, but it's so hard to enjoy it when it's as rushed as it is.

I still don't see what the point of Ashi is and her screen time also doesn't help the feeling of it being rushed. I don't think the final season is a great place to introduce someone and imply they are pivotal to the plot
>>
>>92445606
I guess they just decided to randomly add spooky music and turn him into a bunch of tentacles here, of course this wasn't made to make him more threatening at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
>>
File: 1494747962556.gif (1008KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1494747962556.gif
1008KB, 480x270px
>>92441987
Everything was great till episode seven or eight with that forced kiss.

>Why not have Jack go to the pass and hookup with an ancestor of Ashi?
>>
>>92442076
>falling to the /co/ hive mind
Its been pretty good, I dont see what's wrong with it
>>
No you guys just hate anything that's different from the regular formula of random shit every episode
Of course there's going to be flaws when they try to keep episodes connected to finish off the series
That doesn't mean we have to suddenly ignore all the great moments because you didn't bet what you wanted
X9 didn't have a happy ending, that doesn't mean the entire season sucked
>>
>>92457407
>Very hit and miss cartoon that was kinda overshadowed by the other Cartoon Cartoons of its era.
Are you fucking serious? It's a classic that literally everyone knows and the name "Dexter" became synonymous with "smarty pants nerd".
>>
>>92457407
Are you seriously trying to convince me that Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, and SWCW weren't classics?

We're hitting contrarian levels that shouldn't even be possible
>>
>>92462715
They are overrated, thats for sure.
>>
>>92442066
No, it started decent at best. Themes like PTSD, blood and sex have no place in samurai jack, which is actually a pretty mature show in the real sense of the world as opposed to today's "edgy = mature" definition. Obviously it was a kid's show but while it dealt with simple/obvious themes, it did so smartly. Quite the opposite as this season, even from the start.

Moreover samurai jack is an episodic show. Continuation naturally happens, but jack should have been encountering ashi (or, really, all the sisters) during his adventures. Maybe one sister per episode with a completely different ploy everytime as he is on a mission to find the sword, for instance.
It's only artistically that the show started strongly. While art was a strong point of samurai jack, it was never the only point.
>>
>>92464780
>one sister every episode
that would be repetitive and boring as fuck, I was so glad when he started killing them all at the same time but sadly one survived
>>
>>92464818
The idea would be that the format of each episode would be completely different because the sisters would have completely different plans to beat jack, from seducing him to controlling a village of innocents like puppets, to fighting him headon, to hit and run while jack is just going forward. Needless to say I'm no writer so my ideas ARE boring, but hopefully you get the point: they wouldn't' just be fighting him in different ways, hell they wouldn't even be fighting him for the most part. You could have a goddamned cooking competition episode where a sister challenges jack and he has no choice but to compete or some shit.
>>
>>92441987
not really.
I really hope that there is no way back for Jack
>>
>>92457407
>hit and miss
American education everyone!
>>
File: laugh elf.jpg (87KB, 800x1335px) Image search: [Google]
laugh elf.jpg
87KB, 800x1335px
>it's a MUH HEADCANON episode
>>
>>92464986
>its an autistic shitposter episode
I hate this channel.
>>
Let's settle this once and for all.
http://poal.me/6wc48d
>>
>>92462655
Poindexter was already in use long before the show
>>
>>92441987
First three episodes were amazing, the nostalgia episode was great, though it would have been better if it were Jack meeting all the people he had helped, and this last episode wasn't too bad. The other four were pretty bland and forgettable.
>>
Ah now with a proper translation
Without a Tenkūnobuki, The Guardian was dead meat against Aku.
>>
fuck off OP I'm loving it
>>
>>92465086
>the nostalgia episode was horrendous fanservice
FTFY
>>
>>92465048
>Ashifags vs Anti-ashifags

Pottery.
>>
>>92442093
Hey Genndy/Bryke/Hirsch
>>
>>>92465086
>the nostalgia episode was great
No, it wasn't. It was an unentertaining revisit of older characters (half of not even the good ones) and ended up wasting time.
>>
File: LOK_obsession.jpg (40KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
LOK_obsession.jpg
40KB, 500x281px
Yep. And for half of year after this season ends, criticisms of it will met with:
>You were just expecting too much
>It's just a cartoon
>You're just being contrarian

We've done it before and we'll do it again.
>>
File: 1493546061292.jpg (54KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493546061292.jpg
54KB, 853x480px
It's over m8's
>>
>>92469181
I feel like I've seen this before somewhere... This exact stance in particular
>>
>>92442076
I disagree
>>
>>92469374
you're not anyone. You're nobody.
>>
>>92467970
>half of year
Bro, faggots are still making Korra hate threads. The obsession doesn't end.
>>
>>92469581
The joke doesn't work that way, you have to have said "nobody" originally.
>>
>>92445289
underrated
kek
after his fight with jack i had the song in my head for like 2 days just because of his name
>>
>>92442413
should have removed ashi for more Scaramouche
>>
i like the new season, some of the writing's flawed but i think the main problem here is that too many people expected it to be perfect.

