[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Future of Marvel Comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: girlshatecomix.jpg (50KB, 275x232px) Image search: [Google]
girlshatecomix.jpg
50KB, 275x232px
Think Archie Digest. Think about decades of Mickey Mouse comics nobody buys, nobody reads, nobody cares. Think reprints for new comic prices.
But, before we get there just think WCW, (pro wrestling org). Owned by Ted Turner the WCW doled out huge contracts, and wasted enormous amounts of money on staff expenses and gluttonous production costs for tv and ppv events. What fans wanted did not matter. management catered entirely to its most politically ruthless stars.They spent money and lost money until, finally, the promotion was sold to the WWE for just $4 million dollars.
We have something similar at Marvel, except they are owned by Disney, who will not shed a tear if they close the comics division. the movies and merchandise will continue to be incredibly successful. Marvel is in real danger of becoming a liability to the brand if they keep producing comics!
Thats how low Marvel has fallen.
Its just a matter of time before Disney pulls the plug on the one division that cant seem to get things right and be good caretakers of multi billion dollar properties.
I give it 2 more years.
>>
They'll restructure.

Less titles for sure, and only big sellers get one.
>>
File: MCD_cover.jpg (163KB, 630x847px) Image search: [Google]
MCD_cover.jpg
163KB, 630x847px
>Think Archie Digest
Comes out next month.
>>
>>92372917
OP pic is already a target to a lot of /co/.
>>
>>92372917
>decades of Mickey Mouse comics nobody buys, nobody reads, nobody cares

If nobody's buying them, then they stop getting printed. That's publishing.

Are you predicting something on the scale of the DC Implosion? Because uhh turns out that was survivable.
>>
>>92373496
Those come out every month.

When I was a kid, a digest like that was all you could get here. To the best of my knowledge they still are.

I would guess even in the domestic market non-Diamond retailers would buy those in, knowing that they'd sell fairly well, wouldn't attract middle-aged men hanging around the kids on the magazine aisle, and don't require huge buy-ins of multiple titles to satisfy the readership and keep them coming back to the store (which is the problem LCS have).

>>92372917
>Ted Turner

The very same Ted Turner who built up such an eclectic and valuable collection of media rights that his back catalog formed a large part of the basis of the modern Time Warner, and which was also spread in various parts to literally every other media conglomerate extant today?

The very same WCW which closed down after more than a decade of continuous operation under Turner's fresh branding (having been bought as an existing wrestling entertainment company) in 2001, yet you're still so bitter about it that you're bringing it up now like anybody's going to get that reference?

How's 40 treating you, OP?
>>
>>92372917
>Its just a matter of time before Disney pulls the plug on the one division that cant seem to get things right and be good caretakers of multi billion dollar properties.
>I give it 2 more years.

Jesus Christ, you delusional faggots. Just how can you be so ignorant about comics. Seriously, even the average /v/tard knows more about the vg industry.
>>
>>92372917
They have to keep publishing comics or they lose the rights to the characters.
>>
>>92374285
not even close to true, you are a retard who doesn't understand copyright law
>>
>>92374285
>>92374900
It's a misconception that arises not from Marvel but from DC.

Back in the late 70s, when DC were doing really, really badly compared to the glory days and everybody was convinced they would end up going out of business (which was not without precedent - Marvel and DC are part of a small group of survivors of what was once a much larger market), someone higher up in the food chain decided DC would be useful as a tax writeoff. This was in the Kinney National days - before the Warner group ended up sold to its present owners.

So what they did for years was tell the IRS that DC was making a loss (which was true) but was also holding valuable copyrights for the group (which was only technically true, as even Superman wasn't selling that well and the Superman and Batman rights were both out of house at the time, with no clear time for return) and so couldn't just be closed (as the shareholders might otherwise be expected to demand). Some of those financial losses were likely artificial - a big "loan" to another company in the group might be one way of having them end up with negative capital at the year end, for example - but at that time DC was really doing quite badly compared to the competition and to its own former achievements.

