[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When does this stop being an episodic comedy and start being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: gravity falls.png (1MB, 1040x612px) Image search: [Google]
gravity falls.png
1MB, 1040x612px
When does this stop being an episodic comedy and start being something meaningful? You know, narrative-driven with an overarching plot? I see hints of it here and there but I'm at episode 10 and nothing has come of anything.

I was told this was a good western cartoon just like The Last Airbender but so far it's just something that makes me laugh every episode. It serves that purpose well but I was hoping for more. Do I need to look elsewhere?
>>
>>92417154
Shit bitch just watch shows for adults. It's about time you grew up.
>>
>>92417176
I don't wanna grow up.
>>
>>92417154
>When does this stop being an episodic comedy and start being something meaningful?
Never.
Welcome to the world of western animation.
>>92417176
All "adult" shows are family guy or south park that have even worse writing by comparison.
>>
>>92417248
>Welcome to the world of western animation.
the wasted potential pisses me off. western storywriting is sublime. they could knock serious animated television out of the park but they refuse to do it because muh "audience has an easier time following self-contained out-of-sequence episodes"
>>
>>92417214
Well, just don't end the world over it
>>
>>92417154
Around the same time it takes a nosedive in quality
>>
>>92417328
>>92417328
>they could knock serious animated television out of the park but they refuse to do it because muh "audience has an easier time following self-contained out-of-sequence episodes"
This is true.

Look at the opening sequence of UP or the ending scene in Monster's Inc. where Sully has to say goodbye to Boo. American animation is fully capable of mature writing and executing it well enough to move the audience.

But sadly, this kind of writing is only exclusive to movies. TV animation is forever doomed to be episodic comedy shit with no real pay off or meaningful writing.
>>
>>92417328
To be fair a lot of that is just executive meddling. I'm sure the writers for AT, GF, etc. would love to create incredibly tight and layered narrative arcs, but because networks like being able to play the same episode 400 times a week for that advert $$ then they make it a condition that cartoons need a lot of self-contained stories.
>>
>>92417154
What do you think of the female characters so far?
>>
>>92417519
>TV animation is forever doomed to be episodic comedy shit with no real pay off or meaningful writing.

How can you even say that after all that Adventure Time and Steven Universe have achieved?
>>
>>92417804
I hope you're joking
>>
It never becomes meaningful
>>
>>92417328
There's always Venture Bros.
>>
About two minutes into season 2.
>>
>>92417644
Wendy has a lot of potential. I can't wait until they get a chance to unfold her character now that they've gotten the obligatory crush episode out of the way.

And Mabel does a good job keeping things light and funny. Seems like she's going to be the one to grow roots and connect with the town on a personal level while Dipper focuses on the mystery side.
>>
>>92420022
Hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>92420022
Oh, I get it. You've already watched the whole show and you're doing a "naive optimistic newcomer" bit
>>
>>92417154
When bill shows up
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.