nothing's going to live up to the hype if people expect it to be perfect, that's just how it works
>>
File: rf aku ugh.gif (543KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
rf aku ugh.gif
543KB, 640x480px
>>92460663
"IT KIND OF TAKES THE FUN OUT OF IT WHEN YOU AREN'T EVEN LUCID ENOUGH TO TORTURE, SAMURAI."
>>
>>92442076
Having not followed the show when it was on originally, this season really caught me and got me invested consistently. Also got me to watch the original beforehand, which was also great.

I think it's been really refreshing to have something like this airing, and even though the romance was awfully sudden, every other character and storytelling beat the season's handled has been really solid.

I think it's one of those things where people wanted it to badly for years that no matter what came out, it would have felt a little anticlimactic. Is it absolutely perfect? No, but it's still really solid, and I've personallr really grown invested in Jack, Aku and Ashi as well, as have most of the folks I know watching it. The art direction's as beautiful as ever, and it's managed to kee the tone consistent with the original while also taking advantage of the loser restrictions placed upon them without it feeling forced.

Samurai Jack in has always been more concerned with the journey rather than the outcome of it, and now that we're approaching the endgame I think some folks are having mixed feelings, which is alright.

Personally, I think its deserved whatever praise it's been getting, and I, alongside plenty of others, are looking forward to the ending.
>>
>>92460520
And his FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL was fuckin' fantastic.
>>
>>92457407
Dexter was one of Cartoon Network's most important original cartoons, always central to the Cartoon Cartoon phenomenon, got a movie, and got continued even after the core staff stepped away because CN could NOT let it go.

Samurai Jack was super-popular even in reruns and won a boatload of awards.

Clone Wars literally exists because GEORGE LUCAS noticed how much his kids liked Samurai Jack and said "do that, but in one minute, for Star Wars."

Sym-Bionic was mostly just competent, but not remarkable to me.

I don't watch 3D trash, so I didn't watch Hotel Transylvania.

You're also leaving out shit Genndy worked on not as the creator, like Power Puff Girls.
>>
File: Aku Samurai Jack.png (840KB, 3341x2676px) Image search: [Google]
Aku Samurai Jack.png
840KB, 3341x2676px
>>
>>92441987
I disagree.
>>
File: Mettaton(2).jpg (93KB, 525x705px) Image search: [Google]
Mettaton(2).jpg
93KB, 525x705px
>>92469350
What are you talking about, anon?
>>
>>92471527
I fucking knew it. Gennecancer showing his nose.
>>
File: 1447462607956.gif (266KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
1447462607956.gif
266KB, 500x431px
>>92471658
No anger, only happiness
>>
>>92442195
>>92442784
>>92443388
>>92443497
>>92445578
>>92451870
>>92457435
>>92462005
>>92469374
>>92471066
Perhaps I worded it wrong, I don't think anyone with taste* disagrees at this point.
>>
File: 1494134450413.png (2MB, 1281x718px) Image search: [Google]
1494134450413.png
2MB, 1281x718px
>>92471948
Ooops, wrong again. Only people with extreme buttpain agree at this point.
>>
File: IMG_7692.png (293KB, 680x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7692.png
293KB, 680x330px
>>92471948
We all know you have no taste and can't get over your retarded headcanon. Episode 9 has everyone on the edge.
>>
>>92472176
>>92472276
And the no taste plebs come right through
>>
File: IMG_7724.png (187KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7724.png
187KB, 624x352px
>>92472317
Then how would you have done it? What'd you want to see Anon?
>>
>>92472373
What's the point, you will say "lol that's dumb" like everyone of you cocksuckers always do but then go to defend a romance interest in the last season of a show that wasn't about romance that also had a 50 year timeskip for no reason.
>>
File: IMG_7720.jpg (101KB, 1514x610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7720.jpg
101KB, 1514x610px
>>92472403
Now I'm legit curious. What the fuck did you want to see? None of the previous seasons had any continuity in them, save the Scotsman.
>>
>>92472491
A journey of the body, mind and spirit where Jack recovered from a rock bottom so below there was nowhere to go but up, the conclusion to many of the original's season unfinished plotlines, beloved fan characters making an apparition in interesting ways and an Aku that actually had any appearance in the story, all with good animation and action with well done, familiar pace, visuals and tone to that one of the original series.