I'm not sure when they stopped using it that way, but I'd guess around the time DC was quietly offered to Marvel in the early 80s as a going concern - the IP would have had little value then other than to other publishers, and the IRS doesn't let shit like that fly for very long.
>>
File: 1486553013293.png (43KB, 178x182px) Image search: [Google]
1486553013293.png
43KB, 178x182px
>>92372917
>give it 2 years.

OP while I share your sentiment your argument lacks a fundumental understanding of IP and the the business model deployed by mulitnational media companies.

Marvel will create nothing new. There will be no new characters, no significant events ie infinity gauntlet, death of THE REAL gwen stacy and normal osborn.

Marvel is a "corn field" now and disney will farm the same earth over and over and over. Reboots or reboots. We have spiderman in blackface (miles) , a she-man for captain marvel, a muslim miss marvel, gone is cleavage or and cheesecake from Teir 1 characters, while we appeal to the non existant SJW market. All so they can sell movies and merchandise. Im sure we will get a miles movie at some point and nothing will change because idiots like /co/ keep paying to see these terrible films.
>>
File: sales.gif (18KB, 826x295px) Image search: [Google]
sales.gif
18KB, 826x295px
>>92375273
That 70s/early 80s stretch wasn't good on DC, I think all they really had at the time was New Teen Titans; not even Batman sold as much back then.
>>
Marvel's future looks bleak.

CA: Sam Wilson – #21 – 18,650

>Gwenpool – #14 – 17,972

>Captain Marvel – #4 – 17,893

>US Avengers – #5 – 17,880

>Ultimates 2 – #6 -17,350

>Dr. Strange & Sorcerers Supreme – #7 – 16,887

>Man-Thing – #3 – 16,199

>Hawkeye – #5 – 16,031

>Totally Awesome Hulk – #18 – 16,009

>Spider-Man 2099 – #22 – 15,273

>Elektra – #3 – 15,113

>Silver Surfer – #10 – 15,041

>World Of Wakanda – #6 – 14,547

>Nova – #5 – 14,525

>Silk – #19 – 13,524

>Thunderbolts – #12 – 13,780

>Kingpin – #3 – 13,765

>Rocket Raccoon – #5 – 13,373

>Power Man & Iron Fist – #15 – 13,055

>Bullseye – #3 – 12,912

>Star-Lord – #6 – 12,278

>Squirrel Girl – #19 – 11,074

>Occupy Avengers – #6 – 10,296

>Unstoppable Wasp – #4 – 9,780

>Great Lakes Avengers – #7 – 8,370

>Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur – #18 – 7,966

>Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat – #17 – 6,943

>Mosaic – #7 – 5,876
>>
>>92372917
>just think WCW
Who is the Vince Russo of Marvel?
>>
>>92372917
The only way Marvel Comics will end up like WCW is if Disney pulls an AOL and forces it to overextend itself as an excuse to shut it down. Otherwise it's more like WWE. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's not.
>>
>>92372917
I think everyone in this thread is forgetting one thing

Tron Legacy.

Disney was planning on making a large universe based around the Tron universe. Tons of tie in movies were planned as well as a few tv shows. (You all might remember Tron Uprising). And what happened to that? One movie that underpreformed, didn't even flop, and they pulled the plug on the entire thing. Even the successful TV show (I'm not bitter)

Now let's look at Marvel. Clearly everyone in the core fanbase likes the comics, but Disney views the movies as the "main" IP for them. So determining thr future of Marvel mean observing the movies. They have one major problem, they have become inaccessible to those who want to jump right in. And consider most the fans of the MCU like it because it's trendy, they will eventually move on to the next thing. It will lead to the next three movies underperforming (or flopping) and Disney will pull the plug on movies and comics. Sadly, they'll never sell it off because the IPs because Spider-Man is universally recognizable.

We are witnessing the death of Marvel.
>>
>>92376630
I've heard nothing of this in the trades? They were supposed to be making a Tron sequel, on what basis did they pull the plug? the movie made money.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.