So basically Samurai Jack but 50 years into the future and now it's ending. I really don't care about specifics as long as Genndy didn't asspulled his way through the season, but that's too much to ask for.
>>
File: 1415063245146.jpg (38KB, 319x378px) Image search: [Google]
1415063245146.jpg
38KB, 319x378px
>>92441987
>If Jack arrived to fight Guardian, it would have been seen as some 'fulfilling the prophecy' trope and shat all over
>If Aku killed Guardian, it would have been seen as 'Fate isn't set in stone' trope and shat all over.

Truly no way to win.
>>
then don't watch?
>>
>>92442076
Speak for yourself stupid faggot. Christ you guys are obnoxious as fuck
>>
>>92472743
>>92471948
>>
>>92472603
lol that's dumb
>>
>>92472704
Nice memes but not having jack fighting the guardian for the portal would be the last straw, downgrading sj season 5 from the current rating of 6/10 to a 3/10 at best.
>>
File: IMG_7696.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7696.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>92472603
I think it's safe to assume the shoulin monks are still alive, space princess is kill. Many of the other characters you knew are kill.
>>
>>92472603
>A journey of the body, mind and spirit
What the fuck does this even mean?
> Jack recovered from a rock bottom so below there was nowhere to go but up
So literally the first 7 chapters?
>the conclusion to many of the original's season unfinished plotlines
what plotlines? Every episode except the guardian's was self contained
>beloved fan characters making an apparition in interesting ways
You mean like in chapter 6? Or does that not count because you didn't like it?
> Aku that actually had any appearance in the story
What is there for him to do before their final confrontation?
> I want to be personally catered to, but that's too much to ask for.
>>
>>92473264
I already told you I'm not having this argument again, you can continue to have shit taste if you want, this new season is garbage.
>>
>>92473290
>ugh, just accept I'm right. I can't even with you.
stay mad forever
>>
>>92473403
>I'm entitled to be proven wrong
Just go tell your mom that the sky is green, she'll call you a retard and you'll save me 30 minutes.
>>
>>92441987
I hate to say it, but it is a bit. I still like it though, but there has certainly been a theme of "let's hype this thing up then put it out like a candle in water."

I've been a Jack fan since the movie premiered on CN, so I know my expectations are high. But still, it seems like Genndy is going out of his way to dodge things that people would like to see.
>>
>>92473422
>He disagrees with me so therefore he's retarded

Whoa, such thinking capacity

>>92473290

>Backpeddling this hard

Hahahahahahahha
>>
>>92473422
m8 if you have a problem with people challenging your opinion maybe refrain yourself from sharing your dumbass opinion
>>
>>92443497
My issue has been that Aku really hasn't had a chance at all to feel like the force of evil he is. A great thing about him used to be that one minute he did THICC, then the next Jack is running for his life from him in a graveyard without his sword.

This entire season has made him silly, but with no intimidation factor to really offset him. Even him wiping out an army felt too downplayed.
>>
>>92473505
>state that I don't want to argue in the first place
>retard doesn't get it
>somehow he isn't retarded
>>92473515
Actually the new season is bad, that's just a fact, not opinion. It's okay to like bad things, but just because you like them it doesn't make it good.
>>
>>92473542
>state that I don't want to argue in the first place
then maybe you need to voice your enlightened thoughts on a safer space, like tumblr, where you can just block everyone who disagrees with you, how's that sound pal?
>>
>>92473611
Nah, posting here makes you mad and I like that.
>>
>>92447107
Do you even know what the definition of "appearance" is? We're talking about how the sword LOOKS not how it acts.
>>
File: 1492530597888.png (82KB, 330x235px) Image search: [Google]
1492530597888.png
82KB, 330x235px
>>92469181
T H I C C
>>
>>92442129
I wanted The Guardian make a pile of Aku minion corpses at least. That would have been a perfect short to do. Along with shorts on how the various characters are doing in the 50 years between season 4-5. Show the little kid Jack rescued, The Archers, Dog Professors, Monkey Tribe and so on. Did the Spartans hold the line?
>>
>>92460723
>>92460789
Agreed.

>>92476986
But he did? That's what Jack walks through before he gets to the glasses.
>>
>>92476986
The Spartans got their 50 years into the future in their episode, don't you remember? Jack helped them defeat the Minotaur machines.

Then the spartan fighting by jack's side retells the tale as an old man.
>>
>>92477178
The old Spartan says that Jack is still out there 50 years later.
>>
File: 1491940908829.jpg (69KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
1491940908829.jpg
69KB, 363x363px
>>92443370
>magic isn't actually real
ISN'T WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO THINK, FLESH PAWN?
>>
>>92454596
I cant believe Aku was defeated in episode 12 and the series ended because some spirits were capable of pushing Aku around until he got tired and left.
Thread posts: 420
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.